f



Problems with "&" changing to "&"

A lot of Firefox users I know, says they have problems with validation
where the ampersand sign has to be written as & to be valid. I don't
have Firefox my self and don't wont to install it only because of this,
so I hope some of you gurus can enlighten me with this :)

In what circumstances can the "&" in the source code be involuntary
changed to "&" by a browser when or other software, when editing and
uploading the file to the web server?

E.g. writing a string like "sc_project=402887&java=0&security"
is changed to "sc_project=402887&java=0&security" when the validator is
processing the code, without the editor doing the change deliberately.

TIA

-- 
/Arne

Proud User of SeaMonkey. Get your free copy:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
0
Arne
5/10/2006 8:37:08 AM
comp.authoring.html 7078 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

14 Replies
886 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 43

Arne wrote:
> A lot of Firefox users I know, says they have problems with validation

In the route from editor to server to on-line validator, just where
does Firefox (or any browser) have anything to do with it?

Your question, as stated, has too much missing from it to make any
sense.

0
Andy
5/10/2006 8:47:57 AM
In our last episode, 
<4cdn1lF149ofiU1@individual.net>, 
the lovely and talented Arne 
broadcast on comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:

> A lot of Firefox users I know, says they have problems with validation
> where the ampersand sign has to be written as &amp; to be valid. I don't
> have Firefox my self and don't wont to install it only because of this,
> so I hope some of you gurus can enlighten me with this :)

This doesn't make any sense.  & should be &amp; anywhere in any html
document unless the & is the beginning of a character reference.  Validity
does not depend upon the browser, but is a property the document may or may
not have regardless of the browser.  Browser should correctly translate
character references in URLs when they fetch, but so far as I know and I can
tell from testing, Firefox does that.

> In what circumstances can the "&amp;" in the source code be involuntary
> changed to "&" by a browser when or other software, when editing and
> uploading the file to the web server?

I can't make any sense of this.  Browsers shouldn't be doing anything to
files they upload, and I never heard of one that did.  I'm not sure what
happens if you use a browser function to insert the contents of a file in a
textarea, but that is not the same thing as uploading a file.

> E.g. writing a string like "sc_project=402887&amp;java=0&amp;security"

If you write this in a file and save it and then upload the file, the
following should not happen:

> is changed to "sc_project=402887&java=0&security" when the validator is
> processing the code, without the editor doing the change deliberately.


-- 
Lars Eighner         usenet@larseighner.com         http://www.larseighner.com/
I have not seen as far as others because giants were standing on my shoulders.
0
Lars
5/10/2006 9:45:22 AM
Once upon a time *Andy Dingley <dingbat@codesmiths.com>* wrote:
> Arne wrote:
>> A lot of Firefox users I know, says they have problems with 
>> validation
> 
> In the route from editor to server to on-line validator, just where 
> does Firefox (or any browser) have anything to do with it?
> 
> Your question, as stated, has too much missing from it to make any 
> sense.
> 

Yes, I do belive it's a bit difficult to understand. :)
I'll try with an example as it is described to me.

On a remote visitor tracker site (statcounter.com) when the tracker code
that is to be pasted on a page, is generated using Firefox, the code to
copy is shown in a text box. Part of the code is what I used in my
initial post ("sc_project=402887&java=0&security"). In my browser and
also in IE, this part shows the ampersands as "&amp;".

When I look at the source code for the page where the box with the
generated code is, the ampersand shows as "&amp;amp", but when I
validate the page, the W3C validator also complains about the "&", where
the  "&amp;" (or "&amp;amp") should be.

This page is HTML 4.0 Transitional with 9 errors, and most of the errors
(6-7) is because of the ampersand is not shown as "&amp;"

I know it's hard to understand this, and I for sure have no idea. I was
hoping somebody could have some theory what's happening. :)

-- 
/Arne

Proud User of SeaMonkey. Get your free copy:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
0
Arne
5/10/2006 12:22:41 PM
To further the education of mankind, Arne <invalid@domain.invalid> 
vouchsafed:

> When I look at the source code for the page where the box with the
> generated code is, the ampersand shows as "&amp;amp", but when I
> validate the page, the W3C validator also complains about the "&", where
> the  "&amp;" (or "&amp;amp") should be.

What do you mean "should be"?  You just said "&amp;amp" was in the source 
code.  This would display "&amp" in the viewport.  So where does the lone 
"&" come from?  (Btw, note that the "&amp" is incorrect.  It should be 
"&amp;".)

-- 
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.
0
Neredbojias
5/10/2006 2:43:42 PM
Arne wrote:
> Once upon a time *Andy Dingley <dingbat@codesmiths.com>* wrote:
>> Arne wrote:
>>> A lot of Firefox users I know, says they have problems with 
>>> validation
>> In the route from editor to server to on-line validator, just where 
>> does Firefox (or any browser) have anything to do with it?
>>
>> Your question, as stated, has too much missing from it to make any 
>> sense.
>>
> 
> Yes, I do belive it's a bit difficult to understand. :)
> I'll try with an example as it is described to me.
> 
> On a remote visitor tracker site (statcounter.com) when the tracker code
> that is to be pasted on a page, is generated using Firefox, the code to
> copy is shown in a text box. Part of the code is what I used in my
> initial post ("sc_project=402887&java=0&security"). In my browser and
> also in IE, this part shows the ampersands as "&amp;".
> 
> When I look at the source code for the page where the box with the
> generated code is, the ampersand shows as "&amp;amp", but when I
> validate the page, the W3C validator also complains about the "&", where
> the  "&amp;" (or "&amp;amp") should be.
> 
> This page is HTML 4.0 Transitional with 9 errors, and most of the errors
> (6-7) is because of the ampersand is not shown as "&amp;"
> 
> I know it's hard to understand this, and I for sure have no idea. I was
> hoping somebody could have some theory what's happening. :)

I'm still having trouble understanding, but try this: if you have 
"&amp;" in your string, and you need it to read as "&amp;" in the 
browser, then you need to change it to "&amp;amp;". Not "&amp;amp", as 
you wrote twice, but "&amp;amp;". "&amp;amp" will be interpreted as 
"&amp", which is indeed invalid.
0
Harlan
5/10/2006 2:45:44 PM
Once upon a time *Harlan Messinger* wrote:
> Arne wrote:
>> Once upon a time *Andy Dingley <dingbat@codesmiths.com>* wrote:
>>> Arne wrote:
>>>> A lot of Firefox users I know, says they have problems with 
>>>> validation
>>> In the route from editor to server to on-line validator, just where 
>>> does Firefox (or any browser) have anything to do with it?
>>>
>>> Your question, as stated, has too much missing from it to make any 
>>> sense.
>>>
>> 
>> Yes, I do belive it's a bit difficult to understand. :)
>> I'll try with an example as it is described to me.
>> 
>> On a remote visitor tracker site (statcounter.com) when the tracker code
>> that is to be pasted on a page, is generated using Firefox, the code to
>> copy is shown in a text box. Part of the code is what I used in my
>> initial post ("sc_project=402887&java=0&security"). In my browser and
>> also in IE, this part shows the ampersands as "&amp;".
>> 
>> When I look at the source code for the page where the box with the
>> generated code is, the ampersand shows as "&amp;amp", but when I
>> validate the page, the W3C validator also complains about the "&", where
>> the  "&amp;" (or "&amp;amp") should be.
>> 
>> This page is HTML 4.0 Transitional with 9 errors, and most of the errors
>> (6-7) is because of the ampersand is not shown as "&amp;"
>> 
>> I know it's hard to understand this, and I for sure have no idea. I was
>> hoping somebody could have some theory what's happening. :)
> 
> I'm still having trouble understanding, but try this: if you have 
> "&amp;" in your string, and you need it to read as "&amp;" in the 
> browser, then you need to change it to "&amp;amp;". Not "&amp;amp", as 
> you wrote twice, but "&amp;amp;". "&amp;amp" will be interpreted as 
> "&amp", which is indeed invalid.

Yes, the "&amp;amp" was a typo from me, but only here. *I* can see
"&amp;amp;" in the source code of the page containing the code (in the
box) for the tracker. In the "web view" mode (the actual page) the code
in the text box shows &amp; for *me*. It's like having "&amp;" in the
page source to see "&" on the page.

But Firefox users see only "&" in the text box that and when they paste
the tracker code to their pages, the code of course don't validate. The
question is why Firefox don't show the tracker code in the box as
SeaMonkey and IE does?

The content in the text box is like plain text in Notepad, but Firefox
is transforming the &amp; to a & even if everything else is as it
should. Firefox users have to add the "amp;" manually to make it valid
code. I guess most can do it, but should not really need to when the
generator is preparing a "ready to copy" code.

And I'm just trying to figure out why this happend only on Firefox. :)

-- 
/Arne

Proud User of SeaMonkey. Get your free copy:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
0
Arne
5/10/2006 3:26:32 PM
Once upon a time *Lars Eighner* wrote:
> In our last episode, 
> <4cdn1lF149ofiU1@individual.net>, 
> the lovely and talented Arne 
> broadcast on comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:
> 
>> A lot of Firefox users I know, says they have problems with validation
>> where the ampersand sign has to be written as &amp; to be valid. I don't
>> have Firefox my self and don't wont to install it only because of this,
>> so I hope some of you gurus can enlighten me with this :)
> 
> This doesn't make any sense.  & should be &amp; anywhere in any html
> document unless the & is the beginning of a character reference.  Validity
> does not depend upon the browser, but is a property the document may or may
> not have regardless of the browser.  Browser should correctly translate
> character references in URLs when they fetch, but so far as I know and I can
> tell from testing, Firefox does that.
> 
>> In what circumstances can the "&amp;" in the source code be involuntary
>> changed to "&" by a browser when or other software, when editing and
>> uploading the file to the web server?
> 
> I can't make any sense of this.  Browsers shouldn't be doing anything to
> files they upload, and I never heard of one that did.  I'm not sure what
> happens if you use a browser function to insert the contents of a file in a
> textarea, but that is not the same thing as uploading a file.
> 
>> E.g. writing a string like "sc_project=402887&amp;java=0&amp;security"
> 
> If you write this in a file and save it and then upload the file, the
> following should not happen:
> 
>> is changed to "sc_project=402887&java=0&security" when the validator is
>> processing the code, without the editor doing the change deliberately.


Well, you are not the only one that can't make any sense of this. But
the fact is (as it's told to me anyway) when Firefox users generate the
code(see my other posts) that is "ready to copy" for everybody else (it
seams) they have to manually add the "amp;" part after the "&" to make
it valid code.

If I should see the same in my browsers (SeaMonkey and IE) I may have
suspected e.g. the code generator script, or the firewall. But if the
error is there, why does it affect only Firefox.

If anybody with Firefox in this NG would go to www.statcounter.com and
register for an tracker account, they could see if it happends to them.
However, I don't expect anybody to do it, only because of this. I don't
install Firefox because of it. :)

-- 
/Arne

Proud User of SeaMonkey. Get your free copy:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
0
Arne
5/10/2006 3:48:17 PM
Arne wrote:
> Well, you are not the only one that can't make any sense of this. But
> the fact is (as it's told to me anyway) when Firefox users generate the
> code(see my other posts) that is "ready to copy" for everybody else (it
> seams) they have to manually add the "amp;" part after the "&" to make
> it valid code.
> 
> If I should see the same in my browsers (SeaMonkey and IE) I may have
> suspected e.g. the code generator script, or the firewall. But if the
> error is there, why does it affect only Firefox.
> 
> If anybody with Firefox in this NG would go to www.statcounter.com and
> register for an tracker account, they could see if it happends to them.
> However, I don't expect anybody to do it, only because of this. I don't
> install Firefox because of it. :)

OK, I get the point. For everyone else: StatCounter gives you code to 
add a hit counter to your page, and gives  you a number of options for 
how it should look and operate. Once you've made your selections, it 
gives you code like the following, in a TEXTAREA for some reason, so you 
can copy and paste it to your web page.

<!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
var sc_project=nnnnnn;
var sc_invisible=0;
var sc_partition=11;
var sc_security="11111111";
</script>

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" 
src="http://www.statcounter.com/counter/counter.js"></script><noscript><a 
href="http://www.statcounter.com/" target="_blank"><img 
src="http://c12.statcounter.com/counter.php?sc_project=nnnnnn&java=0&security=1111111&invisible=0" 
alt="free invisible hit counter" border="0"></a> </noscript>
<!-- End of StatCounter Code -->


The above was pasted from Firefox, and you can see that the query string 
  for counter.php has literal ampersands ("&"). If you View Page Source, 
it shows "&amp;".

In IE, the code as displayed in the TEXTAREA has the "&amp;":

src="http://c12.statcounter.com/counter.php?sc_project=nnnnnn&amp;java=0&amp;security=1111111&amp;invisible=0" 

View Source shows the underlying code to be "&amp;amp;".

So it looks as though Firefox is throwing in an extra round of replacements.
0
Harlan
5/10/2006 4:21:43 PM
Once upon a time *Harlan Messinger* wrote:
> Arne wrote:
>> Well, you are not the only one that can't make any sense of this. But
>> the fact is (as it's told to me anyway) when Firefox users generate the
>> code(see my other posts) that is "ready to copy" for everybody else (it
>> seams) they have to manually add the "amp;" part after the "&" to make
>> it valid code.
>> 
>> If I should see the same in my browsers (SeaMonkey and IE) I may have
>> suspected e.g. the code generator script, or the firewall. But if the
>> error is there, why does it affect only Firefox.
>> 
>> If anybody with Firefox in this NG would go to www.statcounter.com and
>> register for an tracker account, they could see if it happends to them.
>> However, I don't expect anybody to do it, only because of this. I don't
>> install Firefox because of it. :)
> 
> OK, I get the point. For everyone else: StatCounter gives you code to 
> add a hit counter to your page, and gives  you a number of options for 
> how it should look and operate. Once you've made your selections, it 
> gives you code like the following, in a TEXTAREA for some reason, so you 
> can copy and paste it to your web page.
> 
> <!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->
> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
> var sc_project=nnnnnn;
> var sc_invisible=0;
> var sc_partition=11;
> var sc_security="11111111";
> </script>
> 
> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" 
> src="http://www.statcounter.com/counter/counter.js"></script><noscript><a 
> href="http://www.statcounter.com/" target="_blank"><img 
> src="http://c12.statcounter.com/counter.php?sc_project=nnnnnn&java=0&security=1111111&invisible=0" 
> alt="free invisible hit counter" border="0"></a> </noscript>
> <!-- End of StatCounter Code -->
> 
> 
> The above was pasted from Firefox, and you can see that the query string 
>   for counter.php has literal ampersands ("&"). If you View Page Source, 
> it shows "&amp;".
> 
> In IE, the code as displayed in the TEXTAREA has the "&amp;":
> 
> src="http://c12.statcounter.com/counter.php?sc_project=nnnnnn&amp;java=0&amp;security=1111111&amp;invisible=0" 
> 
> View Source shows the underlying code to be "&amp;amp;".
> 
> So it looks as though Firefox is throwing in an extra round of replacements.

Thank you Harlan, it's a relief to see that it really is as what's told
me and I'm sorry I could not explain it better (as you did). My English
is far from what I wish it to be. :D

Is this something that could be reported as a bug in Firefox, if it's
not done yet? If we don't have any Firefox gurus in this group. :)

-- 
/Arne

Proud User of SeaMonkey. Get your free copy:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
0
Arne
5/10/2006 4:53:02 PM
Harlan Messinger <hmessinger.removethis@comcast.net> wrote: 

> "&amp;amp" will be interpreted as "&amp", which is indeed invalid. 

It's not, why would it?

-- 
David H�s�ther 
0
David
5/10/2006 5:25:39 PM
Once upon a time *David H�s�ther* wrote:
> Harlan Messinger <hmessinger.removethis@comcast.net> wrote: 
> 
>> "&amp;amp" will be interpreted as "&amp", which is indeed invalid. 
> 
> It's not, why would it?

There is a missing semicolon (;) in the end of the second "amp", so the
first "&amp;" is interpreted as "&" followed by "amp". It was a typo
from me. :)

-- 
/Arne

Proud User of SeaMonkey. Get your free copy:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
0
Arne
5/10/2006 5:35:34 PM
On Wed, 10 May 2006 14:22:41 +0200 Arne <invalid@domain.invalid> wrote:

| On a remote visitor tracker site (statcounter.com) when the tracker code
| that is to be pasted on a page, is generated using Firefox, the code to
| copy is shown in a text box. Part of the code is what I used in my
| initial post ("sc_project=402887&java=0&security"). In my browser and
| also in IE, this part shows the ampersands as "&amp;".
| 
| When I look at the source code for the page where the box with the
| generated code is, the ampersand shows as "&amp;amp", but when I
| validate the page, the W3C validator also complains about the "&", where
| the  "&amp;" (or "&amp;amp") should be.

If you want the browser to display "&" you code "&amp;".
If you want the browser to display "&amp;" you code "&amp;amp;".
If you want the browser to display "&amp;amp;" you code "&amp;amp;amp;".

If you code "&amp;amp;amp;" it will display as "&amp;amp;".
If you code "&amp;amp;" it will display as "&amp;".
If you code "&amp;" it will display as "&".

It's supposed to do that.

If you have a free standing & all by itself in the HTML, a validator should
complain about it, even though some browsers following the principle of "be
liberal in what you accept" will show it.  It may be able to tell the & is
freestanding because no alphanumerics follow it.  But in some cases you
might not get what you want even on the liberal browser.  The validator is
something that does not follow the "be liberal in what you accept" principle
because it's role is to detect all errors, even if they could function in
some situations.

If you write a program to translate some text where many characters that
would be encoded in special entities in HTML can be freestanding in their
own ASCII or UTF8 or other codes, that program would have to detect all
cases of characters that must be coded in HTML and code them.  If I type
in some HTML in plain text <em>like this</em> the expectation is that you
will see the HTML tags if you view the plain text.  So encoding this in
HTML means translating the < and > characters to &lt; and &gt; accordingly.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0
phil
5/10/2006 5:37:57 PM
David H�s�ther wrote:
> Harlan Messinger <hmessinger.removethis@comcast.net> wrote: 
> 
>> "&amp;amp" will be interpreted as "&amp", which is indeed invalid. 
> 
> It's not, why would it?

If your point was to pick on my loose use of the word "valid", I won't 
argue.

Other than that, it won't work as intended because it will at best be 
treated as four characters rather than as a character entity reference 
for a single ampersand character.
0
Harlan
5/10/2006 6:00:19 PM
> Is this something that could be reported as a bug in Firefox, if it's
> not done yet? If we don't have any Firefox gurus in this group. :)

You could probably report it as a bug in Firefox, but it would be 
simpler and probably safer to display your code fragment inside a single 
cell HTML table.

-- 
Steve Swift
http://www.ringers.org.uk
0
Steve
5/18/2006 2:32:40 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to change &quot;ASRL2:... &quot; to &quot;COM1&quot;?
Dear All, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have used com port in my vi. And When I run it in edit mode,&nbsp;the selection of com displays "COM1,COM2,LTP1". &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; But when I build it, and run it in another PC, it displays "ASRL2:...". &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I modify my vi to make it display COM1... in another PC? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; And If I only want to display all serial port such as COM1,...

&quot;re-entrant&quot; &quot;file I/O&quot; &quot;QSM_State Machines&quot;
&nbsp; &nbsp; I have trouble with writing (appending) to text file in a QSM that is in an "occurence mode" of operation whereby the queue waits for outside engueue to go ahead and do a task. The task is simply to write to a file a line of text. &nbsp; Outside producers give the queue its go ahead and data is sent along etc... &nbsp; WHat I am seeing in the logging functions are multiple errors (Error 1) Somehow Labview&nbsp;is not noticing that the reference is valid or it is invalidating the reference. &nbsp; Q is Should I just let the QSM loop to keep it alive and would that work? &nbsp; What is the rule concerning queue waiting for an event? Does the VI get flagged as idle and is that why the ref appears to be dropped?&nbsp; THere is no reason I can think of for the ref to be dropped. It is opened in the init frame then kept in a shift register. and available at each iteration in the QSM. &nbsp; The example works in a simple loop but not a loop that is waiting on an occurence.&nbsp; Why? &nbsp; The only work around I can manage is to use the path and open the reference when it is not valid which feels kind of&nbsp; silly if you get my drift &nbsp; Anyone seen this before? &nbsp; Thank You &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ...

VI &quot;FindInstrumentDrivers.vi&quot; was stopped at node &quot;&quot; at a call to &quot;IDF_WsIdOpen.vi&quot;
This what I get trying to download Instrument Drivers in LabVIEW 8.2. LabVIEW 8.6 doesn't succeed either. any ideas? Could just be an intermittent server problem. Does this happen all the time? At what point does it fail? When you first launch it, after you login? The network traffic indicates that it uses port 3339. Is this being blocked by your firewall? ...

Programmatic &quot;undo&quot; for &quot;FitControlToPane&quot; ?
Howdy neighbors!, (using LV8.2)&nbsp; I'm trying to develop a GUI that lets the user toggle a Tab-control between "Full Pane" and a&nbsp;reduced size/position - sorta-like&nbsp;the "Full Screen" option on many Video apps.&nbsp; The effect of the&nbsp;invoke-node method "FitControlToPane" is perfect (- :smileyhappy: -), but how to undo that effect?&nbsp; After&nbsp;FitControlToPane,&nbsp;"Scale Object with Pane" is selected in the IDE, yet I can't find a "property" for it. :smileysad:&nbsp; FitControlToPane also changes the visibility of vertical and horizontal scroll-bars - are these [VI Properties] programmatically settable? &nbsp; Cheers! &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; follow up... FitControlToPane also changes the visibility of vertical and horizontal scroll-bars - are these [VI Properties] programmatically settable? Feel kinda silly now, having advised someone else to search LabVIEW's HELP first! :smileytongue: &nbsp;- found Scrollbar Visibility can be set via (LV8.2)\ VI \Panel(reference)\Panes[0].HorizScrollbarVisibility. <img src="http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/239318/1/ScrollBar.JPG"> Still hunting for an&nbsp;elusive "Set Scaling Mode" method... (The&nbsp;Tab Control's&nbsp;"AutoGrow?" property doesn't seem to do anything!?)Message Edited by tbd on 04-03-2007 12:56 AM ScrollBar.JPG: ht...

&quot;VI was stopped at node &quot; &quot; at a call to &quot;In Port Old 6.x.vi&quot;&quot;
Hi. I am having problems with&nbsp;a VI&nbsp;that was initially developed for LABView 6i. I have upgraded to LABView 8.2 but whenever I run the program in LABView 8.2 I get the error message that my VI was stopped at node&nbsp; " " at a call to "In Port Old 6.x.vi". The VI generally aquires data from a measurement instrument via an RS232 COM port. I have searched the forum and the only reference to this problem mentioned that it can be solved by making "minor modifications" to the polymorphic In Port VI in LABView 8.2 but I have no idea how to do this. &nbsp; I would be most grateful if anyone can help me to do this. I am a newbie to LABView programming so I would require as much detail as possible. Thanks. &nbsp; tronix Hello, &nbsp; Have you followed the guidelines found on this document? &nbsp; <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/39129B46944215B686257069006CEC4E?OpenDocument" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/39129B46944215B686257069006CEC4E?OpenDocument</a> &nbsp; Contains information on how to proceed and how you can change the VI's needed to new ones. &nbsp; Hopes this helps! Hello. Thanks for your response. I did see the link. Part of the document says: tronix wrote: Hi. I am having problems with&nbsp;a VI&nbsp;that was initially developed for LABView 6i. I have upgraded to LABView 8.2 but whenever I run the program in L...

how to connect &quot;IMAQ Get Buffer.vi&quot; output terminal of &quot;Image Out&quot; to the input terminal of &quot;Image&quot; of &quot;IMAQ ColorImageToArray.vi&quot;
Hi, Thanks a lot for helping me till this stage.I am again stuck up with some problem.Please help me this time also. Actually i am making changes in already existingblock diagram and also i am new to this labview programming.And also time is very crucial. So i want to know if there is any way to connect the output of Image out terminal of IMAQ Get Buffer.vi to the input terminal of Image of IMAQ ColorImageToArray.vi. In the actual block diagram the output of Image out terminal of IMAQ GetBuffer.vi is connected to the input terminal of Image of IMAQ ImageToArray.vi. I want to change this becos i want to take RGB image as input and seperate R, G, B components. Please explain in terms of bloack diagram. ...

How to use &quot;GetLastInputInfo&quot; in &quot;user32.dll&quot;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hi, &nbsp; I need to logout user if he doesn't make action during 5 minutes, "GetLastInputInfo" method in the "user32.dll" library, return the tick of the last action, so I can&nbsp;know the inactivity time of the login user. &nbsp; But I try to using "Call Dll function" item in Labview 8.1, and each time I run VI, Labview crash. &nbsp; Next, is information about the method : &nbsp; DLL###############################User32.dll &nbsp; Syntax###############################BOOL GetLastInputInfo(PLASTINPUTINFO plii); &nbsp; Parameters###############################plii : [out] Pointer to a LASTINPUTINFO structure that receives the time of the last input event. Private Type LASTINPUTINFO &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; cbSize As Long &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; dwTime As Long End Type Return Value###############################If the function succeeds, the return value is nonzero.If the function fails, the return value is zero. &nbsp; Remarks###############################This function is useful for input idle detection. However, GetLastInputInfo does not provide system-wide user input information across all running sessions. Rather, GetLastInputInfo provides session-specific user input information for only the session that invoked the function. &nbsp; You can see also my VI source. &nbsp; GetLastInputInfo.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/31...

Installer &quot;Source file settings&quot;, &quot;VI Settings&quot; problem in 8.2
I have just upgraded from LabVIEW 8.0 to 8.2 and it seems the Installer "Source file settings", "VI Settings" check boxes no longer have any affect on the built application. &nbsp; For example, if I un-check the "Show Menu Bar" boxes for my Main.vi and build, when I run the built application the Main.vi Menu Bar is visible. &nbsp; It seemed to work as expected with 8.0 though. &nbsp; Any help and suggestions are much appreciated. &nbsp; Aaron Hi Seamus, Thanks for that and I look forward to hearing from you again Aaron ...

Difference between &quot;FP Close&quot; and &quot;FP Hidden&quot;
What is the difference between "Front Panel Close" and "Front Panel Hidden" ? "FP Close" works similar to "FP Hidden" at programming mode but not at the executable ! Is this normal ? At the executable "FP Close" seems to terminate the current vi. One more question: "FP Close" prevents the code that follows from been executed. It is a "violent" way to stop your current vi, but not the whole application. Am i right ? To add one additional thing: I made some tests now on how the Close/Hide differs for SubVIs, and saw no difference. So regardless of hiding or closing the FP of a SubVI, the execution of the VI keeps going on until either the VI is stopped or the MainVI gets unloaded.Attached you can find my test: Sub.VI is the Vi called by closeFP.VI using VI-Server. You can toggle several functions of the Sub, but please note that Sub does not get unloaded until closeFP is stopped.Norbert closeFP.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/299668/1/closeFP.vi sub.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/299668/2/sub.vi ...

The .NET assembly expected to be at &quot;&quot; was loaded from &quot;NULL&quot;
Hello, &nbsp; I use NET Components in a LabVIEW 8.2.1. VI and all work very fine. Now I convert it to LabVIEW 8.5 and I always get a warning, when open it. The Warning is : &nbsp;The .NET assembly expected to be at "" was loaded from "NULL". As example I add my CallbackVI in the Attachment. If somebody has an idea to remove this warning I would be thankful. &nbsp; Thanks in advance TE_NET_ToolStrip.ClickCallback.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/304243/1/TE_NET_ToolStrip.ClickCallback.vi Oh I was glad to early. The problem was only solved one time. When I changed something and saved again, I had again the troubles. &nbsp; I will recreate the VIs now. I already done, but it didn't helped. Now I read, that old one should be closed. ...

The use of the &quot;XY graph&quot; with the &quot;Read Traces&quot;
Hi, I'm trying to plot on "XY Graph"&nbsp; some informations wich are taken directly from the "Read Traces", and the problem is that the Start timestamp wich i enter to the "Read Traces" don't correspond to the beginning of the X axeof the graph. Can some one help me please. Question pour le forum NI.doc: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/334716/1/Question pour le forum NI.doc Hi basile Have you found an issue about your problem? Could you attach you code(.vi) please? Thanks. Regards. Hi&nbsp;&nbsp; R_DUVALThank you for your help but I found the solution to my problem.Best Regards ...

Problem mit Express VI &quot;Diadem report&quot; bzw. &quot;Messwerte in Datei schreiben&quot;
Hallo Zusammen! &nbsp; Habe ein Problem mit dem Express VI&nbsp; "Diadem report"&nbsp;&nbsp;bzw. "Messwerte in Datei schreiben" &nbsp; Mein Express VI befindet sich innerhalb einer While-Schleife, wo auch meine Messdaten (Regler mit Regelstrecke) generiertwerden. Folglich werden die "einzelnen" Abtastwerte der Regelung st�ndig in eine neue Datei geschrieben (somit erh�lt man quasi f�r jede Messung hunderte von Dateien bzw. einzelne Graphen pro abgetasteten Wert).Habe auch versucht das Express VI ausserhalb der Schleife zu platzieren, was nat�rlich auch nicht geht, da so nur ein Punkt gespeichert wird (da es ja nur einmal aufgerufen wird). Wie kann ich nur einen Report bzw. Datei f�r eine Messung erstellen...was mache ich falsch?? Brauche dringend eure Hilfe&nbsp; (LabView v8.2)Gru� Stonei Regelung mit PID Regler 51.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/303082/1/Regelung mit PID Regler 51.vi Danke f�r die schnelle Antwort! &nbsp; Hier mal ein&nbsp;jpg meines Programms vielleicht hilft es dir weiter?! &nbsp; Im normalen Programmablauf soll die While-Schleife eigentlich nie beendet werden, da es ja eine kontinuierliche Regelung ist. Ich w�rde gerne �ber einen boolschen Wert die Aufnahme der Daten starten und �ber einen zweiten boolschen Wert auch wieder beenden (w�hrend die Regelung l�uft), anschliessend soll ein Report der aufgenommenen Daten in Diadem erzeugt werden. &nbsp; Stecke leider noch in den...

'&&&&a'="&&&&a."
I need a data step that is equivalent to data _NULL_; file print; put '&&&&&&a=' "&&&&&&a"; run; Yet the number of & is a variable, I need to write a Macro, so far I got only half of the code('&&&&&&a.='), I don't know how to put the other half ("&&&&&&a.") into Macro Thanks. %Macro R(k); data _NULL_; file print; put %do i= 1 %to &k.; '&' %end; 'a=' ; run; %mend; %R(10); ==================================================...

"&prock", not "&block"
In all of the code below, "prock" by itself is always a proc, while the combination "&prock" is always a block: def my_proc &prock # accepts a block prock # returns a proc end prock = my_proc { p "Hello, world" } prock.call def doit &prock # param is redundant, but illustrative yield # yields to &prock, a block end doit &prock # same as 'doit { p "Hello, world" }' So, it seems to me that "prock" above is distinctly clearer than "...

Race Condition: &quot;Elapsed Time&quot; and &quot;Boolean Crossing&quot;
Hello. We are experiencing a pretty strange issue here and we are not sure how to solve it. The attached VI's are a simplified version of the code, but that exhibits the same behavior: The MAIN vi controls a boolean that is an input of the SUB vi. The SUB vi analyzes this boolean, and if its state is different than the last one read, a timer is reset. While the required time (2 sec) has NOT elapsed, the SUB vi outputs the last remembered value after the time has elapsed, the SUB vi finally outputs the new value. Now, the problem appears when depending on how we change the input boolean (for instance, if you change its state as soon as the "elapsed time pulse" is generated), the new value is NEVER sent to the SUB vi's output. In other words, depending on the moment the input is changed, the SUB vi doesn't get the change and never resets the timer. How can we solve this issue? Is there any special configuration that needs to be done in the used functions? Thank you very much for all help. Daniel ...

Unconfigured, Bad Status &quot;A&quot;, Bad Status &quot;B&quot;
Greeting All. I recently upgraded to LabVIEW 8.5.1, including LabVIEW-RT.My application acquires data from an AI-110 -- Compact FP module.Anyhow, to make a long story short, my program started to malfunction.[After lots of pain and suffering,] I learned that the call fo FP Read produces the error:Unconfigured, Bad Status "A", Bad Status "B"The error is frequent, and I cannot help to think that it is considerably diminishing the performance of all other tasks.Any Ideas? Can you post your code?&nbsp; RayR&nbsp; Certainly. Attached, you'll find a VI that resembles my worker-VI - which I use in my project.I run this VI inside of a state machine.&nbsp; It is initialized at the onset of execution.Thereafter, it is called upon [to read data] at 2Hz.The session is closed at the end.Thanks. ai110.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/328071/1/ai110.vi ...

Acqiuring data in &quot;Idle&quot; case and &quot;Go&quot; case
See SM Tester Bill 8-16-07 in the attached llb. &nbsp; On the block diagram, upper while loop, case "Idle" I have a Daq&nbsp;sub vi that displays the value on the front panel in a cluster on the front panel. (Works great) This allows the user to see the readings of the devices when they are mounting the pecimen under test.&nbsp; &nbsp; Next, I want to use the same Daq sub vi to display the data (to the same cluster on the fromt panel)&nbsp;&nbsp;for the&nbsp;"Go" case. In addition, I want the data collected in the "Go" case to be saved to a file. The intent is to collect the data as the motor moves. &nbsp; If I place my Daq sub vi in the "Go" case the data isn't collected because the "SM Move" vi then runs.&nbsp; If I place the Daq sub vi in the "SM Move" vi, the cluster appears on the front panel of the "SM Move" vi, not the main panel.&nbsp; &nbsp; Can someone suggest some good programming practices? &nbsp; Thanks, &nbsp; Bill SmartMotor.llb: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/265911/1/SmartMotor.llb Hi Bill, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I looked at your code (there are a few missing&nbsp;"SER"ial-port related VI, nothing serious)&nbsp;and have a question before suggesting a solution:&nbsp; I want the data collected in the "Go" case to be saved to a file. The intent is to collect th...

How to define &quot;byte stream type&quot; for &quot;open file&quot;?
Hello, I created some numbers (type "double") in Matlab and stored in a file. What value should I use to specify the "byte stream type" for "open file" in Labview? Should I put something like "DBL" or "I32". I don't know where to find the list of legal "types" in Labiew help. Thanks so much! Felicia Looks like 7.1:<img src="http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/347924/1/read%20file%207.png"> The Matlab "double" is 64 bits (8 bytes). It doesn't make much sense to use an integer datatype to read a floating point value, so you would use DBL in LabVIEW. The numeric data types table can be found <a href="http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/lv/71/lvhelp/Numeric_Data_Types_Table/" target="_blank">here</a>. By the way, this assumes you saved the file as raw binary, as opposed to a .mat file, which is something different. Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 08-08-2008 11:21 AM read file 7.png: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/347924/1/read file 7.png Thank both of you! I'm using Labview 6.1 base "Read File", just like the picture above. I've specified the byte stream type as DBL; however, the output is an array of string. What should I do with the string? I've tried to use "Decimal String To Number" but I got an output of "0". I've also tried the "Read From SGL File" in Labivew and ...

Adding an &quot;IMAQ Image.ctl&quot; to the &quot;Display State.ctl&quot; of an XControl prevents LabVIEW from creating a probe of &quot;Display State.ctl&quot;
I am working on an extended IMAQ Display control using LabVIEWs XControl capabilities. &nbsp; I need a copy of the original image passed to add some overlays which must not affect the original image. To achieve this I am creating a backup image in the "Init.vi" and deleting it in the "Uninit.vi". I am storing the reference&nbsp;of this image&nbsp;in the "Display State.ctl" which is part of every XControl. &nbsp; As soon as I am adding an "IMAQ Image.ctl" to the Display State cluster, it is no longer possible to generate a probe of the Display State cluster for debugging purposses. I am always getting the message: "Failed to load or create probe." Deleting the "IMAQ Image.ctl" from the cluster makes the probe working again. &nbsp; Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong? &nbsp; I am working with LabVIEW 8.5 and Vision 8.5. &nbsp; Regards &nbsp; Ingo Bartsch Hello Mr. Bartsch, is it possible for you to post a small example to reproduce the behaviour? It would be helpful to get a description in which way you use the typedef files. I found a example/knowledge base where some informations were included to XControl and LV but not with Vision. <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1DC1ADD2A136DA298625712C00635758?OpenDocument" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1DC1ADD2A136DA298625712C00635758?OpenDocument</a> Best wishes Ja...

How can I use an iteration value from a &quot;while&quot; (or &quot;for&quot;) loop as part of a filename?
I am using the "Write To Measurement File" function&nbsp; inside a while structure and would like to incorporate the iterative value from the while-loop as part of the file name. I'm not sure how to do it. Any suggestions? &nbsp; ...

plug-in &quot;not installed&quot; in my LabVIEW project's &quot;Build Specifications&quot;
I moved my LabVIEW project from one computer to another, now when I click on any item under the project's "Build Specifications", I get an error reading "The plug-in for the selected item is not installed on your system." Does anybody know how to fix this? I have no idea what this "plug-in" is.Attached is a screenshot. plug-in error.PNG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/222664/1/plug-in error.PNG ...

Can classes &quot;make&quot; controls and indicators &quot;appear&quot; on the front panel.
This is what I was hoping to do. I would define a parent class called signal that was really just an interface class. All of the child classes, analog in, analog out, digital in, etc. would have to override the VI?s in the signal class. So, the first thing that the program would do is to read a text file line by line, and on each line there would be a tag telling the program which type of signal to create. Next the newly created signal would be casted up to the parent class and put into an array. Once I have my array of signals, on the front panel I would have an array of text boxes. The text boxes would be displaying the names of the signals. In a search text box, the user can type some of the characters that are in the name of a signal, and the array would reduce the list until the user finds the signal they want. Here?s what I can?t figure out. I wanted the user to click a button next to the text box, that is listing the name of the signal they wanted, and the controls for that type of signal would appear to the right of the text box. How do I make the controls appear to the right of the text box? The controls are basically an indicator for reading an analog input or several controls that allow for ramping or stepping an analog output or setting a digital output or reading a digital input, etc. I?m hoping that the class can ?make? the controls and indicators ?appear? on the front panel. Any suggestions? &nbsp; Thank you! &nbsp; "Then write some helper meth...

How do I disable the Dialog Box Pop Up when using the &quot;Open/Create/Replace File&quot; VI?
I would simply like to write data in real-time to a file without the operator being prompted by a Dialog Box. Please see attachment for the code I used. &nbsp; Thank you! LabVIEW_Write To File Code.doc: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/243833/1/LabVIEW_Write To File Code.doc Try putting the entire path including the file name (and not just the folder) as a path constant (and not use the string to path function) to the file path input. &nbsp; <img src="http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/243916/1/Open_Create_Replace.PNG"> Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 04-25-2007 01:37 PM Open_Create_Replace.PNG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/243916/1/Open_Create_Replace.PNG Dennis Knutson wrote: Try putting the entire path including the file name (and not just the folder) as a path constant (and not use the string to path function) to the file path input. Dennis, Good lesson for me ! :smileyhappy: I m also not familiar with this thing of putting the entire path of a file, even if I wire a False to the Advisory Dialog inout. I thought that it is the maximum feasibility in LV. You opened my eyes &amp; brain. :smileywink: ...

Re: i am having a problem with while loops, i have two while loops, i have a random number generator inside the &quot;inside&quot; loop and i want to read an array outside the &quot;outer&quot;
I think I have a similar problem - I have a while loop with Flat Sequence controlled for loop that produces output. This output needs to be displayed every while loop pass, but I get no output as the while loop feeds back thru a shift register and repeats all the innner funcions without sending the ouput to form new entries in the array. &nbsp; Is there any way we could stop the while loop for a split second (but practically just for no time, so that no time is wasted when it outputs the data)? &nbsp; Or is it a bad approach altogether? &nbsp; Appreciate any advice. &nbsp; kolorek ...

Web resources about - Problems with "&amp;" changing to "&" - comp.authoring.html

Resources last updated: 3/20/2016 2:41:36 PM