Altera configuring/programming for FLEX10KE with EPC2 - sof or pof?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I want to configure/program an Altera FLEX EPF10K30ETC144-3 + EPC2LC20
using files I've generated using Quartus for the same devices. I want
to use JTAG to interface to the devices using my ByteBlaster II. I have
carefully followed all Altera directions in generating the files and
designing the circuit with the devices on a PCB. My 2 questions are:

1) What is the difference between "configuring" and "programming" in
this context?

2) What file should I use to configure/program? .sof or .pof or both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I inherited the code and PCB
from another team that were using everything successfully. All I'm
trying to do is reprogram a new FPGA on the same PCB with the same
files. Unfortunately I do not have any contact with that team any more
for help.

-Jim

0
Reply jasimpson (12) 9/22/2006 3:28:03 PM

See related articles to this posting

Hello Jim,

) Configuring refers to the loading information into the FPGA.
Programming refers to loading information into the EPC2 flash memory
device.

2) Quartus II software uses the SOF file to configure the FPGA with a
download cable.  The POF file is used to program the EPC2 device.

Hope this helps.
Subroto Datta
Altera Corp.

jasimpson@gmail.com wrote:
> I want to configure/program an Altera FLEX EPF10K30ETC144-3 + EPC2LC20
> using files I've generated using Quartus for the same devices. I want
> to use JTAG to interface to the devices using my ByteBlaster II. I have
> carefully followed all Altera directions in generating the files and
> designing the circuit with the devices on a PCB. My 2 questions are:
>
> 1) What is the difference between "configuring" and "programming" in
> this context?
>
> 2) What file should I use to configure/program? .sof or .pof or both?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I inherited the code and PCB
> from another team that were using everything successfully. All I'm
> trying to do is reprogram a new FPGA on the same PCB with the same
> files. Unfortunately I do not have any contact with that team any more
> for help.
>
> -Jim

0
Reply Subroto 9/22/2006 10:00:23 PM

Thanks Subroto. I'm using Quartus with Byteblaster II to program the
EPC2 using JTAG. I have the EPC2 configured (using the .pof file) to
then configure the FLEX10K using Passive Serial mode. (I never use the
..sof file and I can't talk to the FPGA directly  anyways.)

But this is the problem that I'm having now:

The configuration cycle state machine seems to be getting stuck in the
Configuration state thereby never getting to the user-mode. I suspect
this because my CONF_DONE is low and nSTATUS is high. Also, all my
output pins seem to be high (or tri-stated).

The FPGAs were working fine and I hadn't programmed the EPC2 more than
a handful of times, but one fine morning it just randomly stopped
working. I have other spare boards running the same configuration and
code and they've been working fine for over a year.

Thanks again,
Jim

Subroto Datta wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>
> ) Configuring refers to the loading information into the FPGA.
> Programming refers to loading information into the EPC2 flash memory
> device.
>
> 2) Quartus II software uses the SOF file to configure the FPGA with a
> download cable.  The POF file is used to program the EPC2 device.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Subroto Datta
> Altera Corp.
>

> jasimpson@gmail.com wrote:
> > I want to configure/program an Altera FLEX EPF10K30ETC144-3 + EPC2LC20
> > using files I've generated using Quartus for the same devices. I want
> > to use JTAG to interface to the devices using my ByteBlaster II. I have
> > carefully followed all Altera directions in generating the files and
> > designing the circuit with the devices on a PCB. My 2 questions are:
> >
> > 1) What is the difference between "configuring" and "programming" in
> > this context?
> >
> > 2) What file should I use to configure/program? .sof or .pof or both?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. I inherited the code and PCB
> > from another team that were using everything successfully. All I'm
> > trying to do is reprogram a new FPGA on the same PCB with the same
> > files. Unfortunately I do not have any contact with that team any more
> > for help.
> >
> > -Jim

0
Reply Jim 9/22/2006 11:16:18 PM
comp.arch.fpga 18320 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Configuring Altera FLEX10KE using EPC2 device
Hello there I'm having serious problems configuring my FPGA using EPC2. We have designed the circuit exactly as stated in the Altera datasheet and even played around with the pullups and buffering that's recommended. To be more specific, We have a board with a FLEX10KE (EPF10K200SBC356-1) and a EPC2LC20 for in-system configuration. We also have provided for direct Byteblaster configuration using a connector (using the same path towards the FPGA and selecting between them through enabling/disabling a buffer). Finally, we have a JTAG connector by which we can configure the FPGA directly...

Programming one page of an Altera configuration device
Can I program only one page of a EPC16 Altera configuration device via JTAG ? In particular, can I program only the page that I have selected with PGM(2:0) ? I have to use this for remote update. Matteo ...

Problem programming Altera flex 10k100 & EPC2
I have a working prototype board from yesteryear with a Flex 10K100GC503-3 FPGA and an EPC2L120 configuration device on it. I realize these are geriatric parts by todays standards, but if I can get this board working, it will do what I need. Altera is no help - pointing out that the part was EOL'ed in 1993. This board definitely worked when it was put into storage, though I used an older copy of MaxPlusII to program it at the time. I created the EDIF files then using Synplicity 7.2.3. At that time, I had no problem either programming the FPGA directly with the .sof or the EPC2 with the .p...

programming Altera AS Configuration Device without Byteblaster II
Do you have an Altera ByteblasterMV an do you want to programm the Configuration Device EPCS1 or EPCS4 for Cyclone ?? Use this: Make a new VisualBasic Form with one ProgrammButton Command1 and one CommonDialog1 add the source code below download the InpOut32.DLL from http://www.logix4u.cjb.net/ Modfify your Byteblaster/ByteblasterMV: connect PIN4 of your Printer SUBD25 Connector to PIN17 (2A4) of the 74HC244. Use the same Pull Up Resistors like on the other Pins. Disconnect the Pin from GND. connect PIN3 of 74HC244 to Pin8 of the JTAG Connector. Connect PIN4 of the JTAG to PIN6 to disable the...

Altera Cyclone Programming device programming
The Altera Cyclone Programming device EPCS1 are shown to be programmed in the AS mode requiring an own connector. Since the JTAG was never officially declared outdated, I'd expect a way to program the cyclone plus the EPCS1 in JTAG mode. I wasn't able to find it yet though. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net The Cyclone device is programmable using only the proprietary mechanism. It does not support 1149.1 or 1532 based programming. Rene Tschaggelar wrote: > The Altera Cyclone Programming device EPCS1 ar...

Programming using .pof File and In-system Programming
Hello, I have programmed EPLD only once using MAX+PLUS II, with necessary hardware already connected with PC. Now, I am in the situation that I need to figure out what is needed and how to set-up system to program MAX 3032ALC. I have an MPU, but it is 68 pins. I have seen some sort of adapters of different pins, could they be used somehow on 68 pin MPU? Could anybody point me to documents describing all these (programming with .pof file)? I also need to set-up for In-System Programming, so at later stage that would become helpful. I have never done that. I need guideline for that too. Than...

Defining Configurations in Programming with User Configurations without display
Hi, The mathwork documentation has tutorial how to set up a user configuration with window display and GUI: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/distcomp/f5-16141.html#f5-16540 However, I am working with the matlab console. Does anyone know how to define a user configuration? Thanks in advance, Kai ...

Altera programming
We need to program Altera PLDs on the end of a production line. Using the full IDE involves re-registering the stuff every 3 months, which is impossibly awkward at the factory. Does anyone know if there is a simpler program-only utility which doesn't require continuous re-licensing? TVM David David Collier <from_usenet_comp_arch_fpga@dexdyne.com> wrote: : We need to program Altera PLDs on the end of a production line. : Using the full IDE involves re-registering the stuff every 3 months, which : is impossibly awkward at the factory. : Does anyone know if there is a simpler ...

Altera Configuration Device
Hello: I'm looking for the the data sheet on an Altera EPC2LC20. Can't find in on Altera web site. And a google search didn't uncover anything. It did direct me fo web pages but no data sheets for this device. Anyone got a copy? Thanks George Hallo, have a look at http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-config.jsp and especially volume 2. HTH, Carlhermann "George" <george.martin@att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:e9d879fa.0407301021.4fe97720@posting.google.com... > Hello: > > I'm looking for the the data sheet on an Altera EPC2LC20. > Can't...

Programming Altera Devices
Hi newsgroup users, can someone tell me how to define the programming time of a EP1C12 Cyclone when using PL-BYTEBLASTER2 cable in comparison to PL-USB-BLASTER cable? Thank you for your help. Rgds ALuPin wrote: > can someone tell me how to define the programming time of a EP1C12 Cyclone > when using PL-BYTEBLASTER2 cable in comparison to PL-USB-BLASTER cable? Wrong newsgroup, try comp.arch.fpga. -- Tim Hubberstey, P.Eng. . . . . . Hardware/Software Consulting Engineer Marmot Engineering . . . . . . . VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems Vancouver, BC, Canada . . . . . . . . . . ...