ANN: lcc-win compiler

The lcc-win compiler is a 64 bit C code generator available at no cost from

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

It has back ends for intel (all versions), power pc, and an ARM back end
is in development. It runs under linux and windows (from windows NT to
windows 10)

A JIT version is also available at request.

It supports the C99 standard.

Source is available for professional customers. It is around 1.5 Mb

It features some enhancements to the C standard:

o Operator overloading
o Default function arguments
o Generic functions

It has a very fast compilation cycle even with optimizations enabled.

jacob navia
0
jacobnavia
9/29/2016 10:22:29 AM
comp.compilers 3310 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <16-09-040@comp.compilers>, jacobnavia  <jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr> wrote:
>http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
>
>[lcc-win] has back ends for intel (all versions), power pc, and an ARM back end
>is in development. It runs under linux and windows (from windows NT to
>windows 10)

The download link wants to bring a Windows exe; I didn't see how
to d.l. a Linux executable.

Thanks!

Arnold
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins 		arnold AT skeeve DOT com

0
arnold
9/30/2016 10:16:19 AM
Le 30/09/2016 ` 12:16, Aharon Robbins a icrit :
> In article <16-09-040@comp.compilers>, jacobnavia  <jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr> wrote:
>> http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
>>
>> [lcc-win] has back ends for intel (all versions), power pc, and an ARM back end
>> is in development. It runs under linux and windows (from windows NT to
>> windows 10)
>
> The download link wants to bring a Windows exe; I didn't see how
> to d.l. a Linux executable.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Arnold
> --
> Aharon (Arnold) Robbins 		arnold AT skeeve DOT com

There is already a version (32  bits) for Linux written by Hanson and
Fraser, as everyone knows. I have developed a windows version of lcc but
for linux I haven't done so as I explained in another message.

I am trying to port lcc to ARM, and to rasbian, because a customer asked
me to do that. Luck.

The rasbien is a 32 bit version of the debian distrution for the
raspberry pi open source circuit board.

But for other versions of linux it would be quite a lot of work that I
do not see me doing for free. I have a limited life, as everyone else.

The versions of lcc-win that I developed for Linux are for specific
customers and I can't distribute that. I started, some years ago trying
to do a public version like under windows but was very quickly
overwhelmed by the variety of distributions and bewildering software
choices that would have needed full teams of people to solve.

Or maybe not.

I spent a lot of effort writing a compatibility layer for GTK that was
running until GTK changed the interface in a completely incompatible way
and I would have to restart again. I just hadn't the time (or the will)
to do that. I wrote a debugger kernel (that is very Unix like, at a
basic level linux is just Unix) that started working but then the whole
IDE with the GTK core...

I stopped.
0
jacobnavia
9/30/2016 9:32:50 PM
In article <16-10-002@comp.compilers>, jacobnavia  <jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr> wrote:
>Le 30/09/2016 ` 12:16, Aharon Robbins a icrit :
>> In article <16-09-040@comp.compilers>, jacobnavia
><jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr> wrote:
>>> http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
>>>
>>> [lcc-win] has back ends for intel (all versions), power pc, and an ARM back end
>>> is in development. It runs under linux and windows (from windows NT to windows 10)

I read this as saying that the lcc-win you distribute ran under Linux.

Sorry for the confusion.

>The versions of lcc-win that I developed for Linux are for specific
>customers and I can't distribute that. I started, some years ago trying
>to do a public version like under windows but was very quickly
>overwhelmed by the variety of distributions and bewildering software
>choices that would have needed full teams of people to solve.
>
>Or maybe not.

For a command line tool, it should be doable by one person. But agreed,
you should only tackle that if you want to.

>but then the whole
>IDE with the GTK core...
>
>I stopped.

Understandable. There are lots of IDEs out there already though.
Does your IDE add that much value?

Good luck,

Arnold