Crazy idea - Embedded PC + USB debugging with QEMU - passing of only one USB interface to QEMU, or distributed libusb-driver

Hi,

I'm debugging a device with very strange setup - the FPGA is connected
via FT3323H chip (interface A is used as asycnhronous FIFO to
communicate with FPGA, interface B is used as JTAG to program/debug
FPGA with ChipScope).
Now I started to debug the embedded software, using the QEMU to
emulate the embedded PC.
However in this setup I should forward one interface of the FT2232 (A
- FIFO) to the QEMU, as iti is used to communicate with the FPGA,
while the interface B should be still available for my host, to work
with ChipScope via the driver published at http://rmdir.de/~michael/xilinx/

Unfortunately this seems to be impossible, as even though my software
running on QEMU uses only one interface of the FT2232, it needs access
to the whole device.
Is there any solution allowing me to make only a single interface of
the USB device available for QEMU?
Unfortunately I can't run the Xilinx cse_server on my embedded machine
(neither the real one nor the emulated with QEMU - it is closed
source, and requires libraries not available in buildroot :-( ).
Another solution would be to split the driver libusb-driver into two
parts. One working on host and communicating with impact/ChipScope,
and the another one (coupled via TCP/IP) communicating with the FT2232
on the embedded PC/QEMU.
Has anybody tried to make a "distributed version" of the libusb-
driver?
--
TIA & Regards,
Wojtek

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 15:30:58 -0800, wzab wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm debugging a device with very strange setup - the FPGA is connected
> via FT3323H chip (interface A is used as asycnhronous FIFO to
> communicate with FPGA, interface B is used as JTAG to program/debug FPGA
> with ChipScope).
> Now I started to debug the embedded software, using the QEMU to emulate
> the embedded PC.
> However in this setup I should forward one interface of the FT2232 (A -
> FIFO) to the QEMU, as iti is used to communicate with the FPGA,
> while the interface B should be still available for my host, to work
> with ChipScope via the driver published at
> http://rmdir.de/~michael/xilinx/
>
> Unfortunately this seems to be impossible, as even though my software
> running on QEMU uses only one interface of the FT2232, it needs access
> to the whole device.
> Is there any solution allowing me to make only a single interface of the
> USB device available for QEMU?
> Unfortunately I can't run the Xilinx cse_server on my embedded machine
> (neither the real one nor the emulated with QEMU - it is closed source,
> and requires libraries not available in buildroot :-( ).
> Another solution would be to split the driver libusb-driver into two
> parts. One working on host and communicating with impact/ChipScope,
> and the another one (coupled via TCP/IP) communicating with the FT2232
> on the embedded PC/QEMU.
> Has anybody tried to make a "distributed version" of the libusb-
> driver?

My experience with the FT2232(H) is that drivers will typically want to
own the whole chip.  There is a single command queue inside the device
and the individual channels have different commands (rather than
different addresses).

I guess in theory you could write a driver that translated the commands
and made an FT2232 look like two FT232, but I haven't seen this done.

Regards,
Allan

how could interface the USB Driver with Scilab?
I am interesting to develop the USB Driver by interfacing it with scilab....any one have any idea to do that? My project is DAS (Data Acquisition System) Card. with Atmel Controller AT89C5131 If there any previous project that help me to start thanx ...

USB/USB devices
Hi, I'll show my ignorance and ask: Do USB devices work seamlessly on Macs and PCs (with USB ports)? Do USB mouses and USB keyboards just plug into a 800MHz 12in iBook? Where? (You'll see elsewhere I'm looking for a .pdf manual so I will then know what the various "plug-holes" - ports? - are for.) I've just got this machine and find the trackpad fiddly, similarly for the keyboard, so I was going to plug in the keyboard and mouse to overcome these concerns. Can I plug in a pair of speakers (again are USB speakers universal to Mac and PC)? How m...

Help: USB to USB Liux PC to Linux Link
I have a PC to PC USB dlink 125D, I wonder how to make it works in linux PC, for tranfer/view files from one to other. Please help. TIA imo wrote: > I have a PC to PC USB dlink 125D, I wonder how to make it works in linux > PC, for tranfer/view files from one to other. Please help. > > TIA If your kernel is configured to support host-host networking over USB, look for a network device called "usb0". Failing that, make sure it's compiled into your kernel. To the best of my knowledge, it behaves like an Ethernet connection, which means you may have to set up a co...

can LabView talk to USB devices by PC USB?
We have USB hardware that connects to the PC via the USB port which I would control by LV. Does a pll is exiting for this type of application? I am far from being quaified to answer this, but I can tell you this much. Due to the low level nature of USB, LabVIEW has no way of talking to a generic USB device. If the devices is one of the standard classes (Human Interface Device for example), then there are Win32 functions you can call - although I have no clue where these are located. If not, you almost always need drivers for the device which provide custom DLLs. If you do not have this th...

USB device has no driver in /proc/bus/usb/devices
I've got a Atmel-based DWL-120A USB NIC, and I'm trying to get my new Debian installation (2.6 kernel) to recognize it. The /proc/bus/usb/devices file contains an entry for this card, which I can recognize by its vendor ID. The entry, however, shows the "driver" field as a blank. I have an atmel driver, but installing that module doesn't help because I don't know how to link the USB device to the driver module. 'dmesg' shows that a USB device is connected to the USB port, but it doesn't assign it a device name (eth0 or wlan0 would be nice). Therefore,...

Solaris USB driver for Linksys USB Ethernet controller (USB200M)
I have been trying to write a Solaris USB driver for USB200M Linksys card. The driver uses GLD for all DLPI related stuff. The driver seems to work - but there are two problems that are related to Solaris USB kernel framework and that affect the driver's performance: 1. USB200M has for endpoints (control, interrupt, bulk out and bulk in). Both bulk endpoints have MaxPacketSize of 64. If request is made to receive 64 bytes (or less - SHORT_XFER) from the bulk in pipe, the driver works fine, albeit very slow, because it has to wait for an interrupt for each 64 byte message. If you attempt t...

How can I tell if my PC has USB or the new USB 2.0?
I have been trying to figure this out for a while, and do not know how!! klhurst3@aol.com (Klhurst3) wrote in news:20031214172608.26022.00000901@mb- m06.aol.com: > I have been trying to figure this out for a while, and do not know how!! See http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm ...

What specification usb is in sgi 320 usb 1 or usb 2
looking at device connection using usb iceclown wrote: > looking at device connection using usb The SGI320 is too old for USB2. It has USB1 ports, which are not fully compatible with all USB devices... Better get an USB or USB2 PCI card... Benjamin thanks, come to think of it the fact it doesn't mention specification of usb port indicates early version ...

Debug version of MS USB drivers?
Hi Folks, Do you know where to get the debug version of Microsoft USBD drivers stuff? I have to troubleshoot an issue and a blue screens addressing these Microsoft set of drivers on XP SP2 machine. Thanks in advance for information! Dim ...

USB H/A interface for PC or Linux
Hello, It would seem as if using a PC loaded with Linux would be an ideal way to do some home automation: the Linux box can be dedicated to controlling various aspects of the H/A setup. One of the ways to interface to the real world on a PC is via a device called the U401, a USB to 16 line controller (more info at end of message). I have example app notes and sample applications for interfaceing the U401 to real-world devices using Windows. The U401 has been used with Linux, but I don't have any application info on the web site for doing this. I'm trying to get a feel for ho...

How to debug over USB not using pegasus driver
Hello, is anyone out there who is debugging VxWorks over USB no using pegasus driver! We've USB on our Intel Pentium 3 embedded board! We do not have a native Ethernet controller! I tried to buy some USB-Ethernet controller - which are supported by WRS - but without success! All controller are out of date .... So we cannot use the pegasus driver! Is anyone out there - who use another method to debug over USB? Perhaps - using a newer USB chipset driver other than pegasus! - using another protocol - perhaps ndis over USB .... Any hints are welcome best regards Heiko Elger ...

qemu usb flash drive (stick)
It seems that I have the same problem with https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.os.plan9/usb/comp.os.plan9/dBpkbPyQrzw/0TagYRLa02MJ term% usb/usbd usb/usbd: /dev/usb: no hubs `ls #u' works (but why is that important?) I'm also missing the /srv/usb file: term% usbfat: mount: can't open /srv/usb: '/srv/usb' does not exist cannot mount /srv/usb Any tips? I removed the similar topic, sorry for posting twice but the delay was long thus I assumed that this one never reached the group. I found out that `ls #u' is useful since #u is the short name bound to the ...

Win2000 does NOT recognize an USB scanner / USB port adjustment/settings/driver problem ?
I plugged in an USB cable from my USB scanner into my computer and installed the driver for the HP scanjet 4400c. After having worked fine a couple of times it happened that my Win2000 installation does not recognize the HP scanner anymore. Re-Installing the scanner driver or rebooting the computer did not help. However the scanner worked fine at other computers. So I assume that there are some internal USB kernal driver errors of Win2000 or changed registry settings which do not allow to call the USB device any more. Is there any way to force Win2000 to completely rescan ...

USB & FX2LP: Anybody ever used USB-audio-class-driver?
Hello, we are currently trying to use a Cypress FX2LP for audio streaming (isochronous adaptive endpoints) with the WinXP USB-audio-class driver. We have already established the audio control parts (volume, mute, etc.), and now we're trying to stream audio data to the device. At first we're trying to make the CPU show us that data arrived, then clear the buffers for more data. WinXP selects the right interface, sets the sampling rate and starts to send data, but we do not get any of it into the FX2LP. We trie everything for some weeks now, all to no avail. What we found out is that Windows sends data with Length values = 0 (this is okay, because it's not in the USB spec for isochronous streaming), but the Cypress streaming driver sends Length values, which maybe th FX2LP must have? So maybe anybody experienced the same? regards, X > What we found out is that Windows sends data with Length values = 0 (this > is okay, because it's not in the USB spec for isochronous streaming), > but the Cypress streaming driver sends Length values, which maybe the > FX2LP > must have? Sounds like a non-standard format. The Micosoft USB audio driver only works with standard formats, as defined in the USB audio class specification. Anyway, try asking Cypress support. Leo Havm´┐Żller. Hello Leo, thanks for your answer. Yes we contacted Cypress, their first response came very fast, then after we found out this length problem, they seemingly need some ti...

Interfacing with a device driver (specifically USB GPS)
For my own interest's sake I'd like to interface with my USB GPS. (note, this is a 'true USB' device, not 'faked with a USB to Serial). I've got the documentation on the driver for the device, unfortunately its all C code, and I'm having a tough time making the translation. From what I can tell, the process is as follows: Open the "File" for the device (Using createFile API?) The device is referenced using its GUID. Write data to the file. Read data from the file (using the ReadFile and WriteFile APIs). I'm unfortunately stuck at step 1. The documentation I have refers to // {2C9C45C2-8E7D-4C08-A12D-816BBAE722C0} DEFINE_GUID(GUID_DEVINTERFACE_GRMNUSB, 0x2c9c45c2L, 0x8e7d, 0x4c08, 0xa1, 0x2d, 0x81, 0x6b, 0xba, 0xe7, 0x22, 0xc0); I'm not really sure what this command does (OK, I know it "defines a GUID" but I don't know that that gives me, or how to translate this in to VB. ) I've seen GUID structures defined which give me somewhere to put the numerical portion, but I don't know what that gives me. What can I do with this GUID? Pass it to CreateFile? How? As the filename? Have no idea how to format it. Where do I put the GUID_DEVINTERFACE_GRMNUSB? What is that? Some kind of Constant? As you can tell I'm somewhat lost, so any suggestions, pointers etc would be appreciated. Dale Maybe you can find some info poking around this website: http://www.lvr.com/hidpage.htm He has a VB6 sample...

Host To PC communication using USB Interface
Hi, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I got one requirement to develop a program in LabVIEW/LabWindows to display messages received by PC slave from a host device through USB interface? Here my PC should act as slave and the UUT(Unit Under Test) will act as host. I would be basically getting some text messages from host device. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.... Duplicate post.&nbsp; Please post responses <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=140&amp;message.id=26196#M26196" target="_blank">here</a>. Rima ...

How to interface PC and FPGA through USB 2.0
Hi, I want to write a C++ code that will allow for the communication between a USRP board (a hardware device that is used for making Software Defined Radio. It captures the actual data on which modulation/demodulation in software on the PC has to be performed. The USRP does some processing on raw data such as analog to digital conversion, down-conversion and decimation of data and throws it on a USB 2.0 port)and a PC. All of the high-speed general purpose operations like digital up and down conversion, decimation and interpolation are done on the Altera Cyclone EP1C12 FPGA on the USRP board. ...

Connecting two HP50g by usb-usb or usb-serial or serial-serial
Hi I'am Manel, I wonder if connecting 2 hp50g's by USB-->SERIAL; SERIAL-->SERIAL is Posible. I have a adapter USB to SERIAL(HP) Thank you On 06/02/2010 18:13, MANELVC VC wrote: > Hi I'am Manel, > > I wonder if connecting 2 hp50g's by USB-->SERIAL; SERIAL-->SERIAL is > Posible. > > I have a adapter USB to SERIAL(HP) > > Thank you Serial to serial is possible and there is a special cable for this. Not sure how to order it from HP though. USB to USB is not possible - this is a limitation of the USB standard. -- Bruce Horrocks Surrey Eng...

[News] USB Turntable Done with Linux, New USB Turnkey Bioinformatics Linux Distribution

Problem with startup of self developed USB device...how to debug ? Without USB hardware analyzer...
Hello, i have a self developed device (USB 2.0, full speed) which seem to make problems during connecting. WinXP tells me unknown device, VID and PID are both 0. I tried to monitor exchanged frames SnoopyPro seems to capture only frames when a valid VID/PID is available, not before... Because i have no access to a CATC or other hardware monitor, what posibilities are there to track down this error ? Is there any program which can monitor more of startup phase ? When i connect the device to my WinXP machine with USB 2.0 (and same at Win2K laptop with USB 1.1), i see three times a GET_S...

Are there any drivers for Pocket PC and NI USB-6008 available?
Hello everybody, &nbsp; I alraedy read that there are no drivers for Pocket PC available to communicate with NI USB-6008 or other USB devices using LabView PDA Module. The reason is that most Pocket PCs&nbsp;have no USB host functionality. It's a pity, because I'm using a e800 Toshiba PDA that provides USB host functionality. &nbsp; Furthermore I'm already using several NI USB-6008/6009 within&nbsp;applications developed with LabWindows and I would rather reuse these devices than byuing new ones like NI CF-6004. Perhaps NI offers&nbsp;a driver for Pocket PC - th...

USB to serial converter working ? and USB hubs attached to usb-serial converter
Hello, I have seen some references in the newgroups where people have shelled out some money for USB to rs-232 adapters/converters in order for their serial sensors (gps, other...) to be connected to the newly set of laptops that have no longer serial nor parallel outputs. Can any of you share his/her experience with a particularly bad piece of hardware and the type of the sensors it did not work with ? My own interest is to connect not one sensor, but two using the serial output (i.e. I have two sensors needing rs-232 output) I also have only 1 usb connection on that lapttop and think that on top of using a 2 rs-232/usb adapter, I will probably plug it to a usb hub because I need to have access to other usb sensors (web cams). If you also have an insight on the type of hub that work for this particular type of configuration, I will not mind for any insight (some of the hubs I bought before had problems even when they were powered!). Thanks in advance, Jake. If you did a search on the subject, it will take you several days to read all that had been posted! Newbie wrote: > Hello, > > I have seen some references in the newgroups where people have shelled > out some money for USB to rs-232 adapters/converters in order for their > serial sensors (gps, other...) to be connected to the newly set of > laptops that have no longer serial nor parallel outputs. Can any of you > share his/her experience with a particularly ...

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

USB Driver
Using Oberon for Windows I need write the HOST side of a USB custom hardware. Where can I find information about using USB Windows drivers from Oberon? Walter. > > Using Oberon for Windows I need write the HOST side of a > USB custom hardware. > > Where can I find information about using USB Windows > drivers from Oberon? > Walter. It seems like you would have to contact "an engineer" for a particular USB device and then "code to it". Good luck. V. Henry ...

USB Drivers?
I need to set up USB Flash Drive support. Can anyone tell me where I can get drivers now that IBM no longer provides them? I guess I need usbstor. I tried to get Chris Wohlgemuth's to work but they wouldn't recognize my drives. I've been searching all over, but no joy. Thanks, Joe On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 01:32:49 UTC, Pungh0Li0 <joe.dellwo@gmail.com> wrote: -> I need to set up USB Flash Drive support. Can anyone tell me where I -> can get drivers now that IBM no longer provides them? I guess I need -> usbstor. I tried to get Chris Wohlgemuth's to work but they wouldn't -> recognize my drives. -> I've been searching all over, but no joy. -> -> Thanks, Joe They are available along with all the other updates on eComStation http://www.ecomstation.com Otherwise you are stuck with whatever free drivers you can find on hobbes, like Chris', or look for a copy of MCP or MCP2 on eBay. Mark -- From the eComStation of Mark Dodel Warpstock 2007 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada: http://www.warpstock.org Warpstock Europe - Valkenswaard close to Eindhoven, the Netherlands: http://www.warpstock.eu Sir: Pungh0Li0 wrote: > I need to set up USB Flash Drive support. Can anyone tell me where I > can get drivers now that IBM no longer provides them? I guess I need > usbstor. I tried to get Chris Wohlgemuth's to work but they wouldn't > recognize my drives. > I've been sear...

Web resources about - Crazy idea - Embedded PC + USB debugging with QEMU - passing of only one USB interface to QEMU, or distributed libusb-driver - comp.arch.embedded