Opinions wanted ...

There's a spidering link-checking software I've just heard of, at
<https://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/#spider-features>, the
Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool (a small desktop program [for] PC, Mac or
Linux ... which spiders websites’ links, images, CSS, script and apps).

A zero-monetary-cost version is available. Any opinions on it here?

Thanks. Cheers (and a Happy Fourth to true believers), -- tlvp
tlvp
7/3/2016 8:07:52 PM
comp.authoring.html 7078 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 7/3/2016 at 4:07 PM, tlvp's prodigious digits fired off:
> There's a spidering link-checking software I've just heard of, at
> <https://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/#spider-features>, the
> Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool (a small desktop program [for] PC, Mac or
> Linux ... which spiders websites’ links, images, CSS, script and apps).
>
> A zero-monetary-cost version is available. Any opinions on it here?
>
> Thanks. Cheers (and a Happy Fourth to true believers), -- tlvp

The one I use is Link Sleuth.

<http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 18:08:31 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

> The one I use is Link Sleuth.
>
> <http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html>

Ah, yes: thanks for that pointer. Looks interesting :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
7/4/2016 6:16:34 AM
On 7/4/2016 at 2:16 AM, tlvp's prodigious digits fired off:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 18:08:31 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> The one I use is Link Sleuth.
>>
>> <http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html>
>
> Ah, yes: thanks for that pointer. Looks interesting :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

It is quite good.  There's a 64-bit beta version available as well
(which I use):

<http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/Xenu64.zip>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 09:09:52 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> ... <http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html>
>
> ... is quite good.  There's a 64-bit beta version available as well
> (which I use):
>
> <http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/Xenu64.zip>

Good to know about that, thanks, tho' I'm a 32-bit person myself currently.

Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
7/4/2016 8:20:28 PM
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html message <8jsuzidfzgsy$.1oaa4ti0er
nt.dlg@40tude.net>, Sun, 3 Jul 2016 16:07:52, tlvp
<mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net> posted:

>There's a spidering link-checking software I've just heard of, at
><https://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/#spider-features>, the
>Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool (a small desktop program [for] PC, Mac or
>Linux ... which spiders websites’ links, images, CSS, script and apps).
>
>A zero-monetary-cost version is available. Any opinions on it here?
>
>Thanks. Cheers (and a Happy Fourth to true believers), -- tlvp

I have written, in JavaScript for Firefox, a page which spiders a
website master copy on the local hard disc :-

<http://web.archive.org/web/20150908034349/http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk
/linxchek.htm>

Read the whole of that page before trying the form.

--
 (c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  ¬@merlyn.demon.co.uk   Turnpike v6.05   MIME.
 Merlyn Web Site <                       > - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

0
Dr
7/4/2016 8:50:22 PM
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 21:50:22 +0100, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

> I have written, in JavaScript for Firefox, a page which spiders a
> website master copy on the local hard disc :-
>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20150908034349/http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm>
>
> Read the whole of that page before trying the form.

Odd: the wayback machine reports of:

: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm
:
: Hrm.
:
: Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.
:
: This page is available on the web!

But seeking <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm> directly just
produces a generic names.co.uk search page.offering

: merlyn.demon.co.uk is not available.	Check now if your name is free.

Have you a better URL for your linxchek script? Thanks. Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
7/5/2016 8:52:00 PM
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html message <3memsg7zrbee$.17anq3nhr1
ti1$.dlg@40tude.net>, Tue, 5 Jul 2016 16:52:00, tlvp
<mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net> posted:

>On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 21:50:22 +0100, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

>> I have written, in JavaScript for Firefox, a page which spiders a
>> website master copy on the local hard disc :-
>>
>> <http://web.archive.org/web/20150908034349/http://www.merlyn.demon.co
>>.uk/linxchek.htm>
>>
>> Read the whole of that page before trying the form.
>
>Odd: the wayback machine reports of:
>
>: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm
>:
>: Hrm.
>:
>: Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.
>:
>: This page is available on the web!
>
>But seeking <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm> directly just
>produces a generic names.co.uk search page.offering
>
>: merlyn.demon.co.uk is not available. Check now if your name is free.
>
>Have you a better URL for your linxchek script? Thanks. Cheers, -- tlvp

The long link, as originally posted, worked then and works now, for me -
tested just now, in Firefox and in IE 8.

Demon attempted to transfer their no-extra-charge hosting, with partial
success; that is why the Wayback Machine must now be used.  If you enter
Wayback and then give it the "merlyn" URL, you might get an archived
version of the names.co substitute; but I tried it just now and (to my
surprise) got what you want.

Note that you cannot run the testing from a LINXCHECK.HTM served by
WayBack (or, earlier, from merlyn), you must take a copy; to save
bandwidth, the big green button that starts it is hidden and disabled
unless the browser is using the 'file:' protocol.  That precaution can
of course be edited out; but the new version will be on your system not
mine.

Also, AFAIK, it will only run in Firefox and MSIE; other browsers
interpret "same domain" too strictly.

The actual current version is a bit different.  I was, more recently,
trying to get it to work on a snapshot of the UK DIY FAQ which is served
using PHP from a database; and I introduced some minor improvements
while doing so.

I have hurled an E-mail with the necessary files attached in your
general direction, and prodigy.net very promptly spat it back :

    (reason: 554 Message not allowed - [299])

The CC. to another address was delivered, with [SPAM] prepended to the
Subject.

--
 (c) John Stockton, near London.                Mail ?.?.Stockton@physics.org
  Web  <                              > - FAQish topics, acronyms, and links.
On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 22:04:52 +0100, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

> In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html message <3memsg7zrbee$.17anq3nhr1
> ti1$.dlg@40tude.net>, Tue, 5 Jul 2016 16:52:00, tlvp
> <mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net> posted:
>
>>On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 21:50:22 +0100, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

>>> I have written, in JavaScript for Firefox, a page which spiders a
>>> website master copy on the local hard disc :-
>>>
>>> <http://web.archive.org/web/20150908034349/http://www.merlyn.demon.co
>>>.uk/linxchek.htm>
>>>
>>> Read the whole of that page before trying the form.
>>
>>Odd: the wayback machine reports of:
>>
>>: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm
>>:
>>: Hrm.
>>:
>>: Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.
>>:
>>: This page is available on the web!
>>
>>But seeking <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm> directly just
>>produces a generic names.co.uk search page.offering
>>
>>: merlyn.demon.co.uk is not available. Check now if your name is free.
>>
>>Have you a better URL for your linxchek script? Thanks. Cheers, -- tlvp
>

> The long link, as originally posted, worked then and works now, for me -
> tested just now, in Firefox and in IE 8.
>
> Demon attempted to transfer their no-extra-charge hosting, with partial
> success; that is why the Wayback Machine must now be used.  If you enter
> Wayback and then give it the "merlyn" URL, you might get an archived
> version of the names.co substitute; but I tried it just now and (to my
> surprise) got what you want.
>
> Note that you cannot run the testing from a LINXCHECK.HTM served by
> WayBack (or, earlier, from merlyn), you must take a copy; to save
> bandwidth, the big green button that starts it is hidden and disabled
> unless the browser is using the 'file:' protocol.  That precaution can
> of course be edited out; but the new version will be on your system not
> mine.
>
> Also, AFAIK, it will only run in Firefox and MSIE; other browsers
> interpret "same domain" too strictly.
>

> The actual current version is a bit different.  I was, more recently,
> trying to get it to work on a snapshot of the UK DIY FAQ which is served
> using PHP from a database; and I introduced some minor improvements
> while doing so.
>

> I have hurled an E-mail with the necessary files attached in your
> general direction, and prodigy.net very promptly spat it back :
>
>     (reason: 554 Message not allowed - [299])
>
> The CC. to another address was delivered, with [SPAM] prepended to the
> Subject.

Uncanny, all this :-) .

First, I was using Vivaldi to look for your link, achieving only the
difficulties I reported. So now I visited http://web.archive.org and pasted
<http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm> into its search box, receiving
in return many instances of linxchek-presentation pages ... including on
from 2015, that turned out to be exactly your original URL

<http://web.archive.org/web/20150908034349/http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm>.

But Vivaldi, while it then displays that in its address bar, evidently
knows *not* how to browse to that URL :-) . No matter: it's found now.

(And, BTW, Firefox doesn't share Vivaldi's awkwardness, but displays the
page straightaway given the URL in angly brackets displayed above.)

As for your attempt to email it all to me, att.net is highly protective of
its clients, and frequently returns what it considers questionable stuff
with a 554 - Message not Allowed complaint. In fact, it does wholesale
blacklisting of originating mail domains, too, so that it needn't be the
content it's objecting to, but the origin mailer :-) . Oh, well, ... .

The older .exe version you no longer recommend? Or is that OK, too?

Thanks. Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
7/7/2016 3:22:59 AM
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html message <snal9mmnuysz$.123lzjfzt0
514$.dlg@40tude.net>, Wed, 6 Jul 2016 23:22:59, tlvp
> [...]

><http://web.archive.org/web/20150908034349/http://www.merlyn.demon.co.u
>k/linxchek.htm>.
>
>But Vivaldi, while it then displays that in its address bar, evidently
>knows *not* how to browse to that URL :-) . No matter: it's found now.
>
>(And, BTW, Firefox doesn't share Vivaldi's awkwardness, but displays the
>page straightaway given the URL in angly brackets displayed above.)
>
>As for your attempt to email it all to me, att.net is highly protective of
>its clients, and frequently returns what it considers questionable stuff
>with a 554 - Message not Allowed complaint. In fact, it does wholesale
>blacklisting of originating mail domains, too, so that it needn't be the
>content it's objecting to, but the origin mailer :-) . Oh, well, ... .
>
>The older .exe version you no longer recommend? Or is that OK, too?

Opera 36 in Windows XP sp3 fetches the link.

I don't think I recommended any .exe version ....

The latest version of my page on Wayback should be the best of those,
but any of them should suffice for an initial trial.  The later
improvements are slight.  And the big green button is smaller.

The first thing to do, after reading the page and perhaps the page
source, is to see whether it actually runs when the green button is
pressed.  Assuming that the whole of the blue form is visible on the
screen, there should be brisk action in both of the big fields below,
and in the greenish status line.  When it has run out of stuff to read,
the lower box vanishes, the upper one grows - read it, and play with the
new buttons.  One can re-use it without re-loading it.

If you are still interested, I could attempt to send you the .HTM page,
its *.CSS file, and its *.JS file, as attachments from a Gmail address.

--
 (c) John Stockton, near London.                Mail ?.?.Stockton@physics.org
  Web  <                              > - FAQish topics, acronyms, and links.
0
Dr
7/9/2016 6:25:49 PM
On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 19:25:49 +0100, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

> If you are still interested, I could attempt to send you the .HTM page,
> its *.CSS file, and its *.JS file, as attachments from a Gmail address.

Thanks for the offer, and for the detailed commentary (cropped here in the
interests of pixel-economy). For now I'll content myself with what I can
gather from the 2015 page in the WayBack Machine's archive; if I need more,
I'll be in touch again here to that end, thanks.

Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp