"Principles Of Compiler Design" answers to questions

Hi,

I have recently bought the old/green dragon book "Principles Of
Compiler Design" (1977) - although mine appears to be pink!  It has
questions at the end of every chapter, but doesn't obviously have any
answers to those questions anywhere.  Does anyone know where I can
find the answers to the questions in this book.

Cheers,
Steve.
[You have the semiantique first edition.  People have asked for
answer sheets several times over the years, but none have ever
turned up. -John]

0
steven
3/18/2005 5:46:24 AM
comp.compilers 3310 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Why in some compilers if a function is not declared, the compiler gives out a "warning" and not an "error"??
In ARMCC, and Microsoft C, when i use a function which is never defined or delared, it gives out a warning, not a compiling error? why? (This leads to a bug to my program since I seldom pay much attention to warnings...) Thanks for explanation! In article <0b56ca9a-d285-4b9b-a531-3a276378fea8@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, lostlander <lostlander.tom@gmail.com> wrote: >In ARMCC, and Microsoft C, when i use a function which is never >defined or delared, it gives out a warning, not a compiling error? >why? It might not matter, if it never gets called (which may of cours...

"--mode compile" instead of "--mode=compile" problem with libtool
X-URL: news:comp.unix.solaris?ALL Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Hi! I am trying to compiling Apache on a sparc10 with Solaris 7 and the problem is that libtool don't accept its parameter in the form it should (and says it do in its help) libtool --mode compile do work but libtool --mode=compile do not work, then it just say libtool: invalid operation mode '--modecompile' The way apaches makefile have it is with a "=" but libtool (i have tried both the one that comes with apache and a newer one) don't work then. l...

Questions of a beginner about difference between pattern "compile-time" and "run-time"
Hi! I'm insteresting by a few of time about design pattern. In the book "Design Pattern" of Gangs Of Four I read that some pattern is in compile time (i.e. Abstract Factory) and others are in run-time (es. Decorator). I don't understand this point: the decorator pattern in Java language is used for I/O package. BufferedReader stdin = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in) This is an example of pattern decorator but I know at compile-time the structure of variable stdin because in compile time ( when I read the source code) I see the constructor...

Questions of a beginner about difference between pattern "compile-time" and "run-time" #2
Hi! I'm insteresting by a few of time about design pattern. In the book "Design Pattern" of Gangs Of Four I read that some pattern is in compile time (i.e. Abstract Factory) and others are in run-time (es. Decorator). I don't understand this point: the decorator pattern in Java language is used for I/O package. BufferedReader stdin = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in) This is an example of pattern decorator but I know at compile-time the structure of variable stdin because in compile time ( when I read the source code) I see the constructor...

Is there a difference between a "module" and a "compilation unit" ?
Are they different names for the same concept ? In article <cnir311uhbsds60sh7lsj53pj93qqd40l7@4ax.com> Bob <bob@bob.bob> wrote: >Are they different names for the same concept ? [For clarity about the pronoun "they", I will repeat the subject line for those whose news-delivery systems mangle it:] >Is there a difference between a "module" and a "compilation unit" ? That depends on who does the defining, no? :-) The C standards define the term "translation unit". They do not define either "compilation unit" or "mod...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

DB design: storing "this" or "that" (..or "the other")?
[I realise that this isn't necessarily a question specific to MySQL, but it's the database system that I'm using..] I'm about to create a table to extend a database to allow users to store (via a webform) a particular preference choice setting in the database. At present, the options available to users will be that they can choose: * this xor * that (ie, only 1 of 2 possible values). But I suppose that at some point in the future, we might decide to let users choose 1 from an increased range of choices (1 from n). I was wondering what best practice thinking was on h...

use "old" .so-files with "new" compiler?
Hi, I am quite sure this question has answered here already several times, but I haven't found the answer yet. Anyway, here is the question again: I've got libraries (*.so) that are built with gcc 2.95.2. The gcc version, I've installed on my computer, is 3.xx and I don't have the source files of the libraries. Can I link those libraries without uninstalling my new 3.xx-compiler? Thanx for your answers in advance. Isn't there a secret flag like "gcc -useoldlib"? *g* Philipp "Philipp" <capri.sonne@gmx.de> wrote... > Hi, I am quite sure this q...

Matlab compiler, errors with "get" and "set"
Hi, I'm receiving errors for "get" and "set" commands like follows: Warning: File: c:\matlab6p5p1\toolbox\matlab\uitools\movegui.m Line: 216 Column: 9 References to "get" require the C/C++ Graphics Library when executing in stand-alone mode. You must specify -B sgl or -B sglcpp in order to use the C/C++ Graphics Library. Also, if using the -W option, you must specify either the mainhg or libhg wrapper type. A run-time error will occur if the C/C++ Graphics Library is not present when "get" is called. For some time I didn't receive these errors,...

Updates to "Basics of Compiler Design"
Since I announced the free downloadability of my compiler book "Basics of Compiler Design", I have added several different paper formats and added a few more exercises. You can get the most recent version(s) from http://www.diku.dk/~torbenm/Basics/ . Torben ...

Questions about "compiled" Python (beginner)
I am new to Python (Python 2.7 on Linux). Research indicates that: a) "Compiling" Python modules into intermediate bytecode marginally improves load time. b) The Python interpreter will use an already-prepared .pyc file if one exists in the same directory as the .py. That then, is presumably why for every .py file in my site-packages directory there is a corresponding .pyc file. Question 1: What then, are the .pyo files? I note that many of them are identical to the .pyc, but that some differ. Question 2: What happens if the .py file is changed and the .pyc is thus made obs...

Design Compiler "ACS" feature?
I've tried using Design Compiler's "Automated Chip Synthesis" feature. I have been able to complete the tutorial, and transfer the "ACS flow" onto a current in-house project. Now I'm completely lost. Why would I want to use ACS over a conventional top/down or bottom/up compile? So far, the only practical advantage of ACS is that I don't have to manually do "read -f verilog file1.v; ... file5.v." ACS will scan a directory of *.v files, and all I have to do is type "acs_read_hdl <name_of_top_module>." My site is not licensed for...

Web resources about - "Principles Of Compiler Design" answers to questions - comp.compilers