Hardware spec for SolidWorks beginner

I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.

I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers, however,
tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
possible in a reasonable amount of time.

To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;

Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
Department)

2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
2Gb memory

40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2

nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card

20" Ultrasharp LCD

Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)

Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The application
is vehicle manufacturing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--

Doug Dent
Cornwall

0
Doug
11/6/2003 10:20:39 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14446 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

You should compare the fully equipped Dell work station with HP (former
Compaq) workstations when fully equipped, since Dell seem prone to have a
low starting price, but when you fill it up to your needs the price may well
have passed an HP machine, equally equipped.
Others may have something to say about balancing one of two expensive
processors to serial ATA or SCSI hard drives and/or faster graphics. The old
Quadro 750 or higher XGL's seems faster in tests than the new (budget model)
Quadro FX500. But an FX 1000 should be faster still.
/per

"Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
> Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
>
> I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
> area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
however,
> tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
> example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
> possible in a reasonable amount of time.
>
> To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
> equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
>
> Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
> if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
> Department)
>
> 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
> 2Gb memory
>
> 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
>
> nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
>
> 20" Ultrasharp LCD
>
> Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
>
> Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
application
> is vehicle manufacturing.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
>
> Doug Dent
> Cornwall
> UK

0
per
11/7/2003 12:14:25 AM
Currently the Opteron 246 systems are the record-setters for the SW
benchmark. The comparison I saw did not include Xeon processors though.
Anyway, I don't think Dell or Compaq sell anything but Intel. The Xeon
porcessor is not significantly faster than the P4 on the SW benchmarks.
See
http://www.specbench.org/gpc/apc.data/specapc_sw2001plus_summary.html

Solidworks does not scale at all to two processors. A second processor
won't be needed unless your users need to do analysis or rendering in a
separate application in the background, or do other things while waiting
for SW. Photoworks does use both processors. See if your people use it.

Make sure the RAM is as fast as possible of course. Stay away from
Rambus' high latency. Look for dual channel DDR DRAM on the 800 MHz bus.
In my opinion, SW and Windows are not stable unough to warrant ECC RAM,
and it's speed penalties. Others may disagree. If the system does not use
the registered DIMMs, make sure the memory is installed in two and only
two modules for minimum latency. For more, see the discussion of memory
here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/building_gaming_opteron_2003
_Part2/page19.asp

Check the task manager's memory usage when your users have a system under
what they would consider maximum load. Get more memory than that,
obviously. No rule of thumb has proven effective, since memory usage
varies so widely with application, even in the same industry. I seem to
be using 15-20% more memory since moving to Sw 2004. You may want to take
that into accound if you haven't moved from 2003 yet.

The QuadroFX500 video card should do well. Some might suggest a fast
GeforceFX with a SoftQuadro patch on the drivers to save money. I'm
guessing you don't want to run unsupported drivers.

If you have room on the desks, a quality 21" CRT will provide better
resolution, brightness, etc. for a lot less money.

Money saved on processors and monitors would be best spent on making sure
the RAM is optimal and a fast disk subsystem. Asseblies and drawings for
a normal project can run into hundreds of MB on disk. Obviously, the
faster that dat acan be read into memory, the sooner you people can get
to work.

Almost anything is going to be lightning fast compared to your existing
machines. Your users must get a lot of web surfing done while waiting on
those things.

--
Dale Dunn
Design Engineer

The overall specs look pretty good. You may want to kick up the graphics a
notch to an FX10000 though.

HP doesn't market a CAD worthy machine under the Compaq name anymore. All
the good stuff is HP.

Dell offers quit a few options as well.

One thing you do need to know is that a well spec'd "white box" machine will
out perform the best from HP and Dell for allot less $. It will be just as
reliable too.

The big boys compete on price, so they tend to go the cheapest route. Mother
board makers like Supermicro, Asus, and Gigabyte, compete on performance
(IO). All three of these companies use first quality components. We have
several Supermicro servers that have been running day and night for years
with zero downtime. Our workstations are Supermicro and ASUS, again zero
problems, and very fast.

Regards

Mark

"Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> wrote in message
> I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
> Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
>
> I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
> area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
however,
> tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
> example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
> possible in a reasonable amount of time.
>
> To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
> equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
>
> Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
> if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
> Department)
>
> 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
> 2Gb memory
>
> 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
>
> nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
>
> 20" Ultrasharp LCD
>
> Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
>
> Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
application
> is vehicle manufacturing.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
>
> Doug Dent
> Cornwall
> UK

0
MM

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3A488.84939D80

I agree with the above posts.

Also, use Windows XP Pro.

Best Regards,
Devon T. Sowell
www.3-ddesignsolutions.com

  "MM" <poundsandspammers@biteme.net> wrote in message =
  Doug,

  The overall specs look pretty good. You may want to kick up the =
graphics a
  notch to an FX10000 though.

  HP doesn't market a CAD worthy machine under the Compaq name anymore. =
All
  the good stuff is HP.

  Dell offers quit a few options as well.

  One thing you do need to know is that a well spec'd "white box" =
machine will
  out perform the best from HP and Dell for allot less $. It will be =
just as
  reliable too.

  The big boys compete on price, so they tend to go the cheapest route. =
Mother
  board makers like Supermicro, Asus, and Gigabyte, compete on =
performance
  (IO). All three of these companies use first quality components. We =
have
  several Supermicro servers that have been running day and night for =
years
  with zero downtime. Our workstations are Supermicro and ASUS, again =
zero
  problems, and very fast.

  Regards

  Mark

  "Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> wrote in message
  > I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) =
with
  > Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
  >
  > I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out =
the IT
  > area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
  however,
  > tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, =
for
  > example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it =
isn't
  > possible in a reasonable amount of time.
  >
  > To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their =
current
  > equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
  >
  > Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq =
equivalent,
  > if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
  > Department)
  >
  > 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
  > 2Gb memory
  >
  > 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
  >
  > nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
  >
  > 20" Ultrasharp LCD
  >
  > Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
  >
  > Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
  application
  > is vehicle manufacturing.
  >
  > Thanks in advance for any help.
  >
  > --
  >
  > Doug Dent
  > Cornwall
  > UK

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3A488.84939D80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I agree with the above =
posts.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also, use Windows XP Pro.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Devon T. Sowell</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.3-ddesignsolutions.com">www.3-ddesignsolutions.com</A>=
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"MM" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:poundsandspammers@biteme.net">poundsandspammers@biteme.net=
</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:L6Cqb.24828$_J5.2882@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com">news:L6Cqb.=
24828$_J5.2882@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com</A>...</DIV>Doug,<BR><BR>The=20
  overall specs look pretty good. You may want to kick up the graphics=20
  a<BR>notch to an FX10000 though.<BR><BR>HP doesn't market a CAD worthy =
machine=20
  under the Compaq name anymore. All<BR>the good stuff is =
HP.<BR><BR>Dell offers=20
  quit a few options as well.<BR><BR>One thing you do need to know is =
that a=20
  well spec'd "white box" machine will<BR>out perform the best from HP =
and Dell=20
  for allot less $. It will be just as<BR>reliable too.<BR><BR>The big =
boys=20
  compete on price, so they tend to go the cheapest route. =
Mother<BR>board=20
  makers like Supermicro, Asus, and Gigabyte, compete on =
performance<BR>(IO).=20
  All three of these companies use first quality components. We =
have<BR>several=20
  Supermicro servers that have been running day and night for =
years<BR>with zero=20
  downtime. Our workstations are Supermicro and ASUS, again =
zero<BR>problems,=20
  and very fast.<BR><BR>Regards<BR><BR>Mark<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>"Doug =
Dent"=20
  &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com">noemailrequired@nospam=
required.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"news:boehfo$gob$1$830fa795@news.demon.co.uk">news:boehfo$gob$1$83=
0fa795@news.demon.co.uk</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
  I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made)=20
  with<BR>&gt; Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; =
I'm not=20
  a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the =
IT<BR>&gt; area,=20
  and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The=20
  engineers,<BR>however,<BR>&gt; tell me that the kit they're using is =
too slow=20
  - to rotate models, for<BR>&gt; example, they need to reduce the =
complexity=20
  first, as otherwise it isn't<BR>&gt; possible in a reasonable amount =
of=20
  time.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; To help solve their problem, I need to be able =
to=20
  compare their current<BR>&gt; equipment with new kit that I'm =
proposing to=20
  buy, as follows;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or =
another=20
  Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,<BR>&gt; if there is any - no other=20
  manufacturers are authorised by the IT<BR>&gt; =
Department)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 2 x=20
  Intel Xeon 3.06GHz<BR>&gt; 2Gb memory<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 40Gb IDE disk 1, =
80Gb=20
  IDE disk 2<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics =
card<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  20" Ultrasharp LCD<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Gigabit network cards (Design =
network runs=20
  at 100/1000)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Does this specification sound well =
balanced for=20
  SolidWorks? The<BR>application<BR>&gt; is vehicle=20
  manufacturing.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Thanks in advance for any =
help.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  --<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Doug Dent<BR>&gt; Cornwall<BR>&gt;=20
  UK<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3A488.84939D80--

0
Devon
11/7/2003 1:07:26 AM
Dale,

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer. The comments yourself and Per
have made have given me some areas to look at in more depth. In particular,
I think I'll look at using a SCSI subsystem instead of IDE, and finance that
by dropping the second processor. I did think about allocating SolidWorks
solely to the second processor, and leaving the first to do the dogsbody
tasks such as handling email.

I do want to run a certified graphics system, and I'd rather spend money on
graphics cards that really do the job rather than try to push a cheaper card
just to save a few quid.

Luckily, the engineers don't do a lot of web surfing. Well, none at all,
really - there isn't an internet connection in their office! (thats another
item on the long list of things to do!)

Regards,

Doug

"Dale Dunn" <daledunnSCRATCH@jamestool.com> wrote in message
> Currently the Opteron 246 systems are the record-setters for the SW
> benchmark. The comparison I saw did not include Xeon processors though.
> Anyway, I don't think Dell or Compaq sell anything but Intel. The Xeon
> porcessor is not significantly faster than the P4 on the SW benchmarks.
> See
> http://www.specbench.org/gpc/apc.data/specapc_sw2001plus_summary.html
>
> Solidworks does not scale at all to two processors. A second processor
> won't be needed unless your users need to do analysis or rendering in a
> separate application in the background, or do other things while waiting
> for SW. Photoworks does use both processors. See if your people use it.

> Make sure the RAM is as fast as possible of course. Stay away from
> Rambus' high latency. Look for dual channel DDR DRAM on the 800 MHz bus.
> In my opinion, SW and Windows are not stable unough to warrant ECC RAM,
> and it's speed penalties. Others may disagree. If the system does not use
> the registered DIMMs, make sure the memory is installed in two and only
> two modules for minimum latency. For more, see the discussion of memory
> here:
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/building_gaming_opteron_2003
> _Part2/page19.asp
>
> Check the task manager's memory usage when your users have a system under
> what they would consider maximum load. Get more memory than that,
> obviously. No rule of thumb has proven effective, since memory usage
> varies so widely with application, even in the same industry. I seem to
> be using 15-20% more memory since moving to Sw 2004. You may want to take
> that into accound if you haven't moved from 2003 yet.
>
> The QuadroFX500 video card should do well. Some might suggest a fast
> GeforceFX with a SoftQuadro patch on the drivers to save money. I'm
> guessing you don't want to run unsupported drivers.
>
> If you have room on the desks, a quality 21" CRT will provide better
> resolution, brightness, etc. for a lot less money.
>
> Money saved on processors and monitors would be best spent on making sure
> the RAM is optimal and a fast disk subsystem. Asseblies and drawings for
> a normal project can run into hundreds of MB on disk. Obviously, the
> faster that dat acan be read into memory, the sooner you people can get
> to work.
>
> Almost anything is going to be lightning fast compared to your existing
> machines. Your users must get a lot of web surfing done while waiting on
> those things.
>
> --
> Dale Dunn
> Design Engineer
> www.jamestool.com

0
Doug
11/7/2003 1:12:25 AM
> I think I'll look at using a SCSI subsystem instead of IDE, and finance
that
> by dropping the second processor.

I was going to say that SCSI will only pay off if people load a LOT of files
every day. I was thinking that it would make sense for someone who is doing
a lot of drawings, but for engineers who are working on a few parts each day
it would be hard to justify. Then I did a quick estimate of time saved. I
think I only spend a few minutes a day, maybe 10 or 15, loading and saving
files. If I could save 5 minutes a day by going to a SCSI drive, 235 days a
year (3 weeks vacation and 11 holidays), that adds up to 19.6 hours. At $100
an hour fully loaded, that's $1960 a year. That'll easily pay the difference
between SCSI and IDE drives. Looking at the Dell prices, Going with a 36GB
(15k rpm) and a 73GB SCSI would add $1079 with cable and card. If you figure
on 2 years before you replace the drives, you will break even with a labor
rate of about $27.50 per hour. I guess I need to ask for SCSI drives next
time we replace our boxes!

>                                                        I did think about
allocating SolidWorks
> solely to the second processor, and leaving the first to do the dogsbody
> tasks such as handling email.

SolidWorks is pretty good about letting go every once in a while so that you
can read email without undue waiting. I've never felt any need to add a
second processor. Other programs, like FEA for example, seem to hang on to
the processor like death, making it pretty much impossible to do anything
else while the analysis is running.

Jerry Steiger
Tripod Data Systems

0
Jerry
11/10/2003 9:43:49 PM
> I was going to say that SCSI will only pay off if people load a LOT of
> files every day. I was thinking that it would make sense for someone
> who is doing a lot of drawings, but for engineers who are working on a
> few parts each day it would be hard to justify. Then I did a quick
> estimate of time saved. I think I only spend a few minutes a day,
> maybe 10 or 15, loading and saving files. If I could save 5 minutes a
> day by going to a SCSI drive, 235 days a year (3 weeks vacation and 11
> holidays), that adds up to 19.6 hours. At $100 an hour fully loaded,
> that's $1960 a year. That'll easily pay the difference between SCSI
> and IDE drives. Looking at the Dell prices, Going with a 36GB (15k
> rpm) and a 73GB SCSI would add $1079 with cable and card. If you
> figure on 2 years before you replace the drives, you will break even
> with a labor rate of about $27.50 per hour. I guess I need to ask for
> SCSI drives next time we replace our boxes!

Interesting analysis. I've been mulling over the idea of using a striped
array of fast SATA drives with a good backup system. I'll have to run
some numbers to see if it's worth it. For the way I work, I think I can
save a lot more than 5 minutes a day over a single ATA drive. On my
current system, it takes me a minimum of 15 minutes to fully load an
average drawing, make a minor change to a model of drawing view, export
new revision .pdf files, and save. Some weeks that happens several times,
and with somebody from the shop on the other end of the phone. So my
savings could double!

--
Dale Dunn
Design Engineer
"per" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<boenq9$dhc$1@yggdrasil.glocalnet.com>...
> You should compare the fully equipped Dell work station with HP (former
> Compaq) workstations when fully equipped, since Dell seem prone to have a
> low starting price, but when you fill it up to your needs the price may well
> have passed an HP machine, equally equipped.
> Others may have something to say about balancing one of two expensive
> processors to serial ATA or SCSI hard drives and/or faster graphics. The old
> Quadro 750 or higher XGL's seems faster in tests than the new (budget model)
> Quadro FX500. But an FX 1000 should be faster still.
> /per
>
> "Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
> > Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
> >
> > I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
> > area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
>  however,
> > tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
> > example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
> > possible in a reasonable amount of time.
> >
> > To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
> > equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
> >
> > Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
> > if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
> > Department)
> >
> > 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
> > 2Gb memory
> >
> > 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
> >
> > nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
> >
> > 20" Ultrasharp LCD
> >
> > Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
> >
> > Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
>  application
> > is vehicle manufacturing.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Doug Dent
> > Cornwall
> > UK

Hey Doug. ..
Heres what I reccomend. . .  (I do IT for automation co. - we use
PRo-E, Mech Desk, Sld Works)

DUAL CHIP IS NICE BUT WITH THE RIGHT COMPONENTS SINGLE WORKS FINE -  I
WILL SAY GO AMD - ARCHITECHTURE WORKS BETTER WITH CAD STUFF.

Drives:
 2 setups
First, Dual 10-20g Scsi Raid 0  or  westernDigital Raptor-raid is a
must.

Second drive:  Small ScSI (dont slave it. . . Run it solo ON pci card)
This second drive would be ONLY for Virtual Mem - make vm static-hide
drive so engineers will not be tempted to use (older 3-5gb scsi will
suffice)

Notice all drive are small-Reason? Smaller drive faster read/write.

Memory: 1g ddr400 will work just fine (again tweak your virtual
memory)

Video Card;

this is the difficult part but definately NO ATI!!!

I would reccomend WILDCAT III (3dlabs) or nividia QuadroFX 2000

Bottom line - Spend at least 1k on your video card. . . ( video cards
have been our single biggest issue in the last 10 years)

also, are you running file server?  if not, do so . . . and let the
engineers store everything on server. Keep CAD stations clean and
lite.

Have FUN!

-Alex

0
info

Solidworks Models, Solidworks 3D Modeling and CAD Design Samples
Offering effective Solidworks 3D Modeling services and samples for various mechanical engineering needs at affordable rates! COS services is a preferred choice of Mechanical engineers, Manufacturers and Electrical contractors for reliable and economical Solidworks 3D Modeling services. We assist you in producing hi- quality, detailed, realistic 3D models of your mechanical product from existing 2D drawing & hand-drawn sketches. Our 3D solidworks modeling service deal with all aspects of mechanical engineering and various phases of project from tender submission, analysis to final...

Affordable SolidWorks drawing services, 3D CAD Solidworks drawings
Offering 3D SolidWorks drawing services for Manufacturing & Engineering projects at affordable price! SolidWorks automates and simplifies generation of all the project documentation required for product design and adds the glue that makes it all stick together. It can reduce product development life cycle time by almost 70% as compared to conventional 2D CAD drafting. With SolidWorks you can produce detailed drawings better, faster and more easily. CAD Outsourcing firm is your offshore CAD partner to get SolidWorks 2D/ 3D drawings in a format of your choice, meeting all your specificatio...

DS SolidWorks Extends Support for SolidWorks 3D CAD Software
Business-Critical Solutions are Now Free to any Subscriber for an Additional Year CONCORD, Mass., USA, May 11, 2009 =96 While many companies are reducing service levels, Dassault Syst=E8mes SolidWorks Corp. (DS SolidWorks) is now extending support for SolidWorks=AE 3D CAD software versions by a full year. This means that DS SolidWorks will directly address and remedy any Subscription Services member=92s confirmed business-critical issue with SolidWorks 2008 through the announcement of SolidWorks 2010 in September =96 in fact, all the way to December 2009. Until now, SolidWorks ended these re...

Solidworks for Beginners
Do you want to learn SOLIDWORKS? Then, follow this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLIDWORKS-VIDEO-TUTORIALS-DVD-BEGINNER_W0QQitemZ290152097938QQihZ019QQcategoryZ3786QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem "You can almost see the circle growing You can almost feel the planets glowing" I've got what I will call one of his "intermediate" DVD's. It's excellent and I highly recommend his products. I really wish he would do an advanced DVD. Jon Banquer San Diego, CA http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/2007/07/spend-a-littleo.html#comment-76366100 On Aug ...

SolidWorks -> SolidWorks Office Justification
Has anyone else had the task of convincing their boss to do this upgrade? If so what arguments did you use? Thanks for your replies. We updated one seat so we would have access to eDrawings Pro to be able to turn on measure capability. It also gave us a seat of animator to use for some of our presentations. WT "WormSign" <wormsign@doon.com> wrote in message news:7z7gi.182004$_c5.29131@attbi_s22... > Has anyone else had the task of convincing their boss to do this upgrade? > If so what arguments did you use? > > Thanks for your replies. > > &...

SolidWorks Student vs. SolidWorks Pro.
Hi, I am going to study Mechanical Engineering next year in Germany. Now I want to use this time meaningfully and starts learn to use Solid Works. I have the decision between Solid Works student (91?) and professional (a lot of more money). Have I all important functions in the study-version (tutorial, eDrawing, etc)? Thank you, Daniel Hemmerling, Cologne Germany P.S. Found right writing errors may be kept Hello towarts you Daniel, Get for youself the version for the student if you only are for to learn. For paying too much to simple learn, the profesion version you are ...

How to measure a native SolidWorks part without SolidWorks ????
Hi, With eDrawings 2005 (Standart, not the Professional version) it was possible to measure a part there was saved with the "save edrawings data in the document" option. Now, in SW 2006 this option is suppressed for obscur reasons, but I have lost the marvelous measure function !!! Could you help me ? Regards Nicolas "Nicolas Rubin" <nru@e-systems.ch> a �crit dans le message de news: 443cb07c$1_6@news.bluewin.ch... > Hi, > > With eDrawings 2005 (Standart, not the Professional version) it was > possible to measure a part there was saved with the &...

The of solidworks
can any one in uk tell me the cost of a solidworks seat thanks "Adrian Brooks" <a_e_brooks@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:NrKdnSDfQog5oRDaRVnyjwA@bt.com... > can any one in uk tell me the cost of a solidworks seat > thanks > If you buy a bundle of network licenses you might get them discounted toGBP3200. For a fixed-node Classic (basic) license its around 4000. Office (+ toolbox, photoworks, featureworks) is around 4800 and Pro (+PDMWorks) is 5500. John H ...

SolidWorks ?
.. I am trying to selct an assembly which is a conveyor . Then select another assembly which is an idler , and place them equisdistant on conveyor. I was trying to pick a start and end point and have Solidworks calculate distance and then place the assemblys automatically, equaly placed on the original assembly. I was trying to do this with vb.net Or .macros or combination. Do you have any ideas or someplace you could point me toward. Look into advanced mates, "Symmetry" and "Width". Also, you could use a sketch in the assembly to lay out locations and then mate to the sk...

Convertion Solidwork 2005 --> solidwork 2004 ? ?
witch soft to convert Solidwork 2005 to 2004 ? tanks Fabrice None. Open in SW2005, export as parasolid. Long time rant... "Fabrice COSTA" <fabricecosta@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:d1onbr$avl$1@s1.news.oleane.net... > witch soft to convert Solidwork 2005 to 2004 ? > > tanks > > Fabrice > > ...

CAD/ SolidWorks/ Contract/ IN
Tom Gugger Independent Recruiter tgugger@bex.net CAD/ Solid Works/ Contract/ Elkhart IN We have an immediate start for an experienced person with solid CAD experience using SolidWorks. Experience must be recent and Not on an old version. The site is in Elkhart Indiana, all work is done on sight, and the rate is $42hr. There are no expenses or benefits. The contract should last until summer. Since there are no expenses, local and regional people are preferred. Pay will be by 1099 or C to C. We would like a Monday start date. Must be US Citizen or Greencard, No...

SolidWorks 2004 vs. SolidWorks 2005 performance comparsion
Hi, There is an interesting performance comparsion between SolidWorks 2004 and SolidWorks 2005 available for download. Performance test shows that there is no significant changes happened in SolidWorks capability to handle large assemblies. Results can be downloaded from: http://www.cadfaster.com/downloads/performance_test_results.pdf Test datasets and other testing material such as macros are also freely downloadable from www.cadfaster.com/odownloads.html. So if you don't belive your eyes you can reproduce test results in your own workstation. :) Yours, - Janne Has anyone tried this...

Inspirtech.com offers SolidWorks Education as a SolidWorks Partner
SolidWorks training rich with examples and exercises geared for new SolidWorks users Tehachapi, CA March 19th, 2008 - Inspirtech.com announces its acceptance into the SolidWorks partner Program. "Teaching a world class MCAD program application like SolidWorks, is made easier when lessons are taught slowly and distinctively. Perhaps no system of learning is perfect but the lesson plans that I have tried are as close as you might ever get to that." -Richard Williams MCAD review Lessons at Inspirtech are delivered in a unique hybrid approach to highlight the advantages of both down...

SOLIDWORKS V2003 SP4 FOR 9xNT2K, TOOLBOX FOR SOLIDWORKS V2003 SP4,
SOLIDWORKS V2003 SP4 FOR 9xNT2K, TOOLBOX FOR SOLIDWORKS V2003 SP4, for more .nfo please send e-mail euclid@ath.forthnet.gr - today (30/July/2003) - 380 days left for the ATHENS 2004 SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES (13-29/Aug/2004) ...

Web resources about - Hardware spec for SolidWorks beginner - comp.cad.solidworks

SolidWorks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SolidWorks is solid modeling CAD ( computer-aided design ) software that runs on Microsoft Windows and is produced by Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks ...

3D CAD Design Software SolidWorks
Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corp. develops and markets 3D CAD design software, analysis software, and product data management software. SolidWorks ...

Solidworks render for a businesslike calculator - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Made in Solidworks 2008, rendered with Photoworks. Assignment for the Industrial Design faculty @ TU Delft.

SolidWorks World 2013: Day 1 General Session - YouTube
Today was a busy day in the general session. Watch the video below to see everything that happened, including SolidWorks CEO Bertrand Sicot's ...

Dassault Systèmes releases Solidworks 2014
Design software vendor, Dassault Systèmes, has released the latest version of its visual design portfolio, Solidworks 2014.

DS SolidWorks Extends Support for SolidWorks 3D CAD Software - Business Wire
While many companies are reducing service levels, Dassault Syst&amp;#232;mes SolidWorks Corp. (DS SolidWorks) is now extending support for SolidWorks& ...

SolidWorks Sustainability Design Software Helps in Understanding Environmental Impacts
SolidWorks Sustainability helps understand environmental impacts for a project Those rare ideas for making something that’s newer and better, ...

SolidWorks talks about what’s next in 3D design
... field, Network World Editor in Chief John Dix caught up with Aaron Kelly, VP of User Experience & Product Portfolio Management at SolidWorks, ...

Hub Folding Box Company is seeking a Solidworks Operator/Industrial Designer in Mansfield, United Kingdom ...
Solidworks Operator/Industrial Designer Hub Folding Box Company Mansfield, United Kingdom Hub Folding Box is seeking an industrial designer ...

SolidWorks "Hands-On" 3D Skills Demo - GeekWire
MLC CAD Systems – Houston offers a free hands-on SolidWorks design clinic on basic 3D design techniques, design validation, and simulation. Get ...