Helical sweep cut, can't dimension

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I can't dimension a helical swept cut with anything circular in it.

For example:

Extrude circel to round bar
Sketch circle on edge (thread)
Construct helix
Cut-sweep with helix and sketch

Make drawing
Insert view
Insert section view, display only surface etc.

I see the thread to dimension and get: "the selected entity could not be
converted into line or circular arc"

I tried to make a silhouette edge in the part; Select the cut-sweep feature,
split line, silhouette etc.

Anyone?

I use SW2003 SP3.1

0
Reply M 8/21/2003 11:25:36 AM

See related articles to this posting

"M. Heikens" <martijn@zut-engineering.com> wrote in
You can try in 'insert model dimensions' then if they are in the wrong view
just shift-drag them into your section view.

Or show the original sketch involved in the sweep,  then dimension the
sketch entity.

Zander

0
Reply Zander 8/21/2003 2:06:10 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14477 articles. 55 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Helical sweep cut, can't dimension
Hi, I can't dimension a helical swept cut with anything circular in it. For example: Extrude circel to round bar Sketch circle on edge (thread) Construct helix Cut-sweep with helix and sketch Make drawing Insert view Insert section view, display only surface etc. I see the thread to dimension and get: "the selected entity could not be converted into line or circular arc" I tried to make a silhouette edge in the part; Select the cut-sweep feature, split line, silhouette etc. Anyone? I use SW2003 SP3.1 "M. Heikens" <martijn@zut-engineering.com> wrote in...

surface generated by sweep helical cut selection problem???
I have modeled a real M12 * 1.75 bolt. I have created the threads by a sweep helical cut by using the necessary profile of the thread. There is no problem at all by sw2003 on modelling a real threaded bolt. But when it comes to use the model for an analysis by an other software, I need to select upper surfaces of the seperate ring like features of the thread, but sw creates them in such a way that they can only be selected as a whole surface. If u look at a threaded bolt, U can easily see that in reality they are all independent surfaces ( the upper surfaces of the thread) Splitting curve ...

Helical Sweep Cut Threads extend off part as Surface
How do I stop WF3 M070 from showing the cut threads as surfaces extending off the part. Thanks! Bruce This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C80505.E70EA090 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable "Bruce" <www@www.com> wrote in message = news:B8mdnbw3aO_E95_anZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@rcn.net... How do I stop WF3 M070 from showing the cut threads as surfaces=20 extending off the part. Thanks! Bruce Could you briefly describe how you created them? David...

Helical cut on a shaft
I am attempting to model a helical cut on a shaft. That is, a cut like the spiral that you see on a barbershop pole. But rather than just a painted red stripe, I want a groove that's the width of the stripe, and cuts into the cylinder. An example would be a 1/2" diameter cylinder, with a 1/16" endmill helical cut going around it, just like the barbershop stripe. I am coming to the conclusion that it is not an easy thing to do at all. Has anyone accurately modeled a helical cut on a shaft? I now believe it's not as simple as sweeping a rectangular cross section. This se...

Cut-Sweep Procedure
When I am performing a Cut-Sweep on the top edges of a rectangle extrusion, that is extruded to 1" in height, for example, it is understood that I need a sketch normal to the top edge, of the rectangle, drawn to the shape that I want, and I also need a path, for this shape to follow, as in any sweep. My question is: Must I use the top surface of the rectangle as a planar face to redraw the exact edges of the rectangle thus creating another sketch to use as the path, or am I somehow able to adjust the parameters and select the actual edges of the rectangle as the given path? G. De Ang...

Where is my sweep cut command
I have the SW 2007 with cosmos and I do not see the cut sweep command. Do I need to activate my cosmos license? Bob On Mar 6, 10:00 pm, "sycochkn" <sycoc...@earthlink.net> wrote: > I have the SW 2007 with cosmos and I do not see the cut sweep command. Do I > need to activate my cosmos license? > > Bob There's no swept cut icon on your toolbar by default. Just go to the drop down menu Insert>Cut>Sweep. Or put the icon on your toolbar <tnewton76@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3fae0542-d3bd-4d58-b531-5b9cbe05a5b1@n77g2000hse.googlegroups.c...

HELICAL EXTRUDED CUT
Hi People, I have been using solidworks for about six months and a customer wants solid models and dwg's of a 2 inch od by 6 inch long with 4 equally spaced helical flutes rotating 180 degrees from end to end. I easily have my model of the part and the four helix lines along the o.d. but I can't seem to figure out how to turn the helix line into the extruded cuts. Would deeply appreciate knowing how to do this, I'm using SW97 because newer versions have issues with my AMD processor. create a new plane, normal to a helix at its end for your profile, use the helix as a path for a...

3d helical sweep
anyone know how to do a helical sweep around a 3d trajectory (to simulate a curly telephone cable) thx, Dave > anyone know how to do a helical sweep around a 3d trajectory (to simulate a > curly telephone cable) You can use an x-vector VSS to create a construction surface (line swept along trajectory, use the sketcher relation sd#=N*360*trajpar, where N = number of turns, to dimension the line's angle relative a sketcher reference), the edge of which will be the trajectory for your circular section profile. "Jeff Howard" <jeff4136@mindsp...

Assembly cut dimensions?
Hello I have created a cut in assembly mode that intersects two parts within an assembly, this cut is shown in the individual parts also. I cant get the dimensions to show in the parts when I create a part drawing. I end up putting the dimensions in manually! Hope this makes sense? Geoff > "JimiH" <g.ormesher@ntlworld.com> wrote > Hello > > I have created a cut in assembly mode that intersects two parts within > an assembly, this cut is shown in the individual parts also. > > I cant get the dimensions to show in the parts when I crea...

Cutting a helical thread
Hello, I'm trying to model a cut helical thread. I'm getting the resolve error and "Could not intersect part with feature." I tried everything to correct the problem without any luck. I modeled many threads in the same manner without this error. Does anyone have any clues how to correct this? Thank you This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C788DE.554FAA30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <caduser@xxx.com> wrote in message = news:nv8233t7v...

cut sweep inside a block
Hi!.Please help me about this... I have a 3d block that has a cavity in the middle. I want to automate how to cut a circular channel inside of the using VBA macro. The user will just input necessary parameters then wid just a click.. The macro will create a channel. Looking forward for your response.. Thank You. Regards, Nes. how about an excel table?... On Mar 19, 1:32 pm, "neil" <neils...@hotmail.com> wrote: > how about an excel table?... really??...but how??can you show me pls... ...

Compare Utility and Helical Sweeps
Has anybody had much luck using the geometry compare utility on helical sweeps in assemblies? I invariably get a geometry error. TOP wrote: > Has anybody had much luck using the geometry compare utility on helical > sweeps in assemblies? I invariably get a geometry error. Not on helical, but I have on other algorithmic geometry. My guess is that geometry compare attempts a boolean function between the models to show what has changed. Just like when we try to combine-add/subtract two bodies and it fails due to a zero-thickness geometry error, I suspect that geometry-compare fails due...

cutting with sweeps, swx 2003
Quick question. Is it possible to use a sweep or a sweeping type of procedure (sketch and path) to REMOVE material? I couldn't find any kind of function like that and didn't see any topics on it in the help file. Thanks in advance for any responses Jeff jpolster@calpoly.edu (Jeff Polster) wrote in news:4433e993.0310112017.7c183a7d@posting.google.com: > Quick question. Is it possible to use a sweep or a sweeping type of > procedure (sketch and path) to REMOVE material? I couldn't find any > kind of function like that and didn't see any topics on it in the help &...

Problem with a helical sweep (image provided)
Hello I have been trying to model a funky part that basically looks like cylinder that has had a helical sweep cut along its length. The pitch of the actual helix that defines the cut path actually varies every 1/4 of a revolution getting progressively smaller. The cut profile of the helical sweep cut is defined on a plane that is coincident with one end of the helix and parallel to the axis of the cylinder. The intent is to keep that orientation throughout the sweep. Now the curious thing is that if I start the helical swept cut at one end of the cylinder and terminate it at some distanc...

Helical Sweep Along Curve or Spline
Has anyone found this to be possible? If so, how? SW2005 does this now. Mike Wilson How ?????? Mark "Mike J. Wilson" <m@w.com> wrote in message news:2vafn4F2ftj02U1@uni-berlin.de... > SW2005 does this now. > > Mike Wilson > > In the Twist and Orientation dropdown list, there is a choice for "twhist along path" matt "MM" <markm@nospam.net> wrote in news:90bkd.19598$6q2.1473 @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com: > How ?????? > > > Mark > > > > "Mike J. Wilson" <m@w.com> wrote in ...

Helical cuts on the outside of a tube help!
I'm muddling my way through solidworks and have no formal training but the = semester of Wildfire 4.0. that I have under my belt. Since solidworks is a= much more industry friendly CAD I've decided to start trying my designs in= it. I've got a simple basic tube that I created from an extrusion. Basic= dimensions of the tube are as follows. 23mm OD 21mm ID, 40mm tall. Curre= ntly I used a profile to cut a drawing along the helix similar to what you'= d do with threads, but I need a total of 2 of these cutouts and I need them= to not be square, but instead represe...

Creating a cut sweep threading on rod 478729
I hope someone can help. I'm rather new to solidworks 2k5 and trying to create a threaded rod. I cannot find a good example to learn how to create threading on a rod. I the rod is to be made so it has a standard 7/16x20 unf threading. Can someone direct me to a good tutorial or upload a sample file? This is really starting to agrevate me to no end. It should be so simple. TIA sketch a circle on the end of the rod... and then use the helix tool to make a thread path. create a plane perp on the path at the end...and draw a profile... to cut sweep. - also you can make a cosmetic ...

Creating a cut sweep threading on rod 284333
sketch a circle on the end of the rod... and then use the helix tool to make a thread path. create a plane perp on the path at the end...and draw a profile... to cut sweep. - also you can make a cosmetic thread rather than a modelled one. Thanks for your quick response. How would I create a cosmetic thread? I need the rod to be 7/16" threaded. The Basic Major diameter needs to be .4375, the minor diameter actually needs to be .3780 instead w/20 TPI. sketch a circle on the end of the rod... and then use the helix tool to make a thread path. create a plane perp on the path a...

Sweep Cut using a SOLID on a 3D path
Can anybody give any inputs..? the subject is self explanatory Pablo Ulloa Hello I did not try this by mysefl, but I've discussed this issue with some colleagues about half a year ago. I suggest use of MDX (Mechanism Design Extension) module. In mechanism mode simulate movement of the "tool" body along 3D Path and create movement envelope. Movement envelope can be saved as a Pro/E part and used for cut-out process in assembly. I hope this helped a bit... Gretings from Maribor - Slovenija Joze <lpabloulloa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1187722...

Re: Creating a cut sweep threading on rod 257593
well it is fairly simple ... - find the icon on your toolbar shown in the lower part of the help notes and click on it a panel comes up in the feature manager. select the outside dia of the rod and a bitmap will show on the screen along with a circle on the end of the rod. change the condition to the length you require and type in your callout of 7/16 or what ever - I was able to do that...but for some reason I can't seem to see the threading even when I create a drawing from it. I looked at the help files also to for issues with seeing the cosmetic threads but it did not help. I am...

Re: Creating a cut sweep threading on rod 342937
Go to the "SWParts" link. There are some broken links at the top, but if you scroll down, you'll see the part. --Thank you for the link! The files are great to have...is there any way that someone can give a quick step by step tutorial on making one of these or even a book on making them? I can make a variety of other parts...these are giving me trouble though. I already have one graphical concepts in solidworks but there isn't anything with using exterior threads. ...

Re: Creating a cut sweep threading on rod 462280
probably easiest just to type 'cosmetic thread' into your SW help search for info... - another way to show threads is to simply make a busy representation of a thread using a revolved zigzag - this has the advantages of looking like a thread from a distance but cuts rebuild times over the sweep esp. if you have many of them. --Do you have a sample file or somewhere that I can be directed to to see this or one that you can quickly upload...If I knew what I was doing...it would probably take a minute or two? I looked through the help files but it wasn't too much help. I wis...

Re: Creating a cut sweep threading on rod #2 448519
well I am making you an example which I will send if I can have a legit address... Awesome stevek7773@hotmail.com Thank you very much! ...

Re: Creating a cut sweep threading on rod #2 1236723
sketch a circle on the end of the rod... and then use the helix tool to make a thread path. create a plane perp on the path at the end...and draw a profile... to cut sweep. - also you can make a cosmetic thread rather than a modelled one. Thanks for your quick response. How would I create a cosmetic thread? I need the rod to be 7/16" threaded. The Basic Major diameter needs to be .4375, the minor diameter actually needs to be .3780 instead w/20 TPI. ...

dimension of a dimension
Greetings. I went through all articles and books but could not find a decent answer to the following warehouse design problem. We are a bank, and we have millions of customers. Some of our customers are firms, and we coordinate paychecks on behalf of them. Their employees are also our customers. You can see that there is a self-reference to the customer dimension. We need to keep an attribute over the customer dimension indicating who his employer is. The problem here is that we need to keep history for this customer dimension, likely to be Kimball Type2. However anytime an...