Emailing from within VO via reportpro (virtual printer)

Hello All

We currently use ZAN image printer but the producers have disappeared.
No support, no buying new copies.

Does anyone have any of the following?

1 - A recommended AND supported virtual printer.

2 - A Reportpro to PDF converter.

3 - Emailing from within VO code.

Any ideas valid as we are now on a time bomb regarding emailing. Not
worried about a combination solution.

Thanks

Martin
0
Martin
11/14/2016 12:01:45 PM
comp.clipper.visual-objects 12618 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Replying on message of Mon, 14 Nov 2016 12:01:45 +0000 from Martin:

 Hello Martin,

>2 - A Reportpro to PDF converter.

Report Pro 2.16 or maybe 2.17 has a native PDF print support. No need
to go to external tools.

>3 - Emailing from within VO code.

We started to use Chilkat after we found a couple of things would take
too much time to implement. The built in libraries from VO, written by
Sven Ebert are quite good although we made a lot of modifications,
before we used Chilkat.

Dick
Bullzip PDF printer works well as a printer. There are other good ones
too. Fab zip works well directly in VO but it is a lot more work.

You can use the e-mail code provided with VO to e-mail. Geoff also has
an e-mail add-on that works well.

James

On 16-11-14 07:01 AM, Martin wrote:
> Hello All
>
> We currently use ZAN image printer but the producers have disappeared.
> No support, no buying new copies.
>
> Does anyone have any of the following?
>
> 1 - A recommended AND supported virtual printer.
>
> 2 - A Reportpro to PDF converter.
>
> 3 - Emailing from within VO code.
>
> Any ideas valid as we are now on a time bomb regarding emailing. Not
> worried about a combination solution.
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin
0
James
11/14/2016 4:16:21 PM
Hi all,
Am 14.11.2016 um 16:59 schrieb D.J.W. van Kooten:
> Replying on message of Mon, 14 Nov 2016 12:01:45 +0000 from Martin:
>

>  Hello Martin,
>
>> 2 - A Reportpro to PDF converter.
>
> Report Pro 2.16 or maybe 2.17 has a native PDF print support. No need
> to go to external tools.
ReportPro PDFs are very big, I'm using PDFCreator for better and smaller
PDFs.

>> 3 - Emailing from within VO code.
>
> We started to use Chilkat after we found a couple of things would take
> too much time to implement. The built in libraries from VO, written by
> Sven Ebert are quite good although we made a lot of modifications,
> before we used Chilkat.
Why not use cEMail and CSmtp classes to send mails? It takes about 20
lines of code to send an email.

Regards, Franz
0
Franz
11/15/2016 5:56:46 AM
Franz,
>ReportPro PDFs are very big, I'm using PDFCreator for better and smaller
>PDFs.
that's because by default they embed the fonts... Look under the
"advanced pdf-settings" - there are options to compress and to NOT
embed fonst. Shrinks a usual file to <100k.

Karl
Regards

Karl
0
Karl
11/15/2016 8:10:31 AM
Hi Karl,
where can I find a full description of "advanced pdf-settings"? I only
know the Flags Compressed=1 and EmbedFonts=0 in the RPWIN.INI file.
Regards, Franz

Am 15.11.2016 um 09:10 schrieb Karl Faller:
> Franz,
>> ReportPro PDFs are very big, I'm using PDFCreator for better and smaller
>> PDFs.
> that's because by default they embed the fonts... Look under the
> "advanced pdf-settings" - there are options to compress and to NOT
> embed fonst. Shrinks a usual file to <100k.
>
> Karl
> Regards
>
> Karl

0
Franz
11/15/2016 9:23:36 AM
Hi Franz,

> where can I find a full description of "advanced pdf-settings"? I
> only know the Flags Compressed=1 and EmbedFonts=0 in the RPWIN.INI
> file.

these are the only ones that regard the PDF creation.

Other than these, in the PDF creation you can set title, subject,
author, keywords and creator.

Wolfgang

> Am 15.11.2016 um 09:10 schrieb Karl Faller:
> > Franz,
> > > ReportPro PDFs are very big, I'm using PDFCreator for better and
> > > smaller PDFs.
> > that's because by default they embed the fonts... Look under the
> > "advanced pdf-settings" - there are options to compress and to NOT
> > embed fonst. Shrinks a usual file to <100k.
> >
> > Karl
> > Regards
> >
> > Karl

Wolfgang
11/15/2016 9:42:14 AM
Hi Wolfgang,
I'm using these flags, but the PDF is much more bigger than with
PDFCreator (my Report only has hi-res pics -> Model Sedcard), so I use
PDFCreator instead of ReportPro PDF.
Regards, Franz

Am 15.11.2016 um 10:42 schrieb Wolfgang Riedmann:
> Hi Franz,
>
>> where can I find a full description of "advanced pdf-settings"? I
>> only know the Flags Compressed=1 and EmbedFonts=0 in the RPWIN.INI
>> file.
>
> these are the only ones that regard the PDF creation.
>
> Other than these, in the PDF creation you can set title, subject,
> author, keywords and creator.
>
> Wolfgang
>

>> Am 15.11.2016 um 09:10 schrieb Karl Faller:
>>> Franz,
>>> that's because by default they embed the fonts... Look under the
>>> "advanced pdf-settings" - there are options to compress and to NOT
>>> embed fonst. Shrinks a usual file to <100k.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Karl

0
Franz
11/15/2016 9:55:45 AM
Hi Franz,

In ReportPro (2.17) look in:
File,Print Export,PDF format,Advanced...

Camille

On 15/11/16 10:23, Franz Rachbauer wrote:
> Hi Karl,
> where can I find a full description of "advanced pdf-settings"? I only
> know the Flags Compressed=1 and EmbedFonts=0 in the RPWIN.INI file.
> Regards, Franz
>
> Am 15.11.2016 um 09:10 schrieb Karl Faller:
>> Franz,
>>> ReportPro PDFs are very big, I'm using PDFCreator for better and smaller
>>> PDFs.
>> that's because by default they embed the fonts... Look under the
>> "advanced pdf-settings" - there are options to compress and to NOT
>> embed fonst. Shrinks a usual file to <100k.
>>
>> Karl
>> Regards
>>
>> Karl

0
Camille
11/15/2016 10:33:30 AM
Thanks Camille,
I'm using these Flags "Compress PDF Contents" and "Embed Fonts", but the
size is too big for using it on the web. So I use PDFCreator for less size.

PDFCreator						 239KB
ReportPro with compress and not embed fonts (min)	3351KB
ReportPro with no compress and embed fonts (max)	5819KB

Regards, Franz

Am 15.11.2016 um 11:33 schrieb Camille Kater:
> Hi Franz,
>
> In ReportPro (2.17) look in:
> File,Print Export,PDF format,Advanced...
>
> Camille
>
> On 15/11/16 10:23, Franz Rachbauer wrote:
>> Hi Karl,
>> where can I find a full description of "advanced pdf-settings"? I only
>> know the Flags Compressed=1 and EmbedFonts=0 in the RPWIN.INI file.
>> Regards, Franz
>>
>> Am 15.11.2016 um 09:10 schrieb Karl Faller:
>>> Franz,
>>> that's because by default they embed the fonts... Look under the
>>> "advanced pdf-settings" - there are options to compress and to NOT
>>> embed fonst. Shrinks a usual file to <100k.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Karl

0
Franz
11/15/2016 10:55:38 AM
Hi Franz,

> I'm using these flags, but the PDF is much more bigger than with
> PDFCreator (my Report only has hi-res pics -> Model Sedcard), so I
> use PDFCreator instead of ReportPro PDF.  Regards, Franz

maybe ReportPro's compressing algorithms to compress bitmaps are not so
good as the ones from PDFCreator.

Sometimes I'm unsign PDFFactory, and there I can setup even the
resolution of the bitmaps... Maybe PDFCreator does something like this.

Wolfgang
0
Wolfgang
11/15/2016 12:43:20 PM
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 11:55:38 +0100, Franz Rachbauer wrote:

>PDFCreator						 239KB
>ReportPro with compress and not embed fonts (min)	3351KB
i take it, this is with "hi res pics"?
You wrote "too big for the web" - then why do you incorporate pic of
MP size?
I'd strongly suspect that PDFC uses some tricks under the hood, i.e.
makes a "low res" version of your "hi res" one ;-).

Karl
Regards

Karl
0
Karl
11/15/2016 4:54:24 PM
Hi Karl,
the model agency has hi res pics of their models, made by prof
photographers. They composite some photos of each model to a hi res
composite called sedcard. This is saved on a server in the local network.

A copy of it is published on their website for downloading it by
interested companies. But the download should be of low res because of
some reasons. They do these two steps in a single job. If they would
make a special low res sedcard, they would have to do 2 jobs.

But I don't have a problem with creating PDFs, I use PDFCreator, which
makes a good job. I only did a response to Dicks post.

Regards, Franz

Am 15.11.2016 um 17:54 schrieb Karl Faller:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 11:55:38 +0100, Franz Rachbauer wrote:
>
>> PDFCreator						 239KB
>> ReportPro with compress and not embed fonts (min)	3351KB
> i take it, this is with "hi res pics"?
> You wrote "too big for the web" - then why do you incorporate pic of
> MP size?
> I'd strongly suspect that PDFC uses some tricks under the hood, i.e.
> makes a "low res" version of your "hi res" one ;-).
>
> Karl
> Regards
>
> Karl

0
Franz
11/15/2016 7:10:17 PM
Replying on message of Mon, 14 Nov 2016 11:16:21 -0500 from James
Martin:

 Hello James,

>You can use the e-mail code provided with VO to e-mail. Geoff also has
>an e-mail add-on that works well.

Geoff's improved code was vastly superior to the standard lib of VO.
We started with his code and he we sent our comments and improvements
and Geoff improved a lot too. A kind of VPS except Geoff didn't even
charge anybody.

But the totally rewritten code of Sven Ebert was a lot faster (e.g. in
decoding attachments) and it could handle more mails which didn't
decode correctly with the original VO internet library.

Dick
I was actually referring to a service he wrote where all the e-mail goes
through his e-mail server.

James

On 16-11-16 11:00 AM, D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:
> Replying on message of Mon, 14 Nov 2016 11:16:21 -0500 from James
> Martin:
>

>  Hello James,
>
>> You can use the e-mail code provided with VO to e-mail. Geoff also has
>> an e-mail add-on that works well.
>>

> Geoff's improved code was vastly superior to the standard lib of VO.
> We started with his code and he we sent our comments and improvements
> and Geoff improved a lot too. A kind of VPS except Geoff didn't even
> charge anybody.
>
> But the totally rewritten code of Sven Ebert was a lot faster (e.g. in
> decoding attachments) and it could handle more mails which didn't
> decode correctly with the original VO internet library.
>

> Dick

0
James
11/16/2016 4:20:25 PM
Thanks all

I will have a look at these.

It will be called from batch invoicing, so it will have to create about
50 to 100 invoices and then email them.

On 14/11/2016 15:59, D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:
> Replying on message of Mon, 14 Nov 2016 12:01:45 +0000 from Martin:
>

>  Hello Martin,
>
>> 2 - A Reportpro to PDF converter.
>
> Report Pro 2.16 or maybe 2.17 has a native PDF print support. No need
> to go to external tools.
>>
>> 3 - Emailing from within VO code.
>
> We started to use Chilkat after we found a couple of things would take
> too much time to implement. The built in libraries from VO, written by
> Sven Ebert are quite good although we made a lot of modifications,
> before we used Chilkat.
>
> Dick

0
Martin
11/17/2016 10:44:30 AM
Replying on message of Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:44:30 +0000 from Martin:

 Hello Martin,

>It will be called from batch invoicing, so it will have to create about
>50 to 100 invoices and then email them.

One thing you need to be aware off: many providers limit the number of
mails you can send in a certain amount of time to prevent servers
being used to spam. You many need to check the rules of a provider and
insert waiting times in your program.

Dick
Thanks for the advice Dick, I will have a look for these emailing
extensions and do some test code, I do have some leeway but with our
client NLA I do not have forever.

Martin

On 17/11/2016 12:52, D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:
> Replying on message of Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:44:30 +0000 from Martin:
>

>  Hello Martin,
>
>> It will be called from batch invoicing, so it will have to create about
>> 50 to 100 invoices and then email them.
>
> One thing you need to be aware off: many providers limit the number of
> mails you can send in a certain amount of time to prevent servers
> being used to spam. You many need to check the rules of a provider and
> insert waiting times in your program.
>
> Dick

0
Martin
11/18/2016 10:31:04 AM
Currently we are already sending emails through company email addresses
doing this

On 17/11/2016 12:52, D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:
> Replying on message of Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:44:30 +0000 from Martin:
>

>  Hello Martin,
>
>> It will be called from batch invoicing, so it will have to create about
>> 50 to 100 invoices and then email them.
>
> One thing you need to be aware off: many providers limit the number of
> mails you can send in a certain amount of time to prevent servers
> being used to spam. You many need to check the rules of a provider and
> insert waiting times in your program.
>
> Dick

0
Martin