Hardware spec for SolidWorks beginner

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.

I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers, however,
tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
possible in a reasonable amount of time.

To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;

Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
Department)

2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
2Gb memory

40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2

nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card

20" Ultrasharp LCD

Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)

Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The application
is vehicle manufacturing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--

Doug Dent
Cornwall

0
Reply Doug 11/6/2003 10:20:39 PM

See related articles to this posting

You should compare the fully equipped Dell work station with HP (former
Compaq) workstations when fully equipped, since Dell seem prone to have a
low starting price, but when you fill it up to your needs the price may well
have passed an HP machine, equally equipped.
Others may have something to say about balancing one of two expensive
processors to serial ATA or SCSI hard drives and/or faster graphics. The old
Quadro 750 or higher XGL's seems faster in tests than the new (budget model)
Quadro FX500. But an FX 1000 should be faster still.
/per

"Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
> Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
>
> I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
> area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
however,
> tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
> example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
> possible in a reasonable amount of time.
>
> To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
> equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
>
> Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
> if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
> Department)
>
> 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
> 2Gb memory
>
> 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
>
> nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
>
> 20" Ultrasharp LCD
>
> Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
>
> Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
application
> is vehicle manufacturing.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
>
> Doug Dent
> Cornwall
> UK

0
Reply per 11/7/2003 12:14:25 AM

Currently the Opteron 246 systems are the record-setters for the SW
benchmark. The comparison I saw did not include Xeon processors though.
Anyway, I don't think Dell or Compaq sell anything but Intel. The Xeon
porcessor is not significantly faster than the P4 on the SW benchmarks.
See
http://www.specbench.org/gpc/apc.data/specapc_sw2001plus_summary.html

Solidworks does not scale at all to two processors. A second processor
won't be needed unless your users need to do analysis or rendering in a
separate application in the background, or do other things while waiting
for SW. Photoworks does use both processors. See if your people use it.

Make sure the RAM is as fast as possible of course. Stay away from
Rambus' high latency. Look for dual channel DDR DRAM on the 800 MHz bus.
In my opinion, SW and Windows are not stable unough to warrant ECC RAM,
and it's speed penalties. Others may disagree. If the system does not use
the registered DIMMs, make sure the memory is installed in two and only
two modules for minimum latency. For more, see the discussion of memory
here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/building_gaming_opteron_2003
_Part2/page19.asp

Check the task manager's memory usage when your users have a system under
what they would consider maximum load. Get more memory than that,
obviously. No rule of thumb has proven effective, since memory usage
varies so widely with application, even in the same industry. I seem to
be using 15-20% more memory since moving to Sw 2004. You may want to take
that into accound if you haven't moved from 2003 yet.

The QuadroFX500 video card should do well. Some might suggest a fast
GeforceFX with a SoftQuadro patch on the drivers to save money. I'm
guessing you don't want to run unsupported drivers.

If you have room on the desks, a quality 21" CRT will provide better
resolution, brightness, etc. for a lot less money.

Money saved on processors and monitors would be best spent on making sure
the RAM is optimal and a fast disk subsystem. Asseblies and drawings for
a normal project can run into hundreds of MB on disk. Obviously, the
faster that dat acan be read into memory, the sooner you people can get
to work.

Almost anything is going to be lightning fast compared to your existing
machines. Your users must get a lot of web surfing done while waiting on
those things.

--
Dale Dunn
Design Engineer

Doug,

The overall specs look pretty good. You may want to kick up the graphics a
notch to an FX10000 though.

HP doesn't market a CAD worthy machine under the Compaq name anymore. All
the good stuff is HP.

Dell offers quit a few options as well.

One thing you do need to know is that a well spec'd "white box" machine will
out perform the best from HP and Dell for allot less $. It will be just as
reliable too.

The big boys compete on price, so they tend to go the cheapest route. Mother
board makers like Supermicro, Asus, and Gigabyte, compete on performance
(IO). All three of these companies use first quality components. We have
several Supermicro servers that have been running day and night for years
with zero downtime. Our workstations are Supermicro and ASUS, again zero
problems, and very fast.

Regards

Mark

"Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> wrote in message
> I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
> Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
>
> I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
> area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
however,
> tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
> example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
> possible in a reasonable amount of time.
>
> To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
> equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
>
> Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
> if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
> Department)
>
> 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
> 2Gb memory
>
> 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
>
> nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
>
> 20" Ultrasharp LCD
>
> Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
>
> Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
application
> is vehicle manufacturing.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
>
> Doug Dent
> Cornwall
> UK

0
Reply MM 11/7/2003 12:58:19 AM

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3A488.84939D80

I agree with the above posts.

Also, use Windows XP Pro.

Best Regards,
Devon T. Sowell
www.3-ddesignsolutions.com

  "MM" <poundsandspammers@biteme.net> wrote in message =
  Doug,

  The overall specs look pretty good. You may want to kick up the =
graphics a
  notch to an FX10000 though.

  HP doesn't market a CAD worthy machine under the Compaq name anymore. =
All
  the good stuff is HP.

  Dell offers quit a few options as well.

  One thing you do need to know is that a well spec'd "white box" =
machine will
  out perform the best from HP and Dell for allot less $. It will be =
just as
  reliable too.

  The big boys compete on price, so they tend to go the cheapest route. =
Mother
  board makers like Supermicro, Asus, and Gigabyte, compete on =
performance
  (IO). All three of these companies use first quality components. We =
have
  several Supermicro servers that have been running day and night for =
years
  with zero downtime. Our workstations are Supermicro and ASUS, again =
zero
  problems, and very fast.

  Regards

  Mark

  "Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> wrote in message
  > I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) =
with
  > Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
  >
  > I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out =
the IT
  > area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
  however,
  > tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, =
for
  > example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it =
isn't
  > possible in a reasonable amount of time.
  >
  > To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their =
current
  > equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
  >
  > Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq =
equivalent,
  > if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
  > Department)
  >
  > 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
  > 2Gb memory
  >
  > 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
  >
  > nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
  >
  > 20" Ultrasharp LCD
  >
  > Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
  >
  > Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
  application
  > is vehicle manufacturing.
  >
  > Thanks in advance for any help.
  >
  > --
  >
  > Doug Dent
  > Cornwall
  > UK

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3A488.84939D80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I agree with the above =
posts.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also, use Windows XP Pro.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Devon T. Sowell</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.3-ddesignsolutions.com">www.3-ddesignsolutions.com</A>=
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"MM" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:poundsandspammers@biteme.net">poundsandspammers@biteme.net=
</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:L6Cqb.24828$_J5.2882@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com">news:L6Cqb.=
24828$_J5.2882@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com</A>...</DIV>Doug,<BR><BR>The=20
  overall specs look pretty good. You may want to kick up the graphics=20
  a<BR>notch to an FX10000 though.<BR><BR>HP doesn't market a CAD worthy =
machine=20
  under the Compaq name anymore. All<BR>the good stuff is =
HP.<BR><BR>Dell offers=20
  quit a few options as well.<BR><BR>One thing you do need to know is =
that a=20
  well spec'd "white box" machine will<BR>out perform the best from HP =
and Dell=20
  for allot less $. It will be just as<BR>reliable too.<BR><BR>The big =
boys=20
  compete on price, so they tend to go the cheapest route. =
Mother<BR>board=20
  makers like Supermicro, Asus, and Gigabyte, compete on =
performance<BR>(IO).=20
  All three of these companies use first quality components. We =
have<BR>several=20
  Supermicro servers that have been running day and night for =
years<BR>with zero=20
  downtime. Our workstations are Supermicro and ASUS, again =
zero<BR>problems,=20
  and very fast.<BR><BR>Regards<BR><BR>Mark<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>"Doug =
Dent"=20
  &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com">noemailrequired@nospam=
required.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"news:boehfo$gob$1$830fa795@news.demon.co.uk">news:boehfo$gob$1$83=
0fa795@news.demon.co.uk</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
  I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made)=20
  with<BR>&gt; Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; =
I'm not=20
  a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the =
IT<BR>&gt; area,=20
  and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The=20
  engineers,<BR>however,<BR>&gt; tell me that the kit they're using is =
too slow=20
  - to rotate models, for<BR>&gt; example, they need to reduce the =
complexity=20
  first, as otherwise it isn't<BR>&gt; possible in a reasonable amount =
of=20
  time.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; To help solve their problem, I need to be able =
to=20
  compare their current<BR>&gt; equipment with new kit that I'm =
proposing to=20
  buy, as follows;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or =
another=20
  Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,<BR>&gt; if there is any - no other=20
  manufacturers are authorised by the IT<BR>&gt; =
Department)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 2 x=20
  Intel Xeon 3.06GHz<BR>&gt; 2Gb memory<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 40Gb IDE disk 1, =
80Gb=20
  IDE disk 2<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics =
card<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  20" Ultrasharp LCD<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Gigabit network cards (Design =
network runs=20
  at 100/1000)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Does this specification sound well =
balanced for=20
  SolidWorks? The<BR>application<BR>&gt; is vehicle=20
  manufacturing.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Thanks in advance for any =
help.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  --<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Doug Dent<BR>&gt; Cornwall<BR>&gt;=20
  UK<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3A488.84939D80--

0
Reply Devon 11/7/2003 1:07:26 AM

Dale,

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer. The comments yourself and Per
have made have given me some areas to look at in more depth. In particular,
I think I'll look at using a SCSI subsystem instead of IDE, and finance that
by dropping the second processor. I did think about allocating SolidWorks
solely to the second processor, and leaving the first to do the dogsbody
tasks such as handling email.

I do want to run a certified graphics system, and I'd rather spend money on
graphics cards that really do the job rather than try to push a cheaper card
just to save a few quid.

Luckily, the engineers don't do a lot of web surfing. Well, none at all,
really - there isn't an internet connection in their office! (thats another
item on the long list of things to do!)

Regards,

Doug

"Dale Dunn" <daledunnSCRATCH@jamestool.com> wrote in message
> Currently the Opteron 246 systems are the record-setters for the SW
> benchmark. The comparison I saw did not include Xeon processors though.
> Anyway, I don't think Dell or Compaq sell anything but Intel. The Xeon
> porcessor is not significantly faster than the P4 on the SW benchmarks.
> See
> http://www.specbench.org/gpc/apc.data/specapc_sw2001plus_summary.html
>
> Solidworks does not scale at all to two processors. A second processor
> won't be needed unless your users need to do analysis or rendering in a
> separate application in the background, or do other things while waiting
> for SW. Photoworks does use both processors. See if your people use it.

> Make sure the RAM is as fast as possible of course. Stay away from
> Rambus' high latency. Look for dual channel DDR DRAM on the 800 MHz bus.
> In my opinion, SW and Windows are not stable unough to warrant ECC RAM,
> and it's speed penalties. Others may disagree. If the system does not use
> the registered DIMMs, make sure the memory is installed in two and only
> two modules for minimum latency. For more, see the discussion of memory
> here:
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/building_gaming_opteron_2003
> _Part2/page19.asp
>
> Check the task manager's memory usage when your users have a system under
> what they would consider maximum load. Get more memory than that,
> obviously. No rule of thumb has proven effective, since memory usage
> varies so widely with application, even in the same industry. I seem to
> be using 15-20% more memory since moving to Sw 2004. You may want to take
> that into accound if you haven't moved from 2003 yet.
>
> The QuadroFX500 video card should do well. Some might suggest a fast
> GeforceFX with a SoftQuadro patch on the drivers to save money. I'm
> guessing you don't want to run unsupported drivers.
>
> If you have room on the desks, a quality 21" CRT will provide better
> resolution, brightness, etc. for a lot less money.
>
> Money saved on processors and monitors would be best spent on making sure
> the RAM is optimal and a fast disk subsystem. Asseblies and drawings for
> a normal project can run into hundreds of MB on disk. Obviously, the
> faster that dat acan be read into memory, the sooner you people can get
> to work.
>
> Almost anything is going to be lightning fast compared to your existing
> machines. Your users must get a lot of web surfing done while waiting on
> those things.
>
> --
> Dale Dunn
> Design Engineer
> www.jamestool.com

0
Reply Doug 11/7/2003 1:12:25 AM

> I think I'll look at using a SCSI subsystem instead of IDE, and finance
that
> by dropping the second processor.

I was going to say that SCSI will only pay off if people load a LOT of files
every day. I was thinking that it would make sense for someone who is doing
a lot of drawings, but for engineers who are working on a few parts each day
it would be hard to justify. Then I did a quick estimate of time saved. I
think I only spend a few minutes a day, maybe 10 or 15, loading and saving
files. If I could save 5 minutes a day by going to a SCSI drive, 235 days a
year (3 weeks vacation and 11 holidays), that adds up to 19.6 hours. At $100
an hour fully loaded, that's $1960 a year. That'll easily pay the difference
between SCSI and IDE drives. Looking at the Dell prices, Going with a 36GB
(15k rpm) and a 73GB SCSI would add $1079 with cable and card. If you figure
on 2 years before you replace the drives, you will break even with a labor
rate of about $27.50 per hour. I guess I need to ask for SCSI drives next
time we replace our boxes!

>                                                        I did think about
allocating SolidWorks
> solely to the second processor, and leaving the first to do the dogsbody
> tasks such as handling email.

SolidWorks is pretty good about letting go every once in a while so that you
can read email without undue waiting. I've never felt any need to add a
second processor. Other programs, like FEA for example, seem to hang on to
the processor like death, making it pretty much impossible to do anything
else while the analysis is running.

Jerry Steiger
Tripod Data Systems

0
Reply Jerry 11/10/2003 9:43:49 PM

> I was going to say that SCSI will only pay off if people load a LOT of
> files every day. I was thinking that it would make sense for someone
> who is doing a lot of drawings, but for engineers who are working on a
> few parts each day it would be hard to justify. Then I did a quick
> estimate of time saved. I think I only spend a few minutes a day,
> maybe 10 or 15, loading and saving files. If I could save 5 minutes a
> day by going to a SCSI drive, 235 days a year (3 weeks vacation and 11
> holidays), that adds up to 19.6 hours. At $100 an hour fully loaded,
> that's $1960 a year. That'll easily pay the difference between SCSI
> and IDE drives. Looking at the Dell prices, Going with a 36GB (15k
> rpm) and a 73GB SCSI would add $1079 with cable and card. If you
> figure on 2 years before you replace the drives, you will break even
> with a labor rate of about $27.50 per hour. I guess I need to ask for
> SCSI drives next time we replace our boxes!

Interesting analysis. I've been mulling over the idea of using a striped
array of fast SATA drives with a good backup system. I'll have to run
some numbers to see if it's worth it. For the way I work, I think I can
save a lot more than 5 minutes a day over a single ATA drive. On my
current system, it takes me a minimum of 15 minutes to fully load an
average drawing, make a minor change to a model of drawing view, export
new revision .pdf files, and save. Some weeks that happens several times,
and with somebody from the shop on the other end of the phone. So my
savings could double!

--
Dale Dunn
Design Engineer

"per" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<boenq9$dhc$1@yggdrasil.glocalnet.com>...
> You should compare the fully equipped Dell work station with HP (former
> Compaq) workstations when fully equipped, since Dell seem prone to have a
> low starting price, but when you fill it up to your needs the price may well
> have passed an HP machine, equally equipped.
> Others may have something to say about balancing one of two expensive
> processors to serial ATA or SCSI hard drives and/or faster graphics. The old
> Quadro 750 or higher XGL's seems faster in tests than the new (budget model)
> Quadro FX500. But an FX 1000 should be faster still.
> /per
>
> "Doug Dent" <noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > I've got a design team who are currently using computers (home made) with
> > Pentium III 700MHz processors and 256Mb.
> >
> > I'm not a CAD professional, I've just been brought in to sort out the IT
> > area, and the CAD equipment has come under my remit. The engineers,
>  however,
> > tell me that the kit they're using is too slow - to rotate models, for
> > example, they need to reduce the complexity first, as otherwise it isn't
> > possible in a reasonable amount of time.
> >
> > To help solve their problem, I need to be able to compare their current
> > equipment with new kit that I'm proposing to buy, as follows;
> >
> > Dell Precision Workstation 650 (or another Dell, or the Compaq equivalent,
> > if there is any - no other manufacturers are authorised by the IT
> > Department)
> >
> > 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
> > 2Gb memory
> >
> > 40Gb IDE disk 1, 80Gb IDE disk 2
> >
> > nVidia QuadroFX500 graphics card
> >
> > 20" Ultrasharp LCD
> >
> > Gigabit network cards (Design network runs at 100/1000)
> >
> > Does this specification sound well balanced for SolidWorks? The
>  application
> > is vehicle manufacturing.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Doug Dent
> > Cornwall
> > UK

Hey Doug. ..
Heres what I reccomend. . .  (I do IT for automation co. - we use
PRo-E, Mech Desk, Sld Works)

DUAL CHIP IS NICE BUT WITH THE RIGHT COMPONENTS SINGLE WORKS FINE -  I
WILL SAY GO AMD - ARCHITECHTURE WORKS BETTER WITH CAD STUFF.

Drives:
 2 setups
First, Dual 10-20g Scsi Raid 0  or  westernDigital Raptor-raid is a
must.

Second drive:  Small ScSI (dont slave it. . . Run it solo ON pci card)
This second drive would be ONLY for Virtual Mem - make vm static-hide
drive so engineers will not be tempted to use (older 3-5gb scsi will
suffice)

Notice all drive are small-Reason? Smaller drive faster read/write.

Memory: 1g ddr400 will work just fine (again tweak your virtual
memory)

Video Card;

this is the difficult part but definately NO ATI!!!

I would reccomend WILDCAT III (3dlabs) or nividia QuadroFX 2000

Bottom line - Spend at least 1k on your video card. . . ( video cards
have been our single biggest issue in the last 10 years)

also, are you running file server?  if not, do so . . . and let the
engineers store everything on server. Keep CAD stations clean and
lite.

Have FUN!

-Alex

0
Reply info 11/22/2003 5:26:05 AM
comp.cad.solidworks 14462 articles. 55 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

A total beginner, wondering about determining hardware specs. requirements
Hi, I'm just starting to learn Verilog/systemverilog and I've been running some of my code through simulators to ensure that it works, but I am looking into acquiring a development board for further testing and learning experience. Assuming I already had a program that I wanted to run (primarily for network purposes if this matters,) what would I use to estimate the amount of required LE's or CLB's in the FPGA in order to execute the code? Am Montag, 19. November 2012 04:51:15 UTC+1 schrieb Ivan Tolkachev: > Hi, I'm just starting to learn Verilog/systemverilog and ...

Solidworks for Beginners
Do you want to learn SOLIDWORKS? Then, follow this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLIDWORKS-VIDEO-TUTORIALS-DVD-BEGINNER_W0QQitemZ290152097938QQihZ019QQcategoryZ3786QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem "You can almost see the circle growing You can almost feel the planets glowing" I've got what I will call one of his "intermediate" DVD's. It's excellent and I highly recommend his products. I really wish he would do an advanced DVD. Jon Banquer San Diego, CA http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/2007/07/spend-a-littleo.html#comment-76366100 On Aug ...

Hardware spec published?
Does sun produce a hardware spec for swing? eg graphics card/cpu specs? -- Mike W VisionSet <spam@ntlworld.com> wrote: > Does sun produce a hardware spec for swing? > eg graphics card/cpu specs? Such a thing doesn't make much sense, since Swing doesn't include any hardware. What, exactly, do you want to know? -- www.designacourse.com The Easiest Way To Train Anyone... Anywhere. Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer/Technical Trainer MindIQ Corporation "Chris Smith" <cdsmith@twu.net> wrote in message news:MPG.1c05e763353c3a289896fe@news.altopia.n...

hardware dsp beginner
hi, i`m a student studying about dsp.i would be highly oblgied if any of you could let me know as to what is the easisest DSP processor that one can start working on to build small applications. i would also be gratfeul if any of you could suggest me some starting points from buying a good, cheap dsp processor on which i can practice to building small applications on it. thanks shiv shivkumar@asu.edu (shivkumar) wrote in news:d5b83e3d.0307251229.19b5af1b@posting.google.com: > hi, > i`m a student studying about dsp.i would be highly oblgied if any of > you could let me know as to wh...

finding hardware spec
Goodday. Now I am trying to find out about hardware in 2 systems that I have just been given. One is a solaris box, the other a red hat 9 one. I know there are ways using the dmesg command to find some information about the installed hardware (peripherals and cards) but the information is not comprehensive. On the linux box I can use the /proc filesystem. But is there a more comprehensive way of finding out this kind of information without rebooting the machine and going in through the PROM or BIOS or even resorting to finding the original packaging of the hardware? I want to know what models ...

Looking for a beginner SolidWorks tutorial
Hi there, I am looking for a beginner Solidworks 04 Tutorial. I can offer in exhange complete tutorials for UG NX2 or Pro-Engineer. Thanks in advance Kire You may contact me on : kireto16@yahoo.co.uk The tutorials are on the CD or can be downloaded from the SW website. I believe 2004 downloads are still available there. ...

Hardware specs for samba server
We may need to set up a dedicated linux box that NFS-mounts an Acopia switch filesystem and then servers it up via Samba for Windows clients. (Acopias cannot support NFS and CIFS on the same file share.) The box would server about 30 Windows clients with heavy traffic (large sound file processing.) Any idea what kind of hardware (CPU number/type, RAM, etc.) would be required to make this a robust system? -karen K. Bruner wrote: > We may need to set up a dedicated linux box that NFS-mounts an Acopia > switch filesystem and then servers it up via Samba for Windows clients. > (Acopi...

How to spec a Sun server
I would like to ask a question of everyone in the group - how do you spec a server for your specific needs. I know there are sites like http://www.spec.org/ and http://www.tpc.org/, but these simply provide a basic guideline. What I would really like to know is how do you get to the "nitty gritty" of the figuring out which server fits your needs. A Database server will certainly be different than a web server of NFS server. Are there any tools out there? How do the Sun account reps do it? Do they have a matrix, or something? Any help would be appreciated. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNE...

PC Hardware Reliability for SolidWorks?
Everybody & their brother can "make" a PC, and half a dozen or so manufacturers push them out in lots of models. But we rarely get more than a few comments back from the ocassional user on reliability. Recently someone noted their group had some issues with Dells 690, as an instance. Can we get some votes for what has worked and what has had "issues" in hardware from manufacturers, so there is at least a little more feedback into this group? Thanks - Bo > Can we get some votes for what has worked and what has had "issues" in > hardware from manufact...

What spec computer are YOU using with Solidworks?
I'm curious what most of you are using to run Solidworks on..... spec wise that is. But brand/model as well. I'm in market for new PC possibly to run Solidworks on.... hence the questions Thanks in advance! me@privacy.net wrote: > I'm curious what most of you are using to run > Solidworks on..... spec wise that is. But brand/model > as well. > > I'm in market for new PC possibly to run Solidworks > on.... hence the questions > > Thanks in advance! You can find what SolidWorks recommends here: http://www.solidworks.com/pages/services/SystemRequire...

Digital Rack specs/hardware
I purchased a used Digital branded cabinet about a year ago and wanted to buy rack-mounting hardware for it. It's one of the large red cabinets with a plexiglass door (no sides) and 6 120mm fans in the top. It's got 3 shelves (that slide out) mounted in it now. The problem is, it didn't come with any rack-mounting hardware. It's got 2 angle-brackets with square holes punched in them that I could probably get square nuts and mounting clips to mount a system or UPS, but the angle-bracket piece is only about 8 inches tall, so I'd want a longer piece. I'm also looking ...

Considering FreeBsd with this hardware spec..
Hi all, I want to install Freebsd as a heavy fileserver to serve my cyber cafe with 45 PCs.. my server is build from: AMD64 3500+ 512MB Biostar TF550 nforce motherboard - with onboard raid controller (nvraid) 2 x 160 SATA II Seagate running on RAID-0 with nvraid Onboard Gigabit NIC. I need the freebsd to support the Nvraid... this is my major concern.. do anyone have any comment on the server i set?? any info whether FreeBSD support the hardware i listed? I know Freebsd is famous on it's reliability and robustness.. that's wat i need for the gamefile server.. ...

MPE to See Hardware Specs?
Hi All,=20 Is there a command or way to see the hardware specs. of a HP3000 via MPE=20= or it's installed utilities? This machine has no other utilities like MPE= X.=20 I am looking to document the processor(s), memory, number of hard drives=20= and size of those drives.=20 The system is on MPE 6.0.=20 Also, if data is purged and accounts have been purged, is there a way to=20= recovery the data? Other than a restore. The company is retiring the syst= em=20 and wants to be sure there is no company data on the machine.=20 Thanks in advance! Patrick * To join/...

Network Design & Hardware Specs
I would appreciate input/suggestions on the following. Thinking of a large guest ranch w/ vacation homes, guests, staff, ranch/corp machines and neighboring ranches as you read may help clarify things. A network diagram is available at this link if the description below isn't clear. http://69.13.89.25/NetworkDiagram3.pdf Site A: All private IP's. Office has 5 trusted (corporate) users on wired LAN. An additional 15 - 30 users spread over two 802.11b AP's and one 900MHz antenna. Mostly untrusted users, 4 trusted users. Radios are non-Cisco, already in place. It is not possible to ...

The NEW SolidWorks Hardware Sketch Tool ...
So far this has been the most stable product that has ever been released by $Wx. All you do is draw your entity on this new hardware sketch tool and tape it to your screen (make sure that the SWx program is loaded so you can see the menus). Viola you have new design assisted by the new Hardware Sketch Tool. And if you want to change the design you take it back to the drawing board, literally. Once again you can create many new designs by this new Hardware Sketch Tool. Just draw up another design on the Hardware Sketch Tool and replace the predecessor on your screen. And for you electroni...

SolidWorks

Hardware specs gathering?
Good day I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to gather the computer's specs. At the end it will be scripted into Blender. Does Python have such direct hardware access methods that would be platform indepandant? Thanks Nicky Nicky Kotze wrote: I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to gather the computer's specs. At > the end it will be scripted into Blender. > > Does Python have such direct hardware access methods that would be platform > indepandant? Define "specs". Specifically, please. :-) Python has access to some things...

S: AS/400 beginners hardware guide...
Hallo! After I has read a lot of basics about the AS/400 I have bougt three of them. All of them are the "old grey" boxes (9402 / 9404). But all of them without any docs, too...:-( Where can I find a basic introduvtion in AS/400 hardware so I can run the machines? All I can find is software or iSeries hardware. But no classic AS/400. Has anyone an idea? Regards Marcus ...

minimum hardware specs to play doom3?
Hi, i am currently stuck with a relativly new but unimpressive notebook and don't know if it meets the minimum requirements to run doom3. I have appended the specs (using everest), does anyone out there think my computer could run it ( @low resolution etc) thanks -Gaiko Computer: Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack Service Pack 1 Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1) DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b) Motherboard: CPU Type ...

Best way to authenticate hardware specs
Hi everyone! I am not happy with how kudzu manages hardware detection with subsequent modification of /etc/X11/XF86Config. In the past, on videocard upgrade or mouse change, kudzu modified my XF86Config file to something that stopped the X server from starting up. Is anybody aware of a better way to automate hardware detection? All I need is to at least edit the XF86Config to the bare minimum required to start X (a 640x480 resolution with 256 colours will do) and allow the user to run redhat-config-xfree86 or similar to optimize the configuration. For this matter, I have been cons...

Re: MPE to See Hardware Specs?
Thank you Jack! Perfect! I got the info that I needed.=20 Steve - Thanks. I or the company may be contacting you about your product= ..=20 You all are the best!=20 Patrick * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Network Design & Hardware Specs #2
I would appreciate input/suggestions on the following. Thinking of a large guest ranch w/ vacation homes, guests, staff, ranch/corp machines and neighboring ranches as you read may help clarify things. A network diagram is available at this link if the description below isn't clear. http://69.13.89.25/NetworkDiagram3.pdf Site A: All private IP's. Office has 5 trusted (corporate) users on wired LAN. An additional 15 - 30 users spread over two 802.11b AP's and one 900MHz antenna. Mostly untrusted users, 4 trusted users. Radios are non-Cisco, already in place. It is not possible to ...

Hardware spec and cost for j2ee application server
I are planning to implement our J2EE solution to our customer and have to recommend my customer the hardware spec and cost for the following servers. We are expecting about 1000 simultenious and our system is similar to document management system. Java Application Server Web Server MD wrote: > I are planning to implement our J2EE solution to our customer > and have to recommend my customer the hardware spec and > cost for the following servers. We are expecting about 1000 simultenious > and our system is similar to document management system. > > Java Application Serve...

Minimum hardware spec for various Linux installations?
Is there a comprehensive list somewhere that lists the minimum hardware recommendations for various Linux installations? I have the following system on which I want to introduce myself to Linux, so a list would be uiseful to immediately rule some distros out. - MSI MS-5182 socket 7 motherboard ALi M1541 northbridge ALi M1543C southbridge 8MB ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 215R3BUA33 Creative ES1373 sound - AMD K6-2/500AFX 500MHz CPU - 128MB PC100 SDRAM - Seagate Medalist 13030 ST313030A 13GB 5400rpm hard drive - US Robotics USR7900 10/100 NIC - Floppy Drive - Sa...