Windows Mail

Does anyone know the criteria used by Windows Mail to identify Junk Mail?

I have the option set - Remove obvious Junk Mail to Junk Mail Folder.

I am not joking, but the only mail that gets sent to Junk is Mail from CA!
Really!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Terry Bourne

0
Terry
10/6/2007 1:08:16 PM
comp.clipper.visual-objects 12618 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Terry,

Have you bothered to look at your junk mail settings? <g>
Are your updates up to date?
Are you on Outlook 2007?

It all works great here, well at least within the limited parameters
that it sets for itself. By far the greatest junk mail filtering occurs
at the ISP level as most ISPs provide junk mail filtering for your mail
accounts at their level.

Geoff

"Terry Bourne" <te.bourne@ringwayinfosys.co.uk> wrote in message

> Does anyone know the criteria used by Windows Mail to identify Junk Mail?
>
> I have the option set - Remove obvious Junk Mail to Junk Mail Folder.
>
> I am not joking, but the only mail that gets sent to Junk is Mail from CA!
> Really!
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?
>
> Terry Bourne

0
Geoff
10/7/2007 1:33:54 AM
Geoff

Thanks for comments
> Have you bothered to look at your junk mail settings? <g>

Yes - set as low- Move the most obvious junk e-mail to Junk E-Mail folder

> Are your updates up to date?

Yes - updates done automatically using Windows Update.

> Are you on Outlook 2007?
No. I am talking about Windows Mail - Installed with Vista as successor to
Outlook.

> By far the greatest junk mail filtering occurs at the ISP level as most
> ISPs provide junk mail filtering for your mail accounts at their level.

I thought it was something like that and expected the same thing with
Microsoft's latest offering. But all sorts of junk gets through with the
noticeable exception of CA stuff.
Seems a bit of an irony especially with much trumpeted co-operation between
MS and CA!

Terry

> "Terry Bourne" <te.bourne@ringwayinfosys.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Does anyone know the criteria used by Windows Mail to identify Junk Mail?
>>
>> I have the option set - Remove obvious Junk Mail to Junk Mail Folder.
>>
>> I am not joking, but the only mail that gets sent to Junk is Mail from
>> CA!
>> Really!
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed this?
>>
>> Terry Bourne

0
Terry
10/7/2007 9:46:17 AM
Too much of a conspiracy theory looking in there for me <g>.

Ok, so you are referring to Outlook Express (and its next incantation).

Mail clients don't really do much on the junk mail thing, it is more a
property of the mail server and that is the best place for it. Having
said that, Outlook 2007 is not too bad.

> Geoff
>
> Thanks for comments
> > Have you bothered to look at your junk mail settings? <g>
>
> Yes - set as low- Move the most obvious junk e-mail to Junk E-Mail folder
>
> > Are your updates up to date?
>
> Yes - updates done automatically using Windows Update.
>
> > Are you on Outlook 2007?
> No. I am talking about Windows Mail - Installed with Vista as successor to
> Outlook.
>

> > By far the greatest junk mail filtering occurs at the ISP level as most
> > ISPs provide junk mail filtering for your mail accounts at their level.
>
> I thought it was something like that and expected the same thing with
> Microsoft's latest offering. But all sorts of junk gets through with the
> noticeable exception of CA stuff.
> Seems a bit of an irony especially with much trumpeted co-operation between
> MS and CA!
>
> Terry
>

> > "Terry Bourne" <te.bourne@ringwayinfosys.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> >> Does anyone know the criteria used by Windows Mail to identify Junk Mail?
> >>
> >> I have the option set - Remove obvious Junk Mail to Junk Mail Folder.
> >>
> >> I am not joking, but the only mail that gets sent to Junk is Mail from
> >> CA!
> >> Really!
> >>
> >> Has anyone else noticed this?
> >>
> >> Terry Bourne

0
Geoff
10/7/2007 11:24:02 AM
Geoff

> Too much of a conspiracy theory looking in there for me <g>.

Plenty of scope for setting false hares running I guess!

> Ok, so you are referring to Outlook Express (and its next incantation).

To what extent Windows Mail builds on either Outlook or Outlook Express I
don't know.
I have Windows Mail Version 6.0.6000.1386 (2006)

> Mail clients don't really do much on the junk mail thing, it is more a
> property of the mail server and that is the best place for it.

Yes - but I haven't changed ISP (British Telecom). The reason I flagged this
up was that I have observed this (rejection of CA stuff) consistently over
about 4 months now. Far too frequently to be dismissed as "just one of those
things". I never saw the same with earlier versions of either Outlook or OE
with same ISP. Furthermore, if the filtering was being done wholly on the
server, I would have expected promotional literature from the likes of IBM
and  Intel (as well as MS) to be similarly affected: it does not appear to
be.

>Having said that, Outlook 2007 is not too bad.

Thanks I've not tried latest Outlook.

Terry

> "Terry Bourne" <te.bourne@ringwayinfosys.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Geoff
>>
>> Thanks for comments
>> > Have you bothered to look at your junk mail settings? <g>
>>
>> Yes - set as low- Move the most obvious junk e-mail to Junk E-Mail folder
>>
>> > Are your updates up to date?
>>
>> Yes - updates done automatically using Windows Update.
>>
>> > Are you on Outlook 2007?
>> No. I am talking about Windows Mail - Installed with Vista as successor
>> Outlook.
>>

>> > By far the greatest junk mail filtering occurs at the ISP level as most
>> > ISPs provide junk mail filtering for your mail accounts at their level.
>>
>> I thought it was something like that and expected the same thing with
>> Microsoft's latest offering. But all sorts of junk gets through with the
>> noticeable exception of CA stuff.
>> Seems a bit of an irony especially with much trumpeted co-operation
>> between
>> MS and CA!
>>
>> Terry
>>

>> > "Terry Bourne" <te.bourne@ringwayinfosys.co.uk> wrote in message