"Save As PDF" in Task Scheduler

Is there a way, that anybody knows of, to save all the *.SLDDRW files
as *.PDF files using the Task Scheduler?

TIA, Richard
0
rcharney
4/27/2004 4:48:03 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14446 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Yes, Custom task.

"Richard Charney" <rcharney@elakeside.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way, that anybody knows of, to save all the *.SLDDRW files
> as *.PDF files using the Task Scheduler?
>
> TIA, Richard

0
Corey
4/27/2004 5:50:42 PM
So how does it work that way? Do I need to create a macro?
I've never worked with macros in Solidworks before.
Any help on how to get this set up would be appreciated.

Thanks, Richard

"Corey Scheich" <cscheich@garlockequip.com> wrote in message news:<c6m65d$dedro$1@ID-200385.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Yes, Custom task.
>
> "Richard Charney" <rcharney@elakeside.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way, that anybody knows of, to save all the *.SLDDRW files
> > as *.PDF files using the Task Scheduler?
> >
> > TIA, Richard
0
rcharney
4/28/2004 12:34:40 PM
Richard,

Our company has developed a SolidWorks DLL add-in which can be configured
(via XML text file) to listen for specific SolidWorks events and trigger the
execution of a user specified macro & procedure.  The events that are
supported are:

      SldWorks FileNewNotify2
      SldWorks FileOpenNotify2
      PartDoc DestroyNotify
      PartDoc FileSaveAsNotify2
      PartDoc FileSaveNotify
      PartDoc FileSavePostNotify
      AssemblyDoc DestroyNotify
      AssemblyDoc FileSaveAsNotify2
      AssemblyDoc FileSaveNotify
      AssemblyDoc FileSavePostNotify
      DrawingDoc DestroyNotify
      DrawingDoc FileSaveAsNotify2
      DrawingDoc FileSaveNotify
      DrawingDoc FileSavePostNotify

We also have written a SolidWorks VBA macro which enhances to the output
options provided with the SolidWorks 2004 SaveAs PDF capabilities.  This
macro adds the ability to create a PDF containing all sheets, only the
active drawing sheet, or creating an individual PDF file for each sheet.  If
required, this macro could be modified to save the PDF files to a single
folder.  Currently it saves the files to the same folder as the drawing
file.

Please contact me to discuss further if you are interested.

Best regards,

John Picinich
www.cadimensions.com

> So how does it work that way? Do I need to create a macro?
> I've never worked with macros in Solidworks before.
> Any help on how to get this set up would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Richard
>
> "Corey Scheich" <cscheich@garlockequip.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, Custom task.
> >
> > "Richard Charney" <rcharney@elakeside.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way, that anybody knows of, to save all the *.SLDDRW files
> > > as *.PDF files using the Task Scheduler?
> > >
> > > TIA, Richard

0
John
4/30/2004 12:56:21 PM
Thanks for the info.
I'll talk to the other guys here and see if it's something we want to pursue.

Richard

"John Picinich" <johnNOSPAM@cadimensions.com> wrote in message news:<V1skc.133938$e17.20473@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> Richard,
>
> Our company has developed a SolidWorks DLL add-in which can be configured
> (via XML text file) to listen for specific SolidWorks events and trigger the
> execution of a user specified macro & procedure.  The events that are
> supported are:
>
>       SldWorks FileNewNotify2
>       SldWorks FileOpenNotify2
>       PartDoc DestroyNotify
>       PartDoc FileSaveAsNotify2
>       PartDoc FileSaveNotify
>       PartDoc FileSavePostNotify
>       AssemblyDoc DestroyNotify
>       AssemblyDoc FileSaveAsNotify2
>       AssemblyDoc FileSaveNotify
>       AssemblyDoc FileSavePostNotify
>       DrawingDoc DestroyNotify
>       DrawingDoc FileSaveAsNotify2
>       DrawingDoc FileSaveNotify
>       DrawingDoc FileSavePostNotify
>

> We also have written a SolidWorks VBA macro which enhances to the output
> options provided with the SolidWorks 2004 SaveAs PDF capabilities.  This
> macro adds the ability to create a PDF containing all sheets, only the
> active drawing sheet, or creating an individual PDF file for each sheet.  If
> required, this macro could be modified to save the PDF files to a single
> folder.  Currently it saves the files to the same folder as the drawing
> file.
>
> Please contact me to discuss further if you are interested.
>
> Best regards,
>
> John Picinich
> www.cadimensions.com
>

> "Richard Charney" <rcharney@elakeside.com> wrote in message
> > So how does it work that way? Do I need to create a macro?
> > I've never worked with macros in Solidworks before.
> > Any help on how to get this set up would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks, Richard
> >
> > "Corey Scheich" <cscheich@garlockequip.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, Custom task.
> > >
> > > "Richard Charney" <rcharney@elakeside.com> wrote in message

0
rcharney
4/30/2004 7:10:18 PM
You write a macro to handle the task.  You make some params to pass to it,
(in taskmanager help there is an explaination of how to set this up.  I
would like to see and example file myself, if anyone has one.) then you
setup a custom task in Scheduler and specify your macro and fill in the
parameters.

Corey

"Richard Charney" <rcharney@elakeside.com> wrote in message
> So how does it work that way? Do I need to create a macro?
> I've never worked with macros in Solidworks before.
> Any help on how to get this set up would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Richard
>
> "Corey Scheich" <cscheich@garlockequip.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, Custom task.
> >
> > "Richard Charney" <rcharney@elakeside.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way, that anybody knows of, to save all the *.SLDDRW files
> > > as *.PDF files using the Task Scheduler?
> > >
> > > TIA, Richard

0
Corey
4/30/2004 7:31:33 PM
> You write a macro to handle the task.  You make some params to pass to it,
> (in taskmanager help there is an explaination of how to set this up.

I havent had the pleasure of playing with Task Manager - it didnt install when
'upgrading' 04 install in work.

> I would like to see and example file myself, if anyone has one.) then
> you setup a custom task in Scheduler and specify your macro and fill
> in the parameters.

Well, I was wondering why noone posted some snippet, hell, its only one
line of code to export the PDF, right? Well, seems you'll need a few
hundred more lines to get any feedback or error handling  :/

The following code module does SOME of this. If all is well, then it wont have
any problems, but there isnt enuff error handling to handle all problems, and
basically nothing for reporting, to show WHICH files it had the problem with.

For Instance, the file search routine will find ALL .slddrw files:
hidden files, files in your SW temp dir, etc, etc.

Also, it does not use the task manager.  If something is amiss, it may
be stuck on waiting for the user to select from some error dialog. If all
goes well, you could still fill up your Hard Disk. USE WITH CAUTION.

But what it DOES is present the user with the windows "Browse For Folder"
dialog, and lets the user select a base folder to search from. The routine
then searches the folder, and ALL CHILD folders, for SW drawings.
It returns a dialog with the # of files found, and, if any are found, if
the users wishes to export all of them as PDF files.

The code is a stand alone module, and all variables are private to the
module, so this should Paste into other projects (as well as post more
easily on the NG's)  Also, the file search extension, and output
extension are coded in as constants, with a little tweaking the routine
could be used for other SW files.

If any of you whizzes out there upgrades this code, plz repost   :)

'----- snip --------- snip --------- snip --------- snip ----

Private Const INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE = -1
Private Const FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY = &H10
Private Const BIF_RETURNONLYFSDIRS = &H1
Private Const MAX_PATH = 260
Private Const DWG_SEARCHSPEC As String = ".SLDDRW"
Private Const DOC_EXPORT_EXTENSION As String = ".PDF"

Private Type FILETIME
    dwLowDateTime As Long
    dwHighDateTime As Long
End Type

Private Type WIN32_FIND_DATA
    dwFileAttributes As Long
    ftCreationTime As FILETIME
    ftLastAccessTime As FILETIME
    ftLastWriteTime As FILETIME
    nFileSizeHigh As Long
    nFileSizeLow As Long
    dwReserved0 As Long
    dwReserved1 As Long
    cFileName As String * MAX_PATH
    cAlternate As String * 14
End Type

Private Declare Function FindFirstFile Lib "kernel32" Alias _
"FindFirstFileA" (ByVal lpFileName As String, lpFindFileData As _
WIN32_FIND_DATA) As Long
Private Declare Function FindNextFile Lib "kernel32" Alias _
"FindNextFileA" (ByVal hFindFile As Long, lpFindFileData As _
WIN32_FIND_DATA) As Long
Private Declare Function FindClose Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hFindFile As _
Long) As Long

Dim FoundPath() As String
Dim FoundFiles() As String
Dim FileCount As Long
Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks
Dim Part As ModelDoc2

Public Type BROWSEINFO
    hOwner           As Long
    pidlRoot         As Long
    pszDisplayName   As String
    lpszTitle        As String
    ulFlags          As Long
    lpfn             As Long
    lParam           As Long
    iImage           As Long
End Type

Private Declare Function GetDesktopWindow Lib "user32" () As Long
Private Declare Function SHGetPathFromIDList Lib "shell32.dll" Alias _
"SHGetPathFromIDListA" (ByVal pidl As Long, ByVal pszPath As String) _
As Long
Private Declare Function SHBrowseForFolder Lib "shell32.dll" Alias _
"SHBrowseForFolderA" (lpBrowseInfo As BROWSEINFO) As Long
Private Declare Sub CoTaskMemFree Lib "ole32.dll" (ByVal pv As Long)

Function BrowseForFolder(WindowTitle As String) As String
' call the Browse for folders dialog

    Dim bi As BROWSEINFO
    Dim pidl As Long
    Dim path As String
    Dim pos As Integer

    bi.hOwner = GetDesktopWindow  ' get hwnd of desktop
    bi.pidlRoot = 0   'Pointer to the item identifier list
    bi.lpszTitle = WindowTitle   'message displayed in Browse dialog
    bi.ulFlags = BIF_RETURNONLYFSDIRS   'the type of folder to return.
    pidl = SHBrowseForFolder(bi) 'show the browse for folders dialog
    path = Space$(MAX_PATH) 'parse the user's returned folder
                            'selection contained in pidl

    If SHGetPathFromIDList(ByVal pidl, ByVal path) Then
        pos = InStr(path, Chr$(0))
        BrowseForFolder = Left(path, pos - 1)
    End If

    Call CoTaskMemFree(pidl)

End Function

Public Sub FindFiles(strRootFolder As String, strFolder As String, _
strFile As String)
    Dim lngSearchHandle As Long
    Dim udtFindData As WIN32_FIND_DATA
    Dim strTemp As String, lngRet As Long
    Dim UCaseExt As String
    UCaseExt = UCase$(Right$(strFile, Len(strFile) - 1))

    'Check that folder name ends with "\"
    If Right$(strRootFolder, 1) <> "\" Then
        strRootFolder = strRootFolder & "\"
    End If

    'Find first file/folder in current folder
    lngSearchHandle = FindFirstFile(strRootFolder & "*", udtFindData)

    'Check that we received a valid handle
    If lngSearchHandle = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE Then Exit Sub

    lngRet = 1

    Do While lngRet <> 0

        'Trim nulls from filename
        strTemp = TrimNulls(udtFindData.cFileName)
        If (udtFindData.dwFileAttributes And FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY) _
        = FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY Then
            'It's a dir - make sure it isn't . or .. dirs
            If strTemp <> "." And strTemp <> ".." Then
                'It's a normal dir: let's dive straight into it...
                Call FindFiles(strRootFolder & strTemp, strFolder, _
                strFile)  ', colFilesFound)
            End If
        Else
            'It's a file. First check if the current folder matches
            ' the folder path in strFolder
            If (strRootFolder Like strFolder) Then
                'Folder matches, what about file?
                ext$ = Right(strTemp, Len(UCaseExt))
                If UCase(ext$) = UCaseExt Then
                    FileCount = FileCount + 1
                    ReDim Preserve FoundPath(0 To FileCount)
                    ReDim Preserve FoundFiles(0 To FileCount)
                    FoundPath(FileCount) = strRootFolder
                    FoundFiles(FileCount) = strTemp
                    ' list in debug window
                    Debug.Print strRootFolder & strTemp
                End If
            End If
        End If
        'Get next file/folder
        lngRet = FindNextFile(lngSearchHandle, udtFindData)
    Loop
    'Close find handle
    Call FindClose(lngSearchHandle)
End Sub

Public Function TrimNulls(strString As String) As String
    Dim l As Long
    l = InStr(1, strString, Chr(0))
    If l = 1 Then
        TrimNulls = ""
    ElseIf l > 0 Then
        TrimNulls = Left$(strString, l - 1)
    Else
        TrimNulls = strString
    End If
End Function

Sub main()

    Dim retpath As String
    Dim DialogText As String

    Const swDocDRAWING As Long = 3
    Const swOpenDocOptions_Silent As Long = 1
    Const swOpenDocOptions_ReadOnly As Long = 2
    Const swSaveAsOptions_Silent As Long = 1
    Const swSaveAsOptions_AvoidRebuildOnSave As Long = 8

    Dim ErrCode As Long
    Dim PathSpec As String
    Dim Errors As Long, Warnings As Long
    Dim OpenOptions As Long, ExportOptions As Long
    Dim OpenDwgObj As ModelDoc2
    Dim ExportFileSpec As String

    Set swApp = Application.SldWorks    ' attach to existing SW
    If swApp Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Solidworks must be running to use this macro", 65, _
        "PDF Export"
        Exit Sub
    End If

    DialogText = "Select Base Folder for .SldDrw search." & vbCrLf
    DialogText = DialogText & "Program will recurse all child folders"

    retpath = BrowseForFolder(DialogText)
    If retpath > "" Then

        FileCount = -1: Erase FoundFiles    ' clear previous search
        ' and find a new batch
        Call FindFiles(retpath, "*", "*" & DWG_SEARCHSPEC)
        If FileCount = -1 Then
            MsgBox "No Files matching the extension " & vbCrLf & _
            DWG_SEARCHSPEC & " found to export"
        Else
            DialogText = FileCount + 1 & _
            " Files matching the extension " & vbCrLf
            DialogText = DialogText & DWG_SEARCHSPEC & _
            " found to export." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
            DialogText = DialogText & _
            "Would you like to export these PDFs now ?"
            retcode% = MsgBox(DialogText, 36, "Export PDFs")

            If retcode = 6 Then ' user wants to export PDFs
                ' Boolean OR the Doc  options
                OpenOptions = swOpenDocOptions_Silent Or _
                swOpenDocOptions_ReadOnly
                ExportOptions = swSaveAsOptions_Silent Or _
                swSaveAsOptions_AvoidRebuildOnSave

                ' loop thru and open SW Drawings
                For Doc& = 0 To FileCount
                    ' generate path
                    PathSpec = FoundPath(Doc&) & FoundFiles(Doc&)
                    ' open the doc
                    Set OpenDwgObj = swApp.OpenDoc6(PathSpec, _
                    swDocDRAWING, Options, "", Errors, Warnings)
                    If Not (OpenDwgObj Is Nothing) Then
                        ' generate new Name for export
                        ExportFileSpec = Left$(PathSpec, Len(PathSpec) - _
                        Len(DWG_SEARCHSPEC))
                        ExportFileSpec = ExportFileSpec & _
                        DOC_EXPORT_EXTENSION
                        Debug.Print ExportFileSpec

                        OpenDwgObj.SaveAs4 ExportFileSpec, 0, _
                        ExportOptions, Errors, Warnings
                        DocTitle$ = OpenDwgObj.GetTitle
                        swApp.CloseDoc DocTitle$
                        Set OpenDwgObj = Nothing
                    End If
                Next Doc& '
            End If
        End If
    End If

End Sub

'----- snip --------- snip --------- snip --------- snip ----
0
rocheey
5/3/2004 1:04:23 AM
Timely piece ! I Appreciate the information . Does someone know if I might obtain a template 2011 DD 577 version to work with ?
0
BRITTA111 (2)

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

Intercepting "Save As" / "Save" in IE
Hi, I've built a client side webpage for our internal users, which when loaded, generates some HTML within an iFrame. The HTML generated to the iFrame is then saved as HTML. I know it's useless to disable the Save As command, but can I at least intercept when they select this from the menu and display a message? Thanks craigslist.jg@gmail.com said the following on 7/23/2007 11:07 AM: > Hi, > > I've built a client side webpage for our internal users, which when > loaded, generates some HTML within an iFrame. The HTML generated to > the iFrame is then saved as HTM...

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"out" and "in out"

Access97 crash on "save" or "save as"
Access97 using Windows XP If I try to save a report or form using "save as" in order to create a copy of the report, Access crashes and I get an Access Dialog box asking if I want to send a report to Microsoft. When I restart Access the new version of the report is there, so "save as" is working... just causing an application crash after it has finished saving. "Save" works fine.. only "Save as" causes crash. If instead, I try to copy and paste form or report, I get same problem except this time when I restart Access the new "copy" version ...

about "++" and "--"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

"or" and "and"

"my" and "our"

why "::", not "."

Is a "ZIP" extension the ONLY way to force a "SAVE AS" for your PDF?
I have a resume in PDF format and I want anyone who LEFT-OR-RIGHT clicks the link to force the file to be saved, and in any event _not_ opened. Since the PDF will be in his cache in any event, I would just as soon place the employer in control of what directory he wishes to save it in, and there are two salient reasons for this: 1. I want him to OWN the document 2. I want him to FIND the document, quickly, on his hard drive In any event I don't want it buried in his cache and so easily abandoned. Under normal circumstances I would be comfortable with the client (not to mention the browser) exercising discretion as to the disposition of a PDF file � appreciate that I am PUSHING this one document to him with the express intent of withholding his option to dispose of it so easily. ;) I think I understand two points viz this "FORCE A SAVE-AS" issue, but correct me if I'm wrong: 1. This isn't something you can code into your HTML (it is an HTTP function) 2. I would need to run some sort of script to override the client's browser instinct and/or preference settings I so badly don't want to have to zip this file, but I will as a last resort. I had one clever thought as to a workaround (forgive me if it is amateur) and it was this: Is there a way to simply code into the HTML something like myfile.pdf = OPEN, FALSE or myfile.pdf = DO NOT OPEN ? Alternatively, does anyone know of a freeware script, so...

Acrobat 8
Anyone know if there is a way to read / write the "summary" information about the PDFs in a PDF package - the information that appears in the PDF Package Navigation Bar for each PDF in a package - via JavaScript or any other method? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm unable to find any mention of the PDF Package in the SDK documentation or elsewhere - anyone know where I should be looking? Thanks, Patrick ...

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

"Save For Web" vs. "Save As..." Problem
I had saved a logo using "Save For Web & Devices" in PS CS3 (OS X 10.4.10). Wrote a bit of HTML with a background to match the background color of the logo but when I loaded the page, the logo was faded and clearly did not match the color specified in the HTML. Went back into Photoshop, hit "Save For Web & Devices" again and noticed that the fading was on the preview page too. My settings were JPG @ 100%. I closed out and used "Save As...", chose JPG as the method and it saved correctly. What the heck is causing this? I prefer to use the former metho...

How to convert "hist" to "pdf"?
Hi! How do I change the "hist" command so that it displays the probability density function i.e. area under the graph is always one? Thanks. Linda "Linda" <lindah74uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:56E20C9352A7ACE4F83A96A5CC97964C@in.webx.raydaftYaTP... > Hi! > > How do I change the "hist" command so that it displays the probability > density function i.e. area under the graph is always one? > > Thanks. > > Linda > > [N,X] = hist(... bar(X,N/sum(N)) You need to learn the underlying pdf; in other words, from availab...

"Save As PDF..."
It used to work fine in 10.2. After the upgrade I got "Fax..." but "Save As PDF" is greyed out. (and - who's faxing anymore ???) How can I get this function back? Thanks. In article <201220032353579629%nos.p@m.net>, leye <nos.p@m.net> wrote: > It used to work fine in 10.2. After the upgrade I got "Fax..." but > "Save As PDF" is greyed out. (and - who's faxing anymore ???) > > How can I get this function back? Thanks. Try this: PDF Workflow Note that the PDF workflow button is hidden by default. The button is enabled...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

background tasks without "scheduled tasks"
I'm doing some work for a company that has an auction site running in coldfusion. They're not real happy with it, and it needs a major overhaul, so I'm looking at redoing it, and while I'm at it, might as well move to PHP (for a variety of reasons - not trying to reopen the PHP -vs- CFM thing again :). Anyway, so I'm looking at this system, and there are no "scheduled tasks" (it's win2kas). How do you write a server app that needs to know when to make things happen with a cron job? Is there some other technique that I missed (long running processes...

Web resources about - "Save As PDF" in Task Scheduler - comp.cad.solidworks