Design Hardware for Embedded Systems

Hello all.

I would like to know how can I design the hardware of my embedded
system. Right now I just have an idea of a project, a processos family
that I probably will use, and a few perifericals that would be
present. I would like to know how can I build the hardware of this
system, what metodology and tools to use.

I would like to build a system with those hardwar pieces
(Microcontroller + Periferials), test it, and then start working on
the software for my hardware design.

I have looked at tools like RealView for ARM development. It looks
like that with this tool I can work from the point I am right now to
develop the hardware and software of a embedded system. Other tool
that I have checked is Proteus VSM. Are those the correct tools to
work with. Are there any free or open tools that I could use?

I don't know if I made myself clear with my above explanation. Basicly
I would like to assembly my microcontroller and periphericals in a
system, to build and then test my hardware design. Then, I also would
like to build the software for this hardware. I have some experience
with the software design, but no experience at all with the hardware
design, so I need more help in this part.

Thank you very much for any help, I really need it! If you need any
futher information in order to help me, please let me know.

Felipe Uderman

comp.arch.embedded 20047 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Uderman wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I would like to know how can I design the hardware of my embedded
> system. Right now I just have an idea of a project, a processos family
> that I probably will use, and a few perifericals that would be
> present. I would like to know how can I build the hardware of this
> system, what metodology and tools to use.
>
> I would like to build a system with those hardwar pieces
> (Microcontroller + Periferials), test it, and then start working on
> the software for my hardware design.
>
> I have looked at tools like RealView for ARM development. It looks
> like that with this tool I can work from the point I am right now to
> develop the hardware and software of a embedded system. Other tool
> that I have checked is Proteus VSM. Are those the correct tools to
> work with. Are there any free or open tools that I could use?
>
> I don't know if I made myself clear with my above explanation. Basicly
> I would like to assembly my microcontroller and periphericals in a
> system, to build and then test my hardware design. Then, I also would
> like to build the software for this hardware. I have some experience
> with the software design, but no experience at all with the hardware
> design, so I need more help in this part.
>
> Thank you very much for any help, I really need it! If you need any
> futher information in order to help me, please let me know.
>
> Felipe Uderman

Asking what tools to use to design your hardware is almost like asking
what tools you need to use to install nails in your house.  The correct
answer to the nails question is "hammer", but having one won't help you
drive nails if you don't already know how to do it -- you learn to drive
nails by watching someone else do it, and once you've done that you know
you need a hammer.

I suggest that you start reading electronics hobbyist magazines.  There
aren't too many left, but I know that Nuts & Volts, Circuit Cellar, QST
(from the American Radio Relay League) and QEX (same) will all educate
you in all the steps if you diligently read articles for six months or
so.  Building kits will also help.  Buying evaluation boards is a good
way to get a working embeddable sub-system; with one in hand all you
have to do is add the parts of the circuit that are unique to your
problem and proceed.

Once you've done that then you can start thinking about acquiring
schematic capture and PC layout tools to design a PC board, and
soldering irons and hand tools and all the other things you need to
assemble one, and all the wrenches, pliers, cutters and whatnot you need
to put the thing in a case or otherwise mount it in your system.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

tim177 (4433)
7/10/2007 8:54:30 PM
Uderman wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I would like to know how can I design the hardware of my embedded
> system. Right now I just have an idea of a project, a processos family
> that I probably will use, and a few perifericals that would be
> present. I would like to know how can I build the hardware of this
> system, what metodology and tools to use.

[%X]

> Thank you very much for any help, I really need it! If you need any
> futher information in order to help me, please let me know.

Before you go arbitrarily selecting a processor chip and other peripheral
items there are a few steps to accomplish first. Tim Wescott covered a few
good ideas for you to follow through with.

Whether as a hobbyist or as an engineer in training the project needs a goal
so that you know when you have achieved what you set out to do. Once you
have defined the main goal, there will be a number of sub-goals that you
need to achieve along the way.

The books at this link:-

        <http://www.ganssle.com/book.htm>

will certainly give you some guidance on the way to approach the design and
programming of embedded systems. Jack has also reviewed a number of books
on the topic and probing around his site would lead you to a long list of
useful books.

If the answers you get seem non-specific then it is because your original
question was rather non-specific. None of the experts here claim to be
practitioners in any form of telepathy so we are left waiting for what you
have in mind. Be specific about your goals and questions and we may be able
to assist more.

Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://peb@amleth.demon.co.uk>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/>
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
peb (808)
7/10/2007 9:38:33 PM
On Jul 11, 4:28 am, Uderman <felipe.uder...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I would like to know how can I design the hardware of my embedded
> system. Right now I just have an idea of a project, a processos family
> that I probably will use, and a few perifericals that would be
> present. I would like to know how can I build the hardware of this
> system, what metodology and tools to use.
>
> I would like to build a system with those hardwar pieces
> (Microcontroller + Periferials), test it, and then start working on
> the software for my hardware design.
>
> I have looked at tools like RealView for ARM development. It looks
> like that with this tool I can work from the point I am right now to
> develop the hardware and software of a embedded system. Other tool
> that I have checked is Proteus VSM. Are those the correct tools to
> work with. Are there any free or open tools that I could use?
>
> I don't know if I made myself clear with my above explanation. Basicly
> I would like to assembly my microcontroller and periphericals in a
> system, to build and then test my hardware design. Then, I also would
> like to build the software for this hardware. I have some experience
> with the software design, but no experience at all with the hardware
> design, so I need more help in this part.
>
> Thank you very much for any help, I really need it! If you need any
> futher information in order to help me, please let me know.
>
> Felipe Uderman

Hello Felipe,

I would recommend you a teaching platform for embedded systems:
http://www.armkits.com/Product/university.asp

The University of Guelph has a teaching course for this platform, you
can download the teaching ebook from here:
http://www.soe.uoguelph.ca/webfiles/rmuresan/EmbeddedSystemsAndLabsForARM-V1.1.pdf

Linda

0
zhangmei (3)
7/11/2007 8:33:54 AM
"Uderman" <felipe.uderman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all.
>
> I would like to know how can I design the hardware of my embedded
> system. Right now I just have an idea of a project, a processos family
> that I probably will use, and a few perifericals that would be
> present. I would like to know how can I build the hardware of this
> system, what metodology and tools to use.
>
> I would like to build a system with those hardwar pieces
> (Microcontroller + Periferials), test it, and then start working on
> the software for my hardware design.
>
> I have looked at tools like RealView for ARM development. It looks
> like that with this tool I can work from the point I am right now to
> develop the hardware and software of a embedded system. Other tool
> that I have checked is Proteus VSM. Are those the correct tools to
> work with. Are there any free or open tools that I could use?
>
> I don't know if I made myself clear with my above explanation. Basicly
> I would like to assembly my microcontroller and periphericals in a
> system, to build and then test my hardware design. Then, I also would
> like to build the software for this hardware. I have some experience
> with the software design, but no experience at all with the hardware
> design, so I need more help in this part.
>
> Thank you very much for any help, I really need it! If you need any
> futher information in order to help me, please let me know.

In addition to the good advice given by Tim and Paul I would suggest
thaqt you might want to consider buying a development kit which loosely
fits what might be in the final product. This will let you develop your
software without wondering if your bugs are really hardware problems.

There are loads of them out there and the range in price wildly. I've
used expensive kits from LogicPD for LCD development, cheaper ones from
Hitex for initial forays into ARM processors and very cheap ones from TI
for tinkering with USB.

0
news9671 (165)
7/11/2007 8:43:15 AM
On 10/07/2007 Uderman wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I would like to know how can I design the hardware of my embedded
> system. Right now I just have an idea of a project, a processos family
> that I probably will use, and a few perifericals that would be
> present. I would like to know how can I build the hardware of this
> system, what metodology and tools to use.
>
> I would like to build a system with those hardwar pieces
> (Microcontroller + Periferials), test it, and then start working on
> the software for my hardware design.
>
> I have looked at tools like RealView for ARM development. It looks
> like that with this tool I can work from the point I am right now to
> develop the hardware and software of a embedded system. Other tool
> that I have checked is Proteus VSM. Are those the correct tools to
> work with. Are there any free or open tools that I could use?
>
> I don't know if I made myself clear with my above explanation. Basicly
> I would like to assembly my microcontroller and periphericals in a
> system, to build and then test my hardware design. Then, I also would
> like to build the software for this hardware. I have some experience
> with the software design, but no experience at all with the hardware
> design, so I need more help in this part.
>
> Thank you very much for any help, I really need it! If you need any
> futher information in order to help me, please let me know.
>
> Felipe Uderman

Further to the good advice from Tim; if you're in Europe you should
subscribe to Elektor magazine.

Personally I would suggest the Atmel STK500 development kit, which
together with Atmel's free AVR Studio software will give you a great
starting point. There's also a mountain of public domain projects to
look at here:

 http://www.avrfreaks.net/

--
John B
On 11 jul, 13:47, "John B" <spamj_baraclo...@blockerzetnet.co.uk>
wrote:
> On 10/07/2007Udermanwrote:
> > Hello all.
>
> > I would like to know how can I design the hardware of my embedded
> > system. Right now I just have an idea of a project, a processos family
> > that I probably will use, and a few perifericals that would be
> > present. I would like to know how can I build the hardware of this
> > system, what metodology and tools to use.
>
> > I would like to build a system with those hardwar pieces
> > (Microcontroller + Periferials), test it, and then start working on
> > the software for my hardware design.
>
> > I have looked at tools like RealView for ARM development. It looks
> > like that with this tool I can work from the point I am right now to
> > develop the hardware and software of a embedded system. Other tool
> > that I have checked is Proteus VSM. Are those the correct tools to
> > work with. Are there any free or open tools that I could use?
>
> > I don't know if I made myself clear with my above explanation. Basicly
> > I would like to assembly my microcontroller and periphericals in a
> > system, to build and then test my hardware design. Then, I also would
> > like to build the software for this hardware. I have some experience
> > with the software design, but no experience at all with the hardware
> > design, so I need more help in this part.
>
> > Thank you very much for any help, I really need it! If you need any
> > futher information in order to help me, please let me know.
>
> > FelipeUderman
>
> Further to the good advice from Tim; if you're in Europe you should
> subscribe to Elektor magazine.
>
> Personally I would suggest the Atmel STK500 development kit, which
> together with Atmel's free AVR Studio software will give you a great
> starting point. There's also a mountain of public domain projects to
> look at here:
>
>  http://www.avrfreaks.net/
>
> --
> John B

Thank you for all your adivices, it really helped me understando the
size of my problem :), And sorry about my late response, life is a bit
messy right now, so many things to do, and I forgot this topic here.
Yes, it is a long road, but also interesting. I have subscribe to the
Circuit Cellar Magazine, but will just receive my frist number by mid
september. I also bought an ARM development Kit, Philips LPC213, and a
few books. I am also trying to contact people at open hardware
projects, as it is a very good way of learning and contributing.

Peace,

Felipe Uderman

CFP
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Call for Papers Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier) Special Issue on HARDWARE/SOFTWARE CO-DESIGN =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D General Information =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Design of embedded systems is an extended activity for different markets such as aeronautics, telecommunications, consumer electronics, audiovisual, automotive, etc. The strong requirements for many applications in these areas (real-time, power consumption, cost and many others) do necessary the simultaneous use of both hardware and software to design and implement in a successful product. Besides this, the more and more complex systems would need to be designed by engineers with deep knowledge in computer architecture if the software is not taken advantage of as powerful tool that facilitates the work of designing. Traditional methodologies for designing embedded systems distinguish hardware and software separately, avoiding the relationship of both during the first phases of the design cycle. Nowadays, fortunately Hardware/Software co-design involves m...

CFP
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Call for Papers Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier) Special Issue on HARDWARE/SOFTWARE CO-DESIGN =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D General Information =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...

2nd. CFP - Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier)
Dear researchers, =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Second Call for Papers Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier) Special Issue on HARDWARE/SOFTWARE CO-DESIGN =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D General Informatio...

2nd. CFP - Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier)
Dear researchers, =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Second Call for Papers Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier) Special Issue on HARDWARE/SOFTWARE CO-DESIGN =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Genera...

2nd. CFP - Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier)
Dear researchers, =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Second Call for Papers Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier) Special Issue on HARDWARE/SOFTWARE CO-DESIGN =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D General Information =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Design of embedded systems is an extended activity for different markets such as aeronautics, telecommunications, consumer electronics, audiovisual, automotive, etc. The strong requirements for many applications in these areas (real-time, power consumption, cost and many others) do necessary the simultaneous use of both hardware and software to design and implement in a successful product. Besides this, the more and more complex systems would need to be designed by engineers with deep knowledge in computer architecture if the software is not taken advantage of as powerful tool that facilitates the work of designing. Traditional methodologies for designing embedded systems distinguish hardware and software separately, avoiding the relationship of both during the first phases of the design cycle. Nowadays, fortunately Hardware/Sof...

2nd. CFP - Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier)
Dear researchers, ===================================================================== Second Call for Papers Journal of Systems Architecture - Embedded Software Design (Elsevier) Special Issue on HARDWARE/SOFTWARE CO-DESIGN ===================================================================== General Information =================== Design of embedded systems is an extended activity for different markets such as aeronautics, telecommunications, consumer electronics, audiovisual, automotive, etc. The strong requirements for many applications in these areas (real-time, power consumption, cost and many others) do necessary the simultaneous use of both hardware and software to design and implement in a successful product. Besides this, the more and more complex systems would need to be designed by engineers with deep knowledge in computer architecture if the software is not taken advantage of as powerful tool that facilitates the work of designing. Traditional methodologies for designing embedded systems distinguish hardware and software separately, avoiding the relationship of both during the first phases of the design cycle. Nowadays, fortunately Hardware/Software co-design involves many technologies and methods, making easier the electronic engineer�s work. Nevertheless, there are still many challenges, trends and open possibilities in this area that it is necessary to know. According to the above-mentioned, this special issue seeks to explore the last advances in the Hard...

Embedding Python in an embedded system
Howdy. I'm looking at embedding python in a little embedded system. The device (a linksys wrt54g router, popular hack object since it runs linux), has limited resources. Just 4MB flash and 16MB memory. I'm interested in Python because I need to be more agile with developing an application for this platform. Currently I am using C++ but it takes just too much time to develop/debug code. Does anyone have experience doing something like this? S. Stefan Arentz wrote: > Howdy. > > I'm looking at embedding python in a little embedded system. The device > (a linksys wr...

embedded hardware design
My company is looking into creating our own design for wireless bar code scanning. We are neophites in this arena. The major concern is FCC licensing for our new schema. I'm in need of finding guidelines for the FCC. Thanks Michael Esquare Inc. "michael-esquare" <michael@e2-corp.com> wrote in message news:23f39604.0406301936.1e68640@posting.google.com... > My company is looking into creating our own design for wireless bar > code scanning. We are neophites in this arena. The major concern is > FCC licensing for our new schema. I'm in need of finding guideline...

Hardware device for embedded system
Hi, Can anyone tell me where can I find a network device like those ADSL modem devices without a system installed? I want to install a customized freebsd system onto this device for my own use and school research. If purchase a off-the-shell modem product with the system installed, my end product will not be competitive. If I can get a hardware device only proudct without the cost of the system, it will increase my profit margin by installing my customized systems onto the device. I found Siemens SpeedTouch is a good one, but not sure if they provid only hardware device base product f...

Embedded system design question
Hi, I need to design a system as depicted below. Multiple applications communicating with a middle layer which in turn communicates with drivers(Note: The communication between app<-->middle<-->driver is full duplex). Do I need to have a function call interface between application and middle layer or should the middle layer be a task (multiple tasks). Ideally all applications should have a single interface to the middle layer. What IPC mechanism would be best suited for this design. Should it be a task based design or function calls or both? ......... ........... ........ | app 1| | app 2| | app 3| ........... ........... .......... \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / ------------------------------------------ | middle layer | ------------------------------------------ \ / \ / ...\..../.. \....../.... | drv 1| | drv2 | ........... ........... Thanks, asm arut@mail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I need to design a system as depicted below. Multiple applications > communicating with a middle layer which in turn communicates with > drivers(Note: The communication between app<-->middle<-->driver is > full duplex). > Do I need to have a function call interface between application and > middle layer or should the middle layer be a task (multiple tasks). > Ideally al...

Embedded System Design with Java
Has anyone successfully built an embedded product with an embedded Java VM? How did you build the board or did you buy one? Did you need to port the VM to your platform? We're you able to add custom device drivers to the Java VM? Any help here would be great. -Zach <pfefferz@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1165103075.662473.173000@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com... > Has anyone successfully built an embedded product with an embedded Java > VM? How did you build the board or did you buy one? Did you need to > port the VM to your platform? We're you able to add custom de...

Overview of real-time embedded systems for non-embedded developers
Any links to overview/principles of real-time embedded systems for *non-embedded developers*? Ethernet, RS232 and other, Modems, Cards, Ports (Serial, Parallel, etc). Thanks in advance, -- Alex Vinokur email: alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn Alex Vinokur wrote: > Any links to overview/principles of real-time embedded systems for > *non-embedded developers*? > > Ethernet, RS232 and other, Modems, Cards, Ports (Serial, Parallel, > etc). > > Thanks in advance, > >...

Making a LAB of Embedded System on Embedded java in Linux Platform
Hello guys, I do have task of making a LAB of Embedded System on Embedded java in Linux Platform. I have searched the different tools for Embedded Linux (ETLinux, LEM, LOAF, uClinux, uLinux, ThinLinux etc) and Embedded Java (Eclipse, JEdit & plugins, JEdit & plugins etc). As I am new in using Embedded System on Java in Linux Platform, so I have to know the latest tools for Linux and Java for making an ideal Embedded system. I apologize if anything wrong statement has been written. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Biswajit Das ...

A unique Embedded System Design Training
Sandeepani offers customized career specific Professional Development Course for fresh engineering graduates from Electrical / Electronics and Communication, Instrumentation and Computer Science Engineering Disciplines in VLSI Design Embdedded System Design These programs are specifically designed with an objective to create quality manpower in the fields of VLSI Design, VLSI System Design with FPGAS and Embedded System Design engineering, imparting quality hands- on training from =91concept-to-project=92, covering design methodology using industry standard tools and practices. For more details click: http://www.sandeepani-vlsi.com/pages/courses/pgdip.= asp Sandeepani - School of VLSI Design (A division of CoreEL Technologies (I) Pvt. Ltd.) # 21, 7th Main, 1st Block, Koramangala, Bangalore - 560034, INDIA Ph: 91-80-41970400 Ext: 520, Mob: 9741322771 visit us at www.sandeepani-vlsi.com ...

Best Practices for a Hardware/Embedded Designer
Hello, I'm looking for some information that describes some of the best practices or habits for successful electronic design or embedded design. I'm trying to convince some co-workers that it is important to document their work and follow standards in their designs. Some of my co-workers are very fast designers and are respected by their peers, but in their rush to get the design done they often ignore standards and don't document their work, such as in their schematics or in their FPGA code. I feel these habits and behavior actually wastes money, by that I mean that if someone has...

[ANN] embedded IPsec project
Hello, "embedded IPsec" is a basic IPsec implementation for low-end embedded systems. The current version has been tested on a 16bit Infineon C167 microcontroller with the lwIP TCP/IP stack. The unoptimized version requires about 160kB ROM and 16kB RAM, is written in ANSI C and has the following features: * Tunnel-mode * AH with HMAC-MD5 and HMAC-SHA1 * ESP with 3DES, 3DES HMAC-MD5 and 3DES HMAC-SHA1 * Dynamic Security Policy management * Dynamic Security Association management * Anti-replay protection * Manual keying * Open Source, comes with lib...

A unique Embedded System Design Training #2
Sandeepani School of VLSI Design is launching a unique Embedded System Design course. The kind of coverage taken care in terms of embedded software & hardware is unique in the country. For more details click following link. http://www.sandeepani-vlsi.com/pages/courses/PDC_esd.asp Regards Sandeepani - School of VLSI Design (A division of CoreEL Technologies (I) Pvt. Ltd.) # 21, 7th Main, 1st Block, Koramangala, Bangalore - 560034, INDIA Ph: 91-80-41970400 Ext: 520, Mob: 9741322771 ...

Re: Embedded Systems Design (the magazine--vent!)
Dave, I totally agree with you - a real de-evolutionary step. A PDF is much better and gets the job done. It makes you wonder who makes these types of decisions. Embedded Systems Design is the flagship publication of the industry - you'd think someone would actually techinically review these types of decisions - in this case, apparently not. Hopefully Jack Ganssle will do an article about 'Back in the Good Old Days Of PDF when you could actually read this thing...'.;) I agree with the other poster also - let's just totally de-evolve and subscribe to the print version and ...

Good UML Tools For Embedded System Design
Hi, I work for a company that does automobile airbag software. Typical ROM sizes are well under 256K. We are searching for a good tool for group software development that will capture a design and manipulate it (change it, print it, etc.). Can anybody suggest anything they've had really good experience with? We'd like to investigate all suggestions. Thanks a lot, Dave Ashley. On 11 Nov 2003 07:18:25 -0800, dtashley@aol.com (David T. Ashley) wrote: >Hi, > >I work for a company that does automobile airbag software. Typical >ROM sizes are well under 256K. > >We are searching for a good tool for group software development that >will capture a design and manipulate it (change it, print it, etc.). > >Can anybody suggest anything they've had really good experience with? >We'd like to investigate all suggestions. > We've had pretty good experience with IAR VisualState. Generates reasonable code from (essentially) UML statecharts. Not a full UML, however, if you're just looking to capture design information. For example, one project had about 12 state machines, more than 60 total states, required a little over 5k ROM space. Of that, about 2.5k was our support code (device interface, initialization, etc.). So the state machines themselves and the code to drive them took less than 3k. It seems to scale well -- Quadrupling the number of states (15 -> 60) resulted in a less than 50% increase (>2k -> <3k) ...

real-time monitoring of propriety system: embedding python in C or embedding C in python?
Hi Group, at work, we are thinking to replace some legacy application, which is a hom= e-grown scripting language for monitoring and controlling a large experimen= t. It is able to read live data from sensors, do some simple logic and calc= ulations, send commands to other subsystems and finally generate some new s= ignals. The way it is implemented is that it gets a chunk of 1 second of da= ta (thousands of signals at sample rates from 1Hz to several kHz), does som= e simple calculations on selected signals, does some simple logic, sends so= me commands and finally computes some 1Hz output signals, all before the ne= xt chunk of data arrives. The purpose is mainly to monitor other fast proce= sses and adjust things like process gains and set-points, like in a SCADA s= ystem. (I know about systems like Epics and Tango, but I cannot use those i= n the near future.) It can be considered soft-real time: it is desirable th= at the computation finishes within the next second most of the time, but if= the deadline is missed occasionally, nothing bad should happen. The curren= t system is hard to maintain and is limited in capabilities (no advanced ma= th, no sub-functions, ...). I hope I don't have to convince you that python would be the perfect langua= ge to replace such a home-grown scripting language, especially since you th= an get all the power of tools like numpy, logging and interface to database= s for free. Convincing my colleagues might cost ...

[OT] 2 full-time openings at Xilinx (embedded systems, embedded software, SoC, FPGA)
Hello, Xilinx (San Jose, California) has 2 full-time openings for people intereste= d in software development, embedded systems, SoC chips, ARM architecture an= d FPGAs. Ideal candidate would love seeing hardware and software cooperate. As a mem= ber of our team you'll spend most of your time with Vim/Emacs, designing, w= riting, testing and breaking our proprietary OS. It's written in BSD-style = ANSI C and assembler, has 101k lines of code and is used across the company= in all sorts of unusual ways. If that sounds interesting to you, here are the links: IRC104504: http://tinyurl.com/XILINX-IRC104504 IRC104645: http://tinyurl.com/XILINX-IRC104645 If you think you qualify, send an e-mail with attached resume in the PDF fi= le to: pssa_hiring (at) xilinx.com E-mail should have a format: To: pssa_hiring (at) xilinx.com From: you@mail.domain Subject: IRC104504 or IRC104645 Otherwise it'll go to spam. Thanks, --=20 Wojciech A. Koszek Sr Systems Design Engineer wojciech.koszek (at) xilinx.com ...

Any worth and reputed University for Masters in Embedded System Design??
Hi Guys, I have a special interest in Embedded System Design. I am looking for a Master level course that has main focus on the Embedded System Design. I put enough effort to find out a good and reputed University or Institute that offers Masters in Embedded System Design around the globe anywhere, but with not much of results. Only got one in Singapore, National University of Singapore, which has a department called Design Technology Institute, which offers 2-years course of this kind. This course has been started recently in 2002. So not a single batch is out yet. I have no idea how good a...

Embedded Systems Design
Free Magazine Here... http://ebooksick.tradepub.com/free/esd/prgm.cgi Embedded Systems Design is a monthly magazine for engineers, programmers, and project leaders who build microcontroller and embedded microprocessor-based systems. Embedded Systems Design magazine provides best practices and peer guidance for Senior Systems Designers and their teams. These are the key designers responsible for defining systems, selecting the critical hardware and software components, building the systems, and integrating the hardware and firmware designs. This systems design magazine highlights the significant design methodologies, strategies and new products engineers need to gain a competitive advantage. On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 04:27:21 -0700 (PDT), Mike <mkborntowin@gmail.com> wrote: >Free Magazine Here... >http://ebooksick.tradepub.com/free/esd/prgm.cgi OR just go to the mothership at http://www.embedded.com and sign up for the free digital version there. -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA ...

DIR 100 router as a hardware platform for embedded system?
Hi All, I need to prepare a small, ethernet connected embedded system (just a few pieces). The cheapest solution is to reuse a standard router. I have found the http://hri.sf.net, but it lists only relatively old routers. There is also OpenWRT site ( http://toh.openwrt.org/ ), but it lists mainly relatively expensive, WiFi enabled routers. The cheapest router I can buy is DRI 100, manufactured by D-Link. However I can not found any info regarding its internals and reengineering. Before I'll buy and disassemble one, could someone please provide me with some information regarding the hardware resources available in this box (CPU, amount of FLASH/RAM, available "hidden" connectors)? -- TIA & Regards, Wojtek ...

Web resources about - Design Hardware for Embedded Systems - comp.arch.embedded

Simmons Hardware Company Warehouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
42°29′35″N 96°24′34″W  /  42.49306°N 96.40944°W  / 42.49306; -96.40944 Coordinates : 42°29′35″N 96°24′34″W  /  42.49306°N 96.40944°W  / ...

Battling Bunnings: Expert's plan to combine Masters and Home Timber & Hardware gains steam
Combining Masters Home Improvement with the Home Timber & Hardware is the only way to create a serious number two player in the hardware space, ...

Bunnings could be set to face a new force in hardware
... Dick Smith into a $520 million sharemarket sensation is hatching a plan to bring together Australia's two biggest, independent hardware chains ...

Battling Bunnings: Expert's plan to combine Masters and Home Timber & Hardware gains steam
Combining Masters Home Improvement with the Home Timber &amp; Hardware is the only way to create a serious number two player in the hardware ...

Building a (sub-$1000) Hackintosh that meets the Oculus Rift hardware requirements – Part I
Back at the beginning of March, Oculus CEO Palmer Luckey made controversial statements about Apple’s hardware, specifically the inability of ...

Ace Hardware Debuts First Work from O'Keefe Reinhard & Paul
The new campaign features its friendly, stick-in-your-head jingle "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks," and includes real Ace store ...

DARPA to host killer “Improv” performances with hacked hardware
... Defense Science Office is preparing for an alternative sort of "improv" performance. DARPA is inviting researchers, developers, and hardware-hacking ...

Google joins Facebook's game-changing project that's eating the $140 billion hardware market
If the hardware industry was nervous about Facebook's game-changing Open Compute Project before, it should now be downright terrified now: Google ...

How to use Apple Diagnostics to identify Mac hardware problems
... are usually pretty reliable, but when they do go wrong the Apple Diagnostics tool should help you figure out if you have a software or a hardware ...

Hyrule Warriors Legends is a grim warning against revised hardware
When Microsoft first announced that it was considering modular revisions for Xbox One hardware, I was actually somewhat on board with the idea. ...