http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
0
Randy
5/18/2014 11:44:19 PM
comp.arch.embedded 20047 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Sun, 18 May 2014 19:44:19 -0400, Randy Yates
<yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote:

>What's the difference?

One is just a MAC, and needs a separate PHY, the other does both?

Think of the MAC has a higher level, dealing with frames, and the PHY
as dealing with the , *ahem*, physical layer - encoding, signaling,
etc.  In a 10mb Ethernet implementation you might use the same MAC for
10base-5, 10base-2, 10base-T or 10base-F, but (obviously) would need a
different physical layer (PHY) for each version.  The interface
between the MAC and PHY is not standardized, but there are some
de-facto/common interfaces.

These days many devices support only a single type of connection, and
there's little or no advantage to a separate PHY, and the integrated
device makes your parts count go down.
0
Robert
5/19/2014 4:17:36 AM
Randy Yates wrote:
> What's the difference?

One is Layer 1, the other is Layer 2.

Having to do integration of a MAC and separate PHY has advantages
but you have to then understand the MMI. Hopefully,
that's already in the BSP that comes with your eval board
and is the same unless your board went off the reservation, in
which case...

Given the choice, all other things being equal, an integrated
MAC+PHY is the lazy man's way.

--
Les Cargill
0

To Mac or not to Mac?

Mac to mac

When is a Mac not a Mac?

InDesign: Mac vs PC (was Quark: Mac vs PC)
As I've pointed out to the employee who uses Quark on a Mac at the nonprofit, it's possible that she doesn't use enough of the features of Quark to test its limitations, whether Mac or PC. What about InDesign? If she's not using the wide range of features, including those which make it superior to Quark, does it matter on which platform she uses it? Is it any more difficult to learn than Quark? -- Bob Ball If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people. If you want to email me, eliminate the negative. ...

Help! iSync mac to mac

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFOR...

My Mac vs your Mac (Was: This year's iMac vs. last year's)
On 08/05/2009 08:53 PM, Ronnie Bateman wrote: > I'm not rich, and a 24-inch monitor seems like an unnecessary luxury. > I can get by without that. I couldn't sympathize more with you since I had a similar problem. It's not that I'm not rich enough to buy those nice Macs... but I'd rather keep things this way. So, finally, I found a Mac that suits my needs and wallet. The problem, if you have space concerns, is that it looks more like a Mac Pro than a iMac. But check the specs compared to an iMac: Triple Core 2.8 GHz CPU | 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Gigabyte ...

Mac vs. PC III: Mac Slaughtered Again
<http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii.htm> In article <irmdg4$akh$1@news.albasani.net>, "Nobody" <nobody@all.com> wrote: > <http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii.htm> 2002, Edwin? Really? -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's A...

Speed: Intel Mac vs PPC Mac
Now that developers have had a chance to run Intel and PPC Macs side by side, are there any clues to suggest that Intel CPU holds more promise for speed? Also, if there is a Safari for MacTel boxes, how does Safari compare to IE on a Wintel box? TIA fred wrote: > Now that developers have had a chance to run Intel and PPC Macs side by > side, are there any clues to suggest that Intel CPU holds more promise > for speed? We didn't need dev boxes for that, we have eg. barefeats.com doing reasonably well-designed tests. Apple and IBM made some... tradeoffs... wrt the G5; it has r...

"I am the happy owner of a Mac Book Pro, but I can't really justify purchasing a new Mac given the cost of a new Mac vs. a comparable PC."
http://ayende.com/Blog/archive/2010/02/11/suggestions-for-a-new-laptop.aspx Suggestions for a new laptop? Okay, the previous time I asked this question, I decided that buying a big desktop machine would be preferable, but I am currently traveling and I am pained at the speed of my current laptop. Therefore, I am going to need a new one. I am the happy owner of a Mac Book Pro, but I can't really justify purchasing a new Mac given the cost of a new Mac vs. a comparable PC. The Mac tax just doesn't pay for itself at those levels for me. Any recommendations? I want so...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.n...

Web resources about - MAC vs MAC+PHY - comp.arch.embedded

EDN
EDN is a leading source for reliable electronics design ideas, articles, how to articles and teardowns. Read EDN.com for the latest information ...

MCUs, Processors & SoCs
Embedded.com is a leading source for reliable Embedded Systems development articles, tech papers, webinars, courses, products, and tools. Visit ...

Embedded Processors
TI's Embedded Processors include ARM processors, digital signal processors, DaVinci video processors, OMAP processors and microcontrollers for ...

CableLabs Technology Adopted by China MSOs (C-DOCSIS)
CableLabs is a non-profit research and development consortium that is dedicated to creating innovative ideas that significantly impact our cable ...