Instead of clip

I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is deprecated.
What other way to only leave a rectangular section of content is there?

Andrew Poulos
0
Andrew
10/6/2016 9:56:03 PM
comp.authoring.stylesheets 8158 articles. 0 followers. mdmoura (161) is leader. Post Follow

Andrew Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> wrote on 06 Oct 2016 in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

> I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is deprecated.
> What other way to only leave a rectangular section of content is there?

overflow: hidden;

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
On 7/10/2016 9:18 AM, Evertjan. wrote:
> Andrew Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> wrote on 06 Oct 2016 in
> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
>
>> I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is deprecated.
>> What other way to only leave a rectangular section of content is there?
>
> overflow: hidden;

Ok, but how does that allow you to clip the top and left sides?

Andrew Poulos
0
Andrew
10/7/2016 12:27:52 AM
On 07/10/2016 00:56, Andrew Poulos wrote:
> I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is deprecated.

I wouldn't worry about that at all. MDN is too enthusiastic here, stating:

"This feature has been removed from the Web standards. Though some
browsers may still support it, it is in the process of being dropped. Do
not use it in old or new projects. Pages or Web apps using it may break
at any time."

The same editors' draft (that "is provided for discussion only and may
change at any moment") that deprecates 'clip' states that "UAs must
support the clip property." Clip is here to stay :)

--
Best wishes, Osmo
0
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

> On 7/10/2016 9:18 AM, Evertjan. wrote:
>> Andrew Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> wrote on 06 Oct 2016 in
>> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
>>
>>> I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is deprecated.
>>> What other way to only leave a rectangular section of content is there?
>>
>> overflow: hidden;
>
> Ok, but how does that allow you to clip the top and left sides?

Well, stop thinking about the clipping concept, but position the img so it
would overflow.

Anyway, why be bothered by deprecation, do you write code that needs to run
on browsers for 50 years?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
 Osmo Saarikumpu <osmo@weppipakki.com> wrote:

> On 07/10/2016 00:56, Andrew Poulos wrote:
> > I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is deprecated.
>
> I wouldn't worry about that at all. MDN is too enthusiastic here, stating:
>
> "This feature has been removed from the Web standards. Though some
> browsers may still support it, it is in the process of being dropped. Do
> not use it in old or new projects. Pages or Web apps using it may break
> at any time."

Don't use it in *old* projects? Are we supposed to go back in time and
warn our younger selves that it's going to be deprecated and they should
code it differently back then?

> The same editors' draft (that "is provided for discussion only and may
> change at any moment") that deprecates 'clip' states that "UAs must
> support the clip property." Clip is here to stay :)

That's what "deprecated" means -- it's not removed yet, so it has to
continue working for backward compatibility.

But the reality is that web browsers rarely drop anything unless they
really have to. If someone wrote a web page a decade ago, we expect it
to still work today.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
>I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is deprecated.
What other way to only leave a rectangular section of content is there?

If we read further we find:

"This property is deprecated. Use clip-path (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/clip-path) instead."

0
Ram
10/8/2016 2:00:54 PM
On 9/10/2016 1:00 AM, Ram Tobolski wrote:

>> I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is
>> deprecated.
> What other way to only leave a rectangular section of content is
> there?
>
> If we read further we find:
>
> "This property is deprecated. Use clip-path
> (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/clip-path)
> instead."

And if we read even further we find that clip-path is not supported in
anything other than Firefox.

Andrew Poulos
0
Andrew
10/8/2016 9:07:40 PM
>And if we read even further we find that clip-path is not supported in anything other than Firefox.

And if we read even further than that, we find that clip-path is quite widely supported with vendor-prefixes (e.g. -webkit-clip-path) (http://stackoverflow.com/a/34723602/4402222)
0
Ram
10/8/2016 9:51:48 PM
In article <c6f83f92-b8db-4490-8894-1b548a220c27@googlegroups.com>,
 Ram Tobolski <ramtob@gmail.com> wrote:

> >And if we read even further we find that clip-path is not supported in
> >anything other than Firefox.
>
> And if we read even further than that, we find that clip-path is quite widely
> supported with vendor-prefixes (e.g. -webkit-clip-path)
> (http://stackoverflow.com/a/34723602/4402222)

I hope this is not going to get to Donald Trump's latest ravings
eventually.

--
dorayme
0
> In article <c6f83f92-b8db-4490-8894-1b548a220c27@googlegroups.com>,
>   Ram Tobolski <ramtob@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> And if we read even further we find that clip-path is not supported in
>>> anything other than Firefox.
>>
>> And if we read even further than that, we find that clip-path is quite widely
>> supported with vendor-prefixes (e.g. -webkit-clip-path)
>> (http://stackoverflow.com/a/34723602/4402222)
>
> I hope this is not going to get to Donald Trump's latest ravings
> eventually.

Hopefully it will find its way into Hillary's.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
Andrew Poulos wrote:

> I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is deprecated.

Based on a document that has been hanging in the W3C Candidate
Recommendation status since *2014-08*, and got *demoted* to Editor’s Draft
in 2016-07:

,-<https://www.w3.org/TR/2014/CR-css-masking-1-20140826/#clip-property>

| […]
| This is a public copy of the editors' draft. It is provided for discussion
| only and may change at any moment. Its publication here does not imply
| endorsement of its contents by W3C. Don’t cite this document other than as
| work in progress.
| […]

> What other way to only leave a rectangular section of content is there?

“clip-path”.  As always, declare “clip” first for layout engines that still
support it, then “clip-path” for layout engines that already support it; if
you find that no layout engine that you want to support requires “clip”, and
every layout engine that you want to support suppports “clip-path”, remove
the “clip” declaration.  “Deprecated” does _not_ mean “forbidden”.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
Thomas
10/10/2016 11:49:47 AM
Andrew Poulos wrote:

> And if we read even further we find that clip-path is not supported in
> anything other than Firefox.

And if "we" would read even further, "we" would find that MDN is out of date
on this:

<http://caniuse.com/#feat=css-clip-path>

Your research is lacking depth.

PointedEars
  -- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>
0
Thomas
10/10/2016 11:52:09 AM
Andrew Poulos wrote:

> I need to clip some content but MDN tells me that clip is deprecated.

Based on a document that has been hanging in the W3C Candidate
Recommendation status since *2014-08*, and got *demoted* to Editor’s Draft
in 2016-07:

,-<https://www.w3.org/TR/2014/CR-css-masking-1-20140826/#clip-property>

| […]
| This is a public copy of the editors' draft. It is provided for discussion
| only and may change at any moment. Its publication here does not imply
| endorsement of its contents by W3C. Don’t cite this document other than as
| work in progress.
| […]

> What other way to only leave a rectangular section of content is there?

“clip-path”.  As always, declare “clip” first for layout engines that still
support it, then “clip-path” for layout engines that already support it; if
you find that no layout engine that you want to support requires “clip”, and
every layout engine that you want to support supports “clip-path”, remove