Hardware spec for SolidWorks beginner

I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.

I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers, however,
tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
possible in a reasonable amount of time.

To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;

Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
Department)

2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
2Gb memory

40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2

nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card

20" Ultrasharp LCD

Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)

Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The application
is vehicle manufacturing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--

Doug Dent
Cornwall

0
Doug
11/6/2003 10:20:39 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14465 articles. 56 followers. Post Follow

You should compare the fully equipped Dell work station with HP (former
Compaq) workstations when fully equipped, since Dell seem prone to have a
low starting price, but when you fill it up to your needs the price may well
have passed an HP machine, equally equipped.
Others may have something to say about balancing one of two expensive
processors to serial ATA or SCSI hard drives and/or faster graphics. The old
Quadro 750 or higher XGL's seems faster in tests than the new (budget model)
Quadro FX500. But an FX 1000 should be faster still.
/per

"Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
> Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
>
> I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
> area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
however,
> tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
> example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
> possible in a reasonable amount of time.
>
> To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
> equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
>
> Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
> if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
> Department)
>
> 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
> 2Gb memory
>
> 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
>
> nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
>
> 20" Ultrasharp LCD
>
> Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
>
> Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
application
> is vehicle manufacturing.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
>
> Doug Dent
> Cornwall
> UK

0
per
11/7/2003 12:14:25 AM
Currently the Opteron 246 systems are the record-setters for the SW
benchmark. The comparison I saw did not include Xeon processors though.
Anyway, I don't think Dell or Compaq sell anything but Intel. The Xeon
porcessor is not significantly faster than the P4 on the SW benchmarks.
See
http://www.specbench.org/gpc/apc.data/specapc_sw2001plus_summary.html

Solidworks does not scale at all to two processors. A second processor
won't be needed unless your users need to do analysis or rendering in a
separate application in the background, or do other things while waiting
for SW. Photoworks does use both processors. See if your people use it.

Make sure the RAM is as fast as possible of course. Stay away from
Rambus' high latency. Look for dual channel DDR DRAM on the 800 MHz bus.
In my opinion, SW and Windows are not stable unough to warrant ECC RAM,
and it's speed penalties. Others may disagree. If the system does not use
the registered DIMMs, make sure the memory is installed in two and only
two modules for minimum latency. For more, see the discussion of memory
here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/building_gaming_opteron_2003
_Part2/page19.asp

Check the task manager's memory usage when your users have a system under
what they would consider maximum load. Get more memory than that,
obviously. No rule of thumb has proven effective, since memory usage
varies so widely with application, even in the same industry. I seem to
be using 15-20% more memory since moving to Sw 2004. You may want to take
that into accound if you haven't moved from 2003 yet.

The QuadroFX500 video card should do well. Some might suggest a fast
GeforceFX with a SoftQuadro patch on the drivers to save money. I'm
guessing you don't want to run unsupported drivers.

If you have room on the desks, a quality 21" CRT will provide better
resolution, brightness, etc. for a lot less money.

Money saved on processors and monitors would be best spent on making sure
the RAM is optimal and a fast disk subsystem. Asseblies and drawings for
a normal project can run into hundreds of MB on disk. Obviously, the
faster that dat acan be read into memory, the sooner you people can get
to work.

Almost anything is going to be lightning fast compared to your existing
machines. Your users must get a lot of web surfing done while waiting on
those things.

--
Dale Dunn
Design Engineer

The overall specs look pretty good. You may want to kick up the graphics a
notch to an FX10000 though.

HP doesn't market a CAD worthy machine under the Compaq name anymore. All
the good stuff is HP.

Dell offers quit a few options as well.

One thing you do need to know is that a well spec'd "white box" machine will
out perform the best from HP and Dell for allot less $. It will be just as
reliable too.

The big boys compete on price, so they tend to go the cheapest route. Mother
board makers like Supermicro, Asus, and Gigabyte, compete on performance
(IO). All three of these companies use first quality components. We have
several Supermicro servers that have been running day and night for years
with zero downtime. Our workstations are Supermicro and ASUS, again zero
problems, and very fast.

Regards

Mark

"Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> wrote in message
> I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
> Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
>
> I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
> area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
however,
> tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
> example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
> possible in a reasonable amount of time.
>
> To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
> equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
>
> Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
> if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
> Department)
>
> 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
> 2Gb memory
>
> 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
>
> nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
>
> 20" Ultrasharp LCD
>
> Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
>
> Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
application
> is vehicle manufacturing.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
>
> Doug Dent
> Cornwall
> UK

0
MM

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3A488.84939D80

I agree with the above posts.

Also, use Windows XP Pro.

Best Regards,
Devon T. Sowell
www.3-ddesignsolutions.com

  "MM" <poundsandspammers@biteme.net> wrote in message =
  Doug,

  The overall specs look pretty good. You may want to kick up the =
graphics a
  notch to an FX10000 though.

  HP doesn't market a CAD worthy machine under the Compaq name anymore. =
All
  the good stuff is HP.

  Dell offers quit a few options as well.

  One thing you do need to know is that a well spec'd "white box" =
machine will
  out perform the best from HP and Dell for allot less $. It will be =
just as
  reliable too.

  The big boys compete on price, so they tend to go the cheapest route. =
Mother
  board makers like Supermicro, Asus, and Gigabyte, compete on =
performance
  (IO). All three of these companies use first quality components. We =
have
  several Supermicro servers that have been running day and night for =
years
  with zero downtime. Our workstations are Supermicro and ASUS, again =
zero
  problems, and very fast.

  Regards

  Mark

  "Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> wrote in message
  > I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) =
with
  > Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
  >
  > I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out =
the IT
  > area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
  however,
  > tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, =
for
  > example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it =
isn't
  > possible in a reasonable amount of time.
  >
  > To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their =
current
  > equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
  >
  > Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq =
equivalent,
  > if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
  > Department)
  >
  > 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
  > 2Gb memory
  >
  > 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
  >
  > nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
  >
  > 20" Ultrasharp LCD
  >
  > Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
  >
  > Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
  application
  > is vehicle manufacturing.
  >
  > Thanks in advance for any help.
  >
  > --
  >
  > Doug Dent
  > Cornwall
  > UK

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3A488.84939D80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I agree with the above =
posts.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also, use Windows XP Pro.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Devon T. Sowell</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.3-ddesignsolutions.com">www.3-ddesignsolutions.com</A>=
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"MM" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:poundsandspammers@biteme.net">poundsandspammers@biteme.net=
</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:L6Cqb.24828$_J5.2882@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com">news:L6Cqb.=
24828$_J5.2882@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com</A>...</DIV>Doug,<BR><BR>The=20
  overall specs look pretty good. You may want to kick up the graphics=20
  a<BR>notch to an FX10000 though.<BR><BR>HP doesn't market a CAD worthy =
machine=20
  under the Compaq name anymore. All<BR>the good stuff is =
HP.<BR><BR>Dell offers=20
  quit a few options as well.<BR><BR>One thing you do need to know is =
that a=20
  well spec'd "white box" machine will<BR>out perform the best from HP =
and Dell=20
  for allot less $. It will be just as<BR>reliable too.<BR><BR>The big =
boys=20
  compete on price, so they tend to go the cheapest route. =
Mother<BR>board=20
  makers like Supermicro, Asus, and Gigabyte, compete on =
performance<BR>(IO).=20
  All three of these companies use first quality components. We =
have<BR>several=20
  Supermicro servers that have been running day and night for =
years<BR>with zero=20
  downtime. Our workstations are Supermicro and ASUS, again =
zero<BR>problems,=20
  and very fast.<BR><BR>Regards<BR><BR>Mark<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>"Doug =
Dent"=20
  &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com">noemailrequired@nospam=
required.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"news:boehfo$gob$1$830fa795@news.demon.co.uk">news:boehfo$gob$1$83=
0fa795@news.demon.co.uk</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
  I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made)=20
  with<BR>&gt; Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; =
I'm not=20
  a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the =
IT<BR>&gt; area,=20
  and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The=20
  engineers,<BR>however,<BR>&gt; tell me that the kit they're using is =
too slow=20
  - to rotate models, for<BR>&gt; example, they need to reduce the =
complexity=20
  first, as otherwise it isn't<BR>&gt; possible in a reasonable amount =
of=20
  time.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; To help solve their problem, I need to be able =
to=20
  compare their current<BR>&gt; equipment with new kit that I'm =
proposing to=20
  buy, as follows;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or =
another=20
  Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,<BR>&gt; if there is any - no other=20
  manufacturers are authorised by the IT<BR>&gt; =
Department)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 2 x=20
  Intel Xeon 3.06GHz<BR>&gt; 2Gb memory<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 40Gb IDE disk 1, =
80Gb=20
  IDE disk 2<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics =
card<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  20" Ultrasharp LCD<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Gigabit network cards (Design =
network runs=20
  at 100/1000)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Does this specification sound well =
balanced for=20
  SolidWorks? The<BR>application<BR>&gt; is vehicle=20
  manufacturing.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Thanks in advance for any =
help.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  --<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Doug Dent<BR>&gt; Cornwall<BR>&gt;=20
  UK<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3A488.84939D80--

0
Devon
11/7/2003 1:07:26 AM
Dale,

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer. The comments yourself and Per
have made have given me some areas to look at in more depth. In particular,
I think I'll look at using a SCSI subsystem instead of IDE, and finance that
by dropping the second processor. I did think about allocating SolidWorks
solely to the second processor, and leaving the first to do the dogsbody
tasks such as handling email.

I do want to run a certified graphics system, and I'd rather spend money on
graphics cards that really do the job rather than try to push a cheaper card
just to save a few quid.

Luckily, the engineers don't do a lot of web surfing. Well, none at all,
really - there isn't an internet connection in their office! (thats another
item on the long list of things to do!)

Regards,

Doug

"Dale Dunn" <daledunnSCRATCH@jamestool.com> wrote in message
> Currently the Opteron 246 systems are the record-setters for the SW
> benchmark. The comparison I saw did not include Xeon processors though.
> Anyway, I don't think Dell or Compaq sell anything but Intel. The Xeon
> porcessor is not significantly faster than the P4 on the SW benchmarks.
> See
> http://www.specbench.org/gpc/apc.data/specapc_sw2001plus_summary.html
>
> Solidworks does not scale at all to two processors. A second processor
> won't be needed unless your users need to do analysis or rendering in a
> separate application in the background, or do other things while waiting
> for SW. Photoworks does use both processors. See if your people use it.

> Make sure the RAM is as fast as possible of course. Stay away from
> Rambus' high latency. Look for dual channel DDR DRAM on the 800 MHz bus.
> In my opinion, SW and Windows are not stable unough to warrant ECC RAM,
> and it's speed penalties. Others may disagree. If the system does not use
> the registered DIMMs, make sure the memory is installed in two and only
> two modules for minimum latency. For more, see the discussion of memory
> here:
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/building_gaming_opteron_2003
> _Part2/page19.asp
>
> Check the task manager's memory usage when your users have a system under
> what they would consider maximum load. Get more memory than that,
> obviously. No rule of thumb has proven effective, since memory usage
> varies so widely with application, even in the same industry. I seem to
> be using 15-20% more memory since moving to Sw 2004. You may want to take
> that into accound if you haven't moved from 2003 yet.
>
> The QuadroFX500 video card should do well. Some might suggest a fast
> GeforceFX with a SoftQuadro patch on the drivers to save money. I'm
> guessing you don't want to run unsupported drivers.
>
> If you have room on the desks, a quality 21" CRT will provide better
> resolution, brightness, etc. for a lot less money.
>
> Money saved on processors and monitors would be best spent on making sure
> the RAM is optimal and a fast disk subsystem. Asseblies and drawings for
> a normal project can run into hundreds of MB on disk. Obviously, the
> faster that dat acan be read into memory, the sooner you people can get
> to work.
>
> Almost anything is going to be lightning fast compared to your existing
> machines. Your users must get a lot of web surfing done while waiting on
> those things.
>
> --
> Dale Dunn
> Design Engineer
> www.jamestool.com

0
Doug
11/7/2003 1:12:25 AM
> I think I'll look at using a SCSI subsystem instead of IDE, and finance
that
> by dropping the second processor.

I was going to say that SCSI will only pay off if people load a LOT of files
every day. I was thinking that it would make sense for someone who is doing
a lot of drawings, but for engineers who are working on a few parts each day
it would be hard to justify. Then I did a quick estimate of time saved. I
think I only spend a few minutes a day, maybe 10 or 15, loading and saving
files. If I could save 5 minutes a day by going to a SCSI drive, 235 days a
year (3 weeks vacation and 11 holidays), that adds up to 19.6 hours. At $100
an hour fully loaded, that's $1960 a year. That'll easily pay the difference
between SCSI and IDE drives. Looking at the Dell prices, Going with a 36GB
(15k rpm) and a 73GB SCSI would add $1079 with cable and card. If you figure
on 2 years before you replace the drives, you will break even with a labor
rate of about $27.50 per hour. I guess I need to ask for SCSI drives next
time we replace our boxes!

>                                                        I did think about
allocating SolidWorks
> solely to the second processor, and leaving the first to do the dogsbody
> tasks such as handling email.

SolidWorks is pretty good about letting go every once in a while so that you
can read email without undue waiting. I've never felt any need to add a
second processor. Other programs, like FEA for example, seem to hang on to
the processor like death, making it pretty much impossible to do anything
else while the analysis is running.

Jerry Steiger
Tripod Data Systems

0
Jerry
11/10/2003 9:43:49 PM
> I was going to say that SCSI will only pay off if people load a LOT of
> files every day. I was thinking that it would make sense for someone
> who is doing a lot of drawings, but for engineers who are working on a
> few parts each day it would be hard to justify. Then I did a quick
> estimate of time saved. I think I only spend a few minutes a day,
> maybe 10 or 15, loading and saving files. If I could save 5 minutes a
> day by going to a SCSI drive, 235 days a year (3 weeks vacation and 11
> holidays), that adds up to 19.6 hours. At $100 an hour fully loaded,
> that's $1960 a year. That'll easily pay the difference between SCSI
> and IDE drives. Looking at the Dell prices, Going with a 36GB (15k
> rpm) and a 73GB SCSI would add $1079 with cable and card. If you
> figure on 2 years before you replace the drives, you will break even
> with a labor rate of about $27.50 per hour. I guess I need to ask for
> SCSI drives next time we replace our boxes!

Interesting analysis. I've been mulling over the idea of using a striped
array of fast SATA drives with a good backup system. I'll have to run
some numbers to see if it's worth it. For the way I work, I think I can
save a lot more than 5 minutes a day over a single ATA drive. On my
current system, it takes me a minimum of 15 minutes to fully load an
average drawing, make a minor change to a model of drawing view, export
new revision .pdf files, and save. Some weeks that happens several times,
and with somebody from the shop on the other end of the phone. So my
savings could double!

--
Dale Dunn
Design Engineer
"per" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<boenq9$dhc$1@yggdrasil.glocalnet.com>...
> You should compare the fully equipped Dell work station with HP (former
> Compaq) workstations when fully equipped, since Dell seem prone to have a
> low starting price, but when you fill it up to your needs the price may well
> have passed an HP machine, equally equipped.
> Others may have something to say about balancing one of two expensive
> processors to serial ATA or SCSI hard drives and/or faster graphics. The old
> Quadro 750 or higher XGL's seems faster in tests than the new (budget model)
> Quadro FX500. But an FX 1000 should be faster still.
> /per
>
> "Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
> > Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
> >
> > I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
> > area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
>  however,
> > tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
> > example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
> > possible in a reasonable amount of time.
> >
> > To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
> > equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
> >
> > Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
> > if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
> > Department)
> >
> > 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
> > 2Gb memory
> >
> > 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
> >
> > nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
> >
> > 20" Ultrasharp LCD
> >
> > Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
> >
> > Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
>  application
> > is vehicle manufacturing.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Doug Dent
> > Cornwall
> > UK

Hey Doug. ..
Heres what I reccomend. . .  (I do IT for automation co. - we use
PRo-E, Mech Desk, Sld Works)

DUAL CHIP IS NICE BUT WITH THE RIGHT COMPONENTS SINGLE WORKS FINE -  I
WILL SAY GO AMD - ARCHITECHTURE WORKS BETTER WITH CAD STUFF.

Drives:
 2 setups
First, Dual 10-20g Scsi Raid 0  or  westernDigital Raptor-raid is a
must.

Second drive:  Small ScSI (dont slave it. . . Run it solo ON pci card)
This second drive would be ONLY for Virtual Mem - make vm static-hide
drive so engineers will not be tempted to use (older 3-5gb scsi will
suffice)

Notice all drive are small-Reason? Smaller drive faster read/write.

Memory: 1g ddr400 will work just fine (again tweak your virtual
memory)

Video Card;

this is the difficult part but definately NO ATI!!!

I would reccomend WILDCAT III (3dlabs) or nividia QuadroFX 2000

Bottom line - Spend at least 1k on your video card. . . ( video cards
have been our single biggest issue in the last 10 years)

also, are you running file server?  if not, do so . . . and let the
engineers store everything on server. Keep CAD stations clean and
lite.

Have FUN!

-Alex

0
info

Hardware Recommendation
We are currently running our Credit Card Authorization host in a Intel based Dell 6600 platform, SCO Unix 5.0.6 with Informix 7.3x. We have been advised by the vendor to upgrade to Linux , Informix 10.x, Intel platform (32bit). Could you please share your thoughts on the best available intel platforms supporting linux/Informix 10.x. Currently the application and Database are running on one server. We have also been recommended to split the application & Database into two servers. ( We retain the application on a Intel/Linux/ platform and move the database to Non Intel based platf...

vacancy's for hardware&networking jobs apply resume
http://jobsinformation-jobs.blogspot.com/2009/06/sap-jobs.html http://jobsinformation-jobs.blogspot.com/2009/06/dotnet-jobs.html http://jobsinformation-jobs.blogspot.com/2009/06/linux-jobs.html http://jobsinformation-jobs.blogspot.com/2009/06/mcse-jobs.html http://jobsinformation-jobs.blogspot.com/2009/06/c-jobs.html http://jobsinformation-jobs.blogspot.com/2009/06/networking-jobs.html http://jobsinformation-jobs.blogspot.com/2009/06/oracle-jobs.html http://jobsinformation-jobs.blogspot.com/2009/06/java-jobs.html ...

New Forum site about Atari (software/hardware)
Check it out on http://atari.coazter.com Free registration, just username and email address. no reg needed for just browsing the forum. in article Pine.SGI.4.10.10308200130550.16581-100000@www.coazter.com, Frederic Fouche at g213778@coazter.com wrote on 8/20/03 2:31 AM: > > Check it out on http://atari.coazter.com > > Free registration, just username and email address. > no reg needed for just browsing the forum. I'll check it out. Thanks for the support! -- FreeMiNT http://sparemint.atariforge.net/sparemint/ [The Future is now!] Team Atari http://setiathome....

HP Visualize C240 Specs Needed
Hello, I am trying to do some planning for a new cooling system in our server room. I have an old HP Visualize C240 RISC-based workstation that lives in this room. I am trying to find some documentation of the heat dissipation for this unit, but not having much luck. Anyone know much about these or have any documentation around? I would really appreciate the help! Thanks, Andy <azehrpdc@gmail.com> wrote: > I am trying to do some planning for a new cooling system in our server > room. I have an old HP Visualize C240 RISC-based workstation that > lives in this room. I am tryin...

Hardware query from the shell
Hi, I'm a Linux user who's just recently migrated to OSX. When I was contemplating the big switch, I remember seeing an article with a shell command to list the status of all the internal fans on a powerbookk. Now that I have my powerbook, I can't seem to find the article, so can anyone tell me the name of the shell utility to query the status of internal hardware? Also, I can't seem to find much documentation on darwin specific command line utilities in general. Can anyone recommend a good website summarizing them? Anyway, I'm loving this new machine and having a great ti...

Web server hardware design with SQL back-end
Hi, Still in the design process of a Windows 2003 web server with a SQL backend. Expecting to have about 2000 visitors a day accessing lists and search queries on a 200-300 MB db. This server will be collocated in a datacenter. I have a few scenarios that I would appreciate in getting some comments/criticism on: Scenario 1: Box 1, SBS 2003 Premium (with SQL 2000), 2GB RAM, Raid 5 HD Based on the SBS faq, as long as visitors are not Windows authenticated, an additional SQL Internet license is not required. My concern with this scenario is (correct me if I'm wrong) lack of scalability and ...

hardware graphics issue while booting (splash screen)
Hello! I am not sure whether this is a hardware issue or not: Yesterday I built my new PC (Asus barebone w. AMD X2 4600+, nvidia crush C51PV chipset w. nvidia graphics 6150). I installed openSuSE 10.2 which I used before on my old system. openSuSE uses a splash screen graphics during boot time of the system (you can press ESC and get the boot messages but there is still graphical stuff on the screen ...). During the installation the x server is not running, and the graphical installation routine obviously uses the same graphics as the boot routine (framebuffer graphics or so? I don't kno...

ESX hardware configuration
Hello, At work we found an old Dell PowerEdge server with 4GB of RAM and 2x70 GB disks. I want to install several Windows VMs for testing purposes. I know Windows on a stand alone system wants 1+ GB of RAM. My questions now are: 1. How many Windows VMs can I run simutaneously on this hardware? 2. How much memory should I allocate to the Windows VM during creation? Windows will say minimum 2GB for W2K3 Server. Is that how much memory I got to allocate for the VM as well? 3. For a $3K budget, what Dell server would be ideal for a ESX server that will last for couple of year...

Help Understanding Sun Hardware
Sorry, please help a newbie out. I am puchasing some hard drives on ebay for a my Ultra 80 which based on the workbook can take an XOption X5242A. Each one I find online isn't very specific but some have additional sets of numbers such as 595-5496 which is the one I was planning on getting. Do the seven digit codes mean anything or will any 5242 fit my system? yours truly in debt, -=Rogue=- On Thu, 2 Aug 2006, google@bytemeinc.com wrote: > Sorry, please help a newbie out. > > I am puchasing some hard drives on ebay for a my Ultra 80 which based > on the workbook can tak...

Hardware requirement for hardware in the loop
I want to setup a laboratory for general hardware in the loop simulation. I developed xpc target and real time workshop. I want to order some hardware and electronic boards for interfacing. what is the most general interfaces cards and I/O.(A/D,D/A, CAN controller .......) which type and which marks is better to buy????? which cards you used in your company or Institue??? Is there any general rack for hardware in the loop? Thanks On Feb 25, 9:39 pm, omidamir2...@gmail.com wrote: > I want to setup a laboratory for general hardware in the loop > simulation. > I developed xpc targ...

3rd party hardware support
Everyone, What are my options for 3rd party HP3k hardware support in the Kansas City, Overland Park area? Doe anyone have any good experiences/contacts? Feel free to contact me off-line. Regards, -Craig Lalley EchoTech, Inc. --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Find out what made the Top Yahoo! Searches of 2003 * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

File::Spec equivalent?
Dumb question: does Ruby have an equivalent to the Perl File::Spec module (maybe as a built-in part of the File class like Java, instead of in a separate module) for building and manipulating pathnames portably? On Aug 10, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Mark J.Reed wrote: > Dumb question: does Ruby have an equivalent to the Perl File::Spec > module > (maybe as a built-in part of the File class like Java, instead of in > a separate module) for building and manipulating pathnames portably? I can't remember File::Spec right off the top of my head, but does the standard pathname module...

hardware upgrade.
is upgrding my gaming ''hadware'' will improve my gaming performance and stats?? i was wondering to go for a wireless keyboard and optical wireless mouse (logitecth or Microsoft) as they are on sale at 50% down price. thanx Depending on what you currently have an optical mouse could help. I don't think a wireless keyboard will help, and I think the technology is decent enough not to hinder. lupi "Thrall" <xXx_sion21veerage102@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bg4prp$l7o$1@news.intnet.mu... > is upgrding my gaming ''h...

Hardware Question
I need to purchase a fairly high-end computer ($10K - $40K) for doing academic research. The immediate goal is to do mathematical modeling with SAS. On multi-processor IBM server these models can take days to compute. The datasets are not that huge, but the task is quite CPU intensive. I'm in the market for a UNIX/LINUX SMP box running either a Sun SPARC or Intel architecture, but have no idea where to turn for objective advice. If anyone has specific suggestions it would be appreciated, even if it is to suggest better newsgroups to post to then this one. Thanks. Just my opinion, b...

DLL errors: The hardware, the hardware, it's ALWAYS the hardware...
As John stated in the DLL Hell thread: "Really? How many of those links are cases of "DLL Hell'? Thats where a program replaces an existing Windows DLL with its version. All these are a bunch of links where a DLL is missing or corrupted. Its a pretty safe bet that 10.3 also will suffer from missing or corrupted files due to disk problems. As evidenced by the frequent need to trash certain programs preference files." This is the age-old "cheap unreliable hardware" argument that John always runs back to when cornered about Windows' shortcomings....

Re: SAS server hardware upgrade
Jude: I agree with the MD's recommendation that you limit the number of processors. Much depends on the number of users competing concurrently for CPU processing. A MS Windows SAS server configuration usually works well when users are RSUBMIT'ing or CONNECT'ing from local MS Windows SAS installations, or are using telnet connections, to launch processes that access data in large datasets on the server. Disk configuration in that situation may have more impact on server performance than CPU speed. A single processor running under XP can handle a surprising work load if connected to ...

beginners YAML question
------=_Part_5_29069532.1125451108547 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline I needed a class that acted like a container, as well as doing other things= =20 I tried making it a subclass of Array, instead of adding an Array member. I= t=20 was working fine until I tried to reload it from YAML. Here is some code=20 that reproduces the problem. It seems like the Size parameter is not being= =20 output in the YAML string.=20 - Why doesn't it work? - How can I make it work? ---- require 'Yaml' class Box&l...

hardware
hardware information 1 http://alljobsbasics.blogspot.com/2009/05/hardware-information-1.html hardware information 2 http://alljobsbasics.blogspot.com/2009/05/hardware-information-2.html hardware information 3 http://alljobsbasics.blogspot.com/2009/05/hardware-information-3.html harware information 4 http://alljobsbasics.blogspot.com/2009/05/harware-information-4.html hardware information 5 http://alljobsbasics.blogspot.com/2009/05/hardware-information-5.html hardware information 6 http://alljobsbasics.blogspot.com/2009/05/hardware-information-6.html hardware information 7 http://alljobsbasics....

Hardware? Software? Problem
Hi folks, I've got a U60 (2x450 1Gb RAM) running 2.7 that seems to have a developed a problem. I came in and the machine was absolutely frozen. stop-A didnt work either. Subsequently I cycled the U60 and the ext disks. I had to do this three or 4 times. Each time during the boot up process the U60 would get stuck in a different place . For example one time it died during the fsck. I did a boot -rs one time and it came up fine in single-user, command line mode. So I tried mounting the partitions one at a time. THat was going well, until I needed to cat /etc/vfstab, to remind myself of so...

CCNP lab
Good day all, I have a Cisco 2611 and 2612 router. I am trying to figure out the best way to simulate a WAN connection. Would it be best to purchase two WIC-1T network interface modules or purchase two WIC-1DSU-T1's. Could you also please tell me the type of cable I would need to purchase? Thank you so much for your time. On Apr 7, 12:42 pm, "Sian" <sian...@gmail.com> wrote: > Good day all, > > I have a Cisco 2611 and 2612 router. I am trying to figure out the > best way to simulate a WAN connection. Would it be best to purchase > two WIC-1T network inter...

Does WSGI offer anything for web *beginner*?
I love idea of WSGI and hope it succeeds. It seems to be helpful for person tempted to write his own framework.....they can now just mix and match existing components with WSGI //instead//. I not sure what WSGI offers the web beginner. Aren't they still better off learning an existing web framework first before attacking WSGI? I suppose ideally everyone would just learn WSGI and then never have to learn details of any //specific// framework. But that would require impeccable maturity and documentation on WSGI and we are not there yet right? Please advise. Chris seberino@spawar.nav...

Name Brand Hardware for 64-Bit FreeBSD?
Is there any name brand computer that uses AMD 64-bit processors that comes in at least a quad-CPU configuration and has a PCI-X or PCI Express I/O bus? I would ideally prefer equipment that is one generation old so that there might be some chance of finding it surplus at a very good price. Our application is a 5 TB transaction processing database with some computational tasks, running on 64-bit FreeBSD. -- Will ...

Computer hardware and equipment
If you looking for computer hardware... http://comp-hardware.blogspot.com/ In message <1192210488.991845.96480@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com> draganw <draganve@gmail.com> wrote: > If you looking for computer hardware... > http://comp-hardware.blogspot.com/ which leads to a page with the words: COMPUTER HARDWARE Memory, motherboards, CPU-s, keyboards, mouse... Subscribe to: Post and a picture of two attractive girls with Macs. No relevant working links (tons of JS I suspect) -- Jess Iyonix Hotmail is my spam trap use this for reply: mailto...

Spec Int figures for ARM and Xscale.
I've seen plenty of MIPS numbers for ARM, but I'm looking for SpecInt95 SpecFP95 and SpecInt2000 for ARM7TDMI ARM9xxx MPUs, especially for the LPC2000 and atmel microcontrollers. Information for the Xscale chips would be good too. Google hasnt yielded much except a few confusing student papers. Where can I look? "ghazanhaider" <ghazan.haider@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158084600.791662.75790@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > I've seen plenty of MIPS numbers for ARM, but I'm looking for SpecInt95 > SpecFP95 and SpecInt2000 for ARM7TDMI ARM9xxx MPUs...