X# compiled my Vulcan program

As a Fox member I have installed the latest release of X# to find if I
could get my first Vulcan program (a Teletext Newsbrowers, see
tt.ic2.com, Dutch only) to work.

And it worked! I had to make a few adaptions, some to allow some
specific Vulcan dialect (instead of what is called the X# Core
language) and one to deal with an array initialization problem (which
Chris is going to fix) but after that: it just worked. From VS 2015.
Or Xide.

I am going to see if I can port all my other Vulcan programs to X#.
For now, I am impressed with the fact that in about 1 year, X# has
come to this level. Note that you do not need Fox to use X#, X# is
open source, although Fox has proven to be very useful to get excelent
support.

If the other programs work as well, and the upcoming changes (expected
this year) in Intellisense etc. are finished, I think there would be
no reason to stay with Vulcan anymore. The Vulcan NG, even chitchat
and Pearls, and of course Grafx public announcements, has come to a
virtual standstill while traffic on the X# NG increases. The same of
course goes for the speed of product development.

Dick
comp.clipper.visual-objects 12618 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi Dick,

it is to say that X# now from a language standpoint is superior to
Vulcan.NET, thanks to Roslyn.
X# can define generics, can use LinQ, can use the CallerMemberName
attribute name, has an extended events definition syntax (where it is
possible to define add/remove actions), knows "interpolated" strings
and a lot more things that C# knows, but Vulcan.NET unfortunately not.

A lot of my X# code would not compile in Vulcan.NET...

Wolfgang

D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:

> As a Fox member I have installed the latest release of X# to find if I
> could get my first Vulcan program (a Teletext Newsbrowers, see
> tt.ic2.com, Dutch only) to work.
>
> And it worked! I had to make a few adaptions, some to allow some
> specific Vulcan dialect (instead of what is called the X# Core
> language) and one to deal with an array initialization problem (which
> Chris is going to fix) but after that: it just worked. From VS 2015.
> Or Xide.
>
> I am going to see if I can port all my other Vulcan programs to X#.
> For now, I am impressed with the fact that in about 1 year, X# has
> come to this level. Note that you do not need Fox to use X#, X# is
> open source, although Fox has proven to be very useful to get excelent
> support.
>
> If the other programs work as well, and the upcoming changes (expected
> this year) in Intellisense etc. are finished, I think there would be
> no reason to stay with Vulcan anymore. The Vulcan NG, even chitchat
> and Pearls, and of course Grafx public announcements, has come to a
> virtual standstill while traffic on the X# NG increases. The same of
> course goes for the speed of product development.
>
> Dick

Wolfgang
11/11/2016 2:56:50 PM
Hi Stavros,

> How about VO transfer to X#?? What is the state on this?

We recently started working on a tool that will convert .aef files into
x# projects. I expect this will be ready within one or two months and by
that time also the compiler should be able to compile almost all
existing VO code (except if you are using stuff like PUBLICs, MEMVARs
etc, implementing support for those will take some more months).

Chris
(x# team)

ps. we haven't met or heard from each other for a long time now, hope
you're doing well!

0
Chris
11/12/2016 1:01:01 AM
How about VO transfer to X#?? What is the state on this?
0
stavros
11/12/2016 9:45:54 AM
All fine Chris! Still in VO and very productive... I ll try to contact you for some info.
0
stavros
11/12/2016 9:21:15 PM
Hi Dick (and others)

But I believe that we still need Vulcan for accessing DBF-files.
Is this correct?

Cheers, Dirk (Belgium)

D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:

> As a Fox member I have installed the latest release of X# to find if I
> could get my first Vulcan program (a Teletext Newsbrowers, see
> tt.ic2.com, Dutch only) to work.
>
> And it worked! I had to make a few adaptions, some to allow some
> specific Vulcan dialect (instead of what is called the X# Core
> language) and one to deal with an array initialization problem (which
> Chris is going to fix) but after that: it just worked. From VS 2015.
> Or Xide.
>
> I am going to see if I can port all my other Vulcan programs to X#.
> For now, I am impressed with the fact that in about 1 year, X# has
> come to this level. Note that you do not need Fox to use X#, X# is
> open source, although Fox has proven to be very useful to get excelent
> support.
>
> If the other programs work as well, and the upcoming changes (expected
> this year) in Intellisense etc. are finished, I think there would be
> no reason to stay with Vulcan anymore. The Vulcan NG, even chitchat
> and Pearls, and of course Grafx public announcements, has come to a
> virtual standstill while traffic on the X# NG increases. The same of
> course goes for the speed of product development.
>
> Dick

0
Dirk
11/14/2016 8:31:36 AM
Hi Dirk,

> But I believe that we still need Vulcan for accessing DBF-files.
> Is this correct?

yes, currently it is correct, but it will change in the future when the
X# development team finishes both the RDDs and the runtime libraries.

The X# team announced that the X# RDDs will be full managed code, and
can be run also in x64 mode, whereas the Vulcan.NET RDDs are running
only x86.

Wolfgang

> D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:
>
> > As a Fox member I have installed the latest release of X# to find
> > if I could get my first Vulcan program (a Teletext Newsbrowers, see
> > tt.ic2.com, Dutch only) to work.
> >
> > And it worked! I had to make a few adaptions, some to allow some
> > specific Vulcan dialect (instead of what is called the X# Core
> > language) and one to deal with an array initialization problem
> > (which Chris is going to fix) but after that: it just worked. From
> > VS 2015.  Or Xide.
> >
> > I am going to see if I can port all my other Vulcan programs to X#.
> > For now, I am impressed with the fact that in about 1 year, X# has
> > come to this level. Note that you do not need Fox to use X#, X# is
> > open source, although Fox has proven to be very useful to get
> > excelent support.
> >
> > If the other programs work as well, and the upcoming changes
> > (expected this year) in Intellisense etc. are finished, I think
> > there would be no reason to stay with Vulcan anymore. The Vulcan
> > NG, even chitchat and Pearls, and of course Grafx public
> > announcements, has come to a virtual standstill while traffic on
> > the X# NG increases. The same of course goes for the speed of
> > product development.
> >
> > Dick

Wolfgang
11/14/2016 8:56:49 AM
Wow,

That's very nice to hear!

Dirk

==================================

Wolfgang Riedmann wrote:

> Hi Dirk,
>
> > But I believe that we still need Vulcan for accessing DBF-files.
> > Is this correct?
>

> yes, currently it is correct, but it will change in the future when
> the X# development team finishes both the RDDs and the runtime
> libraries.
>
> The X# team announced that the X# RDDs will be full managed code, and
> can be run also in x64 mode, whereas the Vulcan.NET RDDs are running
> only x86.
>
> Wolfgang

> > D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:
> >
> > > As a Fox member I have installed the latest release of X# to find
> > > if I could get my first Vulcan program (a Teletext Newsbrowers,
> > > see tt.ic2.com, Dutch only) to work.
> > >
> > > And it worked! I had to make a few adaptions, some to allow some
> > > specific Vulcan dialect (instead of what is called the X# Core
> > > language) and one to deal with an array initialization problem
> > > (which Chris is going to fix) but after that: it just worked. From
> > > VS 2015.  Or Xide.
> > >
> > > I am going to see if I can port all my other Vulcan programs to
> > > X#.  For now, I am impressed with the fact that in about 1 year,
> > > X# has come to this level. Note that you do not need Fox to use
> > > X#, X# is open source, although Fox has proven to be very useful
> > > to get excelent support.
> > >
> > > If the other programs work as well, and the upcoming changes
> > > (expected this year) in Intellisense etc. are finished, I think
> > > there would be no reason to stay with Vulcan anymore. The Vulcan
> > > NG, even chitchat and Pearls, and of course Grafx public
> > > announcements, has come to a virtual standstill while traffic on
> > > the X# NG increases. The same of course goes for the speed of
> > > product development.
> > >
> > > Dick

0
Dirk
11/15/2016 7:51:31 AM
Hi Wolfgang,

I am waiting for this capability.  And this is great.  ADS should be running fast on this one.

When this things ok, I will start seriously on X#.  And also when someone will tell me bBrowser for Vulcan compiles in X# and/or Joachim announces a bBrowser for X#.

Regards,

Rene

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 4:56:53 PM UTC+8, Wolfgang Riedmann wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> > But I believe that we still need Vulcan for accessing DBF-files.
> > Is this correct?
>

> yes, currently it is correct, but it will change in the future when the
> X# development team finishes both the RDDs and the runtime libraries.
>
> The X# team announced that the X# RDDs will be full managed code, and
> can be run also in x64 mode, whereas the Vulcan.NET RDDs are running
> only x86.
>
> Wolfgang

> > D.J.W. van Kooten wrote:
> >
> > > As a Fox member I have installed the latest release of X# to find
> > > if I could get my first Vulcan program (a Teletext Newsbrowers, see
> > > tt.ic2.com, Dutch only) to work.
> > >
> > > And it worked! I had to make a few adaptions, some to allow some
> > > specific Vulcan dialect (instead of what is called the X# Core
> > > language) and one to deal with an array initialization problem
> > > (which Chris is going to fix) but after that: it just worked. From
> > > VS 2015.  Or Xide.
> > >
> > > I am going to see if I can port all my other Vulcan programs to X#.
> > > For now, I am impressed with the fact that in about 1 year, X# has
> > > come to this level. Note that you do not need Fox to use X#, X# is
> > > open source, although Fox has proven to be very useful to get
> > > excelent support.
> > >
> > > If the other programs work as well, and the upcoming changes
> > > (expected this year) in Intellisense etc. are finished, I think
> > > there would be no reason to stay with Vulcan anymore. The Vulcan
> > > NG, even chitchat and Pearls, and of course Grafx public
> > > announcements, has come to a virtual standstill while traffic on
> > > the X# NG increases. The same of course goes for the speed of
> > > product development.
> > >
> > > Dick
>

> --
0
Rene
11/29/2016 2:15:00 AM
Hi Rene,

> When this things ok, I will start seriously on X#.  And also when
> someone will tell me bBrowser for Vulcan compiles in X# and/or
> Joachim announces a bBrowser for X#.

I can tell you that I have already tried to compile bBrowser 4 for
Vulcan.NET with the current X# build, and most of the code compiles now.

And the X# development team will take care that these libraries
compile, to make also sure other VO code compiles.
You can be pretty sure that bBrowser.NET will run happily when compiled
with X#, before the X# runtime is available.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
11/29/2016 6:19:25 AM
I have already brought a lot of code from Vulcan X # with excellent results.
I am looking forward to the X # Runtime for "Any CPU code"

Danilo

"D.J.W. van Kooten"  ha scritto nel messaggio

[...]

11/29/2016 7:29:02 AM
Hi Wolfgang,

I have full confidence of the team X#.
Can't wait joining Fox.
Just a thought.  Next week, I will try to convert my C# code that migrate A=
DS table to Excel (.xls format) in either direction: table to xls, and back=
..  This code, I using ADS ADO.Net connector.  I want to see first hand how =
X# handles it.  And I am really anxious to use RDD on this.  Although ADS A=
DO.NEt classes works great, but I prefer to use the same RDD approach.  Thi=
s same project, I will use X# to migration ADS table to PostgreSQL using De=
vart dotConnect for Postgres which I am using on another MVC Core project r=
ight now.  This is the area I will heavily use X# in the future: table to P=
ostgreSQL sync: local and Azure.  Most probably with WCF too.  I am attract=
ed to X# due to the inherent support for x64, Vulcan.NET failed to do.  We =
are heavy user on Azure cloud data right now.  Long way.... and X# will be =
there for us.  Too many VO code to carry.... to X#.

Regards,

Rene

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 2:19:30 PM UTC+8, Wolfgang Riedmann wrote:
> Hi Rene,
>=20
> > When this things ok, I will start seriously on X#.  And also when
> > someone will tell me bBrowser for Vulcan compiles in X# and/or
> > Joachim announces a bBrowser for X#.
>=20
> I can tell you that I have already tried to compile bBrowser 4 for
> Vulcan.NET with the current X# build, and most of the code compiles now.
>=20
> And the X# development team will take care that these libraries
> compile, to make also sure other VO code compiles.
> You can be pretty sure that bBrowser.NET will run happily when compiled
> with X#, before the X# runtime is available.
>=20
>=20
> Wolfgang
>=20
> --

0
Rene
12/1/2016 2:29:32 PM
Hi Rene,

> I have full confidence of the team X#.

the best support in VO we ever had was by Robert v.d. Hulst, and he was
also the guy that made VO a lot more stable. Not everyone has the
patience to search and fix bugs - and having Robert as head of the X#
group let me jump onto the X# train a year ago, and until now my
expectations was more than fulfilled. Add the excellent support of
Chris Pyrgas, combined with the background work of Nikos Kokkalis and
Fabrice Foray, and you have the receipt for a excellent tool.

I have selected X# for a few reasons: first I like the Xbase syntax and
I think code is more readable. Second the group gives excellent
support, more than worth the money it costs. And third they are very
open to requests and wishes (again more than worth the money!)

> Can't wait joining Fox.

if you join before end of January, you will save money too.

For me, joining is not only important to help finance a bit, but also
to show the support for this project.

> Just a thought.  Next week, I will try to convert my C# code that
> migrate ADS table to Excel (.xls format) in either direction: table
> to xls, and back.  This code, I using ADS ADO.Net connector.  I want
> to see first hand how X# handles it.  And I am really anxious to use
> RDD on this.  Although ADS ADO.NEt classes works great, but I prefer
> to use the same RDD approach.

I'm using the Vulcan ADS RDD combined with the BYOR support in a
development project - until now all my production apps in X# are using
an SQL database or no database at all.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
12/2/2016 7:31:48 AM
Replying on message of Fri, 2 Dec 2016 08:31:48 +0100 from Wolfgang
Riedmann:

 Hello Wolfgang,

I full second all you wrote the X# team, the support and the
importance of joining Fox.

>I'm using the Vulcan ADS RDD combined with the BYOR support in a
>development project - until now all my production apps in X# are using
>an SQL database or no database at all.

That's what my next Vulcan program I want to convert needs. Is there
anything special I need to know before being able to use ADS? (both to
read/write DBF files as to exectute ADS SQL statements on the same DBF
files.

Dick
Hi Dick,

> > I'm using the Vulcan ADS RDD combined with the BYOR support in a
> > development project - until now all my production apps in X# are
> > using an SQL database or no database at all.
> >
> That's what my next Vulcan program I want to convert needs. Is there
> anything special I need to know before being able to use ADS? (both to
> read/write DBF files as to exectute ADS SQL statements on the same DBF
> files.

if you have the correct ADS RDD for your Vulcan Runtime there should be
no problem - it simply works.

The main problem I had was to find a correct ADS RDD for the Vulcan 4
runtime because the version SAP had released hat support only for .NET
Framework v2 and not v4.

Out of the box you should also be able to use the ADO.NET client
library of ADS.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang