IDF translators CircuitWorks and Desktop

Has anybody ever used CircuitWorks or Desktop to bring in PCB design
data?
What kind of success have had? Failures? things to look out for?
I used to do this years ago when I worked on Pro/E and Mentor Graphics
but now I need to do this with Solidworks.
I know I need the EMN and EMP files to import and I can export an IDF
file.
Which one of the programs would you suggest?

Richard Duck
0
richard
2/10/2004 3:50:48 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14465 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

We use Desktop EDA to bring in IDF files from Veribest. Absolutely no
problems. Cheap and reliable. Good support by email. Just got Gold
certified. We looked at Circuitworks, but it cost a lot more for no
additional benefit.

bp
Brian Park
DVC Co.

"Richard Duck" <richard.duck@jdsu.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody ever used CircuitWorks or Desktop to bring in PCB design
> data?
> What kind of success have had? Failures? things to look out for?
> I used to do this years ago when I worked on Pro/E and Mentor Graphics
> but now I need to do this with Solidworks.
> I know I need the EMN and EMP files to import and I can export an IDF
> file.
> Which one of the programs would you suggest?
>
> Richard Duck

0
Brian
2/10/2004 5:28:14 PM
Richard,

Several clients have adopted Desktop EDA. It works as advertised.
Most of the choices came down to cost - with EDA being cheaper than
Circuitworks.

I believe you can download demo copies of both programs.
Using the supplied demo data should give you a good feel for each
program.
They are not hard to set-up so testing both of them wouldn't be a big
time burden.

A little more time will be required if you use a PDM system since they
look for existing library folders.

Cheers,

Len

richard.duck@jdsu.com (Richard Duck) wrote in message news:<9c160b9f.0402100750.65d9d7e0@posting.google.com>...
> Has anybody ever used CircuitWorks or Desktop to bring in PCB design
> data?
> What kind of success have had? Failures? things to look out for?
> I used to do this years ago when I worked on Pro/E and Mentor Graphics
> but now I need to do this with Solidworks.
> I know I need the EMN and EMP files to import and I can export an IDF
> file.
> Which one of the programs would you suggest?
>
> Richard Duck
0
lmar
2/10/2004 8:59:14 PM
Richard,
We have used CircuitWorks since its inception and ben involved with
its ongoing improvement. It works very well, either creating its own
'skyscraper' models or using your own SolidWorks library parts. You
can filter out items that are not parts, such as test pads, fiducials
etc. and decide whether holes are shown and which ones.
I would recommend you trying it out.

Pete Nichols
peter.nichols_RUBBISH@megger.com (throw out _RUBBISH)
0
peter
2/11/2004 7:43:31 AM
peter.nichols@megger.com (Peter Nichols) wrote in message news:<5c68f204.0402102343.65a510f3@posting.google.com>...
> Richard,
> We have used CircuitWorks since its inception and ben involved with
> its ongoing improvement. It works very well, either creating its own
> 'skyscraper' models or using your own SolidWorks library parts. You
> can filter out items that are not parts, such as test pads, fiducials
> etc. and decide whether holes are shown and which ones.
> I would recommend you trying it out.
>
> Pete Nichols
> peter.nichols_RUBBISH@megger.com (throw out _RUBBISH)

If you will be using this in-house only these programs are not bad.
If you plan on bringing in outside PCBA's however you may not have the
correct alignment between the IDF file and the true PCBA.  We build
PCBA test fixtures and wated to try and bring in IDF data to get a
virtual PCBA.  How the individual parts are set-up may change how the
part is aligned into the PCBA.

Jess
0
jesse

Address translations initiated by a process
I have written a PCI driver for my device. The device is an FPGA which is configured with a design that allows it to have direct access to memory of a host computer using the AMD HTX Bus to which the fpga board is connected. My device driver is responsible for translating virtual addresses to physical addresses and sending these to the FPGA so the DMA unit in the FPGA can directly access pages in memory. I have a C program which wants to send some bitstream data(is used to configure the FPGA) to the fpga device. So what I do in the program is open a file as follows : //Copy bitstr...

Software translation: English to Dutch!
From: R�my Reijven Email address: remy@webdesignworld.nl Nationality: Dutch Subject: Software translation: English to Dutch! Dear software creator, If you have made a computer programme in English and you will translate it to Dutch... then you can contact me! I'll translate it for you, and it doesn't cost much. When you are interested, you can send an email to remy@webdesignworld.nl. Then we can deliberate about the price. R�my Reijven ...

php to java translator
Hi Does anyone know if there exists some sort of php to java translator. I dont expect it to produce running code, as I am willing to edit the result by hand. So any sort of beta version would do. Thanks, Michiel. ...

idf file import
Hi All, Does anybody have any experience importing large idf files from Allegro/Cadence into Solidworks? I'm trying to import a idf file with 7500 parts with no success. The systems runs out of memory each time. Is there any setting or options I can change. Any help is appreciated. B- We have been using CircuitWorks (so this may not apply) and have seen the same "out of memory" problem. Try filtering via size (only vias larger than, say, .025). Likewise try filtering component size (taller than .060). This has worked for us. My Allegro guys have also come up with a...

RenderMan FAQ Portuguese Translation is released
Hello to all. A Portuguese translation of the RenderMan FAQ is now online at http://pixelbox.superihost.com/cgrr_faq.htm This translation is integrated at PixelBox Academy. Agora em Portugu�s: Ol� a todos. Uma vers�o em Portugu�s da FAQ do RenderMan pode ser consultada em http://pixelbox.superihost.com/cgrr_faq.htm Esta tradu��o est� integrada na PixelBox Academy Cheers Bruno A. F. Patatas ...

CompanionLink Brings Palm Desktop Sync to Palm Pre
One of the concerns for PalmOS users (at for this user) about the Palm Pre is data migration from older PalmOS devices. CompanionLink which for years provided solutions for syncing Palm devices with Outlook is now showing demo video on how syncing between a variety of desktop PIMs, including Palm Desktop and Outlook, and the Palm Pre will work: http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmaddicts/2009/04/it-seems-that-companionlink-posted-a-video-online-showing-how-to-sync-your-palm-pre-with-palm-deskto.html This isn't a perfect solution for everyone I suppose since it uses Google as an in...

[UNIFACE-L:3508] Re: IDF Problems
Perhaps check for common files left in read/write from dead / killed sessions eg udesc.urr, uobj.dol. Use /pri=999 and see if this gives you info on timing ie does the transacript window stop scrolling at a particular point eg accessing UOBJ, connecting to database... Might help you narrow down the cause. -----Original Message----- From: jannieh.pieterse@sita.co.za [mailto:jannieh.pieterse@sita.co.za] Sent: Monday, 23 June 2003 4:50 PM To: UNIFACE-L@uug.org Subject: [UNIFACE-L:3502] Re: IDF Problems Ingo This happens with the application and with the IDF session. a...

Tungsten_T desktop Change?
I want to change my calendar and address synch from the Palm desktop to Outlook. What is the best way to accomplish this? I tried to "modify" installation, but it defaulted to the palm desktop. No option for outlook. Ideas? ...

why excute bit on for .desktop files?
One strange thing I see on KDE4 (4.3.5): If the Desktop/*.desktop - files don't have the execute bit set, they are shown with a red exclamation mark. Looks like this has been done by someone who does not know what executable means in Unix/Linux. /Str. chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties: > One strange thing I see on KDE4 (4.3.5): > > If the Desktop/*.desktop - files don't have the execute bit set, they are shown with > a red exclamation mark. > > Looks like this has been done by someone who does not know what executable means in >...

Where does Windows (esp XP/2K) store the postion of icons on the desktop?
I want to be able to write a program to save and restore icon positions but I haven't found any information on where this is kept. Any suggestions, hints, URLs, etc are welcome TIA Norm Norm Dresner wrote: > I want to be able to write a program to save and restore icon positions > but > I haven't found any information on where this is kept. Any suggestions, > hints, URLs, etc are welcome > TIA > Norm See chapter 22 of Jeffrey Richters "Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows" 4th Ed, ISBN 1-57231-996-8. He...

Scaling, translation, and rotation
Given a large, let's say 100 by 100, 2D grid of input neurons in a NN and a simple pattern like: * * * * * * * from the what I know of the training of NN's it seems that one has to apply the pattern as training data at every possible location, scale and rotation to get it to recognize "the" single pattern independent of S, T, or R. While I haven't done a lot of googling looking for this subject I wonder whether this subject in general, or any one of the individual ones, has been studied and what this topic is called in the literature. It seems like one...

Is Ruby to Objective-C Source Translator Easier?
Would it be easier to create a ruby to objective-c translator than it is to create a ruby compiler? Given the following, it appears it might be easier to do this than converting ruby to pure c or c++. Support for blocks in Objective-C described here (its been tested with POCS, not sure how many other compilers support this): http://users.pandora.be/stes/block98/index.html And here's a short description of Objective-C from http://www.dekorte.com/Objective-C/ C-based Unlike C++, Objective-C is a true superset of C. Dynamic Objective-C is dynamicaly typed ...

idf 'Out of Memory' error
Hi, I'm using uniface again after a few years' hiatus, so forgive my ignorance. I recently installed uniface 8.3.02 on a win xp laptop and everything was working fine for a while, but suddenly I was unable to open forms, services, or reports from the IDF. Every time I click on the form (or service or report) icon on the presentation tab of the idf, the application closes and I receive an transcript screen with this message: Fatal error: 9010 - Out of memory; cannot claim more I'm certain I'm running more than sufficient memory to perform this operation (everyt...

IDF with IMAQ?
Hi, I am a graduate student using the department's copy (site liscensed I am told) of IMAQ vision for Labview (we are using IMAQ 7 with Labview 6). &nbsp; My labview skills are primitive but I managed to make some image processing software for my research project (blob analysis sort of thing). &nbsp; In my project I collect images from a microscope camera wherein each image is taken when the objective of the scope is at a slightly different distance from the specimine, thus working like a confocal scope, except we are looking at darkfeild plan view with reflected light. The 'st...

Ubuntu crapware: "makes you fight your OS...too many bugs to recommend to non-hackers...I question the feasibility of Linux for casual desktop users"
"I used to recommend Linux to novice computers users like my parents. After having to solve too many broken updates with Ubuntu I had to finally concede that Windows is the most appropriate environment for a user that doesn't want to have to fight with their OS. There are just far too many obvious and critical bugs in Ubuntu to recommend it to an inexperienced user without a strong hacker ethic. While I still prefer using Linux over Windows as a software developer, I find myself beginning to lose more and more patience with Ubuntu with every new release. When will we get to a...

@promt Office Translator English-Pt 7.8
@promt Office 7.8 gives home and small offices a simple, powerful way to work with multilingual business and technical documents, presentations, web pages, ICQ instant messaging chats, even image files. The software includes a number of translation options and program tuning options, such as creating user dictionaries, reserving words which do not need to be translated, and tweaking translation rules to ensure the highest-quality translation. Even researching foreign language sites on the web becomes easy, with real-time translation of web pages, including preservation of navigation li...

RE: [Uniface-L] Uniface 7.2.06 IDF corruption, driver error 100
Tatiana Andronache, I don't have any answer to your immediate problem - however I think that any version control tool which messes up your source code and requires that you copy your code to a PC to make simple change is probably not being much help to you. Our organisation sells an alternative (UD6/Cmtool Driver): http://march-hare.com IBM in other places are using our solution with great results. If you would like some more information, or an on site demonstration please do not hesitate to contact me directly. During Septembre we will be holding demonstrations in the US...

Debian Powerpc installed on partition too small to add desktop environment
Hi There, I have successfully installed debian powerpc onto my 9600/350 powerMac but the partition I created is only 800mb so I cannot install the desktop environment. Is it possible to move some of the current install to other partitions without having to start from scratch? I no longer have Mac OS 8.5 on this machine that is how I managed to install Debian using BootX from the Mac OS. Can't seem to find any reference to this problem on the web. In article <ejvnnl$pf3$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>, Grant Harding <grant@websight.co.za> wrote: > Hi There...

Google desktop
Hi, I am writing an application in which i have to coomunicate with google desktop by using ssl socket. i am able to implement the ssl based socket communication with my own server. The problem is how to find whether google desktop is installed or not. and how to send request to google desktop?? Any pointer will be very helpful. ...

Translating Javascript programs to python.
Hi, I have a script with hundreds of lines of javascript spread accross 7 files. Is there any tool out there to automatically or semi-automatically translate the code into python. Thanks Vyz Vyz schrieb: > Hi, > I have a script with hundreds of lines of javascript spread accross 7 > files. Is there any tool out there to automatically or > semi-automatically translate the code into python. Nope. Besides: in which environment does that script run - a browser? Then it would be difficult if not impossible to execute even a hypothetic result. Diez Vyz wrote: > Hi, > I h...

US-NY-Albany: EDI Translater, EDI 270/271, Scripting; open (45359557608)
US-NY-Albany: EDI Translater, EDI 270/271, Scripting; open (45359557608) ======================================================================== Position: EDI 270 Developer Reference: WMM00021 Location: Albany NY Duration: Permanent Skills: EDI 270/271 Scripting EDI Tools EDI Translations and Transmissions Scope: Complete EDI Translation and Verification Develop EDI 270 /271 module for insurance verification system. Develop EDI 270 /271 module for insurance veri...

desktop strangeness
All of a sudden, the background color when I click on an icon has changed. Also, when I reboot, the icons don't fully appear until I hit sort. I've cleaned the ini files, but that didn't help. What else should I try? Thanks, Alan -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. ** Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com -----------------------------------------------...

[News] New: PGP Desktop 8.0.3
PGP CORPORATION ANNOUNCES RELEASE OF PGP� DESKTOP 8.0.3 Support for the latest Windows and Mac operating systems and popular email clients [Source: http://www.pgp.com/company/pr/2003/desktop8.0.3.html] PALO ALTO, CA, October 24, 2003 -- PGP Corporation, the recognized leader in secure messaging and information storage, today announced the immediate availability of PGP Desktop 8.0.3. This version adds support for Microsoft Office 2003, including Outlook 2003 and Windows Server 2003; Novell GroupWise 6.5; and Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther). "Although technology changes increasing...

Desktop Pics
If any of you all would not mind sending me pics of your: Magic & Jinee desktops for those running Magic on their Ataris, and Mint & whatever desktops for those running Mint on their Ataris. I'm trying to decide for sure between Magic 6.x and Mint. Thanks to all of you!! :) Sam F. Seattle Seahawks Nut Atari Computer Nut C-Lab Falcon, 14mbram,540mb hdd., & Historical Miniatures Wargaming Nut Le Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:05:24 +0000, SF0218 a �crit�: Hi, > If any of you all would not mind sending me pics of your: Magic & Jinee > desktops for those running Magic on thei...

Machine Translation
Hello All , How r u ? I guess so fine. I am writing my first letter to this group .Hope u all will coordinate. Here is the problem. First , what I want to do is "Machine Translation"(changing from one language to another).This is the topic of Natural Language Processing and is also a lot concerned with speech.Lets see it from an example , suppose I want to convert an english spoken words to german or any other language.First I will convert the english words to english text,then translate the english text to german text and then from german text to german spoken or speech ...