Editor?

What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
it's buggy, unfortunately).

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!

-->Neil

0
nb_no_spam (292)
1/2/2005 9:11:33 PM
comp.arch.embedded 20047 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Neil Bradley wrote:
> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
> cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
> environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
> Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
> one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
> it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!

If you want the whole kit and caboodle with all bells
and whistles (and some learning threshold), consider
Emacs. There are versions for even Windowses.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800, "Neil Bradley"
<nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:

>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
>cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
>environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
>Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
>one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
>it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!

Use vi, the one true editor...    ;-)

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
0
> Use vi, the one true editor...    ;-)

And Jimmy Carter is still President, right?  :) :)

0
mc_no_spam (103)
1/2/2005 10:37:36 PM
Tauno Voipio wrote:

> Neil Bradley wrote:
>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames
>> or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed
>> nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>
>> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>

> If you want the whole kit and caboodle with all bells
> and whistles (and some learning threshold), consider
> Emacs. There are versions for even Windowses.

LOL

Ian
--
Ian Bell
0
Rich Webb wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800, "Neil Bradley"
> <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:
>
>>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>>longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or
>>PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>>modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>>Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor
>>supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>
>>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
> Use vi, the one true editor...    ;-)

LOL

Ian
--
Ian Bell
0
Neil Bradley wrote:

> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or
> PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor
> supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
> -->Neil

For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.

Ian
--
Ian Bell
0
Ian Bell wrote:

> Neil Bradley wrote:
>
>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames
>> or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed
>> nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>
>> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>
>> -->Neil
>
> For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.
>
> Ian

Kedit and/or Kate as a replacement for brief? LOL

Noel

0
noel7013 (72)
1/2/2005 10:57:58 PM
Ian Bell wrote:
> Tauno Voipio wrote:
>

>>Neil Bradley wrote:
>>
>>>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>>>longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames
>>>or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>>>modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>>>Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed
>>>nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>>
>>>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>>

>>If you want the whole kit and caboodle with all bells
>>and whistles (and some learning threshold), consider
>>Emacs. There are versions for even Windowses.
>>

> LOL
>
> Ian

I use XEmacs. I don't really like it, but it will be around forever, unlike
Brief and Codewright, and dozens of other abandonwares.

0
bh.remove (128)
1/2/2005 10:59:19 PM
Neil Bradley wrote:

> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
> cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
> environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
> Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
> one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
> it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
> -->Neil

Well, I think Ian, Rich and Tauno have summed it up: favorite editors is
_definitely_ a religious issue.  I've used Codewrite up to v6, and have
had people express satisfaction with Borlands v7 -- what's this about it
not being maintained?

PS:  I'm currently using Programmer's File Editor, not because I like it
better, but because it's free.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Neil Bradley wrote:
> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
> cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
> environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
> Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
> one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
> it's buggy, unfortunately).

I've been using UltraEdit and have been really happy with it. You can
configure almost everything about it and it works with large files.
supports all the usual syntax coloring and such (if you want it) and has
been extremely reliable. You can try it for free and registering it
costs $30US the last time I looked. WWW.ultraedit.com

Good Luck,
Bob

Neil Bradley wrote:
> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
> cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
> environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
> Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
> one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
> it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
> -->Neil

I like Vim. It's free and flexible. I googled 'brief editor' and the
first link was http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=265 which
has a vim script that does 'Brief-like' binding and behavior.

Al
0
algst (16)
1/2/2005 11:18:56 PM
"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:

>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
>cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
>environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
>Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
>one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
>it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!

www.slickedit.com  Expensive but if you try the evaluation you will
probably buy it anyway.

0
nospam59 (11089)
1/2/2005 11:32:42 PM
"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:

>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
>cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
>environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
>Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).

Wil Taphoorn wrote 2001 "If you liked Brief (as I still do) you will
love CRiSP, you can even keep your Brief macros." So look at
http://www.vital.com/

Links to more editors: http://wiki.oliverbetz.de/owiki.php/TextEditors
(might be outdated).

> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being
> developed nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).

Didn't know this - http://www.codewright.com/ doesn't state this and
CodeWright 7.5 is still offered for 299USD at shop.borland.com.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
0
Tim Wescott wrote:

> Neil Bradley wrote:
>
>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames
>> or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed
>> nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>
>> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>
>> -->Neil
>>

> Well, I think Ian, Rich and Tauno have summed it up: favorite editors is
> _definitely_ a religious issue.  I've used Codewrite up to v6, and have
> had people express satisfaction with Borlands v7 -- what's this about it
> not being maintained?
>
> PS:  I'm currently using Programmer's File Editor, not because I like it
> better, but because it's free.

Before I became Linux-only, I used PFE for all coding. Before that I swore
by CodeWright as well.

Noel

0
noel7013 (72)
1/2/2005 11:42:18 PM
Al Gosselin wrote:

> Neil Bradley wrote:
>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames
>> or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed
>> nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>
>> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>
>> -->Neil
>>

> I like Vim. It's free and flexible. I googled 'brief editor' and the
> first link was http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=265 which
> has a vim script that does 'Brief-like' binding and behavior.
>
> Al

Ah. My current favorite for the last 7 years and my only code editor for
that last 5. It is my favorite for extensibility.
www.vimoutliner.org is one small example.

Noel

0
noel7013 (72)
1/2/2005 11:44:20 PM
Noel Henson wrote:

> Ian Bell wrote:
>
>> Neil Bradley wrote:
>>
>>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>>> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames
>>> or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>>> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed
>>> nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>>
>>> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>>
>>> -->Neil
>>
>> For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.
>>
>> Ian
>
> Kedit and/or Kate as a replacement for brief? LOL
>
> Noel

As I said, for simple stuff, certainly.

Ian
--
Ian Bell
0
Ian Bell wrote:

> Noel Henson wrote:
>
>> Ian Bell wrote:

>>> For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.
>>>
>>> Ian
>>
>> Kedit and/or Kate as a replacement for brief? LOL
>>
>> Noel
>
> As I said, for simple stuff, certainly.
>
> Ian

Just teasing. My opinion shouldn't count for much (on this subject) anyway.
I'm a Vim user. :)

Noel

0
noel7013 (72)
1/3/2005 12:08:20 AM
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800, the renowned "Neil Bradley"
<nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:

>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
>cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
>environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
>Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
>one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
>it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
>-->Neil

I like Ultradit. I switched from PFE some years ago, and Ultraedit has
improved a lot since then. Despite the author's proselytizing
(speaking of "religious" issues).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speffSNIP (1047)
1/3/2005 12:28:10 AM
MetalHead wrote:

>I've been using UltraEdit and have been really happy with it. You can
>configure almost everything about it and it works with large files.
>supports all the usual syntax coloring and such (if you want it) and has
>been extremely reliable. You can try it for free and registering it
>costs $30US the last time I looked. WWW.ultraedit.com

The column mode saves a huge amount of time when adjusting indenting.
Highly recommended.

0
Guy
1/3/2005 1:49:54 AM
I second Rich, of course; but if you want something GUI and free, try
Crimson Editor, http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

0
toby23 (1177)
1/3/2005 1:50:41 AM
"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote in

> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief
> is no longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle
> long pathnames or PATH environment variables under Windows, and
> I'd like something more modern with Brief emulation capabilities
> (pay or free - doesn't matter).

I switched from Brief to Epsilon (Lugaru Software payware) in the
late eighties (!), and have been a fan ever since.  It's very emacs-
like OOTB, but you can set it up to emulate Brief (or just about any
other editor you like).

- Fred
0
abuse1729 (8)
1/3/2005 3:45:17 AM
I have gotten very good use out of jedit (jedit.org).  It has lots of
plugins and syntax highlighters and with an ant build file there is not
much you can't setup to build from within the editor.

I keep hearing things about eclipse, but everytime I have tried a new
version release I find it too confusing to use and configure.

SlickEdit is fashionable now. Has Brief emulation.
Has versions that run on Windows, Unix, and other platforms.
Its nice that you can take it with you regardless of platform, most anyway.

"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote in message
> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or
> PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor
> supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
> -->Neil

0
ch8052 (1)
1/3/2005 4:55:54 AM
Neil Bradley wrote:
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!

For trivial code changes (on PCs or unixen): vi
For bigger changes on Unixen: emacs
For bigger changes on PCs: Visual Studio

I only recommend Visual Studio because my company provides an MSDN
subscription to all engineers - I wouldn't have tried it otherwise.  For
windows development, it rocks.  Some guys I work with actually edit
their unix code with it, too, because it's a great code editor.

Kelly
0
khall (185)
1/3/2005 4:56:04 AM

Neil Bradley wrote:

> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
> cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
> environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
> Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
> one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
> it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
> -->Neil

TextEdit is not bad

0
nsk (250)
1/3/2005 5:18:09 AM

Neil Kurzman wrote:

> Neil Bradley wrote:
>
> > What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
> > cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
> > environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
> > Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
> > one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
> > it's buggy, unfortunately).
> >
> > Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
> >
> > -->Neil
>
> TextEdit is not bad

excuse me TextPad.

0
nsk (250)
1/3/2005 5:19:33 AM
One word... emacs.  It exists for ALL platforms and will not be
abandoned like other products.

Or... have a look ar CRISP.  It is a brief clone.

Cheers,
Rich

In article <10tgovop37jmifd@corp.supernews.com>, nb_no_spam@synthcom.com
says...
> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
> cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
> environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
> Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
> one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
> it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
> -->Neil

0
RichH
1/3/2005 5:39:59 AM
Guy Macon wrote:
> MetalHead wrote:
>

>>I've been using UltraEdit and have been really happy with it. You can
>>configure almost everything about it and it works with large files.
>>supports all the usual syntax coloring and such (if you want it) and has
>>been extremely reliable. You can try it for free and registering it
>>costs $30US the last time I looked. WWW.ultraedit.com
>

> The column mode saves a huge amount of time when adjusting indenting.
> Highly recommended.

On the strength of the column mode promise I just downloaded it -- very
nice.  I spent about 45 minutes customizing it for Verilog and it looks
OK (any "real" Verilog syntax definitions out there?).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
<tim@wescottnospamdesign.com> wrote:

>Guy Macon wrote:
>> MetalHead wrote:
>>

>>>I've been using UltraEdit and have been really happy with it. You can
>>>configure almost everything about it and it works with large files.
>>>supports all the usual syntax coloring and such (if you want it) and has
>>>been extremely reliable. You can try it for free and registering it
>>>costs $30US the last time I looked. WWW.ultraedit.com
>>

>> The column mode saves a huge amount of time when adjusting indenting.
>> Highly recommended.
>>
>On the strength of the column mode promise I just downloaded it -- very
>nice.  I spent about 45 minutes customizing it for Verilog and it looks
>OK (any "real" Verilog syntax definitions out there?).

I don't know how good they are, but there are a couple here:

http://www.ultraedit.com/index.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=40#wordfiles

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speffSNIP (1047)
1/3/2005 6:10:35 AM
Neil Bradley wrote:
> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
> cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
> environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
> Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
> one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
> it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
> -->Neil

These are ones I've bookmarked

CRedit - was good, free, but now frozen.
http://www.praven3.com/credit/

ConTEXT - similar to CRedit, bit slightly less frozen.
http://fixedsys.com/context/

For Free and OpenSource editors, there are :

Programmers Nodepad, improving steadily...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pnotepad/

Syn Text Editor
http://sourceforge.net/projects/syn
Quite good, but seems to have changed main
developer recently.

You'll need to check into the brief emulation.

-jg

0
no.spam4875 (840)
1/3/2005 6:20:44 AM
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

>Tim Wescott wrote:
>
>>Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote:

>>> The column mode saves a huge amount of time when adjusting indenting.
>>> Highly recommended.
>>>
>>On the strength of the column mode promise I just downloaded it -- very
>>nice.  I spent about 45 minutes customizing it for Verilog and it looks
>>OK (any "real" Verilog syntax definitions out there?).
>
>I don't know how good they are, but there are a couple here:
>
>http://www.ultraedit.com/index.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=40#wordfiles

Needless to say, if your definition is better than the one  on
the UltraEdit website, you should share it with them so that
the next fellow doesn't have the same problem.

0
Guy
1/3/2005 6:27:38 AM
"Ian Bell" <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Neil Bradley wrote:
>
>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames
>> or
>> PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed
>> nor
>> supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>
>> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>
>> -->Neil
>
> For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.
>
> Ian
> --
> Ian Bell

LOL...
vi is the one-n-only better choice, gvim aka GUI on Windows....
-Neo

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800, "Neil Bradley"
<nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:

>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
>cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
>environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
>Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
>one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
>it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!

29 replies and no one has mentioned the best editor of all!

Multi Edit, of course I think it even has a built in option for
Brief emulation (although why anyone would want that is
beyond me :)

Mike Harding

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:57:58 -0800, Noel Henson <noel@noels-lab.com>
wrote:

>Ian Bell wrote:
>
>> Neil Bradley wrote:
>>
>>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>>> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames
>>> or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>>> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed
>>> nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>>
>>> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>>
>>> -->Neil
>>
>> For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.
>>
>> Ian
>
>Kedit and/or Kate as a replacement for brief? LOL
>
>Noel

If the Kedit refered to is the one from Mansfiled software
(http://www.kedit.com ) then it might be. It is an extended version
of the IBM XEDIT editor using REXX as the macro language. THE (The
Hessling Editor) is an opensource version avalable on sourceforge.
Powerfull editor for working in a console. Native X version avialable
as well. (Uses XCurses library)

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

0
nobody62 (615)
1/3/2005 9:26:54 AM
I use the "SEE" editor that came with the ancient "DeSmet C" compiler
for DOS.  It allows me to edit without looking at the keyboard since
it makes little use of the Function Keys.

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)
0
no-one3 (163)
1/3/2005 12:48:34 PM
Kelly Hall schrieb:

> windows development, it rocks.  Some guys I work with actually edit
> their unix code with it, too, because it's a great code editor.

I didn't liked it until I found VisualAssistX. VS6 in combination with
VAX is really great. It only lacks the colum mode from UltraEdit.

--
Matthias Wei�er
matthias@matwei.de
Rich Webb wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800, "Neil Bradley"
><nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:
>
>>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
>>cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
>>environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
>>Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
>>one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
>>it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>
>>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
>Use vi, the one true editor...    ;-)

And, if forced to use Windows(TM), look to Lemmy for a well implemented
vi for that platform.

          Michael Kesti            |  "And like, one and one don't make
                                   |   two, one and one make one."
          mkesti@gv.net            |          - The Who, Bargain
0
mkesti (149)
1/3/2005 3:14:31 PM
Guy Macon said

> MetalHead wrote:
>
> >I've been using UltraEdit and have been really happy with it. You can
> >configure almost everything about it and it works with large files.
> >supports all the usual syntax coloring and such (if you want it) and has
> >been extremely reliable. You can try it for free and registering it
> >costs $30US the last time I looked. WWW.ultraedit.com
>
> The column mode saves a huge amount of time when adjusting indenting.
> Highly recommended.

Yes - the column mode is extremely useful.

I've been using UltraEdit for years and I also highly recommend it.

Casey
Guy Macon wrote:

> Spehro Pefhany wrote:
>
>>Tim Wescott wrote:

>>>On the strength of the column mode promise I just downloaded it -- very
>>>nice.  I spent about 45 minutes customizing it for Verilog and it looks
>>>OK (any "real" Verilog syntax definitions out there?).
>>
>>I don't know how good they are, but there are a couple here:
>>
>>http://www.ultraedit.com/index.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=40#wordfiles
>

> Needless to say, if your definition is better than the one  on
> the UltraEdit website, you should share it with them so that
> the next fellow doesn't have the same problem.

Nope, there's is better -- mine was just thrown together to see what it
could do, plus I'm a relative newbie to Verilog.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Neil Bradley <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:
> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I've found NEdit to be pretty nice and free:
www.nedit.org

For X-windows, not sure about windows.

ttyl,

--buddy

Noel Henson wrote:

snip

>>> Kedit and/or Kate as a replacement for brief? LOL
>>>
>>> Noel
>>
>> As I said, for simple stuff, certainly.
>>
>> Ian
>
> Just teasing. My opinion shouldn't count for much (on this subject)
> anyway. I'm a Vim user. :)

No offence taken.  I know editors are a very personal thing.  I remember
nearly 25 years ago working on a microprocessor development system that had
a line based editor (worse than the old IBM edlin).  It was OK once you got
used to it and I used it everyday for about six months. However, I also
remember the revelation when the first screen based editor appeared.  After
that there was no way I would go back to a line based editor.  I felt the
same when GUI editors appeared with their point and click interface and no
need to learn arcane key sequences.

I am sure that for people who do a lot of editing it is easy to become very
familiar (and productive) with a particular editor.  For the casual editor
like me a minimal learning curve is essential.  I only mentioned Kwrite,
which I would initially have put in the same class as Windows Write i.e
more a primitive word processor than an editor, because almost by chance I
started using it to write a Tcl/Tk programme.  To my surprise it recognised
the keywords and highlighted the code as well as showing starting and
corresponding ending braces. With line numbering turned on it does me fine.

Ian
--
Ian Bell
0
Buddy Smith wrote:
> Neil Bradley <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:
>
>>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer

> Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I've found NEdit to be pretty nice and free:
> www.nedit.org
>
> For X-windows, not sure about windows.
>
> ttyl,
>
> --buddy

I' currently running Nedit on X and the olde Codewright
on Windows (pretty seldom).

For programming work, the syntax coloring has
saved plenty of debugging and compiler complaints.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Neo wrote:

> "Ian Bell" <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Neil Bradley wrote:
>>
>>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>>> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames
>>> or
>>> PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more
>>> modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter).
>>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed
>>> nor
>>> supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>>
>>> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>>
>>> -->Neil
>>
>> For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.
>>
>> Ian
>> --
>> Ian Bell
>
> LOL...
> vi is the one-n-only better choice, gvim aka GUI on Windows....
> -Neo

Interesting.  Pls define 'better'.

Ian
--
Ian Bell
0
Neo wrote:

snip

>> For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.
>>
>> Ian
>> --
>> Ian Bell
>
> LOL...
> vi is the one-n-only better choice, gvim aka GUI on Windows....
> -Neo

I mentioned Kedit but in fact I really meant Kwrite - not a minimal word
editor but quite a good programmers editor.  Has highlighting for very many
languages etc.

Ian
--
Ian Bell
0
<bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800, "Neil Bradley"
><nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:
>
>>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
[...]
>>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
>Use vi, the one true editor...    ;-)

Vi is a piece of wombat do.  ;-)

After Borland bought and killed Brief, I switched to CodeWright.  Then
Borland bought CodeWright, and...

I'll probably continue using CodeWright in the near future, but if
(when) I have to switch again, it'll probably be to Xemacs.

If you want something very simple and free under Windoze, Programmer's
Notepad (http://www.pnotepad.org/) fits the bill nicely.  My biggest
complaint is the lack of column cut/paste/etc.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
0
wrote:
>>>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
>[...]
>>>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>>
>>Use vi, the one true editor...    ;-)
>
>Vi is a piece of wombat do.  ;-)

Oi! Don't you say bad things about our wombats!

Mike Harding (in Oz :)

Eclipse is too resources hungry for my liking, but the good thing about
Eclipse is that it is platform independent and free.
My current editor de jour is jedit.

There will never be agreement on the best.

So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:

I nominate the Tek-Lab with a DECWriter (30 cps teletype
like thingy).  I grew up on an '026 keypunch, so the
ability to get a listing _any time you wanted_ was,
like, wow!

Intel had a pretty awful one, Credit(?), that should have
been called 'Bankrupt'.

Intel improved it with 'Alter'.

Then Willy The Wanker gave the world edlin (don't
you wish he had finished college?) and I longed for
an IBM '026.

IBM came out with 'Professional Editor': I threw it
away.  Wish I had kept it, it was _so_ incredibly bad.  IBM
also had a 'Personal Editor', a bit better but you wouldn't
want to use it.  Edlin didn't look so bad after these two.

Then it was back to Alter under run.com, a program that let
Intel x86 MDSIII software run on an IBM PC.

Then came Brief.  Heaven.  I am still using V 1.32. Brief
went down hill after that and I was sick of the text
editor dance.  OK, no mouse, but mice just give you
numb fingers and an aching back.

Yeah, yeah: I have ME, Emacs, Kedit (?), blah blah blah,
workbenches out my ears, IDE this and IDE that ...
they don't impress me.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
> There will never be agreement on the best.
>
> So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:
>
> I nominate the Tek-Lab with a DECWriter (30 cps teletype
> like thingy).  I grew up on an '026 keypunch, so the
> ability to get a listing _any time you wanted_ was,
> like, wow!

Do you really want to go back that far?

Ok, Symbolic Tape Editor -> ASR33

Came with new PDP8/L's along with PAL3
assembler.

Want to go back even farther?

How about a Friden Flexwriter and paper
tape.  *No* editor.  Make a mistake,
back up the tape and press rubout.

Anyone that had a DECWriter was in fat city (:

> Intel had a pretty awful one, Credit(?), that should have
> been called 'Bankrupt'.
>
> Intel improved it with 'Alter'.
>
> Then Willy The Wanker gave the world edlin (don't
> you wish he had finished college?) and I longed for
> an IBM '026.
>
> IBM came out with 'Professional Editor': I threw it
> away.  Wish I had kept it, it was _so_ incredibly bad.  IBM
> also had a 'Personal Editor', a bit better but you wouldn't
> want to use it.  Edlin didn't look so bad after these two.
>
> Then it was back to Alter under run.com, a program that let
> Intel x86 MDSIII software run on an IBM PC.
>
> Then came Brief.  Heaven.  I am still using V 1.32. Brief
> went down hill after that and I was sick of the text
> editor dance.  OK, no mouse, but mice just give you
> numb fingers and an aching back.
>
> Yeah, yeah: I have ME, Emacs, Kedit (?), blah blah blah,
> workbenches out my ears, IDE this and IDE that ...
> they don't impress me.

0
jstewart1 (739)
1/4/2005 12:54:11 AM
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:32:49 +0100, in msg <41d982d6.42047993@z1.oliverbetz.de>,
Oliver Betz <OBetz@despammed.com> wrote:

>"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:
>
>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being
>> developed nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
>Didn't know this - http://www.codewright.com/ doesn't state this and
>CodeWright 7.5 is still offered for 299USD at shop.borland.com.

Click on the "An open letter to CodeWright customers." link on that same page.

-Zonn
--
Zonn Moore            Remove the ".AOL" from the
Zektor, LLC           email address to reply.
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:28:36 +0000, Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
> So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:

Anything stupid enough to lose work is in the class of worst text editors.
MS Word wins that race, for me.

Not that you'd want to use it for coding, anyway.

> Then came Brief.  Heaven.  I am still using V 1.32. Brief went down hill
> after that and I was sick of the text editor dance.  OK, no mouse, but
> mice just give you numb fingers and an aching back.

Re: mice: yeah, they do.  Trackpoints, track pads and track balls all do
the same job, with (respectively IMO) much less strain and grief.  I use
a nice logitech trackball next to my short "Happy Hacker" keyboard on my
desktop, and have laptops with trackpoints and track pads.  No more
neck/thumb strain.

> Yeah, yeah: I have ME, Emacs, Kedit (?), blah blah blah, workbenches out
> my ears, IDE this and IDE that ... they don't impress me.

Vim rules: no mice, no function keys, no alt-meta-cokebottle,
syntax colouring, multiple buffers, tag files, compile/fix, semantic
cursor movement at the tips of your fingers.  The only things that come
close are original vi and Emacs VIPER mode (which is quite nice, too).

[Actually EDT under VMS was quite nice, as long as you were prepared to
move your right hand off the home keys to get to the numeric keypad/edit
keys.]

--
Andrew

> So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:
>
> I nominate the Tek-Lab with a DECWriter (30 cps teletype
> like thingy).  I grew up on an '026 keypunch, so the
> ability to get a listing _any time you wanted_ was,
> like, wow!

I would like to nominate CobEd, Cobol Oriented Editor.
This editor was a customtversion of the AMIS editor, an Emacs
lookalike developed by "Stacken", the computer club
at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm.
The AMIS editor ran on DEC PDP-10/PDP-20 36 bit machines
and was also ported later to VAX/VMS.
I think at one time "Stacken" owned 18 PDP-10s/20s and
was known at DEC Maynard under its pet name "THE computer club" :-)

Anyway, I was sitting one day dicsussing the "worst" text editors around
with one of the developers and then we developed very quickly the CobEd.

Abbreviations is an unknown concept in Cobol, so any true Cobol Editor
must abolish abbreviations.
A typical abbreviation in AMIS is the mapping of a pressing a key on the
keyboard to
the function "Meta-X selfinsert"  uising the character as an argument.

By removing this mapping, CobEd was created.
In order to insert a character in CobEd the user had to type the string
"<ESC>Xselfinsert<CR><LF>"    The <ESC> is used as the "Meta" prefix.
The editor would then promt the user for a character.
Once pressed, the function selfinsert would be called with the character as
the argument,
so after 15 key presses , one character had been inserted in the editor :-)

Rest of the editor (beeing Emacs lookalike) is of course pretty nice,
but I cannot conceive there is an REAL competition for the worst editor
here...

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

0
ulf (187)
1/4/2005 9:35:52 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
> There will never be agreement on the best.
>
> So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:

Limiting it to the (modern) editors that are foisted on us by IDE
vendors the worst has to be Codewarrior as supplied with the ARM
developer suite.  No variable/function name completion, no source code
browsing and, despite a number of calls to metrowerks support, it will
not print files (nothing else has any difficulty but CW generates a
windows error)
Codewarrior - probably the world's most expensive make utility.

0
ian_okey (45)
1/4/2005 11:55:22 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
> There will never be agreement on the best.
>
> So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:
>
> I nominate the Tek-Lab with a DECWriter (30 cps teletype
> like thingy).  I grew up on an '026 keypunch, so the
> ability to get a listing _any time you wanted_ was,
> like, wow!
>
> Intel had a pretty awful one, Credit(?), that should have
> been called 'Bankrupt'.
>
> Intel improved it with 'Alter'.

I remember Intel's Aedit, both on MDS and on MS-DOS. Is it the same?

I still use Aedit when switching to a "command prompt window". I think
its short-cuts are hard-wired in my brain, and when I see a black 80x25
text window, I cannot stop typing C:>AEDIT.

I think Aedit is the best editor whose executable is under 76,896 bytes.
And, for the really memory-aware, you have Intel's Iedit, a slim version
of Aedit (48,712 bytes!)

> Then Willy The Wanker gave the world edlin (don't
> you wish he had finished college?) and I longed for
> an IBM '026.
>
> IBM came out with 'Professional Editor': I threw it
> away.  Wish I had kept it, it was _so_ incredibly bad.  IBM
> also had a 'Personal Editor', a bit better but you wouldn't
> want to use it.  Edlin didn't look so bad after these two.

Right. IBM Professional Editor made me think of remaining an amateur
programmer, instead of becoming professional :-) And in those DOS days,
I learned edlin so well that I could edit autoexec.bat and config.sys
without a screen. Which, believe me, it was a real situation sometimes.

> Then it was back to Alter under run.com, a program that let
> Intel x86 MDSIII software run on an IBM PC.
>
> Then came Brief.  Heaven.  I am still using V 1.32. Brief
> went down hill after that and I was sick of the text
> editor dance.  OK, no mouse, but mice just give you
> numb fingers and an aching back.
>
> Yeah, yeah: I have ME, Emacs, Kedit (?), blah blah blah,
> workbenches out my ears, IDE this and IDE that ...
> they don't impress me.

0
igtorque (11)
1/4/2005 2:23:26 PM
"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote in

> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
> longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long
> pathnames or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like
> something more modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free -
> doesn't matter). Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no
> longer being developed nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!

Been using codewright for years, still do and am quite happy with it.
Which version are/were you using?  I admit I do not use it in brief
emulation mode, so perhaps that is where you are encountering issues.

--
Richard
Rich Webb <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800, "Neil Bradley"
> <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:
>
>>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no
>>longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long
>>pathnames or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like
>>something more modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free -
>>doesn't matter). Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no
>>longer being developed nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>
>>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
> Use vi, the one true editor...    ;-)

uh oh, here we go...

and btw, just for the record, vi is evil, or at least half so...

--
Richard
Andrew Reilly <andrew-newspost@areilly.bpc-users.org> wrote in

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:28:36 +0000, Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
>> So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:
>
> Anything stupid enough to lose work is in the class of worst text
> editors. MS Word wins that race, for me.
>
> Not that you'd want to use it for coding, anyway.
>
>> Then came Brief.  Heaven.  I am still using V 1.32. Brief went down
>> hill after that and I was sick of the text editor dance.  OK, no
>> mouse, but mice just give you numb fingers and an aching back.
>
> Re: mice: yeah, they do.  Trackpoints, track pads and track balls all
> do the same job, with (respectively IMO) much less strain and grief.
> I use a nice logitech trackball next to my short "Happy Hacker"
> keyboard on my desktop, and have laptops with trackpoints and track
> pads.  No more neck/thumb strain.

I used a trackball up until I tried the Anir mouse.  It's basically a
mouse with a big vertical handle on top of it where the buttons are
mounted.  You move it around like a mouse, but no strain, no pain.  I
still use a logitech trackball at home however.

--
Richard
Zonn <news-zonn@zektor.AOL.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:32:49 +0100, in msg
> <41d982d6.42047993@z1.oliverbetz.de>, Oliver Betz
> <OBetz@despammed.com> wrote:
>
>>"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being
>>> developed nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).
>>
>>Didn't know this - http://www.codewright.com/ doesn't state this and
>>CodeWright 7.5 is still offered for 299USD at shop.borland.com.
>
> Click on the "An open letter to CodeWright customers." link on that
> same page.

I still plan on using it until such time as MS breaks it with a new Windoze
release, and even then, I may just forgo the new version of Windoze...

--
Richard
Dave Hansen wrote:

.... snip ...

> If you want something very simple and free under Windoze,
> Programmer's Notepad (http://www.pnotepad.org/) fits the bill
> nicely.  My biggest complaint is the lack of column cut/paste/etc.

Try textpad.  <http://textpad.com>

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!

0
cbfalconer (19194)
1/4/2005 4:28:25 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

> There will never be agreement on the best.
>
> So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:

Emacs - no contest.

Ian
--
Ian Bell
0

Crisp is a very good brief emulation cross platform, both cost $$

Paul

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800, "Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote:

>What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
>cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
>environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
>Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
>one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
>it's buggy, unfortunately).
>
>Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!
>
>-->Neil

0
pbreed (97)
1/4/2005 5:44:03 PM
> http://www.codewright.com/
> Click on the "An open letter to CodeWright customers." link on that same page.

  "... [We are closing] the CodeWright Business unit ..."

The executive summary.

  "... this strategic move will create exciting technical synergies ..."

80's MBA codswallop for "I haven't the foggiest what we are doing or why
we are doing it, but 'exciting strategic synergies' sure does sound good.".

  "... and directly benefit the customer base ..."

Bend over.

  "... [CodeWright will continue] as-is ... unsupported ...

Here it comes ...

  "... [we have] not yet set a date to discontinue the product ..."

You are screwed.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

see68 (146)
1/4/2005 7:02:52 PM
"Ignacio G. T." <igtorque@yahoo.es> wrote
> Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
> > Intel had a pretty awful one, Credit(?), that should have
> > been called 'Bankrupt'.
> >
> > Intel improved it with 'Alter'.
>
> I remember Intel's Aedit, both on MDS and on MS-DOS. Is it the same?

That's going back.  I think the port of Alter from MDS-III/ISIS-II (?)
to PC Dos was called Aedit.  And I think there was an Alter-80 for the
old MDS-I & -II.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
see68 (146)
1/4/2005 7:22:32 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

> "Ignacio G. T." <igtorque@yahoo.es> wrote
>
>>Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
>>
>>>Intel had a pretty awful one, Credit(?), that should have
>>>been called 'Bankrupt'.
>>>
>>>Intel improved it with 'Alter'.
>>
>>I remember Intel's Aedit, both on MDS and on MS-DOS. Is it the same?
>

> That's going back.  I think the port of Alter from MDS-III/ISIS-II (?)
> to PC Dos was called Aedit.  And I think there was an Alter-80 for the
> old MDS-I & -II.

Does anyone remember ALS8?

It was an editor/assembler/debugger (and
I use the term very loosely) that was
burned into a multitude of EPROMS plugged
into an s100 card plugged into an IMSAI
or Altair.  Exquisitely horrible.

0
jstewart1 (739)
1/4/2005 8:12:36 PM
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:02:52 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan" <see@sig.com> wrote:

>  "... [CodeWright will continue] as-is ... unsupported ...
>
>Here it comes ...
>
>  "... [we have] not yet set a date to discontinue the product ..."
>
>You are screwed.

And US$299 is charged for this??

Now, if only I had the complete list of the customers who are buying such a
product at such a price under such conditions!

Jon
0
jkirwan (830)
1/4/2005 8:15:23 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

> There will never be agreement on the best.
>
> So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:

To those amongst us that are ancient enough to have fond memories of
editing the holes in punch cards or paper tape then anything that got the
job done was not bad.

   "Adapt, Overcome, Survive!" (if anyone watched Heartbreak Ridge).

Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://peb@a...>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/>
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.
peb (808)
1/4/2005 9:08:07 PM
On 4 Jan 2005 15:35:56 GMT, in msg
<Xns95D4577968E7Brichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>, Richard
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>Zonn <news-zonn@zektor.AOL.com> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:32:49 +0100, in msg
>> <41d982d6.42047993@z1.oliverbetz.de>, Oliver Betz
>> <OBetz@despammed.com> wrote:

>>>Didn't know this - http://www.codewright.com/ doesn't state this and
>>>CodeWright 7.5 is still offered for 299USD at shop.borland.com.
>>
>> Click on the "An open letter to CodeWright customers." link on that
>> same page.
>>

>I still plan on using it until such time as MS breaks it with a new Windoze
>release, and even then, I may just forgo the new version of Windoze...

You and me both, it's currently the editor of choice for me (Ver 6.0e). I
switched to it after Borland bought BRIEF and shot it in the head.

I'll keep using until I'm forced to move over to something like Slickedit and
use it until Borland buys it and shoots it in the head, then I'll switch to
another editor until Borland buys it and shoots it in the head, eventually I'll
be using Emacs, until Borland sues on some patent issues, wins, and shoots it in
the head.

If you can't tell I have lost a lot of respect for Borland, who at one time,
many years ago, I actually thought had the ability to give MS some competition
with their cross-platform compilers, etc.

I love that last sentence in the first paragraph of the open letter:

"Borland is committed to providing developers with freedom of choice and
enabling developers to build better software, faster."

Yeah, yeah, and "War is Peace", and that used car dealer on the TV really wants
to give me his best deal, and cigarette companies really care about my health...

-Zonn

--
Zonn Moore            Remove the ".AOL" from the
Zektor, LLC           email address to reply.
www.zektor.com
0
news-zonn (23)
1/4/2005 9:40:53 PM
Guy Macon <_see.web.page_@_www.guymacon.com_> wrote:

>MetalHead wrote:
>
>>I've been using UltraEdit and have been really happy with it. You can
>>configure almost everything about it and it works with large files.
>>supports all the usual syntax coloring and such (if you want it) and has
>>been extremely reliable. You can try it for free and registering it
>>costs $30US the last time I looked. WWW.ultraedit.com
>
>The column mode saves a huge amount of time when adjusting indenting.
>Highly recommended.

Yes, is it not wonderful that we are so pleased with a function that
was already present in Wordstar(clones) 20 years ago. It did do
rectangular block copies (at least the later versions)

Joop

"Joop" <l_o_u_s_take_most_away@xs4all.nl> wrote

> Yes, is it not wonderful that we are so pleased with a function that
> was already present in Wordstar(clones) 20 years ago. It did do
> rectangular block copies (at least the later versions)

And in IBM's "personal editor": the more primitive the data
representation in the program the easier it is to do rectangular
text move/copy/delete.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
see68 (146)
1/5/2005 1:00:51 AM

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

> "Ignacio G. T." <igtorque@yahoo.es> wrote
>
>>Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
>>
>>>Intel had a pretty awful one, Credit(?), that should have
>>>been called 'Bankrupt'.
>>>
>>>Intel improved it with 'Alter'.
>>
>>I remember Intel's Aedit, both on MDS and on MS-DOS. Is it the same?
>

> That's going back.  I think the port of Alter from MDS-III/ISIS-II (?)
> to PC Dos was called Aedit.  And I think there was an Alter-80 for the
> old MDS-I & -II.

You are partially correct.  Intel first introduced the editor called
Alter for the MDS Series II and MDS-800.  They even sold an upgrade for
the Series II that added soft keys.  The Fctn-A soft key passed "ALTER "
to the operating system command line interpreter.  There was apparently
another company that had the name "alter" as one of their products.  I
don't remember what it was, but Intel had to change the name of their
Alter to something else.  They chose Aedit and consequently had to
replace the firmware enhancement to the Series II so the Fctn-A passed
"AEDIT " instead.

That original editor was 8080 code.  Then Intel released an 8086-based
version of Aedit for the Series III/IV/RMX-86 systems.  When Intel
started supporting development on the PC, they ported that version to
DOS by attaching a "UDI" layer.  You could even do that yourself with
the appropriate program from Intel (add the DOS UDI layer) to any of
their 8086 development tools.

Dave Mabry
0
dmabry (13)
1/5/2005 1:53:15 AM
"Paul E. Bennett" wrote:
> Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
>
>> There will never be agreement on the best.
>>
>> So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:
>
> To those amongst us that are ancient enough to have fond memories
> of editing the holes in punch cards or paper tape then anything
> that got the job done was not bad.

The ultimate luxury was to avoid the tape read and punch cycle with
an ASR33.  When I got my Microdata 800 up to 8k of core (circa
1970) I could combine the editor, assembler, and debugger into one
module with the source in core, and do instantaneous revisions.
The editor was some form of line editor.  Every so often things
went wild and needed a complete reload.  The trick was to punch the
revised source just before that event.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!

0
cbfalconer (19194)
1/5/2005 4:05:29 AM
My nominations:

Runners-up:

TJ-2 (TJ="Type Justifier") running on a DEC PDP-1

"Expensive Typewriter" running on a DEC PDP-1

Wang OIS-140 (see http://www.cass.net/~jdonoghu/
and http://vs18k.dyndns.org/oisemul.html )

The worst:

Word processing on a Friden Flexowriter *without* a PDP-1.
This is done by cutting and pasting (literally!) the paper tape.

--
Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/>

0
Guy
1/5/2005 5:45:17 AM
Ian Bell wrote:

> No offence taken.��I�know�editors�are�a�very�personal�thing.��I�remember
> nearly 25 years ago working on a microprocessor development system that had
> a line based editor (worse than the old IBM edlin).

��You've�brought�back�some�memories�for�me.
I used a character editor on an RCA COSMAC system back
in the early 1980s. I can't remember much about it now,
but I do remember counting characters on the line:
��vi�seems�positively�intuitive�compared�to�it.�:)

Ian

--
Ian Stirling, G4ICV, AB2GR.
Email address is not valid:
> Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
>
> > There will never be agreement on the best.
> >
> > So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:
> >

> Emacs - no contest.
>
> Ian
> --
> Ian Bell

Of course, that (Emacs) also is often nominated as the *best*.

Personally, I loved TECO.

Rufus

0
nospam21 (19047)
1/5/2005 2:23:14 PM
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:28:36 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan" <see@sig.com>
wrote:

[...]
>Intel had a pretty awful one, Credit(?), that should have
>been called 'Bankrupt'.

When I first used CREDIT , about 1983, I thought I'd died and went to
heaven.  Of course, the only other editors I'd used to that time were
line editors (or worse), along the lines of (and including) MS-DOS'
edlin.  CREDIT (which stood for something like CRt EDITor) was a
full-screen editor, and allowed me to move the cursor wherever I
wanted and just start typing (or deleting).  Stone simple and very
intuitive.

I did get angry with it one day, though.  Our MDS systems had two
floppy drives, one containing the ISIS system software (including
CREDIT), and the other free for data.  I spent about two hours
composing a report.  When I was done, I tried to save the file.  I
neglected to specify the data disk, so CREDIT tried to save it to the
system disk.  No room.  CREDIT dies with an error message.  Work gone.
Sigh.

The second version of the report was much better, though.  I guess
Fred Brooks' advice to "write one to throw away" applies to reports as
well.  It was a "lessons learned" memo written just before I left a
completed project to start on a new one.  The new project had EMACS.
I never looked back.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
0
iddw (680)
1/5/2005 2:59:12 PM
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:23:14 -0500, "Rufus V. Smith" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Personally, I loved TECO.

Always fun to run "hunt the wumpus" from it, too!

Jon
0
jkirwan (830)
1/5/2005 5:45:45 PM
mc wrote:

>> Use vi, the one true editor...    ;-)
>
> And Jimmy Carter is still President, right?  :) :)

Nice one ;-)

I'll remember that for the future.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
0
Joop wrote:

> Yes, is it not wonderful that we are so pleased with a function that
> was already present in Wordstar(clones) 20 years ago. It did do
> rectangular block copies (at least the later versions)

Indeed. My favorite text editor (Electric Blackboard) did column-mode
copies on a Z80- CP/M system (and also edited files up to 1MB on a
system with 64KB of RAM at a time when I could find no other editor that
  could handle a file bigger than RAM.)

Bill
0
wmeyer (59)
1/6/2005 12:07:46 AM
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Ian Bell" <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in message
[...]
>> Emacs - no contest.

[...]
>Of course, that (Emacs) also is often nominated as the *best*.
>
>Personally, I loved TECO.

EMACS (despite the jokes about "Eight Meg And Constantly Swapping," or
"Esc Meta Alt Ctrl Shift") was originally written as a set of macros
(Editing MACroS, though EMACS was not the original name -- something
like "Display Editimg Macros") to TECO (Tape Editor and COrrector).

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
0
iddw (680)
1/6/2005 12:54:27 AM
Joop wrote:
> Guy Macon <_see.web.page_@_www.guymacon.com_> wrote:
>

>>MetalHead wrote:
>>

>>>I've been using UltraEdit and have been really happy with it. You can
>>>configure almost everything about it and it works with large files.
>>>supports all the usual syntax coloring and such (if you want it) and has
>>>been extremely reliable. You can try it for free and registering it
>>>costs $30US the last time I looked. WWW.ultraedit.com
>>
>>The column mode saves a huge amount of time when adjusting indenting.
>>Highly recommended.
>

> Yes, is it not wonderful that we are so pleased with a function that
> was already present in Wordstar(clones) 20 years ago. It did do
> rectangular block copies (at least the later versions)

I used Wordstar (in Text Mode) as a programming editor. It was an
enormous improvement over ed or whatever the CPM editor was called.

Even the text editor that came with Turbo Pascal under CPM was an
improvement over the stock CPM editor!

Bob
Rufus V. Smith wrote:

>Ian Bell wrote...
>
>> Emacs - no contest.
>
>Of course, that (Emacs) also is often nominated as the *best*.

Emacs is like DNA; you can do amazing things with it,
but it takes a long time to figure out how.

(This is the first time I have ever written something, looked
at it, and decided to put it in my own quote file...)

0
Guy
1/6/2005 7:02:18 AM
CREDIT, at the time was great.  It is just that it was primitive
compared to later editing programs.  One big problem was that we had
two machines, one old one with CREDIT and  a newer one with ALTER.
IIRC  ctrl-D on ALTER was delete word (or line, or something else
useful - it was 20 years ago ;-) ) on CREDIT ctrl-D aborted the
session, followed by loud swearing.

Ian

0
ian_okey (45)
1/6/2005 9:19:46 AM
Rufus V. Smith wrote:

> "Ian Bell" <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
>>
>> > There will never be agreement on the best.
>> >
>> > So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:
>> >

>> Emacs - no contest.
>>
>> Ian
>> --
>> Ian Bell
>
> Of course, that (Emacs) also is often nominated as the *best*.

Only because its users are particularly fanatical.

IAn

--
Ian Bell
0

> Rufus V. Smith wrote:
>

>> "Ian Bell" <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Emacs - no contest.
>>
>> Of course, that (Emacs) also is often nominated as the *best*.
>
> Only because its users are particularly fanatical.

As opposed to the users of other editors who claim the same things?

The best editor is whatever works best for you for what you need to do,
for some that appears to be Emacs, for others it is a wide variety of
other editors.

--
Richard
Richard wrote:

> Ian Bell <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in news:crjvfh$ai1$6
> @slavica.ukpost.com:
>
>> Rufus V. Smith wrote:
>>

>>> "Ian Bell" <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Of course, that (Emacs) also is often nominated as the *best*.
>>
>> Only because its users are particularly fanatical.
>>

> As opposed to the users of other editors who claim the same things?

No, many can be quite fanatical too.  However, IME EMACS users are the
*most* fanatical.

> The best editor is whatever works best for you for what you need to do,
> for some that appears to be Emacs, for others it is a wide variety of
> other editors.

Precisely.

IAn

--
Ian Bell
0

> Richard wrote:
>
>> Ian Bell <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in news:crjvfh$ai1$6
>> @slavica.ukpost.com:

>>> Only because its users are particularly fanatical.
>>>

>> As opposed to the users of other editors who claim the same things?
>
> No, many can be quite fanatical too.  However, IME EMACS users are the
> *most* fanatical.

I find vi users to be equally as fanatical.  Generally those are the two
groups that I find to be most fanatical about the subject.

--
Richard
Richard wrote:

> Ian Bell <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in news:crkbj5$bvi$1
> @slavica.ukpost.com:
>
>> Richard wrote:
>>
>>> Ian Bell <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in news:crjvfh$ai1$6
>>> @slavica.ukpost.com:

>>> As opposed to the users of other editors who claim the same things?
>>
>> No, many can be quite fanatical too.  However, IME EMACS users are the
>> *most* fanatical.
>
> I find vi users to be equally as fanatical.  Generally those are the two
> groups that I find to be most fanatical about the subject.

I would agree that vi users are at least a very close second when it comes
to fanaticism.

ian
--
Ian Bell
0
"Richard" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote

> The best editor is whatever works best for you ...

I don't know that I could ever find what works 'best' for
me.  I'd spend all my time playing around with text editors.

My working definition of "The Best Text Editor" is

 "The Best Text Editor is the one I use right now.
  I know it is the best because I use it.  If it
  wasn't the best then I wouldn't use it, would I?
  This editor is so good I have used it all my life,
  I have never found a need to even look at anything
  else."

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
see68 (146)
1/7/2005 12:47:24 AM
"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> writes:
> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days?

GNU Emacs.

> I'd like something more modern with Brief emulation capabilities
> (pay or free - doesn't matter).

Free, included with GNU Emacs.  It's called "crisp mode".  I've
never used it so I can't comment on how good the emulation is.

I'd personally recommend learning native Emacs though.  It's not
that difficult, and there's a built-in tutorial.
On 06 Jan 2005 17:41:09 -0800, Eric Smith
<eric-no-spam-for-me@brouhaha.com> wrote:

>"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> writes:
>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days?
>
>GNU Emacs.

XEMACS.  (Just to throw a little fuel on the fire ;-).

Is anyone using JED? (http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/)  I'd been trying it
out at a PPOE, and was quite impressed, but I changed jobs shortly
thereafter.

Sort of like EMACS, but not quite so enormous and it uses something
called s-lang instead of something called elisp.  It fits on a single
floppy.

S-lang resembles C more than it does lisp.  The same author wrote the
slrn news reader.

Regards,
   -=Dave

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
0
iddw (680)
1/7/2005 3:51:39 PM
"Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message

> Want to go back even farther?
>
> How about a Friden Flexwriter and paper
> tape.  *No* editor.  Make a mistake,
> back up the tape and press rubout.

rubout!

There's a word I'd forgotten!

now those memory cells have just been refreshed.........

Thanks, Jim.

Rufus

0
nospam21 (19047)
1/7/2005 6:31:37 PM
iddw@hotmail.com (Dave Hansen) wrote:

>On 06 Jan 2005 17:41:09 -0800, Eric Smith
><eric-no-spam-for-me@brouhaha.com> wrote:
>
>>"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> writes:
>>> What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days?
>>
>>GNU Emacs.
>
>XEMACS.  (Just to throw a little fuel on the fire ;-).

Epsilon since the mid-80s.  (Just to throw more fuel on the fire)

An EMACS-style for Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2 and DOS.

--
Dan Henry
0

Another group of people who've never used BRIEF and don't know wha
they're missing. And now this reply is on page 10 and no-one'll read it.

Mentioning that you use such-and-such an editor (that isn't Brief) is
complete waste of time. Do people somehow think that Brief users are no
aware that other editors exist?

Mentioning that your editor has a Brief emulation mode in some option
list somewhere is more useful but most of these emulations are rubbish an
intended more to lure Brief-users into buying the product that to provide
Brief-like editing experience. Unless you've a) used Brief a lot and b
think the emulation is faithful, then best not to mention it.

vi/emacs users - a Brief user is as unlikely to embrace either of you
editors as you are to embrace the other.

And finally, my useless contribution:
I love Brief and I tried to find a free Brief-emulating editor 2 year
ago.  I found JED and KIT. JED was poor and KIT was OK, but I've jus
spent an hour trying to find a link to it and I can't, so maybe it doesn'
exist any more.

www.EmbeddedRelated.com
"dbmole" <martin.welbank@ultracontrols.aero> wrote:

....a reply to a six month old posting,

>Another group of people who've never used BRIEF and don't know what
>they're missing. And now this reply is on page 10 and no-one'll read it.

"page 10"?

[...]

>Mentioning that your editor has a Brief emulation mode in some options
>list somewhere is more useful but most of these emulations are rubbish and

which did you test - CRiSP, Visual SlickEdit, Epsilon (Lugaro),
Codewright?

>And finally, my useless contribution:
>I love Brief and I tried to find a free Brief-emulating editor 2 years

"free" will be difficult. But who cares to spend some money for a tool
used every day over many years?

>ago.  I found JED and KIT. JED was poor and KIT was OK, but I've just
>spent an hour trying to find a link to it and I can't, so maybe it doesn't
>exist any more.

Why don't you tell where you found it?

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
0
obetz (243)
7/21/2005 8:52:41 PM
On 2005-07-21, Oliver Betz <OBetz@despammed.com> wrote:
> "dbmole" <martin.welbank@ultracontrols.aero> wrote:
>
> ...a reply to a six month old posting,
>
>>Another group of people who've never used BRIEF and don't know what
>>they're missing. And now this reply is on page 10 and no-one'll read it.
>
> "page 10"?

Probably somebody who thinks the 'web is the entire Internet,
and GoogleGroups _is_ Usenet.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What I want to find
                                  at               out is -- do parrots know
> Sigh...
>
> Another group of people who've never used BRIEF and don't know what
> they're missing. And now this reply is on page 10 and no-one'll read it.

<snip>

> This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on
> www.EmbeddedRelated.com

I do believe these guys (embeddedrelated) are competing with google in an
attempt to destroy the medium :(

Robert
0
radsett (121)
7/22/2005 3:40:00 AM
"Oliver Betz" <OBetz@despammed.com> a �crit dans le message de
> "dbmole" <martin.welbank@ultracontrols.aero> wrote:

> >And finally, my useless contribution:
> >I love Brief and I tried to find a free Brief-emulating editor 2 years
>
> "free" will be difficult. But who cares to spend some money for a tool
> used every day over many years?

don't really know Brief (already heard about it) but I can suggest a VERY
good AND free editor for Windows users :
http://www.pspad.com/

0
tmp5994 (24)
7/22/2005 6:15:08 AM
"Fred*" <tmp@mail.com> wrote:

[...]

>don't really know Brief (already heard about it) but I can suggest a VERY
>good AND free editor for Windows users :
>http://www.pspad.com/

There are many more nice free text editors, look at
http://wiki.oliverbetz.de/owiki.php/TextEditors for my small list.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
0
obetz (243)

rgb2gray in embedded matlab editor
I am working on a simulink model which involves some image processing. I want to use the function 'rgb2gray' in embedded matlab editor. An error comes whenever i use this function in embedded matlab editor viz., 'function rgb2gray doesnot exist in embedded matlab editor' Does it mean that I can not use any image processing functions in embedded matlab editor? I also tried using em1.extrinsic to declare the rgb2gray function but still it did not work. Can any one suggest me what I need to do? ...

Embedded XML Editor Component?
Hi, I'm looking for a Java based XML editor that can be integrated in an existing swing application. We need to create XML instances (based on XSD files) out of our swing application ... We know Morphon, Jaxe and XAmple ... but all of them doesn't met our criteria: Morphon isn't free for embedding and Jaxe/XAmple don't provide the in-depth integration as needed by our project. Does anybody have an idea? -- cu o.pfeiffer ICQ# 84320006 eMail oliver.pfeiffer@gmx.net -------------------------------------------- TECHNOLOGIE - ZENTRUM INFORMATIK / UNIVERSITAET BREMEN / GER...

Editor with embedded perl interpreter?
I don't remember the name of this application for Windows but i've make use of that once. Do you know an editor which allows the execution of Perl-script on selected text? The Perl-script are in a submenu of the Tools menu. --- THANX4URTIME! Paolo <lap76@19yahoo.com> wrote: >I don't remember the name of this application for Windows but i've >make use of that once. > >Do you know an editor which allows the execution of Perl-script >on selected text? A namesake of yours just posted exactly the same question in the deprecated NG CLP. Maybe you can ask him ...

Variable resistor with embedded editor
Hi everybody. I'm trying to make a circuit with a variable resistor. My idea is to make the resistor variable with the embedded editor. The circuit is a simple voltage source and the resistor with the value "res" only to test if the embedded works. The embedded has a statement that increases the value of the resistor each step of time. If I have 50 us of increase in time, the resistor increase 10 ohm so in 1 second the current must go down. The problem is that the embedded is increasing the value but maintains constant the value, like if there's no change in the embedde...

Problem with the Embedded Matlab Editor
Hello, First, sorry for my english. I have a problem with the Embedded Matlab Editor. I have to use data from an exterior file. So, I try to use the block "From File". In this block, the matrix must contain time values in row one and I do not know why. So, as I only need data, I put 0 in this row and my data are on the other rows and colums. But, I do not know how I can have an access to these data. I call my file.mat : "wall.mat". I do not know if the entry for my embedded matlab editor needs to have the same name. And the variable of my file.mat calls "coor". (Indeed, I created my file.mat from a file.m) But in different cases, I have these errors: 1) If I try to access to my data by: "y = wall(2,2);" for example, I have an error message: "Index expression out of bounds. Attempted to access element 2. The valid range is 1-1" 2) If I try to access to my data by: "y = coor(2,2); for example, I have an error message: "Undefined function or variable 'coor'." But if I type this in the "command windows" from Matlab, Matlab finds the good result. I also try the block "from workspace" and it does not work either. So, I have really no more ideas to solve my problems. If someone can help me, it will be so nice. Thanks a lot for your reply. ...

Embedded Text Editor has vanished.
The embedded text editor/viewer has disappered from Konqueror. How can I get it back? This is what happened. I wanted to see a .csv file in the text viewer, so I decided to set up a file association in the control centre. So I found x-csv in the list, clicked on the "Embedding" tab, clicked on "Embedded text editor", clicked OK. I then clicked on the .csv file, and it opened in KWrite (I don't remember if I set it up as an alternative, or if it was already there). Right-clicking did not show the embedded viewer as a choice. I went back to the control centre, and the embedded editor had vanished from the dialogs, and now *all* of my text files have to be viewed in a separate editor app. I managed to duplicate the effect by logging on as root and doing the same things. How can I get the embedded viewer back? I expect that there's a config file somewhere, but I don't know where to look. KDE 3.1.4, SuSE 9.0. -- David Cowie david_cowie at lineone dot net Containment Failure + 4179:03 ...

Embedded Text/Java Editor
I am looking for an open source text editor that I can easily embed into my application. Basically, I need a JComponent-based text editor I can add to a JPanel (that is, not a full IDE such as JEdit or Eclipse ;) I am looking for the nice features such as: - color syntax highlighting (based on content type) - line number ruler - optional folding - optional hovering - optional code assist On 18 Jul, 16:49, brian.vanhee...@gmail.com wrote: > I am looking for an open source text editor that I can easily embed > into my application. =A0Basically, I need a JComponent-based text editor >...

[Win32] Embedded HTML editor?
Hi, Does anyone know of a cheap/free truely WYSIWYG (no HTML/Preview thingie) HTML embeddable widget, similar to the RichEdit widget? Googling a while returned either - browsed-based HTML widgets (I'd rather use a dedicated app) - webmaster-oriented tools like Dreamweaver, etc. Thank you :-) JD. "Jane Doe" <jane.doe@acme.com> wrote in message news:qi81001tk2ihi7mjl1h3u364t3h186959p@4ax.com... > Hi, > > Does anyone know of a cheap/free truely WYSIWYG (no > HTML/Preview thingie) HTML embeddable widget, similar to the RichEdit > widget? ...

kdevelop 3.0, missing embedded editor
Hello, I have downloaded, compiled and installed Kdevelop 3.0.0b2 on two machines, a laptop and a desktop computer, both running RedHat 9.0. with the shipped KDE3 and Qt3 For my laptop no problem, but for the desktop I have no embedded editor, although at least qeditor seems to have compiled fine, Did I miss some obvious thing? Cheers, Francois ...

Embedded advanced text editor (for EDITTING, not readonly)
I greatly hope that I'm doing something silly and wrong and overlooking something, because, as is, the current state of the advanced text editor doesn't make a whole lot of sense for embedding. when enabling embedded viewing of text files, it opens them in the embedded viewer.. all nice and pretty, of course. syntax highlighting.. line numbers.. whatever you want. BUT it's read-only. I truely would love to be able to click on a file to edit quickly, and edit it right there, in that window, without having to spawn a new window. any advice would be appreciated. bob jewell ...

stop syntax highlighting in Embedded Advanced Text Editor ?
Is there some way I can disable syntax highlighting in the Embedded Advanced Text Editor (katepart) that can be used by Konqueror to "preview" files? As often as not, it makes an bad guess at what the file contains, and the result can be quite unpleasant and difficult to read. I'm using Konqueror 3.4.2, KDE 3.4.2, Debian Etch (testing). Thanks in advance for any suggestions. -- cgm ...

Embedding Python in an embedded system
Howdy. I'm looking at embedding python in a little embedded system. The device (a linksys wrt54g router, popular hack object since it runs linux), has limited resources. Just 4MB flash and 16MB memory. I'm interested in Python because I need to be more agile with developing an application for this platform. Currently I am using C++ but it takes just too much time to develop/debug code. Does anyone have experience doing something like this? S. Stefan Arentz wrote: > Howdy. > > I'm looking at embedding python in a little embedded system. The device > (a linksys wr...

$EDITOR sucks, $EDITOR rules!
page: http://www.tarunz.org/~vassilii/srom/ after five years the truth is still there! hehe ;-) Sven -- Sven Guckes HOLY WARS of Usenet sig-holy-wars @guckes.net HOLY EDITOR: emacs|vi TEXT: text/plain|base64|quoted-printable HOLY PAGER: less|more SHELL: sh|bash|ksh|tcsh|zsh tabstop=2|4|8 HOLY textwidth=65|72|80 TABOO: indent_string=">" sigdashes=ON et! Gven Suckes, the world's most obnoxious and useful sour-Kraut, wrote: > page: http://www.tarunz.org/~vassilii/srom/ > after five years the truth is still there! > hehe ;-) > > Sven > Hear! Hear! Let the truth be spread over hill and dale! Is there still an editor buried somewhere in emacs? I thought they gave up on that dog and made it a symlink to vi. :-|| AC ...

Problems with embedded images associated with Microsoft Photo Editor 3
Hello! I have a database with alot of embedded images. The reason for having the images embedded is security. My problem is that it works fine on my computer, but not on my clients computer. He hasn't got Microsoft Photo Editor installed and because of that he cant view the images when doubleclicking on them in the table. He can still see the pictures in the formview but when he doubelclicks the images a error message shows up. I want to create a database which all my clients can use, both the clients with Microsoft Photo Editor and those whitout. I would of course also prefer if they didn't have to install another plugin / application. All the embedded images are jpeg, but in the table they show up as MSPhotoEd.3 In my humble opinion, the best way would be if access would show the pictures with the program associated with the filetype. If jpg for example was asociated with Photoshop on my clients computer, the image would be opended in Photoshop. From what I have read, I suppose the progam that views the image must be an OLE server and Im don't know if Photoshop can act as one. What is the best thing to do? All help is highly appreciated! Thanks! Marcus "Zeroeffect" wrote > I have a database with alot of embedded > images. The reason for having the images > embedded is security. If you use OLE Objects and Bound OLE Frames, you put yourself at the mercy of whatever COM-enabled software the user has registered on his/her machine for...

SSW EditableListView
Has anyone else using the "SSW EditableListView" package tried migrating views from D5 to D6? I load the new version of the "SSW EditableListView" package into D6, before loading my package. When I load my package I get this error: "STBFiler - #[33 83 84 66 32] contains a version 9 instance of EmbeddedTextEdit and is unable to convert it.". The problem seems to be that Dolphin wraps views in a ViewProxy and the migration code expects this to be the case. The EditableListView looks like it saves an embedded editor view without the proxy, causing...

Editor
An update I did replaced E with AE. I'd taken a quick look at AE before, but I don't know the answer to this question. Did the most recent version of AE somehow get compiled without the Find and Change feature? Jim L -- Frivolous lawsuits: Term used by politicians to make slow thinkers believe the opposing policital party is out to prevent legitimate suits. On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:21:44 UTC, inkleput@-----isp.com wrote: > An update I did replaced E with AE. I'd taken a quick look at AE > before, but I don't know the answer to this question. > > Did the most recent version of AE somehow get compiled without the Find > and Change feature? > > Jim L > > -- > Frivolous lawsuits: Term used by politicians to make slow thinkers > believe the opposing policital party is out to prevent legitimate > suits. Alt-R Andy -- Bonjour, On Sun, 1 May 2005 00:16:49 UTC, "Andy" wrote: > Alt-R Err!... 'Ctrl'+'F' for "Find", 'Ctrl'+'R' for "Replace" here with AE v1.9.6 "prerelease". Bye. -- Guillaume Gay [ � Ich bin ein Merliner �] =(mail)==> g u i l l a u m e . g a y @ b i g f o o t . c o m =(IRC)=> "GG" on #eCSfr, #eCS, ... (irc://irc.ecomstation.com/) ====> OS/2 enabled ==> SPAM blocker: NoLeSPAM! "Guillaume Gay" <g...

Editor
Hi there I have C5 ... C55 And C6 And the Editor is really bad. I just want to know if it's only happend to me or if it's a global situation. I mean, sometimes Im writing a code and I need to go to another application like the block notes or answer a message in the MSN or get some embeds point in another version of clarion in other APP, and I lost the FOCUS on the Editor and I Just see the tree source. And Sometimes I just can back the source I just write. Sometimes Clarion Crash and I lost all the change I just made. The question is: Is there another Editor to use ? How can I fix this BUG. I believe that the Editor need some REALLY good things. --- By Example the "populate column" have to be at the top of the BAR and NOT floating when you are editing a source. Just like a DropDown. And there must be 2 or 3 for different things like Modular Variables, Local Variables, Tables, Columns & index, and another for global variables and procedures. --- It has to have some AUTO complet word for reserved words. --- And some you can need and tell us What are you opinions about that ??? Thank for your time and forgive about my english Run, do not walk, to the microsoft web site and get the Powertoys. They have one gem - the alt-tab replacement that makes regaining focus in the correct window of Clarion's IDE tolerable! HTH, johnnymack Edgar, you can usually het back to the editor by pressing Alt-F6 when this happens. HTH Dave Beggs "Edgar...

ARCH
Hello, I'm trying to estimate a VAR model of two equations. - the portmanteau test shows that my residuals are cross correlated - one of my equation exihibit an ARCH pattern I cannot use the AUTOREG procedure as I have a system of equations to estimate. I cannot use the VARMAX procedure because it is not possible to impose an ARCH structure for one equation only. I guess I should opt for the proc MODEL. I think I can program it. The problem here is how to check that my model is the right one ? Do you know how to generated the diagnotic checks given by the Pro c VARMAX with the proc Mo...

Editor
Hello, Who is the best program editor for develop progress programs ? I have the editor MED. Have somebody experience with this editor ? Thanks Steffen ...

Editor
I'd like to display the contents of a file to users giving them the opportunity to search or scroll, but not allow them to change or save. I can't use the "type" command because the files are too large. Any suggestions? This is what I'm currently doing, but need another method. $myfile = $sortedarray[$input]; $mypath = '\\\\tlrntfs1\\IT_Common\\output\\'; $myprogram = '"C:\\Windows\\notepad.exe"'; $mycommand = $myprogram.' "'.$mypath.$myfile ; system($mycommand); tyjb <tyjbxx@yahoo.com> wrote in message-id: <11810487...

Editor
Hi! I am a new user of this group. I have to provide a Barcode Editor for a pharmaceutical company. This Editor have the features of moving label components like Product Name to any position of Barcode By draging with mouse, at any position the user wants to. All things have to be generated at run time. I have developed one but facing problems in putting these components on an object like GroupBox. The controls like Sle is going behind the GroupBox at run time. Could any one of u provide me with a code of such an sample editor, which could lead my way to develop the editor. Looking for a positive response. Regards. Dharmu, > I am a new user of this group. I have to provide a Barcode Editor for > a pharmaceutical company. This Editor have the features of moving > label components > like Product Name to any position of Barcode By draging with mouse, > at any position the user wants to. All things have to be generated at > run time. I have developed one but facing problems in putting these > components on an object like GroupBox. The controls like Sle is going > behind the GroupBox at run time. Could any one of u provide me with a > code of such an sample editor, which could lead my way to develop the > editor. I'd recommend you to take a look at the "Clip Siblings" property in the window editor. HTH, Marcos Nogueira S. Paulo - Brazil ...

Editor
Hi, wich editor do you prefer for tcl/tk under windows xp, I'm using the crimson editor - is there a better one? Hans Hans Herrmann wrote: > Hi, > wich editor do you prefer for tcl/tk under windows xp, I'm using the > crimson editor - is there a better one? > Hans elvis http://kammerchor.the-little-red-haired-girl.org/elvisdoc/index.html Heinz Hans Herrmann wrote: > "Heinz-J�rgen Oertel" <hj.oertel@surfeu.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag > news:d2us63$vt5$2@ulysses.news.tiscali.de... > >>Hans Herrmann wrote: >> >> >>>Hi, >>>wich editor do you prefer for tcl/tk under windows xp, I'm using the >>>crimson editor - is there a better one? >>>Hans >> >>elvis >>http://kammerchor.the-little-red-haired-girl.org/elvisdoc/index.html >> >> Heinz >> > > Hi Heinz, > thanks for your answer. But it seems winelvis is buggy ... > After starting there is no reaction, if I try to end it and I cannot delete > any character. > Hans > > you might also check out http://wiki.tcl.tk/TclEditors for some more ideas (emacs is my tool of choice) Bruce "Heinz-J�rgen Oertel" <hj.oertel@surfeu.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d2us63$vt5$2@ulysses.news.tiscali.de... > Hans Herrmann wrote: > > > Hi, > > wich editor do you prefer for tcl/tk under windows xp, I'm using the > > crimson editor - is ...

US-TX-Austin: Copy Editor, Strong Proof Editor, Freelance copy editor, Very deta (45311714407)
US-TX-Austin: Copy Editor, Strong Proof Editor, Freelance copy editor, Very deta (45311714407) ============================================================================================== Position: Copy Editor Reference: SMC01447 Location: Austin TX Duration: Contract to hire Skills: Strong Proof Editor Freelance copy editor Very detailed Scope: 1. Edit and post sitreps for Website(s), proofread and post daily analytical pieces � striving always for flawless spelling and grammar. Consistently apply Company and AP style ...

US-TX-Austin: Copy Editor, Strong Proof Editor, Freelance copy editor, Very deta (45307057604)
US-TX-Austin: Copy Editor, Strong Proof Editor, Freelance copy editor, Very deta (45307057604) ============================================================================================== Position: Copy Editor Reference: SMC01447 Location: Austin TX Duration: Contract to hire Skills: Strong Proof Editor Freelance copy editor Very detailed Scope: 1. Edit and post sitreps for Website(s), proofread and post daily analytical pieces � striving always for flawless spelling and grammar. Consistently apply Company and AP style ...

US-TX-Austin: Copy Editor, Strong Proof Editor, Freelance copy editor, Very deta (45312032403)
US-TX-Austin: Copy Editor, Strong Proof Editor, Freelance copy editor, Very deta (45312032403) ============================================================================================== Position: Copy Editor Reference: SMC01447 Location: Austin TX Duration: Contract to hire Skills: Strong Proof Editor Freelance copy editor Very detailed Scope: 1. Edit and post sitreps for Website(s), proofread and post daily analytical pieces � striving always for flawless spelling and grammar. Consistently apply Company and AP style ...

Web resources about - Editor? - comp.arch.embedded

Bluefish (text editor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2.2.3 / June 26, 2012 ; 36 days ago ( 2012-06-26 ) Bluefish was started by Chris Mazuc and Olivier Sessink in 1997 to facilitate web development ...

Players' Tribune Editor Says 'You're Doomed' If You're Constantly Scrambling for Online Ads
When Derek Jeter retired from baseball in fall 2014, he set out to help other athletes do something that he never could: appear human to fans. ...

GOOD Magazine Has a New Editor in Chief
... with three-quarters of those folks under the age of 35 and 63% female. Now comes more big news. On board since the end of February as editor ...

Business Insider is hiring a science editor
... on the latest consumer genetics test to deep dives into the status of space exploration? Business Insider is looking for a talented editor ...

AP PHOTOS: Editor selections from the past week in Asia
In glimpses of daily life from around Asia last week, a Kashmiri man strolled through a field of yellow mustard flowers against the backdrop ...

NYT Called Out By Own Editor For Appearance Of Sabotaging Sanders, Helping Hillary
NYT Called Out By Own Editor For Appearance Of Sabotaging Sanders, Helping Hillary

‘Genius’ Trailer: Colin Firth As Editor Max Perkins And Jude Law As Writer Thomas Wolfe
A movie about the work of a book editor seems on paper as promising as a movie about the drudgery of investigative reporting — until a Spotlight ...

Lady Gaga Nabs Editor of the Year at Fashion Los Angeles Awards
Lady Gaga Nabs Editor of the Year at Fashion Los Angeles Awards

Spring 2016 Shopping Guide: Fashion Times Editors Share Their Picks For The Season
The first official day of spring is on Sunday, which means it's time to update our wardrobes for the new season. To get ready for the warmer ...

Former NY Times Editor Jill Abramson hasn’t been following the Hillary email story
Former NY Times editor Jill Abramson gave an interview to Politico’s Glenn Thrush in which she suggested the Hillary Clinton’s email story did ...