File, Find References, Copy Files: Truncating Long File Names

Hello All-

I just experienced this behavior this morning. It was repeatable. Has anyone
else seen this?

The file Name was cut off after 57 characters.

XP Pro SP2
2006 SP0
Office XP 2003 Pro

Best Regards,
Devon T. Sowell
www.3-ddesignsolutions.com

0
Devon
10/3/2005 6:10:05 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14446 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

How long was the path name in total?

0
TOP
10/3/2005 6:31:18 PM
Total including the file extension (.SLDASM) = 174. The file Extension was
retained, just the Name was chopped off. These are my customer's files.

Best Regards,
Devon T. Sowell
www.3-ddesignsolutions.com

"TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
> How long was the path name in total?

0
Devon
10/3/2005 7:38:12 PM
Devon T. Sowell wrote:
> Total including the file extension (.SLDASM) = 174. The file Extension was
> retained, just the Name was chopped off. These are my customer's files.
>
> Best Regards,
> Devon T. Sowell
> www.3-ddesignsolutions.com
>

> "TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
>> How long was the path name in total?

Just a guess or two

If files on a network, Map a Network Folder to make the path shorter.
Move files to to another folder to make a shorter path.

You weren't writing the files to CD by any chance?

John

0
John
10/3/2005 9:14:17 PM
"You weren't writing the files to CD by any chance?"  Bingo!Yes, I was.
Something I rarely do. So, why is this the source of the problem?

They were not on a network, they live in My Documents, in a sub-sub folder.

Best Regards,
Devon T. Sowell
www.3-ddesignsolutions.com

"John Layne" <JohnDON'TBUGMEWITHSPAM@solidengineering.co.nz> wrote in
message news:uig0f.15806$iM2.1294468@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Devon T. Sowell wrote:
> > Total including the file extension (.SLDASM) = 174. The file Extension
was
> > retained, just the Name was chopped off. These are my customer's files.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Devon T. Sowell
> > www.3-ddesignsolutions.com
> >

> > "TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message
> >> How long was the path name in total?
> >>

> Just a guess or two
>
> If files on a network, Map a Network Folder to make the path shorter.
> Move files to to another folder to make a shorter path.
>
> You weren't writing the files to CD by any chance?
>
> John

0
Devon
10/3/2005 9:23:15 PM
"Devon T. Sowell" <dtsowell@3-ddesignsolutions.com> wrote in message
> Hello All-
>
> I just experienced this behavior this morning. It was repeatable. Has
> anyone
> else seen this?
>
> The file Name was cut off after 57 characters.

I'm fairly sure that if files are on a network a path, a length of 126
characters (not including extension) is about all windows will deal with.
Last outfit I worked with had IT Nazis, who developed this incredibly
complicated directory/file structure and we had issues of not even being
able to access directories and files because the path was so horrendously
long.

--
Neville Williams
Z-Axis Design - NZ

0
Neville
10/3/2005 9:29:41 PM
> "You weren't writing the files to CD by any chance?"  Bingo!Yes, I
> was. Something I rarely do. So, why is this the source of the problem?

Aha! Some CD burning tools will truncate file names in an effort to comply
with UDF (or is it ISO 9660?) format limitations in a "user-friendly" way
(without asking).

I like to pack the files in a .zip archive to protect the file names.
0
Dale
10/3/2005 9:56:27 PM
Forget the Network path, that's not what was causing your problems, this
time at least.

I use Nero to burn CD's, but your burning software will (hopefully)
similar settings.

The Mode 1 in the pic should actually be Mode 2, however you need to
relax the restrictions of the ISO standard to allow more than 64
characters. I was originally burned (no pun intended) by this in the
past. I now relax all the restrictions and haven't had any issues with
others reading my CD's since.

http://www.solidengineering.co.nz/help/CDNameerror.jpg

Regards

John Layne
www.solidengineering.co.nz
0
John
10/3/2005 10:04:12 PM
Thanks everyone. I learned something new today (again!).

message news:zVh0f.15842$iM2.1295905@news.xtra.co.nz...

> Forget the Network path, that's not what was causing your problems, this
> time at least.
>
> I use Nero to burn CD's, but your burning software will (hopefully)
> similar settings.
>
> The Mode 1 in the pic should actually be Mode 2, however you need to
> relax the restrictions of the ISO standard to allow more than 64
> characters. I was originally burned (no pun intended) by this in the
> past. I now relax all the restrictions and haven't had any issues with
> others reading my CD's since.
>

> http://www.solidengineering.co.nz/help/CDNameerror.jpg
>
> Regards
>
> John Layne
> www.solidengineering.co.nz

0
Devon
10/3/2005 10:13:32 PM
I suggest everyone to try "Long Path Tool" program. It’s really work for me.
0
markian (6)