iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

I have just bought myself a Sparten 3 starter kit, I usually use a 2E
kit in my lab and have never had any problems, however when trying to
connect to the board using iMpact (part of ISE 8.2i) I get error 923,
the console output is:

Welcome to iMPACT
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
// *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto
AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
Checking cable driver.
Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6...
 Installer exit code = 1.
Successful.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2).
Checking cable driver.
Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6...
 Installer exit code = 1.
Successful.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3).
Checking cable driver.
Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6...
 Installer exit code = 1.
Successful.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4).
Checking cable driver.
Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6...
 Installer exit code = 1.
Successful.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Invalid OS minor version = 2.
Cable connection failed.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      3 sec.
Cable autodetection failed.
WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

The board is on LPT1, and I have never had any problems with that
parallel port as I use it to print when my board isn't connected!

Anyone have and ideas?

TIA

comp.arch.fpga 18587 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

What is the interface voltage for the Spartan3 header?  If it's 2.5V, the
Programming Cable III has a little trouble working with the in/out levels.
Try strapping the Vref to 3.3V instead.  It powers the buffers in the
Parallel Cable III.

Just FYI: this isn't any trouble for the Parallel Cable IV or the USB
Programming Cable.

- John_H

"Skyrunner" <dom.hewett@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just bought myself a Sparten 3 starter kit, I usually use a 2E
> kit in my lab and have never had any problems, however when trying to
> connect to the board using iMpact (part of ISE 8.2i) I get error 923,
> the console output is:
>
> Welcome to iMPACT
> // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
> // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
> GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
> // *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto
> AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
> PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
> Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
> Checking cable driver.
> Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6...
> Installer exit code = 1.
> Successful.
> Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2).
> Checking cable driver.
> Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6...
> Installer exit code = 1.
> Successful.
> Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3).
> Checking cable driver.
> Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6...
> Installer exit code = 1.
> Successful.
> Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4).
> Checking cable driver.
> Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6...
> Installer exit code = 1.
> Successful.
> Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
> Invalid OS minor version = 2.
> Cable connection failed.
> PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
> Elapsed time =      3 sec.
> Cable autodetection failed.
> WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !
>

> The board is on LPT1, and I have never had any problems with that
> parallel port as I use it to print when my board isn't connected!
>
> Anyone have and ideas?
>
> TIA

0
John_H
10/23/2006 11:17:16 PM
I can find any definitive info as to what the board uses for the JTAG
interface, some people say 2.5V, other say 3.3V, how would I got about
changing this? I can't seem to find anything in the board manual.

I did intend to get the Parallel IV cable but I couldn't get one with
my development board order (so I am using the bundled 3) and they seem
to be quite hard to source in the UK.

Cheers,

0
Skyrunner
10/23/2006 11:39:30 PM
On 23 Oct 2006 16:39:30 -0700, "Skyrunner" <dom.hewett@gmail.com> wrote:

The Windriver6 "Installer exit code=1" followed by "Success" is
suspicious, especially repeated for each port. It looks like a failure
to install Windriver; can you check this instllation outside Impact?

>I did intend to get the Parallel IV cable but I couldn't get one with
>my development board order (so I am using the bundled 3) and they seem
>to be quite hard to source in the UK.

Available from the online store at www.xilinx.com, and they do ship to
the UK. Check if currently in stock...

I try to work with UK distributors, but when they quote a 6 week
leadtime for something ex-stock (or even a software download, and I'm
not kidding!) it's VERY good to have that option.

- Brian

0
Brian
10/24/2006 10:56:22 AM
Just a thought - I remember having to play with the EPP ECP port
configuration in the BIOS to get the cable to work properly.

Maybe that was just for the high-speed though...

Ben

"Brian Drummond" <brian_drummond@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> On 23 Oct 2006 16:39:30 -0700, "Skyrunner" <dom.hewett@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The Windriver6 "Installer exit code=1" followed by "Success" is
> suspicious, especially repeated for each port. It looks like a failure
> to install Windriver; can you check this instllation outside Impact?
>
>>I did intend to get the Parallel IV cable but I couldn't get one with
>>my development board order (so I am using the bundled 3) and they seem
>>to be quite hard to source in the UK.
>
> Available from the online store at www.xilinx.com, and they do ship to
> the UK. Check if currently in stock...
>
> I try to work with UK distributors, but when they quote a 6 week
> leadtime for something ex-stock (or even a software download, and I'm
> not kidding!) it's VERY good to have that option.
>
> - Brian

0
Benjamin
10/24/2006 3:30:31 PM
WinDriver is installed and I have verified that the driver files are
there, I even updated to the latest version, 8.1.0 from Jungo.

I have tried it with my parallel port set to ECP and ECP+EPP and no joy!

0
Skyrunner
10/24/2006 6:19:00 PM
I have just installed ISE on my laptop and it is connectiong to the
board perfectly!  Thankfully it means the cable and board are fine,
it's obviously a software issue that I can now fix at my leisure!

Thanks for you help!

0
Skyrunner