Maximum Radius of curvature?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello,
In SW, the Check menu allows you to check the" maximum radius of
curvature". What exactly does this mean?  It seems to mean different
things in different industries. I have checked all my radius's and the
numbers dont match up with anything. Is the some kind of standard
equation for this? I couldnt find anything online.
Thanks
Mike
0
Reply Mike 7/18/2007 12:56:41 PM

See related articles to this posting

Mike wrote:
> Hello,
> In SW, the Check menu allows you to check the" maximum radius of
> curvature". What exactly does this mean?  It seems to mean different
> things in different industries. I have checked all my radius's and the
> numbers dont match up with anything. Is the some kind of standard
> equation for this? I couldnt find anything online.
> Thanks
> Mike

Actually, that should be the "minimum" radius of curvature. It just
finds the smallest radius (largest curvature) on the model. If you have
used modeling techniques which lead to "singularities" (such as lofting
to a point), the curvature at the point can be very tight (radius in the
..00x" or less region). It is usually used to troubleshoot a model when
an offset, shell or fillet will not work. If the minimum radius on a
part is .030", you may have difficulty shelling it at .090". It
shouldn't mean anything different to any particular industry.
0
Reply matt 7/18/2007 2:19:26 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14541 articles. 55 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

curvature and radius of curvature of a plane curve
Hello, I want to calculate the local curvature (or radius of curvature) for a few point on outline on a picture, but how the hell am i suppose to do that ? Thanks, Kenneth Of course i want a way to do it in matlab... In article <ef5d840.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP>, bird <djbirdnerd@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to calculate the local curvature (or radius of curvature) for > a few point on outline on a picture, but how the hell am i suppose to > do that ? > > Thanks, > Kenneth ------------------ If your "outline" points' coor...

curvature and radius of curvature of a plane curve #2
Hello, I want to calculate the local curvature (or radius of curvature) for a few point on outline on a picture, but how the hell am i suppose to do that ? Thanks, Kenneth ...

curvature radius
Hi, I've been trying to find the curvature radius of my data set. x1=[x1(1) x1(2)....] y1=[y1(1) y1(2)....] x1 is just numbers, and the interval between x1(i) and x1(i+1) is constant like x1= [1 3 5 7...]. dx1=2 y1 is a vector (y coordinate of x1) which are variables. what I did (for getting curvature radius for each point) is as follows. suppose we wanna get curvature at x1(2) k1=(y1(3)-y1(1))/dx1 -> 1st derivative k2=((y1(3)-y1(2))/dx1-(y1(2)-y1(1))/dx1)/dx1 -> 2nd derivative r= (1+k2^2)^(3/2)/abs(k2) In this way, I could get r in term of y1(1), y1(2), ...

Radius of curvature
I have an arc of data points (scattered in x,y,z). The z value is approximately constant for a given y location. I want to know the radius of curvature of the arc. How can I find this? Thanks Chris Chris wrote: > > > I have an arc of data points (scattered in x,y,z). The z value is > approximately constant for a given y location. I want to know the > radius of curvature of the arc. How can I find this? > > Thanks > > Chris Knowing the coordinates of the data values you can compute the total arc length and the cord length (You may want to experiment with the many ...

2D maximum curvature
Dear all I am trying to find the point of maximum curvature on a 2D curve. This should be very simple I think! Does anyone have a code for this? Many thanks Dorothy Cowie Dorothy Cowie wrote: > > Dear all > I am trying to find the point of maximum curvature on a 2D curve. > This should be very simple I think! Does anyone have a code for > this? > Many thanks > Dorothy Cowie ---------------------- If your curve is given by two row vectors, x and y, you can approximate its curvature at each point by the reciprocal of the radius of a circumscribing triangle with that point...

radius of curvature from a grid
hi all iam new to matlab and have a query in reg to radius of curvature.I did read the other posts in reg to the same topic, but would want your suggestions/help anyways the height of a surface is given in a grid format i.e x y z (height) 0 0 2 0 1 4 0 2 3 ...... ....... with z not directly related to x and y and the equation of dependence i.e f(x,y) is not known the gradient was estimated by the del operator The radius of curvature is to be calculated; any help would be heartily accepted ...

find maximum radius of the object
Hi all, I need your help how to find maximum radius of the object where the object can regular (like circle, rectangle, etc) or irregular object.The radius count from center. please help me... regards ...

maximum curvature of Bezier curve
Hello, Is there a formula for estimation of the maximum of the bezier curve curvature from the control points (for third and second order bezier curves)? I do not want to solve the polynomial equation for that; I just want an approximate result which could be quickly calculated. Why I need this? I am drawing a shape, which is result of drawing of bezier curve with thick pen. The shape is drawn as a set of filled triangles. I would like to estimate bezier subdivision depth to have outline of the figure looking smooth enough on a raster device. Thank you, Sergey Tolstov "Sergey Tolstov&...

Local radius of curvature for a surface?
Hello all, I have a surface (can plot it with surf within MATLAB) and I am trying to calculate the local radius of curvature along a tangential direction to the surface at each point (of my surface). The surface is actually the outer surface of a human eye reconstructed in 3-D. Anybody would know how to do that with a simple way within MATLAB. I will appreciate any help here. Thanks a lot, Michael In article <ef5cef9.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP>, "Mick The Ouf" <miikkee@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello all, > > I have a surface (can plot it with surf within MATLA...

radius of curvature for wind tunnel
Hi im designing a wind tunnel and i have this curve for a part called the contraction. Ive got this function F(x)=-1.7068x^3+1.96947x^4-0.60599x^5+0.45 im using the limits of x>=0 and x<=1.3 y>=0 and y<=0.5 im trying to find the radius of curvature at two points of the curve to be able to enter the curve into a CAD program and then to be manufactured, but im confused how to do that. The first curve is convex leading to a straight line then to a concave curve. Is there a way of finding the coordinates of the center of curvature for this curve and radiu...

find maximum radius of the object #2
Hi all, I need your help how to find maximum radius of the object where the object can regular (like circle, rectangle, etc) or irregular object.The radius count from center. please help me... regards "zahra daffa" <zahra_daffa@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:hcr3vp$hqg$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi all, > I need your help > > how to find maximum radius of the object where the object can regular > (like circle, rectangle, etc) or irregular object.The radius count from > center. > > please help me... > > regards Which object are you talking...

radius of curvature and discrete data question
Hey, I have discrete data points (as x and y coordinates) which track the movement of an object over time. I need to calculate the radius of curvature of the set (over the time of the experiment). Is it possible to use the rcurve command from the Mapping Toolbox for this? Is there a better way? I have ~16 coordinates for each track, and need to calculate the radius of curvature for 50 to 100 tracks. Thanks in advance. TGte wrote: > > > Hey, > > I have discrete data points (as x and y coordinates) which track > the > movement of an object over time. I need to calculate...

radius of curvature for wind tunnel #2
Hi im designing a wind tunnel and i have this curve for a part called the contraction. Ive got this function F(x)=-1.7068x^3+1.96947x^4-0.60599x^5+0.45 im using the limits of x>=0 and x<=1.3 y>=0 and y<=0.5 im trying to find the radius of curvature at two points of the curve to be able to enter the curve into a CAD program and then to be manufactured, but im confused how to do that. The first curve is convex leading to a straight line then to a concave curve. Is there a way of finding the coordinates of the center of curvature for this curve and radiu...

Fast maximum curvature calculation for a 3d bezier curve
Hi, I have been looking at efficient ways of calculating the maximum curvature of a bezier curve, and so far have not found anything which I believe would be fast enough. I need to do this test for a hundreds of splines to determine if they are valid or not (curvature is less than some value). The method does not need to be a 100% accurate. Even a good close approximation would do. At the moment the fastest I could think of was subdiviosion using a flatness test and then calculating the curvature of the end points (end point curvature calculation does not seem to bad). In this way I am calcu...

Radius to Radius
I must be missing something simple, I guess. I have a part I'm trying to dimension that has a radius on both ends. Flat part with no straight sides where I want to dimensions. In Acad, you could type "quad" from the command line and pick the extreme edge of a radius, the using the "quad" command again, pick the opposite radius for a dimension from extreme to extreme. Is there something I'm missing? BTY, I'm using 2K3 R. Wink Hello towarts you. What you are able to try is able be done. Make first one dimensions from arc from to arc, but recalling to make p...

maximum
I'm looking for maximum func implimintation, i mean that i need to see her kod komukc wrote: > I'm looking for maximum func implimintation, i mean that i need to see > her kod fun x y -> if x > y then x else y -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Objective CAML for Scientists http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists ...

RADIUS
What's the point of a RADIUS when one can use the Access Point to act as an authenticator and process any authentication dicisions needed? ...

Maximum
Hi: Sorry, I had to start a new thread on the same subject, because some imbecile decided to add OT crap. I am asking a technical question. No offense but please don't bring in irrelevant topics [such as budget]. I was asking in terms of quality for human auditory perception. What are the maximum *practical* limits of the following for an FM synth: 1. Number of voices: 2. Operators per voice: 3. Number of channels**: **Yamaha's OPL3 has 18 channels quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YMF262 : "Twice as many channels (18 instead of 9)" Obviously the "...

Maximum
Hallo an alle!! Ich habe folgendes Problem: Ich habe eine Funktion f(a,b) definiert, die mir bei gegebenen a und b ein Doppelintgral berechnet, wobei ein Paramter a als Grenze dient und der andere als Paramter in der Funtion. Nun will ich jene Werte von a und b im einem vorgebenen Intervall haben, wo das Integral den maximalen Wert annimmt. Ich habe das jetzt so gel=F6st: M=3Dzeros(100,100); for i=3D1:100 for j=3D1:100 M(i,j)=3Df(i/10,j/10); end end v=3Dmax(M); l=F6sung=3Dmax(v) Das funktioniert, ist aber sehr uneffizient, da er lange rechnet. Das Doppelintegral habe i...

Curvature control vs Curvature tangency
.....and the million dollar answer is.....(ie on a spline what is the difference between how it control the look of it?) As I understand it, curvature control let you specify the curvature along your spline while curvature tangency is a constraint that ensures the curvature at the end of the spline matches the curvature of the other curve at the connection point (called C2-continuity, vsible with zebra stripes) Did I win the million ? -- Philippe Guglielmetti - www.dynabits.com Sorta. In normal unflavored parlance G1 (tangency) means there is not a sharp edge at the common edge shared b...

...Contains more than the maximum number of prefixes. The maximum is 3.
SQL Server 2000 8.00.760 (SP3) I've been working on a test system and the following UDF worked fine. It runs in the "current" database, and references another database on the same server called 127-SuperQuote. CREATE FUNCTION fnGetFormattedAddress(@WorkID int) RETURNS varchar(130) AS BEGIN DECLARE @Address1 As varchar(50) @ReturnAddress As varchar(130) SELECT @Address1 = [127-SuperQuote].dbo.tblCompany.Address1 FROM [Work] INNER JOIN [127-SuperQuote].dbo.tblCompany ON [Work].ClientID = [127-SuperQuote].dbo.tblCompany.CompanyID WHERE [Work].WorkID = @WorkID IF @Addr...

Difference between maximum likelihood and maximum aposterior probability
I also have question on basic concept difference between likelihood and probability. Thanks I have confused this for a while dgse said the following on 10/05/2007 06:31: > I also have question on basic concept difference between likelihood > and probability. Thanks > I have confused this for a while If x is the parameter we're trying to estimate, and y is our observation, then: ML is: argmax f(y|x) x MAP is: argmax f(x|y) x ML assumes nothing about the prior distribution of x (it will even work if x is deterministic). MAP requires prior knowledge of ...

RADIUS ?
Hi I am trying to set up an authentication system for my home wireless network that is more secure than a fixed encryption key. Is a RADIUS server the solution for it ? I have been trying to set up freeradius (version 0.9.3) on my desktop all morning but it always fails : ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freeradius --with-mcrypt=/usr/local/lib/libmcrypt/ --with-mhash=/usr/local/lib/libmhash/ --with-ltdl-lib=/usr/lib --with-system-libtool --with-threads --with-thread-pool --enable-ltdl-install --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc --with-rlm-rlm_eap_tls-lib-d...

Curvature
Hi, Is there a function that computes curvature along a curve? Thanks sharma sharma wrote: > > > Hi, > Is there a function that computes curvature along a curve? > Thanks > sharma Requesting the same question again! Any function that computes curvature along a curve? Thanks sharma ...