STL & SWX?

I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s)
of a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...

Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?

Thanks
0
WC
10/25/2006 11:51:53 AM
comp.cad.solidworks 14465 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.

Mike

"WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
>
> Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
>
> Thanks

0
Michael
10/25/2006 12:26:42 PM
SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for such an
endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?

Thanks

Michael Eckstein wrote:

> If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
> at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
>
> Mike
>
> "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> > a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
> >
> > Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
> >
> > Thanks

0
WC
10/25/2006 6:10:19 PM
STL is just raw triangles.  Most simpler programs like 3DSMAX and
Blender (a free, open source alternative) can import STL through a
plugin or natively.

>From there you can merge the vertices, flip any inverted normals, and
apply smoothing groups to get something looking like a surface.
Sometimes...  A lot of high density scanned models tend to have gaps in
them.  So you'll have to patch in some faces or flip some edges to get
a continuous mesh.

Blender has thorough documentation on their site and Max has a million
different books written for it, so learning shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.blender3d.org

WC wrote:
> SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for such an
> endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael Eckstein wrote:
>
> > If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
> > at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> > > a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
> > >
> > > Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
> > >
> > > Thanks

0
deimos
10/25/2006 6:29:31 PM
Delcam has a Program Called PS Exchange. It will translate different solid
models. It says you can veiw the end result and pay per translation. I don't
know if this helps you.

--

Bill
www.partmaker.com

"deimos" <rmiller@kappers.us> wrote in message
> STL is just raw triangles.  Most simpler programs like 3DSMAX and
> Blender (a free, open source alternative) can import STL through a
> plugin or natively.
>
>>From there you can merge the vertices, flip any inverted normals, and
> apply smoothing groups to get something looking like a surface.
> Sometimes...  A lot of high density scanned models tend to have gaps in
> them.  So you'll have to patch in some faces or flip some edges to get
> a continuous mesh.
>
> Blender has thorough documentation on their site and Max has a million
> different books written for it, so learning shouldn't be too difficult.
>
> http://www.blender3d.org
>

> WC wrote:
>> SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for
>> such an
>> endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michael Eckstein wrote:
>>
>> > If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for
>> > looking
>> > at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
>> >
>> > Mike
>> >
>> > "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message

0
Bill

stl questions: how can I compare 2 stl list?
is there a better way to compare 2 stl list? I write a function like this below, but I wonder if there is a better way to achieve that (e.g. less code)? bool isSame(const list<int>& srcList, const list<int>& destList ) { if (srcList.size() != destList.size()) { return false; } int size = srcList.size(); for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) { if (srcList[i] != destList[i]) { return false; } } return true; } Thank you. silverburgh.meryl@gmail.com wrote: > is there a better way to compare 2 stl list? I write a function like > this below, but I wonder...

Is there any Matrix in the STL?
Hi, Is there any kind of "std::matrix<>" in the STL that is optimized for matrix operations, or do I have to do a std::vector< std::vector<someType> > myMatrix; Best regards Daniel On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:06:23 +0100, DeMarcus wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there any kind of "std::matrix<>" in the STL that is optimized > for matrix operations, or do I have to do a > std::vector< std::vector<someType> > myMatrix; IMO, multiple dimension arrays in C and C++ are a pain in the ass, an issue that should have been addresse...

STL ?
Hi, I am getting compiling error on the following line. I could not figure it out. Could someone please kindly help me fixing the error ? //////////////////////////// Error message //////////////////// bash-2.05b$ g++ test5c.cpp test5c.cpp:20: error: parse error before numeric constant test5c.cpp: In function `int main()': test5c.cpp:36: error: `11' cannot be used as a function test5c.cpp: At global scope: test5c.cpp:48: error: parse error before numeric constant ////////////////// Below is the code //////////////////////////////// #include<iostream> #include <string> #inc...

How to write the transform equivalent in STL?
I have the following code snippet: class converter { // ... public: virtual polar_point convert_to_polar(const point&) = 0; }; void f(const std::vector<point>& points, converter& cvt) { vector<polar_point> polarpoints(points.size()); for (unsigned int i = 0; i < points.size(); ++i) { polarpoints[i] = cvt.convert(points[i]); } print_points(polarpoints); // ... } I'd like to replace the for loop with an appropriate std::transform call. But I can't figure out...

swx is SO SLOW
X-No-Archive: Yes sure swx corp said they were concentrating on the program to make it faster. they said it. did it happen? no. does good ol' bob z. still have to WAIT for the dimension dialog box to show and then WAIT before he types in a dimension? yes, he does. if he doesn't wait, the decimal point, numbers, etc all just get lost in some sort of black hole. is anyone seeing this? it happens in swx2008 and swx2009. no, it can't be. not in swx2009! that program is like FAST. just ask any swx salesman. so why is this happening? bob zee wrote: > X-No-Archive: Yes &...

To STL or not to STL
Hi there, I am interested to know if there are any C++ programmers who do not use STL. I have been coding in C++ for a year or so now, although only recently have I started a large(ish)-scale project. I do not use any STL, and I was wondering if there are any others out there that program in C++ without using STL? (Just to see if I am being stupid by not using it) Thanks Allan -- Allan Bruce Dept. of Computing Science University of Aberdeen Aberdeen AB24 3UE Scotland, UK Allan Bruce <allanmb@takeawayf2s.com> wrote: > I am interested to know if there are any C++ programmers who...

Fortran2003 and STL
When f2003 arrives will it have enough facilities for the STL (Standard Template Library) to be implemented? Is so would it be desirable, if not what is the mechanism by which standard data-structures (e.g. list, queue, stack, tree, map, set, ...) will made available to fortran programmers? You can have a look at http://flibs.sf.net to see how you can already do that with Fortran 90/95. Perhaps not as elegantly (and my code is not at all complete :)), but there are surely enough mechanisms to provide a clean (!) implementation. Regards, Arjen simon@whiteowl.co.uk wrote: > When f2003 a...

stl vector help
if I have: vector<Car*> car; vector<Car*>::iterator cari; for(cari = car.begin(); cari != car.end(); cari++) { *(cari)->printDetails(); } where printDetails() is a function in class Car why can I not comple this code the error? I get is: main.cpp: In function `int main()': main.cpp:75: error: base operand of `->' has non-pointer type `Car' * Greg: > if I have: > > > vector<Car*> car; > > vector<Car*>::iterator cari; > for(cari = car.begin(); cari != car.end(); cari++) > { > *(cari)->printDetails(); > ...

wxWindows and STL
Hello, I've been working on a wxWindows app, and I'd now like to integrate some existing code which uses the STL namespace. (I'm using MSVC6). The code uses the multimap class, string and vector. I tried just plugging the two together, and I get complaints about the stdafx.h include; lashes of warning messages if I omit it also. These last seem to happen as soon as I do the 'using namespace std'. There must be some guidance on how to use the STL with wxWindows -- can someone point me in the right direction? (It ought to be in the docs, surely?) Many th...

Patch 2 STL
I would like to generate a STL file from a Matlab patch object (I know there exist script for surf 2 STL, and STL 2 patch) Is there anybody that knows how to do it? Thanks, L.T. Luciano Teresi wrote: > I would like to generate a STL file from a Matlab patch object (I > know there exist script for surf 2 STL, and STL 2 patch) > > Is there anybody that knows how to do it? > > Thanks, > L.T. if text output okay, try: function stl_write(fv, name) %routine to creat stl file from FV structure array % fv is face-vertex structure array % name is the file name (character str...

lower case in the STL
I've always wondered why the standards chose to go with lower case class names in the STL. Can anyone shed some light on this decision? [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 19:32 -0500, lindahlb@hotmail.com wrote: > I've always wondered why the standards chose to go with lower case > class names in the STL. Can anyone shed some light on this decision? Innate superiority, of course. Actually I think it's as simple as "because the C standard library ...

STL map to STL vector
Is it possible to simply (single statement) move the data from one container type (the TeamMap, below) to a different type of container (the TeamVector, below)? My data resides in the map object, but since I have to occasionally display the data in different orders (e.g. teamName, teamTypeCode), I must copy the data to a vector and sort it before producing my listings. I know that I can copy the individual objects from the map to the vector one-at-a-time, but I'm hoping that there's a technique that will do it simply and quickly. Any thoughts? TIA typedef m...

Segmentation Fault on stl::resize / stl::clear
I have segmentation fault when calling resize on an stl vector. I'm unsure if I'm doing something horribly wrong or if the stl is being dumb. The code breaks down like this: ------------------------------------- class Device { public: Device() { m_isBusy = false; m_timeCh = -1.0; m_timeService = 0.0; } // Device ~Device() {} private: bool m_isBusy; double m_timeCh; double m_timeService; }; class Queue { public: Queue() { m_totalNumber = 0; m_timeCh = 0.0; } // Queue /**** Destructor ****/ ~Queue() { clear(); } clear(); priv...

STL stack initialization
Hi, I want to store struct on an STL stack. My code: struct info { list< ClassA* >::const_iterator itBegin; list< ClassA* >::const_iterator itEnd; bool b; int c; ClassB *ptrB; }; int foo() { .... stack< info > myStack; .... } When the program is compiled with gcc 3.4.6 and -O0, everything works fine. However, when I compile the program with -O3 and run it, the program execution does not finish but runs out of control and consumes all my free RAM. I used ddd to debug the program. When the initialization of "myStack" is performed, th...

stl iterator question
Hi, my program contains a class with a STL vector std::vector<int> data and an integer variable "currentbit" which indicates the current position while traversing the vector. In my function first() I'm searching for a particular value and save the position in "currentbit". Within another function next() I'd like to continue searching beginning in the vector at position "currentbit". My idea was to create an iterator: vector<int>::const_iterator iter = *data[currentbit+1] but the compiler complains: invalid type argument of `unary *' ...

Is STL iterator singleton ?
Is iterators singleton? I am accessing a map through wrapper functions to it; that allow me to access the contents of the map as CUnit &unit = hash.getFirstunit(); while(hash.hasMoreunits()) { unit = hash.getNextUnit(); } Thats all about it. A call to getFirstUnit will initialize the iterator. hasMoreUnits will move the iterator one unit forward and hasNextUnit will access the next one and so on. [just a side note, i was trying to implement a hastable with map and set, so that each branch of the hash is a set protruding from a map element.] All fine unitl now. I have another funct...

STL question
Is there any way to use the STL algorithm for_each if my container contains pointers? For example, class A { int a; virtual void print (void) {cout << a << endl;} }; class B: public A { int b; virtual void print (void) {cout << a << "," << b << endl;} } I want to have a list that I can call print() on for each member, so I figured vector <A*>. Is there anyway to get the following with for_each? vector <A*>::iterator i; for (i=list.begin(); i<list.end(); ++i) (*i)->print(); Russ Rusty wrote: > Is there any way to use ...

Under what circumstances can the STL move a vector?
I've got a memory overwrite problem, and it looks as if a vector has been moved, even though I haven't inserted or deleted any elements in it. Is this possible? In other words, are there any circumstances in which the STL will move a vector, or invalidate iterators to elements in the vector, if you don't insert or remove elements? My actual problem seems to be as follows: I have class X, which contains an STL vector. The constructor does very little, and leaves the vector empty. X has no assignment or copy ctors: class X { ... vector<wibble> wvec; }; I also have a hea...

[ace-users] Re: is class ACE_Malloc realize realized like STL allocator?
Hi, ACE_Malloc basically implements the memory allocation algorithm shown in the K&R book on C <http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/>. I believe that this algorithm implements a "first fit" allocation/deallocation strategy. There are pros and cons to this approach. Take care, Doug >> When user need to allocate a memory from allocator In STL, allocator >> will round the real size up to 0x01<<n. For example if you need 40bytes >> memory, allocator will allocate 64 bytes to you. STL maintain 16 lists >> of re...

STL
I feel kinda dumb asking this but in my C++ studies I've never really gotten into the STL. What exactly is the standard template library and it's function? Bill -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- ...

STL slower than C
On the thread regarding C and C# performance, Rune Allnor said: > The STL is a compromise between ease of use, safety and > functionality. > It is well known that the run-time performance of the STL can be > beaten by traditional C-style constructs. It is up to the coder to > balance the conveniences offered by the STL against the raw > performance of more 'primitive' coding styles. I was wondering, can anyone give examples of specific cases which demonstrate STL slowness in comparison to C. I'm also curious as to which programming idioms can improve STL efficie...

STL ??

Associative sequence STL container?
I am new to STL, so appologizes if this is a FAQ. If so, just point me to the appropriate answer. I am in need of an STL container that is both associative AND sequential. In other words, I need a container that preserves order, but can also be quickly accessed by a key value (in my case a string). Does this sort of thing already exist in STL or is such a container available somewhere else? My first instict is to build a new container that combines a vector<_T> or list<_T> for storage, and a (multi)map<string, _T*>, and keeps the two in sync. But someone must have built suc...

Manipulating .3ds or .stl files
Dear all, Supposed that I have a 3D human face model which is in .3ds and .stl format. Is there any functions in matlab which can rotate the model in the direction I define, and 'snapshot' it into a 2D image? Thanks in advance. cloudet wrote: > > > Dear all, > Supposed that I have a 3D human face model which is in .3ds and > .stl > format. Is there any functions in matlab which can rotate the model > in > the direction I define, and 'snapshot' it into a 2D image? > > Thanks in advance. > > If you have a 3D model in stl format, then you...

STL headers
I would like platform independant STL header files that do not contain implementations but only class definitions that consist of only member function declarations. The purpose of these would be to allow parsing. What I am looking for essentially, is an electronic form of class definitions as given in C++ in a nutshell. Would anyone know where I can download these headers from if they exist ? ...