PIC with wifi module

I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of information
from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks

---------------------------------------
abdique63 (1)
10/2/2011 6:09:35 PM
comp.arch.embedded 19915 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Oct 2, 11:09=A0am, "que63" <abdique63@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wif=
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I wa=
nt
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and displ=
ay
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

You can rule out PIC18 for TCP/IP WiFi.  You need lot of memories.

> The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
> protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of informati=
on
> from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks

PIC24FJ256 should do, with a USB WiFi adapter call Android.  Anyway,
that's what we are doing.
0
me5463 (1321)
10/2/2011 6:24:31 PM
In article <IcWdnW8-tMJCNRXTnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@giganews.com>, abdique63
@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...

> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

Be sure you're picking an ethernet part.
Not all pic18 support this.
For the microchip TCPIP stack at least 128kb rom and 64kb ram are
required I think.
You'd be best of with a pic32, but it's a totally new architecture.

Then on how to exchange data: you have many options.
There are a number of way to use custom sockets with Microchip TCPIP
stack, but I can't give you any advice as I haven't personally used any.

Claudio
0
erupter (7)
10/3/2011 7:38:05 PM
On 2011-10-03, Claude <erupter@tiscali.it> wrote:
> In article <IcWdnW8-tMJCNRXTnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@giganews.com>, abdique63
> @n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...
>>
>> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
>> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
>> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
>> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
>> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> Be sure you're picking an ethernet part.

Why would he want or need an Ethernet part to interface to a MRF24WB0MA?

--
John W. Temples, III
0
On Oct 5, 9:12=A0am, John Temples <use...@xargs-spam.com> wrote:
> On 2011-10-03, Claude <erup...@tiscali.it> wrote:
>
> > In article <IcWdnW8-tMJCNRXTnZ2dnUVZ_g2dn...@giganews.com>, abdique63
> > @n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...
>
> >> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (=
wifi
> >> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I=
 want
> >> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and di=
splay
> >> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powe=
red
> >> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> > Be sure you're picking an ethernet part.
>
> Why would he want or need an Ethernet part to interface to a MRF24WB0MA?

Why would he interface it at all. Yet another undocumented wifi
part. "Works with the free tcp stack", great.
If I need something which "works with", I'd go for a readily available
TV-set, phone, notebook, whatever.
If I design a part in I expect it to be documented so I can at least
talk to it if not reprogram it.
But this is the wifi reality today, unfortunately. Someone(s?) was
busy
buying out and killing all documented wifi parts which used to be on
the market at the beginning and nobody in the trade seems to notice
or object that.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/
0
dp (801)
10/5/2011 7:48:12 AM
que63 skrev 2011-10-02 20:09:
> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
> protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of information
> from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks
>

> ---------------------------------------
> Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Have a look at the WiFi stuff at http://www.hd-wireless.se/
There is a module which has a UART interface.

http://www.hd-wireless.se/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130

I think you can get the stuff through Arrow.
If you can skip the PIC, there is ready software for AVR32s.

BR
Ulf Samuelsson
On 2 =EF=CB=D4, 21:09, "que63" <abdique63@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wif=
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I wa=
nt
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and displ=
ay
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
> protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of informati=
on
> from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks
>
> --------------------------------------- =9A =9A =9A =9A
> Posted throughhttp://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

www.olimex.com/dev check for MOD-WIFI there is demo web server done
with this module and PIC32-MX460LCD but it will work with any of our
PIC board which have UEXT connector, Microchip web stack provide easy
way to make TCP-IP to RS232 bridge

Best regards
Tsvetan

implementing singleton class at the module level
Hi, I was looking at ways to implement a Singleton class. I saw some methods described on the PythonSingleton wiki (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonSingleton). I implemented the following. <code> module: A.py ---------------------- class Singleton: def __init__(self): #do something singleton_instance = Singleton() Then in any other module (eg B.py): from A import singleton_instance </code> singleton_instance will be created only once and can be reused in other modules. But is this ok? I am trying to figure out what are the disadvantages of using the above me...

Disadvantages of MSP430 relative to AVR and PIC?
At risk of starting a religious war... Why should I *not* prefer the MSP430 to the AVR and PIC? Tell me its weak points. MC wrote: > At risk of starting a religious war... > > Why should I *not* prefer the MSP430 to the AVR and PIC? > > Tell me its weak points. > > It's easier if you tell us what you need. Just to start the religious war rolling, if you want a gcc toolchain for the device you are best with the AVR (Atmel supports gcc directly, and the toolchain is regularly updated). The msp430 port is based on an old version of gcc - it works well enoug...

Wifi and controller
Hi all, Does someone already have done some wifi communication (11/54) with his/her robot in that understanding that the robot was not driven by a laptop (Win/Linux) but by a controller (atmel/motorola/...) If so, can you point me out in a direction? Thnx a lot. J. I have not done it yet, but I have a plan for my new robot. I plan to use an ITX mobo with a 802.11 PCI card w/ external antenna. The ITX mobo can be powered with 12 VDC using a DC-to-DC converter. My ITX board will talk to my main PIC controller with RS232. BRW On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:22:27 +0200, "Jo...

ip cam wifi
Full compatible? (802.11g and WPA key, motorized whith movement detection and night mode) All devices found in e-bay, work only whith windows... Thank! -- +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Al termine delle elezioni,la madre superiora fa la conta dei voti: | |DC, DC, DC,... PPP. Chiama subito suor Maddalena per le spiegazioni... | |Si era rotta la punta della matita, ed ho scritto: PORCA PUTTANA LA PUNTA! | +-----#8---------------------Campagna contro le pubblicita` idiote.---------+ ...

WIFI tools on OpenBSD
Hello, Are there any WIFI/WLAN tools on OpenBSD to monitor for example link quality and such ? For example there is network stumbler on windows which is quite usefull or wavemon on Linux but I didn't find anything for OpenBSD. Many thanks Regards "Syn NOSPAM" <syn_NOSPAM_uw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4097B911.7080705@hotmail.com... > Hello, > > Are there any WIFI/WLAN tools on OpenBSD to monitor for example link > quality and such ? For example there is network stumbler on windows > which is quite usefull or wavemon on Linux b...

run-time error 29068 by deleting modules
I'm trying to delete all class modules whose name begin with "struct". If I use the following subroutine, it deletes only one module and spits the run-time error 29068: "cannot complete this operation. You must stop the code and try again" Where is the error here? --------------------- Sub deleteModules() Dim i As Integer For i = CurrentProject.AllModules.Count - 1 To 0 Step -1 If Left(CurrentProject.AllModules(i).Name, 6) = "struct" Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acModule, CurrentProject.AllModules(i).Name End If Next i End Sub --------...

use of subprocess module inside generator
I'm using Python 3.4.3 on Windows 7 (with latest patches) to develop a sqlcmd module for accessing SQL Server (via Microsoft's sqlcmd.exe). My goal is to develop a 100% Python 3 module that's easy to use, flexible, and by design shifts the majority of future SQL Server Python database access maintenance to Microsoft. So far, I've successfully and quickly converted a few of my Python pyodbc applications/tools to use this new module. However, I recently ran into an apparent Python issue which cost me a few hours to diagnose and work around. I'm hoping th...

passing multiple params to modules via dhcpd.conf
Hi, I posted this question to the LTSP mailing list but there wasn't a clear solution. I built a small thin client network using the LTSP 4.1 package. Most of the machines work fine with the exception of some old Compaq Deskro 4000s that use the TI ThunderLan network adapter (tlan.o). The tlan NICs tend to autoneg into half-duplex mode. The terminal server and all of the other machines attached to the net switch are full-duplex. A thin client that comes up in half-duplex is unusable because the interface is too slow. I know that by running 'modprobe tlan duplex=2 speed=10' I...

new CPAN modules on Thu Oct 26 2006
The following modules have recently been added to or updated in the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN). You can install them using the instructions in the 'perlmodinstall' page included with your Perl distribution. Album-1.05 http://search.cpan.org/~jv/Album-1.05/ Create and maintain browser based photo albums ---- Archive-Zip-1.18 http://search.cpan.org/~adamk/Archive-Zip-1.18/ Provide an interface to ZIP archive files. ---- CAM-DBF-1.02 http://search.cpan.org/~clotho/CAM-DBF-1.02/ Perl extension for reading and writing dBASE III DBF files ---- Carp-Always-0.07 http://search....

AIX JNI Link with G++ module Problem #2
Hi, I changed C source to C++ source and compiled with g++. The output file is .so module which java source calls JNI native function in the source. However, when aix server restart and try to call native funtion, there is the error like this : java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError. and... when I try again, the error changes to java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError. My c++ source code are fully tested except for JNI related function calls. Is there something wrong with this jni part or : jint iPathSize = env->GetArrayLength(savepath); jint iNameSize = env->GetArrayLength(filename);...

Pics from a linked file
Hi, We have a database published on the Web throught Instant publishing. The pics are in another database to avoid duplicating these pics. When looking at the database locally throught Filemaker pro 7 we can see the pics, but when we look at the database throught a web browser on the Web the pics are not there anymore. Any ideas ? Thanks Pierre ...

A few daft pics.
Some more pics from those crazy cloggies: http://www.coolpics.nl/westvillage/2005/07feb2005/index.html A jet landed in the sea,a novel way of advertising your flight school,a boat inside a jet, and a ground vehicle that got a little too close, amongst other unrelated pics. Alan. -- To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands. in article 42091511$0$53971$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net, A.Lee at alan@darkroom.+.com wrote on 2/8/05 11:33 AM: > ...a novel way of advertising your flight ...

[module] vector.py
http://home.hccnet.nl/a.vredegoor/vector/ A highly experimental Vector and StringVector implementation. The objective is to provide an alternative for dictionary type objects which has inherent order and where "substructures" can be manipulated more efficiently. Your comments please. Anton ...

Pic vs. non Pic library code?
I have an application where I rely on a 3rd party vendor. They wrote a static library (*.a file) which one must use under Mac OS X, Linux x86 and AMD64. For the first two the vendor only supplied 1 library. For the AMD64 they supplied two though. One of them is a "normal" one and the other is named *_pic.a. According to their documentation they say you must use this for creating shared objects. Naturally this leaves some unanswered questions: Why would only AMD64 platform have this? Shouldn't linux act the same way under both x86 and AMD64? Also MAC OS X relies on a simil...

Wifi WG511 Mandrake 10.1
Bonjour, J'ai une carte PCMCIA Netgear WG511 V1 "Made in China" qui est bien d�tect�e , mais je n'arrive pas � me connecter � Internet:-[ J'ai fais tout ce que j'ai trouv� dans les tutoriels et qui concernait kernel, prism54 et ndiswrapper mais rien n'y fait! R�sultat de diverses commandes : >ndiswrapper -l Installed ndis drivers: netwg511 driver present, hardware present >dmesg wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:09:5b:ef:f6:72 using driver netwg511 wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP, WPA with TKIP, AES/CCMP ndiswrapper: driver netwg511 ...

Emacs modules for Perl programming #37
Archive-name: perl-faq/emacs-lisp-modules Posting-Frequency: 2 times a month URL: http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/ Maintainer: Jari Aalto A T poboxes com Announcement: "What Emacs lisp modules can help with programming Perl" Preface Emacs is your friend if you have to do anything comcerning software development: It offers plug-in modules, written in Emacs lisp (elisp) language, that makes all your programmings wishes come true. Please introduce yourself to Emacs and your programming era will get a new light. Where to find Emacs/XE...

ruby SVG::Graph module problem.
Hello there all, As my "learn Ruby" project I am creating a replacement for mrtg-rrd.cgi in ruby. (i.e. create TimeSeries graphs from RRD databases as SVG. Much nicer than PNG graphs). Using SVG::Graph and rrd-ruby (from http://www.germane-software.com/software/SVG/SVG::Graph/ and http://www.caddr.com/code/ruby-rrd-1.0.tar.gz respectively.) So, starting with the SVG mod, I am working through the examples included and all works as expected. Except for anything including Time / Dates - SVG::Graph::TimeSeries and SVG::Graph::Schedule. Could this be a localisation issue? (I'm ...

zcom wifi and FC3 cannot figure out
Hello, I have been searching google and other forums for several days now and cannot find any information on my problem. I picked up a Z-Com XI-325HP+ 300mw Wireless PCMCIA card and cannot install it in Fedora Core 3. I have gotten all of the updates for Fedora, including the latest kernel. I have been told that I would possibly need the hostap drivers to run the card but cannot figure out how to get them. When I try to install the hostap rpm for Fedora it tells me that I need kernel support. I cannot find any kernel patches at all. I have also found some information on the linux-wlan and th...

Pics from WoC?
Was anyone motivated to take/post pictures from WoC? Reports? Oldbitcollector Oldbitcollector wrote: > Was anyone motivated to take/post pictures from WoC? http://users.ameritech.net/gholmer/woc-2005.html Eh, I'm in one of Glenn's pictures with Lime-Mack and Cyberjank! :) I've got a group of pics I'm going to try and have online either tonight (Tues Dec 6) or tomorrow.. depends when I get the pics back from my brother! They're on his camera :) I'll post them at http://r64.c64.org Glenn Holmer wrote: > Oldbitcollector wrote: > > > Was anyone m...

US-TX-Austin: Bandpass Delta Sigma Modulator Architect: CMOS/BiCMOS; Perm (45334214409)
US-TX-Austin: Bandpass Delta Sigma Modulator Architect: CMOS/BiCMOS; Perm (45334214409) ======================================================================================= Position: Bandpass Delta Sigma Modulator Architect Reference: SMC01738 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: 5+ years designing Analog/RF IC's in CMOS/BiCMOS technologies. MS E.E. with industry experience Proven track record of successful design accomplishments required in high data rate and high clock rate designs (over ...

US-TX-Austin: Access Developer, Access, SQL, VBA, ASP, queries, macros, modules; (45351757601)
US-TX-Austin: Access Developer, Access, SQL, VBA, ASP, queries, macros, modules; (45351757601) ============================================================================================== Position: Access Developer Reference: JGG00104 Location: Austin TX Duration: 5-6 Months Skills: Microsoft Access SQL Developing, debuging, testing and troubleshooting queries, macros, and modules Understanding of database design. VBA MCDBA certification a plus. Active Server ...

Problem with tokenize module and indents
I ran into a problem with a script i was playing with to check code indents and need some direction. It seems to depend on if tabsize is set to 4 in editor and spaces and tabs indents are mixed on consecutive lines. Works fine when editors tabsize was 8 regardless if indents are mixed. Below are how the 3 test files are laid out, the sample code and output I get. Any help on how to detect this correctly would be appreciated. # nano -T4 tabspacing_4.py class Test: """triple quote""" #indent is 1 tab def __init__(self, msg): #inden...

The difficulty of connecting to WiFi!
Here's a video and proof. Head deacon in the Cult of Mac, will now move the goal posts, ignore, or say something else stupid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iREPdBLZ8Zw&fmt=22 "MuahMan" wrote in message news:e4a2e69d-3590-4377-8946-016a892acdde@a12g2000vbf.googlegroups.com... Here's a video and proof. Head deacon in the Cult of Mac, will now move the goal posts, ignore, or say something else stupid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iREPdBLZ8Zw&fmt=22 Truth Bump from stupid Eternal Slowtember In article <e4a2e69d-3590-4377-8946...

Module on Getting the Date & Time
Is there a Modules in Python that returns the time & date of today when ran? __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - You care about security. So do we. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail Sara Khalatbari <sarapythonlist@yahoo.com> writes: Hi, > Is there a Modules in Python that returns the time & > date of today when ran? You mean a method in a module? Yes, there's good 'ol time module, which will probably provide what you need: >>> import time >>> time.time() # number of seconds (+ fract) elapsed ...

Pics of the Netherlands Retro Game and Computer Show
Photos of the April 16 Netherlands Retro Game and Computer Show are on-line. To see the several pages of photos, go to http://commodore-gg.hobby.nl/april16retrodag.htm Now back in California, Robert Bernardo Fresno Commodore User Group http://videocam.net.au/fcug July 23-24 Commodore Vegas Expo - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 08:30:09 +0200, RobertB <rbernardo@iglou.com> wrote: > Photos of the April 16 Netherlands Retro Game and Computer Show are > on-line. To see the several ...