[Free] Cobol Compiler no longer available

In the list of free compilers, it says "See message 99-06-079 for a
free Cobol compiler with source."  That message points to a file
http://members.xoom.com/rpragana/rpcobol.tar.gz.

The company that ran XOOM.COM has gone out of business, I forget who
bought them.  That domain is now pointing to some other site in a
language other than English, and a search on both GOOGLE and
ALTAVISTA cannot find that file.  If someone has downloaded a copy
and still has it, please send back a message so that it can be
copied to a permanent site.

--
Paul Robinson  "Above all else... We shall go on..."
0

In article <03-07-102@comp.compilers>, Paul Robinson wrote:
> ALTAVISTA cannot find that file.  If someone has downloaded a copy
> and still has it, please send back a message so that it can be
> copied to a permanent site.

Using FTP search from alltheweb.com:

http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=ftp&cs=utf-8&ftype=4&q=rpcobol

--
#include <std/disclaimer.h> /* adamo+news@dblab.ece.ntua.gr */
0
Paul Robinson wrote:
> The company that ran XOOM.COM has gone out of business, I forget who
> bought them.  That domain is now pointing to some other site in a
> language other than English,

It seems to be a telephony provider in the Dominican Republic.
No "members" area though, so the domains hosted at Xoom are probably done.

> and a search on both GOOGLE and ALTAVISTA cannot find that file.  If
> someone has downloaded a copy and still has it, please send back a
> message so that it can be copied to a permanent site.

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/586/2000/11/0/4647766/ quotes
messages from Robert Kovacic stating that he first created RPCobol, then
decided that the name should be changed to Tiny Cobol (for non-technical
reasons).
Tiny Cobol seems to be quite active on SourceForge (see
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tiny-cobol/ ). The author of the
above-cited message is among the project leaders, so I think that this
bit of history is correct. I'd probably drop any references to RPCobol
in favor of Tiny Cobol if I had such references (I'm utterly
disinterested in Cobol myself, and hope I'll never be forced to develop
interest in it, but that's probably not too interesting for those who
seek RPCobol *grin*).

HTH
Jo
0
Joachim
7/17/2003 4:35:18 AM
On 15 Jul 2003 23:42:43 -0400, Paul Robinson
<postmaster@paul.washington.dc.us> wrote:

>In the list of free compilers, it says "See message 99-06-079 for a
>free Cobol compiler with source."  That message points to a file
>http://members.xoom.com/rpragana/rpcobol.tar.gz.

This appears to have morphed into Tiny Cobol.  See www.tinycobol.org.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

0
iddw

Web resources about - [Free] Cobol Compiler no longer available - comp.compilers

Tina Fey returns to 'SNL' as Sarah Palin, basically repeats her verbatim
It was inevitable: After Sarah Palin returned to the national stage this week with a rambling and at times mystifying endorsement of Donald Trump, ...

Tomb Of The Unknown Soldiers Photo: Viral Pictures Show U.S. Army Soldiers Guarding Tomb During East ...
A photo from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers went viral this weekend, showing U.S. Army soldiers continuing to stand guard even as the East ...

Police charge 17-year-old in Canada after 4 shot dead
Police on Saturday charged a 17-year-old boy with four counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of attempted murder in a mass shooting ...

These horses love making snow angels
Some like snow, others despise it Well these majestic beasts are making the most out of their wintery day, thanks to a massive snowstorm that ...

Kerry confident Syria talks can proceed
Reuters Kerry confident Syria talks can proceed Reuters RIYADH U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Saturday he was confident Syria ...

Blue Origin Executes First Successful Relaunch And Landing Of Reusable Rocket
The private sector space race is heating up, and Amazon.com co-founder Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin is back out in front with the first successful ...

Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe star in the strangest movie I've ever seen at the Sundance Film Festival ...
I've seen a lot of weird movies in the nine years I've attended the Sundance Film Festival, but this year, I may have seen the strangest one ...

Stunning Star Wars visual effects breakdown shows how Maz Kanata was brought to life
Much was made of The Force Awakens' return to practical effects after the overly-sanitized look of the prequel trilogy, but make no mistake: ...

John Legend & ‘Underground’ EP On “Slow Moving Change” Of Oscars & Diversity – Sundance
"I think what the Academy did this week is a step in the right direction but it's going to be a slow moving change because the Academy reflects ...

Google to pay millions in British back taxes as criticism mounts worldwide
SAN FRANCISCO — Google will pay about $140 million in British back taxes in a concession driven by a shift in how the Internet company will measure ...