Don't like MSIE6? Don't like MS?

If you so dislike MS, do the minimal thing:  advocate another
browser on web pages you control.

Example:  http://masonc.home.netcom.com

This is not a troll.   Just go do what you're told and shut up.

         Mason C     I will not respond
0
Mason
7/9/2005 8:11:33 AM
comp.authoring.html 7078 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Mason A. Clark wrote:

> If you so dislike MS, do the minimal thing:  advocate another
> browser on web pages you control.
>
> Example:  http://masonc.home.netcom.com
>
> This is not a troll.   Just go do what you're told and shut up.
>
>          Mason C     I will not respond

I don't advocate anything.  I just say what browsers I have used to test my
pages.  My HTML editor of choice is Nvu, by Netscape, but the decision
wasn't based on which stable it came from.  It just works better.  It tends
to replace punctuation by hex(?) codes  (like the %20 you see in a URL in
IE,) and my linkchecker then objects to them, but can read them.,

There are pages, apparently in Britain, that won't work on anything else.
They tell you to get IE, just as a page with frames will tell you that you
need a new browser.  I went to one like that.  In effect, they are limiting
their audience to a fraction of that available.  A commercial site couldn't
afford to do that.

Rather OT for this list, but related, is a link on my RSS feeds a day or so
ago that Windows is set to become the standard patform for an industry -
one of the sciences.
--
ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.

0
Doug
7/12/2005 3:47:40 AM
Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@myaccess.com.au> posted:

> a link on my RSS feeds a day or so ago that Windows is set to become the
> standard patform for an industry - one of the sciences.

Hard to believe one of the sciences would do such a thing, really.  Science
needs repeatable and reliable backgrounds.  Something Windows doesn't excel
at (well, other than repeatable errors, and you can rely on it causing you
problems).  Perhaps scientists researching chaos theory?  Or the law of
thermodynamics?   :-\

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary).  But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.
0
Tim
7/12/2005 12:27:31 PM
Tim wrote:

> Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@myaccess.com.au> posted:
>
>> a link on my RSS feeds a day or so ago that Windows is set to become the
>> standard patform for an industry - one of the sciences.
>
> Hard to believe one of the sciences would do such a thing, really.
> Science
> needs repeatable and reliable backgrounds.  Something Windows doesn't
> excel at (well, other than repeatable errors, and you can rely on it
> causing you
> problems).  Perhaps scientists researching chaos theory?  Or the law of
> thermodynamics?   :-\

Wish that I could find the original.  The reason was that Windows is so
common.  It wasn't research - more like a standard environment for some
technology.

Doug.
--
ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
Imagine all the people living for today.

0
Doug