Text filtering in a text field

Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and
filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a
text field in my form that is only to be with text, not any of the
symbols (i.e. ~!@#$%^&* and so on). When the user input and saved the
fields, those characters won't be allowed to be saved.

What will be the best way to filter out only text? Only numbers?
comp.cad.cadence 5429 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

Terence <terrylau77@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and
> filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a
> text field in my form that is only to be with text, not any of the
> symbols (i.e. ~!@#$%^&* and so on). When the user input and saved the
> fields, those characters won't be allowed to be saved.
>
> What will be the best way to filter out only text? Only numbers?

I know of three ways, which one to use is when you want to do the filtering:

- register a callback for the field which does the checking and set the
  field value to a fixed value.  Pay attention not to be called recursively
  :-)

- register a callback for the form which check the coherence of the whole
  form.

- the StringField (and perhaps other) also have a modifyCallback which can
  be used to filter out characters as they are typed.

$CDS_INST_DIR/doc/skuiref/skuiref.pdf is where to search for such things.

Yours,

--
Jean-Marc
0

text + text

text-text

rich text in text field

text field only for text
Hi I would like some help about the following : I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I limit this situation ? So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. TIA Paulo "Paulo Rodrigues" <amigo.alf@netvisao.pt> wrote in message news:<newscache$kgmtmh$bb1$1@newsfront4.netvisao.pt>... > Hi > > I would like some help about the following : > > I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I > limit > this situation ? > > So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. > > TIA > Paulo Paulo, the online help is your FRIEND. Private Sub Text0_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer) If KeyAscii >= 48 And KeyAscii <= 57 Then KeyAscii = 0 End If End Sub Just put this code in the KeyPress event of whatever text field you do not want to contain numbers. OR you could glue thumbtacks to the number keys on all your users keyboards... Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. Avoid magic numbers, especially when you can use builtin VBA constants. The following is a little more intuitive to read and a future developer does not have to lookup 48 and 57 to see exactly what is being blocked. Private Sub Text2_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer) 'Cancel any numeric keys If KeyAscii >= vbKey0 And KeyAscii <= vbKey9 Then KeyAscii = 0 End If End Sub The above solu...

Search for text in a text field
Hi When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many records and then diplay the records which contains the input. Thanks in advance, Luke. There is a function called InStr that will probably do what you require. Cheers, Chris "Luke Jones" <luke_jones_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:24bb1508.0407080157.d587c63@posting.google.com... > Hi > > When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input > and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many > records and then diplay the records which contains the input. > > Thanks in advance, > > Luke. ...

Insert text file in a text field ...
Hallo, I have 2 questions: 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an sql instruction) ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table (by an sql instruction) ? Please, could you help me ? Thank you . Fab. On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 06:41:52 -0700, electric_r@yahoo.it wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an > sql instruction) ? > > 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table > (by an sql instruction) ? > > Please, could you help me ? This is a task for the application program, not the database itself. -- A way of life that is odd or even erratic but interferes with no rights or interests of others is not to be condemned because it is different. -- Chief Justice Warren E. Burger electric_r@yahoo.it wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an > sql instruction) ? > > 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table > (by an sql instruction) ? > > Please, could you help me ? > > Thank you . > > Fab. Look at the LOAD_FILE() function in the manual On 18 Oct, 14:41, electri...@yahoo.it wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an > sql instruction) ? > > 2) How can...

Insert text file in a text field
allo, I have 2 questions: with php and mysql : 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table ? Please, could you help me with a simple example ? Thank you . Fab ...

Insert text file in a text field #3
Hallo, I have 2 questions: with php and mysql : 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table ? Please, could you help me with a simple example ? Thank you . Fab On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:36:59 +0200, <electric_r@yahoo.it> wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > with php and mysql : > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? > > 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a > table ? > > Please, could you help me with a simple example ? mysql_query("INSERT INTO tablename (fieldname) VALUES ('".mysql_real_escape_string(file_get_contents('/path/to/file'))."')"); -- Rik Wasmus On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:29:54 +0200, Rik Wasmus <luiheidsgoeroe@hotmail.com> wrote: > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:36:59 +0200, <electric_r@yahoo.it> wrote: > >> Hallo, >> >> I have 2 questions: >> >> with php and mysql : >> >> 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? >> >> 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a >> table ? >> >> Please, could you help me with a simple example ? > > > mysql_query("INSERT INTO tablename (fieldname) VALUES > ('".mysql_real_escape_string(file_get_contents('/path/to/file'))."')...

Insert text file in a text field #2
Hallo, I have 2 questions: with php and mysql : 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table ? Please, could you help me with a simple example ? Thank you . Fab Greetings, electric_r@yahoo.it. In reply to Your message dated Thursday, October 18, 2007, 20:36:14, eyi> Hallo, eyi> I have 2 questions: eyi> with php and mysql : eyi> 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? eyi> 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a eyi> table ? eyi> Please, could you help me with a simple example ? This is mostly SQL question. PHP part may looks like: $_field = *_sql_escape_string(file_get_contents('/path/to/document')); *_sql_query("INSERT INTO tablename (fieldname) VALUES ('{$_field}')"); -- Sincerely Yours, AnrDaemon <anrdaemon@freemail.ru> ...

Musatov exposes R.S.A. vulnerability: Blue highlight black text truncates black background text turning it white black foreground text remains in field.
505152535455565758595a5b5c5d5e5f606162636465666768696a6b6c6d6e6f7071 72737475767778797a7b7c7d7e7f808182838485868788898a8b8c8d8e8f909192939495969 798999a9b9c9d9e9fa0a1a2a3a4a5a6a7a8a9aaabacadaeafb0b1b2b3 505152535455565758595a5b5c5d5e5f606162HMAC/SHA-256 Large Correct: Superposition of lines 1 and 4 will correct R.S.A. example: http://il8n.co/test.html ...

Quickly adding text to a mysql text field that is NOT empty
Hi all Is there a way to insert text into a mysql text field that already has text into it; without having first to extract the existing data and append the new text to that string variable and then insert the new string. Basically i'm looking for a way to do it with a single query not 2 (one being a select to gather existing data). Please help! I could have sworn I already replied to this but it appears that it did not go through, but anyway; you want to modify the contents of an existing field without having to fetch it using a query, yes? This is possible through the use of MySQL's CONCAT() function: UPDATE `my_table` SET `my_field` = CONACT(`my_field`, ' append this'); So, for example the value of 'my_field' is 'John'. Upon running the query the value of 'my_field' will become 'John append this'. Hope that helps. So basically you want to append a string or data to existing data in a field without having to fetch the contents of that field first? Yeah, that's possible: UPDATE `my_table` SET `myfield` = CONCAT(`myfield`, 'newvalue'); So say the value of 'myfield' was 'John' and I ran that query, the value of 'myfield would now be 'Johnnewvalue'. Is that what you wanted? > So say the value of 'myfield' was 'John' and I ran that query, the > value of 'myfield would now be 'Johnnewvalue'. Is that what you wanted? Thanks for your help xcla, th...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

Windows 7 style Text Fields backgound text
Hi is there a way to get a background text in entry fields (text presenters) in the entry area itself - that disappears when you start typing - i.e. Windows 7 style. (Is there any special name / buzzword for that feature ?) Regards Sanjay Sanjay, >is there a way to get a background text in entry fields (text >presenters) in the entry area itself - that disappears when you start >typing - i.e. Windows 7 style. If you don't mind the test being selected then this should work. Select all the following and evaluate in a workspace... sh := Shell show. sh v...

Updating A Text String In A Text Field With An Update Query
If I have the following string in a text field of a table: "This is a test" can I create an update query that will change, say, the string "is" to "xyz" in the two locations where it occurs or would this require VBA? Thanks, Sheldon Potolsky Use an Update query. Something like this: UPDATE Table1 SET [F1] = Replace([F1], "is", "xyz") WHERE [F1] Like "*is*"; -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Sheldon" <SHPsalm139@aol.com> wrote in message news:61e21fd7-b684-4cbb-9c37-fcd715600090@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... > If I have the following string in a text field of a table: > "This is a test" > can I create an update query that will change, say, the string "is" to > "xyz" in the two locations where it occurs or would this require VBA? > Thanks, > Sheldon Potolsky Thank you Allen; that worked great. As a followup, if I also wanted to change all occurrences of "t" or "T" to "123" in the string "This is a test", would I need an additional query? In my real world example, I'm trying to remove certain strings such as "<br/>" and "&nbsp;" whenever they occur in a closing description of a problem. Thank you, Sheldon > > Somethin...

Insert carriage return in a text field to warp text down
I've imported data from a database - containing separate fields for name, address and postcode, into one single text field in another database (I know that's rotten database practice, but I was asked to do this at work). I concatenated the fields in the "donor database then mapped the single concatenated field to the recipient single text field on import. I now have a field containing name, address and postcode, with spaces between each element(I inserted them), but of course there is no wrapping. I now have (example) MrTest Name Test Address TestPostcode in a single text field. I'd like to bring this dbase file into Access and use a function/vb to insert the carriage return at the end of each element so text is wrapped correctly. Does anyone know how to do this please? I could envisage writing a character (eg a comma or asterisk) at the end of each piece of data, prior to performing the concatenation so that this character could be used as a criterion for a function inserting a break, but I'm not very experienced in parsing strings etc, so the idea hardly solves my problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Greg gregory.oxnard@ntlworld.com (Greg Oxnard) wrote in news:7dee7a8c.0308161004.443136a4@posting.google.com: > I've imported data from a database - containing separate fields for > name, address and postcode, into one single text field in another > database (I know that's rotten database practice, but I was asked to >...

text 2 text

Filter a text field for only numerics
Is there a way to filter a string field (nvarchar) for only the numerics. Example, I have a column that users use to enter phone numbers. Sometimes they enter 555-1212, sometimes 5551212, sometimes 555 1212, sometimes (001)555-1212. (Unfortunately that was the client's requirement to be able to enter numbers that way. There are no alphas, but spaces, hyphens and () are permitted.) What I want to do is to create a stored procedure that allows the user to search for phone numbers so that if the user searches for "5551212" or "5121" etc. it will find all the above. Is this possible? Example @NumberSearched varchar(10) SELECT c.UniqueID, c.Name FROM dbo.tblClients c WHERE SomeMagicCleaningFunction(c.PhoneNumber) LIKE '%' + @NumberSearched + '%' Thanks, lq Hi As there are a finite number of characters you want to replace then probably the easiest way it use: SELECT REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(Phone,'-',''),'(',''),')',''),SPACE(1),'') AS Phone FROM (SELECT '555-1212' AS Phone UNION ALL SELECT '5551212' UNION ALL SELECT '555 1212' UNION ALL SELECT '(001)555-1212') Tels If you do this when the data is inserted it may be easier. And choosing the numbers can be like: SELECT Phone, REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(Phone,'-',''),'(',''),')',''),SPACE(1),'') AS Cleaned_Phone FROM (SELECT ...

Pages

Is there a way to display alternate text in a text box if field is empty
The Results Form I am working on has a field for price. Some of the records do not have price at this time. Is there a way to program the text box to read, "Contact Whoever for details" if the field price is left blank. Or will I just have to put that message in the price field in the table for every record that I don't want to put the price in right now. You "could" just set the default value for the text box to that value, and if the users don't know the price, then that value will be saved with the record. If they do know it, they can simply erase the default value and type over it. Or: You could use the Form's BeforeUpdate event: If Me!<yourControlName> = "" or IsNull(Me!<yourControlName>) Then Me!<yourControlName> = "Whatever value you want here" End If -- James Lankford "Kenneth Grice" <kennethgrice@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e2a8f3b4.0310271849.624bb9bb@posting.google.com... > The Results Form I am working on has a field for price. Some of the > records do not have price > at this time. > > Is there a way to program the text box to read, "Contact Whoever for > details" if > the field price is left blank. > > Or will I just have to put that message in the price field in the > table for every record that I don't want to put the price in right > now. On 27 Oct 2003 18:49:25 -0800, kennethgrice@yahoo.com (Kenneth Grice...

ISQL is truncating contents of text field sent to text file.
Under SQL 2000 I have a table that consists of a single column of text type, each record holds about 15-25,000 chars. This data happens to be an xml, and I want to write this records to a text file. In order to accomplish this i'm using ISQL.exe, but i'm finding that some of the text type records aren't being written complete (truncated at 8k chars). I have tried increasing the width of columns (-w), and the maximum text size (-x) {the maximum length of text data to return} parameters for executing ISQL with no luck. High values make it crash. Problems: * If the data is longer than 8k, the text is truncated at 8k chars. * If the data is longer than the value given for width of columns (- w), an xml element might be separated in two when reaching the end of line, making the xml invalid. instead of : ....<data myId="1" myelement="2">... i'm getting this if the element reaches the endofline ....<data myId="1" myel{LF/CR} ement="2">... Is there a way to write to a plain-text file the full contents of a text field without having its contents being truncated? If not, a workaround would be to output the text field in small chunks, any guide to handle substrings and locate chars inside a text field?, will be needing to seek and output complete elements "<... .../>" Regards Elias Willard / Rodrigo Perez Rod (rod.perez@gmail.com) writes: > Under SQL 2000 I have a table that consists of a sing...

How to highlight all the Text for a Text field when getting focus by a mouse click?
I followed the direction in the HELP and tried several other things. But can not get it to work properly. 1. From the Window Formatter, RIGHT-CLICK the control and choose Alert from the popup menu. 2. From the Alert Keys dialog, press the Add button. 3. From the Input Key dialog, CLICK on Left Button in the Mouse group. 4. Press OK twice to return to the Window Formatter. 5. From the Window Formatter, RIGHT-CLICK the control and choose Embeds from the popup menu. 6. Add the following code to the EVENT:AlertKey embed point for the control: IF KEYCODE() = MouseLeft SELECT(?,LEN(?{PROP:ScreenText})) ?{PROP:SelStart} = 1 ?{PROP:SelEnd} = LEN(?{PROP:ScreenText}) END The problem I'm am having is after a user selects the field with a LEFT MOUSE (it hightlights the entire field proplerly), but then they can not change what is highlighted with the LEFT MOUSE (maybe they want to change it to only hightlight the 1st couple of characters). I'm trying to make this field work like the Address field in MS Internet Explorer. So when a person select the field with the mouse it is highlighted and then subesequently they can change what is hightlighted by using the Left Mouse. It almost works in clarion <g>. Does anyone know of a way around to get this to work? I've tried everything I can think of an can not get it to work properly. Thank, Jim Mumford Hi > IF KEYCODE() = MouseLeft > SELECT(?,LEN(?{PROP:ScreenText})) > ?{PROP:SelStart} = 1 > ?{PROP:Se...

Text in toolbar text field not committed before clicking toolbar command button
I use the following code to create text edit fields and command buttons in my toolbars: Function CreateToolbarObject(myObjectType as integer) Dim newObject Select Case myObjectType Case 1 'text Set newObject = CommandBars(myToolbarName).Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlEdit) Case 2 'command button Set newObject = CommandBars(myToolbarName).Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton) Case 3 'popup Set newObject = CommandBars(myToolbarName).Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup) Case 4 'combobox Set newObject = CommandBars(myToolbarName).Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlComboBox) End Select End Function Works great (You must first set the reference to the MSOffice X.0 Object Library) I use the following code to make things happen after entering text in a toolbar edit field ("myToolbarEditFieldName") and then clicking a command button on the same toolbar: Function DoSomethingSnazzyFromToolbar() Dim objBar As Object, objCbo As Object, _ myString As String Set objBar = Application.CommandBars("myToolbarName") Set objCbo = objBar.Controls("myToolbarEditFieldName") myString = objCbo.Text myString = Trim(myString) If Len(myString) > 0 Then 'run some spiffy code here end if myExit: On Error Resume Next objCbo.Text = "" Set objCbo = Nothing Set objBar = Nothing Exit Function myErr: MsgBox Err.Number & " " &...

text fields to memo field
Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field? This is an existing database. Some people in the database may have several "contact" entries where they have a "note" in a text field. I would like to figure a way to combine all the "note" fields for each person into one memo field. Thank you "RR" <texson552000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<S6HRb.969$ee6.74@fe2.texas.rr.com>... > Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field? > > This is an existing database. Some people in the database may have several > "contact" entries where they have a "note" in a text field. I would like to > figure a way to combine all the "note" fields for each person into one memo > field. > > Thank you Create a memo field in your parent table, and then use fConcatChild from www.mvps.org to paste them all together into the memo field. ...

Web resources about - Text filtering in a text field - comp.cad.cadence

Bayesian spam filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
/ ˈ b eɪ z i ə n / BAY -zee-ən ; after Rev. Thomas Bayes ) is a statistical technique of e-mail filtering . It makes use of a naive Bayes classifier ...

Facebook Adds Filtering To Messages, Tests Paid Service
Facebook released an update to its messaging system on Thursday , adding a filtering system and introducing a paid service for U.S. users who ...

Facebook to test option for paid messages between users, announces new filtering controls
... users to pay to send direct messages to another user’s inbox rather than their “other” folder. The social network is also releasing new filtering ...

Filtering mentions - Twitter Blogs
As part of our product development process, we regularly reach out to our partners to better understand what would improve the Twitter experience. ...

StockLight - ASX stocks, charts, filtering tools, shares & research on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about StockLight - ASX stocks, charts, filtering tools, shares & research. ...

Google AdSense Category Filtering - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Details at searchengineland.com/google-adsense-testing-category-filt...

Motorcyclists, drivers embrace filtering laws
Motorcyclists and their car-driving colleagues appear to have embraced the ACT's lane filtering laws four months after the pilot program began. ...

Motorbikes 'filtering' between traffic a safer way for Canberra's roads
Road users in the ACT may soon have to become used to motorcyclists legally lane filtering as a potential trial looms.&#160;

Yandex launches public DNS service with malicious URL filtering - Internet-based applications and services ...
Russian Web search firm Yandex launched a public DNS (Domain Name System) resolution service on Thursday that leverages the company's existing ...

The Filter Is Dead: Australian Government Dumps Controversial Filtering Project [Updated]
Almost three years ago now, Senator Stephen Conroy stepped up to the plate to deliver a bold new vision. A vision of a filtered, “safer” i... ...