DBF opening

Can anyone tell what Error Code: 21 [OPEN ERROR] means?

I've never had problems opening the database before. And an old program
does work.

As far as I can see everything I did should not have affected the
program. The path is correct. Makes no difference whether I use the
network or access the file directly.

What I did do is add a Windows server to the network and I copied the
files over to the new server. I copied them, but left them on the old
server too. I did not change the old server at all. And the problem I'm
having is on the old server.

Is there any way to diagnose this? The program does open 3 tables and
they are kept open all the time the program is running. But I cannot
open any other table.

I am terminal serving to the server itself, so the data does not go over
the network. The terminal server, the data, and the program running are
all on the same computer.

This seems like a grade 1 problem, but someone here may have an idea.

James
0
James
12/13/2016 8:01:53 PM
comp.clipper.visual-objects 12618 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Could the files be read only ?

Op 13-12-2016 om 21:01 schreef James Martin:
> Can anyone tell what Error Code: 21 [OPEN ERROR] means?
>
> I've never had problems opening the database before. And an old program
> does work.
>
> As far as I can see everything I did should not have affected the
> program. The path is correct. Makes no difference whether I use the
> network or access the file directly.
>
> What I did do is add a Windows server to the network and I copied the
> files over to the new server. I copied them, but left them on the old
> server too. I did not change the old server at all. And the problem I'm
> having is on the old server.
>
> Is there any way to diagnose this? The program does open 3 tables and
> they are kept open all the time the program is running. But I cannot
> open any other table.
>
> I am terminal serving to the server itself, so the data does not go over
> the network. The terminal server, the data, and the program running are
> all on the same computer.
>
> This seems like a grade 1 problem, but someone here may have an idea.
>
> James
0
JohnMartens
12/13/2016 8:32:29 PM
They are not read-only. Since some of them open it makes no sense that
they are read-only.

An interesting fact is that on the same program has a backup routine
that zips up every file and that does work. The problem seems to be with
the CDX driver.

James

On 16-12-13 03:32 PM, JohnMartens wrote:
> Could the files be read only ?
>
> Op 13-12-2016 om 21:01 schreef James Martin:
>> Can anyone tell what Error Code: 21 [OPEN ERROR] means?
>>
>> I've never had problems opening the database before. And an old program
>> does work.
>>
>> As far as I can see everything I did should not have affected the
>> program. The path is correct. Makes no difference whether I use the
>> network or access the file directly.
>>
>> What I did do is add a Windows server to the network and I copied the
>> files over to the new server. I copied them, but left them on the old
>> server too. I did not change the old server at all. And the problem I'm
>> having is on the old server.
>>
>> Is there any way to diagnose this? The program does open 3 tables and
>> they are kept open all the time the program is running. But I cannot
>> open any other table.
>>
>> I am terminal serving to the server itself, so the data does not go over
>> the network. The terminal server, the data, and the program running are
>> all on the same computer.
>>
>> This seems like a grade 1 problem, but someone here may have an idea.
>>
>> James
0
James
12/13/2016 9:17:32 PM
What is the full VOERROR.LOG error message related to code 21?
It may shed some light.

Jamal

"James Martin"  wrote in message news:o2pk0u$l4c$1@dont-email.me...

[...]

12/14/2016 5:58:39 AM
Check these list
http://stanislavs.org/helppc/dos_error_codes.html
0
Frans
12/14/2016 1:12:56 PM
Dear James Martin:

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 1:01:54 PM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
> Can anyone tell what Error Code: 21 [OPEN ERROR]
> means?

Looks like a lock violation, based on Frans' list.  Which means the account active when your code is running, does not have the ability to place a lock (requires write access) on a file.

David A. Smith
0
dlzc
12/14/2016 1:59:26 PM
What makes this confusing is that an older version of the program works.
I need the newer version because there a a few necessary features.
dbLite opens the files. It seems that it is the amount of file open that
makes a problem (this is a guess). The DOS error is of course a lock
problem, but why can I open 3 tables but no more? The ones open can be
browsed, etc.

The files all have full access to everyone. The share is read/write.

The error subcode is 1101, if that helps any.

Is there any way to diagnose this?

I might add that Windows did a upgrade over this time too. Could there
be a open files setting somewhere?

James

On 16-12-14 08:59 AM, dlzc wrote:
> Dear James Martin:
>
> On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 1:01:54 PM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
>> Can anyone tell what Error Code: 21 [OPEN ERROR]
>> means?
>
> Looks like a lock violation, based on Frans' list.  Which means the account active when your code is running, does not have the ability to place a lock (requires write access) on a file.
>
> David A. Smith

0
James
12/14/2016 4:27:56 PM
Dear James Martin:

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 9:27:56 AM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
> What makes this confusing is that an older version
> of the program works.

Same number of files, same number of indexes?

> I need the newer version because there a a few
> necessary features. dbLite opens the files. It
> seems that it is the amount of file open that
> makes a problem (this is a guess).

As good as any.  How can you disprove this?  Can you change the opening order, and see if it crashes on a different file?

> The DOS error is of course a lock problem, but
> why can I open 3 tables but no more?

Maybe something else has the file open already, and the "new program" initially tries for an exclusive lock?

> The ones open can be browsed, etc.
>
> The files all have full access to everyone. The
> share is read/write.

.... but the problem is the new code only?  How about machine / OS / etc.?

> The error subcode is 1101, if that helps any.
>
> Is there any way to diagnose this?
>
> I might add that Windows did a upgrade over this
> time too. Could there be a open files setting
> somewhere?

I doubt this is the problem, if you are getting a lock error.

David A. Smith
0
dlzc
12/14/2016 7:35:24 PM
I'm in the process of dumbing down the program and seeing if I can find
anything. The old program uses the same numbers of files and index
files. The Machine & OS is the same.

James

On 16-12-14 02:35 PM, dlzc wrote:
> Dear James Martin:
>
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 9:27:56 AM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
>> What makes this confusing is that an older version
>> of the program works.
>
> Same number of files, same number of indexes?
>
>> I need the newer version because there a a few
>> necessary features. dbLite opens the files. It
>> seems that it is the amount of file open that
>> makes a problem (this is a guess).
>
> As good as any.  How can you disprove this?  Can you change the opening order, and see if it crashes on a different file?
>
>> The DOS error is of course a lock problem, but
>> why can I open 3 tables but no more?
>
> Maybe something else has the file open already, and the "new program" initially tries for an exclusive lock?
>
>> The ones open can be browsed, etc.
>>
>> The files all have full access to everyone. The
>> share is read/write.
>
> ... but the problem is the new code only?  How about machine / OS / etc.?
>
>> The error subcode is 1101, if that helps any.
>>
>> Is there any way to diagnose this?
>>
>> I might add that Windows did a upgrade over this
>> time too. Could there be a open files setting
>> somewhere?
>
> I doubt this is the problem, if you are getting a lock error.
>
> David A. Smith

0
James
12/14/2016 7:47:01 PM
This is frustrating.

I made a simple program and with it I can open many many dbfs.

Is there any function to check the status of a file. In the origional
program I can't even open the dbfs readonly. I have specified shared,
readonly, and the RDD driver. It won't open.

James

On 16-12-14 02:35 PM, dlzc wrote:
> Dear James Martin:
>
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 9:27:56 AM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
>> What makes this confusing is that an older version
>> of the program works.
>
> Same number of files, same number of indexes?
>
>> I need the newer version because there a a few
>> necessary features. dbLite opens the files. It
>> seems that it is the amount of file open that
>> makes a problem (this is a guess).
>
> As good as any.  How can you disprove this?  Can you change the opening order, and see if it crashes on a different file?
>
>> The DOS error is of course a lock problem, but
>> why can I open 3 tables but no more?
>
> Maybe something else has the file open already, and the "new program" initially tries for an exclusive lock?
>
>> The ones open can be browsed, etc.
>>
>> The files all have full access to everyone. The
>> share is read/write.
>
> ... but the problem is the new code only?  How about machine / OS / etc.?
>
>> The error subcode is 1101, if that helps any.
>>
>> Is there any way to diagnose this?
>>
>> I might add that Windows did a upgrade over this
>> time too. Could there be a open files setting
>> somewhere?
>
> I doubt this is the problem, if you are getting a lock error.
>
> David A. Smith

0
James
12/15/2016 3:23:54 PM
Dear James Martin:

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:23:53 AM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
> This is frustrating.
>
> I made a simple program and with it I can open
> many many dbfs.

Ok, so you have a simple logic error, and you need to narrow it down to the offending step.  Can you write a trace to a file?

> Is there any function to check the status of a
> file. In the origional program I can't even
> open the dbfs readonly. I have specified shared,
> readonly, and the RDD driver. It won't open.

Did you try to open, in your simple program, shared, *and* readonly?

Since I only do Clipper variants, do you have the equivalent of dbinfo()?
http://www.ousob.com/ng/53guide/ng28fbc.php

David A. Smith
0
dlzc
12/15/2016 3:51:24 PM
On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:51:25 AM UTC-7, dlzc wrote:
> Dear James Martin:
>
> On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:23:53 AM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
> > I have specified shared, readonly, and the
> RDD driver. It won't open.
>
> Did you try to open, in your simple program, shared, *and* readonly?

Note that you are getting a lock error, yet telling it (by "shared") that you intend to apply locks.

David A. Smith
0
dlzc
12/15/2016 3:52:59 PM
Again! What is the FULL error log from VOERROR.LOG?

Jamal

On 16-12-14 02:35 PM, dlzc wrote:
> Dear James Martin:
>
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 9:27:56 AM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
>> What makes this confusing is that an older version
>> of the program works.
>
> Same number of files, same number of indexes?
>
>> I need the newer version because there a a few
>> necessary features. dbLite opens the files. It
>> seems that it is the amount of file open that
>> makes a problem (this is a guess).
>
> As good as any.  How can you disprove this?  Can you change the opening
> order, and see if it crashes on a different file?
>
>> The DOS error is of course a lock problem, but
>> why can I open 3 tables but no more?
>
> Maybe something else has the file open already, and the "new program"
> initially tries for an exclusive lock?
>
>> The ones open can be browsed, etc.
>>
>> The files all have full access to everyone. The
>> share is read/write.
>
> ... but the problem is the new code only?  How about machine / OS / etc.?
>
>> The error subcode is 1101, if that helps any.
>>
>> Is there any way to diagnose this?
>>
>> I might add that Windows did a upgrade over this
>> time too. Could there be a open files setting
>> somewhere?
>
> I doubt this is the problem, if you are getting a lock error.
>
> David A. Smith

0
Jim
12/15/2016 3:58:53 PM
It's 3.74 MB. How do I send it?

James

On 16-12-15 10:58 AM, Jim wrote:
> Again! What is the FULL error log from VOERROR.LOG?
>
> Jamal
>
> "James Martin"  wrote in message news:o2ucfj$jd1$1@dont-email.me...
>
> This is frustrating.
>
> I made a simple program and with it I can open many many dbfs.
>
> Is there any function to check the status of a file. In the origional
> program I can't even open the dbfs readonly. I have specified shared,
> readonly, and the RDD driver. It won't open.
>
> James
>
> On 16-12-14 02:35 PM, dlzc wrote:
>> Dear James Martin:
>>
>> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 9:27:56 AM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
>>> What makes this confusing is that an older version
>>> of the program works.
>>
>> Same number of files, same number of indexes?
>>
>>> I need the newer version because there a a few
>>> necessary features. dbLite opens the files. It
>>> seems that it is the amount of file open that
>>> makes a problem (this is a guess).
>>
>> As good as any.  How can you disprove this?  Can you change the
>> opening order, and see if it crashes on a different file?
>>
>>> The DOS error is of course a lock problem, but
>>> why can I open 3 tables but no more?
>>
>> Maybe something else has the file open already, and the "new program"
>> initially tries for an exclusive lock?
>>
>>> The ones open can be browsed, etc.
>>>
>>> The files all have full access to everyone. The
>>> share is read/write.
>>
>> ... but the problem is the new code only?  How about machine / OS / etc.?
>>
>>> The error subcode is 1101, if that helps any.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to diagnose this?
>>>
>>> I might add that Windows did a upgrade over this
>>> time too. Could there be a open files setting
>>> somewhere?
>>
>> I doubt this is the problem, if you are getting a lock error.
>>
>> David A. Smith

0
James
12/15/2016 4:08:13 PM
I have narrowed down the lines that make the problem. I should know
shortly what is the problem.

James

On 16-12-15 10:52 AM, dlzc wrote:
> On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:51:25 AM UTC-7, dlzc wrote:
>> Dear James Martin:
>>
>> On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:23:53 AM UTC-7, James Martin wrote:
>>> I have specified shared, readonly, and the
>> RDD driver. It won't open.
>>
>> Did you try to open, in your simple program, shared, *and* readonly?
>
> Note that you are getting a lock error, yet telling it (by "shared") that you intend to apply locks.
>
> David A. Smith

0
James
12/15/2016 4:09:11 PM
James,
rename and provoke a new crash. The file is cumulative...

Karl

>It's 3.74 MB. How do I send it?
>
>James
>
>On 16-12-15 10:58 AM, Jim wrote:
>> Again! What is the FULL error log from VOERROR.LOG?
>>
>> Jamal
>>
>> "James Martin"  wrote in message news:o2ucfj$jd1$1@dont-email.me...
>>
>> This is frustrating.
>>
>> I made a simple program and with it I can open many many dbfs.
>>
>> Is there any function to check the status of a file. In the origional
>> program I can't even open the dbfs readonly. I have specified shared,
>> readonly, and the RDD driver. It won't open.
>>
>> James
>>
>> On 16-12-14 02:35 PM, dlzc wrote:
>>> Dear James Martin:

>>> Same number of files, same number of indexes?

>>> As good as any.  How can you disprove this?  Can you change the
>>> opening order, and see if it crashes on a different file?

>>> Maybe something else has the file open already, and the "new program"
>>> initially tries for an exclusive lock?

>>> ... but the problem is the new code only?  How about machine / OS / etc.?

>>> I doubt this is the problem, if you are getting a lock error.
>>>
>>> David A. Smith

Regards

Karl
0
Karl
12/15/2016 4:38:12 PM
Here is the offending line (the middle one):

SetDefault(SELF:cPath)
SetPath(SELF:cPath)
cFullPath	:= Alltrim(SELF:cPath) + "LProfile.dbf"

I had to comment out the middle line. The program works now, but I don't
know why commenting out that fixed it. SELF:cPath is right - I checked
it. I have hard coded this early in the program as a default:

cPath	:= "V:\data\"
SetPath(cPath)
SetDefault(cPath)

After playing around I realized that SELF:cPath was not trimmed (it came
from a dbf). The program worked for years that way until this week! Oh
well, it works now.

Thanks everybody.

James

On 16-12-15 11:09 AM, James Martin wrote:
> I have narrowed down the lines that make the problem. I should know
> shortly what is the problem.
>
> James
>
> On 16-12-15 10:52 AM, dlzc wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:51:25 AM UTC-7, dlzc wrote:
>>> Dear James Martin:

>>> RDD driver. It won't open.
>>>
>>> Did you try to open, in your simple program, shared, *and* readonly?
>>
>> Note that you are getting a lock error, yet telling it (by "shared")
>> that you intend to apply locks.
>>
>> David A. Smith

0
James
12/15/2016 4:49:47 PM
Program works now. It seems that white space in a setpath() statement
caused this. Why it worked until this week is a mystery!

James

On 16-12-15 11:38 AM, Karl Faller wrote:
> James,
> rename and provoke a new crash. The file is cumulative...
>
> Karl
>
>> It's 3.74 MB. How do I send it?
>>
>> James
>>
>> On 16-12-15 10:58 AM, Jim wrote:
>>> Again! What is the FULL error log from VOERROR.LOG?
>>>
>>> Jamal
>>>
>>> "James Martin"  wrote in message news:o2ucfj$jd1$1@dont-email.me...
>>>
>>> This is frustrating.
>>>
>>> I made a simple program and with it I can open many many dbfs.
>>>
>>> Is there any function to check the status of a file. In the origional
>>> program I can't even open the dbfs readonly. I have specified shared,
>>> readonly, and the RDD driver. It won't open.
>>>
>>> James

> Regards
>
> Karl

0
James
12/15/2016 4:51:13 PM
Here is the error message in VOError.log

Visual Objects (Version 2.8. Build 2.2830), Version 2.8 SP2

12/15/16 11:30:26

Application: C:\cavo28\Bin\Lumber1.DBG

Error message:

--------------

Error Code:  21 [ OPEN ERROR ]

Subsystem: DBFCDX

Error Subcode: 1101 (Open database)

Function: INIT

Filename: C:\Apps\Lumber\Data\

CallStack:

LPROFILE:INIT (Line:65)

ORDERLIST:PREINIT (Line:7)

ORDERLIST:INIT (Line:3)

LUMBERSHELLWINDOW:OPENORDERLIST (Line:11)

LUMBERSHELLWINDOW:DISPATCH (Line:17)

Error Object created:

--------------------

SubSystem       :DBFCDX

SubCode         :1101

GenCode         :Open error

OsCode          :2

ArgType         :NIL

FuncPtr         :0x00000000

ArgNum          :0

FuncSym         :INIT

Severity        :2

CanDefault      :.F.

CanRetry        :.T.

CanSubstitute   :.F.

Operation       :

Description     :

FileName        :C:\Apps\Lumber\Data\
                    \LPROFILE.DBF

Tries           :1

FileHandle      :0

SubCodeText     :Open database

Arg             :

ArgTypeReq      :NIL

MaxSize         :0

SubstituteType  :NIL

CallFuncSym     :

The Filename line did not format well here, but there is lots of white
space between the path and the file name. I hadn't noticed that!

James

On 16-12-15 11:51 AM, James Martin wrote:
> Program works now. It seems that white space in a setpath() statement
> caused this. Why it worked until this week is a mystery!
>
> James
>
> On 16-12-15 11:38 AM, Karl Faller wrote:
>> James,
>> rename and provoke a new crash. The file is cumulative...
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>> It's 3.74 MB. How do I send it?
>>>
>>> James

>> Regards
>>
>> Karl

0
James
12/15/2016 5:16:19 PM
So, is it working fine now and further help is no longer needed?

Jamal

"James Martin"  wrote in message news:o2uhja$7qg$2@dont-email.me...

Program works now. It seems that white space in a setpath() statement
caused this. Why it worked until this week is a mystery!

James

On 16-12-15 11:38 AM, Karl Faller wrote:
> James,
> rename and provoke a new crash. The file is cumulative...
>
> Karl
>
>> It's 3.74 MB. How do I send it?
>>
>> James
>>
>> On 16-12-15 10:58 AM, Jim wrote:
>>> Again! What is the FULL error log from VOERROR.LOG?
>>>
>>> Jamal
>>>
>>> "James Martin"  wrote in message news:o2ucfj$jd1$1@dont-email.me...
>>>
>>> This is frustrating.
>>>
>>> I made a simple program and with it I can open many many dbfs.
>>>
>>> Is there any function to check the status of a file. In the origional
>>> program I can't even open the dbfs readonly. I have specified shared,
>>> readonly, and the RDD driver. It won't open.
>>>
>>> James

> Regards
>
> Karl

0
Jamal
12/15/2016 7:58:32 PM
That's right. The surprising thing is that it worked before, and the
error messages did not give any help. The log file would have though,
but I found it by isolating the code.

Thanks.

James

On 16-12-15 02:58 PM, Jamal wrote:
> So, is it working fine now and further help is no longer needed?
>
> Jamal
>
> "James Martin"  wrote in message news:o2uhja$7qg$2@dont-email.me...
>
> Program works now. It seems that white space in a setpath() statement
> caused this. Why it worked until this week is a mystery!
>
> James
>
> On 16-12-15 11:38 AM, Karl Faller wrote:
>> James,
>> rename and provoke a new crash. The file is cumulative...
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>> It's 3.74 MB. How do I send it?
>>>
>>> James

>> Regards
>>
>> Karl

0
James
12/15/2016 8:11:14 PM
Replying on message of Thu, 15 Dec 2016 15:11:14 -0500 from James
Martin:

 Hello James,

>That's right. The surprising thing is that it worked before, and the
>error messages did not give any help. The log file would have though,
>but I found it by isolating the code.

Good it works now. Why it worked with the same space before remains a
mystery. One thinks "Windows updates". I disable all Windowsupdates
until I have some time, once every few months, to solve problems which
usually start afte rsuch an update. But this week I suddenly found my
audio output slowed down and distorted. After some trial & error I
deleted both audio drivers from Configuration/Devices which were
reinstalled on a Windows restart. No idea what could have happened in
between. Only deinstalled one Visual Studio component.

For the record: error 21 can also occur when you have ADS open and the
file is also opened with DBFCDX access. Further it can happen with a
damaged file. Usually a memofield, but it can also happen if you
create a file using older Excel versions with an unallowed or double
fieldname in it (apparently Excel doesn 't check for that). The file
seems created but doesn't open, and sometimes with error 21.

Dick
I get error 21 on a network if I try to access data using a file path containing a network alias name instead of a mapped drive:

Wrong: \\Host_PC_network_name\\C\\Folder_name\Filename

Right: Z:\Folder_name\Filename
0
Kuno
12/17/2016 12:15:10 AM
Incorrect!! You mean UNC and it works fine in all versions of Windows.

Usually you would have:  \\Host_PC_network_name\Folder_name\Filename
I do not know how got the wrong path. Did you type it in manually?

The easiest method to the UNC path is via StandardFolderDialog{} class. Here
is a quick example:

LOCAL oStandardFolderDialog := StandardFolderDialog{SELF, "Choose Folder"}
AS StandardFolderDialog

    oStandardFolderDialog:Show()

    IF !Empty(oStandardFolderDialog:FolderName)
        infoBox{,"", oStandardFolderDialog:FolderName}:Show()
    ENDIF

Jamal

"Kuno Egger"  wrote in message

I get error 21 on a network if I try to access data using a file path
containing a network alias name instead of a mapped drive:

Wrong: \\Host_PC_network_name\\C\\Folder_name\Filename

Right: Z:\Folder_name\Filename

0
Jamal
12/17/2016 4:59:40 AM
Replying on message of Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:15:10 -0800 (PST) from Kuno
Egger:

 Hello Kuno,

This is what Phil replied to me on a similair question on July 17th:

>I open DBSERVER to UNC paths fine..
>
>SetDefault('\\2012-pdc\zz_DATA\')
>
>oDB := DBSERVER{"mydata"}

Dick
Dear Kuno Egger:

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 5:15:11 PM UTC-7, Kuno Egger wrote:
> I get error 21 on a network if I try to access
> data using a file path containing a network
> alias name instead of a mapped drive:
>=20
> Wrong: \\Host_PC_network_name\\C\\Folder_name\Filename
>=20
> Right: Z:\Folder_name\Filename

There is an error in the UNC path name above
\\Host_PC_network_name\C\Folder_name\Filename
.... assuming the "shared name" of the drive is "C"

I have encountered an error accessing peer-to-peer shared network resources=
, if the problem machine had a valid Micro$haft account connection (almost =
required when installing Windoze 10 the first time, but less so that previo=
us versions... opt out is more obvious).

I wonder if access of "drive letter mapped" connections is still faster tha=
n UNC mapped connections, for directory and file creations?

David A. Smith
0
dlzc