unable to send mail from UNIX

Hi,

  I own mac OSX. I am learing scripting language using bash. I tried to
send a sample mail to my yahoo and gmail account using mail and mailx,
but I could not.

Here is the command that I used.
mailx -s "Subject" "receiver@yahoo.com" < output.txt

  Do I have to configure these programs before I can send emails?

  thanks in advance for your help.

Papu.

0
prachar (34)
11/24/2005 7:58:58 PM
comp.admin.policy 907 articles. 0 followers. renu_p_r (17) is leader. Post Follow

unable to send mail from UNIX #2
Hi, I own mac OSX. I am learing scripting language using bash. I tried to send a sample mail to my yahoo and gmail account using mail and mailx, but I could not. Here is the command that I used. mailx -s "Subject" "recei...@yahoo.com" < output.txt Do I have to configure these programs before I can send emails? thanks for the help Papu On 24 Nov 2005 12:02:39 -0800, prachar@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > I own mac OSX. I am learing scripting language using bash. I tried to > send a sample mail to my yahoo and gmail account using mail and mailx, > but I could n...

sending mail using Unix mail program from Sicstus Prolog
Forgive me if this is a newbie question. I am looking for a simple way to send email using sicstus prolog. The closest thing that i have found to a solution is using system() to access the Unix mail command. The problem that i am having is coming up with a way to specify the command in a dynamic way. I need to pass system() an atom, if i am not mistaken, but i don't know how to do it. I am looking for something like: mail(Subject, Recipient, Body) :- system('mail -s Subject Recipient <Body'),!. So, my question is, how do i generate the command to pass to system? Sincerely, ...

Unable to send a mail using mail command to locan network
Hi, I am trying to send a mail within my network but from the mail log it shows the following error. can anyone shed some light on this X-Postfix-Queue-ID: A9D351600F2 X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; rootlocaldomain Arrival-Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 13:02:16 +0300 (AST) Final-Recipient: rfc822; Action: failed Status: 5.4.4 Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name= type=AAAA: Host found but no data record of requested type Content-Description: Undelivered Message Content-Type: message/rfc822 Regards Kranthi On Tue, 1...

Need to reason with a mail admin using strange ways of sending mail out
REason I pointed out to an Enterprise admin that their mail sending server was not DNSed properly. He replied: It seemed that the RDNS was looking up our link controller, and I asked if you can remove the RDNS lookup for our domain, or fix that minor issue... Need a resolution ASAP. Hopefully I can point to this thread. -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! USA petition for dissolution of your nation! What? He wants YOU to reduce your protection level because HE is too lazy to make his mac...

Unable to send mail
Using 3.12c. Usually works fine, but occasionally have problems sending mail (short emails with no attachments) - get message: "Pegasus Mail has encountered an unidentified error on your TCP/IP network. The error code returned to Pegasus Mail was 0H. Further information on this problem is unavailable." When this happens, the outgoing messages will have a message type of "final form" and I'll receive an email saying "Delivery has failed on the enclosed message for the following reasons reported either by the mail delivery system on the mail relay host...

Send mail script step
I have a file CLASSES with the classes of a school and a file STUDENTS with the students of the shool. The two files are related with the Class_ID field. I have a layout with the data from one record of the CLASS file and a portal showing all the students in that class. I want to use a script to sent e-mails to all the students in that class (assuming that there is a e-mail address field in students file). If I use the "Use all Recordn in found set" flag the mail is sent to all the studends of the school and not only to the students of that class. If I use "Use the current rec...

unable to send to the mailing list
All the messages from pbrannan@atdesk.com to ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org in the past few weeks (months?) have been dropped and never made it to the list. Who should I contact about resolving the issue? Thanks, Paul -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On 10/27/06, Paul Brannan <pbrannan@atdesk.com> wrote: > All the messages from pbrannan@atdesk.com to ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org in > the past few weeks (months?) have been dropped and never made it to the > list. Who should I contact about resolving the issue? > It seems to be working now :) TwP Tim Pease wrote: >...

Unable to send outgoing mails
Hi All, Im running sendmail on a linux machine on a network running both windows and linux boxes. A Windows 2000 machine is connected to the internet. Im not able to send mails using the sendmail to external domains from the linux box. Looks like the external hostname is not getting resolved. Is there any specific setup to be done from the DNS side? Any pointers on this would be very helpful. Thanks Swami swaminathanms@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > Im running sendmail on a linux machine on a network running both > windows and linux boxes. A Windows 2000 machine is connected t...

Unable to download or send mail
For the last 4 days, I have been unable to download or send mail in Eudora. I was using Version 5.1, but just upgraded to version 6. That didn't change anything. I am getting error messages like "connection closed by foreign host" or server not found "pop.cox.east.net" when I try to download mail. I know that server is working, because I can access my account via the internet, but not through Eudora. Anybody have any idea what is going on? In article <d6e310d6.0311180539.7ff94853@posting.google.com>, Greg <greg@danafamily.net> wrote: > For the last 4 days, I have been unable to download or send mail in > Eudora. I was using Version 5.1, but just upgraded to version 6. > That didn't change anything. I am getting error messages like > "connection closed by foreign host" or server not found > "pop.cox.east.net" when I try to download mail. I know that server is > working, because I can access my account via the internet, but not > through Eudora. Anybody have any idea what is going on? > The correct server name is "pop.east.cox.net", *NOT* "pop.cox.east.net". Was the typo just in your post, or is it in your e-mail settings, too? -- Seth Goodman You cannot assume the pop server is working just because you can check your mail via the Internet. One has nothing to do with the other. Ignoring his agents wishes,"rila" <...

Unable to send mail locally
Hi, Please bear with me if this has been covered before but I am extremely new to sendmail. I have a server running sendmail and is simply relaying all email to an exchange server. My problem is when I look in my maillog I get a lot of messages similar to the following - to=root, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:12, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30225, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] I am sure this is something very easy to solve but after spending the past day or so working on it I am pulling my hair out. Does anyone have any ...

Unable to Send Photos via Mail
I am not able to use Mail to send multiple photos from iPhoto version 4.0.3. In the past I have had no problems sending multiple photos. The error message that I get is as follows: "Mail got an error: Can't get paragraph 8 of content message id 95236640. Invalid index". I do not know what this error message means - I would really appreciate any advice that you can provide. Thanks for your help. PLB <PLBrizz@gmail.com> wrote: > I am not able to use Mail to send multiple photos from iPhoto version > 4.0.3. In the past I have had no problems sending multiple phot...

Unable to send mail ***caution Newbie**
hi I am using Xamp , (1) When i use this script <?php $check = checkdnsrr("yahoo.com", "ANY" ); if( $check) { print "Not available"; } else { print "Available"; } ?> I get an error message "Fatal error: Call to undefined function checkdnsrr()" is it that This function has been restricted on Xampp or am i doing something wrong? (2) Now i was trying to send a mail with Following Code <?php $headres ="From:My mail address\n"; $headers.="MIME-Version: 1.0\n"; $headers.="Content-type: text/plain;charset=IS...

Unable to send mail to AOL addresses
For the past couple of days I've been unable to send mail to any AOL address using Eudora 5.2 and Comcast broadband cable service. I can send to these same addresses by using a Yahoo Mail account, but still over the Comcast server. So I don't think it's an AOL problem, but a Eudora problem. I have used the same addresses with Eudora for the last 9 months, so what's changed? Anyone know what i can do to be able to continue to use Eudora? Apparently I can't even ask a question of customer support because my service period has expired (unless I want to buy ...

Unable to send mails outside the domain!
Hello, Operating System: SCO Unixware 7.1 I installed sendmail 8.2.11. (Because I was getting a "builaddr: no mailer in parsed address" error previously) When I use the command (echo "hello" | mail shashi) to send a mail to a user on the same machine it works fine. But, when I use the command (echo "hello" | mail provo1234@hotmail.com)to send a mail to a user outside our domain, it doesn't work. I do not get any error message but the mail isn't received by the intended receiver! What could be the problem? Please help. Thanks in anticipation. Shashi ...

Unable to Send Mail to Hotmail Accounts
For some reason, recently I have been unable to email any hotmail accounts. I am able to mail yahoo accounts fine. I have copied a test email below. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this problem? Thanks for any info. -Doug -- echo test | /usr/sbin/sendmail -v myemail@hotmail.com myemail@hotmail.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... 220 www.mydomain.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:48:52 -0500 >>> EHLO www.mydomain.com 250-www.mydomain.com Hello localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250-DSN 250-ETRN 250-DELIVERBY 250 HELP >>> MAIL From:<mylocaluser@www.mydomain.com> SIZE=5 250 2.1.0 <mylocaluser@www.mydomain.com>... Sender ok >>> RCPT To:<myemail@hotmail.com> >>> DATA 250 2.1.5 <myemail@hotmail.com>... Recipient ok 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself >>> . 250 2.0.0 hBG5mqFc013013 Message accepted for delivery myemail@hotmail.com... Sent (hBG5mqFc013013 Message accepted for delivery) Closing connection to [127.0.0.1] >>> QUIT 221 2.0.0 www.mydomain.com closing connection I had a problem like this a while back that turned out to be something like hotmail doing a reverse lookup on the IP of my mail server and the ptr record was incorrectly reporting my servers name. Make sure you have a correct reverse lookup record. Bryan Martin "Doug" <dbv@h...

Unable to send mail to external domains. (Am I hosed?)
So, I have my slick Mercury server running, SquirrelMail all configured the way I like and... I can't send anything. I can send to internal addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to You@mydomain.com. I can't send to external addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to You@yourdomain.com. My /Mercury/Queue directory is chock full of these ominous QIF files reading: Error connecting to primary server '207.115.57.16'. Error connecting to alternate server '207.115.57.15'. Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.66'. Error connecting to alternate serv...

(Newb) Ximian Evolution- unable to send mail
I configured Ximian Evolution to send outgoing mail via my ISP's out going mail smtp relay (outgoing.verizon.net) and received a dialog box containing the following error msg Error while performing opertation mail from response error: Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed I receive this error message no matter who the recipient is including myself. However, if I use the same configuration on other mail clients such as MS Outlook I don't have that problem. When using Sendmail I don't receive any dialog boxes or error msgs, nevertheless, the maillogs indicate ...

Send html mail using UNIX command ?
Is it possible to send html mail using UNIX command ? Currently, I am using mailx and mpack to send mail. Now, I want to send html. mailx, mail, Mail - interactive message processing system - mailx -s "${DB} - ${KSHNAME} - ftp_error" ${xmail} mpack - pack a file in MIME format - /usr/local/bin/mpack -s "${TITLE}" -d ${TMP06} -c application/octet-stream ${TMP04} ${XMAIL} Machine : sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 OS : SunOS 5.6 On comp.unix.shell, in <1155279823.103547.167760@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>, "moonhk" wrote: > Path: text.usenetserver.com!atl-c0...

Unable to send mail after uninstalling Norton AV
A co-worker of mine has a new PC that came with a 90-day trial of Norton AV (the 2003 version, I am guessing in retrospect...) He's running Windows 2000 SP3 with all the latest fixes from Windows Update, and Eudora 5.2.1. As the subject says, after he uninstalled Norton (because of the nag screens to subscribe to LiveUpdate) he has been unable to send email from Eudora. The task begins, but just hangs up. We tried the uninstall utility from Symantec -- no go. We even tried installing the latest downloadable trial version, telling it not to scan email at all, but to no avail. My best guess is that this is related to the email scanning function, but I'm at a complete loss as to how to get it the heck OUT of the loop so Eudora will once again be able to successfully send email. Any suggestions as to where to look will be most gratefully received! George furr@mail.com (George) writes: >A co-worker of mine has a new PC that came with a 90-day trial of >Norton AV (the 2003 version, I am guessing in retrospect...) He's >running Windows 2000 SP3 with all the latest fixes from Windows >Update, and Eudora 5.2.1. As the subject says, after he uninstalled >Norton (because of the nag screens to subscribe to LiveUpdate) he has >been unable to send email from Eudora. The task begins, but just hangs >up. Earlier versions of NAV changed the POP3 and SMTP server settings of certain e-mail clients to point to itself. Check to...

Sending mail through Mail::Outlook
Hi, I am using Mail::Outlook to send email through Outlook. I've set out the code below. Everything works fine but I have two items on my wish list. 1. To be able to send attachments. I have tried '$message->Attachments('c:\file.txt');' and '$message->Attachments.Add('c:\file.txt');' but neither work. 2. To be able to send the email in html format but '$message->HTMLBody($body);' doesn't work. Are either of these possible using Mail::Outlook or do I need to go back to scratch and use another module? Thanks Paddy ###################...

sending mail otherthan mail()
Hello everyone, My server admin has blocked the mail() due to some spam problems. I need to send emails using php. Can anyone guide me to the best method of sending emails using php without using mail(). If there is any tweak to be done at the server level I will be able to convince the admin. The server has linux Enterprice edition 3 with php 4.3.11 and cpanel/whm. Please guide me to the method and i will be able to collect other information about it from google. Thanks Jaunty Edward smilesinblues@gmail.com wrote: > My server admin has blocked the mail() due to some spam problems. I ...

send mail from unix n rtf format
Hi All, I used to send email related to DBA activity to support group by sendmail & mailx. Currently it is in plain text. Cant I send it in other formats like rtf so that important things can be highlighted or put in different colours ? Thanks & Regards Manoj manoj.kushwaha <manoj.kushwaha@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > I used to send email related to DBA activity to support group by > sendmail & mailx. Currently it is in plain text. Cant I send it in > other formats like rtf so that important things can be highlighted or > put in different colours ? Shure,...

pls help me when i sent mail, it vil sending twice instead of once ,am using java.mail,am sending my code....
Every thing is working fine but it sending message twice instead of once. in the Forget.jsp page am accepting username or email <struts-config.xml> <form-beans> <form-bean name="forgotUname" type="org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm"> <form-property name="userName" type="java.lang.String" /> <form-property name="email" type="java.lang.String" /> </form-bean> </form-beans> <action-mappings> <action path="/Forgot" name="forgotUname" type=&q...

Web resources about - unable to send mail from UNIX - comp.admin.policy

Tim Cook Teases Apple Car: 'It's Going to Be Christmas Eve for a While'
Apple CEO Tim Cook has remained tight lipped about the so-called " Apple Car ," but today he dropped a hint about the much-rumored electric vehicle ...

Key Events in the Deadly Attack on a Kansas Factory
Authorities say a 38-year-old man wounded three people before he stormed into the Kansas lawnmower parts factory where he worked and shot 15 ...

Meet the Oscar-nominated sound designers behind Kylo's lightsaber
Skywalker Sound is home to Star Wars. From the first movie in 1977 to episode VII in 2015, the sound effects for the entire saga have been shaped ...

Proposed North Korea sanctions dig deep, implementation falls to China
By James Pearson and Ju-min Park SEOUL (Reuters) - From inspecting visiting North Korean ships to paring back coal imports, the burden of enforcing ...

University of Missouri fires Melissa ‘I need some muscle’ Click
It certainly took a while but the University of Missouri Board of Curators voted Wednesday to fire professor Melissa Click. The Columbia Daily ...

'Fuller House' creator says he pitched the spin-off just about everywhere before landing at Netflix
It would take some patience, a few willing original cast members, and a leap of faith by Netflix before "Fuller House" was ready to roll. A ...

Kelly Clarkson Brings Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez To Tears With Emotional ‘American Idol’ Return
Kelly Clarkson brought the house down, and in the process brought judges Keith Urban and Jennifer Lopez to tears, in an emotional return to the ...

Why Pokémon still matters 20 years later
FEATURE: We are now two decades removed from the start of the Pokémon fad, and I’m starting to think it is more than just a phase. Back in ...

Clinton deflects calls to release Wall St. speech transcripts
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton defended her paid speeches to Wall Street, saying in an interview that aired on Friday that ...

SpaceX cancels yet again its second launch mission
Elon Musk and Space X might dream of space travel that is as common as a plane flight, but we are far, far away from that future if this week's ...