USB 2.0 OTG in FPGA

Hello,

I'm trying to develop an USB 2.0 OTG interface with a FPGA (Xilinx or
Altera).
Therefore I think I'll have to make some sort of IP with UTMI(+) or
ULPI interface to communicate with an external PHY. As PHY i was
thinking about the ISP150x frow Philips or the USB3300 from SMSC.
Maybe someone else better suggestions? Buying a IP is expensing if
you're not planning to make lots of the product, unless there is a free
USB 2.0 OTG IP-core.

I also need a development/evaluation kit. I found a few interesting
boards: hydraXC with the LEEB or the one from asics.ws. Wich one can
you recommend?

Hope you can help me.

Martin

comp.arch.fpga 18587 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

all hydraxc modules have USB OTG connector on them so the LEEB isnt
even required, just power the module with 3.3V and plug the USB
connector. The USB chip is philips ISP1671

developing and validating (eg passing USB OTG compliance testing) an HS
OTG IP core is not less than 1 man year. So buying an IP core or using
some other options is possible better choice

both isp150x or usb3300 can be used for the OTG IP core, but it really
isnt so reasonable to be implemented in the FPGA also from the resource
utilization, etc

so if you need HS use ISP1671 for FS speed I would use Atmel
AT90USB1287 but there are other choices also available

Antti

0
Antti
2/24/2006 10:05:16 AM
Antti, thanks for your quick reply.

Right now im investigating all possibilities. The hydraXC seems indeed
a very interesting solution. But are you sure it hasnt the isp1761 on
board in stead of the isp1671. Cause i cant find any infromation of the
isp1671.

And what do you know about integrate the PHY into the FPGA? Is it even
possible? Cause we maybe want to make an asic of the usb interface. If
it isnt possible and just use an external PHY, there are many
possibilities. Because all the phys i have seen are using an ulpi or
utmi interface. And thats what i prefer.

Martin

0
Martin
2/24/2006 10:52:00 AM
Martin  Bosma <martinbosma@gmail.com> wrote:
> Antti, thanks for your quick reply.

> Right now im investigating all possibilities. The hydraXC seems indeed
> a very interesting solution. But are you sure it hasnt the isp1761 on
> board in stead of the isp1671. Cause i cant find any infromation of the
> isp1671.

> And what do you know about integrate the PHY into the FPGA? Is it even
> possible? Cause we maybe want to make an asic of the usb interface. If
> it isnt possible and just use an external PHY, there are many
> possibilities. Because all the phys i have seen are using an ulpi or
> utmi interface. And thats what i prefer.

The page
http://wiki.openchip.org/index.php/HydraXC:FAQ#What_other_components_are_on-board.3F
had it wrong. I have now corrected it

Uwe
2/24/2006 11:01:17 AM
sorry sure 1761, my typo

FPGA is not OK for USB PHY
ULPI phys are nice (small package, etc) but the overall effort to get
your OTG HS IP core validates is enormous

antti

0
Antti
2/24/2006 11:02:03 AM
thanks Uwe, it should have been my responsibility to fix :)

well I am really busy making more reference design and firmware for the
hydraxc modules,
tested working are
u-boot (microblaze), including file load from sd-card
sd-card support in uclinux
microwindows (uclinux, direct hardware access)
some ppc demos also, ppc-linux support in progress
for the ISP1761 there are some device mode demos
mass storage device, etc, for host mode now also
a minimal standalone application that configures the
internal hub and request some descriptors from
connected device, etc..

Antti

0
Antti