Batch converting of PDF files into searchable PDF files

Hello Group

We need to convert about 500 multipage non-searchable PDF files into
searchable PDF files. The original PDFs just contain the scanned
documents and we plan to run them through an OCR program which will
afterwards save them back in the PDF format. It seems that Omnipage 12
Pro Office edition would be able to do the job but Omnipage 12
Standard, which is much less expensive, seems to have many of the same
features. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a resource which lists
the exact differences between the two programs. For now we'd require
only one or two licences but in the future may need licences for over
100 users, so Abbyy Finereader 6.0 may be interesting as well due to
their concurent user type of licensing.

My questions are the following:

We scan our documents (often hundreds of pages) using Nashuatec
copiers into PDF or TIF files which are non-searchable and store them
into individual network folders for each user. We are looking for an
easy, possibly automated method to run them through OCR software and
then store them into searchable PDFs.

Omnipage 12 Office has a feature which automatically batch processes
new files in a folder. Does Abbyy Finereader Corporate Edition have a
similar feature and what differences are there between Omnipage Office
and Standard? Is there another software or add-on which would be ideal
for the task we want to perform? We really only work with PDF and Word
2000 formats and so could live well without Omnipage's XML output
option. Would you recommend going with the (apparently) superiour but
more expensive Omnipage 12 or would the cheaper Finereader 6.0 do the
job. Document quality ranges from excellent (laser printed documents)
to so-so (laser-printed faxes, xeroxed documents etc.).

Thanks very much for any input

Hans
0
zbinden
7/15/2003 9:30:32 PM
comp.ai.doc-analysis.ocr 462 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"HZ" <zbinden@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Group
>
> We need to convert about 500 multipage non-searchable PDF files into
> searchable PDF files. The original PDFs just contain the scanned
> documents and we plan to run them through an OCR program which will
> afterwards save them back in the PDF format. It seems that Omnipage 12
> Pro Office edition would be able to do the job but Omnipage 12
> Standard, which is much less expensive, seems to have many of the same
> features. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a resource which lists
> the exact differences between the two programs. For now we'd require
> only one or two licences but in the future may need licences for over
> 100 users, so Abbyy Finereader 6.0 may be interesting as well due to
> their concurent user type of licensing.
>
> My questions are the following:
>
> We scan our documents (often hundreds of pages) using Nashuatec
> copiers into PDF or TIF files which are non-searchable and store them
> into individual network folders for each user. We are looking for an
> easy, possibly automated method to run them through OCR software and
> then store them into searchable PDFs.
>
> Omnipage 12 Office has a feature which automatically batch processes
> new files in a folder. Does Abbyy Finereader Corporate Edition have a
> similar feature and what differences are there between Omnipage Office
> and Standard? Is there another software or add-on which would be ideal
> for the task we want to perform? We really only work with PDF and Word
> 2000 formats and so could live well without Omnipage's XML output
> option. Would you recommend going with the (apparently) superiour but
> more expensive Omnipage 12 or would the cheaper Finereader 6.0 do the
> job. Document quality ranges from excellent (laser printed documents)
> to so-so (laser-printed faxes, xeroxed documents etc.).
>
> Thanks very much for any input
>
> Hans

Well, I wouldn't know anything about Omnipage, but we (my company) are quite
satisfied with the Abby FineReader 6.0 Corporate Edition since it supports
batch processing and distributed processing over network and does support
PDF format as input and Word files as an output documents. Also, if you do
not need network processing, Abby FineReader 6.0 Professional Edition has
also excellent features and costs less then Corporate Edition. Document
quality by FineReader? One word: e x c e ll e n t.

0
Nutshell