2d mechanical linkage simulation

Are their any other tutorials on Solidworks "SketchBlocks" beside the
2 tutorials that are in Solidworks?

I would like to model 2d mechanical linkages, however the tutorials in
solidworks are not very helpful.

I am using a friend's 2006 version.

I did the 4 bar linkage tutorial and that worked out ok, and I then I
tried simple "stick figure"  4 bar linkage of my own design and that
worked out ok, but when I made my own blocks and added relations the
resulting linkage would not move.

Are there any books that are available on this subject alone?

Is there any online info to help beginners on this subject?

If I could get this 2d mechanical linkage modeling to work it would be
most awesome :-)

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

0
comorrris (1)
3/8/2007 7:02:32 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14465 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Go to http://www.swugn.org/pages/resources/documents/content_database.html
and grab the one Bruce Holway did called Using Blocks for Mechanism Design.
There are some good ideas in there.

  WT

"socketcap" <comorrris@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Are their any other tutorials on Solidworks "SketchBlocks" beside the
> 2 tutorials that are in Solidworks?
>
> I would like to model 2d mechanical linkages, however the tutorials in
> solidworks are not very helpful.
>
> I am using a friend's 2006 version.
>
> I did the 4 bar linkage tutorial and that worked out ok, and I then I
> tried simple "stick figure"  4 bar linkage of my own design and that
> worked out ok, but when I made my own blocks and added relations the
> resulting linkage would not move.
>
> Are there any books that are available on this subject alone?
>
> Is there any online info to help beginners on this subject?
>
> If I could get this 2d mechanical linkage modeling to work it would be
> most awesome :-)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Wayne
3/8/2007 9:55:55 PM
On Mar 8, 4:55 pm, "Wayne Tiffany" <wayne.tiffanyRMVJ...@asi.com>
wrote:
> Go tohttp://www.swugn.org/pages/resources/documents/content_database.html
> and grab the one Bruce Holway did called Using Blocks for Mechanism Design.
> There are some good ideas in there.
>
>   WT
>
> "socketcap" <comorr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Are their any other tutorials on Solidworks "SketchBlocks" beside the
> > 2 tutorials that are in Solidworks?
>
> > I would like to model 2d mechanical linkages, however the tutorials in
> > solidworks are not very helpful.
>
> > I am using a friend's 2006 version.
>
> > I did the 4 bar linkage tutorial and that worked out ok, and I then I
> > tried simple "stick figure"  4 bar linkage of my own design and that
> > worked out ok, but when I made my own blocks and added relations the
> > resulting linkage would not move.
>
> > Are there any books that are available on this subject alone?
>
> > Is there any online info to help beginners on this subject?
>
> > If I could get this 2d mechanical linkage modeling to work it would be
> > most awesome :-)
>
> > Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
>
> --

Wayne,

Thank you for the link, perhaps with some more studying of the
tutorials in Solidworks and that PowerPoint presentation I can
eventually make it work.

I have been searching a lot for more info and my guess is that because
its so new maybe there are not many people using this yet.

This feature would be an immense time saver for experimenting with
different designs before committing the to the time for a 3d model.

0
socketcap

using textread to read in data to a 2D array
I have data files that are: 34 columns a heck of a lot of rows! I need to read in the data (skipping the first 14 lines of header) to an array. I do have a way to do this, but I have found that it slows down on my large files. What I've done and it works, is: temp = textread(filename, '%f', 'headerlines', numOfHeaderLines) -- for i = 1:(size(temp)/34) for j = 1:34 dat(i,j) = temp(34*(i-1)+j); end end -- This reads in all the data to a 1D array of an enourmous length and then converts it to the 34 column 2D array....

CfP: 4th IEEE Track on Collaborative Modeling and Simulation (Comets 2014) in WETICE 2014
(Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message) ################################################################# IEEE WETICE 2014 4th IEEE Track on Collaborative Modeling and Simulation (Comets 2014) in cooperation with INCOSE Italia (to be confirmed) MIMOS (Italian Association for M&S) CALL FOR PAPERS ################################################################# June 23-25, 2014, Parma (Italy) http://www.s...

Writing 2D content to a Canvas3D
What is the best way to write static 2D data to a Canvas3D? For example, if I wanted to draw a title centered at the top of my screen (which would be positioned relative to the dimensions of it's AWT container rather than scene geometry), what would be the best way to do this? Reading through the docs has left me confused as to the best way to do this. Mark McKay -- http://www.kitfox.com ...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Managerial_Accounting=3A_Decision_Making_and_Motivatin?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?g_Performance_Plus_NEW_MyAccountingLab_with_Pearson_eText_=2D=2D?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_Access_Card_Package=2C_1=2FE=2
! ! ! TEST BANKS, SOLUTION MANUALS, INSTRUCTOR MANUALS, CASE SOLUTIONS, POW= ER POINT SLIDES ! ! ! Hello Everybody, To get the Solution manuals and Test banks just email me with your book det= ails. My e-mail address is: testbankandsm@xxxxxxxxx, testbankandsm(at)gmail(dot)c= om. Please replace (at) by @ and (dot) by .=20 If you need Test banks and Solution manuals, email to me.=20 http://testbankandsm.blogspot.in/ Reply time: Within 6 hours, If online, immediately!!!! Delivery time: Within 12- 24 hours. If online, immediately after payment ve= rification!!!!!!!!! Having...

How to pass 2D array to sub function and return 2D array?
Hi all, I want to pass 2D array to sub function and return 2D array. //-------------------------- For example, use strict; use warnings; my @array=([1,2,3],[4,5,6],[7,8,9]); my $array_ref = \@array; $array_r = increase_array_element($array_ref); sub increase_array_element { //recover the 2D array my @array_tmp = @{$array_ref}; print $array_tmp[2][2]; return \@array_tmp; } //------------------------- But it seems the compile did not think @array_tmp is a 2D array? Thanks! Davy "Davy" <zhushenli@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1154593889.794457.16810@m79...

A&P Mechanic Lead. Hawker Aircraft Exp Required. (45314614407)
A&P Mechanic Lead. Hawker Aircraft Exp Required. (45314614407) ============================================================== Position: A&P Mechanic Lead Reference: RGB00010 Location: San Antonio TX Duration: Perm Skills: A&P License, Hawker aircraft experience,supervisor experience. Scope: Supervises and directs service center personnel. Responsible for quality and quantity of service work,man-hours expended,interpretation of written and verbal orders,job assignments and job priorities as requested by ...

Iteration in 2D
Hello, I am now setting up a 2D array (3X200) and want to do a finite differencing. I know how to iterate in 1D but the array that I have now looks like this. [Ai,j Ai,j+1 Ai,j+2 Ai+1,j Ai+1,j+1 Ai+1,j+2 ------------------------------------ ------------------------------------ ----------------------------------- Ai+200,j Ai+200,j+1 Ai+200,j+2] How do I iterate in 2D so that the finite differencing can be done using a while statement? Thanks, Mahesh You can iterate in N dimensions as the same way as you iterate in 1D. For example: array=FIN...

Joining 2d points
Hi, I have set of 2D points Pi(x,y), i=1.....n. I want to join all of them, so that total distance between them is going to be minimal. erazem Erazem Polutnik wrote: > Hi, > I have set of 2D points Pi(x,y), i=1.....n. I want to join all of them, so > that total distance between them is going to be minimal. "Travelling salesman problem". Google. Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock Sounds more like a minimum spanning tree problem... Arash Partow __________________________________________________ Be one who knows what they don't know, Instead of being one who knows not w...

Lattice types in 2d ising model
Hi Some time ago now I wrote a simple program in C++ to simulate the 2d ising model on a square lattice which could calculate various quantities such as specific heat capacity and so on. I started thinking about this code again recently and thought that I might like to extend it a little. For example I was considering altering the lattice from the square one that everyone seems to do to a triangular one. I am sure that this has been done before and I was wondering if anyone out there knows if I would see any different physics - such as will the transition temperature change and so on. The...

3D simulation of cylinder
hi everybody i want simulate the rotation of a cylinder around X-axis with different speeds using m-file for example: Times = [t1 t2 t3 ... tn]; Speeds = [s1 s2 s3 ... sn]; but in the body properties we don't have the speed variation function but only angles; like shown below; for i = 1:n cylinder.rotate(AngleX,0,0,1);%cylinder.rotate(AngleX,AngleY,AngleZ,1); end; any idea in how simulate the rotation rates???????? thank's ...

problem simulating with standard cells
i try to do post-layout simulation. my layout contains standard cells for which the full layout is not available, only an abstract layout view & schematic (cmos_sch). I extracted those cells as macro cells. The netlister generates errors because the abstract view contains pins for vdd! & gnd!, while the cmos_sch view doesn't. "terminal 'gnd!' found in cell 'somecell' view 'layout' does not exist in cell 'somecell' view 'cmos_sch'" how can i get around this? Stephane, I don't understand why this happen again. It worked ...

2D
Does anyone here think that Civ3, riding on the back of a franchise, and Commandos III, are the last hand-drawn, 2D games that were deemed worthy of implementation? I hope not. A third dimension can be merry hell to program and quite humiliating if it plays no special role in your game. I'd like to implement a game that looks like a cross between Age of Empires and The Sims, and, professional though the tech demo looks, I really don't see anything with a similar 2D look to it on the market. Any thoughts? Do you think anyone would look at Age of Empires now and instantl...

How to pass an image to a 2D array using Matlab MEX
I want to read some image to run a C++ MEX function to process this image. The image is originally stored as a Matlab 3D matrix, and then converted to a 2D matrix and each slice of the image is stored as a 1D vector. Here is some example codes below. 1. The MEX function: include "mex.h" void mexFunction(int nlhs, mxArray *plhs[], int nrhs, const mxArray *prhs[]) { unsigned int** ubuff; size_t col_ubuff = mxGetN(prhs[0]); size_t row_ubuff = mxGetM(prhs[0]); ubuff = (unsigned int **)mxCalloc(col_ubuff, row_ubuff); for(int x = 0; x < col_ubuff;...

Stock Market Simulators: Any good ones?
Back in the mid-1980s, there were games like Millionaire & Millionaire II, for the Apple II & the PC, which allowed the gamer to play several years in a simulated stock market. They taught the gamer the basics of investings, including options & buying stocks on margin. Are there any new stock market simulators on the market? I didn't have much luck with a general Internet search. >Are there any new stock market simulators on the market? Capitalism II, maybe? Railroad Tycoon 3, maybe? These probably aren't as authentic in the stock market area as you ...

Anyone familiar with the linkage analysis in SAS? and SAS Detica?
Want to share information? I don't recall seeing the person who gave the following presentation on sas-l, but his contact info is shown in the pdf: http://www.google.ca/url? sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nesug.org%2Fproceedings%2Fnes ug06%2Fan%2Fda21.pdf&ei=_B7OSuTOG5DulAfXx4CNAw&usg=AFQjCNF34MH8Jch6JqKFH87NIvs a4iBy2g&sig2=3L-FwWfMgetcUB-FfdPiUg or, in short form: http://xrl.us/bfq5jx Further, I don't think SAS and Detica are together anymore and, conversely, that SAS now has their own fraud detection suite. Art -------- On Wed, 7 Oc...

Question on a control system simulation in SIMULINK.
At time instant k, I need compare the current control signal u(k) with the previous control signal u(k-1). In SIMULINK, which block can be used to store (limited) previous control signals? Thanks a lot. Ron Jordan wrote: > > > At time instant k, I need compare the current control signal u(k) > with > the previous control signal u(k-1). In SIMULINK, which block can be > used to store (limited) previous control signals? > > Thanks a lot. > > look at memory block tk ...

US-TX-Austin: Mechanical Drafter, Autocad, Mechanical, Inventor 1 year; 12 mos (45347814407)
US-TX-Austin: Mechanical Drafter, Autocad, Mechanical, Inventor 1 year; 12 mos (45347814407) ============================================================================================ Position: Mechanical Drafter Reference: JGG00106 Location: Austin Tx Duration: 12 mos Skills: Autocad Mechanical Inventor 1 year Piping 3 years Please send your current resume in confidence to "Jimmy Goolsby" <JGoolsby@EuroSoft-Inc.Com> ..45347814407. ...

Looking for how to model 3D objects in 2D relational databases
Hi - I am looking for sources of any kind that have to do with modelling objects, specifically organic molecules and are 3D, in a 2D relational database. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks, Doug C. Doug C wrote: > Hi - I am looking for sources of any kind that have to do with > modelling objects, specifically organic molecules and are 3D, in a 2D > relational database. Can anyone suggest anything? The first thing you need to observe is that relational databases are not 2D. A dimension is a measure independent of any other dimensions. The columns of a relational t...

2D to 1D and back to 2D
Hello together, I have a picture in following format: "496*784 uint 16" This is nice to handle, but I want to have a single array with 388864 Elements, representing the data. Then, I´┐Żll do some Operation to the array. After finnished operation I want to transform the 388864 Elements back to a 2D Array consisting 496*784 Elements. ??? How can this be done with Matlab functions ??? Thank you very much, Kevin Hi there, try 'reshape' and perform your calculation, then reshape back. e.g. a = reshape(x,newN,newM) Yang K.Ostheimer wrote: > > > Hello together, >...

Power Spectrum 2D field
Is there someone who can help me to calculate and plot the power spectrum of a 2D field? I have already calculated the power spectral density (it's a 3D function) of the matrix through the FFt of the same matrix, you can use various techniques, for example using the periodogram, but now i need the power spectrum of the field so...? How can i do? (PS: for example in turbulence you give a 3D field and you can compute the power spectra, how? Therefore I am in the 2D input case) Is there someone who have already done any Mathematica routine? Thank you very much, Matteo. ...

midiecho simulates tape-echo
Greetings. In the "Multiple indentical notes ?" thread, I wrote: >Greetings. Been thinking of simulating a tape-loop-delay (e.g. wem) >by generating the same note repeatedly with diminishing volume. >Does MIDI say anything about what should happen if N note_on >events are followed by N note_off events all on the same note ? The result of this is midiecho :-) which should now be available at http://www.pjb.com.au/midi http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/midiecho.html It's a Perl script using Sean Burke's MIDI::Perl CPAN module which simulates a tape-delay echo on a part...

Paste 2D array into excel via activex
I've managed to select a range of cells in my workbook and I want to paste an array into those cells. Select(Range(ActSheet,'A1:C100')); I then tried to use ActCell = get(Spreadsheet1,'ActiveCell'); set(ActCell,'Value',data); but it didn't work. I assumed the active cell property would cover the whole range selected, but it doesn't appear so. If I try ActRange = get(Spreadsheet1,'Range'); I recieve an error: ??? Invoke Error: Incorrect number of arguments Error in ==> torquecurveinput8>labelupdate at 264 ActRange ...

Commodore mentioned in 12/05 Pop. Mechanics
In the article entitled, "Top 50 Inventions," p. 78, in the December 2005 issue of Popular Mechanics magazine, Commodore is mentioned for the year 1977 (the article lists the top invention for every year, starting from 1955). Subtitled "The Computer Age", the year 1977 has this line -- The Apple II, Commodore PET and Radio Shack's TRS-80 are introduced in 1977 -- four years before IBM, soon to become synonymous with the term "PC," unveils its Personal Computer. Interestingly, the magazine chose to show a photo of the Apple II and not of the ...

Simulating a key press in FXRuby
I have some event-handling code I'd like to test (e.g. widget.connect...) that's activated upon SEL_KEYRELEASE. I've been trying to google around and figure out how the FXWindow.handle method works...its purpose is obvious but I can't find the right combination of constants to put in a MKUINT call to form the right unsigned int to send in as the selector Fixnum. In addition, I noticed that I can't instantiate an FXEvent. How do I create an FXEvent object - is there a factory method somewhere that I should use? Thanks, Steve Steve wrote: > I have some event-handling...

Advertisement for 2D Game Developers Central
Bored of playing the same games over an over again? Feel you need a change from the humdrum of trying to get that extra Achievement? Feel that you have a really good idea for a game but don't know where to begin? Need a community that offers you friendly support and help on designing and developing your very own game projects? Well, come and join us at 2D Game Developers Central! 2D Game Developers Central, part of the NerdierNerds groups chain, is a new group on Google Groups, dedicated to the designing and developing of 2D computer games. Whatever the game, be it a Shooter, Strategy, Ro...