HTML 5 validation software?

Currently, I generate my pages using commands in MAKE. One key
command is NSGMLS, a Windows command-line tool that validates any
HTML with a DTD, and returns a "pass" or "fail" status (in the
ERRORLEVEL) so that the MAKE can proceed or stop.

But of course HTML 5 doesn't have a DTD, so I need a new tool for
validating locally in Windows. If at all possible it should have a
command-line interface that returns a "pass" or "fail" status. I
don't need a HTML editor.

Can anyone recommend good HTML 5 validation software that I can run
in Windows, preferably on the command line as outlined above?
Googling turns up some possibilities, but I'd just as soon not take
the time to try all of them if someone on this group has a
recommendation. Thanks!

                                       http://BrownMath.com/
                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator:      http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec:   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator:      http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You: http://preview.tinyurl.com/WhyWont
0
Stan
10/22/2016 11:54:51 PM
comp.authoring.html 7078 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 10/22/2016 4:54 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> Currently, I generate my pages using commands in MAKE. One key
> command is NSGMLS, a Windows command-line tool that validates any
> HTML with a DTD, and returns a "pass" or "fail" status (in the
> ERRORLEVEL) so that the MAKE can proceed or stop.
>
> But of course HTML 5 doesn't have a DTD, so I need a new tool for
> validating locally in Windows. If at all possible it should have a
> command-line interface that returns a "pass" or "fail" status. I
> don't need a HTML editor.
>
> Can anyone recommend good HTML 5 validation software that I can run
> in Windows, preferably on the command line as outlined above?
> Googling turns up some possibilities, but I'd just as soon not take
> the time to try all of them if someone on this group has a
> recommendation. Thanks!

I use <http://validator.w3.org/> for the HTML and
<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/> for the CSS.  Both were created by
the World-Wide Web Consortium (W3C), which is also the organization that
establishes the specifications for HTML and CSS.

--
David E. Ross

Donald Trump claims everyone likes him.  Does that
include his ex-wives?  How about the students who
discovered that their education at Trump University
was worthless?  And how about the contractors,
suppliers, and employees he stiffed in his several
bankruptcies?
0
David
10/23/2016 12:32:04 AM
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 17:32:04 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 10/22/2016 4:54 PM, Stan Brown wrote:

> > But of course HTML 5 doesn't have a DTD, so I need a new tool for
> > validating locally in Windows.
>
> I use <http://validator.w3.org/> for the HTML and
> <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/> for the CSS.  Both were created by
> the World-Wide Web Consortium (W3C), which is also the organization that
> establishes the specifications for HTML and CSS.

Thank you for posting, but I am looking for something to run
_locally_. Nothing wrong with the web-based services, which I've
used, but they don't fit into doing local command-line builds.

Unless I'm missing something, of course. If I am, please enlighten
me.

                                       http://BrownMath.com/
                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator:      http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec:   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator:      http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You: http://preview.tinyurl.com/WhyWont
0
Stan
10/23/2016 2:40:37 PM
On 10/23/2016 at 10:40 AM, Stan Brown's prodigious digits fired off:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 17:32:04 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:
>>
>> On 10/22/2016 4:54 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
>
>>> But of course HTML 5 doesn't have a DTD, so I need a new tool for
>>> validating locally in Windows.
>>
>> I use <http://validator.w3.org/> for the HTML and
>> <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/> for the CSS.  Both were created by
>> the World-Wide Web Consortium (W3C), which is also the organization that
>> establishes the specifications for HTML and CSS.
>
> Thank you for posting, but I am looking for something to run
> _locally_. Nothing wrong with the web-based services, which I've
> used, but they don't fit into doing local command-line builds.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, of course. If I am, please enlighten
> me.

Stan, I haven't used any of these but there is some free sw:

<http://www.google.com/search?q=html%20validation%20software>

I have used CSE HTML Validator:

<https://www.htmlvalidator.com/buy/>

The author sent me a free copy after finding an answer to a Mozilla
question on my site. Great program and not too costly at $69.00 for the
Standard version.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
23.10.2016, 2:54, Stan Brown wrote:

> Can anyone recommend good HTML 5 validation software that I can run
> in Windows, preferably on the command line as outlined above?

The W3C Markup Validator uses the Nu Html Checker when it is asked to
�validate� an HTML5 document, and that checker is available for download
and can be used as a command-line tool, using Java, see
https://validator.w3.org/nu/about.html
under �How to to run your own copy of the Nu Html Checker�.

HTML5 is a moving target, and the Nu Html Checker is targeted to play by
some rules that are not entirely well-documented � I haven�t checked
whether they refer to W3C HTML5, or to WHATWG Living HTML, and which
version (probably �the newest�, which might be Editor�s Draft). But the
page mentioned starts with a useful caveat:

�The Nu Html Checker (v.Nu) is an ongoing experiment in better HTML
checking, and its behavior remains subject to change. In particular,
because new types of error checks continue to be actively added to the
checker, there is no guarantee provided that if the checker reports zero
errors for a particular document at one point in time, it will report
zero errors for that same document at some later point in time.�

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
0
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 20:31:23 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> 23.10.2016, 2:54, Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend good HTML 5 validation software that I can run
> > in Windows, preferably on the command line as outlined above?
>
> The W3C Markup Validator uses the Nu Html Checker when it is asked to
> ?validate? an HTML5 document, and that checker is available for download
> and can be used as a command-line tool, using Java, see
> https://validator.w3.org/nu/about.html
> under ?How to to run your own copy of the Nu Html Checker?.

Thanks. That's one of the ones I saw, but it rather put me off
because it says I need Java 8. Howtogeek.com has warned several times
about horrible security problems in Java[1], saying that it's even
worse than Javascript[2]. They do advise disabling the browser plugin
if you must run an application that requires Java.

The page says I need Java 8, but Googling revealed several things
called "Java". I'm guessing that they mean Java SEE Runtime; do you
know if that's correct.  (The Java I've got in Windows 7 is 1.6.)

[1] http://www.howtogeek.com/122934/java-is-insecure-and-awful-its-
time-to-disable-it-and-heres-how/
[2] http://www.howtogeek.com/198960/javascript-isnt-java-its-much-
safer-and-much-more-useful/

                                       http://BrownMath.com/
                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator:      http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec:   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator:      http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You: http://preview.tinyurl.com/WhyWont
0
Stan
10/23/2016 6:14:25 PM
On 10/23/2016 at 2:14 PM, Stan Brown's prodigious digits fired off:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 20:31:23 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>>
>> 23.10.2016, 2:54, Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone recommend good HTML 5 validation software that I can run
>>> in Windows, preferably on the command line as outlined above?
>>
>> The W3C Markup Validator uses the Nu Html Checker when it is asked to
>> ?validate? an HTML5 document, and that checker is available for download
>> and can be used as a command-line tool, using Java, see
>> https://validator.w3.org/nu/about.html
>> under ?How to to run your own copy of the Nu Html Checker?.
>
> Thanks. That's one of the ones I saw, but it rather put me off
> because it says I need Java 8. Howtogeek.com has warned several times
> about horrible security problems in Java[1], saying that it's even
> worse than Javascript[2]. They do advise disabling the browser plugin
> if you must run an application that requires Java.
>
> The page says I need Java 8, but Googling revealed several things
> called "Java". I'm guessing that they mean Java SEE Runtime; do you
> know if that's correct.  (The Java I've got in Windows 7 is 1.6.)
>

> [1] http://www.howtogeek.com/122934/java-is-insecure-and-awful-its-
> time-to-disable-it-and-heres-how/
> [2] http://www.howtogeek.com/198960/javascript-isnt-java-its-much-
> safer-and-much-more-useful/

jre-8u111-windows-i586.exe

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
On 23/10/2016 02:54, Stan Brown wrote:
> Can anyone recommend good HTML 5 validation software that I can run
> in Windows, preferably on the command line as outlined above?
> Googling turns up some possibilities, but I'd just as soon not take
> the time to try all of them if someone on this group has a
> recommendation. Thanks!

I have searched for a similar solution, but could not find anything that
I would want to use. Iirc, I ended using a bookmarklet that I would
activate while previewing pages before publication:

<https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/validation.html#validate_html>

--
Best wishes, Osmo
0
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 20:31:23 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> 23.10.2016, 2:54, Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend good HTML 5 validation software that I can run
> > in Windows, preferably on the command line as outlined above?
>
> The W3C Markup Validator uses the Nu Html Checker when it is asked to
> ?validate? an HTML5 document, and that checker is available for download
> and can be used as a command-line tool, using Java, see
> https://validator.w3.org/nu/about.html
> under ?How to to run your own copy of the Nu Html Checker?.
>
> HTML5 is a moving target, and the Nu Html Checker is targeted to play by
> some rules that are not entirely well-documented ? I haven?t checked
> whether they refer to W3C HTML5, or to WHATWG Living HTML, and which
> version (probably ?the newest?, which might be Editor?s Draft). But the
> page mentioned starts with a useful caveat:
>
> ?The Nu Html Checker (v.Nu) is an ongoing experiment in better HTML
> checking, and its behavior remains subject to change. In particular,
> because new types of error checks continue to be actively added to the
> checker, there is no guarantee provided that if the checker reports zero
> errors for a particular document at one point in time, it will report
> zero errors for that same document at some later point in time.?

I'm happy to report that, in the online course I'm taking at Johns
Hopkins, the lecturer validates every single page at the W3C
validator.

I was taken aback -- one of the quiz questions asked if <a>...
perspective, I thought it wasn't; but HTML5 really is different.

                                       http://BrownMath.com/
                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator:      http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec:   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator:      http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You: http://preview.tinyurl.com/WhyWont
0
Stan
10/24/2016 11:35:56 PM
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 14:31:30 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 10/23/2016 at 2:14 PM, Stan Brown's prodigious digits fired off:
> > [quoted text muted]
> > time-to-disable-it-and-heres-how/
> > [2] http://www.howtogeek.com/198960/javascript-isnt-java-its-much-
> > safer-and-much-more-useful/