Time for me to upgrade... Choices, choices, choices??

Hi there all you tech heads.

I am after advice from "those in the know" about a box upgrade that I'm
considering.

Having being through this once before (and fluffing it with a 733 P3
just after P4 release) and missing any opportunity to make a meaningful
(cpu only) upgrade.  I  "NEED" to spend as little as possible on my
initial upgrade of Case, m/b, cpu (low budget), 512mb ddr & hdd.

I have a reasonable appreciation of the value of higher fsb, P4 hyper
threading and 64 bit 754 XP's, but don't have much of an idea as to
the comparative value of the 462 XP's 400fsb, particularly as relates
to P4 hyper threading and the likelihood of continuing production of
faster (compatible architecture) cpu's that might be supported by my
new m/b.  i.e.... I understand the risk of architecture redundancy if
I get it wrong and am trying to weigh the risk against the savings in
cost for the three different options.

Search and cost comparisons of local supply options for m/bs that
support the potential advances of the three options (together with a
desire to get 'off board graphics') are limiting me to low speed cpu's
around 1600 - 2000 with lower fsb.  This will be my most meaningful
upgrade (other than graphics, sound and ram), and I would like to be
in the hunt for a 3300+ + upgrade (if available).

I guess my question is simply..... are 462 XP's with dual channel cpu's
competitive enough (in your collective opinions) with P4 hyperthreading,
.....to minimise the risk of premature redundancy.

The specs I'm considering are as follows;

Gigabyte GA-7N400-L nForce Chipset 400 FSB Dual channel
Triplex 128Mb DDR GeForceFX 5200 8X w/TV-Out & DVI
Samsung 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80Gb Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8MB Cache

Topped off with an el cheapo AMD Athlon XP1800+ to 2000 Socket
462.... Which will get swapped out in about 6 to 12 months (hopefully to a
nice big fat XP4000+ socket 462.

I'll also add a Sound Blaster Audigy-2 Sound Card and possibly
upgrade the graphics card.

Please advise.

Colin

0
who.gives (368)
6/8/2004 6:41:02 PM
comp.arch 7611 articles. 0 followers. carchreader (32) is leader. Post Follow

In article <3Mnxc.1891$GB4.63093@news.xtra.co.nz>,
ur_droll <who.gives@fuck.co> wrote:
>Please advise.

Ask in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt?

Whatever you buy will be obsolete from the moment it arrives on your
doorstep regardless :)

Phil
phil
6/8/2004 8:06:07 PM
Colin,
why do you want to upgrade?

K.

--
FirstnameLastname@t-online.de
"ur_droll" <who.gives@fuck.co> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi there all you tech heads.
>
> I am after advice from "those in the know" about a box upgrade that I'm
> considering.
>
> Having being through this once before (and fluffing it with a 733 P3
> just after P4 release) and missing any opportunity to make a meaningful
> (cpu only) upgrade.  I  "NEED" to spend as little as possible on my
> initial upgrade of Case, m/b, cpu (low budget), 512mb ddr & hdd.
>
> I have a reasonable appreciation of the value of higher fsb, P4 hyper
> threading and 64 bit 754 XP's, but don't have much of an idea as to
> the comparative value of the 462 XP's 400fsb, particularly as relates
> to P4 hyper threading and the likelihood of continuing production of
> faster (compatible architecture) cpu's that might be supported by my
> new m/b.  i.e.... I understand the risk of architecture redundancy if
> I get it wrong and am trying to weigh the risk against the savings in
> cost for the three different options.
>
> Search and cost comparisons of local supply options for m/bs that
> support the potential advances of the three options (together with a
> desire to get 'off board graphics') are limiting me to low speed cpu's
> around 1600 - 2000 with lower fsb.  This will be my most meaningful
> upgrade (other than graphics, sound and ram), and I would like to be
> in the hunt for a 3300+ + upgrade (if available).
>
> I guess my question is simply..... are 462 XP's with dual channel cpu's
> competitive enough (in your collective opinions) with P4 hyperthreading,
> ....to minimise the risk of premature redundancy.
>

> The specs I'm considering are as follows;
>
> Gigabyte GA-7N400-L nForce Chipset 400 FSB Dual channel
> Triplex 128Mb DDR GeForceFX 5200 8X w/TV-Out & DVI
> Samsung 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80Gb Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8MB Cache
>
> Topped off with an el cheapo AMD Athlon XP1800+ to 2000 Socket
> 462.... Which will get swapped out in about 6 to 12 months (hopefully to a
> nice big fat XP4000+ socket 462.
>

> I'll also add a Sound Blaster Audigy-2 Sound Card and possibly
> upgrade the graphics card.
>

> Please advise.
>

> Colin

0
Klaus
6/8/2004 9:41:16 PM
My existing pc (3.5 yr old p3 733) has crap graphics, the hdd is full ,
the psu is about ready to die.... it's time to move on to better things.

I can't afford to do a decent one step upgrade and would prefer to
run with an option that is more likely to support incremental upgrades
that can take advantage of higher performance through ongoing
development of the cpu options.... preferably other than P4 HT and
 AMD 64 (which I can't seem to find affordable incremental
cpu, graphics and sound solutions for)

"Klaus Fehrle" <firstnamelastname@t-online.de> wrote in message
: Colin,
: why do you want to upgrade?
:
: K.
:
: --
: FirstnameLastname@t-online.de
: "ur_droll" <who.gives@fuck.co> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
: news:3Mnxc.1891$GB4.63093@news.xtra.co.nz...
: > Hi there all you tech heads.
: >
[...]

ur_droll
6/8/2004 11:13:35 PM
"Philip Armstrong" <phil@kantaka.co.uk> wrote in message
: In article <3Mnxc.1891$GB4.63093@news.xtra.co.nz>,
: ur_droll <who.gives@fuck.co> wrote:
: >Please advise.
:
: Ask in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt?
:
: Whatever you buy will be obsolete from the moment it arrives on your
: doorstep regardless :)
:

Thanks.... no doubt you are correct

0
ur_droll
6/9/2004 8:14:30 AM
Colin

--
> My existing pc (3.5 yr old p3 733) has crap graphics, the hdd is full ,
> the psu is about ready to die.... it's time to move on to better things.

I see.

> I can't afford to do a decent one step upgrade

From the above and the list of components in your previous posting it would
seem looking out for box-occasions would be the most affordable option you
have. And the easiest as well. Taking your preferences into consideration,
K7 offers what you need in terms of price/performance and upgradeability.

K.

0
Klaus
6/9/2004 11:04:38 AM
Thanks Klaus.... could you clarify what you mean by "box-occasions" ?

"Klaus Fehrle" <firstnamelastname@t-online.de> wrote in message
: Colin
:
: --
: FirstnameLastname@t-online.de
: "ur_droll" <who.gives@fuck.co> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
: news:HLrxc.1956$GB4.65924@news.xtra.co.nz...
: > My existing pc (3.5 yr old p3 733) has crap graphics, the hdd is full ,
: > the psu is about ready to die.... it's time to move on to better things.
: >
:
: I see.
:
: > I can't afford to do a decent one step upgrade
:
: From the above and the list of components in your previous posting it
would
: seem looking out for box-occasions would be the most affordable option you
: have. And the easiest as well. Taking your preferences into consideration,
: K7 offers what you need in terms of price/performance and upgradeability.
:
: K.
:
:

0
ur_droll
6/9/2004 1:10:08 PM
Last year's designs discounted by 30 to 50 percent from previous listprice.
You will find one every week if you look out for it.

K.

--
> Thanks Klaus.... could you clarify what you mean by "box-occasions" ?
>

> "Klaus Fehrle" <firstnamelastname@t-online.de> wrote in message
> : Colin
> :
> : --
> : FirstnameLastname@t-online.de
> : "ur_droll" <who.gives@fuck.co> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> : news:HLrxc.1956$GB4.65924@news.xtra.co.nz...
> : > My existing pc (3.5 yr old p3 733) has crap graphics, the hdd is full
,
> : > the psu is about ready to die.... it's time to move on to better
things.
> : >
> :
> : I see.
> :
> : > I can't afford to do a decent one step upgrade
> :
> : From the above and the list of components in your previous posting it
> would
> : seem looking out for box-occasions would be the most affordable option
you
> : have. And the easiest as well. Taking your preferences into
consideration,
> : K7 offers what you need in terms of price/performance and
upgradeability.
> :
> : K.
> :
> :

0
Klaus

Choices, choices, choices ...
Lectoribus Salutem, I was directed to this forum from comp.arch by one of your regulars, Joe Seigh, because of the following question: Given that you want to have a RA*S* (i.e., Reliable, Available and *Scalable* OS), how would you perform the following task on a ~100 CPU SMP machine: "Measure the number of instances of <some> kernel event" 1. You create a system wide single counter protected by a single system wide lock to keep track of the occurences of said event. 2. You create a processor-local counter of said event, and, in case you want to summarize system wide, sum the counters in the user space application and present them to the user. Please, discuss. Note that I'm not a regular of your newsgroup, so it's advisable to cc me if you have an answer different from the obvious .... -- Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290 Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG Maartensdijk, The Netherlands Maintainer, GNU Fortran 77: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/g77_news.html A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/ > 2. You create a processor-local counter of said event, and, in case > you want to summarize system wide, sum the counters in the user > space application and present them to the user. This would be one way to go. The contention on a single system wide lock would be very bad. If the counter is small enough to be modified by atomic ops.....

Choices, choices, choices
The battle has raged for years, inside the sacred virtual halls of CSMA and beyond, over who has the best computer platform. It's time to stop the silliness. Choices, we all have to make them. Even more fundamentally, we are making choices every moment. By reading this post, you are making a choice. The brand of computer and the software you are using are also choices. Every aspect of your life that led to the present moment is the consequence of past choices. Choice is even more certain than death and taxes, those after all also represent choices we make. (Yes, death is a choice, a...

[News] The Choice of Having No Choice
Microsoft's Ballmer preaches gospel of the rich client ,----[ Quote ] | With Microsoft and Intel we are the holy trinity - Jerry Sanders III, | ex-CEO of AMD | | [...] | | Microsoft is a rich server and Intel and AMD are rich clients. The | rest of us are unlikely to be enriched by their "innovations" | because pretty soon if you want to buy a PC you're going to be | practically forced to buy one with Vista, and with dual cores, | quadruple cores and the rest, simply because the vendors, the | distribution chain, the ISVs and the ODMs are all firmly pledged | to keep thei...

Choices$Write,Choices$Path
From Justin >Choices$Write is, generally, set once. Together with Choices$Path it >provides your configuration settings. If they're changed together (or even >independently) then your application won't see the files it saw before, >but it also should be robust and just use the new area. It might not be a >common operation, but you support it because your program is resillient to >such changes. > >[snip] > >> By using a primary Choices variable Myprog$Choices, the user could >> drag the choices destination to RAM or Memphis or set it to default >> Choices$Write. > >No. You read from Choices:<path> and you write to <Choices$Write>.<path>, >and that's the end of the story, pretty much. You absolutely should not >have a single variable pointing to the configuration. A single >variable does not allow you to differentiate between the place that you >read from, and the place that you write to. The two may be different. The >read area may be read only. The read area may be the default >configuration, and the write area is the user-specific configuration. > >You do it that way and everything works for everyone. There are no >special cases where one applications chooses to do it differently because >the author thought they were so special that the rules didn't apply to >them. If you are that special, you make damned sure that you ...

OT: Is any choice harder than no choice?
Recently a poster claimed that 'Adding a second choice makes it "harder for a consumer to choose'. " Does anyone have any scientific evidence to back that up? Short term memory is linked to decision making, and it is known that a human can have around 3-4 things in short term memory at a given time, so it seems to me that adding choice to the mixture would not make it harder. I have referenced plenty of links to studies that seemingly back this up (although to what extent is under dispute). So does anyone have any actual quotes or links to back up that a single choice is hard...

logic of limiting choices and forcing choices
Hi, I just can not find the set based sql approach to the following application logic: I have a table of choices with id and text, say: 1 coffee 2 tea 3 water 4 juice Now some users have restrictions, for example user 1 is disallowed coffeine. Some Users are forced one choice - user 2 is only allowed water, so there is another type of restriction. This would yield table choicerestrictions (userid, choiceid, tor): 1 2 exclude 1 2 exclude 2 3 force Is this a known application pattern I can read about somewhere? How could I get a result set in one select? This would be far better than doing it in the application. Table design: the force entry in choicerestrictions would be equivalent to exclude choices 1,2 and 4. I prefer a force entry, because it states the logic, and is better when you insert 5 milk into choices. Thanks for your comments. /Str. M. Strobel wrote: > I just can not find the set based sql approach to the following > application logic: > > I have a table of choices with id and text, say: > 1 coffee > 2 tea > 3 water > 4 juice > > Now some users have restrictions, for example user 1 is > disallowed coffeine. Some Users are forced one choice - user 2 is > only allowed water, so there is another type of restriction. > > This would yield table choicerestrictions (userid, choiceid, tor): > 1 2 exclude > 1 2 exclude > 2 3 force > > Is this a known applic...

Choices
I am new to freeBSD. What should I consider using for web server work, 4.x or 5.x. What are the advantages of on over the other? Thanks Deke wrote: > I am new to freeBSD. What should I consider using for web server work, > 4.x or 5.x. What are the advantages of on over the other? Choose 5.3. If you find that something doesn't work (ie. the hardware doesn't work, or some software don't work), then try 4.10. 4.x is the "old technology" stable branch. Everything that works there is good and stable. 5.x is the "new technology" branch. This means that there are a some things in it that you won't find in 4.x. Things like drivers, new filesystems (ufs2, devfs). Good luck! -- Torfinn Ingolfsen, Norway Deke <Deke@nospam.com> writes: > I am new to freeBSD. What should I consider using for web server work, > 4.x or 5.x. What are the advantages of on over the other? > > Thanks For a server I would suggest 4.x, unless your hardware/application requires features from the 5 branch, but you should be thinking of upgrading to 5.x in the next 1-2 years -- Justin Murdock ...

[News] GNU/Linux as the Choice for Those Who Love Choice

Few Choices
I installed Tiger on my iBook 800 mHz G3 while the iBook was in Target Mode (it has no DVD drive). During the installation process, i was only given two choices "Custom" install or "Upgrade." What's with that? I thought I would have "Archive & Install" and the other choices. Was there a problem happening? Ideas? ...

Choices
I mentioned humans as echoing machines. The following is an addition to that thought. In the process from input to output we have choices. Choice 1: absorption Choice 2: reflection With choice 1 something might change. With choice 2 nothing changes. Of course those processes are mingled. I'm interested in the changes. Example: input is a signal that says make zero one. Absorption: a zero changes to one or a one remains a one Reflection: a zero remains a zero. In addition I recall the echo where a one becomes a zero. Important is the notion of resistence. If a dumb machine just chan...

What are my choices?
I'm in the middle of building a database in access 2002 for a client of mine. I just wanted to know what my choices were to make this database accessable from multiple clients at once. His network is a windows 2000 domain with about 8 workstations that will use this database. I read about an MDE file, but I when i tried to make it froze up my system. What are my choices? ricky@rickybell.com (InDeSkize) wrote in message news:<22935d4a.0405271156.75bbb5ca@posting.google.com>... > I'm in the middle of building a database in access 2002 for a client > of mine. I just wanted to know what my choices were to make this > database accessable from multiple clients at once. > > His network is a windows 2000 domain with about 8 workstations that > will use this database. > > I read about an MDE file, but I when i tried to make it froze up my > system. > > What are my choices? Hello Ricky, One of the ways that seems to be the best is to set up two mdb files. 1. Front End (Loaded onto users computers. 2. Back End (Loaded onto the network with the Front End linked to it.) The Front End has the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules. The Back End has the tables only. This way, if an update is needed for, say another report is needed, only the front end has to be updated and copied over the older version without any data loss. One other thing, the Front End, after develeopent, can be made in...

c++ as choice for long term application choice.
Have a application (custom written for a vetical market) which has been developed in VB over the last several years. Now that MS has done what MS does best and is to relegated VB to the twilight zone in feb of 08 I have decided to rewrite in another language. The application is constatnly being upgraded with new features and I would like to find someting that would have long term support, if such is possible. Never would have thought MS would "disregard" VB. How about VC++. ? It would need to be somewhat on par with VB as far as the features and capabilities of VB. Any thoughts fro...

Browser choice should also extend to OS choice
Browser choice should also extend to OS choice ---------------------------------------------- The EU has ruled that its citizens should have browser choice because micoshaft had behaved as an illegal monopoly, and that choice quickly allowed many other browsers to go mainstream. The same is overdue for OS. Micoshaft has illegally twisted suppliers in Taiwan to restrict choice of OS preload. What used to be plentiful cheap netbooks with Linux has been replaced with ugly slow booting windummy OSen on machines that cannot properly run that OSen. Linux on the other hand can. So the EU are still...

selecting a subset of choices based on a first choice
Hello, I having trouble finding information on what I would like to do in Access probably because I do not know the right keywords. I am designing a that uses genus and species of plants in two of the fields (names genus and species). Since there is a limited number of species for a given genus, I would like the second field on the form have only the values that match that genus. For example, if my table looks like this: genus1, species1 genus1, species2 genus1, species3 genus2, species4 I would like to make it possible that if you select genus1, the next fields pull down menu would onl...

Choices !!
Hi, I have a JVC mini DV camcorder, and I like to be able to edit the footage on my pc a bit - add a few transitions, titles etc....... I like to burn the footage to a VCD with menus etc..... (my DVD player doesnt play SVCDs) Sometimes I may want to burn onto DVD -R or DVD-RAM....... With this in mind, what are the best settings to have Video Studio 7 setup to ? Should the PROJECT SETTINGS be set to AVI, 25fps, before I start ? Then when I capture, should I capture in DV format ? or MPEG, or AVI ? Am I right in thinking that I should try and capture in the format b...

What are my choices?
I'm in the middle of building a database in access 2002 for a client of mine. I just wanted to know what my choices were to make this database accessable from multiple clients at once. His network is a windows 2000 domain with about 8 workstations that will use this database. I read about an MDE file, but I when i tried to make it froze up my system. What are my choices? The first and most important this is to split the front-end and the back-end of the database: Simplefied Concept: back-end (BE) = tables, design does not change front-end (FE) = everything else (code, forms, queries,...

Choice
In the grocery store there are many, many kinds of cheese... I have tried several but many I have not and I have little interest in them. I do, however, sometimes make my own cheese. I just had a snack with some of my home made cream cheese. It was excellent. Choice. Grocery stores also have many kinds of pancake mix. I do not believe I have ever bought any of them, though I have had others pancakes made from them. I make my own. Started by - for the most part - following recipes. Then I made my own recipe... one very different from any other I have seen. I shared it with others... m...

Choice
I don't know where to take a good also objective answer...so I ask it here... I use linux for years, big fun... I use it for office, multimedia, and some c++ small projects... office for economical studies multimedia like writing dvd and playing xvids after having transcoded the dvds Games.Yes in Linux. BUT. I saw OpenSolaris. Can it do it? Better than linux in performance? I start to hate the performance of modern distros like, fedora or...mandriva...either they won't work or they work with all the -g in gcc and various misworks.Not to mention the libxxx problem......

My choice..
Hi I'm a Korean.. I strongly recommend a Toshiba Laptop - Tecra series. That is a so good, powerful, and pretty... *^_^* ... You will have a great contentment. good luck!! ...

Quiz in VB
Can anyone please give me some clues on how to track the right answers in multiple-choice type questions (using checkbox) and single-choice questions (rdio buttons) and also how to store the right answer value in the db? Much appreciated kadmazid@hotmail.com (Mohammed Mazid) wrote in message news:<7cfd7b4a.0402140837.5a8f9570@posting.google.com>... > Can anyone please give me some clues on how to track the right answers > in multiple-choice type questions (using checkbox) and single-choice > questions (rdio buttons) and also how to store the right answer value > in the db? ...

Choice of DHCP-server? Is the "IOS-one" a good choice?
Have a need for a DHCP server. Is the IOS-one a good choice? The arguments for is: - Easy management and logging - HA, if the IOS-box is protected with UPS etc - No more boxes/computers Reasons why not: - possible security risks(eg IOS DHCP on main router in network) ?? - lack of functionality (option 82 etc)? - etc? I am not an expert on DHCP solutions so what du you reckon? /Fred "Fred" <Xfrecarlen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HLKBb.37586$mU6.133488@newsb.telia.net... > Reasons why not: > - possible security risks(eg IOS DHCP on main router in network) ??...

[c.d.o.s][Long...] SHMMNI choice affect SHMMAX choice?
People, I've been asked to document how a DBA should set values of some Linux kernel parameters. This is an easy task since it is a topic covered in the Oracle installation documents. While writing my document, my curiosity triggered some simple questions. What is the purpose of SHMMNI? If I set SHMMNI to a larger value, can I lower SHMMAX to a value to support a given SGA? I found this description of SHMMNI via google: SHMMNI sets the maximum number of shared memory segments which can be allocated at any one time. The above description suggests that I can carve up my shared memory...

Can Choice components respond to keyboard input like HTML Choice components?
Users expect Choice components to respond to keyboard input similarly to HTML Choice components. This keyboard-responsiveness is not coded into standard Java Choice components. One would expect that adding appropriate listeners and events could produce the HTML-like functionality, but this does not appear to work. At http://segal.org/java/ChoiceKey2/index.html is a small working applet with full source code to demonstrate this problem. The desired behavior occurs with neither the Sun JVM nor the Microsoft JVM; each departs from user expectations in different ways. Is there some way to do ...

Choice of time servers
I have two flavors of Stratum 2 servers -- some older Sun servers that are basically out of capacity doing double duty as DNS cache servers, and a set of new Compaq RH Linux servers. The Sun servers are running +/- 0.3 ms offsets to the Stratum 1's with default minpoll/maxpoll and other default settings. The RH Linux servers are running +/- 1 ms, only after tweeking minpoll and maxpoll to 6 (64sec) and using burst. I had one that wouldn't settle down even at 4 (16 sec) until we replaced it. There is no load at all on these servers. Is this an expected result? _____________________...

Web resources about - Time for me to upgrade... Choices, choices, choices?? - comp.arch

Choice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... style . The references used may be made clearer with a different or consistent style of citation , footnoting , or external linking . Choice ...

Thermomix under fire over safety issues as owners and Choice speak out
Thermomix owners - and ex-owners - have spoken in support of a West Australian woman who suffered second-degree burns after her appliance apparently ...

Thermomix under fire over safety issues as owners and Choice speak out
Thermomix owners - and ex-owners - have spoken in support of a West Australian woman who suffered second-degree burns after her appliance apparently ...

Carly Fiorina: Bashes Establishment for Expressing ‘Horror over the Choices of Millions of Voters’
Carly Fiorina: Bashes Establishment for Expressing 'Horror over the Choices of Millions of Voters'

New Illinois AD had no choice but to make change his first day
Washington Post New Illinois AD had no choice but to make change his first day CBSSports.com On his first day on the job at Illinois, Josh ...

Republicans face tough choices
Republicans desperate to stop Donald Trump from capturing the party's presidential nomination are wrestling with whether to unite behind Ted ...

The Latest: Hit back or walk away _ choice for Trump rivals
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the 2016 presidential campaign, with voters in five states getting their say Saturday in nominating contests ...

REPORT: Feds Are Destroying Free Choice In The Retirement System
'Members of Congress from both parties have expressed serious concerns about the rule'

This week in the war on workers: 'School choice' is not the hot issue Republicans claim
... companies and organizations that manage charter schools to release to parents and the public how they spend taxpayer money. “School choice” ...

​Good sign for pro-choice Americans.
​​Good sign for pro-choice Americans.&nbsp;​