Windows NT 2000 and 2003 server ?

can anybody point me in the right direction for some none microsoft
review of these three server packages.   Am tring to one of the key
areas microsoft has changed in these server packages and if they realy
do what they claim.   Have search and only found Microsoft point of
you.
0
maltwhiskey1972
4/15/2004 1:07:12 PM
comp.admin.policy 907 articles. 0 followers. renu_p_r (17) is leader. Post Follow

Migrating applications from Windows NT/SQL Server 7.0 to Windows 2003/SQL Server 2000
Hi, I've got a bunch of VB6 applications which currently run on a Windows NT/SQL Server 7.0 server config with client machines on Windows 2000. I'm planning to replace the servers with Windows 2003/SQL Server 2000 configs, keeping client machines on Windows 2000 for now. So generally speaking, are there many programming or configuration changes I'll need to make to the applications so that they'll run on the new configuration? What issues can I expect etc? I'm just after general issues any of you may have experienced by migrating from NT to 2003, and also from SQL Server...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

SQL Server 2000 and Windows Server 2003
I have several database on a Windows Server 2003. I re-registered this SQL server, which is local, and after that I cannot see any of the databases in the Enterprise Manager. The databases still work, since my applications work fine. I have no clue how can I make these databases visible in Enterprise Manager. I tried registering this SQL Server in Enterprise Manager under Windows accounts and SQL Server accounts. Nothing works. Can anybody help? df (df@df.com) writes: > I have several database on a Windows Server 2003. I re-registered this > SQL server, which is local, and after that ...

looking for unix, linux Windows NT 2000 server admin engineering positions
Anuj Joshi 23 water grant street, 7F yonkers NY 10701 Phone: 203 520 6130 E-mail: joshi@bridgeport.edu; URL www.bridgeport.edu/~joshi Objective Seeking a challenging full-time position as Network System Administrator Experience 09/02- Present Legend Electronics Inc WhitePlains, NY Netwok System Analyst Responsible for all Information Technology of the company. Maintaining and troubleshooting Windows 2000 Servers ( Active Directory, DNS and DHCP), SCO unix and Linux Server, IIS server, Apache webserver, MSSQL server, mysql server , Sendmail and Qmail server. 6/...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't...

To have SQL Server 2000 + 2005 working on a single windows 2003 server
hi all. Can i have two instalation of SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 in a single server WIN 2003 as programs seperate, without i have=B4nt conflict ? If el anwser is Yes, What it is the order of instalation and what prevention will do? Thank you for you help. Bye. Am Wed, 01 Aug 2007 20:28:43 -0700 schrieb fhernandezve@gmail.com: > hi all. > > Can i have two instalation of SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 in a single server > WIN 2003 as programs seperate, without i have�nt conflict ? > > If el anwser is Yes, What it is the order of instalation and what > prevention will do? > &g...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003
This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who don't/can't subscribe to the microsoft groups. The original thread can be read here: <URL: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.jscript/browse_frm/thread/91bd7c8dfe3c8a9f/a80a764bfb34d2ee#a80a764bfb34d2ee> Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c03d3e49-b40e-4ca1-a0c7-cc135ec4d2be&displaylang=en...

Windows 2003 server enterprise Vs Pervasive.Sql v9 for Nt server
If I use a server with 8 Gb of Ram with Os win 2003 server enterprise. Does it BeakThrough the windows limitation of 2 Gb ram for a users process for the cache memory. No. However, if you disable the L2 cache, kick the L1 cache up to a high value (such as 800MB), and enable the System Cache, you'll have better PSQL performance, since the OS will cache file data in the other 6GB of memory. Goldstar Software Inc. Pervasive-based Products, Training & Services Bill Bach BillBach@goldstarsoftware.com http://www.goldstarsoftware.com *** Chicago: Pervasive Service & Support Cla...

Server 2003 Terminal Server Group Policy in NT 4.0 Domain
I have built a Server 2003 Terminal Server, running Citrix MetaFrame XP, as a member server in our NT 4.0 Domain. We are not running AD at this time. I would like to set policies to restrict what the remote users can/can't do. I can run gpedit.msc and lock things down, but how can I keep individual users or even a group (i.e., Domain Admins) from receiving the same lockdown? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Progress OpenEdge and SQL Server 2000 Standard on Windows 2003 Server Standard
We are having some performance issues with an application that is running on Progress OpenEdge and SQL Server. The application is written in Progress OpenEdge, but the actual data itself is being stored in SQL Server. Unfortunately, the software vendor suggests that both databases reside on one server. As a result, we appear to be running into memory contention issues, and are trying to determine the least cost solution to increase performance. Here is a quick breakdown of what we currently have: Progress OpenEdge SQL Server 2000 Standard Windows 2000 Server Standard 4GB Memory Dual 3.4 Ghz Xeon Processors RAID 10 Disk Array The Progress App Servers grow in size, we have fixed SQL Server to 1.3 GB of memory. My understanding is that if we don't do this, SQL Server will grab the full two megs of memory. Since the Dell RAID automatically takes 750 meg, that leaves a whopping 1.25 GB for the OS and Progress OpenEdge. Progress OpenEdge is currently using around 1.25 GB itself. So, the question is, based on the hardware and software I have, what is the least expensive route to get more memory? I was considering Windows 2003 Server 64-bit, but I'm not sure how SQL Server 2000 and Progress OpenEdge will run on it. I could go Windows 2000 Server Enterprise, but it seems a waste to spend that kind of money on a soon- to-be obsolete OS. Upgrading the SQL Server 2003/5 is a costly option, plus the vendor does not officially supp...

SQL Server 2000 + 2005 working on same windows 2003 server as seperate instances
Hi all, I just asked some people to help me out and phone microsoft with the following information, kindly they refused unless we setup a support contract with them first, for pre-sales information. (That really does not sound like good business sense to me - anyway here is our problem, if anyone could help thanks). "To tell and ask microsoft: We will be setting up a microsoft sql server 2000 instance running on a windows 2003 server. 1) We need to check this can run alongside a microsoft 2003 sql server (either workgroup or standard edition), on the same machine. Are there any .dll c...

Standard Configuration of Windows 2000/2003 Server to act as Domino APP + Mail Server
Hello All Is there a guide to follow what steps are required in the configuration of a windows 2000/2003 server to act as a domino APP + Mail Server I.e lock down server, disk structure, services etc. Thank you :{) home@127.0.0.1 wrote: > Hello All > > Is there a guide to follow what steps are required in the configuration of > a windows 2000/2003 server to act as a domino APP + Mail Server > > I.e lock down server, disk structure, services etc. > > Thank you > > :{) > > You need almost no native processes running as D...

Windows 2000 Server / IIS / SQL Server 2000
Hi, We are using SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Server with IIS installed. Can IIS be uninstalled without affecting SQL Server? Thank you! Mike wrote: > Hi, > > We are using SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Server with IIS installed. > Can IIS be uninstalled without affecting SQL Server? > > Thank you! Just disable it in the services (unless it's being used for .net etc) ...

Using Eudora 6.0.1.1 in Windows 2000/XP with Application Data Redirected to Windows 2003 Server
Does anybody have any experience with using Eudora 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines? Per the installation guide we are using Eudora with user data stored in the Application Data folder for the user. Problems have arisen as we've migrated to Windows 2003 Server and Active Directory. Users now have roaming profiles (stored on the server) and redirected folders (My Documents and Application Data) also stored on the server. Some users also are using laptops with 'Offline Files' turned on. The problems we are seeing are... - OWNER.LOK files are not getting deleted when Eudora quits (or they are getting syncronized from the Client Side Cache to the server on log out) causing multiple instance of Eudora messages. Proceeding with "Accept the consequences" is resulting in TOC and/or MBX corruption. - We seem to be getting corruption of IN.TOC on the file server. Does Eudora support writing this file over a network connection or only to the local machines file system? Thanks for any insight. Trevor Cooper UCSD ...

SQL Server 2000 standard on Windows 2000 Advanced Server
What is the limitation of memory that SQL Server 2000 Standard can use when running on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server platform? barbd@infocision.com (Barb) wrote in message news:<c0281467.0401290832.3d8ebcb2@posting.google.com>... > What is the limitation of memory that SQL Server 2000 Standard can use > when running on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server platform? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274750&Product=sql2k Simon ...

Check Admin in Windows 2000 and NT
Hi, i want to check if the user is Administrator. The function IsUserAnAdmin is possibile only under Windows XP. How I do this in Windows 2000 and/or NT? Thank fot you answear. SLOBBE NICOLA ...

samba/winbind + windows server 2000/2003
Geez, what a can of worms samba/winbind + windows server 2000/2003 _STILL_ is today : http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.0.20a.html : "=============================== Release Notes for Samba 3.0.20a Sept 30, 2005 =============================== Recent security updates for Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 have changed the fashion in which user and group lists can be obtained from domain controllers. In short, the RPC mechanisms used by "security = domain" to retrieve users and groups is not compatible with these changes. The "secur...

SQL Server 2000 and Windows 2003 SBS
I have XP workstations and windows 2003 SBS. I setup an ODBC for an application (tried both User and System DSN), but after a few usage, I get the following error: Connection failed: SQLState: 'HY000' SQL Server Error: 0 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Cannot generate SSPI context. Any ideas? Is this a bug? -- Thank you Please post only Hi This usually occurs when you are using Windows authentication and you can not connect to the AD to authenticate the credentials. This may be due to a network issue or you are not logged onto the domain. You may want to try using SQL Se...

Installing SQL server 2000 on windows 2003
I am installing SQL server 2000 on windows 2003 and getting an error of SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS -m -q -T4022-T3659 An error occured when trying to start this service (1053) I am installing SQL under the domain admin login so I do not think rights is an issue. Also the admin is in the domain administratiors group. It creates some of the directories under c:\program files\SQLSERVER. ...

Ciscoworks 2000 running on Windows 2003 Server
Has anyone had any luck installing Ciscoworks 2000 v2.2 onto Windows 2003 Server? If you have, I would like to know!!!! I know that Ciscoworks currently does not support 2003 Server but Cisco say it's in the works but that doesn't mean you can't run it on 2003!!! IF you have problems, Ciscos won't help out...but hey, not everyone can wait for Cisco to get their act into gear!!!! Someone mentioned something about tricking the Windows 2003 Server into being a Windows 2000 Server, in which case Ciscoworks 2000 would install. Anything on this subject would be great!!! "...

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

Web resources about - Windows NT 2000 and 2003 server ? - comp.admin.policy

The Windows Blog

MWC 2016: Huawei Matebook designed to be a Windows tablet with Apple-level elegance
Chinese company sets out to fill a market gap with its 'beautiful Windows tablet', which can transform into a laptop.

HP Announces The Elite x3 Windows 10 Mobile Powered Smartphone
Windows Phone has had a rough go of it of late. Microsoft first purchased, and then basically shuttered, Nokia’s smartphone division. Instead ...

HP Elite x3: A flagship Windows phone that’s unambiguously enterprisey
(credit: HP) Microsoft has a new partner building Windows-powered phones: HP. HP Inc, the computer and printer portion of the newly split Hewlett-Packard ...

Problems booting up Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14267? Here's a quick fix
Microsoft has been rolling out new Windows 10 Insider Preview builds to the Fast ring at a rate of about one a week for the past month or so. ...

HP has an interesting plan to compete with the iPhone using Windows Phone
... device in 10 markets by the end of summer, including the US and Canada. But it's not another Android phone. It's based on Microsoft's Windows ...

Kyocera showcases concept devices and Windows Phone prototype at MWC 2015
From an emergency tablet to a handset with built-in solar charging, Kyocera shows off some of its concept devices at MWC 2015.

HP offers Windows 10 smartphone with fingerprint and iris recognition security
HP targeted security-conscious business users and IT with Sunday’s announcement of the Elite x3 smartphone that runs Windows 10 Mobile. It ships ...