The Ultimate SolidWorks PC for under $6000

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
guidelines that I know of right now:

Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
the limit to speed for most of the work.
Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.
More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
necessary?)
SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.

What about dual processors?

Thanks for the help guys and gals.
0
Reply info 11/26/2003 7:56:27 PM

See related articles to this posting

If it is for a work station, where in the files are stored on a remote
server, then a local 10,000 rpm IDE drive will out perform a scsi drive on
multiple files. Please include a 1G network card too! I would check with SW
about the dual processor option though.
"Steve Fye" <info@rhapsodydesignsolutions.com> wrote in message
> I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
> workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
> suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
> guidelines that I know of right now:
>
> Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
> the limit to speed for most of the work.
> Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.
> More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
> necessary?)
> SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
> times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.
>
> What about dual processors?
>
> Thanks for the help guys and gals.

0
Reply pete 11/26/2003 8:05:41 PM

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C3B422.C75EEA80

SATA(Serial ATA) HardDrives(Specifically the 10,000 RPM Western Digital =
36GB) have the fastest data transfer times.

Look for a motherboard with 6 dimm slots so you can run 3GB of DDR Ram.

If I were building today, I'd use an AMD processor.

The newest nvidia video cards(FX3000G, FX3000, FX2000, FX1000, and =
FX500) are approved for SolidWorks 2004.
1. FX3000's =3D Approx. $1,500 - $2,000
2. FX2000 - FX1000 =3D $1,200 - $1,500
3. FX500 =3D $299

Prices change all the time.

Go to www.tomshardware.com for lots of info about computers.

Best Regards,
Devon T. Sowell
www.3-ddesignsolutions.com

  "Steve Fye" <info@rhapsodydesignsolutions.com> wrote in message =
  I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
  workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
  suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
  guidelines that I know of right now:

  Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
  the limit to speed for most of the work.
  Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.
  More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
  necessary?)
  SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
  times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.

  What about dual processors?

  Thanks for the help guys and gals.
------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C3B422.C75EEA80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>SATA(Serial =
ATA)&nbsp;HardDrives(Specifically the=20
10,000 RPM Western Digital 36GB) have the fastest data transfer=20
times.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Look for a motherboard with 6 dimm =
slots so you can=20
run 3GB of DDR Ram.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I were building today, I'd use =
an&nbsp;AMD=20
processor.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The newest nvidia video cards(FX3000G, =
FX3000,=20
FX2000, FX1000, and FX500) are approved for SolidWorks =
2004.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. FX3000's&nbsp;=3D Approx. $1,500 -=20
$2,000</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. FX2000 - FX1000 =3D $1,200 - =
$1,500</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. FX500 =3D $299</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Prices change all the =
time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Go to <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tomshardware.com">www.tomshardware.com</A> for lots =
of info=20
about computers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Devon T. Sowell</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.3-ddesignsolutions.com">www.3-ddesignsolutions.com</A>=
</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Steve Fye" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:info@rhapsodydesignsolutions.com">info@rhapsodydesignsolut=
ions.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:2e772407.0311261156.5d58a52e@posting.google.com">news:2e7724=
07.0311261156.5d58a52e@posting.google.com</A>...</DIV>I=20
  have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a=20
  SolidWorks<BR>workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.&nbsp; =
Can I get=20
  some good<BR>suggestions from the group on this?&nbsp; Here are some =
of the=20
  basic<BR>guidelines that I know of right now:<BR><BR>Video card to be =
the best=20
  possible since this is probably going to be<BR>the limit to speed for =
most of=20
  the work.<BR>Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest =
available.<BR>More=20
  than likely will have &gt;1G of RAM (what speed and=20
  considerations<BR>necessary?)<BR>SCSI hard drive may be considered, =
but not a=20
  major concern as load<BR>times are not a major issue with the type of =
work=20
  being done.<BR><BR>What about dual processors?<BR><BR>Thanks for the =
help guys=20
  and gals.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C3B422.C75EEA80--

0
Reply Devon 11/26/2003 9:38:37 PM

Oooooh... $6000 is a LOT of PC these days.  For that amount of money,
here is what I would suggest:

2X - AMD Athlon 64 FX51	       $1598
1X - Tyan K8W (Dual Opteron MB)	$449
2GB - PC3200 DDR RAM (4 X 512MB)	$522
2X - 10k RPM Western Digital 36GB	$260
1X - PNY Quadro FX 3000           $1730
1X - DVD/CD Burner                $250
1X - Good Case/Power Supply       $250
Floppy/keyboard/mouse/sound...    $300

Total (less taxes and S&H) NO MONITOR	$5359

This is pretty much the best system money can buy at the moment.  Almost
nothing can touch it in terms of raw performance, Plus is is ready for
64 bit computing when that happens.

All for under $6000, boy this was fun...drool...

--
Arlin
(remove '351' from email to reply)

Slightly off topic, but may help Steve! Does anyone have experience with
running Solidworks 2004 on the new Opteron or Athlon64 processors? I'm also
looking to put together a new workstation in the next month and my current
thoughts are:
Athlon 3200+ running at 400mhz FSB
2Gb RAM matched to the motherboard - as fast as poss.
SATA main HD (RAID 0 them sounds like a recipe for problems and I don't have
the money for a fast / redundant RAID) - no running over networks required.
quadro 980XGL video card
a 20" dell TFT monitor ( I already have a 21" old CRT monitor that can be
used as a second unit)

I figured this gave me the best "bang for the buck" at around �1600
excluding monitor and would make a blindingly fast Solidworks machine for
most modelling tasks, but my local computer dude is trying to persuade me to
go for a 64bit processor (he's an AMD fan) and I am wondering if it is worth
stretching the extra dosh for a twin processor MB and a set of  Athlon 64's
(I aim to be doing some rendering / animation work as well - hence the twin
processor gig, I understand Solidworks doesn't gain from having 2
processors?)

would going for one of the new 64bit processors gain anything over the 3200+
(not working on a "bang for buck" scenario) - most of the results on the
Toms hardware page seem very software dependent and they don't use the
Solidoworks benchmark in their tests!
Hope this provides some side illumination and best of luck with the spec
Steve!
Regards
Deri

"Steve Fye" <info@rhapsodydesignsolutions.com> wrote in message
> I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
> workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
> suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
> guidelines that I know of right now:
>
> Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
> the limit to speed for most of the work.
> Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.
> More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
> necessary?)
> SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
> times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.
>
> What about dual processors?
>
> Thanks for the help guys and gals.

0
Reply Deri 11/26/2003 10:24:27 PM

I look at system performance as a means to get past bottlenecks. There are
many sources of bottleneck. You can buy a fast system and load it down with
many unecessary processes and then wonder why it is so slow. You can put
your CAD box on a network backbone forcing it to look at every packet that
flows by on a busy network, thus slowing it down. The ultimate system may
very well be a "fast box" to run SW and a slow box to run Office and other
programs not related to CAD, tied together with a KVM switch.

Steve Fye wrote:

> I have an opportunity to spec an "ultimate" system for a SolidWorks
> workstation for somebody with a budget of $6000.  Can I get some good
> suggestions from the group on this?  Here are some of the basic
> guidelines that I know of right now:
>
> Video card to be the best possible since this is probably going to be
> the limit to speed for most of the work.

Probably not. CPU and I/O performance will limit your speed. You will run
into this bottleneck in parts that have a great deal of "swoopy surfaces",
fillets, draft or other complex geometry, in assemblies with lots of
overdefined mates or flexible sub assemblies with lots of configurations to
manage and in drawings of large assemblies, drawings having many section
views or other compute intesive processes. A fast graphics card will
probably not help much on a drawing and drawings are where it all comes
together to slow down a system.

> Processor / Motherboard choice to be latest available.

Well, you better consider chipset here. Look at http://www.anandtech.com and
http://www.tomshardware.com for reviews of various motherboards, chipsets
and memory.

Also consider going to 64 bit computing. AMD makes 64 bit processors that
will surpass the latest Pentiums in the 32 bit realm.

> More than likely will have >1G of RAM (what speed and considerations
> necessary?)

Consider the ability of the OS to utilize RAM as well if you have more than
1 GB.

> SCSI hard drive may be considered, but not a major concern as load
> times are not a major issue with the type of work being done.

SCSI may help but also consider your networks involvement. Will you need a
fiberoptic network connection to a server to prevent bottlenecks there?

> What about dual processors?

Waste of money.

> Thanks for the help guys and gals.

0
Reply kellnerp 11/27/2003 5:55:25 PM
comp.cad.solidworks 14462 articles. 55 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

SOLIDWORKS compatibility with Virtual PC 7.0... yeah SOLIDWORKS on an APPLE....
Ok so the long and short of it is that I know a guy who just bought a 15 inch G4 powerbook, 1.5 ghz G4 processor 512 RAM... Yadda Yadda..... so knowing all this, I informed him that he could emulate the windows xp Pro environment to run applications that were not available for MAC Platform (ie. SOLIDWORKS). He completely flipped out. Thought it was great and wanted to know how we could find out if Solid Works was compatible. Any body out there? anybody got insight into this? Thanks! Chad "-the-chad-" <chadMostroff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:80e7cd19.0411262304.44256...

[News] PC Plus Published Article About "The Ultimate PC", Chooses GNU/Linux

Tablet PC and SolidWorks?
Has anybody tried running solidworks on a tablet pc? I am slightly interested in getting one for personal use and I would load solidowrks on it but for only for very light usage, not for heavy work or for production work. What are the benefits to using a tablet pc? Sam Sam, I've got an old Motion 1200 that runs SolidWorks "okay". The 1200 was an 866Mhz, I had a gig of ram on it. Small assemblies, prismatic parts - nothing heavy duty. The biggest issue is the pen input, using the "pop-up" keyboard is very slow for placing numbers in dialog boxes (dims, mate values...

The ultimate PC graphics machine
What would the 'ultimate' PC machine based on current technology be for home based post production photo editing(PhotoShop CS heavy Mb batch processing) and video editing (Adobe Premiere). Someone suggests me a Zeon multiple processor motherboard (up to four I believe) server with one or more Gb per chip memory with RAID etc etc. that would run with XP Professional. Graphics card to suit it? What is the dream machine to blow the G5 away? Any specs recommendations. Let's keep it around $US2.5k. << What is the dream machine to blow the G5 away? >> Mac G6 Con...

PC Hardware Reliability for SolidWorks?
Everybody & their brother can "make" a PC, and half a dozen or so manufacturers push them out in lots of models. But we rarely get more than a few comments back from the ocassional user on reliability. Recently someone noted their group had some issues with Dells 690, as an instance. Can we get some votes for what has worked and what has had "issues" in hardware from manufacturers, so there is at least a little more feedback into this group? Thanks - Bo > Can we get some votes for what has worked and what has had "issues" in > hardware from manufact...

2 versions of SolidWorks on one PC
I have SolidWorks 2003 installed on my machine. I want to also install 2001 version on the PC. However, when I do that the 2003 version does not work. Any suggestions. Thanks, Payam Dianat If you're using two different serial numbers it's not going to work . . .. period. SolidWorks (whatever version) allows only one Windows registry key to contain the serial number of the license you're using. It has to be the same for 2001 as for 2003. The only way that I can imagine to get around that particular problem (if that is your problem) is to export a registry key for one, and ...

FS: GORE the Ultimate SOLDIER on your PC
Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?wp_ml=0&query=gore&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=AUCTI0NST0P&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AUCTI...

FS: GORE the Ultimate SOLDIER on your PC #2
Visit http://www.seals4deals.co.uk Gore the Ultimate Soldier PC Game Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?query=gore&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=seals4-deals&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and more ...

FA: Atari PONG Ultimate Party Game for the PC
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8141226930&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT -- Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AUCTI0NST0P For Children's Games, Educational, Language & Recreational Software ...

Getting the HP 49G+ to work with the PC
I had some problems getting my HP to work with my PC, and it seems i am not the only one. Well. Here it goes. What you'll need: - PC with USB (2.0 or 1.0 it works with both) - USB Cable (shipped with the HP 49G+) - HP49G+ - Winzip (www.winzip.com) - The HP Connectivity kit (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL4344/ca-14082-1/sp00001.exe) or the CD-ROM shipped with the HP49G+ (the Unpack your HP, download and install winzip and the connectivity kit. Okay, since my HP is not a retail version, it is a market sample, it didn't come with a CD, so i had to download the Connectivity ...

FA: Atari PONG Ultimate Party Game for the PC
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8141226930&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT -- Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AUCTI0NST0P For Children's Games, Educational, Language & Recreational Software ...

FA: Ends SOON Atari PONG Ultimate Party Game for the PC
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8141226930&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT -- Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AUCTI0NST0P For Children's Games, Educational, Language & Recreational Software ...

FA: EnDS SoON Atari PONG Ultimate Party Game for the PC
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8146349515&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT -- Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AUCTI0NST0P For Children's Games, Educational, Language & Recreational Software ...

FS: BRAND New Thunderbolt 2 Ultimate air combat on your PC %
See link for details http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8169549762&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AUCTI0NST0P For Children's Games, Educational, Language & Recreational Software ...

The Ultimate Computer Software Source
The Ultimate Computer Software Source - Download Everything You Need For Your PC For Free FrinzoO Computer Forum provides a place where all members can ask for help and discuss a wide variety of technical topics: 1- Computer Software 2- Computer Hardware 3- Computer Problems' Solutions 4- Laptops and Netbooks Reviews 5- Computer Games 6- Web Design and Development 7- Mobile Phones, Tablets and other Handheld Devices 8- Search Engines 9- Online Internet Marketing 10- Online Internet Business 11- Search Engine Optimization 12- Affiliate Marketing 13- Movies 14- Music Membership is free, s...

[...]

Brand New - Ultimate PC Secrets - Huge Market
Do You Wish Your Computer Was Faster? Well It Can Be! These are the secrets that the computer geeks don't want you to know because this is how they make most of their money.!!! http://tinyurl.com/yjdmqdr ...