Validator gives: "Uncaught error java.lang.Exception: Import loop detected"

Hi,

When I validate this page: http://www.drfunkenstein.net/using
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/, I get the following results:

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A//www.drfunkenstein.net/

Or briefly:

"Uncaught error java.lang.Exception: Import loop detected in
http://www.drfunkenstein.net/styles/base.css"

I'm guessing that the validator is telling me there's some kind of loop
created by the import statements in my CSS, but I can't for the life of
me see the error. The java.lang.Exception part makes me suspicious that
this is a bug in the validator rather than in my CSS, but I can't be
certain and it's probably a fault in my CSS :)

Any ideas would be very gratefully appreciated, thanks for reading.
Matt :)

0
Matt
3/18/2005 2:01:36 PM
comp.authoring.stylesheets 8158 articles. 0 followers. mdmoura (161) is leader. Post Follow

Matt Bostock wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I validate this page: http://www.drfunkenstein.net/using
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/, I get the following results:
>
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A//www.drfunkenstein.net/
>
> Or briefly:
>
> "Uncaught error java.lang.Exception: Import loop detected in
> http://www.drfunkenstein.net/styles/base.css"

here it says:
Please, validate your XML document first!

maybe a good advice indeed

0
Martin
3/18/2005 2:35:56 PM
Please try again; I was working on that page in the last 5 minutes and
I hadn't yet checked for validation.

It's 100% valid XHTML now.

Thanks,
Matt

0
Matt
3/18/2005 2:45:04 PM
Matt Bostock wrote:

> Please try again; I was working on that page in the last 5 minutes and
> I hadn't yet checked for validation.
>
> It's 100% valid XHTML now.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

it looks like you confuse the validator by referring to the same .css
files in screen.css, projection.css and handheld.css.
0
Martin
3/18/2005 3:07:25 PM
Martin! wrote:
> it looks like you confuse the validator by referring to the same .css

> files in screen.css, projection.css and handheld.css.

....but they're all for different media - surely that'd make it a bug
with the validator?

Thanks,
Matt

0
Matt
3/18/2005 3:44:13 PM
Matt Bostock wrote:

> Martin! wrote:
>
>>it looks like you confuse the validator by referring to the same .css
>

>>files in screen.css, projection.css and handheld.css.
>

> ...but they're all for different media - surely that'd make it a bug
> with the validator?

i didnt invent this, i tested with your code
0
Martin
3/18/2005 3:56:15 PM
Yes, I'm quite aware that you didn't 'invent' the validator. I didn't
imply that you had. You might be correct that the validator is confused
by my multiple references to the same .css files from different
stylesheets (albeit for different media); I'm not sure however whether
that means it's an error with my CSS or with the validator.

I was hoping for a response for someone who may have experienced a
similar error in the past, or someone with an in-depth grasp of that
particular validator.

Many thanks,
Matt

0