New Intel compilers for x86-64

Intel's compiler suite now has support available for x64 systems. It also
looks like Intel is playing nice for right now, and not doing anything to
prevent their code from working on AMD systems. Versions available for Linux
and Windows, even though Windows for x64 isn't due out till 2005.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5393204.html?tag=default

    Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

0
Yousuf
10/2/2004 6:13:13 AM
comp.arch 7611 articles. 0 followers. carchreader (32) is leader. Post Follow

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :

> Intel's compiler suite now has support available for x64 systems.

btw, you can compile kernel with ICC (heawy hacks but works, 10% faster
on average).

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019
RusH wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :
>
>> Intel's compiler suite now has support available for x64 systems.
>
> btw, you can compile kernel with ICC (heawy hacks but works, 10%
> faster on average).

10% faster compilation or 10% faster kernel?

    Yousuf Khan

0
Yousuf
10/2/2004 9:47:23 PM
"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :

> RusH wrote:
>> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :
>>
>>> Intel's compiler suite now has support available for x64 systems.
>>
>> btw, you can compile kernel with ICC (heawy hacks but works, 10%
>> faster on average).
>
> 10% faster compilation or 10% faster kernel?

kernel :)
there were 2 slowdowns out of >10 tests, its in Linux Magazine Poland
this month :)
http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=16
&message.id=1504
http://www.pyrillion.org/index.html?showframe=linuxkernelpatch.html

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019
RusH
10/3/2004 12:50:26 AM
RusH wrote:

> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> RusH wrote:

>>> btw, you can compile kernel with ICC (heavy hacks but works,
>>> 10% faster on average).
>>
>> 10% faster compilation or 10% faster kernel?
>
> kernel :) there were 2 slowdowns out of >10 tests, it's in Linux
> Magazine Poland this month :)

Are there standard benchmarks for operating system kernels?

0
Grumble
10/3/2004 3:01:47 PM
Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote :

> Are there standard benchmarks for operating system kernels?

yes, Linus use them
everything is in the link i posted earlier

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019
RusH
10/3/2004 3:45:04 PM
RusH wrote:

> Grumble wrote:
>
>> Are there standard benchmarks for operating system kernels?
>
> yes, Linus use them
> everything is in the link i posted earlier

Call me dense :-)

I see no such reference.

0
Grumble
10/3/2004 5:55:53 PM
Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote :

> Call me dense :-)
>
> I see no such reference.

http://www.pyrillion.org/index.html?showframe=linuxkernelpatch.html

http://www.linux-magazin.de/

gotta buy the paper to read that :)
my fault

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019
RusH
10/3/2004 10:43:12 PM
You mean the AMD64 kernel or the i386 one?

0
Augustine