eDrawings-Would you send them to a customer? 42965

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

This is a followup on a discussion from a while back:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E50325A1C

I tried eDrawings 2006 thinking that all the issues that caused the
original post were cleared up. Text sizing still has not been fixed. So
I am still waiting, and still not able to send eDrawings out.

0
Reply kellnerp (208) 11/4/2005 11:56:38 AM

See related articles to this posting

For drawings, I send .pdf by default. I often send .dwg to customers who
ask for it or who I know need the editable 3d data. For me, eDrawings are
resrved for those customers who want to look at a model, but there isn't
time or ability to use something else.

So, no, I would not send an eDrawing drawing to a customer. I agree, it's
just not good enough.
0
Reply Dale 11/4/2005 2:10:15 PM

I routinely send eDrawings to customers so they can review the models.
Typically, I create eDrawings of parts and assemblies, not drawings.  When I
have a drawing to send to a customer, I normally begin by sending a pdf
version.  Occasionally, I will also send an eDrawing created from a drawing
file.

Overall, my customers really like the eDrawings and find them to be very
useful in reviewing designs.  They understand that any text/notes might not
be cleanly formatted, but they don't care because the 3-D models are their
focus.  Of course, despite any formatting problems, any text or notes are
useful in identifying and explaining things.

I should note that I recently generated a 12 page eDrawing from a drawing
file so it could be used to give a presentation dominated by 3-D models.  My
customer was very happy with the result.

--

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Mechanical Engineer
Agile Technology
512-633-0394

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
> This is a followup on a discussion from a while back:
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?E50325A1C
>
> I tried eDrawings 2006 thinking that all the issues that caused the
> original post were cleared up. Text sizing still has not been fixed. So
> I am still waiting, and still not able to send eDrawings out.

0
Reply John 11/4/2005 6:18:20 PM

And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
Reply TOP 11/6/2005 1:00:06 PM

There are occasional discrepancies with text size and position, but not
enough to be a serious problem.  I review the eDrawings before sending them
on to customers and most of the time I don't notice any problem.  When I do
see text that appears incorrectly, I will occasionally adjust the original
drawing file to compensate and re-create the eDrawing.

I have never had a customer comment on text size, so I doubt they are even
aware of any slight discrepancies that exist.

--

> And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
Reply John 11/7/2005 1:53:52 PM

We are having a problem with eDrawings not printing OLE objects to Xerox
large format plotters.  Drawings print fine in draft mode or to other
printers.  I'm concerned what our customer will see when they plot.

Tony

"John Eric Voltin" <jevoltin@agile-technology.com> wrote in message
> There are occasional discrepancies with text size and position, but not
> enough to be a serious problem.  I review the eDrawings before sending
them
> on to customers and most of the time I don't notice any problem.  When I
do
> see text that appears incorrectly, I will occasionally adjust the original
> drawing file to compensate and re-create the eDrawing.
>
> I have never had a customer comment on text size, so I doubt they are even
> aware of any slight discrepancies that exist.
>
> --
>
>  - John
>
> John Eric Voltin
> Mechanical Engineer
> Agile Technology
> 512-633-0394
>
> "TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
> > And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
Reply Tony 11/9/2005 12:25:52 AM

I haven't encountered this problem, so I can't offer any insights.  I know
my customers periodically print from the eDrawings and no one has complained
about printing problems.  To be honest, I suspect the primary use of
eDrawings is on screen review, so printing may be a secondary priority.

--

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Mechanical Engineer
Agile Technology
512-633-0394

"Tony" <noll47@comcast.net> wrote in message
> We are having a problem with eDrawings not printing OLE objects to Xerox
> large format plotters.  Drawings print fine in draft mode or to other
> printers.  I'm concerned what our customer will see when they plot.
>
> Tony
>
> "John Eric Voltin" <jevoltin@agile-technology.com> wrote in message
>> There are occasional discrepancies with text size and position, but not
>> enough to be a serious problem.  I review the eDrawings before sending
> them
>> on to customers and most of the time I don't notice any problem.  When I
> do
>> see text that appears incorrectly, I will occasionally adjust the
>> original
>> drawing file to compensate and re-create the eDrawing.
>>
>> I have never had a customer comment on text size, so I doubt they are
>> even
>> aware of any slight discrepancies that exist.
>>
>> --
>>
>>  - John
>>
>> John Eric Voltin
>> Mechanical Engineer
>> Agile Technology
>> 512-633-0394
>>
>> "TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
>> > And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
Reply John 11/9/2005 12:53:11 AM

The problems I have are more than minor discrepancies. When a note is
well within the border of a drawing in SWX and then runs an inch
outside the drawing in eDrawings it is not acceptable nor to any
standards I know of. This kind of thing occurs so often that it is more
than a minor inconvenience.

Out of curiousity, what font do you use on your drawings?

0
Reply TOP 11/10/2005 11:22:31 AM

I typically use Century Gothic throughout a drawing.  Do you ever use more
than one font on a given drawing?

--

> The problems I have are more than minor discrepancies. When a note is
> well within the border of a drawing in SWX and then runs an inch
> outside the drawing in eDrawings it is not acceptable nor to any
> standards I know of. This kind of thing occurs so often that it is more
> than a minor inconvenience.
>
> Out of curiousity, what font do you use on your drawings?

0
Reply John 11/10/2005 4:03:27 PM

I did some tests today to try to narrow the OLE print issue from eDrawings.
I made a simple round extrude, created a drawing and inserted one line of
text from MS Word.  Took forever to print  (about 7 minutes) in quality
mode!  Print file size is HUGE.  Removed the one line of text and it printed
in seconds.  Tried the same test with an MS Excel spreadshet and had the
same result.  I've been communicating with both SW and Xerox to isolate the
problem.  Nothing thus far.

Regards,

Tony

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
> And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
Reply Tony 11/12/2005 12:51:48 AM

We use Arial Narrow. This may be the problem. Century Gothic is the
default SW font and may be the only one tested. The font we use is
pretty much a company standard which means if I try to change it I
better get used to wearing tar and feathers.

And to answer your question, No, we just use the one font.

0
Reply TOP 11/15/2005 4:22:47 AM

If eDrawings works well with Century Gothic (the default), but not other
fonts that is a serious limitation.  Generally speaking, I have no reason to
change the font from the default so my situation may be a special case.

If I get a chance, I will perform some quick tests tomorrow.

--

> We use Arial Narrow. This may be the problem. Century Gothic is the
> default SW font and may be the only one tested. The font we use is
> pretty much a company standard which means if I try to change it I
> better get used to wearing tar and feathers.
>
> And to answer your question, No, we just use the one font.

0
Reply John 11/15/2005 5:28:20 AM

Here is a quote from a vendor to whom I just sent an eDrawing exe file.
Another 15 minutes wasted screwing around with non-standard file
formats. They got a pdf in the end.

I got you e-mail and tried doing as you'd instructed in your voice mail
message
but didn't have any luck.  I'm getting a message that I need to
download some
solidworks software that I am unsure whether [vendor's name] Bearings
wants me to download.

If you have any way of converting it to an Autocad 2000 or pdf file I
should be
able to open it.

0
Reply TOP 12/2/2005 12:24:29 PM

Hey TOP.........

If you send them the zipped version of the e drawing, then there is
nothing that needs to be downloaded. It sends the viewer with it.

0
Reply modelsin3d 12/2/2005 2:05:29 PM

That's what I thought. No more.

0
Reply TOP 12/2/2005 9:19:13 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14541 articles. 55 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

eDrawings-Would you send them to a customer? 24241
I just generated 40 eDrawings. About half are so bad I don't think they can be sent to the vendor. Every one has a block or two in it. The text looks awful. Some fill in the part (these are drawings) with black. Great on printer cartridges. On 6 Mar 2005 18:36:15 -0800, "P." <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote: >I just generated 40 eDrawings. About half are so bad I don't think they >can be sent to the vendor. Every one has a block or two in it. The text >looks awful. Some fill in the part (these are drawings) with black. >Great on printer cartridges. > I agree...

edrawings can send through mozilla
I recently changes to SP4, I just sent an edrawing and it brought up Mozilla!! Mozilla is my default browser/email program, but I keep IE and outlook alive for those programs that must have them. edrawings was one of them. yes..... one step closer to deleting outlook. he he he.... Joe -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =----- "joe(usenews)" <"joe(usenews)"@adv-mach.com> wrote in news:3f2fe2c6$1_4@corp.newsgroups.co...

Send custom TCP packets
Hi, I'm trying to do a performance evaluation on a NIC. What I want to do is to be able to send custom TCP packets from a linux machine to a remote host's discard server. Ideally, I would like to be able to specify the size and the data in the packet and I would like to blitz thousands of such custom pre-made packets to get a feel for the throughput. Is there any linux application which would allow me to do this? Is there a workaround for this? I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance, Ishwar Agarwal In article <4bc2dac0.0307140821.2f9c196a@posting.google.com>, Ishwar &l...

send custom arp request
hi all, i have been searching a lot on how to send ethernet frames containing an arp request. but i cant figure out how to do it. winsock ( winsock 2 ) is not capable of sending frames other than ip frames ?! is there a way to do this ? thanks in advance... matthias Didn't you try raw sockets for that ? Arkady "matthias" <mmunzel@gmx.de> wrote in message news:bleodk$ll0$06$1@news.t-online.com... > hi all, > > i have been searching a lot on how to send ethernet frames containing an arp > request. but i cant figure out how to do it. >...

Customers forced to send Tiger back!
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1029 I have never in my life heard of a company calling up a customer and telling them to send back a product because of the marketing people were anal about a release date. The best part is the reports of Apple "invalidating" copies of Tiger. Imagine buying a new car and having the manufacturer turning off your engine until they felt like it. LOL! In article <7d1u61despreb528q1r5pn3steb66b9t2t@4ax.com>, llort@xuscam.com says... > http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1029 > > I have never in my life h...

Windows tool to send custom ICMP
Hello, Can somone recommend a tool that allows the transmission of user defined ICMP echo packets and that runs on Windows. I suspect that I have a data pattern dependent network failure and want to define some packets that may stimulate the failure. Thanks. In article <3adc58e4.0409130433.508b8a7b@posting.google.com>, AnyBody43 <anybody43@hotmail.com> wrote: :Can somone recommend a tool that allows the transmission :of user defined ICMP echo packets and that runs on Windows. :I suspect that I have a data pattern dependent network failure :and want to define some packets that ...

SolidWorks sends me an offer -- free eDrawings (!?)
Just got an email from SolidWorks Corp: ------------------ Now there's a fast, easy, clear, accurate way to communicate and collaborate with your entire product development team across multiple CAD platforms, including AutoCAD�, Pro/ENGINEER�, CATIA�, and SolidWorks�. Just download eDrawings(TM), from SolidWorks Corporation and SolidWorks Solution Partner Geometric Software Solutions, AT NO CHARGE. Experience the first publishing and viewing software that makes product design data dramatically easier to work with ------------------ Doh. I've been a customer for five years. Is this...

Configure sendmail to send to a custom port
I am trying to configure sendmail to send e-mail to a partner domain on port 8025 instead of the usual 25, but I can't find any information on how to do this although I'm sure I came across something on this a few days ago. Can anyone advise whether this is possible and how its done please? "John Chajecki" <jchaj.news@group.dsl.pipex.com> writes: > I am trying to configure sendmail to send e-mail to a partner domain > on port 8025 instead of the usual 25, but I can't find any information > on how to do this although I'm sure I came across somethi...

Simulating Send and File from a custom action
I've written LotusScript code that's run from a button click on a Memo form. Currently, it performs "Send" via doc.send. Now I need to extend it with "Send and File" functionality. It would be great if doc.sendandfile existed, but that's not an option. So, how can I add "Send and File" functionality to a custom action? Thanks, Jim Thanks. I've already solved it. -Jim ...

Sending custom SNMP traps from Linux
Where can I find information on sending custom SNMP traps from a linux system. Chris, The best trap generator is TrapGen from http://www.ncomtech.com/download.htm and it is free. Joe "Chris Gumm" <cmgummATcinciDOTrrDOTcom> wrote in message news:<3f677d30$0$43897$a0465688@nnrp.fuse.net>... > Where can I find information on sending custom SNMP traps from a linux > system. "Chris Gumm" <cmgummATcinciDOTrrDOTcom> wrote: > Where can I find information on sending custom SNMP traps from a linux > system. If you've got t...

sending custom graphics to the video card
i wish to send graphics to the videocard from my binary application. first of all can it be done in windows? i dont mind writing a graphics subsystem or anything like that.. these things can be done.. hehe i will probably need to get the binary color representation of the video card are these things standard? On Apr 19, 4:50=A0am, test <t...@testme.org> wrote: > i wish to send graphics to the videocard from my binary application. firs= t of all can it be done in windows? i dont mind writing a graphics subsyste= m or anything like that.. these things can be done.. hehe > i ...

Simulating Send and File from a custom action
I've written LotusScript code that's run from a button click. Currently, it performs "Send" via doc.send. Now I need to extend it with "Send and File" functionality. It would be great if doc.sendandfile existed, but that's not an option. So, how can I add "Send and File" functionality to a custom action? Thanks, Jim ...

Send multiple custom e-mails from Access
My app creates a building report. My users have requested that I provide functionality to e-mail these "building reports" to building managers once a month. So assuming that I have the following table that lists a building manager's name, e-mail address and their building, is there a way that I can automate this to send these monthly e-mails from Outlook. Ideally this would be a click one button type of action: Example table: Name E-Mail Building Nbr John Doe john.doe@www.com 443 Mary Smit mary.smit@w...

MAILER-DAEMON sending bounce back to customers
Is there a way to ensure bounce back messages are only sent to the postmaster. A lot of our customers aren't concerned if the message didn't get through this time but will continue trying for whatever period of time. Thanks DTB ...

How to send a custom event to a created child window ?
Hi All, I'm having a problem with redraw/move not doing the right thing because I'm updating an on screen image in a tight while loop. I got a message from Armel late last week suggesting that I make my code more event driven so that other messages (move, paint) can get in and the screen will look okay (I'm not sure if using a wxTimer is the way to go though). I've defined a simple custom event (no new class, just a wxCommandEvent) and I can fire and receive it from within my main window. However, my runtime created child panel, doesn't receive this event. ...

How to send a custom message with a param to a win32 service?
Hi, I've never written a service before and need to know the best way to pass a custom parameter to it. Basically I just need my service to launch the URL of a web page that I send it from another app running on the same PC. Thanks for any help, Tom codemagic wrote: > Hi, > > I've never written a service before and need to know the best way to > pass a custom parameter to it. Basically I just need my service to > launch the URL of a web page that I send it from another app running on > the same PC. > > Thanks for any help, > >...

Send and file button on custom mail forms
Hi Does anyone know how I can make the "Send and file" button work on custom mail forms? We have 3 custom forms in our organization, and the button does not work as it should. When using it, I'm asked to select the folder I want to use, then when hitting OK, instead of being sent and saved, I get the standard "Send and save, send only etc" dialog box like i you hit ESC to close a any mail enabled document. If I select send and save, the message will be saved however not in the folder that I selected. How can I modify the button to work also on custom...

Send Email from Access Using a custom Outlook Form
I know how to send email from Access and I know how to create a custom form in Outlook. but.... How do I put the email info from Access into the Outlook custom form ??? Dim MyDB As Database Dim MyRS As Recordset Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application Dim objOutlookMsg As Outlook.MailItem Dim objOutlookRecip As Outlook.Recipient Dim objOutlookAttach As Outlook.Attachment Dim TheAddress As String Set MyDB = CurrentDb Set MyRS = MyDB.OpenRecordset("Select * from tblMailingList Where responded <>-1") MyRS.MoveFirst ' Create the Outlook session. Set objOu...

[News] [Linux] Is Novell Sending Prospective Linux Customer to Microsoft?
Will Howard College in Big Spring, TX Choose Vista or Linux? ,----[ Quote ] | I have just been informed that they have used NetWare for 10 years | at this college and are thinking about switching to the Linux side | of Novell because of the machines they have. You can also send a | direct link to this post to other colleges if you agree. | | [... comment ...] | | I know that you are considering moving to Novell and SUSE Linux. | This is a huge mistake. The reason is not because Linux is a bad | program or interface but because Novell and SUSE have sided with | Microsoft and are trying...

Verizon Wireless Starts Sending Usage Alerts to Customers [telecom]
Verizon Wireless Starts Sending Usage Alerts to Customers USA based Verizon Wireless is to start sending alerts to its customers warning them when they are getting close to using up their inclusive allowances on the tariff they are subscribed to. http://www.cellular-news.com/story/56668.php -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly) ...

Verizon Wireless Customers Can Send Photos to Microsoft Outlook
Verizon Wireless Customers Can Send Photos to Microsoft Outlook or Palm Contact Lists with iPhonebook - Aug 27, 2003 08:01 AM (BusinessWire) BEDMINSTER, N.J. & SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 27, 2003-- With iPhonebook and Verizon Wireless picture messaging on the LG VX6000, Customers Can Send Photos to Virtually Anyone A picture can say a thousand words, and with today's availability of iPhonebook on Verizon Wireless' Get It Now(SM) service for the LG VX6000, customers can now use their wireless phones to email pictures to virtually anyone. Co...

OT: how to handle files from customers who send new files without new revs
I know we can't be the only ones with this headache. Customer sends 2D or 3D files. Sometime later they send new "corrected" files but don't give it a new document number or revision. Our database doesn't care (it uses unique longint number to identify) but when you start looking for a file we depend on PN+rev. That's also how the customer will identify it. It looks to me like we are going to have to add a third identifier when searching for the file.... How do other folks handle this? Mark B. whoever receives the customer file can't rename it per y...

Kmail
Hi, When at work I need to use "mail transport A" and at home "mail transport B". There is no relationship between transport and address; the only way I can see to automatically adjust the transport (which I _always_ forget). Maybe filtering sent messages won't work (if the filter runs after sending), in that case I thought I could edit the transport settings to call an external script but I don't see where they are stored. Any advice? -- Kevin Pfeiffer International University Bremen - www.iu-bremen.de ...

Custom iterator or custom predicate?
Is there a stylistically preferred way to apply an algorithm to a vector of vectors? For example, suppose I have: typedef vector< vector<int> > Array2D; Array2D array2D; I want to find the top-level element who's 2nd element is the maximum (think searching on column 2). The obvious algorithm is max_element, but do I use a custom iterator or a custom predicate? Should I define a predicate like LessThan2ndElement<T> or an interator adaptor that converts Array2D::iterator to an interator that, when dereferenced, returns the 2nd element of the vector<int> it po...