STL & SWX?

I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s)
of a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...

Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?

Thanks
0
WC
10/25/2006 11:51:53 AM
comp.cad.solidworks 14446 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.

Mike

"WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
>
> Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
>
> Thanks

0
Michael
10/25/2006 12:26:42 PM
SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for such an
endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?

Thanks

Michael Eckstein wrote:

> If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
> at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
>
> Mike
>
> "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> > a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
> >
> > Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
> >
> > Thanks

0
WC
10/25/2006 6:10:19 PM
STL is just raw triangles.  Most simpler programs like 3DSMAX and
Blender (a free, open source alternative) can import STL through a
plugin or natively.

>From there you can merge the vertices, flip any inverted normals, and
apply smoothing groups to get something looking like a surface.
Sometimes...  A lot of high density scanned models tend to have gaps in
them.  So you'll have to patch in some faces or flip some edges to get
a continuous mesh.

Blender has thorough documentation on their site and Max has a million
different books written for it, so learning shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.blender3d.org

WC wrote:
> SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for such an
> endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael Eckstein wrote:
>
> > If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for looking
> > at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > > I've little experience with STL files, I have a friend with STL file(s) of
> > > a 1930's Ford, he said it's 'over a million triangles and super noisy'...
> > >
> > > Is SWX2006 or 2007 capable of doing anything with such STL file(s)?
> > >
> > > Thanks

0
deimos
10/25/2006 6:29:31 PM
Delcam has a Program Called PS Exchange. It will translate different solid
models. It says you can veiw the end result and pay per translation. I don't
know if this helps you.

--

Bill
www.partmaker.com

"deimos" <rmiller@kappers.us> wrote in message
> STL is just raw triangles.  Most simpler programs like 3DSMAX and
> Blender (a free, open source alternative) can import STL through a
> plugin or natively.
>
>>From there you can merge the vertices, flip any inverted normals, and
> apply smoothing groups to get something looking like a surface.
> Sometimes...  A lot of high density scanned models tend to have gaps in
> them.  So you'll have to patch in some faces or flip some edges to get
> a continuous mesh.
>
> Blender has thorough documentation on their site and Max has a million
> different books written for it, so learning shouldn't be too difficult.
>
> http://www.blender3d.org
>

> WC wrote:
>> SW sounds almost worthless then. What would be appropriate software for
>> such an
>> endevor? Can STL files be "split" into managable chunks?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michael Eckstein wrote:
>>
>> > If you are lucky you can import to SWX and get a graphical image for
>> > looking
>> > at. Very seldom will it knit to solid.
>> >
>> > Mike
>> >
>> > "WC" <wc@nomail.com> wrote in message