MAC to MAC connectivity

Hi,

As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting
a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip.  The
difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have
two closely coupled and redundant PHY .

Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point,
bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some
PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link?

Kind regards,

Stephen
0
stephenry (25)
2/12/2008 4:01:32 PM
comp.arch.embedded 20047 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting
> a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip.  The
> difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have
> two closely coupled and redundant PHY .
>
> Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point,
> bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some
> PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link?

I suppose it works.

Cross connect RXD[] to TXD[]. Cross connect RX_DV to TX_EN, and provide
a 125 MHz clock (could be supplied from another FPGA pin)
0
Arlet
2/12/2008 6:31:39 PM
On Feb 12, 9:01=A0pm, Steve <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting
> a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. =A0The
> difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have
> two closely coupled and redundant PHY .
>
> Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point,
> bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some
> PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link?

Generally,
It should be possible if you have your MAC with some basic PHY within
it.
Some PHYs are not replacable and theire requirement is a must.
I think, PHYs cannot be bypassed so easily.

Karthik Balaguru

Web resources about - MAC to MAC connectivity - comp.arch.embedded

TE Connectivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TE Connectivity Ltd. designs and manufactures connectivity and sensor solutions for a variety of industries including automotive, industrial ...

Facebook’s Connectivity Lab: Drones, Planes, Satellites, Lasers To Further Internet.org Mission Of Bringing ...
Look, up in the sky. It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a drone from Facebook? The social network Thursday announced the formation of the Connectivity ...

The power of connectivity
By Keven McCammon, site data center manager, Facebook Forest City Data Center Today we announced that we’re partnering with the Town of Forest ...

Mark Zuckerberg on Internet.org: Connectivity key to socio-economic balance
Mark Zuckerberg is out to change the world through building an infrastructure that will open connectivity to everyone. In a wide-ranging interview ...

Parks and Recreation: You could have network connectivity problems - YouTube
http://ricochetvideos.com Andy Dwyer is the goofy, lovable character from Parks and Recreation, and in this scene he diagnoses Leslie's flu by ...

Mid-2012 MacBook Airs offer improved performance and connectivity
Believe it or not, it's been nearly four and a half years since Apple released the original MacBook Air. At the time, it was revolutionary in ...

BMW to launch new connectivity service
Soon your car will notify the dealer when it’s due for a service. BMW Australia will introduce a new suite of in-car connectivity apps in its ...

The key to a successful hybrid cloud infrastructure? Flexible connectivity
It's becoming increasingly clear that - for most organisations - taking a 'hybrid' approach to cloud adoption makes sound business sense.

Facebook Connectivity Lab promotes access to Internet in remote areas - CTV News
Facebook is giving more details about its effort to connect remote parts of the world to the Internet - and it involves drones, lasers and satellites. ...