reportpro pdf files blank on apple devices

Hi

Our program uses Report Pro 2.16j to create reports as PDF files.

Over the past month or so many of our clients are having problems opening the PDFs on Apple devices - the PDFs are showing as blank in the Apple Previewer.

If they install the Acrobat app the PDFs display ok but not all are happy to do that.

Has anyone else seen this issue and/or have a workaround?

Thanks

Leigh
0
leigh1824
12/6/2016 1:46:41 PM
comp.clipper.visual-objects 12618 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Replying on message of Tue, 6 Dec 2016 05:46:41 -0800 (PST) from
leigh1824@gmail.com:

 Hello Leigh,

>Our program uses Report Pro 2.16j to create reports as PDF files.
>Over the past month or so many of our clients are having problems opening the PDFs on Apple devices - the PDFs are showing as blank in the Apple Previewer.
>
>If they install the Acrobat app the PDFs display ok but not all are happy to do that.
>
>Has anyone else seen this issue and/or have a workaround?

Yes, I think we have heard about the issue too. At least, my client
last Friday said that some clients "could not open their PDFs" (sent
exactly the same as you do) without further details.

So it's Apple this time; last time it was Google Chrome. This was
solved a few weeks later. I recommended the clients to use Firefox
instead of Chrome. Can't these users buy a decent Windows PC? That
always works perfectly <g>.

Unfortunately, a bit of searching did not reveal a solution yet. I
hope someone else has found it.

Dick

is this problem only with ReportPro created PDFs or also with PDFs made
by a PDF printer driver?

Franz

Am 06.12.2016 um 17:35 schrieb D.J.W. van Kooten:
> Replying on message of Tue, 6 Dec 2016 05:46:41 -0800 (PST) from
> leigh1824@gmail.com:
>

>  Hello Leigh,
>
>> Our program uses Report Pro 2.16j to create reports as PDF files.
>> Over the past month or so many of our clients are having problems opening the PDFs on Apple devices - the PDFs are showing as blank in the Apple Previewer.
>>
>> If they install the Acrobat app the PDFs display ok but not all are happy to do that.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this issue and/or have a workaround?
>>

> Yes, I think we have heard about the issue too. At least, my client
> last Friday said that some clients "could not open their PDFs" (sent
> exactly the same as you do) without further details.
>
> So it's Apple this time; last time it was Google Chrome. This was
> solved a few weeks later. I recommended the clients to use Firefox
> instead of Chrome. Can't these users buy a decent Windows PC? That
> always works perfectly <g>.
>
> Unfortunately, a bit of searching did not reveal a solution yet. I
> hope someone else has found it.
>
> Dick

0
Franz
12/7/2016 5:52:46 AM
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 5:52:59 AM UTC, Franz Rachbauer wrote:
> Hi,
> is this problem only with ReportPro created PDFs or also with PDFs made
> by a PDF printer driver?
>
> Franz
>
> Am 06.12.2016 um 17:35 schrieb D.J.W. van Kooten:
> > Replying on message of Tue, 6 Dec 2016 05:46:41 -0800 (PST) from
> > leigh1824@gmail.com:
> >

> >  Hello Leigh,
> >
> >> Our program uses Report Pro 2.16j to create reports as PDF files.
> >> Over the past month or so many of our clients are having problems opening the PDFs on Apple devices - the PDFs are showing as blank in the Apple Previewer.
> >>
> >> If they install the Acrobat app the PDFs display ok but not all are happy to do that.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else seen this issue and/or have a workaround?
> >>

> > Yes, I think we have heard about the issue too. At least, my client
> > last Friday said that some clients "could not open their PDFs" (sent
> > exactly the same as you do) without further details.
> >
> > So it's Apple this time; last time it was Google Chrome. This was
> > solved a few weeks later. I recommended the clients to use Firefox
> > instead of Chrome. Can't these users buy a decent Windows PC? That
> > always works perfectly <g>.
> >
> > Unfortunately, a bit of searching did not reveal a solution yet. I
> > hope someone else has found it.
> >
> > Dick

PDFs created by ReportPro printing to PDF995 are ok but it is a much slower process.

Leigh
0
Leigh
12/7/2016 8:49:54 AM
Replying on message of Wed, 7 Dec 2016 00:49:54 -0800 (PST) from
Leigh:

 Hello Leigh,

>PDFs created by ReportPro printing to PDF995 are ok but it is a much slower process.

Indeed. It seems that e.g. CutePDF does work.

Dick

Anyone tested it with Foxi Reader ?
https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/

kind regards,
Frans
0
Frans
12/7/2016 10:58:56 AM
On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 1:46:42 PM UTC, leig...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Our program uses Report Pro 2.16j to create reports as PDF files.
>
> Over the past month or so many of our clients are having problems opening the PDFs on Apple devices - the PDFs are showing as blank in the Apple Previewer.
>
> If they install the Acrobat app the PDFs display ok but not all are happy to do that.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue and/or have a workaround?
>
> Thanks
>
> Leigh

We have a workaround now by using Ghostscript to convert the ReportPro PDFs to v1.5 PDFs.
Our clients already have Ghostscript as part of pdf995.

Leigh
0
leigh1824
12/8/2016 11:20:51 AM
Replying on message of Thu, 8 Dec 2016 03:20:51 -0800 (PST) from
leigh1824@gmail.com:

 Hello Leigh,

>We have a workaround now by using Ghostscript to convert the ReportPro PDFs to v1.5 PDFs.
>Our clients already have Ghostscript as part of pdf995.

So if I understand you correctly, you keep creating the PDF from
ReportPro and then you use Ghostscript to make a PDF from a PDF? And
the first one doesn't read in standard Apple stuff (Mac?) and the 2nd
does?

Can you find out where the first PDF differs from the 2nd?

Probably it's only a few bytes in the header or something.

Dick
Replying on message of Tue, 6 Dec 2016 05:46:41 -0800 (PST) from
leigh1824@gmail.com:

 Hello Leight,

The client of my client who received ReportPro created PDF's just
informed me that an Apple update solved the problem!

Dick
On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 9:37:55 PM UTC, D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:
> Replying on message of Tue, 6 Dec 2016 05:46:41 -0800 (PST) from
> leigh1824@gmail.com:
>

>  Hello Leight,
>
> The client of my client who received ReportPro created PDF's just
> informed me that an Apple update solved the problem!
>
> Dick

Hi Dick

Yes we are seeing this too.

We also think we know what the issue is now.

There is a section of compressed data in the PDF file and just before it is a header with the length of that compressed section.

Looks like this:
<</Filter /FlateDecode /Length 4640>>

ReportPro is putting in the uncompressed length (4640) rather than the compressed length (960).

If you edit the PDF file and change the length to the compressed size it opens ok, and the PDF file also validates as a PDF 1.3 as well.

Leigh
0
leigh1824
12/18/2016 11:19:11 AM
Replying on message of Sun, 18 Dec 2016 03:19:11 -0800 (PST) from
leigh1824@gmail.com:

 Hello Leigh,

>We also think we know what the issue is now.
>There is a section of compressed data in the PDF file and just before it is a header with the length of that compressed section.
>
>Looks like this:
><</Filter /FlateDecode /Length 4640>>
>
>ReportPro is putting in the uncompressed length (4640) rather than the compressed length (960).
>
>If you edit the PDF file and change the length to the compressed size it opens ok, and the PDF file also validates as a PDF 1.3 as well.

That's quite an achievement.

Could come in handy if it goes wrong again without a repair.

Dick