eDrawings-Would you send them to a customer? 42965

This is a followup on a discussion from a while back:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E50325A1C

I tried eDrawings 2006 thinking that all the issues that caused the
original post were cleared up. Text sizing still has not been fixed. So
I am still waiting, and still not able to send eDrawings out.

0
kellnerp (208)
11/4/2005 11:56:38 AM
comp.cad.solidworks 14465 articles. 56 followers. Post Follow

14 Replies
357 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 15
For drawings, I send .pdf by default. I often send .dwg to customers who 
ask for it or who I know need the editable 3d data. For me, eDrawings are 
resrved for those customers who want to look at a model, but there isn't 
time or ability to use something else.

So, no, I would not send an eDrawing drawing to a customer. I agree, it's 
just not good enough.
0
Dale
11/4/2005 2:10:15 PM
I routinely send eDrawings to customers so they can review the models. 
Typically, I create eDrawings of parts and assemblies, not drawings.  When I 
have a drawing to send to a customer, I normally begin by sending a pdf 
version.  Occasionally, I will also send an eDrawing created from a drawing 
file.

Overall, my customers really like the eDrawings and find them to be very 
useful in reviewing designs.  They understand that any text/notes might not 
be cleanly formatted, but they don't care because the 3-D models are their 
focus.  Of course, despite any formatting problems, any text or notes are 
useful in identifying and explaining things.

I should note that I recently generated a 12 page eDrawing from a drawing 
file so it could be used to give a presentation dominated by 3-D models.  My 
customer was very happy with the result.

-- 

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Mechanical Engineer
Agile Technology
512-633-0394

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message 
news:1131105398.797217.323490@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> This is a followup on a discussion from a while back:
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?E50325A1C
>
> I tried eDrawings 2006 thinking that all the issues that caused the
> original post were cleared up. Text sizing still has not been fixed. So
> I am still waiting, and still not able to send eDrawings out.
>
> 



0
John
11/4/2005 6:18:20 PM
And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
TOP
11/6/2005 1:00:06 PM
There are occasional discrepancies with text size and position, but not 
enough to be a serious problem.  I review the eDrawings before sending them 
on to customers and most of the time I don't notice any problem.  When I do 
see text that appears incorrectly, I will occasionally adjust the original 
drawing file to compensate and re-create the eDrawing.

I have never had a customer comment on text size, so I doubt they are even 
aware of any slight discrepancies that exist.

-- 

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Mechanical Engineer
Agile Technology
512-633-0394

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message 
news:1131282006.819217.22800@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?
>
> 



0
John
11/7/2005 1:53:52 PM
We are having a problem with eDrawings not printing OLE objects to Xerox
large format plotters.  Drawings print fine in draft mode or to other
printers.  I'm concerned what our customer will see when they plot.

Tony

"John Eric Voltin" <jevoltin@agile-technology.com> wrote in message
news:Q%Ibf.74456$Bf7.47837@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> There are occasional discrepancies with text size and position, but not
> enough to be a serious problem.  I review the eDrawings before sending
them
> on to customers and most of the time I don't notice any problem.  When I
do
> see text that appears incorrectly, I will occasionally adjust the original
> drawing file to compensate and re-create the eDrawing.
>
> I have never had a customer comment on text size, so I doubt they are even
> aware of any slight discrepancies that exist.
>
> -- 
>
>  - John
>
> John Eric Voltin
> Mechanical Engineer
> Agile Technology
> 512-633-0394
>
> "TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
> news:1131282006.819217.22800@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?
> >
> >
>
>
>


0
Tony
11/9/2005 12:25:52 AM
I haven't encountered this problem, so I can't offer any insights.  I know 
my customers periodically print from the eDrawings and no one has complained 
about printing problems.  To be honest, I suspect the primary use of 
eDrawings is on screen review, so printing may be a secondary priority.

-- 

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Mechanical Engineer
Agile Technology
512-633-0394

"Tony" <noll47@comcast.net> wrote in message 
news:Rp6dnSgUv7-J3-zeRVn-vA@comcast.com...
> We are having a problem with eDrawings not printing OLE objects to Xerox
> large format plotters.  Drawings print fine in draft mode or to other
> printers.  I'm concerned what our customer will see when they plot.
>
> Tony
>
> "John Eric Voltin" <jevoltin@agile-technology.com> wrote in message
> news:Q%Ibf.74456$Bf7.47837@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>> There are occasional discrepancies with text size and position, but not
>> enough to be a serious problem.  I review the eDrawings before sending
> them
>> on to customers and most of the time I don't notice any problem.  When I
> do
>> see text that appears incorrectly, I will occasionally adjust the 
>> original
>> drawing file to compensate and re-create the eDrawing.
>>
>> I have never had a customer comment on text size, so I doubt they are 
>> even
>> aware of any slight discrepancies that exist.
>>
>> -- 
>>
>>  - John
>>
>> John Eric Voltin
>> Mechanical Engineer
>> Agile Technology
>> 512-633-0394
>>
>> "TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
>> news:1131282006.819217.22800@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> > And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> 



0
John
11/9/2005 12:53:11 AM
The problems I have are more than minor discrepancies. When a note is
well within the border of a drawing in SWX and then runs an inch
outside the drawing in eDrawings it is not acceptable nor to any
standards I know of. This kind of thing occurs so often that it is more
than a minor inconvenience.

Out of curiousity, what font do you use on your drawings?

0
TOP
11/10/2005 11:22:31 AM
I typically use Century Gothic throughout a drawing.  Do you ever use more 
than one font on a given drawing?

-- 

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Mechanical Engineer
Agile Technology
512-633-0394

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message 
news:1131621751.282359.198060@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> The problems I have are more than minor discrepancies. When a note is
> well within the border of a drawing in SWX and then runs an inch
> outside the drawing in eDrawings it is not acceptable nor to any
> standards I know of. This kind of thing occurs so often that it is more
> than a minor inconvenience.
>
> Out of curiousity, what font do you use on your drawings?
>
> 



0
John
11/10/2005 4:03:27 PM
I did some tests today to try to narrow the OLE print issue from eDrawings.
I made a simple round extrude, created a drawing and inserted one line of
text from MS Word.  Took forever to print  (about 7 minutes) in quality
mode!  Print file size is HUGE.  Removed the one line of text and it printed
in seconds.  Tried the same test with an MS Excel spreadshet and had the
same result.  I've been communicating with both SW and Xerox to isolate the
problem.  Nothing thus far.

Regards,

Tony

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
news:1131282006.819217.22800@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?
>


0
Tony
11/12/2005 12:51:48 AM
We use Arial Narrow. This may be the problem. Century Gothic is the
default SW font and may be the only one tested. The font we use is
pretty much a company standard which means if I try to change it I
better get used to wearing tar and feathers.

And to answer your question, No, we just use the one font.

0
TOP
11/15/2005 4:22:47 AM
If eDrawings works well with Century Gothic (the default), but not other 
fonts that is a serious limitation.  Generally speaking, I have no reason to 
change the font from the default so my situation may be a special case.

If I get a chance, I will perform some quick tests tomorrow.

-- 

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Mechanical Engineer
Agile Technology
512-633-0394

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message 
news:1132028567.197610.263350@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> We use Arial Narrow. This may be the problem. Century Gothic is the
> default SW font and may be the only one tested. The font we use is
> pretty much a company standard which means if I try to change it I
> better get used to wearing tar and feathers.
>
> And to answer your question, No, we just use the one font.
>
> 



0
John
11/15/2005 5:28:20 AM
Here is a quote from a vendor to whom I just sent an eDrawing exe file.
Another 15 minutes wasted screwing around with non-standard file
formats. They got a pdf in the end.

I got you e-mail and tried doing as you'd instructed in your voice mail
message
but didn't have any luck.  I'm getting a message that I need to
download some
solidworks software that I am unsure whether [vendor's name] Bearings
wants me to download.

If you have any way of converting it to an Autocad 2000 or pdf file I
should be
able to open it.

0
TOP
12/2/2005 12:24:29 PM
Hey TOP.........

If you send them the zipped version of the e drawing, then there is
nothing that needs to be downloaded. It sends the viewer with it.

0
modelsin3d
12/2/2005 2:05:29 PM
That's what I thought. No more.

0
TOP
12/2/2005 9:19:13 PM
Reply:
Similar Artilces:

Send string to C++ Code (SWIG tcl VS Express)
Hi, I have recently started to use Swig to be able to use TCL info in C++ code. I have a slight problem that I cannot solve... I have a list that i want to process with a DLL coded with C++. I (think) i= transformed my list to be readable under C++ and i made a pointer to this = list. Here is the code i have to do this : BEGIN CODE In C++ environnement : #include<stdlib.h> #include<stdio.h> double *double_array(int size) { return (double *) malloc(size*sizeof(double)); } /* Get a value from an array */ double double_get(double *a, int index) { re...

Watermark in eDrawings
Sometimes we send eDrawings to clients and partners who may use them for promotions or marketing. Some of these eDrawings are made directly from assembly files and don't have our logo or company name. Ideally we'd like to be able to put a watermark company name/logo across the image and it should not be removable (much like on photographs). Any suggestions, comments? Thanks. That sounds like a good idea for an enhancement request. What about saving the file as a PDF and adding the watermark in the PDF? Richard "Dale Dunn" <daledunnSCRATCH@jamestool.com> wrote in...

eDrawings on MacOSX
I was just browsing my eDrawings of my latest project on my 17" PowerBook, and must say, SolidWorks did a bang up job of the eDrawings viewer even though it is only a 'Beta'. In fact I like the look better than eDrawings on my Dell. The Force is with me. Bo yeah, it looks much nicer on the macs. I found lots of crashing with files with configurations - do you get the same? "Bonobo" <bo@tilikum.com> wrote in message news:1122749450.404457.245030@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I was just browsing my eDrawings of my latest project on my 17" > Power...

=?UTF-8?B?SXTigJlz?= The End Of Days For Windows XP =?UTF-8?B?4oCT?= Microsoft Will Send Pop-up Reminders
"It=E2=80=99s the end of the line for Windows XP. Microsoft is planning to = use pop-up warnings to remind users to upgrade and it could start as soon as next week. Windows XP will end its 12-year successful run on April 8th and Microsoft wants the considerable number of users to shift over to more modern versions of its operating system. The pop-up notifications will be enabled from March 8th following the monthly patch cycle of Windows Update." http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/end-days-windows-xp-microsoft-will-send-pop-re= minders/ User comments are interesting ;) --=...

I Don't Want A Machinist To Modify "My Part" / Why Would A Machinist Need To Modify A Customers Part?
In my opinion the people who make this kind of statement are idiots who often show they have no idea how manufacturing works in the real world. The people who make these kinds of statement are morons like Matt Lombard, Joe 788, Tom Brewer, etc. For those who think these worthless idiots have a clue perhaps this video will give you some ideas why a machinist must have the ability to modify a customers part in order to make it. http://www2.spaceclaim.com/LearnMoreNow/ConseptualDemo.aspx Jon Banquer San Diego, CA http://jonbanquer.blogspot.com/ On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:43:44 -0700 (PDT), jon_...

correct behavior of a custom cell renderer editing
In a JTree I have several leaf nodes w/ a custom renderer extended from DefaultTreeCellRenderer. Some of the leaf nodes are JComboBoxes and others are JTextFields. When user clicks on the leaf node to edit, for ex. a JTextField ... he inputs the text while the field is in edit mode. At this point, what if he doesn't press the enter key to stop it from editing ... what if the user just enters the text, there's still a blinking cursor, then takes the mouse to click on another leaf node ... which means the tree model's listener treeNodesChanged() never gets fired. What am I ...

send command
Is there any way to get around needing to use xhost- and clearing the xhost table in order to use the tcl "send" command. I have no network security issues to worry about and need to allow other machines to be able to run Xapps on the machine that needs to be using the send command for other applications. Thanks in adavance Jerry <very_very_blue@hotmail.com> wrote: : Is there any way to get around needing to use xhost- and clearing the : xhost table in order to use the tcl "send" command. I have no network : security issues to worry about and need to allow...

Need help with eDrawings API
Hello all, I know this might be a long shot, but has anyone of you used C# to program Solidworks eDrawings control? I am having trouble using the provided Print2 function in the eDrawings API. I emailed Solidworks, but their response team is very slow, the last reply about another issue was like 5 days. So I was hoping if anyone can take a look at my code and tell me what is wrong? Thanks! Ke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------- using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.ComponentModel; using System....

Sending user data to the IDLE loop fails
Hi. Below is the smallest example I could come up with of a thread sending a message to IDLE loop. (I am running on Fedora 3.) What I want to do is send user data to the idle loop and I am use the function event.SetRefData to set the data. Immediately afterwards I check that the pointer set is valid, which it is. However, by the time it is processed in the idle loop, the value of the pointer is set to NULL. I would really appreciate some help with this problem. Thanks Peter #include "wx/wx.h" typedef struct eventData { int value ; } EVENT_DATA ; ...

Send faxes via Pegasus/Mercury
At the moment, we're using Pegasus+Mercury/32 for e-mail in our Netware 5.1 network. For faxing, we are using FacSys 4.7. Both systems are working perfectly. Is it possible to combine them? Main purpose would be sending faxes using Pegasus. I guess GroupWise (with a separate fax product) could do the trick, but this is a pretty expensive solution. I found something on http://www.careyhildebrand.com/PMFax.html (not working with Facsys though). Anyone ? Thanks! Ron Answer to my own question... ;-)) Define a SMTP/POP gateway in FacSys. Create a special Fax user a...

Setting up DroboS to send mail
I am having trouble with this. What works from terminal and Mail.app doesn't work for this. I could use some help. I have the following E-Mail Settings: Enable E-mail Alerts on Send E-mail Alerts when a situation is important To root@local.peirce-family.com From root@local.peirce-family.com Seerver 127.0.0.1 Port 110 [taken from Mail.app] Authentication on Username root Password XXXXXXXX I use Qpopper to send local mail. When I send a test E-mail, I get a panel that says: +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.19) at robert-peirces-computer.local starting. This implies the ...

send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk thats send dot me dot spam at hotmail dot co dot uk
send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk send.me.spam@hotmail.co.uk ...

Administrivia: Spooler sending extra form feed before printout
this is on a 918RX running MPE 5.5. When the system sends out a print jo= b to=20 the local network printers a blank page is ejected before the print out s= tarts. The printer is an OCe printer that is in use at 25 other locations withou= t error. I've checked the enviroment file (nothing.hpenv.sys) and it is blank, the= =20 printer config is identical to the rest of my sites, The NPCONFIG is ide= ntical. Any suggentions? * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Send text file to logged in users network folder
I want to send a file to each persons home network space. I believe that when a person logs onto a network, some sort of variable is set that identifies the user. Is there any code that would allow me to transfer a text file from Access 2000 for a mailmerge to the person logged in's special network folder? I don't fully understand this, but I thought someone might know something about it? dixie. On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:29:49 +1100, "Dixie" <dixie@dogmail.com> wrote: >I want to send a file to each persons home network space. I believe that >when a per...

Sending binary data over CGI
Okay, I'm busy making a wonderful cgi program, and everything is working wonderfully so far. I'm using the standard cgi library and the Cookie library and they have been a huge help. Thanks to those who have created them! However, if I try to send binary data, like jpgs, through cgi, the data gets corrupted in a very small manner. Whenever my program sends the character 10, it gets converted to character 13+character 10. I found out this only happens when I send data to stdout. If I send the data to a standard file object, it works fine. However, with the stdout, the problem ar...

Help! Error message 501- can't send email!
Help! I use eudora for my university email account, and for the last week i have been unable to send email to any other email address (yahoo, other schools, etc) I get the error message 501, system is not configured to send email to that address. My ISP has not changed the outgoing smtp server, and i have not changed any of the server info either. Any ideas would be appreciated! Emilia wrote: > > Help! I use eudora for my university email account, and for the last > week i have been unable to send email to any other email address > (yahoo, other schools, etc) I get th...

OT: Microsoft apologizes for serving malware to customers
http://apcmag.com/5382/microsoft_apologises_for_serving_malware_to_customers ...

Winrar failing, QuickSFV sends CPU to 100%
Having an issue with opening rar archives. Winrar gives a 'Packed data CRC failed' error message on rars. These rars work on other PCs. I can take an external drive with rars on it, winrar fails with CRc errors. Plug it into another computer (slower processor and memory) and it works fine. Set of 40 14.3 MB rars. One other issue is that when QuickSFV is run on sfv file, CPU goes to 100% and no response. Something is 'out of whack'. Any ideas? Tried UltimateZip as well, same issue. Tried Winrar 3.2 and new 3.3b4. Win XP Pro CPU: 2500+, 756 MB memory (not too slow a co...

Custom Toolbar Gnome Desktop
I'm not really looking for someone to give me a step by step, but more of a high level "point me in a direction"... Basically, I want to create a custom toolbar that launches with every user (I run NIS). This would just need to launch simple scripts represented by icons, almost like a "toolkit". Is this an option that is built into the OS? Something that is controlled using gconf? I need a little guidance. Thanks, Scott BTW... I am using Gnome on fedora core 4 ...

Oracle Portal
Hello, I am trying to have a personalize page for end users to where user could hide,show portlets and add portlets from a repository, Of course we do not wants to use the default personalize option available in Oracle Portal. Could someone kindly help me how can I achieve this? Any API's or samples or documentation on this? I know Oracle Portal already bundled with this feature, but our organization would like to build this to get better look and feel and user friendliness. I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. ...

Texture in edrawings?
Is there a way to get the textures to show up in eDrawings? I am running SW 2k4 SP2.1 and eDrawings 4 SP2. -- Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG no "Ken Cook" <kcook@hillsinc.net> wrote in message news:a26b6dcb885bac1c105c3e57a8cc3495.84754@mygate.mailgate.org... > Is there a way to get the textures to show up in eDrawings? I am running > SW 2k4 SP2.1 and eDrawings 4 SP2. > > > -- > Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG ...

Let's chip in to send Bailo to Sweden!
http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article177749.ece flatfish+++ "flatfish+++" <flatfish@linuxmail.org> wrote in message news:gijj10lqrrfvf645d5l46u91cqrqf6pald@4ax.com... > http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article177749.ece > > flatfish+++ I bet its too late at least for farm animals. Benjamin wrote: > "flatfish+++" <flatfish@linuxmail.org> wrote in message > news:gijj10lqrrfvf645d5l46u91cqrqf6pald@4ax.com... > >>http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article177749.ece >> >>flatfish+++ > > > I bet its to...

edrawings lockup
I'm trying to use edrawings Professional 2007. It will open a DWG fine. As soon as I try to open a SW file or edrawing file it locks up. 2006 was working fine. Any ideas? Rudy I hade the same issue, open the viewer from the desktop not SW. under tools, options set tick box to use software open GL. will be slow but should work. I have the latest drivers (fx 3450) but will not work with open GL enabled :(((( steve Rudy wrote: > I'm trying to use edrawings Professional 2007. It will open a DWG fine. As > soon as I try to open a SW file or edrawing file it locks up. 2006 was &...

matlab animation custom help!
Someone helped me write a program for roatating 2 spheres (code below). I looked though the program,figured out what each part was doing, and tweaked the program how I wanted it. However, this program only rotates the x,y,and z, cordinates.. Is there a way to rotate the spheres with custom functions for the x,y,and z axis.. Should I make a matrix of x,y,and z values using the functions and than somehow tell the sphere to go along that path? How would I go about doing that or is there something else I should do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. rad=30; % initialize axes a=axes axis([-r...

Problem sending emails
Hi, I upgraded from Domino 4.6.4 to 6.0, and since then, I cannot send external emails with certain users. When I look at the domino screen, I see that the shown email is like this: user%domain@domain.com mail works correctly with some other users... NB: I use smtp relaying to my ISP. ...