The Ultimate SolidWorks PC for under $6000

I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
guidelines that I know of right now:

Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
the limit to speed for most of the work.
Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.
More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
necessary?)
SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.

What about dual processors?

Thanks for the help guys and gals.
0
info
11/26/2003 7:56:27 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14465 articles. 56 followers. Post Follow

If it is for a work station, where in the files are stored on a remote
server, then a local 10,000 rpm IDE drive will out perform a scsi drive on
multiple files. Please include a 1G network card too! I would check with SW
about the dual processor option though.
"Steve Fye" <info@rhapsodydesignsolutions.com> wrote in message
> I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
> workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
> suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
> guidelines that I know of right now:
>
> Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
> the limit to speed for most of the work.
> Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.
> More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
> necessary?)
> SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
> times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.
>
> What about dual processors?
>
> Thanks for the help guys and gals.

0
pete

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C3B422.C75EEA80

SATA(Serial ATA) HardDrives(Specifically the 10,000 RPM Western Digital =
36GB) have the fastest data transfer times.

Look for a motherboard with 6 dimm slots so you can run 3GB of DDR Ram.

If I were building today, I'd use an AMD processor.

The newest nvidia video cards(FX3000G, FX3000, FX2000, FX1000, and =
FX500) are approved for SolidWorks 2004.
1. FX3000's =3D Approx. $1,500 - $2,000
2. FX2000 - FX1000 =3D $1,200 - $1,500
3. FX500 =3D $299

Prices change all the time.

Go to www.tomshardware.com for lots of info about computers.

Best Regards,
Devon T. Sowell
www.3-ddesignsolutions.com

  "Steve Fye" <info@rhapsodydesignsolutions.com> wrote in message =
  I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
  workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
  suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
  guidelines that I know of right now:

  Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
  the limit to speed for most of the work.
  Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.
  More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
  necessary?)
  SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
  times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.

  What about dual processors?

  Thanks for the help guys and gals.
------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C3B422.C75EEA80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>SATA(Serial =
ATA)&nbsp;HardDrives(Specifically the=20
10,000 RPM Western Digital 36GB) have the fastest data transfer=20
times.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Look for a motherboard with 6 dimm =
slots so you can=20
run 3GB of DDR Ram.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I were building today, I'd use =
an&nbsp;AMD=20
processor.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The newest nvidia video cards(FX3000G, =
FX3000,=20
FX2000, FX1000, and FX500) are approved for SolidWorks =
2004.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. FX3000's&nbsp;=3D Approx. $1,500 -=20
$2,000</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. FX2000 - FX1000 =3D $1,200 - =
$1,500</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. FX500 =3D $299</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Prices change all the =
time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Go to <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tomshardware.com">www.tomshardware.com</A> for lots =
of info=20
about computers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Devon T. Sowell</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.3-ddesignsolutions.com">www.3-ddesignsolutions.com</A>=
</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Steve Fye" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:info@rhapsodydesignsolutions.com">info@rhapsodydesignsolut=
ions.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:2e772407.0311261156.5d58a52e@posting.google.com">news:2e7724=
07.0311261156.5d58a52e@posting.google.com</A>...</DIV>I=20
  have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a=20
  SolidWorks<BR>workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.&nbsp; =
Can I get=20
  some good<BR>suggestions from the group on this?&nbsp; Here are some =
of the=20
  basic<BR>guidelines that I know of right now:<BR><BR>Video card to be =
the best=20
  possible since this is probably going to be<BR>the limit to speed for =
most of=20
  the work.<BR>Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest =
available.<BR>More=20
  than likely will have &gt;1G of RAM (what speed and=20
  considerations<BR>necessary?)<BR>SCSI hard drive may be considered, =
but not a=20
  major concern as load<BR>times are not a major issue with the type of =
work=20
  being done.<BR><BR>What about dual processors?<BR><BR>Thanks for the =
help guys=20
  and gals.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C3B422.C75EEA80--

0
Devon
11/26/2003 9:38:37 PM
Oooooh... $6000 is a LOT of PC these days.  For that amount of money,
here is what I would suggest:

2X - AMD Athlon 64 FX51	       $1598
1X - Tyan K8W (Dual Opteron MB)	$449
2GB - PC3200 DDR RAM (4 X 512MB)	$522
2X - 10k RPM Western Digital 36GB	$260
1X - PNY Quadro FX 3000           $1730
1X - DVD/CD Burner                $250
1X - Good Case/Power Supply       $250
Floppy/keyboard/mouse/sound...    $300

Total (less taxes and S&H) NO MONITOR	$5359

This is pretty much the best system money can buy at the moment.  Almost
nothing can touch it in terms of raw performance, Plus is is ready for
64 bit computing when that happens.

All for under $6000, boy this was fun...drool...

--
Arlin
(remove '351' from email to reply)
0
Arlin
11/26/2003 10:17:00 PM
Slightly off topic, but may help Steve! Does anyone have experience with
running Solidworks 2004 on the new Opteron or Athlon64 processors? I'm also
looking to put together a new workstation in the next month and my current
thoughts are:
Athlon 3200+ running at 400mhz FSB
2Gb RAM matched to the motherboard - as fast as poss.
SATA main HD (RAID 0 them sounds like a recipe for problems and I don't have
the money for a fast / redundant RAID) - no running over networks required.
quadro 980XGL video card
a 20" dell TFT monitor ( I already have a 21" old CRT monitor that can be
used as a second unit)

I figured this gave me the best "bang for the buck" at around �1600
excluding monitor and would make a blindingly fast Solidworks machine for
most modelling tasks, but my local computer dude is trying to persuade me to
go for a 64bit processor (he's an AMD fan) and I am wondering if it is worth
stretching the extra dosh for a twin processor MB and a set of  Athlon 64's
(I aim to be doing some rendering / animation work as well - hence the twin
processor gig, I understand Solidworks doesn't gain from having 2
processors?)

would going for one of the new 64bit processors gain anything over the 3200+
(not working on a "bang for buck" scenario) - most of the results on the
Toms hardware page seem very software dependent and they don't use the
Solidoworks benchmark in their tests!
Hope this provides some side illumination and best of luck with the spec
Steve!
Regards
Deri

"Steve Fye" <info@rhapsodydesignsolutions.com> wrote in message
> I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
> workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
> suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
> guidelines that I know of right now:
>
> Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
> the limit to speed for most of the work.
> Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.
> More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
> necessary?)
> SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
> times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.
>
> What about dual processors?
>
> Thanks for the help guys and gals.

0
Deri
11/26/2003 10:24:27 PM
I look at system performance as a means to get past bottlenecks. There are
many sources of bottleneck. You can buy a fast system and load it down with
many unecessary processes and then wonder why it is so slow. You can put
your CAD box on a network backbone forcing it to look at every packet that
flows by on a busy network, thus slowing it down. The ultimate system may
very well be a "fast box" to run SW and a slow box to run Office and other
programs not related to CAD, tied together with a KVM switch.

Steve Fye wrote:

> I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
> workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
> suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
> guidelines that I know of right now:
>
> Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
> the limit to speed for most of the work.

Probably not. CPU and I/O performance will limit your speed. You will run
into this bottleneck in parts that have a great deal of "swoopy surfaces",
fillets, draft or other complex geometry, in assemblies with lots of
overdefined mates or flexible sub assemblies with lots of configurations to
manage and in drawings of large assemblies, drawings having many section
views or other compute intesive processes. A fast graphics card will
probably not help much on a drawing and drawings are where it all comes
together to slow down a system.

> Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.

Well, you better consider chipset here. Look at http://www.anandtech.com and
http://www.tomshardware.com for reviews of various motherboards, chipsets
and memory.

Also consider going to 64 bit computing. AMD makes 64 bit processors that
will surpass the latest Pentiums in the 32 bit realm.

> More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
> necessary?)

Consider the ability of the OS to utilize RAM as well if you have more than
1 GB.

> SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
> times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.

SCSI may help but also consider your networks involvement. Will you need a
fiberoptic network connection to a server to prevent bottlenecks there?

> What about dual processors?

Waste of money.

> Thanks for the help guys and gals.

0
kellnerp

Unusual Ultimate Ultimotion Ultimation
William, I czeched the VCA, and it appears to not have any damn extension AND it does 64K at 640x480. http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/video/Vid_Capture.html You reported and posted a capture with the VCA, but did you try video and audio (with the ACP?). The AM/2 is aggravating, but perhaps it's not the all-in-all. Hi! > William, I czeched the VCA, and it appears to not have any damn > extension AND it does 64K at 640x480. I think you're right on that front. I mentioned that way back when I first started playing with it. It looks to shuttle video da...

Need help on FC6 install with new PC.
I went and bought a new Intel MB (DQ965GF) with 4 SATA drives. I downloaded the FC6 ISO and burned a DVD. Totally clean install, all new everything. Select Laug/KB US.. Next screen says, "Installation Method" "What type of media contains the package to be install.." "Local CDROM/HD/HFS img/FTP/HTTP". This is an odd one. Never seen this one. why if your installing from a ISO image on DVD would it ask that?? If it just mounted the temp image from the DVD, where else would the packages be?? I select "Local CDROM". Next screen sa...

Cannot See Other PC on Wireless Network
I'm really stumped with a networking problem. I have a PC with XP Media centre and a PC with ME, with a peer-to-peer wireless network between them. The wireless network cards are working fine - they can both see each other. Both PCs have unique names and the same workgroup name, but neither will see the other. When the wireless network is connected My Network Places on each PC only shows itself - i.e. each PC cannot see the other. I've also tried it with my firewall on and off - no difference. I've also tried setting the main PC as a wireless access point - same result. I...

US-TX-Austin: Business Analyst, 3-5yrs exp., PC usage, develop bus. plans; (45346632408)
US-TX-Austin: Business Analyst, 3-5yrs exp., PC usage, develop bus. plans; (45346632408) ======================================================================================== Position: Business Analyst Reference: SMC01171 Location: Austin TX Duration: Skills: 3-5 years experience in business process management and/or systems development desired Solid understanding of IT processes, strong analytical skills, and the ability to understand business processes at a detailed level E...

PC/104 ethernet cards for $15 @ HSC
Hi, I was in Halted Specialties Corp. in Santa Clara, CA (www.halted.com), last week and they have Advantech PCM-3660 boards for $15. It's a PC/104 Ethernet board with a 10Mbps Realtek RTL8019AS chip on it. It's not a spectacularly special card by any means, but since PC/104 hardware tends to be pricey I thought I'd mention this deal. -Jonathan >Hi, >I was in Halted Specialties Corp. in Santa Clara, CA (www.halted.com), >last week and they have Advantech PCM-3660 boards for $15. It's a >PC/104 Ethernet board with a 10Mbps Realtek RTL8019AS chip on it. It...

Solidworks Cosmosworks help
We have network versions of Solidworks Office Premium 2008 sp4. I have tried to run a thermal study but I do not see all of the options available for type of study. Only Static comes up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! "mvalenti@implantsciences.com" <mechdesign2k4@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 2c29b4fa-03f9-4efb-9931-c7a719b15018@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > We have network versions of Solidworks Office Premium 2008 sp4. I have > tried to run a thermal study but I do not see all of the options > available for type of study. Only Static ...

PC Disc name problem fixed yet?
In trying to copy from one 1.44MB floppy to another on my one-floppy RPC, it failed continually asking me to insert disc 'Untitled'. The machine had decided to rename the floppy Bg. I aborted the copy process and after dismounting the floppy, using the menu option on the floppy icon, named the disc 'Piccies' and tried again. I catalogued the disc and it showed as 'piccies' but when I tried the copy again, it then showed as Bg. I have just formatted the two floppies I was using, on my XP machine and it showed the first as 08_46_Thu as expected but the second showed as pi...

need to convert 3ds files to solidworks, any suggestions ?
I saw this old post... "ShapeWorks Add On will have capabilities of opening 3DS files in SolidWorks in the next release." www.baren-boym.com Mike Wilson Try Deep Exploration (www.righthemisphere.com) as they have a variety of translators - from 3ds to STL is OK, then import that. they also have a CAD add-on that deals with Solidworks files, but I haven't used that. Also try Polytrans For a shareware sol, try www.axelero.hu/karpo where there is a nifty 3D converter for all sorts of weird files. Best of luck Deri "Alex" <alex@@ventcroft.co.uk> wrote in mes...

An all-in-one Toolkit Ultimate

Home Network
I have 4 PCs - 3 are wired, one is wireless. It was all working flawlessly until this afternoon when all HECK broke loose. I have no idea what happened, but all of a sudden the wireless PC stopped accessing the network. I've tried to release/renew the IP and all it pcks up is APIPA. Here's the rundown on the network: Belkin Cable Modem==>Belkin Router | | | | #1Win2k #2Win2k #3WinXP #4WinXP wired wired wired wireless I...

FA: ENDS Soon Learn to READ with thumbelina on your PC
see details from link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7137571951&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT -- Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AUCTI0NST0P For Children's Games, Educational, Language & Recreational Software ...

Clock Synchronization of PC and FPGA
Hi Fellow, I want to send data to FPGA and store in register in FPGA sequentially. In my design it is required to take 12 input from the data bus in 12 different clock pluse one by one then I have to start processing data in FPGA and then the result after performing calculations is to be taking out of FPGA. The problem which I am facing is syncronization of clock. B/C I am downloading data using C code. In FPGA I have defined 100 MHz clock frqeuency and my processor is working on 2 GHz. SO if I have to send 12 data signals to FPGA then it will be taking input much slowly as compared to PC spe...

Is the Ultimate version of Microsoft Ultimate 64 bit?
I saw a demo showing a 64 bit application run over three times faster than its 32 bit counterpart. The 64 bit application makes more efficent use of RAM and goes to disk less often. Is the $399 version of the Ultimate version of Microsoft Vista 64 bit? If not how much does it cost? Can Leopard run BOTH 32bit and 64bit applications? I wonder if the 64 bit thing explains why that Intel guy was at WWDC. Thanks. gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com wrote: > I saw a demo showing a 64 bit application run over three times faster > than its 32 bit counterpart. > > The 64 bit applicatio...

Is Solidworks losing "VA"Rs?
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=409369 Is a retraining program needed? Jeff, I guess I missed your point. This thread has to do with the shortcomings of Inventor. What do SolidWorks "VA"Rs have to do with it? CG "Jeff Howard" <jeff4136@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:TEZre.4862$jX6.672@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net... > http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=409369 > > Is a retraining program needed? Well, it was great to see people, using other 3d cad programs having problems too. I thought I was alon...

Computer wargames before the PC
Hi, Currently reading Nicholas Palmer=92s book =93The comprehensive guide to board wargaming=94, written in 1980, and he has a short, but very interesting chapter on computer wargaming. There=92s stuff in there for various topics on which I=92ll bore you some other time but I first wanted to type something up about a company called the Flying Buffalo Company and their game called StarWeb. Basically it was a multi-player wargame with hidden movement and combat adjudicated by a computer at the company. You as the gamer put your orders on paper in a stylized format, mailed them to the ...

My ultimate 9585
Well except for the Upgrade it is running the P90 however I finally got it with dual 1.44 floppy drives, 1 toshiba scsi cdrom, 1 ricoh cd-writer, 1 8gig scsi IBM hard drive, 1 external zip disk drive, 128meg ram running Win95b. Using an XGA 2 card, chipchat sound card and running nero to burn cd's. Running IE 5.0 with sp2, Netscape 4.8 and Opera 5.12 with the java package ( I like this version of Opera ). Using a Hayes 56k external modem. I know this machine will outlast my other computers so I'm glad I have a workhorse indeed. EZoto What SCSI, memory? EZoto wrote: ...

How to write iso-8859-1 mails with PC-Pine?
Hej! I'm using PC-Pine 4.61, my display window supports IBM codepage 850 and in order to read messages sent to me coded in iso-8859-1 I have set the character-set value to "IBM850". This works fine, all german "umlauts" are displayed correctly. But when I compose a mail comtaining "high ASCII" characters, those will be inserted in the body with codepage 850 coding and the header will contain a "TEXT/PLAIN; charset=IBM850" attribute. This is technically correct but most (all?) mail readers won't know how to display them. :-( So, this q...

Power PC Boot sequence.
Hai.. I am just beginner of PowerPC. I want to write boot loader in PPC7410. Can any one tell where can i find boot sequence.. Raja. "Raja" <mraja@datapatterns.co.in> skrev i en meddelelse news:1131623047.871335.87730@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Hai.. > I am just beginner of PowerPC. I want to write boot loader in > PPC7410. Can any one tell where can i find boot sequence.. I am mengling with a kind of the same thing - but hint is Open Firmware, and you get there but holding alt, apple, "o" and "f" buttons down at boot ...

Is there a UK zero maintenance PC like webTV?
My elderly mother lives in the UK. I would like to buy her a PC primarily for email, IM and possibly simple web browsing. She is a complete technophobe so its use would have to be complely simple and fool proof. Is there any webTV or similar ROM based web browser available in the UK? If no answers here, is there a better news group where I can post this enquiry? -Tim ...

Ultimate users
There usd to be quite a few plumbing wholesalers on Ultimate on RS/6000 machines. I would like to know about any and all of those and what they migrated to, if they are not still on the same system. Henry Keultjes hbkeultjesatearthlinkdotnet Database Scientifics Project http://www.ncolug.org/ppc.htm Mansfield Ohio USA Henry, You are most likely thinking of SHIMS, a package distributed by Ultimate Data Systems for hard goods distributors, including plumbing, electrical, and industrial supply houses. There are still a large number of companies out there that are using SHIMS...

AppleWin jerky on AMD Dualcore PC
Hi, I'm using AMD Athlon64 Dualcore 3800+, the latest AppleWin make a lot of "click" sound and run very slow. It's working fine on other AMD Athlon64 with single core. (Installed AMD CPU driver and Microsoft Patches against dual core) I've already filed bug report. Just a bit curious, nobody use Dual core CPU here? > Just a bit curious, nobody use Dual core CPU here? Nope. Works fine on my P4 1.2ghz laptop, so no need for an upgrade yet. ;-) Seriously, though, have you tried setting the program's affinity to just use one CPU? http://www.js...

Karmic Krapware: "my pc does not work since the upgrade"
"Upgrade - got many problems that i have not been able to solve http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305459 so im not alone with this problem and filled the bugreport at launchpad. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/464591 hopefully i get soon some help, because my pc does not work since the upgrade..." #6 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305924&highlight=Karmic+freeze MS shills must have invaded the Ubuntu forums. How else do you explain the explosion of bad experiences with the latest Ubuntu? On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:32:25 -0500, DFS wrote: &...

Solidworks 2006 CTD on Linear Feature Pattern
My company just installed SW 2006, we are currently using SP2.0 while I get 2.1 installed. We recently have found a repeatable CTD whenever we try to do a pattern of a linear feature. I have tried three different computers under two different configurations and the problem exists with all of them. This seems to be the only cause of the problem so far. I have used it on a system running an ASUS P4P800 MB, ATI FireGL X3 256 VC, 2 GB RAM, and Win XP Pro SP2. The other one is the same system, except 1 GB RAM and an nVidia GeForce FX 5200. I have installed all the certified drivers and the most rec...

Re: OT: PC hardware diagnostics #3
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:12:42 -0800, Dave Powell, MMfab <dave@MMFAB.COM> w= rote: >Anybody have any experience / recommendations? I'm looking for hardwar= e >tests that can be run from a bootable CD, completely bypassing Windows. = I've >done some searches and found a few products that claim to be perfect in = every >way, but they don't give enough specifics to tell me how close they are = to >what I want. > For standalone memory diagnostics, check out Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) or Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/). I think...

Metastock 10 Pro for eSignal, OwnTrade for Tradestation 8.x, Grail Software Suite, TrendSignal EOD and RT, for Ultimate Trading and Analysis, other ...
Metastock 10 Pro for eSignal, OwnTrade for Tradestation 8.x, Grail Software Suite, TrendSignal EOD and RT, for Ultimate Trading and Analysis, other ... 2007/June/03 new programs clearing, garage sales, buy, risk-free purchase, cutting edge, state of the art, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------- TechniFilter Plus, 1 CD, ( http://technifilter.com ) and Tools for Technifilter Plus ... The Brightspark Swing Volume Tool for Technifilter ...