"You don't have permission": Why won't this file download?

I just want people to click on a link to download a file.  I've done
it before, but this is a new computer and I must be missing
something.  (Possibly an Apache configuration setting?)

Here is the source for the link that generates the error:

installation procedure</a><br />

The permissions on the file and the directory containing it are wide
open!  I've tried everything I can think of.  Here is the error:

**************************  begin error page
**************************
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /procedures/ODBC_installation.pdf
on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at adevwi02 Port 80

**************************  end error page  **************************

(I was going to post this to alt.html because it sounds less formal,
but a comment from Google said to post to this news group instead.
Advise if you think another group is more appropriate.)

0
workingstiff19
8/31/2008 6:55:54 PM
comp.authoring.html 7078 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

workingstiff19@hotmail.com wrote:
> I just want people to click on a link to download a file.  I've done
> it before, but this is a new computer and I must be missing
> something.  (Possibly an Apache configuration setting?)
>
> Here is the source for the link that generates the error:

> installation procedure</a><br />
>
> The permissions on the file and the directory containing it are wide
> open!  I've tried everything I can think of.  Here is the error:
>
> **************************  begin error page
> **************************
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /procedures/ODBC_installation.pdf
> on this server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

> Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at adevwi02 Port 80
>
> **************************  end error page  **************************
>

> (I was going to post this to alt.html because it sounds less formal,
> but a comment from Google said to post to this news group instead.
> Advise if you think another group is more appropriate.)

Without an actual URL I can only guess that you've got a path problem.
Or you've mis-configured something in an .htaccess file.  You mention a
new computer:  Are you running the server locally and testing the page?
  Are you sure the DocumentRoot is the same as on the old computer?  If
you didn't set up the exact same folder locations on the new system
that's a problem.  If you did but you did a fresh install of Apache and
never (or incorrectly) edited the httpd.conf file, that could be a problem.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

It looks to me like your URL should either be:

procedure</a><br />

OR

procedure</a><br />

depending on where the folder is located...

Melissa

On Aug 31, 10:55=A0am, workingstif...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I just want people to click on a link to download a file. =A0I've done
> it before, but this is a new computer and I must be missing
> something. =A0(Possibly an Apache configuration setting?)
>
> Here is the source for the link that generates the error:
>
> =A0 =A0 <a href=3D"./procedures/ODBC_installation.pdf">ODBC driver
> installation procedure</a><br />
>
> The permissions on the file and the directory containing it are wide
> open! =A0I've tried everything I can think of. =A0Here is the error:
>
> ************************** =A0begin error page
> **************************
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /procedures/ODBC_installation.pdf
> on this server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

-------

> Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at adevwi02 Port 80
>
> ************************** =A0end error page =A0*************************=
*

> (I was going to post this to alt.html because it sounds less formal,
> but a comment from Google said to post to this news group instead.
> Advise if you think another group is more appropriate.)

0
Melissa
8/31/2008 7:32:40 PM
workingstiff19@hotmail.com wrote:
> I just want people to click on a link to download a file.  I've done
> it before, but this is a new computer and I must be missing
> something.  (Possibly an Apache configuration setting?)
>
> Here is the source for the link that generates the error:

> installation procedure</a><br />
>
> The permissions on the file and the directory containing it are wide
> open!  I've tried everything I can think of.  Here is the error:

Wide open? what are the user:group and permission on the file? What are
the user:group on the folder? Is "procedures" within your document root
or symbolic linked?

> **************************  begin error page
> **************************
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /procedures/ODBC_installation.pdf
> on this server.

Looks like permission problem on the folder.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
8/31/2008 8:02:39 PM
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html on Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:55:54
-0700 (PDT), workingstiff19@hotmail.com <workingstiff19@hotmail.com>
wrote:

<...>

> The permissions on the file and the directory containing it are wide
> open!

What do you mean by wide open? The file should be globally readable
and the directory should be globally executable.

chmod o+r <file>
chmod o+x <directory>

<...>

> (I was going to post this to alt.html because it sounds less formal,
> but a comment from Google said to post to this news group instead.
> Advise if you think another group is more appropriate.)

Since this is a server problem, not apparently an HTML problem, you
may get more help in alt.apache.configuration.

--
PJR :-)
slrn newsreader (v0.9.9): http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
 "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art@central.net> wrote:

> workingstiff19@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I just want people to click on a link to download a file.  I've done
> > it before, but this is a new computer and I must be missing
> > something.  (Possibly an Apache configuration setting?)
> >
> > Here is the source for the link that generates the error:

> > installation procedure</a><br />
> >
> > The permissions on the file and the directory containing it are wide
> > open!  I've tried everything I can think of.  Here is the error:
> >

> Wide open? what are the user:group and permission on the file? What are
> the user:group on the folder? Is "procedures" within your document root
> or symbolic linked?
>

> > **************************  begin error page
> > **************************
> > Forbidden
> > You don't have permission to access /procedures/ODBC_installation.pdf
> > on this server.
>
> Looks like permission problem on the folder.

Look at the access and error logs.  They'll tell you what file the web
server is having a problem with.  Then look at the directory and file in
a shell to see what the permissions are.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...
[I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

0
Michael
8/31/2008 9:42:02 PM
On 8/31/2008 11:55 AM, workingstiff19@hotmail.com wrote:
> I just want people to click on a link to download a file.  I've done
> it before, but this is a new computer and I must be missing
> something.  (Possibly an Apache configuration setting?)
>
> Here is the source for the link that generates the error:

> installation procedure</a><br />
>
> The permissions on the file and the directory containing it are wide
> open!  I've tried everything I can think of.  Here is the error:
>
> **************************  begin error page
> **************************
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /procedures/ODBC_installation.pdf
> on this server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

> Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at adevwi02 Port 80
>
> **************************  end error page  **************************
>

> (I was going to post this to alt.html because it sounds less formal,
> but a comment from Google said to post to this news group instead.
> Advise if you think another group is more appropriate.)

Are you trying to access a file that resides on the same computer as
your browser?

Are you using the same versions of server and browser that you used on
your old computer?

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>