Unbelievable :-) !

From the preamble to a recently emailed web-survey invitation:

: This survey is only compatible with Chrome, Internet Explorer or Safari
: browsers. It is not compatible with Firefox. Please swith to one of these
: browsers before you continue if you are using Firefox.

Are they still doing this nonsense in this day and age? Pshaw! (Maybe their
inability to spell "switch" right is indicative of their acumen generally.)

Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
7/7/2016 6:44:53 PM
comp.authoring.html 7078 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 14:44:53 -0400, tlvp wrote:
> From the preamble to a recently emailed web-survey invitation:
>
>: This survey is only compatible with Chrome, Internet Explorer or Safari
>: browsers. It is not compatible with Firefox. Please swith to one of these
>: browsers before you continue if you are using Firefox.
>
> Are they still doing this nonsense in this day and age? Pshaw! (Maybe their
> inability to spell "switch" right is indicative of their acumen generally.)
>
> Cheers, -- tlvp

That's probably because the site want to track user data and they don't want
to loose that capability. Because Chrome are best for this and most users
aren't customizing its command line. MSIE is practically an open book. And
Safari is the least configurable.
0
JJ
7/8/2016 2:19:46 PM
On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 21:19:46 +0700, JJ wrote:

> That's probably because the site want to track user data and they don't want
> to loose that capability. Because Chrome are best for this and most users
> aren't customizing its command line. MSIE is practically an open book. And
> Safari is the least configurable.

Ah, so it's not just the usual clueless "This sited best viewed with ..."
gambit, but something more sinister, eh? Thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
7/10/2016 3:41:56 AM
On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 23:41:56 -0400, tlvp wrote:

> Ah, so it's not just the usual clueless "This sited best viewed with ..."
> gambit, but something more sinister, eh? Thanks for the heads-up!
>
> Cheers, -- tlvp

Well, that standard issue "This sited best viewed with ..." message is a
different matter. It basically says "This site was designed for XXX because
we only have that browser to test with. And even if we have others, we like
that one best."

Nowaday sites don't use that message (cause they've realized it made them
look bad). They'd use something like "For best user experience, we recommend
XXX." They do use functions that only one/some browsers have, but for most
sites, the usage of those functions aren't crucial to main site's
functionalities. e.g. most are just for eye candy, data tracking, ads, and
social crap.
0
JJ
7/10/2016 1:12:59 PM
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 20:12:59 +0700, JJ wrote:

> Nowaday sites ... use something like "For best user experience, we recommend
> XXX." They do use functions that only one/some browsers have, but for most
> sites, the usage of those functions aren't crucial to main site's
> functionalities. e.g. most are just for eye candy, data tracking, ads, and
> social crap.

Still, that's not how to make friends and influence people, is it now :-) ?

Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp