Are there any research group focus on architecture or parallel processing in German?

Hi, all

I'm considering Ph.D. study in German. To match my background, I need find a
research group focus on architecture or parallel processing to support my
study. Who can kindly provide me some information about such institute in
German?

Thanks

0
Ma
8/9/2004 7:38:18 AM
comp.arch 7611 articles. 0 followers. carchreader (32) is leader. Post Follow

In article <cf79tk$g1v$1@news01.intel.com>,
Ma, Jing <majing_student@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
>I'm considering Ph.D. study in German. To match my background, I need find a
>research group focus on architecture or parallel processing to support my
>study. Who can kindly provide me some information about such institute in
>German?

Oh, there are numerous places.
I've not yet visited any of them yet, but I may in the near future.
I think in general most try to balance pragmatism and theory (in some
ways more in theory, but I can think of counter examples).

Berlin, Mannheim, Kaiserslautern, Paderborn, Darmstadt, Tubingen,
Karlsruhe, Hamburg, Munchen, Stuttgart,  Koblenz-Landau, Lubeck,
Dortmund, Juelich, Aachen, Erlangen, Bonn, Bochum, Cologne, ad nauseum.
Some of this is likely no longer current, but easily checked.

Also consider Swiss, Austrian, and other institutions.

eugene
8/22/2004 7:26:20 PM
Eugene Miya in <4128f35c$1@darkstar>:
> Berlin, Mannheim, Kaiserslautern, Paderborn, Darmstadt, Tubingen,
> Karlsruhe, Hamburg, Munchen, Stuttgart,  Koblenz-Landau, Lubeck,
> Dortmund, Juelich, Aachen, Erlangen, Bonn, Bochum, Cologne, ad nauseum.
> Some of this is likely no longer current, but easily checked.

It seems that Eugene has so far only come to know the western part of
Germany... ;-) About every university in Germany has more than one
"Lehrstuhl" or "Institut" doing research on parallel processing in one way
or another. You'll need to find the one with *your* preferred focus and
reputation yourself.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/www/de/aussenpolitik/kulturpolitik/wissenschaft/index_html
might help you. Note that you can not get a PhD on "Fachhochschulen", only
on "Hochschulen" and "Universit´┐Żten". And that knowledge of the German
language is very helpful (you might even say mandatory) for a successful
stay, although the research and part of the teaching is done on english.

 Joachim

--
reply to joachim at domain ccrl-nece dot de

Opinion expressed is personal and does not constitute
an opinion or statement of NEC Laboratories.
0
Joachim
8/23/2004 7:51:02 AM
In article <1420880.EoeYi2OQ9H@hubble.ccrl-nece.de>,
Joachim Worringen  <see.signature.for.address@ccrl-nece.de> wrote:
>Eugene Miya in <4128f35c$1@darkstar>:
>> Berlin, Mannheim, Kaiserslautern, Paderborn, Darmstadt, Tubingen,
>> Karlsruhe, Hamburg, Munchen, Stuttgart,  Koblenz-Landau, Lubeck,
>> Dortmund, Juelich, Aachen, Erlangen, Bonn, Bochum, Cologne, ad nauseum.
>> Some of this is likely no longer current, but easily checked.
>
>It seems that Eugene has so far only come to know the western part of
>Germany... ;-)

Well my accounting started before the end of the Cold War.
But let's put it this way: I have access to one of the few Robotrons,
and I am asked to actively seek out the historic artifacts of Eastern
Bloc computing.  And you might guess there are some other issues
involved in accounting.  The sites are far from complete hence the
"ad nauseum."

>About every university in Germany has more than one
>"Lehrstuhl" or "Institut" doing research on parallel processing in one way
>or another.

Actually visiting many of these sites is a different issue.
The Swiss very nicely invited me to their various institutions following
a vacation (on my 2nd trip back).  I have a small, limited, set of
sites in Germany and Austria that I may visit (Bochum, Munchen [friends
there], and for history likely the Siemens, Nixdorf Museum), but this
is otherwise on invitation or time off from skiing.

I'd like to bring a SUPRENUM over, but the Museum doesn't have money for
that kind of acquistion.  The German government (DFG maybe?) would have to
do that (the Swiss govt. did something similar).  I would really like to
get a French Dataflow machine.

>You'll need to find the one with *your* preferred focus and
>reputation yourself.

I have to agree.

>http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/www/de/aussenpolitik/kulturpolitik/wissenschaft/index_html

>And that knowledge of the German
>language is very helpful (you might even say mandatory) for a successful
>stay, although the research and part of the teaching is done on english.

The Swiss aren't particular.  They like practicing their English,
even in the French and Italian parts of their country.
Unfrotunately, they aren't as large a country as Germany and so have
fewer projects.

--
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install,