XILINX slice structure detaild description

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi
I would like to know if any of you knows a good paper (app note etc.)
that describes the xilinx slice sturcture in details, I know the
general cell architecture (e.g. - two LUTs, Two regs and carry logic)
but I wanted to get a lot more fimiliar with the architecture and
functionally of each logic element in the cell, for example how exactly
does the carry logic is structured etc.

The reason for this qeustion is that I want to implement arithmetic
block using as less logic and routing as possible
I wonder if there is an application note that explains how to code and
route your arithmetic functions in a way that is best suitable for the
xilinx chip (spartan 2E).

So if any of any of you is fimiliar with such a paper I will be
grateful for a link.

Regards
MC

0
Reply MC 12/15/2004 10:22:02 AM

See related articles to this posting

MC wrote:

>Hi
>I would like to know if any of you knows a good paper (app note etc.)
>that describes the xilinx slice sturcture in details, I know the
>general cell architecture (e.g. - two LUTs, Two regs and carry logic)
>but I wanted to get a lot more fimiliar with the architecture and
>functionally of each logic element in the cell, for example how exactly
>does the carry logic is structured etc.
>
>The reason for this qeustion is that I want to implement arithmetic
>block using as less logic and routing as possible
>I wonder if there is an application note that explains how to code and
>route your arithmetic functions in a way that is best suitable for the
>xilinx chip (spartan 2E).
>
>So if any of any of you is fimiliar with such a paper I will be
>grateful for a link.
>
>Regards
>MC

No need to study a paper on this.  Open the FPGA editor tool.  All the
information you need is there.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950

                                          -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

0
Reply Ray 12/15/2004 2:22:37 PM
comp.arch.fpga 18425 articles. 20 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

about slices in xilinx
hi all, i have a doubt regarding no.of slices in xlinx what are slices? what are LUT? in xilinx 1)the no.of slice constant in every version or does it vary? 2)can the area of an architecture be decreased if we say no.of slices are decreased. is this type of approach is correct? or 3) how can we say a area of architecture is decreased? 4)i am implementing project which is having the no.of slices in order of hundreds. where as the previous technique implemented have the no.of slices in order of thousands from this can we conclude that the area is decreased. please kindly answer. my...

Xilinx Spartan Logic Cell/Slice vs. Xilinx CPLD Macrocell
Hello all, knowing that one Spartan-3-FPGA-Slice stands for 2.25 Logic Cells, how can I convert this into a Xilinx CPLD Macrocell? Example: Using an i2c-module with 150 Slices in a Spartan-3, which CPLD Device (number of Macrocells) would be sufficient? Haven't found any reference at xilinx or google. Thanks for any feedback, Richard "Eric" <ca9@gmx.de> wrote in message news:LeCdnY3PC6QpebvUnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@giganews.com... > Hello all, > > knowing that one Spartan-3-FPGA-Slice stands for 2.25 Logic Cells, how can > I convert this into a Xilinx CPLD Macr...

Xilinx multiplier out of slices
Hi, I'm new to the Xilinx tools. How do I tell Xilinx ISE 7.1 to synthesise the following statement: y <= a * b; to NOT use dedicated multipliers? Thanks a bunch, Pete Pete, Synplify uses an attribute called syn_multsyle. I know this doesn't answer your question but it might help in your google searches? Good luck, Syms. "Peter Sommerfeld" <psommerfeld@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114204591.770429.197140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I'm new to the Xilinx tools. How do I tell Xilinx ISE 7.1 to synthesise > the following statemen...

Xilinx Slice and Altera ...?
Hi Sorry to bother the group with something I really should have been able to figure out myself, but I'm sort of pressed for time, so I hope you bear with me. I have some (limited) knowledge of the (modern) Xilinx Virtex 'Slice', and how it is constructed, so to speak. But how similar is the Altera FPGAs' building blocks, and what are they called? Oh, and how, if at all, similar are the two? Panic wrote: > > Hi > > Sorry to bother the group with something I really should have been able to > figure out myself, but I'm sort of pressed for time, so I hop...

gate/xilinx slice
Hi, What is the usual ratio to know how many gate does a design represent when we get the number of xilinx slice needed?? Regards, Alexis kcl wrote: > Hi, > > What is the usual ratio to know how many gate does a design represent when > we get the number of xilinx slice needed?? > > Regards, > > Alexis Here we go again... There have been many discussions on design gate equivalents and how the "gates" in a part relate between manufacturers. You can't really relate the slice count in a design to gates, because the gate count depends on what resour...

How to introduce delay in Structural description ?
Hi all, The follwing code is simple 2-input and gate model. Here I am having doubt. begin t1 : and4 port map ( in1, in2, out1 ); t2 : and_output port map ( out1,out2); end and_arch ; I know these two instance t1,t2 will be executed concurrently at 0 ns simulation time.But here T1 instance will execute at 0ns simulation time.t2 instance will execute after updated the value from out1.So Here I need to introduce some delay to execute the t2 instance at some simulation time. How to introduce delay at instance t1? Give me some ideas to proceed further? regards, priya -------...

VHDL description of an array structure
Hi, I'm writing VHDL code to describe a system of which the structure is an array of some building blocks.The inputs and outputs of such a building block may be about 10 bits wide.And there will be around 100 of these building blocks in the structure.So is there a smart way to do this instead of instantiating every one of them and porting map them together?coz otherwise it'll be a lot of copy-paste and quite error-prone. panthera panthera wrote: > Hi, > > I'm writing VHDL code to describe a system of which the structure is an > array of some building blocks.The inp...

Data structure for Earth slice data
I'd like to use Mathematica to solve this problem: What's a good data structure/methodology for representing "slices" of the Earth? More specific example: the set of points that are less than 1600 miles from Chicago AND less than 1000 miles from Albuquerque AND less than 800 miles from Dallas. Obviously, the description above is one way to represent the data, but it's not very useful. I want a representation that will: % Tell me if a given latitude/longitude is inside or outside the set. % For a given latitude, tell me what longitudes (if any) are ...

Misleading description of [i:j:k] slicing?
As of Python 2.3, Section 2.2.6 (Sequence Types) describes slices which have a specified step (to omit some indexes in beteween), using the notation s[i:j:k]. The note about how this works says: "The slice of s from i to j with step k is defined as the sequence of items with index x = i + n*k such that 0 <= n < abs(i-j). [...]" Seems to me that "0 <= n < abs(i-j)" is wrong, since the range of n gets multiplied by k. I would suggest that it should be something like: "x = i + n, such that n is a multiple of k and 0 <= n < abs(i-j)" or maybe...

Type 33 Element Structure Description ?
Does anyone have access to the element structure description of a type 33 dimension element ? I can find numerous descriprions of the other element types, but the type 33 element description is always missing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ken ...

Where can I find a description of the !MAP structure tags?
Hi folks, I'm trying to use and adapt IDL mapping module to produce planetary map products. Where can I find a description of the !MAP structure tags? IDL documentation doesn't say a word and I can't find anything anywhere. :'( Thanks in advance, Nicolas Nicolas writes: > I'm trying to use and adapt IDL mapping module to produce planetary > map products. > Where can I find a description of the !MAP structure tags? > IDL documentation doesn't say a word and I can't find anything > anywhere. :'( I think you are looking in the...

descriptions of TRS-80 DOS Directory Structures?
I am surprised that I can't find a clear description of the file system structures for each of the various TRS-80 dirctory structures. There is a good description of TRSDOS 1.3's filesystem breakdown: http://www.trs-80.com/trs80-pd.htm#mod3dir And there are good comments about NEWSDOS/80 directory structure in the SU+ manual under "CONFIGURING SUPER UTILITY PLUS": http://www.tim-mann.org/trs80/doc/su3man.txt But I don't seem to see a consise breakdown of the differences between each DOS's file system structures. Even the password hashing info for ...

Xilinx dedicated multiers vs multipliers in slice fabric
Hello folks, Found a load of archived posts on this topic. I was wondering what the current thoughts are on what is ultimately faster: (a) dedicated 18x18 multipliers (b) 18x18 pipelined multiplier in slice logic Also, are there any advantages/disadvantages you can think of between the two options other than the following: (1) If all dedicated multipliers are used, you have no choice but to use slice logic (2) Power considerations? Thanks for your time, Ken In article <bm1b5h$352$1@dennis.cc.strath.ac.uk>, Ken <aeu96186_MENOWANTSPAM@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > >Hello fo...

XML for VHDL documention and structural description of Hardware SoC
Hi VHDL GNU men, Amontec is interested to build an auto-documentation of our VHDL libraries, cell-by-cell. The documentation will stay basic, like : general description port description generic description implementation description license description note description The goal is to do a interface documentation for the end-user. Now, we know the power of XML for this kind of documentation. The advantage of XML is the structural view like VHDL. Having a VHDL library documented in a XML format, we will be able to describe the hardware of a SoC very quickly, and to ask XML to re-generate ...

How many Altera LE's to Xilinx Slices????
Hello All, I've been designing with Xilinx FPGAs for a while so I'm used to the "Slice" concept. I'm looking at Altera's Max II as a nice possible solution for a design. I took my VHDL code and it synthesized to 40 Slices in a Spartan III. Then I took the same code and sythesized it for a Max II (using Quartus II now) and it was 71 LE's. I realize a blanket statement 71 LE's (approx. =) 40 Slices, is totaly dependant on how the code is sysnthesized. But is a approximate 1 Slice = 2 LE's a pretty close all around estimate. Thanks Eric Hi Eric, > B...

8 pit PWM generator in one Xilinx Slice !
source is added to "xilcores" project at http://gforge.openchip.org/projects/xilcores/ this mini IP-core is not "done by Antti" so its user contribution and very well done, better documented, can be used in simulations and even uses RLOC to get max density and performance out. Antti PS the FpgaFreqMeter is also updated and hopefully fixes the problems with jtag chain where FPGA is not last (like the digilent board etc) UUPS!! not 1 slice but 1 CLB !! (eg 4 slices) antti "Antti Lukats" <antti@openchip.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d33atl$fub$01$1@n...

Xilinx Spartan 3 CLB Slice Options
Hi, I am implementing a particular voice compression algorithm in a Spartan 3 FPGA and am directly instantiating Xilinx primatives to get the best (and most reliable) performance, I hope. The spartan 3 datasheet provides a "Figure 6: Simplified Diagram of the Left-Hand SLICEM". This info is good but I'm wanting more detail than is provided in this diagram. The datasheet hints there is more "Options to invert signal polarity .... are not shown". Is there any documentation that gives an even more detailed view of the Spartan 3 Slice? (I've googled without success so f...

What is the best application notes or patents filed by Xilinx to disclose Vertex-5 Slice L
Hi, When I am turning to Xilinx Virtex-5 new chips from Virtex-II, I would like to know which patents filed by Xilinx to disclose the contents of Slice L. Slice M is too complex for me to fully understand at the moment and just knowledge of Slice L is good enough for me to start with Virtex-5 as basic knowledge for it. Thank you. Weng Is page 158 of the Virtex-5 User Guide http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/userguides/ug190.pdf just too darned simple for you? Are you trying to understand the operation of the part from the detailed silicon level tricks that may or may not be applicable...

structures, structures and more structures (questions about nested structures)
Hi, I have the ff data types : typedef enum { VAL_LONG , VAL_DOUBLE , VAL_STRING , VAL_DATASET }ValueTypeEnum ; typedef union { long lval ; double fval ; char* sval ; void* ptr ; } Value ; typedef struct { int magic ; int version ; }Header ; typedef struct { char label[20] ; id int ; }Key ; typedef struct { Header *hdr ; char *subject ; int subject_len ; Key key ; ValueTypeEnum type ; Value value ; int text_len ; int size ; }MotherStruct ; If I have a variable declared as ff: MotherStruct *pMS = calloc(1,sizeof(MotherStruct*)) ; 1). Do I have to al...

Creating descriptions from descriptions
First some defining and describing. Some of you may disagree with some of this, or have something to add: ----- AI must be able to do description(s) from a (set of) description(s), with procedure(s) which have a result/output that can be subjected to the same procedure(s) (loop-able). User of AI gives first description (set) and some descriptions have tendency to cause output descriptions that are bigger in every loop. The procedures have at least 2 kind of input: the aforementioned descriptions and parts of database. ----- That description fits to AGIs and to some kinds of AIs, but in whi...

indexing structure of structures
Hello group, I am analyzing a bunch of data from an experimental series. The analysis from each experiment (numbers a,b,c,... etc) is stored in a structure. For reasons that have little to do with foresight and expedience, I decided to store all the individual structures in one large structure (This allows me to add some more fluff). My problem is how to extract the parameter 'a' to plot it. I was hoping that an array indexing method such as outer_struct.([1,4,8,12]).a would work, but it does not. So I am re-packaging the outer structure as a vector of inner_structures. Am I m...

creating structures from structures
I have two cell arrays, lists of variable names that I would like to create in a structure, so I can store data in them. Example: test1 = {'red'; 'yellow'; 'black';} test2 = {'one'; 'two'; 'three'; 'four';} To be stored in a structure, like: test3 |_ .one |_ .two |_ .three |_ .four |________.red | |_ .one | |_ .two | |_ .three | |_ .four | |________.yellow | |_ .one | |_ .two | |_ .three | |_ .four | |________.black |_ .one |_ .two |_ .three |_ .four ...

event structure in case structure
Hello I have a tab Control connected to a case structure. On one tab i have some Radio Buttons. The Radio Button Control is connected to a second case structure.&nbsp;There are also three numeric controls. Every time one of these controls change values I have to calculate something. So, I decided to use an event structure. (See picture) I have now the problem, that the VI doesnt react on the stop Button correctly. Sometimes it reacts on it and sometimes it doesnt. Then I have to change a value to end the VI. Is there another way to detect if a numeric control's value changed? &nbsp...

structure arrays with different structures
Hi all, I'm having some data that's gathered together in different structures and a= rrays, and I want to collect everything in a structure array in this manner= : struct_template =3D { name:'', select:{} , obs:dblarr(2,100)} I want to put my data into struct_template, with name being a string, selec= t being another structure, and obs being an array. I then want to make an array of structures using struct_template, but natur= ally with different sets of data. The issue is that the select structure does not always have the same skelet= on, nor does the obs a...