Batch converting of PDF files into searchable PDF files

Hello Group

We need to convert about 500 multipage non-searchable PDF files into
searchable PDF files. The original PDFs just contain the scanned
documents and we plan to run them through an OCR program which will
afterwards save them back in the PDF format. It seems that Omnipage 12
Pro Office edition would be able to do the job but Omnipage 12
Standard, which is much less expensive, seems to have many of the same
features. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a resource which lists
the exact differences between the two programs. For now we'd require
only one or two licences but in the future may need licences for over
100 users, so Abbyy Finereader 6.0 may be interesting as well due to
their concurent user type of licensing.

My questions are the following:

We scan our documents (often hundreds of pages) using Nashuatec
copiers into PDF or TIF files which are non-searchable and store them
into individual network folders for each user. We are looking for an
easy, possibly automated method to run them through OCR software and
then store them into searchable PDFs.

Omnipage 12 Office has a feature which automatically batch processes
new files in a folder. Does Abbyy Finereader Corporate Edition have a
similar feature and what differences are there between Omnipage Office
and Standard? Is there another software or add-on which would be ideal
for the task we want to perform? We really only work with PDF and Word
2000 formats and so could live well without Omnipage's XML output
option. Would you recommend going with the (apparently) superiour but
more expensive Omnipage 12 or would the cheaper Finereader 6.0 do the
job. Document quality ranges from excellent (laser printed documents)
to so-so (laser-printed faxes, xeroxed documents etc.).

Thanks very much for any input

Hans
0
zbinden
7/15/2003 9:30:32 PM
comp.ai.doc-analysis.ocr 462 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"HZ" <zbinden@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Group
>
> We need to convert about 500 multipage non-searchable PDF files into
> searchable PDF files. The original PDFs just contain the scanned
> documents and we plan to run them through an OCR program which will
> afterwards save them back in the PDF format. It seems that Omnipage 12
> Pro Office edition would be able to do the job but Omnipage 12
> Standard, which is much less expensive, seems to have many of the same
> features. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a resource which lists
> the exact differences between the two programs. For now we'd require
> only one or two licences but in the future may need licences for over
> 100 users, so Abbyy Finereader 6.0 may be interesting as well due to
> their concurent user type of licensing.
>
> My questions are the following:
>
> We scan our documents (often hundreds of pages) using Nashuatec
> copiers into PDF or TIF files which are non-searchable and store them
> into individual network folders for each user. We are looking for an
> easy, possibly automated method to run them through OCR software and
> then store them into searchable PDFs.
>
> Omnipage 12 Office has a feature which automatically batch processes
> new files in a folder. Does Abbyy Finereader Corporate Edition have a
> similar feature and what differences are there between Omnipage Office
> and Standard? Is there another software or add-on which would be ideal
> for the task we want to perform? We really only work with PDF and Word
> 2000 formats and so could live well without Omnipage's XML output
> option. Would you recommend going with the (apparently) superiour but
> more expensive Omnipage 12 or would the cheaper Finereader 6.0 do the
> job. Document quality ranges from excellent (laser printed documents)
> to so-so (laser-printed faxes, xeroxed documents etc.).
>
> Thanks very much for any input
>
> Hans

Well, I wouldn't know anything about Omnipage, but we (my company) are quite
satisfied with the Abby FineReader 6.0 Corporate Edition since it supports
batch processing and distributed processing over network and does support
PDF format as input and Word files as an output documents. Also, if you do
not need network processing, Abby FineReader 6.0 Professional Edition has
also excellent features and costs less then Corporate Edition. Document
quality by FineReader? One word: e x c e ll e n t.

0
Nutshell

Indexing a converted doc file to pdf file
Hello, I just converted a doc file into a pdf file using Acrobat 5.0 but, the "index" (or bookmark?) I had in the doc format "has disappeared". Have I to create that again from the titles of the sections and paragraphs? (I had titles of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th level...). How do I create a similar index? I read the help guide but couldn't understand that much... :-( Thanks Regards "uonder uoman" <non.mi@scocciate.it> wrote: >Hello, >I just converted a doc file into a pdf file using Acrobat 5.0 How, exactly? -------------------------------------...

How to convert this ps file to a pdf file w/ searchable text? (pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file)
I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there is any other way to generate a searchable pdf file? $pkfix-helper 0375.ps Reading 0375.ps ... done. Number of Type 3 fonts encountered: 0 pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file On May 13, 10:45=A0pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote: > I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. > But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there > is any other way to generate a searchab...

How to convert eps to pdf with pdf file size same as the eps file BBox? (using ps2pdf)
I want to convert an eps file to a pdf file and the paper size of the newly created pdf file be the same as the BBox of the eps file. Would you please show me what options I should specify if I use ps2pdf? Or you can tell me some other ways. Thanks, Peng > I want to convert an eps file to a pdf file and the paper size of the > newly created pdf file be the same as the BBox of the eps file. Would > you please show me what options I should specify if I use ps2pdf? Or > you can tell me some other ways. This will do it: -dEPSCrop Govert Govert J. Knopper wrote: >> I want...

A PDF into a FM file then save as pdf... how to have alll the pages of the included pdf file
FM 7.2 We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the firts page of the pdf imported. Is there a method to import a pdf file and force FM to generate a pdf file with save as... with the complete pdf file inserted into the padf ? > We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then > when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the > firts page of the pdf imported. > > Is there a method to import a pdf file...

Converting in automatic mode lot of files doc to pdf files and insert into database
I need to convert thousands files .doc to .pdf files and then insert in database (MSDE or SQL Server 2000, prefer) with record name same file name in automatic mode. Are there products that realize this? Thanks a lot. St. I don't know a product for both activity. For conversion try ActivePdf DocConverter http://www.activepdf.com/ ($$$) For insert in db... write your own code (INSERT INTO.... ) It's very easy. Fabrizio Jst wrote: > I need to convert thousands files .doc to .pdf files and then insert in > database (MSDE or SQL Server 2000, prefer) with record name s...

Merge pdf files into one pdf file
Hi I am looking for a script that can automatically merge a serie of 'pdf' files into one 'pdf' file. I know about the "Insert pdf file" option in adobe, but I have about 30 'pdf' files, and need a more automatic solution. Today I am merging several "ps" files into one "pdf" file by using the script below. Is there a similar script for pdf files. Any software that solves this? Any help is appreciated! Gisle Rong Script: %! % PostScript program for distilling and combining multiple PostScript files. % When embedding font subsets, it is ...

convert .pdf files to .txt files
Hi, my name is david. I need to read information from .pdf files and convert to .txt files, and I have to do this on python, I have been looking for libraries on python and the pdftools seems to be the solution, but I do not know how to use them well, this is the example that I found on the internet is: from pdftools.pdffile import PDFDocument from pdftools.pdftext import Text def contents_to_text (contents): for item in contents: if isinstance (item, type ([])): for i in contents_to_text (item): yield i elif isinstance (item, Text): yield item.text doc ...

How convert pdf file to word file?
How convert pdf to doc. Pdf file is with pictures and tabels. There are a number of products that claim to do this. I feel that ABBYY Fine Reader is the best you can get. http://www.abbyy.com/ But the problem with this and any other converter is they cannot really recreate the invisible structure of the original document. So you may end up with a myriad of "styles" or "formatting" variations which are almost but not quite identical. Subsequent editing may prove to be a nightmare. And how can the converter program tell what text is in headers & footers an...

Converting GUI files to pdf files
Is there any security system that prevents matlab created windows from being converted to pdf by a certain program? I know there's a tool called matlab report generator that allows to create pdf files from the windows but the application has to be run in a computer where there's no matlab, so the GUIs get from the executable created by the mcc compiler. If this security system doesn't exist, can you guide me about where I could begin to do that pdf converting? Thanks in advance. In article <ef57b4f.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP>, Li Yen <kalink_vk@hotmail.com> wrote: &...

How to convert .fig file to .pdf file
Is there a way to convert a .fig file to a .pdf file in matlab? I need to visualise some .fig files because I cannot install matlab on this machine (I'm not administrator). Thanks for understanding! Michael You can save any figure as *.pdf with saveas(gcf,'filename','pdf'); Use >> help saveas for more info, follow the link "doc saveas" at the end, and read the section on formats. Also, there is a great m-file on Matlab Central called "exportfig.m", which makes exporting to other formats very convenient. -Michael On Aug 6, 10:54=A0am, &...

Printing a PDF File from a Batch file?
Is there a utilty which can be used in a ..bat file or a VBS script which will queue a PDF file to the default printer? Thanks, Peter Gordon Hello, You did not say if you have ADOBE ACROBAT installed on you computer? I think you can use the verb "PRINT" or "PRINTTO" with the win32 API "ShellExecute" to queue and print the PDF file on the default printer only. However, the file type "PDF" must be registered in the system registry first -- then windows will be able launches the appropriate program for that particular file. http://s...

non-searchable PDF, convert to TIFF, ocr back to searchable PDF
I have a non-searchable (because there's no encoding provided) PDF file from which I'd like to extract its text. Can I do the following convert the non-searchable PDF file to a TIFF file use OCR to convert the TIFF file to a searchable PDF ? If so, how effective is this method and what program(s) would you recommend for each step? There seem to be many that will convert from PDF to TIFF. I would think that Adobe Acrobat would be able to do this easily. Thanks, Ted On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:33:47 -0800, teds@intex.com ci disse: > convert the non-searchable PDF file to a TIFF ...

split one pdf file into multiple pdf files
Hi I am in urgent need of code for spliting one pdf file into multiple pdf files based on a particular condition. An guidance going about writing code for this problem would be really helpful. Thanks, Suparana Hi, What are the particular conditions you need for splitting. There are a number of third party solutions, but most will split on page or file names. If you had the source of the PDF files, I could show you how my OctoTools could produce the output already split, on just about ANY criteria, but doing it with existing pdf's could be tricky. Another way to approach your problem i...

2 pdf-files > 1 pdf-file
Hello, I use Photoshop Lite or CutePDF to scan documents to pdf. What to do if documents are spread out over 2 or more A4's? How can I scan this to just 1 pdf-file? Peter You should use only ADOBE ACROBAT software. "PeterS" <pghscholtes@home.nl> wrote in message news:bk20l8$lom$1@news3.tilbu1.nb.home.nl... > Hello, > > I use Photoshop Lite or CutePDF to scan documents to pdf. What to do if > documents are spread out over 2 or more A4's? How can I scan this to > just 1 pdf-file? > > Peter > ...

Web resources about - Batch converting of PDF files into searchable PDF files - comp.ai.doc-analysis.ocr

Converting dry air to water: solution to Broken Hill's water crisis gains support
A one-man crusade by a Broken Hill resident to solve the historic town's water crisis by introducing air to water converters is gaining support. ...