Embedded is the right way?

Hello!
I'm a noob on emb, and I need some help choosing a system for my
application.
I need a board with these interfaces: USB, VGA, Ethernet, general LCD
(lcd/led matrix) also with a memory as CompatctFlash (for OS, drivers
and datas).
I have to write a program that can read an imput from a USB device (as a
Barcode reader) and elaborate its with a local database (or LAN
database). The output must be displayed by VGA monitor or by LCD/led matrix.
Now i must choose my board, which OS and a programming language. I start
it with Java, but i don't know if it is a good choice.
Can you help me, considering my low knowledge of board, and device
programming (a best choice can be a PC-similiar board)?

Thank you!

PS: can you tell me also a good seller of your suggested board?
0
peto (2)
5/10/2007 9:07:11 AM
comp.arch.embedded 20047 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Petomarmitta" <peto@marmitta.it> wrote in message
> Hello!
> I'm a noob on emb, and I need some help choosing a system for my
> application.
> I need a board with these interfaces: USB, VGA, Ethernet, general LCD
> (lcd/led matrix) also with a memory as CompatctFlash (for OS, drivers
> and datas).
> I have to write a program that can read an imput from a USB device (as a
> Barcode reader) and elaborate its with a local database (or LAN
> database). The output must be displayed by VGA monitor or by LCD/led
matrix.
> Now i must choose my board, which OS and a programming language. I start
> it with Java, but i don't know if it is a good choice.
> Can you help me, considering my low knowledge of board, and device
> programming (a best choice can be a PC-similiar board)?
>

> Thank you!
>
> PS: can you tell me also a good seller of your suggested board?

A starting guide
http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2614444132.html

On 2007-05-10, Petomarmitta <peto@marmitta.it> wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm a noob on emb, and I need some help choosing a system for my
> application.
> I need a board with these interfaces: USB, VGA, Ethernet, general LCD
> (lcd/led matrix) also with a memory as CompatctFlash (for OS, drivers
> and datas).

You're pretty much looking at a full computer there.  I'd question
whether it's worth designing a custom board.  CompactFlash is easy
enough to integrate into a regular PC board because of its ATA
compatibility.  ITX boards may be appropriate if space or power
are constraints.  The VIA EPIA MII series comes to mind as particularly
suited as it has a CF adapter built in.

> I have to write a program that can read an imput from a USB device (as a
> Barcode reader) and elaborate its with a local database (or LAN
> database). The output must be displayed by VGA monitor or by LCD/led matrix.
> Now i must choose my board, which OS and a programming language. I start
> it with Java, but i don't know if it is a good choice.

I'm no Java expert, but I'll think you find gaining the low-level
control of the hardware often needed difficult.  C (or C++ if you
insist on OO) are usually better choices, although it depends on
what you are doing.

> PS: can you tell me also a good seller of your suggested board?

Yes, but I'm not going to since ITX are pretty widely available.
A few Google searches should find you an appropriate supplier
according to your preference of price/locality/whatever.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org
Petomarmitta wrote:
> I need a board with these interfaces: USB, VGA, Ethernet, general LCD
> (lcd/led matrix) also with a memory as CompatctFlash (for OS, drivers
> and datas).
> PS: can you tell me also a good seller of your suggested board?

http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjr/index.html
0
bsmith (34)
5/10/2007 5:06:23 PM
On May 10, 7:07 pm, Petomarmitta <p...@marmitta.it> wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm a noob on emb, and I need some help choosing a system for my
> application.
> I need a board with these interfaces: USB, VGA, Ethernet, general LCD
> (lcd/led matrix) also with a memory as CompatctFlash (for OS, drivers
> and datas).
> I have to write a program that can read an imput from a USB device (as a
> Barcode reader) and elaborate its with a local database (or LAN
> database). The output must be displayed by VGA monitor or by LCD/led matrix.
> Now i must choose my board, which OS and a programming language. I start
> it with Java, but i don't know if it is a good choice.
> Can you help me, considering my low knowledge of board, and device
> programming (a best choice can be a PC-similiar board)?
>
> Thank you!
>
> PS: can you tell me also a good seller of your suggested board?

Any board with ARM 9 core just might provide all these things;-)

ali

0
abdulrazaq (254)
5/10/2007 5:20:27 PM
On May 10, 1:20 pm, Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 10, 7:07 pm, Petomarmitta <p...@marmitta.it> wrote:
>

> > Hello!
> > I'm a noob on emb, and I need some help choosing a system for my
> > application.
> > I need a board with these interfaces: USB, VGA, Ethernet, general LCD
> > (lcd/led matrix) also with a memory as CompatctFlash (for OS, drivers
> > and datas).
> > I have to write a program that can read an imput from a USB device (as a
> > Barcode reader) and elaborate its with a local database (or LAN
> > database). The output must be displayed by VGA monitor or by LCD/led matrix.
> > Now i must choose my board, which OS and a programming language. I start
> > it with Java, but i don't know if it is a good choice.
> > Can you help me, considering my low knowledge of board, and device
> > programming (a best choice can be a PC-similiar board)?
>
> > Thank you!
>
> > PS: can you tell me also a good seller of your suggested board?
>
> Any board with ARM 9 core just might provide all these things;-)
>
> ali- Hide quoted text -

Yep, you might even be able to purchase a premade core and then you
would have very little programming to do. As for language, id go with C
++ just because you are trying to interface with USB and I know there
are already USB C++ libraries out there.

0
metalimi (16)
5/10/2007 5:26:38 PM
On May 10, 8:26 pm, Matt <metal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 10, 1:20 pm, Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 10, 7:07 pm, Petomarmitta <p...@marmitta.it> wrote:
>
> > > Hello!
> > > I'm a noob on emb, and I need some help choosing a system for my
> > > application.
> > > I need a board with these interfaces: USB, VGA, Ethernet, general LCD
> > > (lcd/led matrix) also with a memory as CompatctFlash (for OS, drivers
> > > and datas).
> > > I have to write a program that can read an imput from a USB device (as a
> > > Barcode reader) and elaborate its with a local database (or LAN
> > > database). The output must be displayed by VGA monitor or by LCD/led matrix.
> > > Now i must choose my board, which OS and a programming language. I start
> > > it with Java, but i don't know if it is a good choice.
> > > Can you help me, considering my low knowledge of board, and device
> > > programming (a best choice can be a PC-similiar board)?
>
> > > Thank you!
>
> > > PS: can you tell me also a good seller of your suggested board?
>
> > Any board with ARM 9 core just might provide all these things;-)
>
> > ali- Hide quoted text -

> Yep, you might even be able to purchase a premade core and then you
> would have very little programming to do. As for language, id go with C
> ++ just because you are trying to interface with USB and I know there
> are already USB C++ libraries out there.

I used ARCOM board. I think it's products will meet your requirements.
I suggest Arcom Viper Embedded Linux Development board. If you decide
to use this board, I can help you when you face a problem.

Thanks to everybody. I will check your links and your suggestions. We
will meet again for further questions ;-)

Thanks again.

Bye
0
peto (2)
5/10/2007 10:09:20 PM
Petomarmitta wrote:

.... snip ...

> Now i must choose my board, which OS and a programming language.
> I start it with Java, but i don't know if it is a good choice.
> Can you help me, considering my low knowledge of board, and
> device programming (a best choice can be a PC-similiar board)?

If you are a good program, and knowledgeable about C, use C.
Otherwise I suggest Ada, which will catch many of your errors.

 <http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net

cbfalconer (19194)
5/10/2007 10:22:54 PM

> Hello!
> I'm a noob on emb, and I need some help choosing a system for my
> application.
> I need a board with these interfaces: USB, VGA, Ethernet, general LCD
> (lcd/led matrix) also with a memory as CompatctFlash (for OS, drivers and
> datas).
> I have to write a program that can read an imput from a USB device (as a
> Barcode reader) and elaborate its with a local database (or LAN database).
> The output must be displayed by VGA monitor or by LCD/led matrix.
> Now i must choose my board, which OS and a programming language. I start
> it with Java, but i don't know if it is a good choice.
> Can you help me, considering my low knowledge of board, and device
> programming (a best choice can be a PC-similiar board)?

Its called a PC.

0
voids (53)