eDrawings-Would you send them to a customer? 42965

This is a followup on a discussion from a while back:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E50325A1C

I tried eDrawings 2006 thinking that all the issues that caused the
original post were cleared up. Text sizing still has not been fixed. So
I am still waiting, and still not able to send eDrawings out.

0
kellnerp (209)
11/4/2005 11:56:38 AM
comp.cad.solidworks 14446 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

For drawings, I send .pdf by default. I often send .dwg to customers who
ask for it or who I know need the editable 3d data. For me, eDrawings are
resrved for those customers who want to look at a model, but there isn't
time or ability to use something else.

So, no, I would not send an eDrawing drawing to a customer. I agree, it's
just not good enough.
0
Dale
11/4/2005 2:10:15 PM
I routinely send eDrawings to customers so they can review the models.
Typically, I create eDrawings of parts and assemblies, not drawings.  When I
have a drawing to send to a customer, I normally begin by sending a pdf
version.  Occasionally, I will also send an eDrawing created from a drawing
file.

Overall, my customers really like the eDrawings and find them to be very
useful in reviewing designs.  They understand that any text/notes might not
be cleanly formatted, but they don't care because the 3-D models are their
focus.  Of course, despite any formatting problems, any text or notes are
useful in identifying and explaining things.

I should note that I recently generated a 12 page eDrawing from a drawing
file so it could be used to give a presentation dominated by 3-D models.  My
customer was very happy with the result.

--

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Mechanical Engineer
Agile Technology
512-633-0394

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
> This is a followup on a discussion from a while back:
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?E50325A1C
>
> I tried eDrawings 2006 thinking that all the issues that caused the
> original post were cleared up. Text sizing still has not been fixed. So
> I am still waiting, and still not able to send eDrawings out.

0
John
11/4/2005 6:18:20 PM
And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
TOP
11/6/2005 1:00:06 PM
There are occasional discrepancies with text size and position, but not
enough to be a serious problem.  I review the eDrawings before sending them
on to customers and most of the time I don't notice any problem.  When I do
see text that appears incorrectly, I will occasionally adjust the original
drawing file to compensate and re-create the eDrawing.

I have never had a customer comment on text size, so I doubt they are even
aware of any slight discrepancies that exist.

--

> And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
John
11/7/2005 1:53:52 PM
We are having a problem with eDrawings not printing OLE objects to Xerox
large format plotters.  Drawings print fine in draft mode or to other
printers.  I'm concerned what our customer will see when they plot.

Tony

"John Eric Voltin" <jevoltin@agile-technology.com> wrote in message
> There are occasional discrepancies with text size and position, but not
> enough to be a serious problem.  I review the eDrawings before sending
them
> on to customers and most of the time I don't notice any problem.  When I
do
> see text that appears incorrectly, I will occasionally adjust the original
> drawing file to compensate and re-create the eDrawing.
>
> I have never had a customer comment on text size, so I doubt they are even
> aware of any slight discrepancies that exist.
>
> --
>
>  - John
>
> John Eric Voltin
> Mechanical Engineer
> Agile Technology
> 512-633-0394
>
> "TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
> > And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
Tony
11/9/2005 12:25:52 AM
I haven't encountered this problem, so I can't offer any insights.  I know
my customers periodically print from the eDrawings and no one has complained
about printing problems.  To be honest, I suspect the primary use of
eDrawings is on screen review, so printing may be a secondary priority.

--

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Mechanical Engineer
Agile Technology
512-633-0394

"Tony" <noll47@comcast.net> wrote in message
> We are having a problem with eDrawings not printing OLE objects to Xerox
> large format plotters.  Drawings print fine in draft mode or to other
> printers.  I'm concerned what our customer will see when they plot.
>
> Tony
>
> "John Eric Voltin" <jevoltin@agile-technology.com> wrote in message
>> There are occasional discrepancies with text size and position, but not
>> enough to be a serious problem.  I review the eDrawings before sending
> them
>> on to customers and most of the time I don't notice any problem.  When I
> do
>> see text that appears incorrectly, I will occasionally adjust the
>> original
>> drawing file to compensate and re-create the eDrawing.
>>
>> I have never had a customer comment on text size, so I doubt they are
>> even
>> aware of any slight discrepancies that exist.
>>
>> --
>>
>>  - John
>>
>> John Eric Voltin
>> Mechanical Engineer
>> Agile Technology
>> 512-633-0394
>>
>> "TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
>> > And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
John
11/9/2005 12:53:11 AM
The problems I have are more than minor discrepancies. When a note is
well within the border of a drawing in SWX and then runs an inch
outside the drawing in eDrawings it is not acceptable nor to any
standards I know of. This kind of thing occurs so often that it is more
than a minor inconvenience.

Out of curiousity, what font do you use on your drawings?

0
TOP
11/10/2005 11:22:31 AM
I typically use Century Gothic throughout a drawing.  Do you ever use more
than one font on a given drawing?

--

> The problems I have are more than minor discrepancies. When a note is
> well within the border of a drawing in SWX and then runs an inch
> outside the drawing in eDrawings it is not acceptable nor to any
> standards I know of. This kind of thing occurs so often that it is more
> than a minor inconvenience.
>
> Out of curiousity, what font do you use on your drawings?

0
John
11/10/2005 4:03:27 PM
I did some tests today to try to narrow the OLE print issue from eDrawings.
I made a simple round extrude, created a drawing and inserted one line of
text from MS Word.  Took forever to print  (about 7 minutes) in quality
mode!  Print file size is HUGE.  Removed the one line of text and it printed
in seconds.  Tried the same test with an MS Excel spreadshet and had the
same result.  I've been communicating with both SW and Xerox to isolate the
problem.  Nothing thus far.

Regards,

Tony

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
> And you don't have any problems with text sizing or other issues?

0
Tony
11/12/2005 12:51:48 AM
We use Arial Narrow. This may be the problem. Century Gothic is the
default SW font and may be the only one tested. The font we use is
pretty much a company standard which means if I try to change it I
better get used to wearing tar and feathers.

And to answer your question, No, we just use the one font.

0
TOP
11/15/2005 4:22:47 AM
If eDrawings works well with Century Gothic (the default), but not other
fonts that is a serious limitation.  Generally speaking, I have no reason to
change the font from the default so my situation may be a special case.

If I get a chance, I will perform some quick tests tomorrow.

--

> We use Arial Narrow. This may be the problem. Century Gothic is the
> default SW font and may be the only one tested. The font we use is
> pretty much a company standard which means if I try to change it I
> better get used to wearing tar and feathers.
>
> And to answer your question, No, we just use the one font.

0
John
11/15/2005 5:28:20 AM
Here is a quote from a vendor to whom I just sent an eDrawing exe file.
Another 15 minutes wasted screwing around with non-standard file
formats. They got a pdf in the end.

I got you e-mail and tried doing as you'd instructed in your voice mail
message
but didn't have any luck.  I'm getting a message that I need to
download some
solidworks software that I am unsure whether [vendor's name] Bearings
wants me to download.

If you have any way of converting it to an Autocad 2000 or pdf file I
should be
able to open it.

0
TOP
12/2/2005 12:24:29 PM
Hey TOP.........

If you send them the zipped version of the e drawing, then there is
nothing that needs to be downloaded. It sends the viewer with it.

0
modelsin3d
12/2/2005 2:05:29 PM
That's what I thought. No more.