font size relative to "top level" font size

Hi,

is there a possibility to set the font size to a percent value of the
"top level" font size?

For example:

The font size of the body might be 100% and I have a div which should
have a font size of 80% of this value, independent of other tags around
this div:

       of the 90% of the parent div</div>

regards,
Achim
0
Achim
12/14/2005 11:16:30 AM
comp.authoring.stylesheets 8158 articles. 0 followers. mdmoura (161) is leader. Post Follow

Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:16:30 +0100 from Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions
GmbH) <achim.domma@syynx.de>:
> is there a possibility to set the font size to a percent value of the
> "top level" font size?
>
> For example:
>
> The font size of the body might be 100% and I have a div which should
> have a font size of 80% of this value, independent of other tags around
> this div:

Nope -- no way. It would be useful in some circumstances, but each
element inherits its base size for %age calculations from its parent.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#propdef-font-size

CSS does have absolute font size like "medium", but you don't want to
use them because you have no idea what size the user has set up in
the browser.

                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator:      http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec:   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator:      http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
    http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
0
Stan

correct "sizing" of Helvetica font, relative to various times-new-roman fonts, to have both fonts have the same x-height
Greetings! I hope the following isn't an faq (at least, it doesn't seem to be in the UK TUG FAQ). Basically, my question comes up because I'm involved in a project that requires the use of "Times New Roman" (hereafter, TNR) as the main text font and "Helvetica" as the sans-serif font. I use both TexLive 2010 and MikTeX 2.9 on PCs and TexLive/MacTeX 2010 on an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.5. As is well known, Helvetica and TNR differ considerably in their x- heights (for a given font size of, say, 10pt or 12pt). In various packages. (The letters u, v, w, and z work as well...) I've found references on comp.text.tex to the effect that Helvetica should be scaled down by about 6 percent in order to make it have the same x- height as TNR. This is easily accomplished by loading, e.g., the helvet package with the "scaled=0.94 option", viz., \usepackage[scaled=0.94]{helvet}. My issue is that I am puzzled why others state that the scaling factor should be about 6%. Based on extensive font size comparisons, I believe the scaling factor should be about 12.6% when using the "standard" TNR fonts, and 14.3% when using the txfonts package, if the objective is to get TNR and Helvetica to have the exact-same x- heights. Is this discrepancy because the old instructions/suggestions I've found are based on some TNR implementation (which I don't seem to have access to) with a radically different, viz., l...

combining "text-align: center" and "font-size: 22px"

What "Preferences" Font Setting Determines the "Datatips" Font?
I'd like to specify a particular font ("ProFontWindows" 8pt or 9pt) for the "Datatips". Where in "File" > "Preferences" > "Fonts" do I need to go to set it? I realize this is trivial as problems go, but I can't figure it out! Thanks! Vi�arr ----------------- Hi Vi�arr, the datatips follow the font that the Editor uses: File --> Preferences --> Fonts --> "Desktop code font." (You can also specify a particular font for the Editor under Fonts --> Custom.) Jared "Vi�arr" <g-w-bush-is-...

font re-sizing "shortcut"?

is there a font size smaller than "small"??
need to get psfrag to replace some text at smaller than what it is doing it now. Is there an option for something smaller than '\small'?? - Kwaj Kwaj <k.oteng@nospamstudent.unsw.edu.au> wrote: > need to get psfrag to replace some text at smaller than what it is doing it > now. Is there an option for something smaller than '\small'?? In order of increasing size: \tiny(5), \scriptsize(7), \footnotesize(8), \small(9), \normalsize(10), \large(12), \Large(14), \LARGE(17), \Huge(20), \HUGE(25) -- William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@...

How to change the font size in "msgbox"?
Hi all, How can one change the font size in message windows like "msgbox", "inputdlg", "warndlg", and others? I searched for 'FontSize' property for "msgbox", or something similar, but couldn't find. Thanks a lot, Utzli Utzli Gutzli wrote: > > > Hi all, > > How can one change the font size in message windows like "msgbox", > "inputdlg", "warndlg", and others? > I searched for 'FontSize' property for "msgbox", or something > similar, but couldn't find. > > Thanks a lot, > Utzli Ur a curious one... :) h = msgbox('text'); ah = get( h, 'CurrentAxes' ); ch = get( ah, 'Children' ); set( ch, 'FontSize', 20 ); (Just have a look at how msgbox.m works: edit msgbox) Have fun Michael > How can one change the font size in message windows like "msgbox", > "inputdlg", "warndlg", and others? utzli - i changed the font and fontsize to the msgbox as follows: fontName = 'FixedWidth'; fontSize = 12; msgHandle = msgbox( msg, title, icon ); % get handles to the UIControls ([OK] PushButton) and Text kids0 = findobj( msgHandle, 'Type', 'UIControl' ); kids1 = findobj( msgHandle, 'Type', 'Text' ); % change the font and fontsize extent0 = get( kids1, 'Extent' ); % text extent in old font set( [kids0, kids1], 'FontName', fontNa...

"Fonts" and "Faces"
Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces Each of them having Special Places (to be sung to the tune of "Love and Marriage" in the musical "Our Town"! I just want to anchor down the correct terminology. A "font" is such as Arno Pro and a "face" is, in the context of Arno Pro, "bold" or "italic" or "regular" and so on. So, the question is, am I correct? -- James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@me.com TaliesinSoft wrote: > Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces > Each of them having Special Places > > ...

How to use CM fonts at the "wrong" size?
Hi all, I'm trying to convince my university to let me LaTeX my thesis. To my astonishment, they've been somewhat accommodating, but have one objection so far. They're not thrilled with the Computer Modern fonts because they've been variously described as "too light" or "too modern." Their concern is that the thesis won't reproduce acceptably. Anyway, I was using the report class with 12pt option. Knowing that smaller CM sizes are, relatively speaking, heavier than larger sizes when scaled to the same height, I ran a test. I made a sample page using 1...

I can put out a Word Doc from PHP but if I try and manipulate the font size in the PHP part it outputs a blank Word Document. Here is what I have: <?php $fname="report.doc"; $handle = fopen( $fname, "rb" ); $buf = fread( $handle, filesize( $fname )); fclose( $handle ); $len = strlen( $buf ); header( "Pragma: public" ); header( "Cache-Control: private" ); header( "Connection: close" ); header( "Content-Type: application/msword" ); header( "Content-Length: $len" ); header( "Co...

parition question: "Fixed size" vs "Fill to maximum allowable size"
During install, you can druid to create parition with options of "Fixed size" or "Fill to maximum allowable size". My questions are 1) What is the difference between the two ? 2) Can I use fdisk to create a parition with option of "Fill to maximum allowable size" ? Thanks. Jamie jm_ddi wrote: > During install, you can druid to create parition with options of "Fixed > size" or "Fill to maximum allowable size". My questions are > 1) What is the difference between the two ? fixed size == size with a distinct value defined by the...

Font size 13pt in document class "extsizes"?
Hello, are there any extensions to use a 13pt font in the document class extsizes? The standard class only allows 14, 17 and 20pt, but I urgendly need 13pt! Any help is welcome, thanks in advance, Thomas Thomas Meyer wrote: > are there any extensions to use a 13pt font in the document class > extsizes? The standard class only allows 14, 17 and 20pt, but I > urgendly need 13pt! If you urgently need something 13pt, you are going to need some programming. The size of the body font has a big impact on many lenghts in a document. Just look at size14.clo, to see what I mean. The LaTeX...

<tt> with "font-size: 100%" ?
Internet Explorer displays <tt>, <code> etc. in a smaller font size: http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/monospace.html I don't like the idea that monospaced text is displayed in a different size. Should we state "font-size:�100%" with monospaced text? -- Meanwhile at the Google Ranch ... "I can't read this bloody site; it's all Falsh and JavaScrap." "Forget it and move on! Still 2�718�281�828 pages to crawl." On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:29:36 +0100, Andreas Prilop <nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de> wrote: >...

I can put out a Word Doc from PHP but if I try and manipulate the font size in the PHP part it outputs a blank Word Document. Here is what I have: <?php $fname="report.doc"; $handle = fopen( $fname, "rb" ); $buf = fread( $handle, filesize( $fname )); fclose( $handle ); $len = strlen( $buf ); header( "Pragma: public" ); header( "Cache-Control: private" ); header( "Connection: close" ); header( "Content-Type: application/msword" ); header( "Content-Length: $len" ); header( "Co...

relsize: What to do with "Failed to get list of font sizes."
Hi, I'm using relsize 3.1 with memoir/fourier/microtype and get the following error: Failed to get list of font sizes. What can I do about this? (Or, what further info do you need to diagnose the problem?) Erik On Sep 30, 1:09 pm, Erik Quaeghebeur <equae...@nospammail.net> wrote: > I'm using relsize 3.1 with memoir/fourier/microtype and get the following > error: > > Failed to get list of font sizes. > > What can I do about this? > (Or, what further info do you need to diagnose the problem?) That means that all of the size-changing commands (like \larg...

Change font and size of word "References" in article class
Can someone please help me change the centering and size of the word "References". It currently comes up as being much larger than the rest of the text and is on the left margin rather than centred )which is where I would like it to be). I am using the biblatex system and here are the relevant parts of the document. \documentclass[a4paper,12pt,oneside]{article} \usepackage[style=apa,sorting=nyt,sortcites=true]{biblatex} \usepackage{fancyhdr} \usepackage{lastpage} \begin{document} \doublespacing ***TEXT AND REFERENCES OMITTED**** \newpage \singlespacing \printbibl...

What to do with "Size substitutions with differences(Font) up to 0.43996pt have occurred."
Hi, I'm using memoir/amssymb/fourier/microtype and get the following error: Size substitutions with differences(Font) up to 0.43996pt have occurred. What can I do about this? Is it possible for me to pinpoint the offending text in my document and remove/replace it? (Or, what further information do you need to diagnose the problem?) Erik Am Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:12:23 +0200 schrieb Erik Quaeghebeur: > Hi, > > I'm using memoir/amssymb/fourier/microtype and get the following error: > > Size substitutions with differences(Font) up to 0.43996pt have occurred. > >...

help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"
Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script. Can someone please educate me? :-) Thanks! set term png set output '| display png:-' # cool trick plot sin(x) with lines Setting the term font does not help: set term png font arial 14 size 800,600 Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation LiberationMono-Bold.ttf LiberationSans-Regular.ttf LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf LiberationMono-Italic.ttf LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationMono-Regular.ttf LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf LiberationSans-Bold.ttf LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf LiberationSans-BoldItalic.ttf fonts.dir LiberationSans-Italic.ttf fonts.scale But when I try setting GDFONTPATH, it still gets the same error: rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font Rich Cook wrote: > H...

Font size 13pt in document class "book"? Please help me!
Hello, I am quite new to LaTex. I am urgently looking for an easy possibility to increase the font size in the document class "book" to 13pt. What can I do? Is it necessary to use an alternative class? What are the impacts to my document then? Thanks in advance for your help. Thomas In article <704b0753.0409210244.7d284b90@posting.google.com>, tm@tzi.de says... I guess you could use extsizes. Search the internet for its documentation ...

Adjusting font-size for system font-size
In Windows XP, there's an accessability wizard that allows the user to change the font size for readability. There's probably something similar in other operating systems. I think it would be a nice thing to do for any users with large system font sizes to detect that and offer up an alternative stylesheet. I don't know how to approach this, though, and I'm sure it involves more than CSS. Is it possible to detect this setting? Ian -- http://www.bookstacks.org/ On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:53:45 GMT, Ian <blank@blank.com> wrote: >I think it would be a nice th...

"security" font
Hello, I need to find a "security" font to use as a background watermark on a document (ie, on a legal document, the customer's name is repeatedly printed in faint 8 point type angled at 45 degrees all over the page). I've tried to recreate this by using outline fonts, but the printed results at 300 and 600 dpi don't look very good. I've tried to stroke it using different dashed lines, by turning the glyphs into a path and filling using a stippled pattern, and by simply changing the gray level - but the results are only reliable at 1200dpi, and most of our customer...

[fonts] Installing "local" fonts (lm)
Hello, I recently tried to install fonts locally. I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in $TEXINPUTS and i can successfully use packages installed in /mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example. As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern - http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue (cannot use the fonts). Sadly, http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help, or i missed something trivial... Here is how I actually did this : 1/ extra...

"Font not available" error. How do I get the font??
Hi All, I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the alternative to replace the original fonts with some others. However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not available? TIA, jbr On Jun 20, 2006, BigBen wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that > some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the > altern...

Web resources about - font size relative to "top level" font size - comp.authoring.stylesheets