True Random Number Gen in Virtex 7

Has anybody tried to build a true random number generator from Catalin Baetoniu's paper?

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/attachments/xlnx/EDK/27322/1/HighSpeedTrueRandomNumberGeneratorsinXilinxFPGAs.pdf

He uses interconnected ring oscillators in conjunction with a "Linear Hybrid Cellular Automata" for making the distribution more uniform.

I built this in a Virtex 7 to use in the lab for hardware testing.  I had to instantiate the LUTs for the ring oscillator and put DONT_TOUCHes on them.

I just wondered if anyone else had tried this.  It's difficult to tell "how random" the numbers really are without extensive analysis.  I noticed Xilinx has a patent based on this paper, but I didn't know you could patent ring oscillators.
0
Kevin
12/21/2016 2:44:08 AM
comp.arch.fpga 18587 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 18:44:08 -0800, Kevin Neilson wrote:

> Has anybody tried to build a true random number generator from Catalin
> Baetoniu's paper?
>
> http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/attachments/xlnx/EDK/27322/1/
HighSpeedTrueRandomNumberGeneratorsinXilinxFPGAs.pdf

> He uses interconnected ring oscillators in conjunction with a "Linear
> Hybrid Cellular Automata" for making the distribution more uniform.
>
> I built this in a Virtex 7 to use in the lab for hardware testing.  I
> had to instantiate the LUTs for the ring oscillator and put DONT_TOUCHes
> on them.
>
> I just wondered if anyone else had tried this.  It's difficult to tell
> "how random" the numbers really are without extensive analysis.  I
> noticed Xilinx has a patent based on this paper, but I didn't know you
> could patent ring oscillators.

Ring oscillators to generate -- or at least seed -- random numbers isn't
new.  If there's a patent there, they're probably trying to make a real
or perceived barrier to people doing it with an Altera part.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested