Serial port not available

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect a GPRS modem (Siemens MC35) to my windows CE based
device (platform smdk2443 Samsung).

I have  for UART possible ports:
UART0 -> I'm trying to connect my GPRS modem on it
UART1 -> Debug port
UART2 -> not available
UART3 -> I've also tried on this one

the problems is that I follows all the steps to create a dial-up
connection
but when I execute it I obtain the following error:

This port is not available: maybe another program is using it

I have delete from my Operative System image all functionalities that
could be using COM1 port (UART0) (also if I'm sure they're not using it),
I've verified that serial port is defined on system registry and I've
verified that debug port is UART1....anyway I still get this error and I'm
completly lost...

Could anyone help me???????

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

comp.arch.embedded 20047 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Finding all ports available in computer including both serial and parallel port in C#
Hi.. How to search for all avaliable system ports, Including Usb, serialport and parallel port... please help me to solve this , its very Urgent.... thanks in advance. ...

Available serial ports
Hello, I'm creating a small GUI with a serial object. Now I want to find the serial ports of my machine that are available. Is there a way to do it with Matlab without the use of the Instrument Control Toolbox? I know, it is possible with " instrhwinfo('serial') " (see: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/249631 ). But I don't have the Instrument Control Toolbox. Best regards Frank "Frank Lorenz" <frank.lorenz@delphi.com> wrote in message news:hdtr1n$8rm$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hello, > I'm creating a...

No serial ports available
Hi, I'm running v6.1 on a new computer here, and code that worked fine before (on v6.5 on a different computer) is no longer working. Here is the code: s = serial('COM1') fopen(s) I get this error message: ??? Error using ==> serial/fopen Error using ==> fopen Port: COM1 is not available. No ports are available. Use INSTRFIND to determine if other instrument objects are connected to the requested device. I've tried this with my other serial ports too, it doesn't help. The ports show up in device manager, and there's nothing else using them, so is this a bug? if...

serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510
Just wonder how to connect V490's serial port to StorEdge 3510's serial port? as the serial port on v490 is a RJ45 connection. and the serial port on 3510 is DB9. How to connect this two together? What adapter and cable should be used? Thanks! ericson paula wrote: > Just wonder how to connect V490's serial port to StorEdge 3510's > serial port? > as the serial port on v490 is a RJ45 connection. and the serial port > on 3510 is DB9. How to connect this two together? What adapter and > cable should be used? > > Thanks! a standard rj-45 cable and the a...

More Problems with Serial Port on Mac OS X Intel and USB Serial port Keyspan
I just received a keyspan USB serial convertor and I can now communicate with numerous devices use the terminal. However the TCL/TK applications still can not communicate with the devices. Is there some special command for communicating with a serial device properly or is just broke in TCL/TK Aqua on the mac? I used the test script from the tcl.tk web site with these results: Error in startup script: bad option "-mode": should be one of -blocking, -buffering, -buffersize, -encoding, -eofchar, or -translation while executing "fconfigure $serial -mode "57600,n,8,1"" (file "b.tcl" line 9) Beginning of tcl test script ############################################ # A first quick test if you have a modem # opencomport for reading and writing # For UNIX'es use the appropriate devices /dev/xxx set serial [open /dev/tty.KeySerial1 {RDWR NONBLOCK}] # I also used this in a earlier edit of the file # set serial [open /dev/tty.KeySerial1 RDWR] # setup the baud rate, check it for your configuration fconfigure $serial -mode "57600,n,8,1" # don't block on read, don't buffer output fconfigure $serial -blocking 0 -buffering none # Send some AT-command to your modem puts -nonewline $serial "KEY,H,P\r" # Give your modem some time, then read the answer after 100 puts "Modem echo: [read $serial]" The keyspan device works flawlessly in WinXP and Linux with the same appli...

Ports....Ports....Ports...
I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk. With a direct PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine. What ports need to be forwarded to allow for voice? Thanx, Grumpy On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:05:30 GMT, William Harper spoketh >I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get >voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk. With a direct >PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine. What ports need to >be forwarded to allow for voice? > >Thanx, > >Grumpy > http://messenger.msn.com/Help/#LQ10 Lars M. Hansen http://www.hansenonline.net (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address) "You're an angel with your wings broken" ...

Serial Port Availibility During Real-Time Operation
Hello, &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We have a dedicated computer that is being used for our Real-Time with a laptop sending the code to the computer to execute in real-time.&nbsp; What we are wanting to do is control a load bank through a serial port using PLC.&nbsp; So what I want to know is if the serial port on the computer's motherboard will be availible and usable for control during the Real-Time application.&nbsp; Any light that could be shed on this subject would be greatly appreciated. &nbsp; Thank you. &nbsp; Michael Well the dedicated computer is a custom computer that we are building.&nbsp; It is real-time compliant.&nbsp; It will be running both Windows XP and LabVIEW's RTOS, but not at the same time.&nbsp; We will boot in RTOS when we need it and boot in Windows when we need that.&nbsp; The motherboard has a serial port.&nbsp; I would like to know if I will be able to use the serial port on the computer's motherboard during RTOS operation.&nbsp; I don't know what ports are available for deterministic use during RTOS operation.&nbsp; Thank you. Michael The serial ports should be available, but may need some special handling since serial IO tends to be very nondeterministic. Mike... Hi Michael, &nbsp; Mike is correct, you will be able to use your serial port.&nbsp; Here is a knowledge base that talks about how to install the support : <a href="http://digital.ni.com/pub...

How to find out the actual available serial ports on a system?
I need to know what the currently available serial ports are on a given Linux box (Ubuntu, Fedora, Slackware, Gentoo, etc.). Is there some standardized way to do this? I've looked into /proc/devices, dmesg (no standard definition between drivers) and into /sys. So far nothing useful. -- Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog Author of: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies > I need to know what the currently available serial ports are on a >...

Serial port programming question----no "COM1" selection in the "VISA resource name" of "VISA Configure Serial Port "
Hi , i am new to progrom with LabVIEW. Here is some question of serial port control. &nbsp; The document of "Serial Quick Reference Guide", there is a simple example of controlling of serial port, but ,in my LabVIEW, there is some different . LabVIEW can not &nbsp; find the COM1 ,so I can not select it. &nbsp; Why ? and how to solve it? &nbsp; thanks. &nbsp; BR. Your question has very little details. Which version of LV are you using? Are you seeing a list of things you don't understand? Are you seeing an empty list? If you are seeing a list of things like A...

Serial Device & No Serial Port
Is there some type of Serial To USB adapter that I could use for my graphics tablet? I want to do some animation on the road but I have the serial edition tablet and a laptop with no serial port. TIA Ballpoint Ballpoint wrote: > Is there some type of Serial To USB adapter that I could use for my > graphics tablet? I want to do some animation on the road but I have > the serial edition tablet and a laptop with no serial port. > > TIA > > Ballpoint Belkin makes a serviceable serial to USB adapter that works for *most* serial devices. From my experience with it, the only requirements are that the device driver can be installed in the OS, even though there is no physical serial port, and a COM port can be defined. The serial to USB adapter is then set to address that COM port. So the first thing to verify is that you can install the tablet to the laptop. COM4 is a commonly available port, and is the default port for the Belkin adapter. There are other adapters that might work as well. Q Yes, there are USB to serial adapters. $15 to $50. The problem is that they don't always work. If the software uses standard BIOS and system calls, it may work, but if the software tries to access the actual hardware registers, and/or if the software is limited to COM1 to COM4 (or, even worse, COM2), you may be out of luck. The other alternative is a PC Card to serial port. These are relatively rare and sometimes expensive (sometimes VERY ex...

Any hardware board available supporting USB hub, serial,parallel,ethernet,audio ports?
Hello, I am looking for a hardware board consisting of - 5 or more USB ports (acting like USB hub) - 1*Serial port [9-pin D-Sub] - 1*Parallel port [25-pin D-Sub] - 1*6-pin PS/2 Keyboard - 1*6-pin PS/2 Mouse - 1*10/100Base Ethernet LAN port [RJ-45] - 1*Mono Audio In [3.5mm for microphone] - 1*Stereo Audio Out [3.5mm for headphone or speakers] Is there any readymade "board" available in market (at least with most of the above mentioned ports)? Thanks S45 wrote: > Hello, > I am looking for a hardware board consisting of > - 5 or more USB ports (acting like USB hub) > ...

Serial communication using serial compatibility VIs does not return correct bytes at Bytes at Serial Port vi
Hi! All, I am developing a application which communicates with serial device using compatibility VIs(as these VIs are for PDA). When I use "Bytes at Serial Port" to get the desired number of bytes to be read, it returns me the length of the bytes I wrote to the serial port and displays the same command(which is been written on the port using Serial Write.vi) in the Read Serial output terminal. I am using sequence to manage the flow of the serial initialization, write, bytes at serial port and serial read. I even have wait function in both serial write and serial read sequences. Any ...

Serial Port programming
I have a device that uses the dsr for communications. Basically what I am trying to do is get a count of how many pulses it sends per second. I have a script that counts the pulses, but there is something wrong. It is counting too many pulses. I think that what is happening is that it is counting one pulse many times. I know my count is wrong because I have some windows software that works, and when I compare the output of the windows software to the output of my script, the script is way off. If anyone out there could point me in the correct direction I would be very happy. It's tough to ...

no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router
My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a USB port. On 02/13/2007 10:00 AM, sloan949@gmail.com wrote: > My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been > reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and > once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a > USB port. Hum, Windows hyperterm? Sorry! I otherwise and most of the Linux/Unix users use minicom, the serial port should be /dev/ttyUSB* something depends your USB-to-Serial adapter is recognized. The lsusb, dmesg and usbview can also be handy for troubleshooting. -- Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709 Anu's Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192 Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/ On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:30:25 -0800, sloan949 rearranged some electrons to form: > My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been > reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and > once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a > USB port. Last time I looked, there was no Hyperterminal for Linux. -- David M (dmacchiarolo) http://home.triad.rr.com/r...

fcntl, serial ports and serial signals on RS232.
Hello to all out there, I'm trying to figure out how to parse the responses from fcntl.ioctl() calls that modify the serial lines in a way that asserts that the line is now changed. For example I may want to drop RTS explicitly, and assert that the line has been dropped before returning. Here is a brief snippet of code that I've been using to do that, but not sure what to do with the returned response: def set_RTS(self, state=True): if self.fd is None: return 0 p = struct.pack('I', termios.TIOCM_RTS) if state: return fcntl.ioctl(self.fd, termios.TIOCMBIS, p) else: return fcntl.ioctl(self.fd, termios.TIOCMBIC, p) The problem is I get responses like '\x01\x00\x00\x00', or '\x02\x00\x00\x00' and I'm not sure what they mean. I tried doing illogical things like settings CTS using the TIOCM_CTS flag and I end up just getting back a slightly different binary packed 32 bit integer (in that case '\x20\x00\x00\x00'). The above example has self.fd being defined as os.open('/dev/ttyS0', os.O_RDWR | os.O_NONBLOCK). Is someone familiar with manipulating serial signals like this in python? Am I even taking the right approach by using the fcntl.ioctl call? The environment is a ubuntu 8.04 distribution. Unfortunately due to other limitations, I can't use/extend pyserial, though I would like to. I appreciate any advice on this matter, Max Max Kotasek <mawrman@gmail.c...

porting VIs to Linux, serial port support
hello, I have installed LabVIEW 7 Express on Mandriva Linux Porting VIs Sources works well I had some VIs under Windows using the PC Serial Port, under LabVIEW 5, using the NI serpdrv file. Until now, unable to make run the Serial Ports in the Linux Version of LabVIEW.................... any hints ? Hi trallala- &nbsp; Read the following KnowledgeBase articles and reply if they do not help resolve your problems. &nbsp; <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C9858CB0446896A786256BB800503692?OpenDocument" target="_blank">Troubleshooting Serial Communication in Linux</a> <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/824C9BC66867B058862572140075D376?OpenDocument" target="_blank">How Do I Access The Serial Ports of My Linux Machine Without Admin Privileges?</a> <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/35D2B5E483A001A18625716B005BE464?OpenDocument" target="_blank">What Linux Distributions do National Instruments' Drivers and Software Support?</a> &nbsp; Hope this helps! &nbsp; ...

Serial port problems
I'm trying to get an application talking to the COM2 port on OSR5 but I'm running into some problems. mkdev serial crashes whenever I select COM2 from the list of COM ports. The application is communicating using a null modem cable. I'm able to log in via a terminal however which suggests that the port is working. The application that I'm trying to use does not need to enabled logins. I would like to set baud rate of the port but since I cannot use mkdev serial then I cannot do that. Is there a way to set the baud rate, parity and so on without using the serial manager? I...

Serial Port Multiplexing (2 apps to 1 port)
Hello group :) For some time now I have been trying to find some way of implementing a method that will allow 2 (or more) serial communication applications to read and write to 1 physical serial port, and I have failed at every attempt. Hopefully someone can help me in my quest for a solution. A solution to do exactly this under Windows is available : http://www.taltech.com/products/tcpcom.html ** quote ** 5. Use TCP-Com to feed data from one physical RS232 port to multiple RS232 serial communications programs. Normally Windows will not allow two serial communications programs to open the same serial port at the same time however it is possible to use TCP-Com to feed data from a physical RS232 serial port to multiple "Virtual" serial ports so that more than one application program can input data from a single RS232 serial port. To accomplish the above, configure one instance of TCP-Com to open a physical serial port (COM1) on your PC and acting as a TCP/IP server using any port number that you like. Next, open a second instance of TCP-Com (select New from the TCP-Com File menu) and configure it to create a virtual COM port (COM2) and have it connect as a TCP/IP client to the TCP/IP port that the first (server) instance has been configured to use. Finally, open a third instance of TCP-Com and configure it to create another virtual COM port (COM3) and have it also connect as a TCP/IP client to the TCP/IP port that the first (server) instance has been configured to ...

Serial port character I/O wait and port blocking
Hi, I've got the basic serial I/O functions working with and without overlapping, my query concerns the specific requirements I have. My applications transmit command strings to target devices. Receive characters, when they occur, are fairly infrequent, and occur alone, but they must be signalled to the main thread promptly. So what I'd like is a Rx thread that waits for incoming characters and posts a message, but which doesn't block the port for transmit. However, it seems that the only wait for receive characters is via WaitCommEvent(), and my tests show that ...

need to make my usb port emulate a serial port
The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks whic connects to my car for tuning. The program only recognizes seria com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car terminates in a usb. I have heard about emulators that can make my computer regonize a us port as a serial. Having trouble finding anything though. Any hel would be much appreciate audia4tuner wrote: > > The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks which > connects to my car for tuning. The program only recognizes serial > com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car terminates in a usb. > I have heard about emulators that can make my computer regonize a usb > port as a serial. Having trouble finding anything though. Any help > would be much appreciated Emulator??? How about a cable? Have a look at: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=103226 Notan On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:50:15 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote: >audia4tuner wrote: >> >> The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks which >> connects to my car for tuning. The program only recognizes serial >> com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car terminates in a usb. >> I have heard about emulators that can make my computer regonize a usb >> port as a serial. Having trouble finding anything though. Any help >> would be much appreciated > >Emulator??? >...

Serial Port
Hi Guys, The sunv490 are shipped with DB-25 adapter (Sun part number 530-2889-03) And when the brought v210 they had the db-9. As far As i can tell the only diff is the db-25 can only be plugged to LTP1 port of regular desktop but doing so doesnt get itto work. Whereas I plug in the db-9 i get terminal access to whatever machine I plug the rj45 in. Anyone know know to get the db-25 to work to desktops? (db-25 to rj45 the rj45 gets plugged to serial port on the server) Or Is there such a product as usb to rj45. So I can plug usb in the back of the laptop and rj45 to the back of the server? ...

serial port
I want my program to show the number and name of the serial ports on my computer in the same style at e.g. Hyperterminal. Like,,,if the computer has 2 serial ports there will only be 2 serial ports on the list,,,or 10 if the computer has 10. Any suggestions on how this can be done ? ST wrote: > I want my program to show the number and name of the serial ports on my > computer in the same style at e.g. Hyperterminal. Like,,,if the computer has > 2 serial ports there will only be 2 serial ports on the list,,,or 10 if the > computer has 10. > > Any suggestions on how this can be done ? > > The current ports are listed in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICEMAP/SERIALCOMM (on winXP) Reading from here works well because this list is dynamically created (i.e. if a virtual serial port is created via USB) Hope this helps, Jamie I'm sure it does, thanks. "jamie" <jamie@noway.com> wrote in message news:jYoVc.25501$ZI1.1067692@news20.bellglobal.com... > ST wrote: > > I want my program to show the number and name of the serial ports on my > > computer in the same style at e.g. Hyperterminal. Like,,,if the computer has > > 2 serial ports there will only be 2 serial ports on the list,,,or 10 if the > > computer has 10. > > > > Any suggestions on how this can be done ? > > > > > > The current ports are listed in the registry: > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICE...

serial port
Access97 Anyone know how to retrieve data from a serial port to which a barcode scanner is attached? any sample code I could start with? Thanks in advance, John. Tony, I don't know if this is the case but most barcode scanners used with a laptop plug into the serial port. They then have an auxiliary plug that plugs into the aux keyboard plug to power the scanner. Steve PC Datasheet "Tony Toews" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:phlhhv0epot57s9k3gd5etp3q3u175gm49@4ax.com... > John Kinsella <john_kinsella@vodafone.ie> wrote: > > >Anyone know how to retrieve data from a serial port to which a barcode > >scanner is attached? any sample code I could start with? > > No disrespect intended but most barcode scanners work between the keyboard and the > keyboard port. But yours is serial port which is somewhat unusual. > > See the Serial Port Communications page at my website for some links. > > Tony > -- > Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP > Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can > read the entire thread of messages. > Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at > http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm > "PC Datasheet" <resource@pcdatasheet.com> wrote in news:RnbSa.109388$Io.9362110@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net: > Tony, > > I don't know if this is the case but most barcode scanners used with a >...

Serial Not Available
I've searched Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City, Office Depot, Comp-USA, etc. and all the handheld Palms have USB and/or Infrared, Bluetooth, 802.22x but none have serial RS232 capabilities it seems. I need to transfer text files from a handheld to a PC thru the PC's com-port (DB9), the PC running something like Hyperterminal. Is this no longer available or possible for the current generation of Palms? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance, Bart I've owned a Clie PEG-TJ37 for a few years and couldn't find an adapter or solution to tranfering text files to a PC's com-port (DB9) so I thought I'd buy a Palm that could, and thats when I realized none of the current generation support serial (RS232) file transfers. Hope this is not a lost cause, Bart On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:52:12 -0500, "Bart" <bborb@fusedotnet> wrote: > I've searched Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City, Office Depot, Comp-USA, etc. >and all the handheld Palms have USB and/or Infrared, Bluetooth, 802.22x but >none have serial RS232 capabilities it seems. I need to transfer text files >from a handheld to a PC thru the PC's com-port (DB9), the PC running >something like Hyperterminal. Is this no longer available or possible for >the current generation of Palms? >Any suggestions are appreciated. >Thanks in advance, >Bart As far as I know, none of the current Palms have RS-232 capability. Why do you need to conn...

Web resources about - Serial port not available - comp.arch.embedded

Republicans Sour on Election Process, Two Americans Killed in Brussels, Indiana Bans Sex-Selective Abortion ...
Just 30 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said they feel the presidential election process is working as it should, ...

Fremont still likely to be the 'Center of the Universe' even after Google goes
Not to jinx it, but shop owners in Fremont probably need not fret about Google leaving the Seattle neighborhood. Not with another growing tech ...

Bill Lynch 'Theme To The Garry Shandling Show'
Traffic sucks, so why not start your morning off with some music? You provide the toast and we’ll provide the jams. Read more...

The LEGO Batman Movie is the Superhero Movie We Deserve
Superhero movies aren’t allowed to just be movies anymore. Cameos have to be shoehorned in, not for audience excitement, but for the sake of ...

Microsoft takes artificial intelligence bot 'Tay' offline after racist tweets
Tay, Microsoft Corp's so-called chatbot that uses artificial intelligence to engage with millennials on Twitter, lasted less than a day before ...

Build your own Amazon Echo using a Raspberry Pi for $60
Amazon’s Echo is a nifty little gadget that’s powered by the company’s Alexa voice assistant and listens for voice commands to do things like ...

Ole Miss Student Pleads Guilty To Putting A Noose Around Civil Rights Statue
A former University of Mississippi student could face up to a year in prison after pleading guilty to desecrating a civil rights statue. Austin ...

Was Adam Johnson really given the right sentence?
Shamed footballer Adam Johnson was handed six years in jail after pleading guilty to sexual grooming and kissing a 15-year-old girl. But questions ...

Obama In Argentina: Burning American Flags And Acknowledgment Of Past Sins
Just as Barack Obama’s Argentina trip was coming to an end, marchers moving toward Buenos Aires’ Plaza de Mayo yelled out his name. “ Obama, ...

NFL Rumors: New York Jets No Longer Pursuing Colin Kaepernick
NFL rumors have been swirling around Colin Kaepernick. The former second round draft pick doesn’t want to play for the San Francisco 49ers any ...