XILINX slice structure detaild description

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi
I would like to know if any of you knows a good paper (app note etc.)
that describes the xilinx slice sturcture in details, I know the
general cell architecture (e.g. - two LUTs, Two regs and carry logic)
but I wanted to get a lot more fimiliar with the architecture and
functionally of each logic element in the cell, for example how exactly
does the carry logic is structured etc.

The reason for this qeustion is that I want to implement arithmetic
block using as less logic and routing as possible
I wonder if there is an application note that explains how to code and
route your arithmetic functions in a way that is best suitable for the
xilinx chip (spartan 2E).

So if any of any of you is fimiliar with such a paper I will be
grateful for a link.

Regards
MC

0
Reply MC 12/15/2004 10:22:02 AM

See related articles to this posting

MC wrote:

>Hi
>I would like to know if any of you knows a good paper (app note etc.)
>that describes the xilinx slice sturcture in details, I know the
>general cell architecture (e.g. - two LUTs, Two regs and carry logic)
>but I wanted to get a lot more fimiliar with the architecture and
>functionally of each logic element in the cell, for example how exactly
>does the carry logic is structured etc.
>
>The reason for this qeustion is that I want to implement arithmetic
>block using as less logic and routing as possible
>I wonder if there is an application note that explains how to code and
>route your arithmetic functions in a way that is best suitable for the
>xilinx chip (spartan 2E).
>
>So if any of any of you is fimiliar with such a paper I will be
>grateful for a link.
>
>Regards
>MC

No need to study a paper on this.  Open the FPGA editor tool.  All the
information you need is there.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950

                                          -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

0
Reply Ray 12/15/2004 2:22:37 PM
comp.arch.fpga 18323 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

about slices in xilinx
hi all, i have a doubt regarding no.of slices in xlinx what are slices? what are LUT? in xilinx 1)the no.of slice constant in every version or does it vary? 2)can the area of an architecture be decreased if we say no.of slices are decreased. is this type of approach is correct? or 3) how can we say a area of architecture is decreased? 4)i am implementing project which is having the no.of slices in order of hundreds. where as the previous technique implemented have the no.of slices in order of thousands from this can we conclude that the area is decreased. please kindly answer. my...

Xilinx Spartan Logic Cell/Slice vs. Xilinx CPLD Macrocell
Hello all, knowing that one Spartan-3-FPGA-Slice stands for 2.25 Logic Cells, how can I convert this into a Xilinx CPLD Macrocell? Example: Using an i2c-module with 150 Slices in a Spartan-3, which CPLD Device (number of Macrocells) would be sufficient? Haven't found any reference at xilinx or google. Thanks for any feedback, Richard "Eric" <ca9@gmx.de> wrote in message news:LeCdnY3PC6QpebvUnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@giganews.com... > Hello all, > > knowing that one Spartan-3-FPGA-Slice stands for 2.25 Logic Cells, how can > I convert this into a Xilinx CPLD Macr...

Xilinx multiplier out of slices
Hi, I'm new to the Xilinx tools. How do I tell Xilinx ISE 7.1 to synthesise the following statement: y <= a * b; to NOT use dedicated multipliers? Thanks a bunch, Pete Pete, Synplify uses an attribute called syn_multsyle. I know this doesn't answer your question but it might help in your google searches? Good luck, Syms. "Peter Sommerfeld" <psommerfeld@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114204591.770429.197140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I'm new to the Xilinx tools. How do I tell Xilinx ISE 7.1 to synthesise > the following statemen...

Xilinx Slice and Altera ...?
Hi Sorry to bother the group with something I really should have been able to figure out myself, but I'm sort of pressed for time, so I hope you bear with me. I have some (limited) knowledge of the (modern) Xilinx Virtex 'Slice', and how it is constructed, so to speak. But how similar is the Altera FPGAs' building blocks, and what are they called? Oh, and how, if at all, similar are the two? Panic wrote: > > Hi > > Sorry to bother the group with something I really should have been able to > figure out myself, but I'm sort of pressed for time, so I hop...

gate/xilinx slice
Hi, What is the usual ratio to know how many gate does a design represent when we get the number of xilinx slice needed?? Regards, Alexis kcl wrote: > Hi, > > What is the usual ratio to know how many gate does a design represent when > we get the number of xilinx slice needed?? > > Regards, > > Alexis Here we go again... There have been many discussions on design gate equivalents and how the "gates" in a part relate between manufacturers. You can't really relate the slice count in a design to gates, because the gate count depends on what resour...

How to introduce delay in Structural description ?
Hi all, The follwing code is simple 2-input and gate model. Here I am having doubt. begin t1 : and4 port map ( in1, in2, out1 ); t2 : and_output port map ( out1,out2); end and_arch ; I know these two instance t1,t2 will be executed concurrently at 0 ns simulation time.But here T1 instance will execute at 0ns simulation time.t2 instance will execute after updated the value from out1.So Here I need to introduce some delay to execute the t2 instance at some simulation time. How to introduce delay at instance t1? Give me some ideas to proceed further? regards, priya -------...

VHDL description of an array structure
Hi, I'm writing VHDL code to describe a system of which the structure is an array of some building blocks.The inputs and outputs of such a building block may be about 10 bits wide.And there will be around 100 of these building blocks in the structure.So is there a smart way to do this instead of instantiating every one of them and porting map them together?coz otherwise it'll be a lot of copy-paste and quite error-prone. panthera panthera wrote: > Hi, > > I'm writing VHDL code to describe a system of which the structure is an > array of some building blocks.The inp...

Data structure for Earth slice data
I'd like to use Mathematica to solve this problem: What's a good data structure/methodology for representing "slices" of the Earth? More specific example: the set of points that are less than 1600 miles from Chicago AND less than 1000 miles from Albuquerque AND less than 800 miles from Dallas. Obviously, the description above is one way to represent the data, but it's not very useful. I want a representation that will: % Tell me if a given latitude/longitude is inside or outside the set. % For a given latitude, tell me what longitudes (if any) are ...

Misleading description of [i:j:k] slicing?
As of Python 2.3, Section 2.2.6 (Sequence Types) describes slices which have a specified step (to omit some indexes in beteween), using the notation s[i:j:k]. The note about how this works says: "The slice of s from i to j with step k is defined as the sequence of items with index x = i + n*k such that 0 <= n < abs(i-j). [...]" Seems to me that "0 <= n < abs(i-j)" is wrong, since the range of n gets multiplied by k. I would suggest that it should be something like: "x = i + n, such that n is a multiple of k and 0 <= n < abs(i-j)" or maybe...