Maximum Radius of curvature?

Hello,
In SW, the Check menu allows you to check the" maximum radius of
curvature". What exactly does this mean?  It seems to mean different
things in different industries. I have checked all my radius's and the
numbers dont match up with anything. Is the some kind of standard
equation for this? I couldnt find anything online.
Thanks
Mike
0
Mike
7/18/2007 12:56:41 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14443 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Mike wrote:
> Hello,
> In SW, the Check menu allows you to check the" maximum radius of
> curvature". What exactly does this mean?  It seems to mean different
> things in different industries. I have checked all my radius's and the
> numbers dont match up with anything. Is the some kind of standard
> equation for this? I couldnt find anything online.
> Thanks
> Mike

Actually, that should be the "minimum" radius of curvature. It just
finds the smallest radius (largest curvature) on the model. If you have
used modeling techniques which lead to "singularities" (such as lofting
to a point), the curvature at the point can be very tight (radius in the
..00x" or less region). It is usually used to troubleshoot a model when
an offset, shell or fillet will not work. If the minimum radius on a
part is .030", you may have difficulty shelling it at .090". It
shouldn't mean anything different to any particular industry.
0
matt