STL & SWX?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s)
of a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...

Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?

Thanks
0
Reply WC 10/25/2006 11:51:53 AM

See related articles to this posting

If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.

Mike

"WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
>
> Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
>
> Thanks

0
Reply Michael 10/25/2006 12:26:42 PM

SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for such an
endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?

Thanks

Michael Eckstein wrote:

> If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
> at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
>
> Mike
>
> "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> > a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
> >
> > Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Reply WC 10/25/2006 6:10:19 PM

STL is just raw triangles.  Most simpler programs like 3DSMAX and
Blender (a free, open source alternative) can import STL through a
plugin or natively.

>From there you can merge the vertices, flip any inverted normals, and
apply smoothing groups to get something looking like a surface.
Sometimes...  A lot of high density scanned models tend to have gaps in
them.  So you'll have to patch in some faces or flip some edges to get
a continuous mesh.

Blender has thorough documentation on their site and Max has a million
different books written for it, so learning shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.blender3d.org

WC wrote:
> SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for such an
> endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael Eckstein wrote:
>
> > If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
> > at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> > > a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
> > >
> > > Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
> > >
> > > Thanks

0
Reply deimos 10/25/2006 6:29:31 PM

Delcam has a Program Called PS Exchange. It will translate different solid
models. It says you can veiw the end result and pay per translation. I don't
know if this helps you.

--

Bill
www.partmaker.com

"deimos" <rmiller@kappers.us> wrote in message
> STL is just raw triangles.  Most simpler programs like 3DSMAX and
> Blender (a free, open source alternative) can import STL through a
> plugin or natively.
>
>>From there you can merge the vertices, flip any inverted normals, and
> apply smoothing groups to get something looking like a surface.
> Sometimes...  A lot of high density scanned models tend to have gaps in
> them.  So you'll have to patch in some faces or flip some edges to get
> a continuous mesh.
>
> Blender has thorough documentation on their site and Max has a million
> different books written for it, so learning shouldn't be too difficult.
>
> http://www.blender3d.org
>

> WC wrote:
>> SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for
>> such an
>> endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michael Eckstein wrote:
>>
>> > If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for
>> > looking
>> > at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
>> >
>> > Mike
>> >
>> > "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message

0
Reply Bill 10/27/2006 12:47:10 AM
comp.cad.solidworks 14541 articles. 55 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

STL & SWX?
I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'... Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)? Thanks If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking at. Very seldom will it knit to solid. Mike "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message news:tdI%g.22505$ta3.12051@tornado.texas.rr.com... > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of > a 1930's Ford, he said it...

To STL or not to STL
Hi there, I am interested to know if there are any C++ programmers who do not use STL. I have been coding in C++ for a year or so now, although only recently have I started a large(ish)-scale project. I do not use any STL, and I was wondering if there are any others out there that program in C++ without using STL? (Just to see if I am being stupid by not using it) Thanks Allan -- Allan Bruce Dept. of Computing Science University of Aberdeen Aberdeen AB24 3UE Scotland, UK Allan Bruce <allanmb@takeawayf2s.com> wrote: > I am interested to know if there are any C++ programmers who...

STL map to STL vector
Is it possible to simply (single statement) move the data from one container type (the TeamMap, below) to a different type of container (the TeamVector, below)? My data resides in the map object, but since I have to occasionally display the data in different orders (e.g. teamName, teamTypeCode), I must copy the data to a vector and sort it before producing my listings. I know that I can copy the individual objects from the map to the vector one-at-a-time, but I'm hoping that there's a technique that will do it simply and quickly. Any thoughts? TIA typedef m...

STL
I feel kinda dumb asking this but in my C++ studies I've never really gotten into the STL. What exactly is the standard template library and it's function? Bill -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- ...

SWx World
Phil Sluder and Ed Eaton are teaming up to do a SolidWorks World session to address your SolidWorks problems. In this session they will offer two (potentially differing) perspectives on how to work through problems submitted by SolidWorks users like you, and debate the merits/demerits of their approaches. This allows attendees to drive the agenda and get a 'second independent opinion' on each issue addressed. If you would like to see your SWx issues attacked by two experienced SolidWorks users, please post a zip file of your SWX parts/assemblies/ drawings along with a DETAILED text ...

To STL or not to?
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the general consensus is on STL these days. I think that if I remember right, several years ago, most people (if not everyone) I knew anyway stayed far away from it. I then switched to C# for several years and didn't worry about it much, but having switched back to more C++ work earlier this year, I was just wondering about that. =) One of my projects does make heavy use of various arrays where I am currently using custom made classes for that purpose and here I was just pondering if potentially STL may be a better idea. Any thoughts / sugg...

a stl map which use stl pair as the key
I have a a stl map which use stl pair as the key class A; type map< pair<int, int>, A> MyMap; if I have function which add entry to the map: void func(int x, int y, MyMap& map, A& a) { pair<int, int> key(x, y); map[key] = a; } My question is what should i do to free the pair key of the map to ensure there is no memory leak? Thank you. Allerdyce.John@gmail.com wrote: > I have a a stl map which use stl pair as the key .... > My question is what should i do to free the pair key of the map to > ensure there is no memory leak? You don't need to do anyt...

STL ??

STL ?
Hi, I am getting compiling error on the following line. I could not figure it out. Could someone please kindly help me fixing the error ? //////////////////////////// Error message //////////////////// bash-2.05b$ g++ test5c.cpp test5c.cpp:20: error: parse error before numeric constant test5c.cpp: In function `int main()': test5c.cpp:36: error: `11' cannot be used as a function test5c.cpp: At global scope: test5c.cpp:48: error: parse error before numeric constant ////////////////// Below is the code //////////////////////////////// #include<iostream> #include <string> #inc...

Segmentation Fault on stl::resize / stl::clear
I have segmentation fault when calling resize on an stl vector. I'm unsure if I'm doing something horribly wrong or if the stl is being dumb. The code breaks down like this: ------------------------------------- class Device { public: Device() { m_isBusy = false; m_timeCh = -1.0; m_timeService = 0.0; } // Device ~Device() {} private: bool m_isBusy; double m_timeCh; double m_timeService; }; class Queue { public: Queue() { m_totalNumber = 0; m_timeCh = 0.0; } // Queue /**** Destructor ****/ ~Queue() { clear(); } clear(); priv...