DDR2 dqs pin // virtex4

Hi,

I just bougth a card with FPGA "Virtex4 XC4VLX60 668pinBGA -11"
The board is equiped with a DDR2 SDRAM memorie.
FPGA and memory is connected with signals such as DQ[0:15], DQS[0:1],
DQSN[0:1].
I use Xilinx controler (MIG 1.72) in ISE 9.1.03i.

The pinout of this board is :
DDR2_DQS0 => PIN number M21 (IO_L13P_9)
DDR2_DQS0_N => PIN number M2O (IO_L13N_9)
DDR2_DQS1 => PIN number K20 (IO_L5N_9)
DDR2_DQS1_N => PIN number L19 (IO_L5P_9)

I have an error in ISE, because there is an inversion between DQS1 <->
DQS1_N
DDR2_DQS1 should have PIN number L19 (IO_L5P_9)
(When I do this inversion in ucf file, I can route my FPGA)

Please, see below the VHDL code (MIG 1.72).

Can you help me to find a solution to modify the VHDL code, and so get round
the bug pinout of this board
Thanks lot.

Regards,
Benoit.

The VHDL code (MIG 1.72) is :
---
-- Device      : Virtex-4
-- Design Name : DDR2 Direct Clocking
-- Purpose     : This module places the data stobes in the IOBs.
---

library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;

library UNISIM;
use UNISIM.VCOMPONENTS.ALL;

entity mem_interface_top_v4_dqs_iob is
  port (
    CLK          : in    std_logic;
    RESET        : in    std_logic;

    DLYINC       : in    std_logic;
    DLYCE        : in    std_logic;
    DLYRST       : in    std_logic;
    CTRL_DQS_RST : in    std_logic;
    CTRL_DQS_EN  : in    std_logic;
    DDR_DQS      : inout std_logic;
    DDR_DQS_L    : inout std_logic;
    DQS_RISE     : out   std_logic
    );
end entity;

architecture arc_v4_dqs_iob of mem_interface_top_v4_dqs_iob is

  signal dqs_in         : std_logic;
  signal dqs_out        : std_logic;
  signal dqs_delayed    : std_logic;
  signal ctrl_dqs_en_r1 : std_logic;
  signal vcc            : std_logic;
  signal gnd            : std_logic;
  signal clk180         : std_logic;
  signal data1          : std_logic;
  signal DQS_UNUSED     : std_logic;

  signal RESET_r1       : std_logic;

begin

  vcc    <= '1';
  gnd    <= '0';
  clk180 <= not CLK;

  process(CLK)
  begin
    if (CLK = '1' and CLK'event) then
      RESET_r1 <= RESET;
    end if;
  end process;

  process(clk180)
  begin
    if clk180'event and clk180 = '1' then
      if (CTRL_DQS_RST = '1') then
        data1 <= '0';
      else
        data1 <= '1';
      end if;
    end if;
  end process;

  idelay_dqs : IDELAY
    generic map(
      IOBDELAY_TYPE  => "VARIABLE",
      IOBDELAY_VALUE => 0
      )
    port map (
      O   => dqs_delayed,
      I   => dqs_in,
      C   => CLK,
      CE  => DLYCE,
      INC => DLYINC,
      RST => DLYRST
      );

  iddr_dqs : IDDR
    generic map(
      DDR_CLK_EDGE => "SAME_EDGE_PIPELINED",
      SRTYPE       => "SYNC"
      )
    port map (
      Q1 => DQS_RISE,
      Q2 => DQS_UNUSED,
      C  => CLK,
      CE => vcc,
      D  => dqs_delayed,
      R  => RESET_r1,
      S  => gnd
      );

  oddr_dqs : ODDR
    generic map(
      DDR_CLK_EDGE => "OPPOSITE_EDGE",
      SRTYPE       => "SYNC"
      )
    port map (
      Q  => dqs_out,
      C  => clk180,
      CE => vcc,
      D1 => data1,
      D2 => gnd,
      R  => gnd,
      S  => gnd
      );

  tri_state_dqs : FD
    port map (
      D => CTRL_DQS_EN,
      Q => ctrl_dqs_en_r1,
      C => clk180
      );

  iobuf_dqs : IOBUFDS
    port map (
      O   => dqs_in,
      IO  => DDR_DQS,
      IOB => DDR_DQS_L,
      I   => dqs_out,
      T   => ctrl_dqs_en_r1
      );

end arc_v4_dqs_iob;

0
bhb22l (2)
11/22/2007 9:33:25 AM
comp.arch.fpga 18522 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

bhb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bougth a card with FPGA "Virtex4 XC4VLX60 668pinBGA -11"
> The board is equiped with a DDR2 SDRAM memorie.
> FPGA and memory is connected with signals such as DQ[0:15], DQS[0:1],
> DQSN[0:1].
> I use Xilinx controler (MIG 1.72) in ISE 9.1.03i.
>
> The pinout of this board is :
> DDR2_DQS0 => PIN number M21 (IO_L13P_9)
> DDR2_DQS0_N => PIN number M2O (IO_L13N_9)
> DDR2_DQS1 => PIN number K20 (IO_L5N_9)
> DDR2_DQS1_N => PIN number L19 (IO_L5P_9)
>
> I have an error in ISE, because there is an inversion between DQS1 <->
> DQS1_N
> DDR2_DQS1 should have PIN number L19 (IO_L5P_9)
> (When I do this inversion in ucf file, I can route my FPGA)
> Can you help me to find a solution to modify the VHDL code, and so get round
> the bug pinout of this board

I don't understand - you have an error in the ucf file, you changed the
ucf file, it fixed the problem but you want a different solution so that
you don't have the change the ucf file?

Your VHDL code directly instantiates the IOB. ISE 'knows' to which pins
the IO and IOB outputs of IOBUFDS can connect. Your VHDL connects the
DQS pins using vector notation, which is good because it is concise and
understandable. If you wanted to change the VHDL, you could instantiate
the IOBUFDS of each DQS separately. For the DQS that has the error in
the ucf, change the signal names to match the ucf. This will make an
inverted DQS output, so be sure to invert that DQS bit somewhere in the
DQS generation logic. Check the timing carefully to make sure that the
inversion doesn't cause any timing errors. Finally, put in a comment
explaining why you made this change.

I had a similar problem on a design, except that the PC board had an
error and the N FPGA output went to a P SDRAM input; the P FPGA output
went to the N SDRAM input. I inverted the signal before the IOB then
commented it carefully so that months later I wouldn't wonder why that
signal was coded differently than the rest. (It was my job to check to
PCB artwork before fab, too.)

---
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity
0
Joseph
11/22/2007 3:43:57 PM
Thank you for comment.
I need to change my file.ucf to route the FPGA. So, the information is
opposite.
DQS0 should have the same information as DQS1 (I use Lower and Upper byte in
memory).
But with this chnage in ucf, DQS0 = DQS1_N.

I changed IOBUFDS for only DQS1, DSQ1_N
I invert DQS1 bit in the DQS1 generation logic, but I have no result in the
board (the source code was tested
in a other DDR2 memory with success).

I don't know if the problem is a timing or other.

Could you indicate me an example (please find the code in my first mail) to
invert  DQS1 bit in the DQS1 generation logic.
Thanks lot in advance.

Best regards,
Benoit.

"Joseph Samson" <user@not.my.company> a �crit dans le message news:
1th1j.70646$YL5.24511@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...
> bhb wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just bougth a card with FPGA "Virtex4 XC4VLX60 668pinBGA -11"
> > The board is equiped with a DDR2 SDRAM memorie.
> > FPGA and memory is connected with signals such as DQ[0:15], DQS[0:1],
> > DQSN[0:1].
> > I use Xilinx controler (MIG 1.72) in ISE 9.1.03i.
> >
> > The pinout of this board is :
> > DDR2_DQS0 => PIN number M21 (IO_L13P_9)
> > DDR2_DQS0_N => PIN number M2O (IO_L13N_9)
> > DDR2_DQS1 => PIN number K20 (IO_L5N_9)
> > DDR2_DQS1_N => PIN number L19 (IO_L5P_9)
> >
> > I have an error in ISE, because there is an inversion between DQS1 <->
> > DQS1_N
> > DDR2_DQS1 should have PIN number L19 (IO_L5P_9)
> > (When I do this inversion in ucf file, I can route my FPGA)
> > Can you help me to find a solution to modify the VHDL code, and so get
round
> > the bug pinout of this board
>
> I don't understand - you have an error in the ucf file, you changed the
> ucf file, it fixed the problem but you want a different solution so that
> you don't have the change the ucf file?
>
> Your VHDL code directly instantiates the IOB. ISE 'knows' to which pins
> the IO and IOB outputs of IOBUFDS can connect. Your VHDL connects the
> DQS pins using vector notation, which is good because it is concise and
> understandable. If you wanted to change the VHDL, you could instantiate
> the IOBUFDS of each DQS separately. For the DQS that has the error in
> the ucf, change the signal names to match the ucf. This will make an
> inverted DQS output, so be sure to invert that DQS bit somewhere in the
> DQS generation logic. Check the timing carefully to make sure that the
> inversion doesn't cause any timing errors. Finally, put in a comment
> explaining why you made this change.
>
> I had a similar problem on a design, except that the PC board had an
> error and the N FPGA output went to a P SDRAM input; the P FPGA output
> went to the N SDRAM input. I inverted the signal before the IOB then
> commented it carefully so that months later I wouldn't wonder why that
> signal was coded differently than the rest. (It was my job to check to
> PCB artwork before fab, too.)
>

> ---
> Joe Samson
> Pixel Velocity

0
bhb
11/22/2007 4:53:42 PM
bhb wrote:
> Thank you for comment.
> I need to change my file.ucf to route the FPGA. So, the information is
> opposite.
I'm sorry that I still don't understand what you're telling me. Can you
explain why fixing the ucf file isn't the correct solution and can you
please tell me what the original ISE error was?

> I changed IOBUFDS for only DQS1, DSQ1_N
> I invert DQS1 bit in the DQS1 generation logic, but I have no result in the
> board (the source code was tested
> in a other DDR2 memory with success).

Can you explain this in much more detail? What do you mean that the
source code was tested in another DDR2 memory with success?

> Could you indicate me an example (please find the code in my first mail) to
> invert  DQS1 bit

My VHDL is rusty, how about:
   iobuf_dqs : IOBUFDS
     port map (
       O   => dqs1_in,
       IO  => DDR_DQS1,
       IOB => DDR_DQS1_L,
       I   => not dqs1_out,
       T   => ctrl_dqs_en_r1
       );

---
Joe
0
Joseph
11/23/2007 12:28:40 AM
Thank Joseph for your comment.

ISE 'knows' to which pins the IO and IOB outputs of IOBUFDS can connect.
I found the solution to not modify my ucf pinout, and not modify the logic
value of  DQS and DQS_N.
I changed the IOBUFDS, and used IOBUF and ODDR. With ISE, I can connect :
DQS_N => PIN  IO_P
DQS => PIN  IO_N

In ucf , use IOSTANDART = SSTL18_II
(not DIFF_SSTL18_DCI).

I routed this solution, and the test is OK on the board.

Y8p1j.19185$4V6.8763@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net...
> bhb wrote:
> > Thank you for comment.
> > I need to change my file.ucf to route the FPGA. So, the information is
> > opposite.
> I'm sorry that I still don't understand what you're telling me. Can you
> explain why fixing the ucf file isn't the correct solution and can you
> please tell me what the original ISE error was?
>
> > I changed IOBUFDS for only DQS1, DSQ1_N
> > I invert DQS1 bit in the DQS1 generation logic, but I have no result in
the
> > board (the source code was tested
> > in a other DDR2 memory with success).
>
> Can you explain this in much more detail? What do you mean that the
> source code was tested in another DDR2 memory with success?
>
> > Could you indicate me an example (please find the code in my first mail)
> > invert  DQS1 bit
>
> My VHDL is rusty, how about:
>    iobuf_dqs : IOBUFDS
>      port map (
>        O   => dqs1_in,
>        IO  => DDR_DQS1,
>        IOB => DDR_DQS1_L,
>        I   => not dqs1_out,
>        T   => ctrl_dqs_en_r1
>        );
>
> ---
> Joe

0
bhb

6-pin firewire PCMCIA?
are there any PCMCIA cards that supply 6-pin Firewire with Power Supply ... for use with an iPod ... so you can charge the iPod battery and push data at the same time ... ? thank you! > are there any PCMCIA cards that supply 6-pin Firewire with Power Supply ... There are 6-pin firewire cards (I owned one for a while), but there are none that will supply iPod charge power. ...

DDR2 termination
Hi, After reading over the documentation for DDR2 and the SSTL signalling standard, I have a question about the role of termination in DDR2. It appears to me that in addition to the usual termination function, the resistors provide some sort of biasing function around the Vref (1.8v/2) point. Is it the case that the IO on the DDR2 modules can "swing" around that midpoint without the presence of termination resistors, or are these necessary for correct operation (even using On- Die Termination). What I would like to know is whether, in addition to the unidirectional signals (Address...

High byte termination on Manhattan 68/50 pin cable
Is there high byte termination built into the Manhattan 364348 adaptor cable 68 pin HD to 50 pin HD? Or can someone provide a pointer to information on testing the cable using only a multimeter? Thanks in advance David "David Robley" <me@here.com> wrote in message news:V884e.378$GR2.3980@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au > Is there high byte termination built into the Manhattan 364348 adaptor cable > 68 pin HD to 50 pin HD? > Or can someone provide a pointer to information on testing the cable using only a multimeter? So what does the SCSI FAQ say about that? > > Than...

FS: New: 24 Pin Sockets and 40 Pin Sockets
FS: New: 24 Pin Sockets and 40 Pin Sockets ========================================================================= Lots of 100: New Burndy 24 Pin Sockets The price is: The price is: $ 16.00 per lot of 100 which INCLUDES the UPS shipping cost Check out more info and pics at: http://www.jrakar.com/glw/electronics/sockets/24psock.htm ============================================================================= Lots of 100: New 40 Pin Sockets The price is: $ 17.00 per lot of 100 which INCLUDES the UPS shippin...

unused pins 56865
I try to port processor in xilinx FPGA. The processor code does 've more inputs, outputs, buffers declared in entity. Now while pin assignment in ucf file, if suppose I use only some and left others, without assigning at all , will the ISE assign those left signals to pins automatically. Iam trying to download to development board, which is assigned for some processor/logic. If suppose the tool automatically assign some pins which is not intended, it may cause board problems. Am I right, give some insight, Prakash In general ,I think the tool will aotumatically remove the unused pins in ...

ddr2 ram
does anyone know if ddr2 ram can be substituted for pc2700 in a toshiba satellite m40 or in general? Thanks, David "David Hendry" <hendry@netxp.com.au> wrote in message news:43001ccc$0$838$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-03.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.au... > > does anyone know if ddr2 ram can be substituted for pc2700 in a toshiba > satellite m40 or in general? > No. Both the signalling and the pinouts are different. dk ...

Read 1-17 pins on LPT #2
Hello�.all, I am trying to read parallel port, all the pins from 1-17. I am using libs Parapin http://www.circlemud.org/~jelson/software/parapin/ Can some one agree with me that; it is possible to use all the pins on parallel port as an input pins 1-17???? I can able to read all the pins except 1, 11, 14, and 17 Any idea what can be the problem???? I tried using parapin input test program, but no luck. So I just want to conform about reading all the pins on parallel port ��.. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #includ...

DDR2 Question
The memory I'm installing is DDR2 and it states that it is CL-5...so what is CL? Clock Latency? Can I use two CL-5 modules and two CL=6 modules, appropiately paired? DA "DrArm" asked: > The memory I'm installing is DDR2 and it states that it is CL-5...so > what is CL? Clock Latency? "Column Address Strobe (CAS) Latency" See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_Latency and: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-RAM-Timings/26/2 and: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=873 > Can I use two CL-...

sell dump with pin cvv
SELL CVV Good - DUMPS + TRACK 1,2 - Western Union transfer=A0Hello all buye= r... happy if business with you=A0- I'm seller best and alway sell CC fresh= with hight balance=A0- And i have software do bug account bank and informa= tion western union=A0- I have account paypal with good balance=A0- I hope u= good customers and will be long-term cooperation=A0If You Need To Buy CVV = (Credit Card) Please contact me NOW for more information=A0LIST PRICE CVV (= VALID AND GOOD WORK)_____=A0=3D>=20 US=A0Visa, master =3D $4 per 1 BIN =3D DOB =3D $12=20 FULL =3D $30=20 Amex,Discover ...

No plans to support DDR2 yet
AMD is going on record as saying it doesn't see needing to support DDR2 till 2006 at the earliest. PCWorld.com - AMD Says It Will Stick with DDR Memory in 2005 http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120005,00.asp Yousuf Khan ...

Re: Seagate 9GB 50-pin disk drives #2
Thanks Stan, I have scoured all of those on line resources and bought quite a few at reasonable prices but supply is catching up with demand and these things are becoming increasingly difficult to find. I threw that post up there in hopes of an individual on this list having any that they would personally want to sell. These drives are primarily for spares that are going into HP 9000 series VME modular workstations and industrial controllers. The drives that are used in these systems are the 50 pin SCSI ones and the only two 9GB drives that have been bench tested for these controller...

Splitting bidirectional pins?
Hello, all -- I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a logic approach to splitting a bidirectional data pin into two one-way data paths? Could this be done with (fairly) simple logic? I'm stumped, so I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks, Chuck On 20 Jul 2006 14:45:03 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded "Soundtech" <summerhome@gmail.com> wrote: >Hello, all -- > >I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a logic approach to splitting a >bidirectional data pin into two one-way data paths? Could this be done >with (fairly) simple logic? > >I...

New 24-pin power connector help please
I'm trying to confirm that it's safe to connect a new-style PSU with 24-pin motherboard power connector to an old Pentium PIII 20-pin socket. I've noticed that the connector will physically connect with the board's 20-pin socket. I realise that I can purchase another power-supply but I need to find out quickly, so that I can get a system up and running again tonight. Thanks! Frederick wrote: > I'm trying to confirm that it's safe to connect a new-style PSU with 24-pin > motherboard power connector to an old Pentium PIII 20-pin socket. > &...

DDR2 controler
Hello, I am currently using the DDR2 controler from XILING (under MIG1.72) for a VIRTEX4. I am encountering a problem of access speed when I write to the memory. Each time I access the memory, my project requires that I use different line and column addresses (ie. I am writing in different lines and columns each time ). Example: first Write access (address) : line 1, column 1 second Write acces (address) : line 2, column 3 Can you indicate me how to use the controler in an optimal way (how can the delay between the 2 write access be minimized) ? Should I use the 'PRECHARGE' command...

destroyed pin :( #2
Oh, yes I forgot, the photo of destroyed CIA in Amiga 1200 is here: http://qrange.150m.com/Set57_01.jpg "Orange" <orangeAMI@mail.ru> wrote in message news:ed4dg0d1n9gmejdqm4okgcavcjleffud2i@4ax.com... > Oh, yes I forgot, the photo of destroyed CIA in Amiga 1200 is here: > http://qrange.150m.com/Set57_01.jpg Looks like a blob of solder hanging off the edge of the pin ?? Maybe it still has contact to the pad underneath or did you destroy the pad too. You could always try and solder a wire from what is left of the pin to the track. > > On F...

Queen honours PIN inventor ..
"James Goodfellow invented the personal identification number (PIN) system of accessing cash machines2" http://tinyurl.com/yfkonl In article <ekkest$vi4$1@aioe.org>, Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@linuxmail.org> wrote: > "James Goodfellow invented the personal identification number (PIN) > system of accessing cash machines2" > > http://tinyurl.com/yfkonl Anyone want to try to explain how this one is on-topic? Jim Richardson--you seem to have a remarkable gift for seeing how things are on-topic...maybe you can explain it? -- --Tim Smith ----...

MPMC2: MPMC2 with DDR2 SDRAM
Hi, Has anyone successfully used MPMC2 as the memory controller for DDR2 SDRAM? I used it to interface with the Micron's MT47H32M16CC-37EB DDR2 SDRAM and it doesn't work. Any important steps/settings required in order to get it working? Thanks. zyan schrieb: > Hi, > > Has anyone successfully used MPMC2 as the memory controller for DDR2 SDRAM? I used it to interface with the Micron's MT47H32M16CC-37EB DDR2 SDRAM and it doesn't work. Any important steps/settings required in order to get it working? > > Thanks. same here :( all attempts to get MPMC2 DDR2 design...

15 pin (vga) to 23 pin adaptor for a1200
got a nec 3ds monitor now i need the 15pin to 23 pin adaptor for the monitor vga cable and the 1200 pinout. commodore had a silver plated adaptor at one time . got one e mail me with price. james underscore 23703 at yahoo dot com jim portsmouth va ...

Lot of row cache/library pin
Hi, I have a database 9.2.0.6, with the wait events below: Top 5 Timed Events ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ % Total Event Waits Time (s) Ela Time -------------------------------------------- ------------ ----------- -------- row cache lock 37,587 87,406 63.12 library cache pin 6,565 17,853 12.89 enqueue 5,255 15,093 10.90 CPU time ...

Microblaze and DDR2
I am trying to integrate my own DDR2 controller into a Microblaze processor. I have created a board support package file with the ports defined and have added an IOTYPE attribute of XIL_MEMORY_V1. However when I run the bsb it thinks that I want to use the Xilinx MPMC. Maybe I shouldnt be adding this attribute, but I need EDK to know that this is a memory controller so that it will let me change the memory type in the generate linker script dialog. Thanks Jon --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com On Apr 17, 9:48=A0am, &q...

ddr2 ram
how does ddr2 ram really work...its architecture? its timing diagrams? its pin out? modes? is there any resource for all this information? On 2008-10-06, Nishant Shah <dumbnish@gmail.com> wrote: > how does ddr2 ram really work...its architecture? its timing diagrams? > its pin out? modes? is there any resource for all this information? Try to find a datasheet for a DDR2 memory from a memory manufacturer like Micron. /Andreas Nishant Shah wrote: > how does ddr2 ram really work...its architecture? its timing diagrams? > its pin out? modes? is there any resource for all this...

Samsung Memory - 512 MB - DIMM 240-pin
Samsung Memory - 512 MB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II / PC2-4200 removed from Dell XPS 400 system. Purchased as part of new system about 18 months ago. memory working great, upgraded system to 4 GIGS quantity four, 110 dollars for pair; all four for 190.00 dollars (reasonable offers will be considered) plus 10 dollars shipping /insurance will ship memory upon receipt of money order or bank cashier check. ...

Is there such a 4 pin firewire cable to hdmi cable? 261951
I have a zr800 dv video recorder, it has a 4 pin (not 6 pin) firewire connection, but my laptop has only usb or hdmi connection. Is there such a thing as 4 pin firewire cable with hdmi on the other end? thanks. On 01/22/11 22:59, lbbss wrote: > I have a zr800 dv video recorder, it has a 4 pin (not 6 pin) firewire > connection, but my laptop has only usb or hdmi connection. Is > there such a thing as 4 pin firewire cable with hdmi on the other > end? thanks. Doesn't sound encouraging: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hd.html Good luck ...

Mobile DDR vs DDR2
Hi Folks, I need to put in DDR or DD2 interfaces. I need about 1.2GB/s bandwidth. As I am targetting a low end fpga, I am limited by the max bitrate on the i/o. (DDR333 or DDR2-400). What will be a better alternative go with DDR333 or DDR2-400? My main considerations are - power and ability to hide the latencies during accesses. From what I see on the usual memory vendors - 1. Mobile DDR available in x32 organization in one package 2. DDR2 available in x16 but significantly lower power at IDD7. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you. Best regards, Sanjay On 17 May, 20:35, fp...

V4 and DDR2 666
Hi all, Xilinx has announced support for DDR2 up to 533 MHz. Are there any physical limitations that won't allow higher frequencies to be used? -Fernando fortiz80@gmail.com wrote: > Hi all, > > Xilinx has announced support for DDR2 up to 533 MHz. Are there any > physical limitations that won't allow higher frequencies to be used? Umm.. That's 533M*bit* (267MHz). You could try: a) Working through the app notes (I know at least some of them have timing budget calculations) b) Attempting to build a simple design using something like the memory interface generator...