disable hardware compression on VXA-2 tape drive

Has anyone managed to disable the hardware compression
on the Exabyte VXA-2 tape drive ?  I just maxed out the
tape at 116 GB.  I suspect that I might get better compression
from my Backup Exec software.

Thanks,
Lynn McGuire

0
Lynn
2/9/2004 4:14:58 PM
comp.arch.storage 2442 articles. 0 followers. howachen (521) is leader. Post Follow

"Lynn McGuire" <NOSPAM.winsim@NOSPAM.winsim.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone managed to disable the hardware compression
> on the Exabyte VXA-2 tape drive ?  I just maxed out the
> tape at 116 GB.  I suspect that I might get better compression
> from my Backup Exec software.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn McGuire

You can with vxaTool, available from www.exabyte.com. You do need to execute
it each time the machine starts up as the drive defaults to compression
enabled.

Rob

0
Rob
2/10/2004 12:49:12 PM
> You can with vxaTool, available from www.exabyte.com. You do need to execute
> it each time the machine starts up as the drive defaults to compression
> enabled.

I did try that.  Apparently it either does not work or Backup Exec
does not respect it.  It would be nice if it was a permanent change
to the tape drive.

Thanks,
Lynn

0
Lynn
2/10/2004 3:53:46 PM
> > You can with vxaTool, available from www.exabyte.com. You do need to
execute
> > it each time the machine starts up as the drive defaults to compression
> > enabled.
>
> I did try that.  Apparently it either does not work or Backup Exec
> does not respect it.  It would be nice if it was a permanent change
> to the tape drive.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

I'll check if there's a way to permanently set compression mode. If there
is, I'll add it to vxaTool.

Rob

0
Rob
2/10/2004 6:17:36 PM
> I'll check if there's a way to permanently set compression mode. If there
> is, I'll add it to vxaTool.

Cool !  I am running Windows XP.

THanks,
Lynn McGuire

0
Lynn
2/10/2004 6:32:09 PM
> > I'll check if there's a way to permanently set compression mode. If
there
> > is, I'll add it to vxaTool.
>
> Cool !  I am running Windows XP.
>
> THanks,
> Lynn McGuire

You've got mail....

0
Rob
2/11/2004 9:59:34 AM
> > > I'll check if there's a way to permanently set compression mode. If
> there
> > > is, I'll add it to vxaTool.
> >
> > Cool !  I am running Windows XP.
> >
> > THanks,
> > Lynn McGuire
> >

> You've got mail....

I did not see anything.  Try removing the spam from NOSPAM.winsim@NOSPAM.winsim.com .

Also, I have my email server set to automatically delete all emails
containing exe files (after I got 4000 virus emails one weekend).
Please zip the exe if so !

Thanks,
Lynn

0
Lynn

hardware compression for VXA-2 tape drive
Does hardware compression work for anyone on the Exabyte VXA-2 tape drive ? I am using the internal VXA-2 tape drive on a Windows XP Pro PC with the Veritas Backup Exec software (version 4.5). Thanks, Lynn ...

AIT2 or 3 tape drives vs VXA-2
Anyone have any advice on VXA-2 tape drives versus AIT 2 or 3? The AIT 3 drives are more expensive (also faster and greater capacity), but the tapes are cheaper than VXA, even though VXA is less capacity. VXA is Exabyte only, while AIT is Sony, but AIT seems to have been shared with some other manufacturers like HP. Someone told me HP dropped AIT recently though. Does anyone have any info on which is more reliable, and which might be around longer? We're moving up from DDS-4. Thanks! --Randy Starkey > Anyone have any advice on VXA-2 tape drives versus AIT 2 or 3?...

FA: Exabte VXA-2 SCSI tape drive (up to 160gb staorage)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8763533950 ...

How to enable hardware compression on Sony SDX-400C AIT-1 tape drive?
Hello, i'd like to switch on the hardware compression of my Sony SDX-400C AIT-1 tape drive. But how? I'm using 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel on Debian Lenny. I tried switching on the compression with mt-st (V1.1): # mt-st -f /dev/nst0 compression on # echo $? 0 But nothing changed. mt-st -f /dev/nst0 compression without further argument didn't show any result. Even # mt-st -f /dev/nst0 compression Dasfsf didn't report any error. So this command seems to be totally meaningless to the drive. Density code is 0x30: # mt-st -f /dev/nst0 status SCSI 2 tape drive: File n...

IBM PS/2 2.3GB EXTERNAL TAPE DRIVE
IBM 2.3GB EXTERNAL TAPE DRIVE 3532023 46G2318 New open http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5165730336&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 These are new in box and the box says "PS/2 tape drive." They are really Exabytes 8200. Comes with floppy disk, 2 cartridges, 1 cleaning cartridge, and manual. The only problem with them is that the enclosure has one, not two, SCSI port. You need to use a corresponding cable. Dan ...

Gigabit/USB 2.0 external 500GB drive/storage less than $400? #2
Hi, i am trying to find a network drive that is gigabit capable, that also (though i am willing to do without) has USB2.0 and is around 500GB. I didn't think this would be so difficult and i can find something like this but it is only 100Mb/Ethernet for $350+ everything else seems to start in the $500+ area. Any suggestions would really be appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko ...

Remote tape drive? #2
Quick question: I have data on a DLT tape that I want to restore on to my 928. The problem is that my 928 doesn't have a DLT drive on it. However my 979 does. Because I have the Full-Blown version of NS/3000 on both machines, I should be able to restore data from the remote 979 DLT drive to my local 928, right? So, from my 928; :REMOTE HELLO MICHAEL,MANAGER.SYS;DSLINE=HP979 {enter the passwords} :FILE RTAPE;DEV=HP979#11 :RESTORE *RTAPE;O@.OUT.HPSPOOL;KEEP;OLDDATE;SHOW;PROGRESS The results leave me with the following error msg. LABELED MEDIA IS NOT CURRENTLY SUPPORTED ...

DLT tape drive #2
Fellow listers: I am looking at replacing our DDS drives with DLT, but we need something= that will store approx. 160 gb of data (full each night). I've seen som= e of the newer SDLT drives that store gobbs of data, but are they compat= ible with HP3K? Any thoughts and ideas are welcome! = TIA, Wesley Setree _____________________________________________________________ Celebrate the season with the perfect Christmas gift. Click now! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iigQzdX3kpAIR1Dr040NcCr= xbUPXplb9RoR9pSijupQNwCkMb/ * To join/leave the list, search archi...

Sony Tape Drive Compression
This group appears more suited to this question than comp.compression... I have a Sony AIT-2 SCSI tape drive using 50/120 GB tapes and Retrospect Backup 6.0. Sony's compression ratio is advertised as 2.6. The maximum I've ever gotten on a tape using hardware compression is around 57 GB. I realize compression is dependent on file type, and I am backup up a mix of non-compressed and compressed files. But, out of curiosity, what have others seen using this drive? Using a backup of an operating system drive (w/ no user data) as a reference may make comparison easier. Tha...

N40 and 2 QIC525 tape drives.....
CT can't read.......... Set up the above combination and made a tape using "smit backup". The issued the command "restore -Tvf" and the tape is being read and displayed as we speak listing every file backed up. In the other tape drive is an installation tape (Volume 2) that I received with my 220 which is a part of AIX 3.2.5. If I issue the command "restore -Tvf" to that drive, I receive the error message "Volume on dev/rmt0 is not in backup format"....... That being the case, can someone tell me which format the files may be in, and how I can read them? CT the again-bewildered Tim Knight/CT wrote: > CT can't read.......... > > Set up the above combination and made a tape using "smit backup". The > issued the command "restore -Tvf" and the tape is being read and > displayed as we speak listing every file backed up. > > In the other tape drive is an installation tape (Volume 2) that I > received with my 220 which is a part of AIX 3.2.5. If I issue the > command "restore -Tvf" to that drive, I receive the error message > "Volume on dev/rmt0 is not in backup format"....... > > That being the case, can someone tell me which format the files may be > in, and how I can read them? > > CT the again-bewildered > I think you need to add the -s switch to the above command. I think you need to use 3 or 4...

SCSI tape drive error #2
The L9 tape drive occured the following messages in the /var/adm/messages . Some times it shows "Sense Key: Soft Errors" and some times it shows "Sense Key: Hard Errors". When this happens, L9 cannot load the tapes. Even when the slot is empty, it still shows there is something there. We have to power the L9 off and on, then we can load the tapes. Could some one give some advices? Thanks! ******************************************************************************************** Feb 8 08:32:47 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@1e,600000/scsi@3/sst@0,0 (s...

Tape device handling (end of tape) in 2.4 / 2.6 problem
Hi, are there any changes in how "end of tape" is handled between 2.4 and 2.6 kernel versions? HP Dateprotector can not handle the end of tape which is reportet by kernel 2.6... And they pretend that it is a kernel problem: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=826005 Regards, Markus Kretzer ...

Re: DDS tape drive #2
I am assuming the dds2 drive is not working since you don't actually say it. You say you are not getting the "Volume mounted on ldev 7" message. Presumably, you have actually tried reading/writing from/to the drive. A "brand new" DDS2 drive? Only if stored unused for many years, since it's been quite a while since they've been manufactured. In any case, new or not, that drive is notoriously unreliable, so it would not be surprising it's not working. At 11:22 AM 2003-11-14, Greg Terterian wrote: >As of yesterday (it was ok before that), ...

VXA-2 tape really full ?
I am backing up several PCs using Backup Exec for Workstations (version 4.61) to an Exabyte VXA-2 tape. I just started getting the message that the tape is full and it wants me to insert another tape. In theory, this is an 80 GB tape drive and I am using the VXA-2 80GB tape. This problem started happening using hardware compression and continues to happen using software compression. Backup Exec says that the tape is full at 1,683,781 files with 102,255,765,292 bytes with 1.89 : 1 software compression. I am totally surprised that I cannot write at least 150 Gb to the tape. Is ...

Re: Remote tape drive? #2
--- Michael Anderson <MichaelA@springisd.org> wrote: > So the question is; > What am I doing wrong here, or is there another method to restore > files from a remote tape drive? you can't used labelled tapes when using remote tape drives. - d ===== Donna Garverick Sr. System Programmer dgarverick -at- longs -dot- com 925-210-6631 Longs Drug Stores Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world. Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho' We are not now that strength which in old days Moved earth and heaven, that which ...

LTO2 Tape Drive Part 2
Folks, Following on from a recent post - I was attempting to attach a new LTO2 Tape Drive and after much work it's now showing up as defined. When I try and configure the device through SMIT I get the following error... Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. Method error (/etc/methods/cfgAtape): 0514-022 The specified connection is not valid. Would anyone have any ideas about what I can do to resolve this? Let me know, Thanks James Is the tape OK? Can you look at any errors related to the ...

What tape should I buy to an AIT-2 drive
We've been using an AIT-2 drive for five years now and need to buy more tapes. The question is which AIT version of tapes we should buy? The Wikipedia says that AIT is both forward and backwards compatible, but doesn't really specify what that means. Would we gain anything by getting AIT-3, 4 or 5 tapes in terms of capacity, or should we stick with AIT-2 tapes? Or -- is it about time to get a new backup storage system altogether? //rasmus On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:59:13 -0700 (PDT), Rsellberg <rasmus.sellberg@daytona.se> wrote: > We've been using an AIT-2 d...

DDS-3 Tape Drive Problem #2
Thanks to one and all who replied so promptly to my dilemma. I removed the tape drive, unplugged the power connector and the scsi cable and then reconnected them again. Rebooted the system and the message said "configured and available" So once the system was up I tried a backup with the store command and ouila(!) IT WORKED !! Can't believe it.......... Thanks to everyone, you all know who you are........ Brian. Yes, this posting is actually on topic, sorry about that..... My box is a 917LX. The DDS-3 Tape drive stop...

Hardware Inspector 2.2
Is your IT inventory growing out of control? Do you need to know the exact configuration of all PCs in your network? Are you looking for an automated IT inventory tracking solution for your corporate IT equipment? Take a close look at Hardware Inspector - a powerful inventory tracking automation solution used by hundreds of IT administrators in every industry imaginable. Hardware Inspector tracks PCs, their configuration, hardware installed, serial numbers for IT equipment or their parts and other critical IT inventory data. With Hardware Inspector, there is no need to enter all...

what tapes for salvaged tape drive?
Hello all, I recently acquired a front loading tape drive from an 8 year old high end business desktop PC. I want to use it for backups, but I have never used tape storage before and don't know how to find out what kind of tapes I need. I know this is a sequential access medium, so my basic plan just involves dumping compressed disk images onto the tapes. How would I go about finding the right tape for my drive? Thank you for your time, Elijah Rutschman elijahr@gmail.com writes: > I recently acquired a front loading tape drive from an 8 year old > high end bu...

Disabling USB memory drives in windows #2
Hi Guys, It has been always a challenge to disable to USB drives on the employees PCs specifically using memory sticks without disabling the USB keyboard, mouse etc. The following article explains how to do that. A good read. http://knowurtech.com/windows/disabling_usb.html Cheers!! Dinesh ...

symbios sym22801 + lto-2 tape drive
Hi there. I'm trying to connect a scsi pci card to my pc. Tye card is detec= ted by bios an can access to its settings. When i plug the cable scsi 68pin= internal... It hangs at scsi card post, even if nothing is connected to th= e other side of this cable. I'm not an scsi expert, so i would appreciate a= ny help. I think that the problem should be the scsi cable but not sure if = i'm doing something wrong regarding the compatibility between the card and = my pc (asus p5q deluxe) info@tournride.com wrote: > > Hi there. I'm trying to connect a scsi pci card to ...

Problem communicating with AIT tape drive. #2
I have an AIT drive that I can't communicate with anymore. It's been a few weeks since I last used it. My Sun can't see the drive. I'm running Solaris 2.6. I haven't changed devices or anything. I haven't touched the machine physically. I did a <boot-r> to reconfigure the system. When I type <dmesg>, the drive is not in the list. I shutdown the machine and did a <probe-scsi-all> . I can see the drive. It's on a chain with two other tape drives. Both of those drives work fine. Can anyone give some advice on what I should try to do to get the drive up and running again. I assume it's a software OS problem since I can see the drive with probe-scsi-all. Any advice would be appreciated. Peter ...

SDLT 320 Tape Drive Issues #2
Hello, Davies did wrote: >>> It seems that after a tape is used for a backup - the drive will no longer accept the tape. If you put it in - it spits it right back out after a few seconds. <<< We do have SDLT320 for our OpenVMS backup. We do use it without any problem. I did see your behavior only with a bad media. Did you try other media? Did you a visual check of your media? Best regards R. Wingert ...

Web resources about - disable hardware compression on VXA-2 tape drive - comp.arch.storage

Compression (physical) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Physical compression is the result of the subjection of a material or structure to compressive stress , which results in reduction of volume ...

VESA Releases DisplayPort 1.4 Standard: DisplayPort Adds Compression & HDR
One of the more interesting aspects of the DisplayPort standards is how the VESA has the separate but strongly intertwined DisplayPort and Embedded ...

Reduce data usage, turn on data compression in Chrome – Android customization
The web browser can be a major data user on our devices, this Android customization post will show you how to turn on data compression in Chrome, ...

Opera Max Now Supports Data Compression For Netflix And YouTube Video
Opera Max has been out for a while, and it's been helpful to those who find themselves running low on data each billing cycle. This app uses ...

Google launches Brotli, a new open source compression algorithm to speed up the web
As websites and online services become ever more demanding, the need for compression increases exponentially. Fans of Silicon Valley will be ...

China Mobile, Huawei and Qualcomm, Debut Uplink Data Compression on 4G Network
China Mobile, Huawei and Qualcomm, Debut Uplink Data Compression on 4G Network Cellular News China Mobile, along with Huawei and Qualcomm announced ...

Opera Mini browser for Android gets new data compression tech
The latest version for the mobile browser adds a new High compression mode that minimises data expenditure without affecting the page display. ...

Google to boost compression performance in Chrome 49
Google yesterday announced that a new in-house compression algorithm, dubbed "Brotli," will soon be added to Chrome to speed up page loading ...

Netflix’s New Video Compression Strategy
Don Melton: The tl;dr of it all is simply that Netflix plans on scaling bitrates up and down based on the complexity of their video. So, slightly ...

Opera Mini's built-in video compression finally hits Android
More than a year after hitting iOS, Opera is finally bringing its innovative video compression feature to its Android browser, Opera Mini. You'll ...