STL & SWX?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s)
of a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...

Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?

Thanks
0
Reply WC 10/25/2006 11:51:53 AM

See related articles to this posting

If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.

Mike

"WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
>
> Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
>
> Thanks

0
Reply Michael 10/25/2006 12:26:42 PM

SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for such an
endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?

Thanks

Michael Eckstein wrote:

> If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
> at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
>
> Mike
>
> "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> > a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
> >
> > Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Reply WC 10/25/2006 6:10:19 PM

STL is just raw triangles.  Most simpler programs like 3DSMAX and
Blender (a free, open source alternative) can import STL through a
plugin or natively.

>From there you can merge the vertices, flip any inverted normals, and
apply smoothing groups to get something looking like a surface.
Sometimes...  A lot of high density scanned models tend to have gaps in
them.  So you'll have to patch in some faces or flip some edges to get
a continuous mesh.

Blender has thorough documentation on their site and Max has a million
different books written for it, so learning shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.blender3d.org

WC wrote:
> SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for such an
> endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael Eckstein wrote:
>
> > If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
> > at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> > > a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
> > >
> > > Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
> > >
> > > Thanks

0
Reply deimos 10/25/2006 6:29:31 PM

Delcam has a Program Called PS Exchange. It will translate different solid
models. It says you can veiw the end result and pay per translation. I don't
know if this helps you.

--

Bill
www.partmaker.com

"deimos" <rmiller@kappers.us> wrote in message
> STL is just raw triangles.  Most simpler programs like 3DSMAX and
> Blender (a free, open source alternative) can import STL through a
> plugin or natively.
>
>>From there you can merge the vertices, flip any inverted normals, and
> apply smoothing groups to get something looking like a surface.
> Sometimes...  A lot of high density scanned models tend to have gaps in
> them.  So you'll have to patch in some faces or flip some edges to get
> a continuous mesh.
>
> Blender has thorough documentation on their site and Max has a million
> different books written for it, so learning shouldn't be too difficult.
>
> http://www.blender3d.org
>

> WC wrote:
>> SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for
>> such an
>> endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michael Eckstein wrote:
>>
>> > If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for
>> > looking
>> > at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
>> >
>> > Mike
>> >
>> > "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message

0
Reply Bill 10/27/2006 12:47:10 AM
comp.cad.solidworks 14477 articles. 55 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

STL & SWX?
I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'... Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)? Thanks If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking at. Very seldom will it knit to solid. Mike "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message news:tdI%g.22505$ta3.12051@tornado.texas.rr.com... > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of > a 1930's Ford, he said it...

To STL or not to STL
Hi there, I am interested to know if there are any C++ programmers who do not use STL. I have been coding in C++ for a year or so now, although only recently have I started a large(ish)-scale project. I do not use any STL, and I was wondering if there are any others out there that program in C++ without using STL? (Just to see if I am being stupid by not using it) Thanks Allan -- Allan Bruce Dept. of Computing Science University of Aberdeen Aberdeen AB24 3UE Scotland, UK Allan Bruce <allanmb@takeawayf2s.com> wrote: > I am interested to know if there are any C++ programmers who...

STL map to STL vector
Is it possible to simply (single statement) move the data from one container type (the TeamMap, below) to a different type of container (the TeamVector, below)? My data resides in the map object, but since I have to occasionally display the data in different orders (e.g. teamName, teamTypeCode), I must copy the data to a vector and sort it before producing my listings. I know that I can copy the individual objects from the map to the vector one-at-a-time, but I'm hoping that there's a technique that will do it simply and quickly. Any thoughts? TIA typedef m...

STL
I feel kinda dumb asking this but in my C++ studies I've never really gotten into the STL. What exactly is the standard template library and it's function? Bill -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- ...

SWx World
Phil Sluder and Ed Eaton are teaming up to do a SolidWorks World session to address your SolidWorks problems. In this session they will offer two (potentially differing) perspectives on how to work through problems submitted by SolidWorks users like you, and debate the merits/demerits of their approaches. This allows attendees to drive the agenda and get a 'second independent opinion' on each issue addressed. If you would like to see your SWx issues attacked by two experienced SolidWorks users, please post a zip file of your SWX parts/assemblies/ drawings along with a DETAILED text ...

To STL or not to?
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the general consensus is on STL these days. I think that if I remember right, several years ago, most people (if not everyone) I knew anyway stayed far away from it. I then switched to C# for several years and didn't worry about it much, but having switched back to more C++ work earlier this year, I was just wondering about that. =) One of my projects does make heavy use of various arrays where I am currently using custom made classes for that purpose and here I was just pondering if potentially STL may be a better idea. Any thoughts / sugg...

a stl map which use stl pair as the key
I have a a stl map which use stl pair as the key class A; type map< pair<int, int>, A> MyMap; if I have function which add entry to the map: void func(int x, int y, MyMap& map, A& a) { pair<int, int> key(x, y); map[key] = a; } My question is what should i do to free the pair key of the map to ensure there is no memory leak? Thank you. Allerdyce.John@gmail.com wrote: > I have a a stl map which use stl pair as the key .... > My question is what should i do to free the pair key of the map to > ensure there is no memory leak? You don't need to do anyt...

STL ??

STL ?
Hi, I am getting compiling error on the following line. I could not figure it out. Could someone please kindly help me fixing the error ? //////////////////////////// Error message //////////////////// bash-2.05b$ g++ test5c.cpp test5c.cpp:20: error: parse error before numeric constant test5c.cpp: In function `int main()': test5c.cpp:36: error: `11' cannot be used as a function test5c.cpp: At global scope: test5c.cpp:48: error: parse error before numeric constant ////////////////// Below is the code //////////////////////////////// #include<iostream> #include <string> #inc...

Segmentation Fault on stl::resize / stl::clear
I have segmentation fault when calling resize on an stl vector. I'm unsure if I'm doing something horribly wrong or if the stl is being dumb. The code breaks down like this: ------------------------------------- class Device { public: Device() { m_isBusy = false; m_timeCh = -1.0; m_timeService = 0.0; } // Device ~Device() {} private: bool m_isBusy; double m_timeCh; double m_timeService; }; class Queue { public: Queue() { m_totalNumber = 0; m_timeCh = 0.0; } // Queue /**** Destructor ****/ ~Queue() { clear(); } clear(); priv...

stl questions: how can I compare 2 stl list?
is there a better way to compare 2 stl list? I write a function like this below, but I wonder if there is a better way to achieve that (e.g. less code)? bool isSame(const list<int>& srcList, const list<int>& destList ) { if (srcList.size() != destList.size()) { return false; } int size = srcList.size(); for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) { if (srcList[i] != destList[i]) { return false; } } return true; } Thank you. silverburgh.meryl@gmail.com wrote: > is there a better way to compare 2 stl list? I write a function like > this below, but I wonder...

stl basic_string::clear() missing in platform sdk stl
Hi, I have been using the stl from the Visual Studio .NET 2003 up until recently. We use the member function string::clear() throughout the code. Recently, we moved to the latest platform sdk (Windows Server 2003 SP1) because we are porting to 64 bit systems and I need to use the cross compiler. The 64 bit environment provided withe the sdk runs setenv.cmd which updates the INCLUDE, LIB, PATH env variables etc. It points to its stl (sdk\include\crt and sdk\include\crt\sys. I'm assuming that I have to stick with this to get any potential 64-bit updates. The issue is that the clear...

Copy elements from one STL container to another STL container
How can I copy elements from one STL container to another STL container if a condition is met and if it find an element fails that condition, it stops the copying? I can't use the original copy<> algorithm since it does not take a binary operation. And I don't think I can use transform either since it does not stop if the binary operation return false. Please correct me if I am wrong or any ideas to my problem. Marko.Cain...@gmail.com wrote: > How can I copy elements from one STL container to another STL container > if a condition is met and if it find an element fails ...

STL map question : directed to stl map expert(s)....
Given the following: // map construction: map<string, CMyClass*> myMap; // construct next map key/element CMyClass* pMC = new CMyClass("MyDataMember"); string myString = "mystring"; // insert key/element into map; myMap[myString ] = pMC; QUESTION: after accessing an element via a key.. In addition to removing an element from the map using "erase()", do I still need to call delete on the "removed" object itself explicitly.. my access/erase/delete example ?????? CMyClass* p = myMap[myString]; myMap.erase(myString) delete p; If I am not on...

nested stl containers
I'm building a multi-dimensional array using std::vector and I want to know there's a way (without using old-fashioned pointers) to alias elements from one to another by reference rather than by value (and invoking possibly significant overhead from operator=). Using vector < vector< ... >& > invokes compiler errors. Example: vector< vector<unsigned> > foo; /* ... initialize elements of foo */ vector< vector<unsigned> > bar; bar[0] = foo[2]; // (*) bar[3] = foo[1]; // (*) /* ... continue initializing elements of bar */ Is there a way to do th...

Can I get the very same STL file if it is converted to VRML file and then converted to STL file again?
hi, guys I gotta a STL file A.stl. But I think it's too big to email. Then, I convert it to VRML file B.vrml. Finally, I want to use it again as a STL file C.stl. Then, do A.stl and C.stl have the exact precison? (or same geometry information) Actually, I want to use C.stl as the machining model. Therefore, I have to get the exactly same file as A.stl. How about JT file? almost same with VRML? I'm not familar with VRML format. But I'm very interested in it cuz it's much smaller in size than STL format. Thanks a lot, On 9 Sep 2005 14:34:27 -0700, "jave" <jav...

stl files
Does anybody know how to create STL files (http://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/STL_(file_format)) for rapid prototyping from normal raster files where for example a=fltarr(1000,1000) and the values of 'a' are the heights at that array point? Thanks On Jan 6, 1:50=A0am, geoff <oxfordenergyservi...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Does anybody know how to create STL files (http://en.wikipedia.org/ > wiki/STL_(file_format)) for rapid prototyping from normal raster files > where for example > a=3Dfltarr(1000,1000) and the values of 'a' are the heights at that > array point...

stl question
I wanted to write a *simple* function that would copy a wstring to a string. I know in theory this is dangerous but in my case I know I don't have any 16bit characters. Essentially the function looks like this bool copyto(std::string& l,std::wstring& r) { bool ret = false; size_t i = 0; const size_t n = r.length()+1; l.resize(n); // make sure we have enough for(;i<n;++i) { l[i] = r[i]; } l[i] = 0; l.resize(n-1); return ret; } so I have the following questions: 1. is there a better way to do this? 2. how do I check if memory...

Why STL does not have hash_table?
Hello all. I'm writing a program where hash table is required in C++. Hence, I searched for hash table/map implementation in STL, but I found that there's no such one. Though there is map which relies on red-black tree, but no hash table in the standard, which is quite surprising to me. Of course, SGI STL contains hash_table, and g++ have one, but both of them are *non-standard*. Anybody knows the reason? What did happen at the time STL specification was being written? Sincerely, Minkoo Seo [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.m...

Not STL newsgroup... Where?
Is there a newsgroup that discusses non STL matters of C++? (Preferably for GCC compilers). (By non STL matters I mean things like sockets etc.) BTW: Does this group talk about non STL matters? > BTW: Does this group talk about non STL matters? This group talks about C++ language and library. That is more than "STL matters". It does not talk about hardware. So questions on screen,keyboard,mouse etc are off-topic. It does not talk about particular compiler implementations, linking, using make etc So questions on installing VC++, VC++ switches, Borland compilers etc are off-to...

Swig and the STL

STL for loop ?

SWX Sheetmetal
I am unable to blank a component which has emboss Right. Generally, SW can only bend material, not stretch it. Lofted bends can handle a little stretching, but that's it. You can create a sheet metal part with emboss features, but the flat pattern will not flatten the emboss features. The result is a flat pattern for all of the bends that includes the finished emboss feature. Although not perfect, this is relatively useful for making the sheet metal part and properly placing the emboss feature. -- - John John Eric Voltin Mechanical Engineer Agile Technology 512-633-0394 &qu...

Symbian and STL
Hi Does anyone have any idea on why Symbian doesn't use STL ? And if I port a STL version, are there any systemic issues with its C++ compiler port that would make this difficult to do ? Thanks & Regards Ragnar [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] In article news:<9c9f486f.0411260412.5b67d45d@posting.google.com>, Ragnar wrote: > Does anyone have any idea on why Symbian doesn't use STL ? One reason is that Symbian OS was designed using a (now) very old version of gcc that...

STL for_each
Hi, I am having some problems with for_each: class Universe { public: bool CheckIsValidImprovement( Improvement* ); bool ValidateTech(); list<TechImprovement> techImprovements }; class Improvement { }; class TechImprovement : public Improvement { }; I have written a bool Universe::ValidateTech() { for( it = techImprovements.begin(); it != techImprovements.end();it++) if( ! CheckIsValidImprovement(&(*it)) ) return false; return true; } but I'd like to write it as a for_each or a find_if for practice but am struggling with the error msgs! fin...