Altera configuring/programming for FLEX10KE with EPC2 - sof or pof?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I want to configure/program an Altera FLEX EPF10K30ETC144-3 + EPC2LC20
using files I've generated using Quartus for the same devices. I want
to use JTAG to interface to the devices using my ByteBlaster II. I have
carefully followed all Altera directions in generating the files and
designing the circuit with the devices on a PCB. My 2 questions are:

1) What is the difference between "configuring" and "programming" in
this context?

2) What file should I use to configure/program? .sof or .pof or both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I inherited the code and PCB
from another team that were using everything successfully. All I'm
trying to do is reprogram a new FPGA on the same PCB with the same
files. Unfortunately I do not have any contact with that team any more
for help.

-Jim

0
Reply jasimpson (12) 9/22/2006 3:28:03 PM

See related articles to this posting

Hello Jim,

) Configuring refers to the loading information into the FPGA.
Programming refers to loading information into the EPC2 flash memory
device.

2) Quartus II software uses the SOF file to configure the FPGA with a
download cable.  The POF file is used to program the EPC2 device.

Hope this helps.
Subroto Datta
Altera Corp.

jasimpson@gmail.com wrote:
> I want to configure/program an Altera FLEX EPF10K30ETC144-3 + EPC2LC20
> using files I've generated using Quartus for the same devices. I want
> to use JTAG to interface to the devices using my ByteBlaster II. I have
> carefully followed all Altera directions in generating the files and
> designing the circuit with the devices on a PCB. My 2 questions are:
>
> 1) What is the difference between "configuring" and "programming" in
> this context?
>
> 2) What file should I use to configure/program? .sof or .pof or both?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I inherited the code and PCB
> from another team that were using everything successfully. All I'm
> trying to do is reprogram a new FPGA on the same PCB with the same
> files. Unfortunately I do not have any contact with that team any more
> for help.
>
> -Jim

0
Reply Subroto 9/22/2006 10:00:23 PM

Thanks Subroto. I'm using Quartus with Byteblaster II to program the
EPC2 using JTAG. I have the EPC2 configured (using the .pof file) to
then configure the FLEX10K using Passive Serial mode. (I never use the
..sof file and I can't talk to the FPGA directly  anyways.)

But this is the problem that I'm having now:

The configuration cycle state machine seems to be getting stuck in the
Configuration state thereby never getting to the user-mode. I suspect
this because my CONF_DONE is low and nSTATUS is high. Also, all my
output pins seem to be high (or tri-stated).

The FPGAs were working fine and I hadn't programmed the EPC2 more than
a handful of times, but one fine morning it just randomly stopped
working. I have other spare boards running the same configuration and
code and they've been working fine for over a year.

Thanks again,
Jim

Subroto Datta wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>
> ) Configuring refers to the loading information into the FPGA.
> Programming refers to loading information into the EPC2 flash memory
> device.
>
> 2) Quartus II software uses the SOF file to configure the FPGA with a
> download cable.  The POF file is used to program the EPC2 device.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Subroto Datta
> Altera Corp.
>

> jasimpson@gmail.com wrote:
> > I want to configure/program an Altera FLEX EPF10K30ETC144-3 + EPC2LC20
> > using files I've generated using Quartus for the same devices. I want
> > to use JTAG to interface to the devices using my ByteBlaster II. I have
> > carefully followed all Altera directions in generating the files and
> > designing the circuit with the devices on a PCB. My 2 questions are:
> >
> > 1) What is the difference between "configuring" and "programming" in
> > this context?
> >
> > 2) What file should I use to configure/program? .sof or .pof or both?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. I inherited the code and PCB
> > from another team that were using everything successfully. All I'm
> > trying to do is reprogram a new FPGA on the same PCB with the same
> > files. Unfortunately I do not have any contact with that team any more
> > for help.
> >
> > -Jim

0
Reply Jim 9/22/2006 11:16:18 PM
comp.arch.fpga 18408 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Configuring Altera FLEX10KE using EPC2 device
Hello there I'm having serious problems configuring my FPGA using EPC2. We have designed the circuit exactly as stated in the Altera datasheet and even played around with the pullups and buffering that's recommended. To be more specific, We have a board with a FLEX10KE (EPF10K200SBC356-1) and a EPC2LC20 for in-system configuration. We also have provided for direct Byteblaster configuration using a connector (using the same path towards the FPGA and selecting between them through enabling/disabling a buffer). Finally, we have a JTAG connector by which we can configure the FPGA directly...

Programming one page of an Altera configuration device
Can I program only one page of a EPC16 Altera configuration device via JTAG ? In particular, can I program only the page that I have selected with PGM(2:0) ? I have to use this for remote update. Matteo ...

Problem programming Altera flex 10k100 & EPC2
I have a working prototype board from yesteryear with a Flex 10K100GC503-3 FPGA and an EPC2L120 configuration device on it. I realize these are geriatric parts by todays standards, but if I can get this board working, it will do what I need. Altera is no help - pointing out that the part was EOL'ed in 1993. This board definitely worked when it was put into storage, though I used an older copy of MaxPlusII to program it at the time. I created the EDIF files then using Synplicity 7.2.3. At that time, I had no problem either programming the FPGA directly with the .sof or the EPC2 with the .p...

programming Altera AS Configuration Device without Byteblaster II
Do you have an Altera ByteblasterMV an do you want to programm the Configuration Device EPCS1 or EPCS4 for Cyclone ?? Use this: Make a new VisualBasic Form with one ProgrammButton Command1 and one CommonDialog1 add the source code below download the InpOut32.DLL from http://www.logix4u.cjb.net/ Modfify your Byteblaster/ByteblasterMV: connect PIN4 of your Printer SUBD25 Connector to PIN17 (2A4) of the 74HC244. Use the same Pull Up Resistors like on the other Pins. Disconnect the Pin from GND. connect PIN3 of 74HC244 to Pin8 of the JTAG Connector. Connect PIN4 of the JTAG to PIN6 to disable the...

Altera Cyclone Programming device programming
The Altera Cyclone Programming device EPCS1 are shown to be programmed in the AS mode requiring an own connector. Since the JTAG was never officially declared outdated, I'd expect a way to program the cyclone plus the EPCS1 in JTAG mode. I wasn't able to find it yet though. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net The Cyclone device is programmable using only the proprietary mechanism. It does not support 1149.1 or 1532 based programming. Rene Tschaggelar wrote: > The Altera Cyclone Programming device EPCS1 ar...

Programming using .pof File and In-system Programming
Hello, I have programmed EPLD only once using MAX+PLUS II, with necessary hardware already connected with PC. Now, I am in the situation that I need to figure out what is needed and how to set-up system to program MAX 3032ALC. I have an MPU, but it is 68 pins. I have seen some sort of adapters of different pins, could they be used somehow on 68 pin MPU? Could anybody point me to documents describing all these (programming with .pof file)? I also need to set-up for In-System Programming, so at later stage that would become helpful. I have never done that. I need guideline for that too. Than...

Defining Configurations in Programming with User Configurations without display
Hi, The mathwork documentation has tutorial how to set up a user configuration with window display and GUI: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/distcomp/f5-16141.html#f5-16540 However, I am working with the matlab console. Does anyone know how to define a user configuration? Thanks in advance, Kai ...

Altera programming
We need to program Altera PLDs on the end of a production line. Using the full IDE involves re-registering the stuff every 3 months, which is impossibly awkward at the factory. Does anyone know if there is a simpler program-only utility which doesn't require continuous re-licensing? TVM David David Collier <from_usenet_comp_arch_fpga@dexdyne.com> wrote: : We need to program Altera PLDs on the end of a production line. : Using the full IDE involves re-registering the stuff every 3 months, which : is impossibly awkward at the factory. : Does anyone know if there is a simpler ...

Altera Flex10K support ?
Hi I have found old parts lying around in the lab and I could put them to good use. Alas, they are not supported by Quartus any more. Do you know which version of the tool I should get (and where I could get it, if Altera doesn't provide it) ? Thanks Nicolas "Nicolas Matringe" <nicolas.matringe@fre.fre> wrote in message news:4e4c1188$0$7330$426a74cc@news.free.fr... > Hi > I have found old parts lying around in the lab and I could put them to > good use. Alas, they are not supported by Quartus any more. Do you know > which version of the tool I should ge...

altera Flex10k + I2C
hi, I implemented an I2C-bus part in my Flex10k where the SDA line is bidir and the SCL is input (slave mode). Clock input is 24MHz (not SCL). What I see on the SDA pin of the device is that the signal there is oscillating with frequence of 1.3Hz. It doesn't matter when this line is floating or connected to a I2C transmitter in master mode by use of a pull-up resistor. The transmitter is OK I checked. Any help? Marc ...

Altera programming problem
In laboratory I have few boards with Altera Flex600. Boards are connected with PC using ByteBlaster. On PC I have Win98 OS. On the all PC is the same software. Problem is that on some computers after configuring ALTERA device after some time (sometimes very short) project in Altera is deleteted. How to solve that problems without disconnecting ByteBlaster after programming? Jaroslaw Guzinski Jaroslaw Guzinski <jarguz@sunrise.pg.gda.pl> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.58.0310210953060.27819@sunrise.pg.gda.pl>... > In laboratory I have few boards with Altera Flex600. Board...

Altera Configuration Device
Hello: I'm looking for the the data sheet on an Altera EPC2LC20. Can't find in on Altera web site. And a google search didn't uncover anything. It did direct me fo web pages but no data sheets for this device. Anyone got a copy? Thanks George Hallo, have a look at http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-config.jsp and especially volume 2. HTH, Carlhermann "George" <george.martin@att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:e9d879fa.0407301021.4fe97720@posting.google.com... > Hello: > > I'm looking for the the data sheet on an Altera EPC2LC20. > Can't...

Programming Altera Devices
Hi newsgroup users, can someone tell me how to define the programming time of a EP1C12 Cyclone when using PL-BYTEBLASTER2 cable in comparison to PL-USB-BLASTER cable? Thank you for your help. Rgds ALuPin wrote: > can someone tell me how to define the programming time of a EP1C12 Cyclone > when using PL-BYTEBLASTER2 cable in comparison to PL-USB-BLASTER cable? Wrong newsgroup, try comp.arch.fpga. -- Tim Hubberstey, P.Eng. . . . . . Hardware/Software Consulting Engineer Marmot Engineering . . . . . . . VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems Vancouver, BC, Canada . . . . . . . . . . ...

Altera configuration with microcontroller
I'm looking at the cost of serial configuration devices from Altera and am a little shocked at how expensive they are. Digi Key sells the EPCS4 for $13, which seems steep for 4Mbit of storage. A quick glance at Digi-Key's website suggests I can get an SPI-compatible PIC chip and a 4Mbit SPI FLASH memory for less than $4, which means I should be able to program the FPGA from the PIC for a third of the cost of Altera's solutoin. Before I go off and reinvent the wheel, does anyone know of a prepackaged solution for programming an Altera device (I'm using a Cyclone) with a ...

How can I save my configuration in my program?
I have a VME-MXI-2and two VME devices. 1&#12289;I use MAX configuration them. 2&#12289;I run resource manager. 3&#12289;set up the visa resource name in labview 4&#12289;I read form and write these VME devices with labview programming. but when I run the programming next,I must repeat 2,3,4 step,why? Can I save these sets in labview? and I run labview programming directly,then I access the VME devices. Hello, You should never have to run Resource Manager more than once between runs of your devices. Usually, if you run Resman more than once without powering down the hardware...

Altera configuration Problem?? Help
Hello :) I have board with Altera stratix FPGA. Because of board design mistake, MSEL[2:0] pins are always logic 1. I can not cut or modify because tarce are not visible (burried). Can i use this board? if yes what configurtaion i should use. can i use JTAG configuration? Thanks ndesi wrote: > Hello :) > > I have board with Altera stratix FPGA. Because of board > design mistake, MSEL[2:0] pins are always logic 1. I can not cut > or modify because tarce are not visible (burried). > > Can i use this board? if yes what configurtaion i should use...

Programming Altera MAX 7000E
I came across a small surplus of Altera MAX 7000Es. On Altera's website I found information about how to program the Altera MAX 7000S. Is programming the MAX 7000E the same or does it require special equipment? Thanks, Derek Simmons Derek, The key difference is that MAX 7000S devices are in-system-programmable, whereas MAX 7000E devices are programmed in a programming unit. Altera has the "Altera Programming Unit" and the "Altera Stand-Alone Programmer" which plug into a PC for programming these devices. An adapter plugs into these programmers and then accepts the dev...

Altera SerialLite II configuration
I would like to use SerialLite II on Altera Cyclone IV GX22 (when available). I already studied the literature, and there's an open question concerning configuration of the SerialLite interface: I plan to use all 4 high-speed transceivers in unidirectional transmitter mode to send bursts of image data (I've an additional low- speed control path where I can return link status and errors), and want to include the link layer for package encapsulation, CRC, lane striping; I do not need priority packets, retry-on-error handling, flow control. So in my opinion there is no need for a ...

Altera ACEX1K configuration and initialisation
I'm using an Altera ACEX1K and can't find the condition of the IO-Pins during configuration and initialisation of the FPGA ??? Can there be an input on the IO-Pins during configuration and initialisation ??? Especially can there be a clock on GCLK0-Pin during configuration and initialisation ??? Thanks, Manfred "Manfred Balik" <e8825130@stud4.tuwien.ac.at> writes: > I'm using an Altera ACEX1K and can't find the condition of the IO-Pins > during configuration and initialisation of the FPGA ??? > Can there be an input on the IO-Pins during configura...

Programming Altera Config Device
We have a number of PCB's with Altera Cyclone/Config device systems. In R&D we use Quartus to program this. For production, we have a bed of nails based ATE system, using LabView. We want to program the config. device automatically. Has anyone done this ? Does Altera produce a .dll or .ocx version of the programming tools ? Can the programmer be run as a WIN32 console app. (ie from the command line) ? Does National Instruments (or a third party) have anything ? Any advice much appreciated, Gary "Gary Pace" <xxx@yyy.com> wrote in message news:Zz62d.1762$Gz....

Programming Altera Devices #2
Hi newsgroup users, can someone tell me how to define the programming time of a EP1C12 Cyclone when using PL-BYTEBLASTER2 cable in comparison to PL-USB-BLASTER cable? Thank you for your help. Rgds PL-USB-BLASTER is faster than PL-BYTEBLASTER2 (specially in Passive Serial programming mode) ALuPin@web.de (ALuPin) wrote in message news:<b8a9a7b0.0406280522.1fe77b20@posting.google.com>... > Hi newsgroup users, > > can someone tell me how to define the programming time of a EP1C12 Cyclone > when using PL-BYTEBLASTER2 cable in comparison to PL-USB-BLASTER cable? > > T...

Altera EPC16 Configuration Problem
Hi, I have a problem with configuration altera FPGA's on my board. my configuration scheme is: 1 EPC16 device connected in PPS mode to: A stratix device on Data0 (EP1S20) & 2 cyclone devices (EP1C12) connected Data1 & Data2 of the EPC16&#8230; when I power-up the board, the configuration cycle isn't started, I can't find the DCLK (this signal stays LOW always!) the nSTATUS signal goes HIGH ~85mSec after power-up the CONF_DONE signal stays LOW always. I've tried to connect an external OSC to the EPC16 => I didn't work. Please advice, Tal Hi Tal, A det...

configuring an Altera Cyclone 3
Hi, I have an FPGA design that works from JTAG, and now I want to burn a serial flash chip so it will configure itself at powerup. The mode pins should be right for serial self-load, and we'll be using a standard serial flash chip, an M25P16. We have a B&K USB flash burner. I've read the Altera lit and it's not entirely clear to me, so I'd appreciate some help. What Altera file format should I use to burn the serial flash chip? RBF? RPD? Should I tell the programmer to swap ends on bytes or words? Thanks John -- John Larkin, President Highland Technology, Inc j...

Linux Serial Configuration Program
i got a multi-port serial card (MSC) connected to a mother board via PC/104 ISA bus. there are eight serial ports on the MSC, but any of them can only be associated with ttyS2 or ttyS3 (i did not tried ttyS0,1 for they are already used by the mother board itself). if i associated (via setserial command) any of them to ttyS4+, a very _long delay_ will be detected on both direction of RX and TX. those ports all shared a common irq (not occupied by other devices) but with different io base address. i doubt there is a kernel configuration problem, but i just have no a clue. the version of linu...

bufif0 wired-or in Altera FLEX10K
I've just been sent some code which contains the equivalent of : module top_level ( inout d, input a, input b, input c, ......); always @ ( a, ....) if (a) d <= ....... else d <= 1'bz; bufif0 (d, ....., b); bufif0 (d, ....., c); endmodule What will the Altera synthesis tool make of this and what happens when both b and c are zero? ...