Helical sweep cut, can't dimension

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I can't dimension a helical swept cut with anything circular in it.

For example:

Extrude circel to round bar
Sketch circle on edge (thread)
Construct helix
Cut-sweep with helix and sketch

Make drawing
Insert view
Insert section view, display only surface etc.

I see the thread to dimension and get: "the selected entity could not be
converted into line or circular arc"

I tried to make a silhouette edge in the part; Select the cut-sweep feature,
split line, silhouette etc.

Anyone?

I use SW2003 SP3.1

0
Reply M 8/21/2003 11:25:36 AM

See related articles to this posting

"M. Heikens" <martijn@zut-engineering.com> wrote in
You can try in 'insert model dimensions' then if they are in the wrong view
just shift-drag them into your section view.

Or show the original sketch involved in the sweep,  then dimension the
sketch entity.

Zander

0
Reply Zander 8/21/2003 2:06:10 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14541 articles. 55 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Helical sweep cut, can't dimension
Hi, I can't dimension a helical swept cut with anything circular in it. For example: Extrude circel to round bar Sketch circle on edge (thread) Construct helix Cut-sweep with helix and sketch Make drawing Insert view Insert section view, display only surface etc. I see the thread to dimension and get: "the selected entity could not be converted into line or circular arc" I tried to make a silhouette edge in the part; Select the cut-sweep feature, split line, silhouette etc. Anyone? I use SW2003 SP3.1 "M. Heikens" <martijn@zut-engineering.com> wrote in...

surface generated by sweep helical cut selection problem???
I have modeled a real M12 * 1.75 bolt. I have created the threads by a sweep helical cut by using the necessary profile of the thread. There is no problem at all by sw2003 on modelling a real threaded bolt. But when it comes to use the model for an analysis by an other software, I need to select upper surfaces of the seperate ring like features of the thread, but sw creates them in such a way that they can only be selected as a whole surface. If u look at a threaded bolt, U can easily see that in reality they are all independent surfaces ( the upper surfaces of the thread) Splitting curve ...

Helical Sweep Cut Threads extend off part as Surface
How do I stop WF3 M070 from showing the cut threads as surfaces extending off the part. Thanks! Bruce This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C80505.E70EA090 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable "Bruce" <www@www.com> wrote in message = news:B8mdnbw3aO_E95_anZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@rcn.net... How do I stop WF3 M070 from showing the cut threads as surfaces=20 extending off the part. Thanks! Bruce Could you briefly describe how you created them? David...

Helical cut on a shaft
I am attempting to model a helical cut on a shaft. That is, a cut like the spiral that you see on a barbershop pole. But rather than just a painted red stripe, I want a groove that's the width of the stripe, and cuts into the cylinder. An example would be a 1/2" diameter cylinder, with a 1/16" endmill helical cut going around it, just like the barbershop stripe. I am coming to the conclusion that it is not an easy thing to do at all. Has anyone accurately modeled a helical cut on a shaft? I now believe it's not as simple as sweeping a rectangular cross section. This se...

Cut-Sweep Procedure
When I am performing a Cut-Sweep on the top edges of a rectangle extrusion, that is extruded to 1" in height, for example, it is understood that I need a sketch normal to the top edge, of the rectangle, drawn to the shape that I want, and I also need a path, for this shape to follow, as in any sweep. My question is: Must I use the top surface of the rectangle as a planar face to redraw the exact edges of the rectangle thus creating another sketch to use as the path, or am I somehow able to adjust the parameters and select the actual edges of the rectangle as the given path? G. De Ang...

Where is my sweep cut command
I have the SW 2007 with cosmos and I do not see the cut sweep command. Do I need to activate my cosmos license? Bob On Mar 6, 10:00 pm, "sycochkn" <sycoc...@earthlink.net> wrote: > I have the SW 2007 with cosmos and I do not see the cut sweep command. Do I > need to activate my cosmos license? > > Bob There's no swept cut icon on your toolbar by default. Just go to the drop down menu Insert>Cut>Sweep. Or put the icon on your toolbar <tnewton76@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3fae0542-d3bd-4d58-b531-5b9cbe05a5b1@n77g2000hse.googlegroups.c...

HELICAL EXTRUDED CUT
Hi People, I have been using solidworks for about six months and a customer wants solid models and dwg's of a 2 inch od by 6 inch long with 4 equally spaced helical flutes rotating 180 degrees from end to end. I easily have my model of the part and the four helix lines along the o.d. but I can't seem to figure out how to turn the helix line into the extruded cuts. Would deeply appreciate knowing how to do this, I'm using SW97 because newer versions have issues with my AMD processor. create a new plane, normal to a helix at its end for your profile, use the helix as a path for a...

Cutting a helical thread
Hello, I'm trying to model a cut helical thread. I'm getting the resolve error and "Could not intersect part with feature." I tried everything to correct the problem without any luck. I modeled many threads in the same manner without this error. Does anyone have any clues how to correct this? Thank you This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C788DE.554FAA30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <caduser@xxx.com> wrote in message = news:nv8233t7v...

Assembly cut dimensions?
Hello I have created a cut in assembly mode that intersects two parts within an assembly, this cut is shown in the individual parts also. I cant get the dimensions to show in the parts when I create a part drawing. I end up putting the dimensions in manually! Hope this makes sense? Geoff > "JimiH" <g.ormesher@ntlworld.com> wrote > Hello > > I have created a cut in assembly mode that intersects two parts within > an assembly, this cut is shown in the individual parts also. > > I cant get the dimensions to show in the parts when I crea...

3d helical sweep
anyone know how to do a helical sweep around a 3d trajectory (to simulate a curly telephone cable) thx, Dave > anyone know how to do a helical sweep around a 3d trajectory (to simulate a > curly telephone cable) You can use an x-vector VSS to create a construction surface (line swept along trajectory, use the sketcher relation sd#=N*360*trajpar, where N = number of turns, to dimension the line's angle relative a sketcher reference), the edge of which will be the trajectory for your circular section profile. "Jeff Howard" <jeff4136@mindsp...