f



Access to Safari

Apple used to make a version of Safari available to Windows users, which 
was very useful to folk like us.  I couldn't understand one respected 
contributor's comments on one of my pages until I found out that Safari 
handled the alignment of inline-block items (I can dig out the reference 
if anyone's interested) differently from IE, Chrome and Firefox.

They stopped updating Safari for Windows some time ago, and it's now a 
bit too old to be useful.  What do Windows developers do to check what 
things look like on a Mac/iPad, etc?


-- 

Phil, London
0
Philip
8/21/2016 7:10:02 PM
comp.authoring.stylesheets 8158 articles. 0 followers. mdmoura (161) is leader. Post Follow

6 Replies
141 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 0

Philip Herlihy <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote on 21 Aug 2016 in 
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

> Apple used to make a version of Safari available to Windows users, which 
> was very useful to folk like us.  I couldn't understand one respected 
> contributor's comments on one of my pages until I found out that Safari 
> handled the alignment of inline-block items (I can dig out the reference 
> if anyone's interested) differently from IE, Chrome and Firefox.
> 
> They stopped updating Safari for Windows some time ago, and it's now a 
> bit too old to be useful.  What do Windows developers do to check what 
> things look like on a Mac/iPad, etc?

Ignore and hope for the best?

-- 
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
0
Evertjan
8/21/2016 10:53:27 PM
In article <MPG.32240ce0e5e89ba8989730@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Philip Herlihy <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:

> Apple used to make a version of Safari available to Windows users, which 
> was very useful to folk like us.  I couldn't understand one respected 
> contributor's comments on one of my pages until I found out that Safari 
> handled the alignment of inline-block items (I can dig out the reference 
> if anyone's interested) differently from IE, Chrome and Firefox.
> 
> They stopped updating Safari for Windows some time ago, and it's now a 
> bit too old to be useful.  What do Windows developers do to check what 
> things look like on a Mac/iPad, etc?

You can use online services like BrowserStack.

-- 
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
0
Barry
8/22/2016 12:14:21 AM
In article <MPG.32240ce0e5e89ba8989730@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Philip Herlihy <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:

>  What do Windows developers do to check what 
> things look like on a Mac/iPad, etc?

If they have no access to Macs, they might use VirtualBox? Or, as 
Barry says, BrowserStack.

-- 
dorayme
0
dorayme
8/22/2016 8:54:21 AM
In article <do_ray_me-90DF9F.18542122082016@46.sub-75-242-
165.myvzw.com>, do_ray_me@bigpond.com says...
> 
> In article <MPG.32240ce0e5e89ba8989730@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  Philip Herlihy <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:
> 
> >  What do Windows developers do to check what 
> > things look like on a Mac/iPad, etc?
> 
> If they have no access to Macs, they might use VirtualBox? Or, as 
> Barry says, BrowserStack.

Thanks.  I'll look into BrowserStack (thanks Barry!).  I've no Mac 
experience recent enough (20+years) to be useful.  Can you get a Mac OS 
license free?  Or at modest cost?  A lot more trouble than installing a 
Windows version of Safari!

-- 

Phil, London
0
Philip
8/22/2016 10:37:52 AM
In article <XnsA66C91091034eejj99@194.109.6.166>, 
exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net says...
> 
> Philip Herlihy <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote on 21 Aug 2016 in 
> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
> 
> > Apple used to make a version of Safari available to Windows users, which 
> > was very useful to folk like us.  I couldn't understand one respected 
> > contributor's comments on one of my pages until I found out that Safari 
> > handled the alignment of inline-block items (I can dig out the reference 
> > if anyone's interested) differently from IE, Chrome and Firefox.
> > 
> > They stopped updating Safari for Windows some time ago, and it's now a 
> > bit too old to be useful.  What do Windows developers do to check what 
> > things look like on a Mac/iPad, etc?
> 
> Ignore and hope for the best?

The default approach!

-- 

Phil, London
0
Philip
8/22/2016 10:40:01 AM
In article <MPG.3224e6423f5d65a8989734@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Philip Herlihy <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:

> In article <do_ray_me-90DF9F.18542122082016@46.sub-75-242-
> 165.myvzw.com>, do_ray_me@bigpond.com says...
> > 
> > In article <MPG.32240ce0e5e89ba8989730@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  Philip Herlihy <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:
> > 
> > >  What do Windows developers do to check what 
> > > things look like on a Mac/iPad, etc?
> > 
> > If they have no access to Macs, they might use VirtualBox? Or, as 
> > Barry says, BrowserStack.
> 
> Thanks.  I'll look into BrowserStack (thanks Barry!).  I've no Mac 
> experience recent enough (20+years) to be useful.  Can you get a Mac OS 
> license free?  Or at modest cost?  A lot more trouble than installing a 
> Windows version of Safari!

No, you can't get a Mac OS license without a real Mac. You can run OS X 
in a virtual machine on a Mac, but the EULA doesn't allow running it on 
a VM on a non-Mac. That said, I'm sure there are lots of people ignoring 
this restriction.

-- 
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
0
Barry
8/22/2016 3:48:30 PM
Reply: