PIC with wifi module

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of information
from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks

---------------------------------------
Reply abdique63 (1) 10/2/2011 6:09:35 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Oct 2, 11:09=A0am, "que63" <abdique63@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wif=
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I wa=
nt
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and displ=
ay
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

You can rule out PIC18 for TCP/IP WiFi.  You need lot of memories.

> The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
> protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of informati=
on
> from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks

PIC24FJ256 should do, with a USB WiFi adapter call Android.  Anyway,
that's what we are doing.
0
Reply me5463 (1321) 10/2/2011 6:24:31 PM

In article <IcWdnW8-tMJCNRXTnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@giganews.com>, abdique63
@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...

> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

Be sure you're picking an ethernet part.
Not all pic18 support this.
For the microchip TCPIP stack at least 128kb rom and 64kb ram are
required I think.
You'd be best of with a pic32, but it's a totally new architecture.

Then on how to exchange data: you have many options.
There are a number of way to use custom sockets with Microchip TCPIP
stack, but I can't give you any advice as I haven't personally used any.

Claudio
0
Reply erupter (7) 10/3/2011 7:38:05 PM

On 2011-10-03, Claude <erupter@tiscali.it> wrote:
> In article <IcWdnW8-tMJCNRXTnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@giganews.com>, abdique63
> @n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...
>>
>> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
>> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
>> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
>> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
>> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> Be sure you're picking an ethernet part.

Why would he want or need an Ethernet part to interface to a MRF24WB0MA?

--
John W. Temples, III
0

On Oct 5, 9:12=A0am, John Temples <use...@xargs-spam.com> wrote:
> On 2011-10-03, Claude <erup...@tiscali.it> wrote:
>
> > In article <IcWdnW8-tMJCNRXTnZ2dnUVZ_g2dn...@giganews.com>, abdique63
> > @n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...
>
> >> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (=
wifi
> >> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I=
 want
> >> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and di=
splay
> >> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powe=
red
> >> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> > Be sure you're picking an ethernet part.
>
> Why would he want or need an Ethernet part to interface to a MRF24WB0MA?

Why would he interface it at all. Yet another undocumented wifi
part. "Works with the free tcp stack", great.
If I need something which "works with", I'd go for a readily available
TV-set, phone, notebook, whatever.
If I design a part in I expect it to be documented so I can at least
talk to it if not reprogram it.
But this is the wifi reality today, unfortunately. Someone(s?) was
busy
buying out and killing all documented wifi parts which used to be on
the market at the beginning and nobody in the trade seems to notice
or object that.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/
0
Reply dp (801) 10/5/2011 7:48:12 AM

que63 skrev 2011-10-02 20:09:
> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
> protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of information
> from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks
>

> ---------------------------------------
> Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Have a look at the WiFi stuff at http://www.hd-wireless.se/
There is a module which has a UART interface.

http://www.hd-wireless.se/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130

I think you can get the stuff through Arrow.
If you can skip the PIC, there is ready software for AVR32s.

BR
Ulf Samuelsson
0
Reply ulf_samuelsson (19) 10/5/2011 11:09:16 PM

On 2 =EF=CB=D4, 21:09, "que63" <abdique63@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wif=
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I wa=
nt
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and displ=
ay
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
> protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of informati=
on
> from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks
>
> --------------------------------------- =9A =9A =9A =9A
> Posted throughhttp://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

www.olimex.com/dev check for MOD-WIFI there is demo web server done
with this module and PIC32-MX460LCD but it will work with any of our
PIC board which have UEXT connector, Microchip web stack provide easy
way to make TCP-IP to RS232 bridge

Best regards
Tsvetan
0
Reply tsvetanusunov (4) 10/6/2011 5:45:27 PM
comp.arch.embedded 19707 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Wifi modules
I am trying to add Wifi capability to an embedded box I am trying to design. Every offering that I can find of a hardware wifi module insists on providing a full internal TCP/IP stack, an integral web interface for configuring, maybe two internal arm processors, and every other Bell and Whistle imaginable (and with a price to match) :-( . A huge overkill, in fact. Since my box will already have built-in TCP/IP capability, and everything else up to a 100BASE-T socket, plus full linux inside and plenty to spare cpu capacity, all I really need is something to take whatever drives the 1...

A420 strange module pic...
I got hold of a couple of dumped A420's yesterday along with an A5000. One A420 seems happy (and has an IDE drive and Watford IDE interface in it). The other one seems to have lost vertical sync and gives a rolling picture on my old Acorn screen - but it has a small, strange module inside of it. See: http://www.moosenet.demon.co.uk/temp/A420.jpg The module's plugged into pins 1-4 of PL1 on the right hand side of the main board (I think it's PL1 - the numeral's badly printed!) The thick red wire goes to +5V on the backplane. The yellow wire goes to the frontmost pin of LK2...

search python wifi module
hello, i search a wifi module python on windows, i have already scapy ! thanks @+ On Fri, 2009-10-23, Clint Mourlevat wrote: > hello, > > i search a wifi module python on windows, i have already scapy ! What is a wifi module? Your OS is supposed to hide networking implementation details (Ethernet, PPP, Wi-fi, 3G ...) and provide specific management interfaces when needed. What are you trying to do? /Jorgen -- // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . . \X/ snipabacken.se> O o . ...

looking for low-cost WiFi modules
We are looking a low-cost WiFi modules for our embedded ARM9-based products. The module is better to have everything inside, so we just to connect and use it as a blackbox. Anyway we are open to modify our firmware to provide essential supports for this WiFi module. Could anybody recommend one? Thanks. Johnson --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net --- > We are looking a low-cost WiFi modules for our embedded ARM9-based > products. The module is better to have everything inside, so we just to > connect and use it as a blackbox. Anyway ...

PIC project for lamp/appliance modules?
I want to put a standard PIC into an appliance or lamp module for a custom X-10 interface. I see projects to retrofit the PIC of a RR501 and maybe a CM11A, but not the modules. Are the power supplies of the RR501 and CM11A 5V? The lamp and appliance modules are 15V. Plus the pinout of the original PIC doesn't match any off-the-shelf models that I've seen. Plus I don't care to start from scratch with the X10 PLC decoding if someone else has done this. Has this been done already? Any tips? This is the closest I have come to doing this: http://www.edcheung.com/automa/iwsp.htm ...

PIC MSSP module in I2C mode
Hi all! The Microchip PIC16F87XA has got a MSSP module. Bits SSPM(3 downto 0) in SSPCON register configure the mode of the module. For I2C operation the following options are available: 1111 = I2C slave, 10bit addressing, with START/STOP interrupts 1110 = I2C slave, 7bit addressing, with START/STOP interrupts 1011 = I2C firmware controlled master mode (Slave idle) 1000 = I2C master mode 0111 = I2C slave, 10bit addressing 0110 = I2C slave, 7bit addressing I am troubled, whith the "firmware controlled master mode". What does this mode do? Where can I find some helpful documentat...

Need Ethernet to WiFi/802.11 module
I am looking for a module that will connect to the Ethernet port of an embedded device and enable it to connect to a 802.11 WiFi network (i.e. be seen as a node on that network). I am interested in both embedded as well as product versions. Any suggestions? Thanks ElderUberGeek wrote: > I am looking for a module that will connect to the Ethernet port of an > embedded device and enable it to connect to a 802.11 WiFi network (i.e. > be seen as a node on that network). I am interested in both embedded as > well as product versions. On the commercial side, the words to look for a...

Lousy throughput with DPAC Airborne WiFi module
Some of the guys at my company are seeing lousy throughput performance with the DPAC Airborne WiFi module ( WLNB-AN-DP102). It is hooked into our embedded system with SPI. The rating is for 20MHz SPI frequency, but we can only get it to talk at 1.5MHz. So that is one problem. Even worse, when in use with many TCP or UDP packets, the module seems to buffer data for a long time and then dribble packets out at a 300msec interval rate. The spec says we should be able to sustain 300kbs in one direction and 70kbs in the other... I think we are getting only a very small fraction of this. Any id...

2.6.x module for rtl8180 wifi
Hello, RealTek provides a module driver for their chip for 2.4 kernels. This module consists of a private object-only code dealing with the chip and GPL-d source code interface to the kernel. The whole package does not compile with 2.6 kernels and running 'alien' code under ndiswrapper makes me uneasy, so after an evening of hacking I came up with a patch. Now everything compiles fine and the ko gets built, however it will not load due to two missing symbols and other complains. Seems to me that some direct tweaking of the private object may be necessary, which I don'...

Any Visor Deluxe Experience with Xircom's Springboard WiFi Module ?
I've got a Visor Deluxe collecting dust here, and I'm involved with WiFi networking. I was recently reminded what Xircom sold a Visor Springboard module that did 802.11 wireless. A google shows that it worked OK, better than the Palm WiFi of the same period. I decided to look for one on on Ebay. Including "completed autions", not one of these puppies has been sold in at least 90 days, and that's all the history ebay keeps, I think. That's forever in ebay time. Did Xircom actually ship these in any quantity ? Since springboard has been dead as a design ...

modules, modules, modules
Is it just me or do most Perl modules (Cpan) exist outside of perl standard distribution? The phrase "try this module" casually uttered here. Am I mistaken, so many beta this and beta that listings. If I put out a module on CPAN is it a guarantee of fittness for any user of it? There is so much crap and garbage out there on CPAN it makes my head spin (Telnet being one). I've given up on anything but in the official distribution. Can anyone tell me why I've done that, or am I just imagining things? robic0 <> wrote: > Is it just me or do most Perl modules (Cpan) ex...

Module inside Module. Conflict between inner Module local variable with outer module parameter
This Mathematica 6.0.1 I just found out that I can't declare a local variable inside a Module to be the same name as an input parameter for the outer module. foo[i_] := Module[{}, boo[] := Module[{i = 1}, Print[i]; ]; boo[]; ] It seems an inner Module is being treated on the same level as the outer module as far are variable scope is concerned. When I call foo[5] for example, the local variable 'i' for boo[] was set to 5, when it was supposed to be LOCAL to boo[] ! It looks like local variable...

include module in module
Hi, I have a situation like this: module M .... end class C1 include M ... end class C2 include M ... end Now I want to add methods to C1 and C2 and whatever other class includes M. My first approach was: module S .... end module M include S end But this doesn't work (meaning whatever methods I have in S are undefined for instances of C1, C2). So, how can I do that? Thanks, Ittay -- -- Ittay Dror <ittay.dror@gmail.com> Ittay Dror wrote: > Hi, > > > I have a situation like this: > > module M > > ...

modules including other modules
Hello, It appears that including module A inside another module B can cause problems for classes that have already included A. What seems to happen is that a class can only see the methods from module B if that class include module A before module A includes module B. For example, module A def a puts "a" end end module B def b puts "b" end end class C include B def c puts "c" end end module B include A def b2 puts "b2" end end C.new.c C.new.b C.new.b2 C.new.a produces tolsen@neurofunk:~/svn/limeade$...

Using Module on Module
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////= //// //Logical Unit module UnidadeLogica(a, b, s, f); input [0:3] a,b; input [0:1] s; output [0:3] f; assign f =3D Logica(a,b,s); function[0:3] Logica; input [0:3] a,b; input [0:1] s; case(s) 2'b00 : begin//AND Logica =3D a & b; end 2'b01 : begin//OR Logica =3D a | b; end 2'b10 : begin//XOR Logica =3D a ^ b; end 2'b11 : begin//XNOR Logica =3D ~(a ^ b); end default: begin Logica =3D 4...

A module to write a module
In an attempt to save a few seconds of typing I am trying to generate a module that will provide a template for a new module. Thus by typing the input ModuleTemplate[myName] I will generate the following ClearAll[myName]; myName::usage = "myName..."; myName[] := Module[{}, Print["myName, at stage 1:"]; Print["myName, at stage 2:"]; Print["myName, at stage 3:"]; ] The above should be in an Input cell ready to be edited into the module I need. It even has Print statements ready to tell me what it has managed to do before inevi...

pySpeex Module, pyFFmpeg Module, pyVidCapModule and pyVid_Utilities module
http://www.jjanecek.ca.tf or http://207.34.118.42/~john/index.html contains a new python wrapper for speex, libavcodec part of ffmpeg is wrapped pyVidCapModule a python wrapper of a Direct Show video capture library pyvid_utils a module that allows you to draw directly on a pyqt QImage _________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/features&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca ...

PICs in general, PIC language questions, pic hardware questions
Hi Group, Saw some posts here on the PIC, and it got me thinking. I played around with them back when the 12c508 was the hot ticket. Used the UV eraseable ones, and I swear I nearly killed my wrists opening and closing my eraser, not to mention having 5 or 6 of them so I didn't have to wait for the eraser. Now they are in circuit programmable, which makes them a lot more appealing. I also remember my CCS compiler, which did a servicable job most of the time, but more often than not, I resorted to writing everything in assembler, just to get the speed and control I needed, or to...

Supply Mini-Com Coupler Modules ,Mini-com Coupler Modules,Panduit Mini-com Coupler Module,Panduit Minicom Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Module,Panduit Mini-com Fiber Optic Adapter Modules
Original:China Supply Mini-Com Coupler Modules ,Mini-com Coupler Modules,Panduit Mini-com Coupler Module,Panduit Minicom Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Module,Panduit Mini-com Fiber Optic Adapter Modules Mini-Com TX6 Plus Jack Module TP Series,Mini-Com Coupler Modules ,Mini-com Coupler Modules,Panduit Mini-com Coupler Module,Panduit Minicom Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Module,Panduit Mini-com Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com ST Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com SC Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com FC Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Surface Mount Boxes,Fibe...

[...]

Re: Disconnection module,Connection module,LSA plus disconnection module
Supply disconnection module,Krone module,LSA Plus Disconnection module We are a proffesional manufacturer in China mainly produc disconnection module,Connection module,Disconnection Switch module,LS earth bar,LSA disconnection module,Krone module,LSA Plus Disconnectio module,please see more details at the link: http://www.pans-telecom.com http://cheerwe.en.ecplaza.net http://ebaby88888.googlepages.com [image: http://pans-telecom.com/member/279728_modules.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://pans-telecom.com/member/317995_yapro2.jpg] We are a manufacturer specialized in producing telecommunicatio network acc...

Displayed area module, Graphic annotation module and Graphic layer module
Hi, 1. Displayed area module, Graphic annotation module and Graphic layer module are used in Presentation State. Can I use these modules in regular DICOM Images (with no presentation state)? If not, How can I represent text value on a Image (Curves and regular Overlays are not good for text values)? 2. Which tag is used for "inverse" operation? Thanks, Erez. erez bibi wrote: > Displayed area module, Graphic annotation module and Graphic layer > module are used in Presentation State. > Can I use these modules in regular DICOM Images (with no prese...